PDA

View Full Version : Final Round of Cuts

Will
06-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Nothing public yet, but Travis Hawkins appears to be among the cuts:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was just released by the Argonauts. I want to thank this organization for giving me a second… <a href="https://t.co/L9wHytNULe">https://t.co/L9wHytNULe</a></p>&mdash; Travis Hawkins (@1HawkIsland) <a href="https://twitter.com/1HawkIsland/status/744209657456013312">June 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argo57
06-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Nothing public yet, but Travis Hawkins appears to be among the cuts:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was just released by the Argonauts. I want to thank this organization for giving me a second… <a href="https://t.co/L9wHytNULe">https://t.co/L9wHytNULe</a></p>&mdash; Travis Hawkins (@1HawkIsland) <a href="https://twitter.com/1HawkIsland/status/744209657456013312">June 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No surprise IMO, better and younger talent in camp.
Class post on Instagram!!!

Will
06-18-2016, 12:58 PM
No surprise IMO, better and younger talent in camp.
Class post on Instagram!!!

Agreed.

ArgoRavi
06-18-2016, 02:09 PM
At one point during last night's game, Cuthbert and Forde were talking about veteran players who are on the bubble but don't realize it and about how being in the lineup last night for a veteran might have been a clue that they were on the bubble. The camera immediately showed Hawkins but the commentators didn't say anything. I am guessing though that Hawkins had the feeling over the past couple of weeks that he was in trouble. I am not sure how he couldn't have.

R.J
06-18-2016, 05:39 PM
Classy post, so i'll keep it classy and wish him the best in his future endeavors.

Wobbler
06-19-2016, 12:34 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So far Im hearing Travis Hawkins &amp; Herve Tonye-Tonye are among the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> latest cuts. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Clay Chisholm (@AllKindsOfClay) <a href="https://twitter.com/AllKindsOfClay/status/744365985306644481">June 19, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

gilthethrill
06-19-2016, 06:40 AM
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="display: block; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; position: static; visibility: visible; height: 180px; " data-tweet-id="744365985306644481" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe> <script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If Tonye Tonye is cut, I wonder if that opens the door for young draft pick Curtis Newton? I chatted with his dad at the pre season game. He was very excited for his lad.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; "></iframe>

1argoholic
06-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Man Ford and Cuthbert nailed it with those comments. Hawkins struggled but a class guy obviously.

Will
06-19-2016, 08:36 AM
Tonye-Tonye has been with the team for several years now. I guess the coaching staff felt that he's reached his ceiling and wanted to go with other options.

Skinny G
06-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Cuts just got posted.. Kackert back on the practice roster... as well as Mitchell Gale. Surprised they chose Josey over Baker. A bit disappointed they didn't give Dillon Campbell more of a shot as well.

Released: RB Edwin Baker, RB Dillon Campbell, OL Joe Circelli, OL Fou Fonoti, DB Travis Hawkins, DB Shane Herbert, LS Joseph Iatzko, OL Chris Kolankwoski, DB Jimmy Legree, K Zach Medeiros, WR Ryan Nieuwesteeg, OL Damien Parris, LB Herve Tonye-Tonye, DL Joshua Watson, LB Nicholas Williams, DL Trevardo Williams

Practice Roster: WR Markeith Ambles, DL Kenny Bishop, WR Kevin Bradfield, QB Mitchell Gale, RB Chad Kackert, LB Curtis Newton, OL Devonte Wallace, WR Malcolm Williams, WR Devon Wylie.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/06/18/making-moves-tracking-final-cuts-around-the-cfl/

Argo57
06-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Cuts just got posted.. Kackert back on the practice roster... as well as Mitchell Gale. Surprised they chose Josey over Baker. A bit disappointed they didn't give Dillon Campbell more of a shot as well.

Released: RB Edwin Baker, RB Dillon Campbell, OL Joe Circelli, OL Fou Fonoti, DB Travis Hawkins, DB Shane Herbert, LS Joseph Iatzko, OL Chris Kolankwoski, DB Jimmy Legree, K Zach Medeiros, WR Ryan Nieuwesteeg, OL Damien Parris, LB Herve Tonye-Tonye, DL Joshua Watson, LB Nicholas Williams, DL Trevardo Williams

Practice Roster: WR Markeith Ambles, DL Kenny Bishop, WR Kevin Bradfield, QB Mitchell Gale, RB Chad Kackert, LB Curtis Newton, OL Devonte Wallace, WR Malcolm Williams, WR Devon Wylie.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/06/18/making-moves-tracking-final-cuts-around-the-cfl/

Josey over Baker would be the only surprise for me.
Nice to still have Kackert still involved with the Argos.
Not sure how Fonoti was even invited to camp TBH.

