PDA

View Full Version : They're Calling For Rain On Saturday

Rich
06-07-2016, 12:31 AM
Looks like we'll get some important questions about BMO answered right away. Will we be protected from the rain? It could be windy too. Also, how will the field hold up? IIRC the groundskeeper admitted that the Argos could cause some damage if they played in a lot of rain. If that field turns into a quagmire, the resulting shitstorm could hurt the positive image the new organization has generated so far.

Rich
06-07-2016, 12:38 AM
Also, what would a sloppy field do to the game plan? Would if force them to work on the running game more?

ArgoRavi
06-07-2016, 01:50 AM
Looks like we'll get some important questions about BMO answered right away. Will we be protected from the rain? It could be windy too. Also, how will the field hold up? IIRC the groundskeeper admitted that the Argos could cause some damage if they played in a lot of rain. If that field turns into a quagmire, the resulting shitstorm could hurt the positive image the new organization has generated so far.

In whose eyes? TFC fans? I don't see how a muddy field on Saturday would hurt them otherwise.

Neely2005
06-07-2016, 08:31 AM
And yesterday there was no rain in the forecast for Saturday. Wait until at least Thursday for an accurate Saturday forecast.

R.J
06-07-2016, 10:07 AM
And yesterday there was no rain in the forecast for Saturday. Wait until at least Thursday for an accurate Saturday forecast.
Or Friday for that matter.

1argoholic
06-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Well rain will hit the field at some point. It's those games when rain pours like crazy and cold winds blow off the lake that make it pretty miserable. I had many soaked GO rides back to Port Credit from CNE.

paulwoods13
06-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Bring it on, I say. Elements are part of football. (Mind you, I'm reasonably confident my seats are in the roof-protection zone.)

Rich
06-07-2016, 12:42 PM
In whose eyes? TFC fans? I don't see how a muddy field on Saturday would hurt them otherwise.

You know as well as I do that there's a large segment of the local sports media that will pounce on the smallest shred of negative news about the Argos or the CFL. If the Argos badly chewed up the field on Saturday, the top story Sunday would likely focus on TFC management whining and crying and threatening recriminations against the Argos. It would poke a hole in the Argos' positive momentum, and we would probably even see someone like Blundell saying something like "the hapless Argos can't do anything right", and on and on.

sthfan1988
06-07-2016, 02:42 PM
There better not be any sign of any soccer lines on the field. (sarcasm) They have an extra 2 fields in reserve growing just outside of Hamilton, just in case. At some point it will rain and the field will be tested. They run rugby and it seems to hold up fine. I don't remember the last time I actually looked forward to a preseason game. Maybe when Doug Flutie arrived.

timlb01
06-07-2016, 05:15 PM
If it does rain good time to test the new roofs out :)

I am really looking forward to Saturday. Its been a long time since I was pumped for a pre-season game.

doubleblue
06-07-2016, 05:57 PM
If it rains I hope the players use their long cleats so they can get some real good traction. :) The Pitch might need some aeration.

Will
06-07-2016, 06:41 PM
You know as well as I do that there's a large segment of the local sports media that will pounce on the smallest shred of negative news about the Argos or the CFL. If the Argos badly chewed up the field on Saturday, the top story Sunday would likely focus on TFC management whining and crying and threatening recriminations against the Argos. It would poke a hole in the Argos' positive momentum, and we would probably even see someone like Blundell saying something like "the hapless Argos can't do anything right", and on and on.

Haters are going to hate unfortunately.

Neely2005
06-08-2016, 07:48 AM

The chance of rain has dropped from 80% to 50%. Hopefully it keeps dropping.

Will
06-08-2016, 08:14 AM
The chance of rain has dropped from 80% to 50%. Hopefully it keeps dropping.

Weather Network is now calling for light rain and a 60% POP.

Will
06-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Frank Z wrote on the topic (http://www.torontosun.com/2016/06/07/with-rain-in-the-forecast-bmo-field-might-face-the-wet-test) and had a brilliant quote:

It’s not likely that one of those torrential downpours breaks out, which is too bad because it would have opened up such a can of worms among many in soccer, those entitled, selfish, insecure souls who remain livid at football, the North American version, occupying their playpen by the lake.
Truth be told, the venue should have been built for multiple tenants, but there’s no point in rehashing the past.

Despite its many appeals, the soccer culture is soft, reinforced any time a player feels like he’s shot when minimum contact is made, and there are a few in football hoping to test the ire of soccer fans by having one of those moments when the sky opens up, the rain crashes down and the turf gets chewed up.

