PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Week 2: Toronto Argonauts @ Montreal Alouettes, June 17, 2016 Game Thread

Will
06-14-2016, 08:10 AM
June 17, 2016 at 8:00
Percival Molson Stadium
I think the game is on TV

Final tune-up before the regular season takes the Argos east to La Belle Province. Will Logan Kilgore solidify his position as the #2 QB or will Mitchell Gale or (gulp) even Cody Fajardo have something to say about that? Find out live on FNF.

AngeloV
06-14-2016, 10:34 AM
There is no competition for back up. Kilgore is the guy. The battle will be between McPherson and Gale for #3 as they will develop Fajardo this year on one of those lists where players get hidden. I think Eric Tillman invented it.

Wobbler
06-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Will Logan Kilgore solidify his position as the #2 QB or will Mitchell Gale or (gulp) even Cody Fajardo have something to say about that? Find out live on FNF.
Ooh, now that you've built up the drama, I will try to watch this game! ;)

Fingers crossed that I can find a stream...

R.J
06-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Ooh, now that you've built up the drama, I will try to watch this game! ;)

Fingers crossed that I can find a stream...
It'll be on TSN 1, 3, 4, 5

Rich
06-14-2016, 12:48 PM
There is no competition for back up. Kilgore is the guy. The battle will be between McPherson and Gale for #3 as they will develop Fajardo this year on one of those lists where players get hidden.

I agree with this 100%. And judging from Fajardo's interview posted on the site, he sounds like he's prepared to be in it for the long haul. He's only 24, Kilgore is 26, that's just the way it works at this Argonaut QB Factory.

Ron
06-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Tune in ... same Wil time ... same Wil channel. ;)

paulwoods13
06-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Any QB hoping for a good career in Canada should be prepared and even eager to spend a year or two as Toronto's third- or fourth-stringer. The examples are there for all to see: Collaros, maybe the best QB in the CFL at the moment, and Harris, he of 33 TD passes and a new deal paying him something like $400k in Year 2. Clearly Milanovich, Brady (and Ray) know how to develop QBs for success in Cdn football. I have little doubt that Kilgore is next up on that list, and will not be surprised in a year or two if Fajardo joins it as well.

R.J
06-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Any QB hoping for a good career in Canada should be prepared and even eager to spend a year or two as Toronto's third- or fourth-stringer. The examples are there for all to see: Collaros, maybe the best QB in the CFL at the moment, and Harris, he of 33 TD passes and a new deal paying him something like $400k in Year 2. Clearly Milanovich, Brady (and Ray) know how to develop QBs for success in Cdn football. I have little doubt that Kilgore is next up on that list, and will not be surprised in a year or two if Fajardo joins it as well.
No love for Barker ?
You know the guy who finds the talent.

paulwoods13
06-14-2016, 05:26 PM
No love for Barker ?
You know the guy who finds the talent.

Not my intention to slight him, but I believe players sign mainly for the opportunity they are going to get, and that comes in large part from the coaching and the system. Barker found Collaros, Harris and Kilgore, and he made a magically good trade for Ricky, so IMO he clearly deserved his three-year contract extension. But if I was a QB hoping to make $400k someday, I'd be pretty interested in playing for coaches who have a clear track record of developing No. 1 QBs who can excel.

jerrym
06-14-2016, 06:31 PM
Als QB Tajh Boyd, who did not play in Als first preseason game, will play against the Argos.

Tajh Boyd may well wonder what his future holds with the Alouettes when he dressed — but didn’t play — during last Wednesday’s exhibition game at Winnipeg.
Perhaps the bigger indignity was Boyd watched while Canadian Interuniversity Sport rookies Drew Burko and Jimmy Underdahl received playing time late in the fourth quarter.
“I can only control what I can control. I’ll just continue to keep putting in the work, try to put as much as I can on film — whether it’s practice or the game. Just try to make the most of it,” Boyd said on Monday. “I kind of knew that was going to happen. I figured they wouldn’t be able to get everyone in there.”
The Als dressed seven quarterbacks against the Blue Bombers, using all but Boyd. Kevin Glenn started and was replaced by Rakeem Cato. In the second half, the Als used Brandon Bridge, rookie Vernon Adams, Burko and Underdahl.
Boyd, a late-season addition to the Als’ practice roster in 2015, dressed for the regular-season finale against Saskatchewan. He played collegiately at Clemson and was a sixth-round draft choice of the New York Jets in 2014. He had stints with Pittsburgh and Winnipeg before arriving in Montreal.
Als offensive co-ordinator Anthony Calvillo vowed Boyd will see some playing time on Friday, when Montreal hosts Toronto in the final exhibition match for both teams.
“They got a lot of reps during camp. We wanted to give them all a fair shot to be evaluated. The tough part is getting them in the games,” acknowledged Calvillo, in his first full season as the Als’ OC. “It was tough in the second half. There were things that weren’t there. Some protection broke down.
“We couldn’t get everybody on the field. He’s going to play this week for sure. We had different opinions on who was going to play and who wasn’t.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/tajh-boyd-missed-winnipeg-action-but-will-see-playing-time-against-toronto-als-calvillo-says

