View Full Version : "Toronto hasn't won a championship in pro sports since 1993"

ArgoGabe22
05-28-2016, 10:01 AM
According to our friends at TSN....

https://twitter.com/mattblack39/status/736414564791635968

Argo57
05-28-2016, 10:11 AM
According to our friends at TSN....

https://twitter.com/mattblack39/status/736414564791635968

These talking head hosts have no clue but can sometimes read a teleprompter, love the bobble head sitting next to her nodding in agreement.
The ironic thing is this is the CANADIAN network that currently holds the CFL broadcast rights......they should be embarrassed!!!

Neely2005
05-28-2016, 10:17 AM
@MattBlack39: 🤔...Interesting, could of sworn the @CFL was a professional sports league. Meh, guess not...@TSN_Sports @CFLonTSN https://t.co/EoiDaztmsF

https://twitter.com/MattBlack39/status/736414564791635968

Neely2005
05-28-2016, 10:18 AM
@MattBlack39: 🤔...Interesting, could of sworn the @CFL was a professional sports league. Meh, guess not...@TSN_Sports @CFLonTSN https://t.co/EoiDaztmsF

https://twitter.com/MattBlack39/status/736414564791635968

With friends like these...

Johno27
05-28-2016, 10:31 AM
Silly statements are inevitable when extemporary privileges are entrusted to the ranks of the mediocre of any stripe.

1argoholic
05-28-2016, 10:42 AM
What Johno27 said!!!! Sportscentre and the Sportsnet equivalent have pretty much lost me. Both have hit the skids real hard. The young ones are totally clued but you'd expect more from someone of her age. They all try so friggin hard to kiss American ASS!!! TSN is basically ESPN North now anyhow. My punk sensibilities have me question most of our worlds mainstream shite at the best of times.

Bigger isn't better. Oh and the Craptors still have done Squat!!!! No one will remember that they lost out to the armpit of the US in a few years.

AngeloV
05-28-2016, 11:46 AM
You have to excuse her. She used to be the "hot" SC host. Now, I would say she's no better than 5 at TSN. She's obviously having a difficult time dealing with it.

jerrym
05-28-2016, 02:16 PM
As we all know, the Argos do not exist for the IN CROWD.

AngeloV
05-28-2016, 02:44 PM
You have to excuse her. She used to be the "hot" SC host. Now, I would say she's no better than 5 at TSN. She's obviously having a difficult time dealing with it.

For the record, anyone that doesn't get that this comment was made in jest, is a complete idiot. Don't PM me about it.

T-Bone
05-28-2016, 03:00 PM
For the record, anyone that doesn't get that this comment was made in jest, is a complete idiot. Don't PM me about it.
No, you're an idiot if you think it's funny to degrade women. I sent you a PM to avoid derailing this thread but so much for that.

AngeloV
05-28-2016, 03:07 PM
No, you're an idiot if you think it's funny to degrade women. I sent you a PM to avoid derailing this thread but so much for that.

And yet, here you go.

Out of respect for Wil, I will not get into this on his forum.

argonaut11xx
05-28-2016, 04:22 PM
She must have a resume in at Sportsnet.

1argoholic
05-28-2016, 08:03 PM
WOW!!!! I'm the first to care about the fair and proper treatment of women but T Bone, IT'S A FRIGGIN JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PullTogether73
05-28-2016, 10:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the National Lacrosse League pays their players (not much), making it a professional sports league as well.
Toronto Rock have won all of their titles since 1993.
And yes, TSN is the national network in Canada that carries NLL games.

T-Bone
05-29-2016, 02:13 AM
WOW!!!! I'm the first to care about the fair and proper treatment of women but T Bone, IT'S A FRIGGIN JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It seems you and AngeloV defend each other's posts without actually considering why the content is being objected to. Perhaps you should tell AngeloV's "joke" to some of your female friends or co-workers and see if they find it funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJoVHfEBGs

KCargosfan
05-29-2016, 02:29 AM

+1

ArgoRavi
05-29-2016, 02:55 AM
These talking head hosts have no clue but can sometimes read a teleprompter, love the bobble head sitting next to her nodding in agreement.
The ironic thing is this is the CANADIAN network that currently holds the CFL broadcast rights......they should be embarrassed!!!

The guy she was co-hosting with is Derek Taylor who is a huge CFL fan and compiles some incredible stats about the league which he shares on Twitter. I guess that he didn't want to be confrontational in that moment.

argonaut11xx
05-29-2016, 08:26 AM
The guy she was co-hosting with is Derek Taylor who is a huge CFL fan and compiles some incredible stats about the league which he shares on Twitter. I guess that he didn't want to be confrontational in that moment.

Im sorry Taylor doesnt get a free pass, he is an idiot for not saying anything. Especially if he is Mr CFL Statistics, "a CFL stat fetishist". hardly.

Neely2005
05-29-2016, 09:40 AM
So let me guess, TSN isn't going to address this. They're just going to ignore it and hope that it goes away.

OV Argo
05-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Im sorry Taylor doesnt get a free pass, he is an idiot for not saying anything. Especially if he is Mr CFL Statistics, "a CFL stat fetishist". hardly.

Bingo! - he's a wimp/pansy for not defending something he supposedly cares about so much from ignorance.

Just like the people who are afraid to reply to wannabes in their work-place who mock or put-down the CFL; to each his own ways but I love to tell those types to have a cup of STFU and see what they have to say then. Big-mouth wannabes, like bullies, count on people being meek or not defending things they care about, and the typical wannabe clowns who like to run their yaps with really negative comments about the CFL expect to usually get away with it without being challenged - a punch in those yaps is good IMO.

Scooter McCray
05-29-2016, 10:02 AM
Hedger has worked many GCS over the years. Incredible she would even think of saying something like that. TSN owe the league and the Argos an apology. 4 grey cup wins since BJ'S last won.

jerrym
05-29-2016, 10:49 AM
I sent the following message to TSN Contact Us which allows a maximum 500 characters (I had to shorten the message):

Hi,
During a Sports Centre broadcast, Jennifer Hedger said "The City of Toronto is hungry for a championship - Haven't had one in a professional sports league since '93 when the Toronto Blue Jays won". Derek Taylor then said "Yah".
This is a snub of the CFL and Argos who won championships in 1996, 1997, 2004, and 2012.
Does TSN plan to have Hedger and Taylor apologize on air for this mistake?
This is a shame for the official CFL broadcaster as it devalues your broadcasts in terms of sports knowledge and of the CFL.

OV Argo
05-29-2016, 02:10 PM
I sent the following message to TSN Contact Us which allows a maximum 500 characters (I had to shorten the message):

Hi,
During a Sports Centre broadcast, Jennifer Hedger said "The City of Toronto is hungry for a championship - Haven't had one in a professional sports league since '93 when the Toronto Blue Jays won". Derek Taylor then said "Yah".
This is a snub of the CFL and Argos who won championships in 1996, 1997, 2004, and 2012.
Does TSN plan to have Hedger and Taylor apologize on air for this mistake?
This is a shame for the official CFL broadcaster as it devalues your broadcasts in terms of sports knowledge and of the CFL.

Be interesting to see if they have any reply; I'll bet they ignore or bury their heads in the sand.

TSN could show some guts and address this - the home of the CFL - what a joke.

LLB997
05-29-2016, 02:15 PM

argofans.com's professional victim strikes again. its no secret sports channels hired vapid eye candy as anchors. If anything ...women should be offended. please tell me you didn't insert a laci green video?? lol....for fear of coming off as anti semetic....oy vey!!!

Wobbler
05-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Let's try to keep this on topic and avoid attacking each other, please.

AngeloV
05-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Let's try to keep this on topic and avoid attacking each other, please.

I really hope you are not referring to me here.

argonaut11xx
05-29-2016, 06:55 PM
I actually sent my first few tweets ever regarding this subject.

The more i watch the video, the more upset i get.

Toronto's BIG 4 teams are, Leafs, Argo's Jays, and Raptors so how she could say what she said, the way she said it....unbelievable.

Maybe hedger isnt a PRO broadcaster, cause she only works at a lowly Canadian network?, does she have to get a job in the USA to be a real pro?

R.J
05-29-2016, 08:58 PM
No love for the Toronto Rock who've won 6 Championships since 1999 ?

Argoknot
05-29-2016, 09:03 PM
I really hope you are not referring to me here.From what I've seen if you question TBone and his minder you get banned, you best muzzle yourself.

Argo57
05-29-2016, 09:14 PM

Which makes him even more lame Ravi.

Will
05-29-2016, 10:08 PM
What's worse: what Hedger did or the time that Steve Simmons added the caveat that "but not a lot of people care about the Argos" when discussing the same subject?

