PDA

View Full Version : Football was Jermaine Gabriel's Salvation

jerrym
05-31-2016, 03:35 AM
Like so many growing up in difficult situations, football provided Jermaine Gabriel with a way out.

Little Jermaine Gabriel owned only one pair of jeans, and he would sometimes wear them with a Bugs Bunny sweater and the purple collared shirt his mother liked. Then he would trundle out the door for a new day of elementary school in northwest Toronto, where he would often fight not only with students, but with adults. ...

Diamond studs sparkled from each ear. On his right hand, a diamond-encrusted pinky ring glittered off the table, a birthday gift to himself after he signed a three-year contract with theToronto Argonauts (http://www.argonauts.ca/)in February. That deal is believed to make him among the highest-paid safeties in the Canadian Football League. In football, he uncovered an outlet for the frustration he felt as the son of a single mother juggling a job and three children. He saw what the other children had, and knew what he did not. His father appeared in his life only as a passing mirage.

Football evolved into a destination, a glowing end point on a map Gabriel would wander Canada trying to navigate. In small-town Quebec, he fell into deepening poverty, without enough to eat. In Halifax, he took a job cleaning tables in a mall food court. In Calgary, he heaved gravel through dusty basements in between practices with a team on the edge of the sport’s scouting radar.
There was no financial help from home, no university degree, no backup plan.
“You know he wanted it,” said Roberto Allen, his former minor football coach. “He wanted to make it so bad, and there’s some kind of inner strength pushing this kid.”

https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2016/05/29/for-argos-jermaine-gabriel-football-was-his-salvation.html

AngeloV
05-31-2016, 09:19 AM
That was a great read, and something that the majority of us will never truly understand.

Kenners
05-31-2016, 09:59 AM
great read.... his "go-to sandwich" when he had nothing else is something truly Canadian lol. Much respect for his dedication.

jerrym
05-31-2016, 11:20 AM
That was a great read, and something that the majority of us will never truly understand.

I agree that those of us in the middle class or higher will never truly understand what people like Gabriel went through, much like military veterans, many of whom came from tough backgrounds and often came back from combat, never to be the same. My father, who fought in WWII, was one.

1argoholic
05-31-2016, 01:30 PM
Great read and he could have taken the easy, lazy road that many kids do and become involved in gangs. This make me like him even more and he's one of my favorite Argonauts at this point. Not many folks grow up in ideal homes. I know I didn't and it's great to see the good stories other then the ones we see on the news nightly.

ArgoRavi
05-31-2016, 11:11 PM
It would be interesting to read the comments on here when Gabriel was drafted in the second round back in 2013. I suspect that there were at least a couple of comments about the Argos "wasting" such a high pick on a player that was unlikely to be picked that early by anyone else.

ArgoGabe22
05-31-2016, 11:36 PM
It would be interesting to read the comments on here when Gabriel was drafted in the second round back in 2013. I suspect that there were at least a couple of comments about the Argos "wasting" such a high pick on a player that was unlikely to be picked that early by anyone else.

I couldn't find the draft thread and didnt find much on anyone's comments as Gabriel got drafted. I did find OV call him a good tester but wasn't sure where he'd fit, STer or backup DB or maybe a safety prospect for the future?

Wobbler
05-31-2016, 11:46 PM
The AF vbulletin search interface is terrible. You'd better hope that the info you're looking for can be nailed down with a well crafted keyword + author search, because the date-range options are useless.

Stevoman
06-01-2016, 12:32 AM
Great article and I love the way this guy plays. Maybe that's why he has such passion, he has fought so hard to be here!

KCargosfan
06-01-2016, 03:50 AM

No doubt. I wish this guy to have the greatest career ever here.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8