jerrym
06-14-2016, 06:39 PM
Injury-prone Bear Woods, who was outstanding for the Als when he was able to play in 2014, will get a lot of playing time against the Argos.

He has torn his pectoral muscle and suffered hamstring and quadriceps injuries. He even tore the Lisfranc ligament in his foot, which could have ended his career — almost before it even began.
And that’s only in four seasons. We don’t want to say Bear Woods is injury-prone, but. …
“I can’t even answer that question. I might slip on the way to the locker room,” the Alouettes’ middle linebacker quipped following Tuesday’s training camp practice at Bishop’s University. “My injuries have been such freak deals, but I have to watch my step everywhere. Still, I don’t think about it.”
After being a healthy scratch last week at Winnipeg, Woods should receive considerable playing time Friday night, when the Als conclude their exhibition schedule against the Toronto Argonauts at Molson Stadium. It will be the first game for Woods since July 3, when he suffered a season-ending torn pec in the second quarter of the second game, against Calgary.
That, too, was a freak injury, sustained when he took a bad angle on a crossing route and attempted to chop the receiver down with his arm — a move he’s used successfully on several occasions. When Woods couldn’t pump his arm on the next play, he knew something had detached.
Pity for the Als, who were eagerly looking forward to seeing what the dreadlocked linebacker had in store for an encore after his breakout campaign in 2014. Despite being limited to 12 games, Woods produced 89 tackles — second-highest in the Canadian Football League — along with seven sacks. He was the East Division nominee for most outstanding defensive player.
Although Woods was one of many Montreal players whose contracts were restructured last winter, general manager and head coach Jim Popp never once wavered or contemplated whether to retain the 6-foot, 245-pounder.
“I don’t worry about him,” Popp said. “We’ve stuck and stood behind him through his injuries. Each time, he has bounced back very strong. I expect the same thing will happen.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/bear-woods-back-in-the-middle-for-alouettes

AngeloV
06-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Injury-prone Bear Woods, who was outstanding for the Als when he was able to play in 2014, [/url]

Jerry, are you trying to start a fight with OV? He has mentioned many times that Woods is overrated.

jerrym
06-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Jerry, are you trying to start a fight with OV? He has mentioned many times that Woods is overrated.

How much one values him depends to a significant extent on how much one values being relatively injury-free. I can see why some would not such an injury-prone player, even if he performs at a high level when available to play.

AngeloV
06-14-2016, 09:37 PM
How much one values him depends to a significant extent on how much one values being relatively injury-free. I can see why some would not such an injury-prone player, even if he performs at a high level when available to play.

LOL.. I was just ribbing you. Personally, I like Woods, and have had that argument with him before.

Wobbler
06-15-2016, 07:57 PM
It'll be on TSN 1, 3, 4, 5
Yeah, and it finally occurred to me that I know someone whose Rogers account I can borrow. Derp.

paulwoods13
06-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Woods is overrated.

Truer words have ne'er been spoken.

R.J
06-17-2016, 02:05 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Who&#39;s in who&#39;s out? <br><br>Check out the depth chart for tonight&#39;s last preseason game vs <a href="https://twitter.com/MTLAlouettes">@MTLAlouettes</a>!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLGameDay?src=hash">#CFLGameDay</a> <a href="https://t.co/BIc1f9QmdY">pic.twitter.com/BIc1f9QmdY</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/743853787819945984">June 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
06-17-2016, 07:14 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> PK <a href="https://twitter.com/Lirim_70">@Lirim_70</a> looking solid in warmup. Drilled one from 57 with room to spare. No wind. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Mike Hogan (@tsnmikehogan) <a href="https://twitter.com/tsnmikehogan/status/743940963006054400">June 17, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dmont
06-17-2016, 08:42 PM

Kilgore looks a little afraid to get hit. Hopefully, its just Milanovich's instructions to not risk getting hurt.

