PDA

View Full Version : Argos change time of home pre-season game to Noon

AngeloV
04-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Didn't this fail miserably a few years ago? I'm not thrilled that I'm going to have to take a day off work if I want to see the pre-season game. To add a little conspiracy theory here, any chance Rogers is behind this? Maybe they used some B.S. excuse of needing the extra time to convert the stadium for some other event?

http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-schedule-change

1argoholic
04-04-2012, 02:25 PM
I know for paying season ticket holders it's shite but hopefully a few kids get turned onto CFL football for life after this experience.

Argocister
04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
This is major crap for me. Tuesday is the busiest day of the week and there is no way I can take this day off. I am very disappointed as I like to see the players that will not be starters play and show their stuff.
So is it 5 free tickets for each seat held? May as well send a bunch of kids.
At least I can get to the Ticats pre season game.

Invader
04-04-2012, 04:30 PM
It's a terrific idea to get the kids out to an Argos game and hopefully pack the place. Last year's exhibition game drew an announced crowd of 12,000, so they don't have much to lose. The 3:00 pm Saturday start for the Argos first reg. season home game is not very convenient either as many people are busy during the day on Sat.

ArgoGabe22
04-04-2012, 04:30 PM
I can see why no one is happy and I would be too especially if I had a job. Luckily school is over and I can attend but I doubt its a Rogers thing. They just want to expose the Argos to youngsters, maybe that guy in the Town Hall meeting gave them the idea to do it again.

AngeloV
04-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Argos did their pre-seoason game as a mid week noon start 1 year in recent memory (although the actual year escapes me) and it was a huge failure. I really doubt that there were even 2500 in the stands that day. I don't like it, and personally feel that any ST holder that doesn't use their ticket for this game, should be able to exchange it for an equal value ticket to any other game during the season, or at the very least get a credit towards buying merchandise in the dome for equal value of the ticket.

Argocister
04-04-2012, 06:47 PM
............. should be able to exchange it for an equal value ticket to any other game during the season, or at the very least get a credit towards buying merchandise in the dome for equal value of the ticket.

Good idea. Well, I will not be able to make a noon game, so maybe I'll give my tickets away and take the extra tickets we will be offered and do my own promo. Get a bunch of students to head down to T.O . As long as they wear Argos shirts and cheer for our team

;)

Nob
04-04-2012, 10:05 PM
I guess that means that TSN won't be broadcasting this game (they did all the pre season games last year, except the Argos home game). That won't be good for us folks out here in the lost society that would want to watch the game.

Treblecharger1
04-04-2012, 11:15 PM
This is a great idea if it is done the correct way! Distributing 30,000 tickets is not an easy task and then ensuring that each seat is actually used is another thing. I will be using my 10 free tickets for my brothers High School team.

Ron
04-05-2012, 12:03 AM
The Argos did it before but on every short notice. Not enough time for groups to get together. This time they are taking the shot with much more lead time.

But it still does treat season seat holders like crap.

1argoholic
04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
That's the thing. The people who have stuck with the team get the shaft. Some people can adjust their schedule but I'm sure some have a bugger of a time with trying to get time off or can't afford the time off. When we were still in Mississauga I would take the schedule and write it all in my daily planner. As a self employed guy I would make sure I didn't work afternoons of game days or at least had enough time to get downtown early.

argonaut11xx
04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
hmmm.....are they going to be selling beer??....i sure hope so...

Argos
04-05-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm one of those who are frustrated with this. If I recall, my season tickets are 17 percent below face value, which means you can miss one game and come out ahead, but not two. By playing this game at a non-feasible time, suddenly, if I miss one regular season game, I'm money behind. To top it off, the schedule was out for a couple of months, so new STH thought it was a normal evening game.

To me, fans should be offered a 1/10 th refund on their tickets if they choose not to keep their tickets for this game. I'll probably contact the team to see if they're planning to do this next year before I renew, as I may be better off with single game tickets.

Mulder
04-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I wasn't going to goto the Pre-season game anyways. Hopefully TSN picks it up. I'll may still watch at work. (Or listen)

As for compensation, I've always thought of pre-season games as gimme, and don't really count towards the season. Last year they said you can't swap the pre-season game tickets for a regular season game.

If even 1 kid starts wearing an Argo Jersey/gear around the city because of this change, it'll be a complete success. If the Argo's put on a show some of these kids may be begging their parents to take them to another one.