R.J
05-29-2016, 10:10 PM
What's worse: what Hedger did or the time that Steve Simmons added the caveat that "but not a lot of people care about the Argos" when discussing the same subject?
Simmons article actively telling people to stop buying Argo tickets was the worst thing I've ever seen/heard (in terms of treatment of the CFL and Argos).

R.J
05-29-2016, 10:48 PM
Even Bob Young picked up on it.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is a pretty embarrassing <a href="https://twitter.com/CFLonTSN">@CFLonTSN</a> mistake. 😬 <a href="https://t.co/qHKLlRUJLT">https://t.co/qHKLlRUJLT</a></p>&mdash; Bob Young (@CaretakerBob) <a href="https://twitter.com/CaretakerBob/status/736847422471712768">May 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will
05-29-2016, 10:49 PM
I don't think TSN has responded yet either (if they will at all)

ArgoGabe22
05-29-2016, 10:55 PM
At least one Canadian/Toronto celebrity hasn't forgotten about the team from 1873. As seen yesterday. I know he performed at half once and I've heard once before that he is a true fan. A bit before my time though haha

R.J
05-29-2016, 10:56 PM
attachment doesn't work

Will
05-29-2016, 10:57 PM
attachment doesn't work

Worked for me.

ArgoGabe22
05-29-2016, 10:58 PM
attachment doesn't work

Works for me but this will do. Can't embed from my phone sorry.

https://twitter.com/doubleblueblog/status/737111194767593472

Scooter McCray
05-29-2016, 10:59 PM
I would love to see the league respond to TSN in some way like "you know that large championship game you televise every year. The one that is the most watched TV event in Canada every year?"

Will
05-29-2016, 11:01 PM
It's strange--I don't see anything in the permissions page that suggest that registered users have been locked out from seeing attachments.

Argoknot
05-29-2016, 11:46 PM
http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://i67.tinypic.com/314ytl1.jpg

1argoholic
05-30-2016, 07:23 AM
Maestro has been a big Argo fan for years. He was on the plane with The Argoholics when we headed for Grey Cup 1991 in Winnipeg. This was when he was Fresh Wes. The guy and his well known manager partied and drank with us. The was back in the day when a Grey Cup flight was more like a house party. We all brought our own 26ers. Both he and his manager where just GREAT guys.

argonaut11xx
05-30-2016, 07:31 AM

Well i think it was determined long ago that Steve Simmons is an IDIOT,(and he doesnt work for the CFL's broadcast partner). That said Hedger and Taylor have just become pledge members of the same IDIOT club, (pending an apology).

Neely2005
05-30-2016, 07:50 AM
Even Bob Young picked up on it.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is a pretty embarrassing <a href="https://twitter.com/CFLonTSN">@CFLonTSN</a> mistake. 😬 <a href="https://t.co/qHKLlRUJLT">https://t.co/qHKLlRUJLT</a></p>&mdash; Bob Young (@CaretakerBob) <a href="https://twitter.com/CaretakerBob/status/736847422471712768">May 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

TSN may be forced to respond now.

Double Dare
05-30-2016, 08:09 AM
TSN may be forced to respond now. It takes theTICAT owner to call them out? Where's the Argos owners or Barker & Milanovich?

Double Dare
05-30-2016, 08:14 AM
+1

It seems you and AngeloV defend each other's posts without actually considering why the content is being objected to. Perhaps you should tell AngeloV's "joke" to some of your female friends or co-workers and see if they find it funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJoVHfEBGs Lame.
I work with 70% females, and many of my bosses are female, and they wouldn't be offended ... it's all in the delivery.

Kenners
05-30-2016, 09:08 AM

Acknowledge but insulted is a lil better than not being acknowledged at all, IMO.

Neely2005
05-30-2016, 09:58 AM
It takes theTICAT owner to call them out? Where's the Argos owners or Barker & Milanovich?

They're very busy. Apparently they get a free pass for the first year.
:-)

ArgoGabe22
05-30-2016, 10:05 AM
They're very busy. Apparently they get a free pass for the first year.
:-)

Barker and Milanovich couldn't care less what TSN says. Perhaps Copeland (who actually has a Twitter account) could've chimed in, even in a jokingly way.

Neely2005
05-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Barker and Milanovich couldn't care less what TSN says. Perhaps Copeland (who actually has a Twitter account) could've chimed in, even in a jokingly way.

Agreed, my comment was in regards to Michael Copeland and our ownership. It's something that they should be responding to, not Barker or Milanovich.

Argoknot
05-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Just like the people who are afraid to reply to wannabes in their work-place who mock or put-down the CFL; to each his own ways but I love to tell those types to have a cup of STFU and see what they have to say then. Big-mouth wannabes, like bullies, count on people being meek or not defending things they care about, and the typical wannabe clowns who like to run their yaps with really negative comments about the CFL expect to usually get away with it without being challenged - a punch in those yaps is good IMO.Totally true, you have to fight back (with facts) or the abuse continues. It's always funny to watch them back peddle as they are not used to having to defend the opinion and have no facts at hand to prove the point and are easily made to look hypocritical and stupid.

The argument you hear often is "it isn't the best" and "I only follow the best" For the soccer people the argument I used was for years La Liga (Spain) and the Bundesliga (Germany) were rated better leagues with better players and competitiveness than the EPL (England). Does that mean you can't watch the EPL (or MLS for that matter)

Just remember the people you are dealing with are attracted by puppy dogs and shiny objects, if you're prepared, they're easy pickins.

Argoknot
05-30-2016, 10:45 AM
Lame. I work with 70% females, and many of my bosses are female, and they wouldn't be offended ... it's all in the delivery.I get a kick out of people who feel they have to "defend" people who don't want (or need) to be defended.

I find this hilarious.

"Some recent campus actions border on the surreal.

In April, at Brandeis University, the Asian American student association sought to raise awareness of microaggressions against Asians through an installation on the steps of an academic hall. The installation gave examples of microaggressions such as “Aren’t you supposed to be good at math?” and “I’m colorblind! I don’t see race.”

But a backlash arose among other Asian American students, who felt that the display itself was a microaggression. The association removed the installation, and its president wrote an e-mail to the entire student body apologizing to anyone who was “triggered or hurt by the content of the microaggressions.”

Neely2005
05-30-2016, 10:45 AM
Totally true, you have to fight back (with facts) or the abuse continues. It's always funny to watch them back peddle as they are not used to having to defend the opinion and have no facts at hand to prove the point and are easily made to look hypocritical and stupid.

The argument you hear often is "it isn't the best" and "I only follow the best" For the soccer people the argument I used was for years La Liga (Spain) and the Bundesliga (Germany) were rated better leagues with better players and competitiveness than the EPL (England). Does that mean you can't watch the EPL (or MLS for that matter)

Just remember the people you are dealing with are attracted by puppy dogs and shiny objects, if you're prepared, they're easy pickins.

Yeah as soon as I go to these Facts they usually back down / shut up:

Highest level of Canadian Rules Football in the world.

Second highest Sports TV Ratings in Canada. (NHL is # 1)

If you like football, why wouldn't you want more football? Especially in the Summer.

Argoknot
05-30-2016, 11:04 AM
Most of these people are wannabees who are unable to stand out from the crowd. If they say they don't watch NCAA football, then you've really got them because they are not football fans at all.

R.J
05-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Worked for me.

Works for me but this will do. Can't embed from my phone sorry.

https://twitter.com/doubleblueblog/status/737111194767593472

It's strange--I don't see anything in the permissions page that suggest that registered users have been locked out from seeing attachments.
I get this message.

vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

No worries Gabe the tweet worked.

Golden Fleece
05-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Most of these people are wannabees who are unable to stand out from the crowd. If they say they don't watch NCAA football, then you've really got them because they are not football fans at all. Ha. I only watch CFL, CIS, and NFL. Guess I'm not a real football fan.

"Issues"Mcgee
05-30-2016, 07:52 PM
You gotta be some Nazi Germany level weirdo if you think rating individuals in the sex you're naturally attracted to is demeaning. It's human friggin' nature.

Ricky Ray is a straight ten all day. I'm not even gay, he is just that much of a beauty.

AngeloV
05-30-2016, 08:04 PM

I always seem to get this message:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Will
05-30-2016, 08:07 PM

I guess that's me.

Will
05-30-2016, 08:19 PM
Can someone (not me) try to view the attachment please!

Will
05-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Let's try to keep this thread on the topic of Hedger's idiotic omission. Angelo graciously agreed to drop the matter so please everyone else do the same because you're all giving me a headache.

argofan81
05-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Can someone (not me) try to view the attachment please!