Kenners
06-17-2016, 08:43 PM

Kilgore looks a little afraid to get hit. Hopefully, its just Milanovich's instructions to not risk getting hurt.

Possibly scared to lose his 2nd spot before the season start

Kenners
06-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Shouldnt we be wearing our white jerseys?

Argo57
06-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Wylie looks awfully fragile out there.

Wobbler
06-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Josey looks better this year. Not faster or stronger just... more decisive.

Wobbler
06-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Sewell, conversely, looks pretty much the same. He's just not quick enough to play tackle, I'm afraid.

dmont
06-17-2016, 09:00 PM

Sewell just got beat pretty bad. Is he normally a right tackle?

Argo57
06-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Nice to see Duron Carter and that smile back in the league!!

Wobbler
06-17-2016, 09:15 PM

Sewell just got beat pretty bad. Is he normally a right tackle?
He was a LT in college, but there's no way in hell he'll play LT in the CFL so he has been evaluated at RT since last year at least.

Wobbler
06-17-2016, 09:23 PM
This is my first look at Levi Noel. He's awesome! Surprisingly quick and well balanced for a big guy, both as a receiver and returner.

OV Argo
06-17-2016, 09:34 PM
Agreed that Sewell looks weak at OT - poor mobility and not aggressive enough - might not be able to cut it there at the pro level - wonder if he could be converted to a guard - like a lot of former star CIS OTs for the CFL - Steve Morley, Matt O'Donnell for example ?

Where is McFadden at MLB so far? - he better be good cause IMO Miles is a good one - nose for the ball - great stick on the goal line before that 2nd Als TD.

Josey = pretty blah IMO; maybe Baker shows better.

Noel = a very impressive receiver talent; getting both him & Brian Jones in one draft was a real coup IMO; one of those guys could be a starter - and sooner than later; BUT - not if only one NI receiver gets pencilled in for playing time and it is just the hybrid slot job (Durie/Coombs)

Argo57
06-17-2016, 09:41 PM
I would suspect the Argos patience is wearing thin with Sewell.

Wobbler
06-17-2016, 09:53 PM
I would suspect the Argos patience is wearing thin with Sewell.
Yeah. We need a backup for CVZ, but there are different ways of doing that; Smith and Van Roten can both play tackle, so as long as they are healthy and we can sub in an interior guy, we can make it work. Sewell doesn't have a good body type for a guard (and didn't perform well at that position last year), so it's probably best to let him start fresh somewhere else.

1argoholic
06-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Fajardo looks like a speedster at qb. I'd love to see him stick and grow into a top CFL qb. Looks to have the tools. Josey is so..so. Barker seems to be quick and a strong runner. Not sure about a return game judging by the guys today. I can't believe Williams-Rhodes got cut. He did it all at Boise. Oh well.

Oh and I hate Popp! Happy for him as he's due soon judging by that belly.

Argo57
06-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Did Popp swallow a basketball in the offseason?

dmont
06-17-2016, 10:05 PM

so long, Kolankowski. Nice knowing ya.

Wobbler
06-17-2016, 10:16 PM
Ouch. Seriously, Gale? That was a very "optimistic" pass attempt.

dmont
06-17-2016, 10:17 PM

I don't think Ambles knew it was coming on the INT. Not sure I wholly blame Gale on that one.

1argoholic
06-17-2016, 10:45 PM
Do we have to hear about every players cup of coffee with an NFL team? Straight from the Rod Black School Of Announcing.

paulwoods13
06-17-2016, 11:16 PM
Our o-line got schooled all night, including by the backups. Three of them are going back to school, I imagine. Sewell looks to be at the end of the line but I suppose it's possible we will hang on to him a bit longer. Just doesn't seem to have good instincts for the position.

Our defence looked pretty solid, especially considering we didn't play any starters in the front seven. The secondary looks to have a lot more talent and depth than we had last season. Some ball hawks back there altho we dropped or just missed a few INTs.

