PDA

View Full Version : Sandro DeAngeles

gilthethrill
03-31-2012, 03:56 PM
I was surfing the Ti-Cats forum today. Sorry I did not send the link, but there was a tweet from Montreal writer Herb Z stating that the Argos worked out the unemployed place kicker.

Argocister
03-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Personally, I hope there will be other options. I am not impressed with DeAngeles.

OV Argo
03-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Personally, I hope there will be other options. I am not impressed with DeAngeles.

You mean you haven't been impressed by his play in his last CFL season with the Ticats? - cause before that, he was the all-time CFL career FG % leader; and I would fail to understand how that would or could be unimpressive.

RoRoYoBoat
03-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Nothing wrong with Sandro. I just don't see the fit.

argotom
03-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Nothing wrong with Sandro. I just don't see the fit.

Other then he might be done?

ArgoRavi
03-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Other then he might be done?

DeAngelis is a pup among kickers. He had a subpar season in Hamilton two years ago but I don't see any reason to think that this guy is even close to being done. What works against him however is that he can't punt. However, as OV pointed out, he is as good of a FG kicker as we have seen in this league.

Argocister
03-31-2012, 10:12 PM
You mean you haven't been impressed by his play in his last CFL season with the Ticats? - cause before that, he was the all-time CFL career FG % leader; and I would fail to understand how that would or could be unimpressive.
Perhaps we have been spoiled with Prefontaine and Medlock lately. Yes, with Sandros poor performance that year with Ticats I would prefer another option.

OV Argo
03-31-2012, 11:45 PM
DeAngelis is a pup among kickers. He had a subpar season in Hamilton two years ago but I don't see any reason to think that this guy is even close to being done. What works against him however is that he can't punt. However, as OV pointed out, he is as good of a FG kicker as we have seen in this league.

Paul McCallum is the best FG kicker in ALL of football now (IMO - his % rate the past couple of years is off the charts - blows away any pro kicker) - and while he was always a good kicker with a strong leg (holds the CFL longest FG mark i believe), he has gelled as an old-timer into an even better kicker; SO - DeAngelis could regain his old form and maybe improve too; Pre has improved his FG kicking over the years too, and is now quite solid compared to his early inconsistent days; plus he is still a great punter; BUT - IMO - the kicking game is so important in the CFL that if you have to carry a seperate punter and FG kicker it is well worth it if they are both league best types; I'd give Sandro a look in a heartbeat and maybe keep him around - if he is hands down more accurate than Pre in TC then keep both.

AngeloV
04-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I say bring him in. Pre had a great year, but at his age, he can lose it overnight. As OV said, he's had 1 bad year in his career. Unfortunately in such a small league, it's hard to get a shot at redemption, but I believe he is a lot closer to the kicker we saw in Calgary, rather than the kicker he was in Hamilton. Besides, it would be great to see another guy that Hamilton fans hate in Double Blue.

jerrym
04-01-2012, 03:25 AM
I agree bring him to camp. If he doesn't beat out Prefontaine, he at least provides some competition and is also available if Prefontaine sustains an injury.

Will
04-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Well, the Argos made a great team out of Ilesic and Chomyc for years so maybe they can repeat it here. Prefontaine didn't do such a bad job kicking last year though. DeAngelis has a chip on his shoulder though, but let's hope the year in Hamilton didn't permanently screw him up (I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself here).

argotom
04-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Absolutely he is younger in age.
However, it is the mental part which is crucial among FG kickers especially and to me it is this psychological aspect that looked done with him.

1argoholic
04-01-2012, 04:45 PM
He was a GREAT kicker in Calgary but his head got to big on the field. Perhaps he's matured after his stint in Hamilton. Just because a guy does bad in Hamilton doesn't mean he's washed up just remember Calvillos time in Steeltown. I say bring him in for a look see. I do remember him being a very nice guy off the field. We met him while coming out of a restaurant in The Forks during last Grey Cup in Winnipeg. He was great, down to earth guy and he signed my wifes Stamps jersey. What's the worse thing that can happen, you cut him.

Entropy19
04-04-2012, 11:19 PM

He might be better in a dome... He still has some football in him for sure, the varriables have to be right though...

7dj83r8f78t4alf8