See Angelo, he isn't so bad!

AngeloV
06-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Frank Z wrote on the topic (http://www.torontosun.com/2016/06/07/with-rain-in-the-forecast-bmo-field-might-face-the-wet-test) and had a brilliant quote:

See Angelo, he isn't so bad!

Starting to like him. Now if he can only lose the cliché's and stop with the "in the land of 3 down football" which is in almost every article he writes.

sthfan1988
06-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Can't believe Frank Z wrote that. Talk about adding fuel to the fire. What he writes is true, especially if you look at the soccer forums. I don't really care what other sports they have at any stadium, its the game day experience that's important. Lots of dates available for both teams. I'm taking some extra clothing just in case.

1argoholic
06-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Frank has been covering the Argos for a very long time and even he has obviously had enough from other media outlets, TFC fans and whoever else will listen. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't want the stress that the poor BMO grounds crew is going to have if it pisses and the field gets torn up real good.

AngeloV
06-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Back to the weather report...To bad Mike Lysko is no longer commissioner. We could have brought back the wet t-shirt contests.

That's right...I went there.

Scooter McCray
06-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Frank has been covering the Argos for a very long time and even he has obviously had enough from other media outlets, TFC fans and whoever else will listen. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't want the stress that the poor BMO grounds crew is going to have if it pisses and the field gets torn up real good.Good for him. There is not one excuse that can be made by any outlet - particularly TSN - as to why they are not covering this team at TC. He is covering for the Sun, and he is probably stunned that he is alone. Raps are out of the playoffs, no Canadian teams in NHL playoffs, BJs have a long slow inconsistent non first place season going on. Seriously what is TSN 1050s excuse? They own part of the bloody team now. Cover it. Why do I have to listen to TSN 1150 for my football coverage? They do a decent job too.

shayman
06-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Back to the weather report...To bad Mike Lysko is no longer commissioner. We could have brought back the wet t-shirt contests.

That's right...I went there.

Can't blame that one on Lysko. He was opposed, it was Argo brass (jeff giles) who wanted to do it.

Fifteen years ago this week in fact. Memories ...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/wet-t-shirts-contests-a-no-no/article25441341/

AngeloV
06-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Can't blame that one on Lysko. He was opposed, it was Argo brass (jeff giles) who wanted to do it.

Fifteen years ago this week in fact. Memories ...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/wet-t-shirts-contests-a-no-no/article25441341/

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I think I heard a recent media report saying Lysko had approved of it, but yeah, that makes more sense.

ArgoRavi
06-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks for refreshing my memory. I think I heard a recent media report saying Lysko had approved of it, but yeah, that makes more sense.

I recall Lysko being vehemently against it. It put him square against Sherwood Schwarz in a battle he just could not win.

R.J
06-08-2016, 07:09 PM
"Despite its many appeals, the soccer culture is soft, reinforced any time a player feels like he’s shot when minimum contact is made, and there are a few in football hoping to test the ire of soccer fans by having one of those moments when the sky opens up, the rain crashes down and the turf gets chewed up."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68_1HV4l8M

Will
06-08-2016, 07:44 PM
POP is now at 80% for Saturday, but they aren't calling for steady rain say to the extent of 15-20 mm. Best case is that they are isolated and stay away from the lake.

R.J
06-08-2016, 07:52 PM
POP is now at 80% for Saturday, but they aren't calling for steady rain say to the extent of 15-20 mm. Best case is that they are isolated and stay away from the lake.
My MSN Weather app (Windows 10) is calling for a chance (50%) of rain/thunderstorms prior to 2pm.

Will
06-08-2016, 07:56 PM
My MSN Weather app (Windows 10) is calling for a chance (50%) of rain/thunderstorms prior to 2pm.

Well my prediction is that they are all wrong!

Mulder
06-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Well my prediction is that they are all wrong!

Worst case is that it is the downpour some TFC fans fear and the field gets ripped up. TFC can goto Hamilton and play on one of those grass fields they are growing there. Then fold.

Jumbo
06-08-2016, 08:24 PM
There shouldn't be the hatred towards the TFC group, they are worried about the condition of the field and I don't blame them. High level soccer should be played on a pristine pitch. Whether you like soccer or not, you have to give their fans credit. The experience at their games is pretty exciting and certainly something Argo fans can try to emulate. I've been to quite a few of their games and I have to admit, it's a good time. I can't see how fighting with them will make a better experience for either club's fans.

Saying that I also have season tickets to the Argos and will be tailgating every week.