Noel is a talent for sure. Wylie will stick as the new Spencer, at least until Spencer is back. Ambles may be kept around on some sort of list. Shaw has clearly made the team since he didn't play.

dmont
06-17-2016, 11:29 PM

Who I liked:

Markeith Ambles: Made some good catches in the first half. Got behind coverage.

Edwin Baker: Made better decisions than Josey. All Josey ever seems to do is head up the gut and run into a brick wall. Baker seems more multi-faceted.

Cody Fajardo: Had a nice game, but then again, with the way our O line was playing, our pocket passers were doomed. Fajardo at least could give us a different look.

Jimmy Legree: In on a bunch of plays, looked good dropping into coverage.

Thomas Miles: Had a great first half, and is versitile. Able to play middle or weak side.

Llevi Noel: Looks tough to bring down. Why was he on returns? He didn't do a bad job there, but I don't think he has the speed.

Devon Wylie: Not a bad game. Seems like he's able to get open. We'll see how good his hands are.

Who I didn't like:

Entire O-line: I realize that Montreal was playing some starters, but our O line was completely useless, particularly in the second half.

Chris Kolankowski: Couldn't even snap the ball to Gale. Kind of an important part of the job.

Henry Josey: Just more of the same we saw last year. Likes to run straight into the D line, not big enough to do anything once he gets there.

Matt Sewell: Saw him beat badly at least once.

ArgoRavi
06-17-2016, 11:31 PM
Our o-line got schooled all night, including by the backups. Three of them are going back to school, I imagine. Sewell looks to be at the end of the line but I suppose it's possible we will hang on to him a bit longer. Just doesn't seem to have good instincts for the position.

Our defence looked pretty solid, especially considering we didn't play any starters in the front seven. The secondary looks to have a lot more talent and depth than we had last season. Some ball hawks back there altho we dropped or just missed a few INTs.

Noel is a talent for sure. Wylie will stick as the new Spencer, at least until Spencer is back. Ambles may be kept around on some sort of list. Shaw has clearly made the team since he didn't play.

Agreed on all points, Paul. The Argo QBs simply did not have time to throw the ball tonight which was why Kilgore was pulled so early. No way that Milanovich wanted to risk losing him in a preseason game.

R.J
06-18-2016, 01:09 AM
Oline was terrible. Josey looks about the same and I'm still not impressed, but Baker didn't look that great either. Why isn't Campbell given a shot at rb ? Wylie had the fumble early on return, but I like what I saw from him at receiver; IMO if he can stay healthy he's a very good slot to have.

Defensively - Isiah Green had a very good game and I'd like to see him grab a starting spot. Berry, Mitchell and Legree all looked good and I hope they make the roster and push the starters (I'd actually like to see one of 'em nab a starting spot as well). Still not sold on Heath - gets beat too often for my liking.

Not liking the additional coaches challenges already; IMO the league should take them all out.

Medeiros can punt, but FG kicking is not his forte. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I'm very happy Hajrullahu is our all purpose kicker.

Rich
06-18-2016, 01:27 AM
Wylie looks awfully fragile out there.

I thought he looked like a tough little SOB out there. Had the fumble on the first return, but he played every down, he retuned punts, covered kicks, took some huge hits and made some tough catches in tight quarters. The guy is a gamer. People said Dressler but Wylie's more Edelman, possession-type underneath guy. They need to keep this guy.

And Llevi Noel too, I think there's something special about this kid. I like the idea the Argonauts are going to out-hustle their opponents this year. There was a lot of explosive big play potential in those DBs tonight.

Will
06-18-2016, 01:32 AM
I went to the Hamilton exhibition game instead of watching this one...

Was it our starting offensive line in the game or the depth players? I see that the Argos surrendered something like 8 sacks.

Sounds like Montreal was shut down, but for one big play to Duron Carter.

We all know Stubler loves his play-makers, remember 2006 when it seemed like Byron Parker was taking it back weekly?

I know it's going to sound like I'm overreacting to a preseason loss, but the Argos do have to figure out how to beat Montreal. It isn't like they have since 2013, but I feel that Montreal's D can be especially effective in shutting down the Argo offense, and the Montreal offense has done just enough to win. Hopefully with Stubler in charge, the Argos can start winning some tight defensive battles. The team's ineffectiveness against Montreal offensively helps me to understand (at least a bit) where the Milanovich critics come from. Remember, it was Montreal that kept the Argos out of the 2014 preseason, and while the Argos are actually 5-6 against the Als in Milanovich's tenure, I don't remember the Argo offense playing out of their minds in any of those games.