I just tried the attachment again, and got the same message as before: "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Will
05-30-2016, 08:50 PM
I just tried the attachment again, and got the same message as before: "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Waah!

ArgoGabe22
05-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Waah!

Worked for me yesterday. Today, I get the same message as AV and others.

Will
05-30-2016, 08:53 PM
Worked for me yesterday. Today, I get the same message as AV and others.

I must be special!

AngeloV
05-30-2016, 09:33 PM
I must be special!

I must have done something to offend the attachment, but I can't quite figure out what that was.

OV Argo
05-30-2016, 10:50 PM
Still nothing/nadda in way of a reply from TSN on this subject? Guess they hope to just sweep it under the carpet? = pathetic - shouldn't be able to get away with that.

:sick:

ArgoRavi
05-31-2016, 02:38 AM

I always get this too. Attachments never seem to work for me.

ArgoRavi
05-31-2016, 02:40 AM
Agreed, my comment was in regards to Michael Copeland and our ownership. It's something that they should be responding to, not Barker or Milanovich.

Is it really necessary for Copeland to respond to Hedger's idiotic comment? More than enough CFL fans responded to it and she looks foolish for saying it. Copeland chiming in or not chiming in at this point seems unnecessary, especially as I am sure he has much better things to do.

PullTogether73
05-31-2016, 03:32 AM
Still nothing/nadda in way of a reply from TSN on this subject? Guess they hope to just sweep it under the carpet? = pathetic - shouldn't be able to get away with that.

:sick:

Agreed.

Perhaps they feel no need to respond as they can claim that the comment wasn't scripted but merely an improvised comment from one of its hosts, which they can't control.

Nonetheless, a comment/correction/apology from either TSN or Hedger would be good PR in this situation.

AngeloV
05-31-2016, 09:15 AM
I think some of us are way too sensitive about this situation. Who really cares? She made herself look dumb, and was bombarded on twitter afterwards. That's good enough for me.

Argoknot
05-31-2016, 12:22 PM
I think some of us are way too sensitive about this situation. Who really cares? She made herself look dumb, and was bombarded on twitter afterwards. That's good enough for me.Nope, you can't take that garbage that she said, knowingly or unknowingly. The Toronto centric media piled on the CFL and kicked it when it was down in the 90s, helping to almost damn near kill the league, can't let that happen again. When you become the butt of a bad joke it doesn't stop, you have to make sure it doesn't start.

Argoknot
05-31-2016, 12:27 PM
Perhaps they feel no need to respond as they can claim that the comment wasn't scripted but merely an improvised comment from one of its hosts, which they can't control.They are responsible for everything that goes over the air on their watch. Remember the infamous Janet Jackson nip slip, as ridiculous and blameless as it was everybody involved had to take ownership (not saying that was TSN, can't remember what network it was - Fox?).

jerrym
05-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Let's try to keep this thread on the topic of Hedger's idiotic omission. Angelo graciously agreed to drop the matter so please everyone else do the same because you're all giving me a headache.

Thanks for all your effort in trying to keep things on topic and in line. It ain't easy.

1argoholic
05-31-2016, 01:17 PM
Oh my oh my Angelo, you said she made herself look dumb!!! Here we go again with you putting down women!!!! hahahaha! I kill me!!!

Neely2005
05-31-2016, 01:26 PM
Is it really necessary for Copeland to respond to Hedger's idiotic comment? More than enough CFL fans responded to it and she looks foolish for saying it. Copeland chiming in or not chiming in at this point seems unnecessary, especially as I am sure he has much better things to do.

Yes, much like Bob Young and Matt Black did he could have at least made light of it on Twitter.

T-Bone
05-31-2016, 03:55 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was referring to the &quot;big 4&quot; sports leagues. The CFL and NLL is often overlooked when comparing Can and US cities. I regret the analogy.</p>&mdash; Jennifer Hedger (@jenniferhedger) <a href="https://twitter.com/jenniferhedger/status/737716974587924480">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Can we still be friends, fans of the CFL?</p>&mdash; Jennifer Hedger (@jenniferhedger) <a href="https://twitter.com/jenniferhedger/status/737717127524843520">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

paulwoods13
05-31-2016, 04:21 PM
And NLL? What's that, Natl Lacrosse League? Does this mean she thinks MLS is even below lacrosse?

Wobbler
05-31-2016, 04:24 PM
I don't care that she overlooked the CFL, but I'm offended by the misuse of the word analogy!

Scooter McCray
05-31-2016, 04:26 PM
This is a terrible response. It is not an apology and it doesn't make right her inference. Why was it even necessary to compare CAN vs USA. Those players that earned those 4 GC championships are full worth for their efforts to win those championships. They are championships period in a professional league period. A league with over 100 years of history. Admit it and move on. It's that simple.

T-Bone
05-31-2016, 04:28 PM
And NLL? What's that, Natl Lacrosse League? Does this mean she thinks MLS is even below lacrosse?

I don't care that she overlooked the CFL, but I'm offended by the misuse of the word analogy!
http://mac.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/14/49/5482d5c3c841e_-_back_away_slowly.gif

ArgoGabe22
05-31-2016, 04:42 PM
She should've just apologized. No need for the "big 4" excuse. She actually made the situation much worse in the eyes of CFL fans.

I also read someone defend her original statement because Cleveland doesn't have a NLL or a CFL team, in response to her apology. How this makes any sense is beyond me. I listened to it again and she said "Toronto hasn't seen a championship in pro sports since 1993". No mention of Cleveland or the "Big 4". She clearly said pro sports. TSN does cover NLL, MLS and of course the CFL exclusively so not only is her original statement wrong (and laughable), so is her apology.

Neely2005
05-31-2016, 07:30 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was referring to the &quot;big 4&quot; sports leagues. The CFL and NLL is often overlooked when comparing Can and US cities. I regret the analogy.</p>&mdash; Jennifer Hedger (@jenniferhedger) <a href="https://twitter.com/jenniferhedger/status/737716974587924480">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Can we still be friends, fans of the CFL?</p>&mdash; Jennifer Hedger (@jenniferhedger) <a href="https://twitter.com/jenniferhedger/status/737717127524843520">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

The Big 4 in Toronto is the leafs, Argonauts, Blue Jays and Raptors.

R.J
05-31-2016, 07:38 PM
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/tsn-s-jennifer-hedger-apologizes-for-excluding-cfl-in-toronto-championship-talk-230607640.html

IMO "The Big 4" in the U.S is different than the "Big 4" in Canada.

TheHammer
05-31-2016, 08:03 PM
The Big 4 in Toronto is the leafs, Argonauts, Blue Jays and Raptors.

Why? Because there's no NFL in Toronto? That's like saying because there's no MLB or NBA in Buffalo, then their 'Big 4' is the Bills, Sabres, Bisons and Bandits. The four leagues in The Big Four are NBA, NHL, MLB and NFL. That's it. We need to just settle down and not get so defensive about these perceived slights. The Dean Blundells and Dan Bilikis know exactly what to say to get us riled up, and they love it. We need to act like we don't care what people think.

Neely2005
05-31-2016, 08:21 PM
Why? Because there's no NFL in Toronto? That's like saying because there's no MLB or NBA in Buffalo, then their 'Big 4' is the Bills, Sabres, Bisons and Bandits. The four leagues in The Big Four are NBA, NHL, MLB and NFL. That's it. We need to just settle down and not get so defensive about these perceived slights. The Dean Blundells and Dan Bilikis know exactly what to say to get us riled up, and they love it. We need to act like we don't care what people think.

Because the TV Ratings say so:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/key-cfl-television-ratings-increase-surprise-southern-ontario-183017606.html

AngeloV
05-31-2016, 08:23 PM

I can't disagree with any of this. It's not going to stop me from enjoying going to the games, as I have for many, many years.

TheHammer
05-31-2016, 08:29 PM
I can't disagree with any of this. It's not going to stop me from enjoying going to the games, as I have for many, many years.

I think we're getting worse than soccer fans.

TheHammer
05-31-2016, 08:31 PM
Because the TV Ratings say so:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/key-cfl-television-ratings-increase-surprise-southern-ontario-183017606.html

Figure skating, curling and pro wrestling get great ratings too, but they aren't Big 4 either.

R.J
05-31-2016, 08:36 PM
Figure skating, curling and pro wrestling get great ratings too, but they aren't Big 4 either.
CFL should be considered part of the Big 4 here in Canada - It's the second most popular League in Canada after the NHL. Second in tv ratings, radio ratings and merchandise. Would be nice if our media wasn't so obsessed with almost everything to do with the U.S.