Wobbler
06-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Hmm. By my count we'll have 11 receivers on the roster (including Coombs and Durie as receivers). That's a lot of receivers.

R.J
06-19-2016, 11:08 AM
Disappointed to see Kackert brought back tbh - it's time to let go. Also disappointed to see Campbell released when he was never given a shot. I'm surprised to see Josey kept over Baker - maybe he's the better blocker ?

sthfan1988
06-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Kackert will get his chance again. I thought he looked pretty good in camp the couple of days I was there. RBs get hurt. Noel looks like a keeper. Big and lanky and fast. Pretty excited to see how Ricky will get the ball to these guys.

Wobbler
06-19-2016, 11:26 AM
I'm not surprised that we went with Josey. Based on his Friday performance I thought he looked pretty good (and quicker than Baker). Neither of them were productive, but I think it would have looked different if our OL had been able to create the holes they were supposed to.

gilthethrill
06-19-2016, 12:46 PM
I wish we could keep Medeiros on the PR, unless be goes on the neg list. We all know what happened last year. I like Phil Bates but did not expect him to stick due to the talent at Receiver. Good move bringing Kackert back. He can still play and also brings in a great locker room presence. Who replaces Hebert as the backup National DB?

ArgoRavi
06-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Disappointed to see Kackert brought back tbh - it's time to let go. Also disappointed to see Campbell released when he was never given a shot. I'm surprised to see Josey kept over Baker - maybe he's the better blocker ?

Do we know that Campbell really wasn't given a shot? Did anyone see how Campbell performed in training camp? If he didn't perform well there, he wasn't going to see much, if any, action in preseason. I would assume that he simply did not show enough to the coaching staff during training camp.

I wish we could keep Medeiros on the PR, unless be goes on the neg list. We all know what happened last year. I like Phil Bates but did not expect him to stick due to the talent at Receiver. Good move bringing Kackert back. He can still play and also brings in a great locker room presence. Who replaces Hebert as the backup National DB?

Medeiros cannot go to the neg list. He is simply a free agent. Bates was not released, was he? I don't see him listed among the cuts.

Will
06-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Bates was not released AFAIK. I think what gill meant was that he expected Bates to have been released given the logjam at receiver.

paulwoods13
06-19-2016, 01:52 PM
I count 55 guys still on the "active" roster -- 10 DBs, 8 d-linemen, 7 LBs (Tonye-Tonye is still listed, but cut), 2 FBs, 1 K, 10 o-linemen, 3 QBs, 3 RBs (including Coombs), 11 receivers. I guess nine guys are destined for the injured list. Bulcke, Jones and Spencer are definitely out. My guesses for the others include Sackey, Campbell, Bates and Bradfield.

I'd have kept Campbell over Bradfield, personally, if for no other reason than he could probably become a more valuable STer.

Medeiros is probably going to remain available if we run into a Hajrillahu injury. I don't see other teams being desperate for a kicker at this point.

I like the team we have. Excellent talent and depth at receiver, experienced stars at QB and RB, great depth at d-line and LB. The big questions IMO are will the o-line gel, will the secondary be better than last year and can we find a reliable kick returner?

Wobbler
06-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Bradfield is on the PR.

Wobbler
06-19-2016, 02:06 PM
I'm a bit surprised that we didn't keep 4 DTs on the roster since it's not clear (to me) that Waud is ready for a big workload. Maybe Angelo(?) was right and we'll be going with a 30-front more often this year. And what are we going to do with 11 receivers? Even if we *can* stash a few on the IR, I don't see the point other than hiding them from other teams.

gilthethrill
06-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Bates was not released AFAIK. I think what gill meant was that he expected Bates to have been released given the logjam at receiver.

Thanks Wil, that is exactly what I meant....sorry to confuse you Ravi!

OV Argo
06-19-2016, 03:28 PM

Unless he is all of a sudden starting, Matt Black is the veteran "national backup" DB who could play all positions in the D-backfield.