PullTogether73
06-18-2016, 05:36 AM
I know it's going to sound like I'm overreacting to a preseason loss, but the Argos do have to figure out how to beat Montreal. It isn't like they have since 2013, but I feel that Montreal's D can be especially effective in shutting down the Argo offense, and the Montreal offense has done just enough to win.

FYI, the Argos took NONE of their starters to this game, while Montreal played all of their starters for a good chunk of this game, and won by 7 points.
Similar to your own comment in the Ottawa/Hamilton game thread, I wouldn't read too much into the score based on that.

Will
06-18-2016, 09:00 AM
FYI, the Argos took NONE of their starters to this game, while Montreal played all of their starters for a good chunk of this game, and won by 7 points.
Similar to your own comment in the Ottawa/Hamilton game thread, I wouldn't read too much into the score based on that.

Hence why I put the disclaimer about overreacting. It was also intended as a general comment for the upcoming season because the fact remains that Thorpe has been effective in devising game plans to shut down the Milanovich/Brady offense throughout the years.

AngeloV
06-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Oline was terrible. Josey looks about the same and I'm still not impressed, but Baker didn't look that great either. Why isn't Campbell given a shot at rb ? Wylie had the fumble early on return, but I like what I saw from him at receiver; IMO if he can stay healthy he's a very good slot to have.

Defensively - Isiah Green had a very good game and I'd like to see him grab a starting spot. Berry, Mitchell and Legree all looked good and I hope they make the roster and push the starters (I'd actually like to see one of 'em nab a starting spot as well). Still not sold on Heath - gets beat too often for my liking.

Not liking the additional coaches challenges already; IMO the league should take them all out.

Medeiros can punt, but FG kicking is not his forte. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I'm very happy Hajrullahu is our all purpose kicker.

I wouldn't blame Heath for the TD by Carter. Looked to me that he released Carter to the inside then realized that Gordon didn't have proper depth at safety and it was too late to recover. IMO the blame there is on Gordon.

ArgoGabe22
06-18-2016, 09:32 AM
I remember when the CFL site would show 6-9 minutes of highlights for their game recap. All I found now was 3 plays courtesy of Sportscentre. I hope it's just a preseason thing. (Or they just haven't cut the plays yet).

OV Argo
06-18-2016, 09:57 AM

Dillon Campbell - has he dressed or played at all in the 2 ex. games? For those who have seen a bit of TC - where has he lined-up/ has he got many reps on actual offence?

Have to wonder if maybe he was drafted as a project slotback to be in line behind Durie & Coombs at that hybrid slot position for non-imports? Doesn't seem like he is getting a shot to compete at tailback, and if a stiff like Josey is assumed to be better, there might be something wrong with that picture - my guess is tailback is an imports only position in terms of starter for Millanovich - though Coombs can play & sub in there (and did a bit last season). I'll bet Campbell gets outright cut.

Argo57
06-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Who I liked:

Markeith Ambles: Made some good catches in the first half. Got behind coverage.

Edwin Baker: Made better decisions than Josey. All Josey ever seems to do is head up the gut and run into a brick wall. Baker seems more multi-faceted.

Cody Fajardo: Had a nice game, but then again, with the way our O line was playing, our pocket passers were doomed. Fajardo at least could give us a different look.

Jimmy Legree: In on a bunch of plays, looked good dropping into coverage.

Thomas Miles: Had a great first half, and is versitile. Able to play middle or weak side.

Llevi Noel: Looks tough to bring down. Why was he on returns? He didn't do a bad job there, but I don't think he has the speed.

Devon Wylie: Not a bad game. Seems like he's able to get open. We'll see how good his hands are.

Who I didn't like:

Entire O-line: I realize that Montreal was playing some starters, but our O line was completely useless, particularly in the second half.

Chris Kolankowski: Couldn't even snap the ball to Gale. Kind of an important part of the job.

Henry Josey: Just more of the same we saw last year. Likes to run straight into the D line, not big enough to do anything once he gets there.

Matt Sewell: Saw him beat badly at least once.