Neely2005
05-31-2016, 08:55 PM

The NHL gets the highest Sports TV Ratings in Canada, the CFL is # 2. The Grey Cup is the highest rated event on TSN. Figure skating, curling and pro wrestling can't make the same claims

R.J
05-31-2016, 09:04 PM
Wrestling hasn't gotten good ratings in about a decade, so I'm not sure why it's brought up in the same category as curling or the CFL.

Argoknot
05-31-2016, 09:10 PM
Even though it was a half assed attempt at an "apology" it, at least, admits to wrong doing. And the second paragraph clearly acknowledges that she pissed off a significant number of fans of a significant network property. I think TSN definitely noticed.

TheHammer
05-31-2016, 09:29 PM
Even though it was a half assed attempt at an "apology" it, at least, admits to wrong doing. And the second paragraph clearly acknowledges that she pissed off a significant number of fans of a significant network property. I think TSN definitely noticed.

For sure they did. Nothing else should be said of it. I'm just getting tired of the constant whining about every perceived slight against the CFL. Act like we don't care and then maybe people will treat the CFL more seriously. Are other peoples opinions or slights really going to effect your enjoyment of our wonderful game?

argos1873
05-31-2016, 09:29 PM
When was the last time TSN won an Emmy, or cracked the top 100 of the US television ratings? Oh never? I guess they can't be considered "pro" either.

TheHammer
05-31-2016, 09:40 PM
People just need to chill and let the football do the talking.

I remember when I went to University (I went to Brock) and I made friends with guys from many different areas of Ontario (K-W, Guelph, Ajax, Kincardine, London) and we are still friends to this day. We were all sports fans. I, being from Hamilton, was the only CFL fan. At first, they used to joke and throw jabs about the CFL all the time. I just laughed it off, shrugged my shoulders and ignored it. But as time went on, they saw me watching the CFL, and it slowly went from mocking it to watching it with me. They still used to pretend to not like it, but I knew they liked it in secret, as they interestingly always showed up in front of the TV whenever I was watching a game. Eventually, they admitted to enjoying the games. I took them to a game in Hamilton, and they had a blast. They wanted to go to more. We all have families and live in different cities, but whenever we get together, we always talk sports. They admit they don't follow the CFL closely, but watch it sometimes and they clearly still enjoy it.

I feel if I had so vehemently defended the CFL at the start, they would have realized how easy it was to rile me up about it, and the CFL would have never stood a chance in their eyes. Instead, I exposed them to the game and let the football do the talking.

argos1873
05-31-2016, 10:43 PM

I remember when I went to University (I went to Brock) and I made friends with guys from many different areas of Ontario (K-W, Guelph, Ajax, Kincardine, London) and we are still friends to this day. We were all sports fans. I, being from Hamilton, was the only CFL fan. At first, they used to joke and throw jabs about the CFL all the time. I just laughed it off, shrugged my shoulders and ignored it. But as time went on, they saw me watching the CFL, and it slowly went from mocking it to watching it with me. They still used to pretend to not like it, but I knew they liked it in secret, as they interestingly always showed up in front of the TV whenever I was watching a game. Eventually, they admitted to enjoying the games. I took them to a game in Hamilton, and they had a blast. They wanted to go to more. We all have families and live in different cities, but whenever we get together, we always talk sports. They admit they don't follow the CFL closely, but watch it sometimes and they clearly still enjoy it.

I feel if I had so vehemently defended the CFL at the start, they would have realized how easy it was to rile me up about it, and the CFL would have never stood a chance in their eyes. Instead, I exposed them to the game and let the football do the talking.

Well said. I'm hoping a great atmosphere at BMO makes some of these people turn into fans, even if just "secret fans". It will take a long time if ever, for many people to consider the CFL Major League. Heck, I'm a huge fan and I don't exactly consider it Major League, on the grand scale (considering a North American context), more of a semi-Major League. Of course it always will be the Major League of Canadian rules Football, and that's good enough for me.

TheHammer
05-31-2016, 11:03 PM
Well said. I'm hoping a great atmosphere at BMO makes some of these people turn into fans, even if just "secret fans". It will take a long time if ever, for many people to consider the CFL Major League. Heck, I'm a huge fan and I don't exactly consider it Major League, on the grand scale (considering a North American context), more of a semi-Major League. Of course it always will be the Major League of Canadian rules Football, and that's good enough for me.

I think there are a lot of secret fans in Toronto. The ratings say so. They'll come around after the move to BMO I think. It worked for Montreal, it could work for Toronto too.

OV Argo
05-31-2016, 11:21 PM
Oh thank you so much Jennifer - and of course people should realize the context and true meaning of your comments: the CFL is only this minor little Canadian only semi-pro league and not to be confused with the "big four" of real pro sports. Please excuse those overly sensitive little CFL fans getting upset at you for nothing = they should get with the program and realize the CFL should not be considered a real pro sport - so what if the Argos won some of those Gray Cups (is that what they're called? = how quaint) = not good enough for "world class"/ "major league" Torronnawannabe land (if only we had an NFL franchise). How bout those Raptors & Jays though, eh, er, huh. Please say hi to your co-workers at TSN and tell them to try and watch some CFL ball this coming season - maybe if the Jays are not on TV that day. We're still friends - love you Jen and say hi to Larry Tannenbaum too for me when you see him - maybe he will get to run a real football team one day. Gotta run now - off to an NFL fantasy draft thingy with my co-workers (should I pick Johnny Manziel or Gronk? - such a tough call - they're both soooo sexy) - wouldn't dare upset them by mentioning the Argos or the CFL - that's the best way to deal with that silly little nuisance of a sport league your bosses somehow see fit to broadcast - pretend it doesn't really exist.

Ta-ta!

:love:

jerrym
05-31-2016, 11:31 PM
For sure they did. Nothing else should be said of it. I'm just getting tired of the constant whining about every perceived slight against the CFL. Act like we don't care and then maybe people will treat the CFL more seriously. Are other peoples opinions or slights really going to effect your enjoyment of our wonderful game?

If you don't stand up for what you value, how can you expect anyone else to value it?

ArgoGabe22
05-31-2016, 11:41 PM
I think there is difference replying to trolls and replying to someone like Hedger, who shouldn't have made that mistake in the first place given its her job to cover all sports, plus she works at TSN.

argos1873
06-01-2016, 12:37 AM
Meh, the older I get the thicker my skin becomes. I used to get really riled up when people would put down the CFL, and I still do on occasion. But everyone who knows me now, knows not to talk trash about the CFL around me, because I made my points, and they know they can't win. Doesn't mean they are now fans, but I'm not interested in making anyone a fan who doesn't want to be. Like I said above the game will sell itself if it can, and if not it always has me and others like me and will still be great as a result, not as good as it should be, but we can only change what's in our sphere of influence, and sometimes that only includes ourselves. For me I have a new challenge, I'm off to live in Ottawa tomorrow, and I'll bring the Argo spirit with me. As an Argo fan the timing is bad, because if I stayed in Toronto this would be the first year I could realistically afford season seats, but its not to be. I'll miss out on BMO, but I hope to catch a game later on in the year, and hope to catch the July game at Lansdowne. I'm going to try to fly my Argo flag at my house on game days, and for a week after if they win, I'll see how that goes. Enjoy the tailgating, I hope that works out well. There's a lot I'll miss about this city, but a lot I won't. But I'll be an even lonelier Argo fan, but I'll do my best to keep the Argo spirit and CFL spirit alive up there. Have fun at BMO boys.

jerrym
06-01-2016, 02:58 AM
Meh, the older I get the thicker my skin becomes. I used to get really riled up when people would put down the CFL, and I still do on occasion. But everyone who knows me now, knows not to talk trash about the CFL around me, because I made my points, and they know they can't win. Doesn't mean they are now fans, but I'm not interested in making anyone a fan who doesn't want to be. Like I said above the game will sell itself if it can, and if not it always has me and others like me and will still be great as a result, not as good as it should be, but we can only change what's in our sphere of influence, and sometimes that only includes ourselves. For me I have a new challenge, I'm off to live in Ottawa tomorrow, and I'll bring the Argo spirit with me. As an Argo fan the timing is bad, because if I stayed in Toronto this would be the first year I could realistically afford season seats, but its not to be. I'll miss out on BMO, but I hope to catch a game later on in the year, and hope to catch the July game at Lansdowne. I'm going to try to fly my Argo flag at my house on game days, and for a week after if they win, I'll see how that goes. Enjoy the tailgating, I hope that works out well. There's a lot I'll miss about this city, but a lot I won't. But I'll be an even lonelier Argo fan, but I'll do my best to keep the Argo spirit and CFL spirit alive up there. Have fun at BMO boys.

Have a good time in Ottawa.