Barker & Millanovich must really like this Josey guy somehow, but I doubt he ever plays unless Whitaker gets injured - at least I hope he does not.

No back-up kicker experience on the game roster is a disaster waiting to happen IMO - what happens if Harralaju gets injured in a game = no place kicker OR punter for the rest of that game. There are position players who at least have some kicking experience on their resume (like Dave Stala), and if a CFL team is fool-hardy enough to have just one dual kicker, then they should have an emergency kicker with some skills at it.

Is it going to be an all-NI O-line? or is Van Roten a starter i guess? / and are Durie/Coombs pencilled-in at one receiver spot in the 5 pack ?

5 or 6 NI starters on O, plus at least 3 on D (Greenwood, Foley, Gabriel for sure, plus maybe Waud at DT or Miles at MLB) = at least 8 NI starters/ 9 NI starters = OMGOB !

paulwoods13
06-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Four NATs (plus VR) on the o-line, one at receiver (Durie/Coombs in rotation), one on d-line (Foley), one at LB (Greenwood) and one at safety (Gabriel) means eight for sure. I could see doing one more on defence. If you actually start nine, you can freely substitute for two of the positions without having to make other compensatory changes. So may as well list Waud as a starter (if he is healthy) and then rotate him with Robertson and Hall. I'm pretty sure Miles will not be listed as a starter but if/when we go to a three-four, I assume he takes one of the two inside spots alongside McFadden.

I can also envisage scenarios in which both Durie and Coombs are on the field at the same time, but that seems less likely given how many good INT receivers we have.

Ron
06-19-2016, 04:57 PM
Disappointed to see Kackert brought back tbh -

You won't be saying that when Whitaker gets hurt and he comes back and has 150 yards rushing and catching.

R.J
06-19-2016, 05:09 PM
There are some interesting names that have been released. I wonder if Barker takes a look and picks up the phone for CDN OL TDre Player, INT RB Lache Seastrunk, CDN OL Aaron Picton, CDN OL Quinn Lawlor ?

You won't be saying that when Whitaker gets hurt and he comes back and has 150 yards rushing and catching.
It must be nice, living in Never-Never Land. Maybe I'll visit you sometime when I need a break from reality.

OV Argo
06-19-2016, 06:02 PM
I'm a bit surprised that we didn't keep 4 DTs on the roster since it's not clear (to me) that Waud is ready for a big workload. Maybe Angelo(?) was right and we'll be going with a 30-front more often this year. And what are we going to do with 11 receivers? Even if we *can* stash a few on the IR, I don't see the point other than hiding them from other teams.

You mean 4 on the 46 man roster and not the game roster, right? Cause no CFL team I can think of dresses 4 pure DTs on a regular basis; but what might make sense is an extra D-lineman dressed who has the capability to play both inside and out - some size & strength to play DT, but also some athleticism and pass rush ability to line-up at DE too. And when you really don't have to worry about getting tested by a consistent running attack in the CFL, I think I\d prefer more quicker pass rush ability D-linemen, with extra DEs - for rotation, and other times just line-up 3 DE types on the line.

ArgoZ
06-19-2016, 06:12 PM
There are some interesting names that have been released. I wonder if Barker takes a look and picks up the phone for CDN OL TDre Player, INT RB Lache Seastrunk, CDN OL Aaron Picton, CDN OL Quinn Lawlor ?

It must be nice, living in Never-Never Land. Maybe I'll visit you sometime when I need a break from reality.

Having a player like Kack (with his experience and ability), on the practice roster is an amazing luxury.

Shatto
06-19-2016, 06:16 PM
IMO not any big surprises in the decisions but a few small surprises:
. Newton over Tonye-Tonye since Tonye-Tonye always seemed to perform well on ST's
. DE Hazel over T Williams. Williams was a former NFL 4th round draft choice and Hazel looks a little light for DE but Hazel did look good at TC
. Echoing Paulwoods13 sentiments re the need for a reliable kick returning, it seems strange that Wylie is on the PR in light of last year's returners, Jefferson and Spencer now on the 6 game injury list.
Since the coaches have seen all practices and games and have the advantage of watching hours of film, they undoubtedly have a far better handle on the players than mere mortals like us fans.