1argoholic
04-05-2012, 02:04 PM
I agree that they have to do something and hopefully this is the start of good maketing ideas. No doubt that more than a few kids love the atmosphere at a football game and come back. If you've never been than how do you know how much fun it is? They'll love the fact that you don't have to sit on your hands and keep your mouth shut.

Argos
04-05-2012, 02:18 PM
SnowRouge, we're all entitled to our opinions of course. The one thing I'd say though, you wonder why fans are upset about the cost to their wallets. It's really not incumbent on the fans, die-hard or otherwise, to spend money to promote a team. The promotion dollars fall on the team itself. And that's why I suggest offering a refund.

The Hamilton situation is a great example. I'd love to see the Argos do something like that. There's 50,000 seats in the Rogers Centre. Give every season ticket holder 10 vouchers - they won't all get used, but maybe half will. Get 30,000 out there - a lot more than this event will likely draw - and play the game at a standard time. You draw new fans and STH still get to see the game!

1argoholic
04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
If ticket sales continue to be slowish I say give tickets away. Why the hell not. Get asses in the seats. Some might actually enjoy the game and come back. You'll always have the diehards but The Argonauts have to develop more of a following. I know some people will feel ripped off as season ticket holders but this never bothered me. It's more fun when the place has big crowds.

Argos
04-05-2012, 02:33 PM
If ticket sales continue to be slowish I say give tickets away. Why the hell not. Get asses in the seats. Some might actually enjoy the game and come back. You'll always have the diehards but The Argonauts have to develop more of a following. I know some people will feel ripped off as season ticket holders but this never bothered me. It's more fun when the place has big crowds.

As a STH, I'd be fine with that! As long as the games aren't at noon. LOL

shayman
04-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I remember the similar 2003 exhibition game, played at noon on a Thursday in front of a mostly-school crowd. We knew we'd have trouble getting the full Argonotes crew out because people have jobs etc. So we recruited three high school bands to join us and wound up putting together the largest Argos band in recent history - 82 musicians in the end zone. Everybody had a great time. We're thinking of something similar for this game.

Mulder
04-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I remember the similar 2003 exhibition game, played at noon on a Thursday in front of a mostly-school crowd. We knew we'd have trouble getting the full Argonotes crew out because people have jobs etc. So we recruited three high school bands to join us and wound up putting together the largest Argos band in recent history - 82 musicians in the end zone. Everybody had a great time. We're thinking of something similar for this game.

This would be awesome!

Argos
04-05-2012, 04:14 PM
I agree to an extent that the fans shouldn't have to spend "their" money to promote the team, but as far as the refund........... if that's the thinking then I suppose any game day that is not acceptable to fans should also be refunded right ?, and I don't agree with that. Fact is the Argos have given us more than enough time (2 and a half months) to find a way to attend the game or not, of course people that work will have major issues with it, but this is a great idea, as opposed to having 12,000 in the stands for a weeknight pre season game, why not get 20,000+ fans and kids to attend.

The difference to me is, weekends and weeknights are traditional times for games. They're traditional times because most people can attend then. I was disappointed to see two one pm Saturday games, I know I'll miss those too most likely, or at least part of the game. But they'll still be on tv so I can watch later on PVR. Plus, it's a time most people aren't working. But noon on a weekday, in downtown Toronto where parking is likely impossible (I don't work downtown so I don't know, but I'm betting parking is limited and expensive), it's not accessible for many people. It's an inconvenience at best to STH, why not throw them a carrot to keep your main source of ticket revenue happy?

Mulder
04-05-2012, 04:27 PM
The difference to me is, weekends and weeknights are traditional times for games. They're traditional times because most people can attend then. I was disappointed to see two one pm Saturday games, I know I'll miss those too most likely, or at least part of the game. But they'll still be on tv so I can watch later on PVR. Plus, it's a time most people aren't working. But noon on a weekday, in downtown Toronto where parking is likely impossible (I don't work downtown so I don't know, but I'm betting parking is limited and expensive), it's not accessible for many people. It's an inconvenience at best to STH, why not throw them a carrot to keep your main source of ticket revenue happy?

I drive downtown for every game, Parking is far from impossible. And depending on how close to the dome you want to Park it can be anywhere from $25 right across from the Dome, $20 down the street, $9 at the Green P at the foot of church street to $6.00 at the underground lot at Front and University (which can be a pain to get to)

RoRoYoBoat
04-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Being a season ticket holder has other benefits too. Fan Forum that many here enjoyed was a special treat for STH. I can understand the frustration with scheduling of games in general has been a problem but this will create new fans provided it is done right, all schools are called and thing coordinated properly.