KCargosfan
06-01-2016, 03:55 AM
This is a terrible response. It is not an apology and it doesn't make right her inference. Why was it even necessary to compare CAN vs USA. Those players that earned those 4 GC championships are full worth for their efforts to win those championships. They are championships period in a professional league period. A league with over 100 years of history. Admit it and move on. It's that simple.

Concur. That was not the way to handle it.

jerrym
06-01-2016, 04:15 AM
Concur. That was not the way to handle it.

I agree. It was worse than saying nothing.

Argoknot
06-01-2016, 06:49 AM
Oh thank you so much Jennifer - and of course people should realize the context and true meaning of your comments: the CFL is only this minor little Canadian only semi-pro league and not to be confused with the "big four" of real pro sports. Please excuse those overly sensitive little CFL fans getting upset at you for nothing = they should get with the program and realize the CFL should not be considered a real pro sport - so what if the Argos won some of those Gray Cups (is that what they're called? = how quaint) = not good enough for "world class"/ "major league" Torronnawannabe land (if only we had an NFL franchise). How bout those Raptors & Jays though, eh, er, huh. Please say hi to your co-workers at TSN and tell them to try and watch some CFL ball this coming season - maybe if the Jays are not on TV that day. We're still friends - love you Jen and say hi to Larry Tannenbaum too for me when you see him - maybe he will get to run a real football team one day. Gotta run now - off to an NFL fantasy draft thingy with my co-workers (should I pick Johnny Manziel or Gronk? - such a tough call - they're both soooo sexy) - wouldn't dare upset them by mentioning the Argos or the CFL - that's the best way to deal with that silly little nuisance of a sport league your bosses somehow see fit to broadcast - pretend it doesn't really exist.Hammer, nail, head

Argoknot
06-01-2016, 06:52 AM
If you don't stand up for what you value, how can you expect anyone else to value it?Right on, again.

1argoholic
06-01-2016, 07:24 AM
As I've said before, I don't love any mainstream CRAP. Just because it's bigger doesn't mean better! I'll take our CFL and a quality craft beer while enjoying a burger made from a local farmers beef. The world has become a messed up reality for many. Big companies own everything and market to the masses of brainless asses. TSN is no different.

Mulder
06-01-2016, 08:21 AM

You'll love living in Ottawa compared to Toronto. You may even join the Redblacks side :P I don't regret moving here at all.

TheHammer
06-01-2016, 08:46 AM
My overall thoughts:

1) It was an oversight. We are making a much bigger deal out of this then it really is.

2) She may not have been trolling, but still overreacting to this does not reflect well on the league. The Blundells and Bilikis look at our reaction to this and say "Aw, look at them, defending their little league, how ADORABLE'. I still say overreacting is the ultimate sign of desperation. Shrug it off and the haters have no reaction to hang on to.

3) We need to get used to, and even embrace the fact that the CFL is the 2nd most successful pro football league in the world. Not the 1st. For 99% of players, the NFL is the ultimate destination. Like hockey players shoot for the NHL (not KHL or Swiss League) and soccer players shoot for Premier League (not MLS). We are the KHL or MLS. And there is nothing wrong with that.

OV Argo
06-01-2016, 08:52 AM
You'll love living in Ottawa compared to Toronto. You may even join the Redblacks side :P I don't regret moving here at all.

Excellent ! Welcome to Ottawa !

Make sure to wear some Argos gear around town 1873 (CFL TCs have started - time to sport more CFL gear than during the off-season = today I am going with my Argos hockey style jersey - that has "EST. 1873" on the front); and join in with my Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgoooooooos ! howl when I give it to those wussie RedBlacks fans in the stands at Lansdowne (sorry- can't stand to refer to it as TD Place - named after a scum-bag institution).

1argoholic
06-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Agree with OV as these stadium names are yet another piss off in the times we live. How long before jersey's look like European Hockey just covered in corporate BS.

Ottawa is a sweet town.

LLB997
06-01-2016, 09:29 AM

my brother lives in Manotick. ya, Ottawa is a great town. Love visiting there.

OV Argo
06-01-2016, 09:55 AM
My overall thoughts:

1) It was an oversight. We are making a much bigger deal out of this then it really is.

2) She may not have been trolling, but still overreacting to this does not reflect well on the league. The Blundells and Bilikis look at our reaction to this and say "Aw, look at them, defending their little league, how ADORABLE'. I still say overreacting is the ultimate sign of desperation. Shrug it off and the haters have no reaction to hang on to.

3) We need to get used to, and even embrace the fact that the CFL is the 2nd most successful pro football league in the world. Not the 1st. For 99% of players, the NFL is the ultimate destination. Like hockey players shoot for the NHL (not KHL or Swiss League) and soccer players shoot for Premier League (not MLS). We are the KHL or MLS. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Disagree, basically, with all 3 of your points. That is one way to look at the matter, and we're all entitled to our opinions, but i have a major issue or differing opinion on the mind-set you seem to show.

The CFL IS the highest level of CANADIAN football = period, end of story there = it is not the same game as American football - tons of differences; and while European hockey has some slight differences from Canadian hockey, and soccer is soccer - the differences between the 2 games of gridiron football are many and key and that helps make the CFL & Canadian football unique (along with a deeper, more storied history than the NFL). If some Canadians feel the need to compare things here to whatever in the USA - bully for them; and if some think it's all about the most money or "success" or media adulation - that's swell too. Want to think the CFL is 2nd best or 2nd rate and that will have to do/nothing wrong with that - knock yourself out; sorry I can't share that view however = maybe more a polite little Canadian inferiority complex thing ? I somehow doubt that sports media and soccer fans in Germany or Italy go around bad mouthing or dissing their pro league because it isn't the English Premier League; and I doubt tons of hockey fans and sports reporters in Sweden or Russia look down their noses at their elite pro leagues either because they aren't "successful" like the NHL. This CFL is 2nd rate attitude is IMO a glaring example of pathetic wannabeness that is so prevalent in Canada - lots of lemmings led to follow or believe things by clueless media hacks & clowns (right Jen?) - and this demands to be called for what it is, instead of just a shrug of the shoulders or silent acceptance.

PullTogether73
06-01-2016, 10:15 AM

I can't agree.

The recent CBS Sports (online) snub of the Raptors by listing them as "Other" matches this perfectly imo.
That situation had the Toronto sports media up in arms and even the mayor criticized it.

Say nothing, expect nothing, in terms of respect.

ArgoGabe22
06-01-2016, 10:38 AM
I actually agree somewhat with OV.

I enjoy all football but the comparisons with the NFL need to stop and the CFL needs to be appreciated more for what it is. If the Blundells see the reactions online then they are probably following the team/league a lot more than they would like to admit. I also don't see it as desperation. If you're passionate about something then there is no harm in standing up for it, say what needs to be said and move on. Whether that's politics, sports or corporations doing something you don't agree with. As long as people don't harass Hedger in the process and make themselves (fans) look foolish. I think people are forgetting Hedger's original comment "Toronto hasn't seen a championship in PRO sports since '93 when Jays won WS". All Hedger had to do was own up to the mistake she forgot about the Argos but instead she went on to make a excuse that she was referring to the "Big 4", which really makes little sense on her part since the CFL is huge for TSN - perhaps 2nd behind the NHL. Plus, there is no NFL team in Toronto. As a PRO athlete like Matt Black, how could you not take a little offense to that? Once again the Toronto media has completely forgotten about the Argos. If there is little to no chatter by fans then I would find that to be concerning. Where was John Tory to save the day like he did when the Raps were called "Other"? If any other team was left out, she would've have received the same response, if not worse.

I'm also not sure anyone here is overreacting, this is a Argos board after all so it will be discussed more in length here than anywhere else.

AngeloV
06-01-2016, 10:43 AM

You may be from the Hammer, but you're all right in my books.

:D

Neely2005
06-01-2016, 11:44 AM
I can't agree.

The recent CBS Sports (online) snub of the Raptors by listing them as "Other" matches this perfectly imo.
That situation had the Toronto sports media up in arms and even the mayor criticized it.

That's a great point!

R.J
06-01-2016, 12:31 PM
The States does give a rats behind about us, so why do we give them the time of day ?
What is the reason for our media's obsession ?

Argoknot
06-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Disagree, basically, with all 3 of your points. That is one way to look at the matter, and we're all entitled to our opinions, but i have a major issue or differing opinion on the mind-set you seem to show.