Accurate summary, I think Sewell is done, Wylie looks like he can play but seems rather fragile, biggest improvement this season will be the defence, combo of much improved coaching and serious upgrade in talent.
O-Line was abysmal last night, Gale looked more like a third baseman trying to handle those snaps from centre.
I still put Montreal as one of the least likeable teams in the CFL.

1argoholic
06-18-2016, 10:13 AM
dmont summed things up nicely. Same guys caught my eye for good or bad reasons. I know it's preseason but I'm not sure that we have a Chad Owens type returner. Young healthy Chad. haha. Montreal has found one in that little 5'6" speedster.

I'm really impressed with Fajardo and his ability to move and throw on the run. Imagine this guy playing with first stringers. Yah I like him right from the get go when watching plenty of college highlight packages. Man does he have a burst and he's not tiny.
Berry, Mitchell, Legree looked good and Heath has potential.

O'line had bigger holes then Swiss Cheese. There where guys that just couldn't move their feet. It looked like a bantam O line.

Funny how obvious it was that some guys played very well and others looked lost.

Oh yah Ambles looked great. We have a glut of receiver talent. I like Baker over Joesy. Baker looks like a more powerful runner with a good burst even though with the blocking or lack thereof it was hard to see.

Argo
06-18-2016, 11:21 AM
Josey needs to be cut. Sewell... meh. Could the Argos please find a high-quality kick returner one of these years?!

Stevoman
06-18-2016, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't blame Heath for the TD by Carter. Looked to me that he released Carter to the inside then realized that Gordon didn't have proper depth at safety and it was too late to recover. IMO the blame there is on Gordon.

It looked like it was on Gordon to me too and I wasn't impressed with Gordon's giving up on the play after Carter caught it as well. (I mean, I know Carter is fast, but if you can't even chase hard during pre-season when you're trying to make the team, when will you?)

Will
06-18-2016, 11:24 AM
Again, was this our depth on the OL getting exposed or the starters. Either way, even if it was the former, it is still a cause to be slightly concerned as these are the guys we'd be counting on if there are injuries.

R.J
06-18-2016, 11:26 AM
I'm not completely blaming him for the Carter TD either, but that doesnt excuse the fact that he's gotten beat quite a few times in too games. He seems to chase a lot; which to me is very concerning.

paulwoods13
06-18-2016, 11:31 AM
It looked like it was on Gordon to me too and I wasn't impressed with Gordon's giving up on the play after Carter caught it as well. (I mean, I know Carter is fast, but if you can't even chase hard during pre-season when you're trying to make the team, when will you?)

I agree completely with both sentiments.

paulwoods13
06-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Again, was this our depth on the OL getting exposed or the starters. Either way, even if it was the former, it is still a cause to be slightly concerned as these are the guys we'd be counting on if there are injuries.

Not quite. The only one we were really counting in IMO was Sewell. I assume Smith and McEwen rank ahead of everyone who played last night. Mind you, Smith is always injured and McEwen has yet to take a CFL snap. Hopefully one of the import backups and either Sewell or Circelli are capable of being 8 and 9 on the depth chart. But I certainly don't hold out much hope for Sewell.

paulwoods13
06-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Dillon Campbell - has he dressed or played at all in the 2 ex. games? For those who have seen a bit of TC - where has he lined-up/ has he got many reps on actual offence?

Have to wonder if maybe he was drafted as a project slotback to be in line behind Durie & Coombs at that hybrid slot position for non-imports? Doesn't seem like he is getting a shot to compete at tailback, and if a stiff like Josey is assumed to be better, there might be something wrong with that picture - my guess is tailback is an imports only position in terms of starter for Millanovich - though Coombs can play & sub in there (and did a bit last season). I'll bet Campbell gets outright cut.

He hasn't played an offensive snap. Either he's not gonna make the team or he is and the coaches were more interested in figuring out who the INT backup RB is.

Will
06-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Not quite. The only one we were really counting in IMO was Sewell. I assume Smith and McEwen rank ahead of everyone who played last night. Mind you, Smith is always injured and McEwen has yet to take a CFL snap. Hopefully one of the import backups and either Sewell or Circelli are capable of being 8 and 9 on the depth chart. But I certainly don't hold out much hope for Sewell.

Which in itself concerns me because we aren't sure whether Van Zeyl will return to form either.

OV Argo
06-18-2016, 01:05 PM
He hasn't played an offensive snap. Either he's not gonna make the team or he is and the coaches were more interested in figuring out who the INT backup RB is.