ArgoZ
06-19-2016, 06:40 PM
IMO not any big surprises in the decisions but a few small surprises:
. Newton over Tonye-Tonye since Tonye-Tonye always seemed to perform well on ST's
. DE Hazel over T Williams. Williams was a former NFL 4th round draft choice and Hazel looks a little light for DE but Hazel did look good at TC
. Echoing Paulwoods13 sentiments re the need for a reliable kick returning, it seems strange that Wylie is on the PR in light of last year's returners, Jefferson and Spencer now on the 6 game injury list.
Since the coaches have seen all practices and games and have the advantage of watching hours of film, they undoubtedly have a far better handle on the players than mere mortals like us fans.

You may get some flak for that NFL comment, LOL. Many reasons why a former NFL drafter can't crack a CFL roster. As for Wylie, you could say that the deciding factor to offer him the practice roster spot, was for the injury reasons you listed. He can very well play if needed, but those receivers were "ballers" this year in camp. Who do you cut to get him in?

Wobbler
06-19-2016, 06:53 PM
You mean 4 on the 46 man roster and not the game roster, right?
That's correct.

AngeloV
06-19-2016, 07:12 PM
I don't see the point other than hiding them from other teams.

Isn't it nice that we can do that this year, and be on level footing with the rest of the league in that respect?

but what might make sense is an extra D-lineman dressed who has the capability to play both inside and out - some size & strength to play DT, but also some athleticism and pass rush ability to line-up at DE too.

Earlier in camp they were talking about Tracy Robertson having the ability to play both inside and out on the D Line.

As for Wylie, you could say that the deciding factor to offer him the practice roster spot, was for the injury reasons you listed. He can very well play if needed, but those receivers were "ballers" this year in camp. Who do you cut to get him in?

IMO, Kenny Shaw earned the right to get the first opportunity. He had a great camp. Wylie also didn't do himself any favours with his fumble the other night.

Wobbler
06-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Isn't it nice that we can do that this year, and be on level footing with the rest of the league in that respect?
Point taken. It's not my money, after all!

R.J
06-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Having a player like Kack (with his experience and ability), on the practice roster is an amazing luxury.
Then he should coach IMO and the team should use his spot for a young running back with potential.

IMO, Kenny Shaw earned the right to get the first opportunity. He had a great camp. Wylie also didn't do himself any favours with his fumble the other night.
I agree that Shaw earned the right to a roster spot, but I still really like Wylie (IMO a ridiculous amount of potential), and while the fumble didn't help his case - it's one fumble.................. Chad Owens had butter fingers and turned into a good player. Though Owens fumble issues came back every once in awhile.

Side note - Anyone else surprised that Sewell made the team ?

AngeloV
06-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Then he should coach IMO and the team should use his spot for a young running back with potential.

I agree that Shaw earned the right to a roster spot, but I still really like Wylie (IMO a ridiculous amount of potential), and while the fumble didn't help his case - it's one fumble.................. Chad Owens had butter fingers and turned into a good player. Though Owens fumble issues came back every once in awhile.

Difference being Chad Owens also made a lot of great plays. So far Wylie has made ZERO. To me, he looks flashy with little substance. Hopefully I'm wrong, but that is what I see .

Owens, like Shaw also paid there dues before getting their time. Owens being a KR and occasional receiver to start (not to mention PR time in Montreal), and Shaw spending all of last year on the PR with a start at the end of the season. Nothing was handed to them, and nothing should be handed to Wylie.

R.J
06-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Difference being Chad Owens also made a lot of great plays. So far Wylie has made ZERO. To me, he looks flashy with little substance. Hopefully I'm wrong, but that is what I see .
In the beginning ?
I recall Owens needing a few games before we saw the all purpose player he became and IMO it took a long time before Owens looked like he could be a decent - good receiver.

AngeloV
06-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Owens didn't see many balls on offence until about half way through his first Argos season. When he played, he lined up at the boundary side WR position, and basically was an afterthought. It was year 2 they moved him to the slot and used him a lot.

R.J
06-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Nothing was handed to them, and nothing should be handed to Wylie.
I agree, just pointing out that I like Wylie; not that he should have a roster spot over Shaw at this point.

Owens didn't see many balls on offence until about half way through his first Argos season. When he played, he lined up at the boundary side WR position, and basically was an afterthought. It was year 2 they moved him to the slot and used him a lot.
Yes, I remember, but even when Owens took his slot position; he didn't look that great. Ricky Ray changed things....................