If some Canadians feel the need to compare things here to whatever in the USA - bully for them; and if some think it's all about the most money or "success" or media adulation - that's swell too. Want to think the CFL is 2nd best or 2nd rate and that will have to do/nothing wrong with that - knock yourself out; sorry I can't share that view however = maybe more a polite little Canadian inferiority complex thing ? I somehow doubt that sports media and soccer fans in Germany or Italy go around bad mouthing or dissing their pro league because it isn't the English Premier League; and I doubt tons of hockey fans and sports reporters in Sweden or Russia look down their noses at their elite pro leagues either because they aren't "successful" like the NHL. This CFL is 2nd rate attitude is IMO a glaring example of pathetic wannabeness that is so prevalent in Canada - lots of lemmings led to follow or believe things by clueless media hacks & clowns (right Jen?) - and this demands to be called for what it is, instead of just a shrug of the shoulders or silent acceptance.Couldn't agree more.

Argoknot
06-01-2016, 12:48 PM
I enjoy all football but the comparisons with the NFL need to stop and the CFL needs to be appreciated more for what it is.

I think people are forgetting Hedger's original comment "Toronto hasn't seen a championship in PRO sports since '93 when Jays won WS". All Hedger had to do was own up to the mistake she forgot about the Argos but instead she went on to make a excuse that she was referring to the "Big 4", which really makes little sense on her part since the CFL is huge for TSN - perhaps 2nd behind the NHL. Plus, there is no NFL team in Toronto. As a PRO athlete like Matt Black, how could you not take a little offense to that? If any other team was left out, she would've have received the same response, if not worse.

I'm also not sure anyone here is overreacting, this is a Argos board after all so it will be discussed more in length here than anywhere else.Totally agree.

The best thing I ever heard about how to take care of business in this type of thing came from good ol Steve Douglas (Freddy Mac) from "My Three Sons" He told the Chipper to fight back when bullied. Sure, you'll still get an ass whippin' but the next time buddy will think twice if he's gonna be inconvenienced a little bit. Next time Hedger and some of the other wannabe idiots will think twice before doing something so stupid. If there hadn't have been an outcry her comment would have been made tacitly acceptable for others to repeat the behaviour.

Post script: If you know the episode, Chipper was a psycho and was bullying another kid but hey good advice from Freddy Mac is good advice.

1argoholic
06-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Once again I agree with OV.

TheHammer
06-01-2016, 01:28 PM
The CFL IS the highest level of CANADIAN football = period, end of story there = it is not the same game as American football - tons of differences; and while European hockey has some slight differences from Canadian hockey, and soccer is soccer - the differences between the 2 games of gridiron football are many and key and that helps make the CFL & Canadian football unique.

Totally agree that we are the highest level of Canadian football. But NFL and CFL are two versions of the same sport. There are still more similarities then differences between the two. Both require the basic skills of running, catching, throwing and tackling.

I can't agree.

Yeah, and people overreacted to the CBS poll, too.

For your second point, it's often the strong, silent types who get the most respect. They certainly do in my books. There's nothing wrong with standing up for the league, but when you say too much, they end up hearing nothing. Pick the battles that are important. This Hedger thing is not that important.

You may be from the Hammer, but you're all right in my books.

:D

Thanks!

We always laugh at whiny soccer fans. We are now becoming whiny CFL fans.

AngeloV
06-01-2016, 01:32 PM
We always laugh at whiny soccer fans. We are now becoming whiny CFL fans.

Some certainly are, but the majority aren't. At least that's my opinion.

Argo57
06-01-2016, 07:43 PM

Well thought out posts, full sentences, university educated and from the Hammer.
You're a keeper buddy!!

TheHammer
06-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Well thought out posts, full sentences, university educated and from the Hammer.
You're a keeper buddy!!

Thanks. Some of us are good people 😄

jerrym
06-02-2016, 01:55 AM
Agree with OV as these stadium names are yet another piss off in the times we live. How long before jersey's look like European Hockey just covered in corporate BS.

Ottawa is a sweet town.

Couldn't agree more on both points, having lived in Ottawa several decades ago for seven years.

jerrym
06-02-2016, 01:57 AM
Totally agree.

The best thing I ever heard about how to take care of business in this type of thing came from good ol Steve Douglas (Freddy Mac) from "My Three Sons" He told the Chipper to fight back when bullied. Sure, you'll still get an ass whippin' but the next time buddy will think twice if he's gonna be inconvenienced a little bit. Next time Hedger and some of the other wannabe idiots will think twice before doing something so stupid. If there hadn't have been an outcry her comment would have been made tacitly acceptable for others to repeat the behaviour.

Post script: If you know the episode, Chipper was a psycho and was bullying another kid but hey good advice from Freddy Mac is good advice.

You summed it up perfectly.

Will
06-02-2016, 08:32 AM
I don't know about everybody else, but I've moved on from this controversy.

AngeloV
06-02-2016, 12:07 PM

Agreed.

argonaut11xx
06-02-2016, 12:22 PM

I'd suggest that when the next idiot slams the CFL, or the Argo's they be given "The Hedger Award" by Argofans.com

(Jerry M made reference to this in some other post, he would get credit for its inception)

AngeloV
06-02-2016, 12:31 PM
I'd suggest that when the next idiot slams the CFL, or the Argo's they be given "The Hedger Award" by Argofans.com

(Jerry M made reference to this in some other post, he would get credit for its inception)

We can bring back a form of the Hebsy's, only call them the Hedgy's.

Argoknot
06-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Perhaps a small statuette of Paul Godfrey for the winner. At first I thought of Ted Rogers but that might not be fair.

1argoholic
06-02-2016, 04:16 PM
You could give out Teddy bobble heads based on his statue. All great ideas actually. The Godfrey would have to be made up to look very stupid. Wait just do an exact replica of his mug.

AngeloV
06-02-2016, 04:51 PM
You could give out Teddy bobble heads based on his statue. All great ideas actually. The Godfrey would have to be made up to look very stupid. Wait just do an exact replica of his mug.

For a rich man, why does Godfrey always look somewhat vagrant like?

R.J
06-02-2016, 04:53 PM
For a rich man, why does Godfrey always look somewhat vagrant like?
Can't beat Mark Davis.

argotom
06-02-2016, 06:34 PM

Agreed, it's sad of course and as it happens so often here in the media I/we have become used to it.

AngeloV
06-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Can't beat Mark Davis.

Davis looks more neanderthal like, but Godfrey definitely is the vagrant champ.

Will
06-02-2016, 06:53 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/Vincent_Gigante.(mug_shot).jpg

Vinny "The Chin" has got to be the best vagrant rich guy out there, but in his case it was very deliberate.

AngeloV
06-02-2016, 07:32 PM

Vinny "The Chin" has got to be the best vagrant rich guy out there, but in his case it was very deliberate.

Damn you and your lousy attachments that I can't open.

Argoknot
06-02-2016, 09:46 PM
For a rich man, why does Godfrey always look somewhat vagrant like?Maybe he looks like a bum because he lost all his money betting the NFL would be in Toronto for the past 40 years.

argos1873
06-03-2016, 11:06 PM

I'm loving it so far, especially the traffic situation. I may one day put the Redblacks as my second favorite team, but for now it's still all Argos.

Still a bit sad about leaving TO when games are going to get super fun (IMHO) and I can finally afford seasons, but I guess I can save that money for a road trip or two to check out BMO, if tickets are available. I really want to see how the tailgating goes.

argos1873
06-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Excellent ! Welcome to Ottawa !

Make sure to wear some Argos gear around town 1873 (CFL TCs have started - time to sport more CFL gear than during the off-season = today I am going with my Argos hockey style jersey - that has "EST. 1873" on the front); and join in with my Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgoooooooos ! howl when I give it to those wussie RedBlacks fans in the stands at Lansdowne (sorry- can't stand to refer to it as TD Place - named after a scum-bag institution).

I already saw more people with CFL swag than I ever did in Toronto, but it wasn't Arby's stuff, more Western teams like the Bombers and of course the Riders. I'm loaded up on Argo gear, and like I said I'm going to display my Argo flag on my house...the previous owners even left the pole with a ratty faded Canadian flag on it, I didn't think they were going to do that so its ready already.

R.J
06-08-2016, 11:35 AM
An Open Letter To TSN’s Jennifer Hedger
http://www.argosendzone.com/open-letter-jennifer-hedger/

1argoholic
06-08-2016, 11:42 AM
That's pretty good.

T-Bone
06-08-2016, 12:12 PM
An Open Letter To TSN’s Jennifer Hedger (http://www.argosendzone.com/open-letter-jennifer-hedger/)
Hedger's mistake has nothing to do with her looks or her marriage. The stretch just to get in some Rogers bashing is embarrsing.

Wobbler
06-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Can't we just let this die already?

paulwoods13
06-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Ridiculous to make it personal.