If a guy hasn't played an offensive snap in 2 ex. games, my guess is the coaching staff think little of him; and I sort of doubt he is going to make the team as a tough, special teams gunner type.

Maybe a wasted draft pick, but he did have the very good college ball production resume to rate drafting; might have bombed in Argo TCs 2 years in a row? - if he isn't given any shot to compete at RB when a mediocre like Josey is kept around, he must not be doing much right in camp, or, he wasn't going to get a serious shot at his natural position to begin with.

Will
06-18-2016, 01:08 PM
If a guy hasn't played an offensive snap in 2 ex. games, my guess is the coaching staff think little of him; and I sort of doubt he is going to make the team as a tough, special teams gunner type.

Maybe a wasted draft pick, but he did have the very good college ball production resume to rate drafting; might have bombed in Argo TCs 2 years in a row? - if he isn't given any shot to compete at RB when a mediocre like Josey is kept around, he must not be doing much right in camp, or, he wasn't going to get a serious shot at his natural position to begin with.

Team did lose Gillanders in offseason so who knows.

ArgoRavi
06-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Which in itself concerns me because we aren't sure whether Van Zeyl will return to form either.

I think that two or three of the o-linemen who played a lot last night are heading back to the CIS this year so they aren't even in the equation right now. The o-line last night consisted almost entirely of players who are well down the depth chart. The Als, conversely, played their starters a fair bit. I wouldn't read much of anything into this game.

ArgoRavi
06-18-2016, 02:26 PM
Team did lose Gillanders in offseason so who knows.

Declan Cross is probably the one who will replace Gillanders IMO.

R.J
06-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I also didn't like that Gordon gave up and IMO he's another guy that shouldn't make the team. I also agree with others that it's time to cut bait with Sewell; this is his 3rd year and he's shown no improvement.

gilthethrill
06-18-2016, 06:42 PM
How do you get a No Yards call on a blocked PAT? CFL rules committee..toss that rule into the garbage can.

argofan81
06-18-2016, 09:36 PM
How do you get a No Yards call on a blocked PAT? CFL rules committee..toss that rule into the garbage can.

That was exactly my thought watching the game....never heard of that rule before. I'm not even sure if Milanvich understood it either since I noticed him having a lengthy discussion with one of the refs after.

Argo57
06-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Last nights ref looked he would open up a can of whoopass on anyone who questioned him.
I think he is a new official, don't remember seeing him before.

AngeloV
06-19-2016, 12:03 AM
Last nights ref looked he would open up a can of whoopass on anyone who questioned him.
I think he is a new official, don't remember seeing him before.

He was the same official that got hammered in the middle of a pile a couple of years ago. I think it was the first time he has worked as head ref.

ArgoRavi
06-19-2016, 02:10 AM
He was the same official that got hammered in the middle of a pile a couple of years ago. I think it was the first time he has worked as head ref.

Yes, Ben Major is his name. I believe he worked as a head ref a week ago for the first time. I am guessing that he may be replacing Foxcroft for now who is in training in the NFL.

gilthethrill
06-19-2016, 06:43 AM
Yes, Ben Major is his name. I believe he worked as a head ref a week ago for the first time. I am guessing that he may be replacing Foxcroft for now who is in training in the NFL.

I don't expect the NFL will allow Foxcroft to return to the CFL after having him. He is long overdue to make the jump....isn't that right AV?????:)

Argo57
06-19-2016, 08:43 AM
I don't expect the NFL will allow Foxcroft to return to the CFL after having him. He is long overdue to make the jump....isn't that right AV?????:)

My friend and I sat with Foxcroft on the GO train last weekend on the way to the Argo pre-season game.
He is taking part in the NFL referee training program but will be back in the CFL in week 3 or 4.
Nice guy to chat with.

Will
06-19-2016, 08:45 AM
My friend and I sat with Foxcroft on the GO train last weekend on the way to the Argo pre-season game.
He is taking part in the NFL referee training program but will be back in the CFL in week 3 or 4.
Nice guy to chat with.

Was he wearing a Ticat jersey by chance :p

Argo57
06-19-2016, 09:39 AM
Was he wearing a Ticat jersey by chance :p

LOL
Neutral, CFL golf shirt, he has Ticat and Argonaut season tickets.
I told him I will still yell at him on a regular basis if he screws up.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8