ArgoZ
06-19-2016, 07:46 PM

It is more of an insurance stance than developing a young RB. It would be very unfair and unwise to ask said RB to immediately come into a game to replace Whitaker and be able to block, know the offence and even perform like Kack can.

Kackert is 29 years old (prime age, experienced, hardly a geezer). Wylie 27 (time is running out if not starting). Shaw 24 (you got your developing potential star here). I think the team has a good mix up of vets to rookies and just the right balance. No need to rip on Kack and add another unproven.

AngeloV
06-19-2016, 07:48 PM
I agree, just pointing out that I like Wylie; not that he should have a roster spot over Shaw at this point.

Yes, I remember, but even when Owens took his slot position; he didn't look that great. Ricky Ray changed things....................

70 catches on a bad team with Lemon and Dalton Bell throwing the ball? What's wrong with that?

Wobbler
06-19-2016, 07:51 PM
I am, but I think he'll be released when McEwan is healthy.

R.J
06-19-2016, 07:52 PM
It is more of an insurance stance than developing a young RB. It would be very unfair and unwise to ask said RB to immediately come into a game to replace Whitaker and be able to block, know the offence and even perform like Kack can.

Kackert is 29 years old (prime age, experienced, hardly a geezer). Wylie 27 (time is running out if not starting). Shaw 24 (you got your developing potential star here). I think the team has a good mix up vets to rookies and just the right balance. No need to rip on Kack and add another unproven.
I completely disagree about Kack, but this vortex is already tiring. I don't recall stating that Shaw had no potential; all I stated was that I like Wylie and think he has a ridiculous amount of potential. IMO Wylie has the potential to be a true elite slotback; which IMO is rare in today's CFL. I will say that I think Wylie has more potential than Spencer, but that's a whole other conversation.

70 catches on a bad team with Lemon and Dalton Bell throwing the ball? What's wrong with that?
As you know Angelo - stats aren't the end all be all for me. IMO Owens only turned into a top end receiver when Ray showed up - he was much more sure handed and IMO was finally running better routes, but that's just me.

1argoholic
06-19-2016, 09:13 PM
I think Kack can still play. 29 isn't old!!!!! They just didn't get him the ball enough when they played him last year. He still had the bounce in his step and that ability to bowl guys over. Everyone goes through ups and downs through life and health issues. He's a top notch athlete who when given the chance will play well.

Wylie has to prove he can play at high level and shown flashes. I thought Barker should have been given a shot. Not big on Joesy at all.

I've learned to trust Barker but sometimes he lives you shaking your head.

R.J
06-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Could someone please show me where I said Kackert is old ???
Whitaker is older (by 1 year) than Kack and I've stated multiple times that I wanted to keep BWhit and that I still think he (Whitaker) can still play. Kack is done IMO; which doesn't always mean old.

ArgoZ
06-19-2016, 10:16 PM
Could someone please show me where I said Kackert is old ???
Whitaker is older (by 1 year) than Kack and I've stated multiple times that I wanted to keep BWhit and that I still think he (Whitaker) can still play. Kack is done IMO; which doesn't always mean old.

You remarked how Kackert's PR spot should be used for a younger RB with potential. While not directly expressed, the comment does suggest it.

With regards to Shaw. I wanted to illustrate that we have an abundance of young players with potential and conversely, having a vet like Kack on the PR is a bonus, not a waste.

If age is not a concern, what exactly do you not like about Kackert? Why is he "done"?

R.J
06-19-2016, 10:31 PM
You remarked how Kackert's PR spot should be used for a younger RB with potential. While not directly expressed, the comment does suggest it.

With regards to Shaw. I wanted to illustrate that we have an abundance of young players with potential and conversely, having a vet like Kack on the PR is a bonus, not a waste.

If age is not a concern, what exactly do you not like about Kackert? Why is he "done"?
No thanks. I've already posted my views on Kack. We have a difference of opinion - why not just leave it at that ?

Wobbler
06-19-2016, 11:37 PM
No thanks. I've already posted my views on Kack. We have a difference of opinion - why not just leave it at that ?
This is a public forum. Why not just ignore the offending post? Not responding doesn't mean you lost (a lesson I [hopefully] continue to learn).