Will
06-08-2016, 08:26 PM
There shouldn't be the hatred towards the TFC group, they are worried about the condition of the field and I don't blame them. High level soccer should be played on a pristine pitch. Whether you like soccer or not, you have to give their fans credit. The experience at their games is pretty exciting and certainly something Argo fans can try to emulate. I've been to quite a few of their games and I have to admit, it's a good time. I can't see how fighting with them will make a better experience for either club's fans.

Saying that I also have season tickets to the Argos and will be tailgating every week.

If only it were that amongst some of them. For others, it goes beyond that to virulent hatred of the Argos and the CFL.

ArgoRavi
06-08-2016, 11:50 PM

Yeah, but they are not playing high level soccer. :p

OV Argo
06-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Also, what would a sloppy field do to the game plan? Would if force them to work on the running game more?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!

Could be gale force winds, a torrential down-pour and sloppy field - and a CFL gob "offensive mind" would not game plan lots of run game = out of the question.

1argoholic
06-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Thunder Storms, 50mm of rain, hail, snow..oh wait that's for Calgary.

The stadium sits beside the lake even if Saturday isn't rainy it'll surely get very sloppy and crappy at some point. This field will get tested in a big way.

T-Bone
06-09-2016, 08:35 AM
If only it were that amongst some of them. For others, it goes beyond that to virulent hatred of the Argos and the CFL.
There aren't any Argos/CFL fans that virulently hate TFC/MLS? I'm not sure how hatred on either side is justified.

Anyway, the forcast is now showing 29c degrees with a 40% chance of rain and risk of a thunderstorm. Hopfully there isn't a game delay, that could be rough.

1argoholic
06-09-2016, 04:13 PM
TFC and it's fans only cross my mind when I read about it on here. I hate the way they go on and on about the CFL but I really could care less about soccer and it's fans. No hate.

gilthethrill
06-09-2016, 07:34 PM
I am concerned the possibility of thunder storms. It could easily delay the game for player safety reasons.

Ron
06-09-2016, 07:49 PM
TFC and it's fans only cross my mind when I read about it on here. I hate the way they go on and on about the CFL but I really could care less about soccer and it's fans. No hate.

This is true. I think you only hate big label beer. ;)

R.J
06-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Weather update!
According to the weather network - 70% chance of thunderstorms on Saturday from 8am to 11am and 40% chance of thunderstorms from 11am to 12pm, Sunny with clear skies after that.
According to MSN Weather app - 50-60% of thunderstorms from from 9am to 12pm. Sunny with clear skies after that.

AngeloV
06-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Looking at the hourly forcast on the weather network, looks like rain is supposed to end by 1pm and then clear and sunny the rest of the day.

gilthethrill
06-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Looking at the hourly forcast on the weather network, looks like rain is supposed to end by 1pm and then clear and sunny the rest of the day.

Guess I will have to tune into the Weather Network when Suzanne Leonard is on....just to make sure......

PullTogether73
06-09-2016, 09:40 PM
So, what is the purpose of all the posts in this thread?
Why all the micro weather forecasts for Saturday?
Yes, the game is being played outdoors.
There is a chance of rain.
Dress accordingly.
End of thread.

What's the problem?

AngeloV
06-09-2016, 09:59 PM
Dress accordingly.
End of thread.

What's the problem?

Well, for the last 26 seasons, it was never an issue. Give us a chance to get used to this again.

Neely2005
06-09-2016, 10:29 PM

Perfect, the tailgate starts @ 1 PM.

paulwoods13
06-10-2016, 06:22 AM
I went looking on the Argo website for rules about the stadium -- wanted to know about umbrellas. So far, at least, the team has not posted anything. I did find this on TFC's site:

http://bmofield.com/plan-your-visit/a-z-fan-guide/

Note no umbrellas allowed.

1argoholic
06-10-2016, 07:10 AM
As of one minute ago Environment Canada is calling for a 60% chance of thunder storms. Now that will cause issues in a stadium with so much metal. That would be quite the way to begin the new life outdoors.

PullTogether73
06-10-2016, 07:27 AM
I went looking on the Argo website for rules about the stadium -- wanted to know about umbrellas. So far, at least, the team has not posted anything. I did find this on TFC's site:

Yes, and strictly enforced.
Something about them blocking views and/or being used as a weapon.:biteme:

I refuse to take the TFC poncho I bought last year when I attended several of their games.
Sadly, I am assuming that there will be no Argonauts ponchos for sale at the stadium - yet.