T-Bone
06-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Ridiculous to make it personal.
Exactly. Yes, she made a mistake. Yes, her apology was weak. If you're going take the time to do something like that, at least make it clever and funny like Tory did with the #WeTheOther
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As Mayor of &quot;Other&quot; I felt the need to talk to <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSports">@CBSSports</a> about their poll. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WetheOther?src=hash">#WetheOther</a> <a href="https://t.co/CYRqOljXHc">pic.twitter.com/CYRqOljXHc</a></p>&mdash; John Tory (@JohnTory) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnTory/status/732640163969544195">May 17, 2016</a></blockquote>

AngeloV
06-08-2016, 01:43 PM
I personally found the letter hilarious. Why does everyone have to be so serious?

paulwoods13
06-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Why do anonymous bloggers think they have permission to launch personal attacks against public figures? Sure, criticize or even make fun of a dumb thing she said. But criticizing her choice of a life partner is as intelligent and mature as saying, "You're fat and ugly."

AngeloV
06-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Still think you're taking it way too seriously.

T-Bone
06-08-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm not surprised you would.

LMFAO!! I wonder if he has to have dinner with that disgusting looking couple they show on TV during each of their home games. Dude in make-up wearing tall Cat in the hat hat.

R.J
06-08-2016, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the open letter was made in jest - someone just joking around, but I've been told humour is subjective so..................

AngeloV
06-08-2016, 04:04 PM
I'm not surprised you would.

Wow. You really are obsessed with me aren't you? Why else would you waste your time to bring up a post from last year in a completely different thread?

3 words moron: SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP.

At least you've stopped with the harassing PM's.

T-Bone
06-08-2016, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure the open letter was made in jest - someone just joking around, but I've been told humour is subjective so..................
Humour is subjective to a certian point, but there is a line. A lot of times when someone says something stupid and they are called out on it their go to is "It was just a joke." That doesn't magically wash away the problem with the statment. Not only is this guys open letter a week late to the party but how is making things personal with Hedger by bring up her marriage or her apperance funny?

Rich
06-08-2016, 04:18 PM

That's because Paul is a gentleman.

Wobbler
06-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Seriously guys, lets drop this. Hint.

AngeloV
06-08-2016, 04:35 PM
That's because Paul is a gentleman.

Yes he is. A very good guy.

paulwoods13
06-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks, everyone, but these kind words are not necessary. In any case, I echo Wobbler, let's just drop it.

Will
06-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Yes, let sleeping dogs lie.

Also, the specific targeting of forum members for harassment is not tolerated.

Ron
06-08-2016, 07:06 PM
Very nice open letter. Looked like something i would have wrote 15 years ago. Who doesn't love a CFL conspiracy! ;)

Will
06-08-2016, 07:42 PM
I also felt that the article was written in a more "joking" tone as well.
Rogers may be responsible for many things, but this clearly isn't one of them.

AngeloV
06-08-2016, 08:49 PM
I also felt that the article was written in a more "joking" tone as well.
Rogers may be responsible for many things, but this clearly isn't one of them.

Which is why I found it funny.

OV Argo
06-08-2016, 11:32 PM
Poor Jen - leave her alone please - all you overly sensitive fans of that little minor league CFL.

Drop it indeed - especially after that fantastic response/"apology" from Jen & TSN = what the cripes more do you expect ? ;o)

:ohno::sick:

ArgoRavi
06-08-2016, 11:48 PM
I just read the article and it was definitely written "tongue in cheek".

PullTogether73
06-08-2016, 11:56 PM
"Tongue in cheek" and "in bad taste" are not mutually exclusive.

Intended as humour - yes.
The execution was lacking imo though.

OV Argo
06-09-2016, 12:29 AM
Any feedback from Jen's co-host during her gaf comment? - this Taylor guy is supposedly a huge CFL fan/stats junkie; yet he said ZERO in reply to Jen's moron comment, when he had the chance to step-up and say something instead of just nodding in agreement? - just another good little sheep "journalist" who dared not rock the boat ?

Ron
06-09-2016, 01:52 AM
Any feedback from Jen's co-host during her gaf comment? - this Taylor guy is supposedly a huge CFL fan/stats junkie; yet he said ZERO in reply to Jen's moron comment, when he had the chance to step-up and say something instead of just nodding in agreement? - just another good little sheep "journalist" who dared not rock the boat ?

That's unfair. It was not his place to say anything. To do so would be silly and unprofessional. He knew the pushback she was going to get.

KCargosfan
06-09-2016, 02:26 AM
An Open Letter To TSN’s Jennifer Hedger
http://www.argosendzone.com/open-letter-jennifer-hedger/

haha, classic. Always appreciate good sarcasm.

1argoholic
06-09-2016, 07:18 AM
Nice to see T Bone dredging up nonsense from past postings on someone else for a change. hahaha. Remember, Ban and delete! This site is messed up!!!

argonaut11xx
06-09-2016, 10:49 AM
The bottom line is, Hedger is an IDIOT...and Taylor is a FRAUD, as he pretends to be Mr CFL, yet he sat there nodding is head as she made her stupid comment.

Bad taste is subjective, as is humour. Neither are outlawed (yet).

I have no issue with Hedger getting her comeupance.

Ron
06-09-2016, 06:39 PM
The bottom line is, Hedger is an IDIOT...and Taylor is a FRAUD, as he pretends to be Mr CFL, yet he sat there nodding is head as she made her stupid comment.

Bad taste is subjective, as is humour. Neither are outlawed (yet).

I have no issue with Hedger getting her comeupance.

I assume you're not married. Men tend to just nod when women say dumb stuff. It's like men don't actually hear what they say.

Argo57
06-09-2016, 06:44 PM
That's unfair. It was not his place to say anything. To do so would be silly and unprofessional. He knew the pushback she was going to get.

Why not?
A simple "don't forget about the Argos" would have done the trick, would the TSN management have ripped him a new one for defending one of their on air products??

1argoholic
06-09-2016, 09:18 PM
He most likely was just as clued out at the time just as she was. After all TSN has become ESPN North.

argonaut11xx
06-10-2016, 03:43 PM
I assume you're not married. Men tend to just nod when women say dumb stuff. It's like men don't actually hear what they say.

Im sorry Taylor is PUTZ for not saying anything.

AngeloV
06-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Is Taylor not relatively new at TSN? It really can be intimidating to correct someone on the air like that who has been with the network for many years. We can all talk a big game, but I'm sure we've all bitten our tongues when someone above us in the chain of commands at work has done something we disagree with.

Golden Fleece
06-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Is Taylor not relatively new at TSN? It really can be intimidating to correct someone on the air like that who has been with the network for many years. We can all talk a big game, but I'm sure we've all bitten our tongues when someone above us in the chain of commands at work has done something we disagree with. Right. It also looked like one of those lead out segments into commercial. Really hard to get a word in edgewise there. The co-host could say, "And the world is going to end tomorrow" and most of us would just nod along and say, "That's right, Bob." Then during the commercial break we'd think, "WTF did I just agree to?"

OV Argo
06-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Im sorry Taylor is PUTZ for not saying anything.

Exactly

And has he come out anywhere - TWITer or on air on TSN or on the public record anywhere - to weigh in on the matter ?

A lot of quiet little sheep are good or silent with morons dissing the CFL - and that's OK - just not the way I would roll.

paulwoods13
06-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Exactly

And has he come out anywhere - TWITer or on air on TSN or on the public record anywhere - to weigh in on the matter ?

A lot of quiet little sheep are good or silent with morons dissing the CFL - and that's OK - just not the way I would roll.

You "roll" that way behind the cloak of anonymity on a relatively small public forum. Not exactly the epitome of outspoken truth-telling.

OV Argo
06-10-2016, 10:07 PM
You "roll" that way behind the cloak of anonymity on a relatively small public forum. Not exactly the epitome of outspoken truth-telling.

Yeah - much better to be a gutless little sheep working in the media and scared to offend wannabe clowns by daring to have an opinion of your own so you roll with the lemmings. ;o)

argolio
06-10-2016, 10:49 PM
Taylor and Hedger will, presumably, work together in the future. He's not going to start some big argument with her on the air, assuming he was even listening to her. Not to say she doesn't deserve criticism, but most of the time these hosts just read a teleprompter and nod their heads waiting for the next story or commercial. I'm not expecting them to have informed opinions.

KCargosfan
06-11-2016, 02:50 AM
Right. It also looked like one of those lead out segments into commercial. Really hard to get a word in edgewise there. The co-host could say, "And the world is going to end tomorrow" and most of us would just nod along and say, "That's right, Bob." Then during the commercial break we'd think, "WTF did I just agree to?"

Great and very accurate post.

argonaut11xx
06-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Yeah - much better to be a gutless little sheep working in the media and scared to offend wannabe clowns by daring to have an opinion of your own so you roll with the lemmings. ;o)

You are 100% correct OV

paulwoods13
06-11-2016, 11:23 AM

Anyone can take a swing at me -- my identity is not secret. Can you say the same?