Shatto
06-20-2016, 12:02 AM
We have lost all three of last year's returners, Spencer and Jefferson to injury and Owens to the Ti-Cats. The nature of the CFL game makes a dangerous returner, a very important aspect to the game. Potentially, Wylie might be that individual for the Argos. No other player, so far, has shown the potential to fill the role. As much as I admire Bates as a receiver, the team has such a plethora of big talented receivers, perhaps he could be replaced by Wylie, who could be a backup receiver and the primary returner.
There is no guarantee that Wylie is the answer to the team's need but I'd like to see him given the opportunity to show whether he can do the job or not.
Just a thought, folks.

R.J
06-20-2016, 12:16 AM
This is a public forum. Why not just ignore the offending post? Not responding doesn't mean you lost (a lesson I [hopefully] continue to learn).
I really don't give a rats behind if I "lose" an internet debate. Also the posts didn't offend me, but I've explained why I think Kackert shouldn't be on the roster or even wasting a practice roster spot multiple times - the conversation was becoming a vortex. So why waste time explaining my thoughts once again ?

Rich
06-20-2016, 01:42 AM
We have lost all three of last year's returners, Spencer and Jefferson to injury and Owens to the Ti-Cats. The nature of the CFL game makes a dangerous returner, a very important aspect to the game. Potentially, Wylie might be that individual for the Argos. No other player, so far, has shown the potential to fill the role. As much as I admire Bates as a receiver, the team has such a plethora of big talented receivers, perhaps he could be replaced by Wylie, who could be a backup receiver and the primary returner.
There is no guarantee that Wylie is the answer to the team's need but I'd like to see him given the opportunity to show whether he can do the job or not.
Just a thought, folks.

I would have kept either Wylie or Ambles ahead of Bates, but this organization seems to be extremely loyal to its veterans, moreso than other clubs maybe. The Kackert thing is a perfect example. Who else puts a 5-year vet on the PR?

R.J
06-20-2016, 02:15 AM
I would have kept either Wylie or Ambles ahead of Bates, but this organization seems to be extremely loyal to its veterans, moreso than other clubs maybe. The Kackert thing is a perfect example. Who else puts a 5-year vet on the PR?
Agreed on all counts.

R.J
06-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Shane Herbert was picked up by the Riders.

Neely2005
06-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Glad to see that the Argonauts made the right decision with Kackert. He was great in the one and only game that he was utilized properly last season.

OV Argo
06-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Just a thought, folks.

I was impressed by Wylie (fumbled though, but after a beautiful over the shoulder catch and decent return) - he might be the kick return guy who can also play receiver.

Agreed that a dangerous return guy is key in the CFL. Maybe Coombs can get some duty there too. I was quite disappointed that draft pick Ryan Neuuwesteg (shifty, productive returner in college ball and an OUA all-star kick returner) got no opportunity to show what he could do in the pre-season games - quite sure he was dressed; but wrong passport I guess to get a real shot - why did they bother to draft the guy? = joins fellow draft pick Dillon Campbell with zero pre-season game playing time opportunity to try to compete for a job. Quite the shocker there.

R.J
06-20-2016, 02:45 PM
I was impressed by Wylie (fumbled though, but after a beautiful over the shoulder catch and decent return) - he might be the kick return guy who can also play receiver.

Agreed that a dangerous return guy is key in the CFL. Maybe Coombs can get some duty there too. I was quite disappointed that draft pick Ryan Neuuwesteg (shifty, productive returner in college ball and an OUA all-star kick returner) got no opportunity to show what he could do in the pre-season games - quite sure he was dressed; but wrong passport I guess to get a real shot - why did they bother to draft the guy? = joins fellow draft pick Dillon Campbell with zero pre-season game playing time opportunity to try to compete for a job. Quite the shocker there.
I'd also like to see Coombs get a real shot at returns; IMO it's something that's right up his alley.

argolio
06-20-2016, 03:06 PM
Small sample size, but Neuuwesteg didn't distinguish himself during the two days I was at camp. By comparison, Bradfield was noticeable, and he ended up making the roster.

I'm guessing Campbell couldn't pick up the blocking schemes. That's gets a back nowhere with the Argos, or probably any pro team.

AngeloV
06-20-2016, 03:55 PM
Small sample size, but Neuuwesteg didn't distinguish himself during the two days I was at camp. By comparison, Bradfield was noticeable, and he ended up making the roster.

I'm guessing Campbell couldn't pick up the blocking schemes. That's gets a back nowhere with the Argos, or probably any pro team.