Will
06-10-2016, 08:04 AM
Go to Dollarama and buy one of those cheap ponchos. I never feel guilty about throwing them out after one time.

LLB997
06-10-2016, 08:53 AM

yes, high level soccer should be played on a pristine pitch, so what exactly is their issue?

1argoholic
06-10-2016, 10:11 AM
In Canada it's a field, a pitch happens in baseball. Do TFC fans tailgate out of the boots on their vehicles?

I heard that CFL players will have to wear tennis shoes when it rains so the field doesn't get ripped up.

Neely2005
06-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Dress accordingly.
End of thread.

What's the problem?

Well I don't really want to be sitting in a metal stadium (or tailgating) during a lightning storm, but maybe that's just me.
:-)

shayman
06-10-2016, 10:27 AM

FWIW I was at the TFC home opener and had a small umbrella in the pocket of my coat, and nobody said anything. (I didn't go out of my way to mention that I was carrying, though.)

PullTogether73
06-10-2016, 12:08 PM
FWIW I was at the TFC home opener and had a small umbrella in the pocket of my coat, and nobody said anything. (I didn't go out of my way to mention that I was carrying, though.)

What happened when you opened it during the game though?
If you didn't open it, the umbrella was just a weight in your pocket.
If you did open it, it would be confiscated really fast.

PullTogether73
06-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Well I don't really want to be sitting in a metal stadium (or tailgating) during a lightning storm, but maybe that's just me.

Wimp!
Where's your sense of adventure?

(Tongue firmly planted in cheek for the comments above in case you're unsure. Such smart ass comments likely guarantee that if anyone gets struck by lightning at the game, it will be me.:ohno:)

Neely2005
06-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Wimp!
Where's your sense of adventure?

(Tongue firmly planted in cheek for the comments above in case you're unsure. Such smart ass comments likely guarantee that if anyone gets struck by lightning at the game, it will be me.:ohno:)

Lol, I'm married with kids. My sense of adventure died a long time ago.

The forecast has taken a turn for the worse. The Weather Network BlackBerry 10 App is now showing Thunderstorms from 4 AM until 9 PM Saturday.
:-(

R.J
06-10-2016, 01:05 PM
I get the feeling that while it may rain in the morning - Saturday will just end up being really humid.

Mulder
06-10-2016, 01:09 PM
I get the feeling that while it may rain in the morning - Saturday will just end up being really humid.

Can we get the most up-to-date weather forecast. I'm taking the train from Ottawa and need to know what to wear. This thread doesn't have enough forecasts.

R.J
06-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Can we get the most up-to-date weather forecast. I'm taking the train from Ottawa and need to know what to wear. This thread doesn't have enough forecasts.
I'm done with checking lol. I'll just look out my window tomorrow morning and see what happens. I hope it's not too humid though - my dog hates being inside for too long.

PullTogether73
06-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Go to Dollarama and buy one of those cheap ponchos. I never feel guilty about throwing them out after one time.

Thanks for the tip!
Just picked one up for $1.25.:)

shayman
06-10-2016, 06:16 PM
What happened when you opened it during the game though?
If you didn't open it, the umbrella was just a weight in your pocket.
If you did open it, it would be confiscated really fast.

Seeing as there was a roof, I didn't need to open it during the game. (Had it with me for the trip home.)

AngeloV
06-10-2016, 06:19 PM
This thread really can use a Les Nessman Eye Witness Weather report.

Ron
06-10-2016, 07:36 PM

IMO you won the internet for today.

Neely2005
06-10-2016, 07:42 PM

http://youtu.be/lf3mgmEdfwg

1argoholic
06-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Classic and I loved it!!!!

argolio
06-10-2016, 11:00 PM
This thread really can use a Les Nessman Eye Witness Weather report."What's that, Les?"

"Well, I look out the window and witness the weather."

AngeloV
06-10-2016, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the WKRP love people!!

doubleblue
06-10-2016, 11:15 PM
As of one minute ago Environment Canada is calling for a 60% chance of thunder storms. Now that will cause issues in a stadium with so much metal. That would be quite the way to begin the new life outdoors.

:eek: I've always thought of my self as being well grounded. But Don't scare us like that.

PullTogether73
06-11-2016, 04:07 AM
Great.
Just saw some flashes of lightning out of my backyard (in Scarborough).
I hope this storm moves through ahead of schedule.

Will
06-11-2016, 04:12 AM
Great.
Just saw some flashes of lightning out of my backyard (in Scarborough).

Thy storm passes through Thornhill right now.

Neely2005
06-11-2016, 07:13 AM
Lol, I'm married with kids. My sense of adventure died a long time ago.