Lemmings and sheep are actually the people who anonymously criticize anything and everything while hiding behind an IP address.

Ron
06-11-2016, 11:28 AM
It also goes both ways. You want a dude to speak up when the CFL gets a little slag ... yet you'd be outraged if someone said something nice about the CFL only to have their partner take a shot at them.

""There has been no Championships by a pro sports team in this city since the Argos won the GC in 2012."

"The Argos? The CFL is not a pro sport."

You'd be outraged and yelling that the reply should have been professional and kept their mouth shut.

OV Argo
06-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Anyone can take a swing at me -- my identity is not secret. Can you say the same?

Lemmings and sheep are actually the people who anonymously criticize anything and everything while hiding behind an IP address.

OMG - you provide your name on an internet forum; and Hedger & Taylor provide their names when they are on TV = wow! - just incredible and so revealing - you guys should be beyond reproach. Tell you what - use your "journalism" skills & kin connections to set-up a public forum meeting between me, Jen and this Taylor guy to discuss the topic - I will provide my full name, with documentation, along with DOB and place of birth/hometown (i.e. - more than they provide as TV talking heads). The conversation can be recorded and on the public record.

And I'm afraid your understanding of the animal kingdom and similes used there is a bit lacking. Sheep, you see, are these domesticated herd animals afraid to do much but stick together in their pack, and they are often moved or bullied by barking dogs. Lemmings are these little rodents known to sometimes blindly follow the leader to bad places.

OV Argo
06-11-2016, 12:22 PM
It also goes both ways. You want a dude to speak up when the CFL gets a little slag ... yet you'd be outraged if someone said something nice about the CFL only to have their partner take a shot at them.

""There has been no Championships by a pro sports team in this city since the Argos won the GC in 2012."

"The Argos? The CFL is not a pro sport."

You'd be outraged and yelling that the reply should have been professional and kept their mouth shut.

How TF do you know how I'd respond to such a scenario?

I think I would be saying that guy has some guts for a wannabe for saying something like that on air; however - it would also be totally obvious he was a clueless idiot since the CFL is obviously a pro sport. Or is it not ?

argofan81
06-20-2016, 10:44 AM
According to CP24 this morning, Toronto hasn't won a major league sports championship since 1967 (when the Leafs last won the stanley cup).

The inference was made when discussing Cleveland's basketball win this morning; their drought of a championship prior to this year's NBA win has been since 1964 (when the Cleveland Browns won the SuperBowl). The comment was along the lines of 'They haven't won since '64 and we haven't won since '67.....our time will come." Apparently baseball championships don't count either in the city of Toronto!

Johno27
06-20-2016, 11:01 AM
According to CP24 this morning, Toronto hasn't won a major league sports championship since 1967 (when the Leafs last won the stanley cup).

The inference was made when discussing Cleveland's basketball win this morning; their drought of a championship prior to this year's NBA win has been since 1964 (when the Cleveland Browns won the SuperBowl). The comment was along the lines of 'They haven't won since '64 and we haven't won since '67.....our time will come." Apparently baseball championships don't count either in the city of Toronto!

[With sarcasm] And all thirteen Leaf championships were achieved in a tiny (regional) six-team league and their players made peanuts and had to have jobs in the offseason....you call that major league? Hee! Hee!

1argoholic
06-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Basically TOOLS that happen to luck out and get TV gigs.

Neely2005
06-20-2016, 11:58 AM
[With sarcasm] And all thirteen Leaf championships were achieved in a tiny (regional) six-team league and their players made peanuts and had to have jobs in the offseason....you call that major league? Hee! Hee!

Lol nice. And don't forget that 4 of those 6 teams made the playoffs.

Argoknot
06-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Basically TOOLS that happen to luck out and get TV gigs.The biz ain't what it used to be.

bluto
06-20-2016, 12:02 PM
Just wait until Friday's headlines. Even if we trounce the TiCats in style, all the stories will be about are Auston Matthews.

1argoholic
06-20-2016, 12:07 PM
You nailed it Bluto.

Argoknot
06-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Create your own media, read forums, write blogs, tweet. Correct mistakes or misrepresentations you see posted so that newcomers will get the correct story. Coverage these days isn't the same, it's content vs context, much of it isn't any better than what you can put together so if they choose not to cover an event who cares, do your own grassroots publicizing.

Many of these people aren't there to get a story out, they want to be personalities and get personal recognition, over reporting a good story. Ed Murrow was insulted when people called him a star, it ain't that way today. The situation ain't gonna change so change your situation. Reinvent the game.

PullTogether73
06-20-2016, 04:27 PM
Lol nice. And don't forget that 4 of those 6 teams made the playoffs.

Plus, there were drafting restrictions that prevented the U.S. teams from drafting within Ontario and Quebec.
Plus, for a period of several years, one owner controlled all four of the U.S. teams and stacked only the Detroit Red Wings with the best talent by trading the best players from the other US. teams to Detroit (anyone heard of the NHL - Norris House League?).
Have you ever wondered why the Bruins, Blackhawks, and Rangers rarely won the Stanley Cup while the Canadiens, Maple Leafs, and Red Wings regularly won it?

The Maple Leafs glorious history is not nearly so glorious when you are aware of how the rules were stacked against half of the (tiny, six-team) league.

Edit: btw, if anyone ever slags the CFL for being a small league (currently 9 teams), ask them if they are a Maple Leafs fan. If they are, feel free to mock their ignorance. The Maple Leafs have NEVER won a Stanley Cup in a league with more than 8 teams.

Argoknot
06-20-2016, 05:03 PM
The Maple Leafs have NEVER won a Stanley Cup in a league with more than 8 teams.You're a smart cookie, I was about to correct you and say six (1967) but you refer back to 1931-1932, a lot of big names on that team:

Harvey "Busher" Jackson
Joe Primeau
Charlie Conacher
Andrew Blair
Bob Gracie
Frank Finnigan
Francis "King" Clancy
Harold "Baldy" Cotton
Reginald "Red" Horner
Clarence "Happy" Day
Harold Darragh
Irvine "Ace" Bailey
Alex Levinsky
Earl Miller
Syd Howe
Benny Grant
Fred Robertson
Lorne Chabot

Neely2005
06-20-2016, 05:51 PM
Plus, there were drafting restrictions that prevented the U.S. teams from drafting within Ontario and Quebec.
Plus, for a period of several years, one owner controlled all four of the U.S. teams and stacked only the Detroit Red Wings with the best talent by trading the best players from the other US. teams to Detroit (anyone heard of the NHL - Norris House League?).
Have you ever wondered why the Bruins, Blackhawks, and Rangers rarely won the Stanley Cup while the Canadiens, Maple Leafs, and Red Wings regularly won it?

The Maple Leafs glorious history is not nearly so glorious when you are aware of how the rules were stacked against half of the (tiny, six-team) league.

Edit: btw, if anyone ever slags the CFL for being a small league (currently 9 teams), ask them if they are a Maple Leafs fan. If they are, feel free to mock their ignorance. The Maple Leafs have NEVER won a Stanley Cup in a league with more than 8 teams.

Yeah considering how few teams were in the NHL back then and the unfair advantages that the Canadian teams had pretty much everything before 1968 in the NHL should have an Asterisk beside it.

Once everyone started playing under the same rules in 1968 is when you can start making fair comparisons. Even though the leafs still had a spending advantage up until the Salary Cap came in, in 2005.

1argoholic
06-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Speaking of championships, has TFC ever won anything? I don't follow the game. I don't recall ever hearing about them winning much.

We know Canada never wins squat in soccer. I'm in for ditching the Canadian soccer program and putting money into the Trans Canada Trail or sewer repairs.

timlb01
06-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Speaking of championships, has TFC ever won anything? I don't follow the game. I don't recall ever hearing about them winning much.

We know Canada never wins squat in soccer. I'm in for ditching the Canadian soccer program and putting money into the Trans Canada Trail or sewer repairs.

They won a game once. Hope they did not destroy the turf aka the pitch last night. I don't want any Argos to get hurt.

Will
06-22-2016, 07:40 PM

There have been a fair number of Major League teams that have broken lengthy droughts lately. In the MLB, the Giants have won several World Series which are actually their first since moving from New York. Prior to that, the Red Sox and White Sox broke droughts as did the Royals. In the NHL, we've seen Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles break droughts (or win their first in the case of LA) and in the NBA we've seen teams like Cleveland win their first. The Tiger-Cats and Blue Bombers still await to break their droughts. Gives me hope that the Maple Leafs are due one of these days.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8