I agree. I still find it amazing that some think that players don't get "real" shots at making a team. Coaching staffs break down all video of every practice. If an assignment is missed, they know about it, and in the end, mental mistakes are way worse than physical ones.

OV Argo
06-20-2016, 04:57 PM
I agree. I still find it amazing that some think that players don't get "real" shots at making a team. Coaching staffs break down all video of every practice. If an assignment is missed, they know about it, and in the end, mental mistakes are way worse than physical ones.

Exactly ! - the coaches know everything and never miss a thing or make a mistake in evaluating players, or in anything to do with football for that matter. Bias, favortism, pencilling-in their guys, NEVER happens and it's silly to think it does. It's a totally objective procedure in determining who is "good enough" - video gets fed into a Central Scrutinizer football expert computer and the results are the truth. ;o)

:shhhh:

OV Argo
06-20-2016, 05:13 PM
I'd also like to see Coombs get a real shot at returns; IMO it's something that's right up his alley.

Coombs did a bit of returning for the Argos last year and looked ok - he has the moves and some speed; not sure he has that much kick return experience.

Bradfield was a dual (punts & kick-offs) returner in CIS ball and put up some pretty decent numbers - how many returns did he have for the Argos last year?

Neuiwesteeg was a dual returner with Guelph and outstanding at punt returns - 103 returns for 1585 yards (15+ average) with 4 TDs over his last 2 seasons; mind you, that means nothing cause it was probably against HS level defenders; same reason I have little faith in Llevi Noel's outstanding CIS receiving season to mean much for the CFL - he's probably do nothing in Argo pre-season games if he played. ;o)

doubleblue
06-20-2016, 05:26 PM
I am, but I think he'll be released when McEwan is healthy.

I thought Sewell played a steady game and showed his experience over the two young guys Campbell and Sackey. Those two guys have the tools now it is up to the Coaches to Coach them up. Playing a game against Montreal 1st stringers will be a valuable learning session IMO. They have a ways to go with their technique. I would hope that offensive line never has to play in front of Ricky this year. Milanovich wasn't long getting Kilgore out of there.

Impressed again with Noel, although I'm not surprised after seeing his video. He might turn out to be the Argos best player from this years draft. Just has that natural God given ability that you can't teach when he gets the Football and he gets separation. There is still things for him to learn at the Pro level, but he is going to see action early in the season IMO. Barker was lucky he was still there in the 4th round.

AngeloV
06-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Exactly ! - the coaches know everything and never miss a thing or make a mistake in evaluating players, or in anything to do with football for that matter. Bias, favortism, pencilling-in their guys, NEVER happens and it's silly to think it does. It's a totally objective procedure in determining who is "good enough" - video gets fed into a Central Scrutinizer football expert computer and the results are the truth. ;o)

:shhhh:

Not saying they know everything, but they know a hell of a lot more than you or I. They are there every day in camp, and watch all the film immediately after. What do you have to go by? CIS stats? NCAA stats? They all mean squat when these players are competing against other pros.

OV Argo
06-20-2016, 09:39 PM
Not saying they know everything, but they know a hell of a lot more than you or I. They are there every day in camp, and watch all the film immediately after. What do you have to go by? CIS stats? NCAA stats? They all mean squat when these players are competing against other pros.

Yep - the coaches should certainly know more than you or I - hopefully ;o)

Are you saying pro scouts have little to no regard for college ball stats? Any pro football coaches ever cut a guy who went on to be a good to great football player? - nah, never happens.

I'm stuck with judging players from seeing them actually play football on a football field in game competition. I saw Neuuwestig play in CIS play-off action last year - very impressive returner IMO; but that's just know nothing about football me; he may well be one of those guys who was good in college ball, but not near good enough for the pros. Didn't get to see him play or see any stats for him in pre-season action for the Argos; same with Dillon Campbell.

argolio
06-21-2016, 12:11 AM
Exactly ! - the coaches know everything and never miss a thing or make a mistake in evaluating players, or in anything to do with football for that matter. Bias, favortism, pencilling-in their guys, NEVER happens and it's silly to think it does. It's a totally objective procedure in determining who is "good enough" - video gets fed into a Central Scrutinizer football expert computer and the results are the truth. ;o)How exactly would a "totally objective procedure in determining who is 'good enough' " work anyway?

ArgoRavi
06-21-2016, 12:34 AM

Neiuwesteeg did play receiver against Montreal but was not terribly noticeable.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8