The forecast has taken a turn for the worse. The Weather Network BlackBerry 10 App is now showing Thunderstorms from 4 AM until 9 PM Saturday.
:-(

No rain in the Houly Forecast now.

OgtheDim
06-11-2016, 07:48 AM
Toronto Islands hourly forecast, which is the most accurate for BMO, indicates it will be 30 degrees feeling like 37 at 4 pm for you all.

Winds out of the West at a healthy 34 km/hr.

Oh you people are in for a treat learning to deal with lake weather again.

The sun is going to be blazing on the East and South Stands. And that wind will likely whip in around the West and make it interesting for field goals in the South.

R.J
06-11-2016, 09:50 AM
great.
Just saw some flashes of lightning out of my backyard (in scarborough).
wtf ?

so, what is the purpose of all the posts in this thread?
Why all the micro weather forecasts for saturday?
Dress accordingly.
End of thread.

What's the problem?

ArgoZ
06-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Toronto Islands hourly forecast, which is the most accurate for BMO, indicates it will be 30 degrees feeling like 37 at 4 pm for you all.

Winds out of the West at a healthy 34 km/hr.

Oh you people are in for a treat learning to deal with lake weather again.

The sun is going to be blazing on the East and South Stands. And that wind will likely whip in around the West and make it interesting for field goals in the South.

Why does it have to be "you all" and "you people"? What are we or are you exactly? Why not join in the fun? You did say you are a Ti-Cat fan and they are playing! I have enjoyed some TFC games with friends and shared fans of soccer.

1argoholic
06-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Remember to hydrate if pounding booze all day before a very hot game. haha. Sounds like cramp season is already here for the players. Right out of a tough training camp guys will be cramping all over the place. Even out of shape fans walking for another libation.

Argoholics
06-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Remember to hydrate if pounding booze all day before a very hot game. haha. Sounds like cramp season is already here for the players. Right out of a tough training camp guys will be cramping all over the place. Even out of shape fans walking for another libation.

Hahaha.... I resemble that remark....

argolio
06-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Why does it have to be "you all" and "you people"? What are we or are you exactly? Why not join in the fun? You did say you are a Ti-Cat fan and they are playing! I have enjoyed some TFC games with friends and shared fans of soccer.I thought he was being informative. I didn't see his post as offensive in any way.

jerrym
06-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Classic and I loved it!!!!

You mean a classic like this.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Grey+Cup+mud+bowl+&view=detail&mid=3D8C1281127D397681243D8C1281127D39768124&FORM=VIRE

OgtheDim
06-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Why does it have to be "you all" and "you people"? What are we or are you exactly? Why not join in the fun? You did say you are a Ti-Cat fan and they are playing! I have enjoyed some TFC games with friends and shared fans of soccer.

Sorry,was referring to today and all the new experiences Argo fans will be having.

Might see an Argo game this season during the Ex.

jerrym
06-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Sorry,was referring to today and all the new experiences Argo fans will be having.

Might see an Argo game this season during the Ex.

Welcome on board and hope you make it to more than one game.

PullTogether73
06-11-2016, 07:11 PM
wtf ?

Being aware of the forecast and prepared for the worst isn't the same as fretting about it for days.
I don't want rain (or lightning) but I'm not going to worry about it daily/hourly either.

ArgoZ
06-11-2016, 10:31 PM
This thread has reminded me to ignore weather forcasts anymore than one day out. Hot, humid and 100% sunny all game, LOL.

OgtheDim
06-11-2016, 10:50 PM
This thread has reminded me to ignore weather forcasts anymore than one day out. Hot, humid and 100% sunny all game, LOL.

That's funny cause we get the same discussions on TFC boards (usually with me bringing it up). Mostly because we've had games in March where its 3 degrees and threatening snow and then games in the summer where the rain is coming down in buckets. Once bitten, twice shy, so to speak.

As you said, all you do is plan ahead as much as you can and enjoy the atmosphere no matter what cause its your team playing outdoors, as God intended sports to happen. :-)

Anyways, the weather forecast changes on the day almost all the time. The only thing you can count on is the lake making it cooler and breezier then in the city. Bring blankets in October - that plastic seating can get really cold.

Will
06-11-2016, 11:32 PM
That lake breeze was a real saver at times.

Kenners
06-11-2016, 11:33 PM
That lake breeze was a real saver at times. +1

R.J
06-12-2016, 01:26 PM
That lake breeze was a real saver at times.
+2

7dj83r8f78t4alf8