Maybe the team can make it up to season ticket holders with an evening BBQ during camp or something like that or a free calendar.

I mean the team is getting half a million to help promote itself...

Argos
04-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Definitely, the issue is time. The fact that it was initially scheduled at a standard time probably makes it a bit more frustrating.

Ron
04-05-2012, 07:31 PM
It is a great idea. Just too bad they thought of it after the scheduled time of the game came out as that causes some anger with many season seat holders. People do not like changes like that.

I also have a long held belief that the Argos should always use the 500 level to sell heavily discounted tickets to school groups. Try and fill that place with the fans of the future at every single game if they can. Could develop into a very good payoff down the road for the franchise.

ArgoRavi
04-05-2012, 08:48 PM
While B.C. has opened up their entire stadium, there are a fair number of complaints among Lions fans about many of their seats being overpriced.

LLB997
04-05-2012, 09:00 PM
No need to be upset about this IMO.Its an exhibition game, let the little brats have it. It all goes towards increasing the fanbase so its a good thing. The big brats will own the reg season.

argotom
04-05-2012, 09:29 PM
In fact, I would open up the entire stadium for the one pre season game.
Therefore not charging us season ticket holders for the game, however due to this potential loss I doubt this would be considered.

ArgoFan1
04-06-2012, 01:53 AM
I have always said they should open it up for discount prices. The fans of the future will go to games and eventually want to graduate to lower seats. I always thought it took away some of their support when they first closed it because it gave the impression that everyone now had to pay the higher prices for the lower seats. I sat in the 500 for many years, buying my ticket on game day and eventually got season tickets and now sit row one in the 200 level with two seats. It may thin the lower crowd out a bit if some people decide to go higher up, but with a larger overall number, the place will be louder and that helps the atmosphere and game day experience.
Now if we can only get them to stop playing that music so loud at every possible break in the action. There is a good play and you cannot even discuss it with the person next to you. I wish they turn it down by about 50%. You would still hear it, but at least you can talk. Sometimes it is just too painful when it comes in way too loud. Maybe I am just getting old !!!

Invader
04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
The problem with offering discount tickets to "fill the stadium" is it cheapens the value of all tickets. Each CFL team has about 15,000 hardcore fans who love football and will pay big-league prices for the choicest sideline seats. These fans are the lifeblood of any team. If teams offer $20 tickets a row behind $60 tickets, it won't be long before these hardcore fans realize they're getting ripped off. So it can be false economy to devalue these hardcore tickets on the hope cheaper tickets will attract enough fans to compensate the loss.

So teams have to walk the fine line: not pissing off the harcore season ticket base by offering cheapie tickets anywhere near their expensive seats...while attracting new fans with discounted tickets to fill up 30,000 empty seats.

I'm not so sure that high ticket prices are a major impediment to selling Argo tickets or that cutting prices in half would double the number of fans, for example (while keeping revenues neutral).

In B.C. Place, like Skydome, the upper deck was not sold for many seasons, with 30,000 fans crammed into the lower bowl (with 10,000 in the endzones). Then the Lions opened up one side of the upper deck (with an additional $20,000 in stadium rental costs) with ticket prices that were comparable to the lower sidelines ($40). First, a few thousand of the endzone fans moved to the upper deck, then more and more. Soon the upper deck was opened on both sides with those fans paying $40 instead of $20 in the endzones. Overall attendance didn't go much over 35,000 but with the average ticket price increasing.

The Argos could replicate this by opening up one-side of the upper deck for starters, but not with super-cheapie tickets to "fill the dome", more like $30-$35 tickets (but with a generous student discount), which wouldn't erode the lucrative season-ticket base in the lower bowl.

I also believe that televising home games with the stadium 2/3rd's empty is more of impediment to selling seasons tickets than high prices.

RoRoYoBoat
04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
The problem with offering discount tickets to "fill the stadium" is it cheapens the value of all tickets. Each CFL team has about 15,000 hardcore fans who love football and will pay big-league prices for the choicest sideline seats. These fans are the lifeblood of any team. If teams offer $20 tickets a row behind $60 tickets, it won't be long before these hardcore fans realize they're getting ripped off. So it can be false economy to devalue these hardcore tickets on the hope cheaper tickets will attract enough fans to compensate the loss.

So teams have to walk the fine line: not pissing off the harcore season ticket base by offering cheapie tickets anywhere near their expensive seats...while attracting new fans with discounted tickets to fill up 30,000 empty seats.

I'm not so sure that high ticket prices are a major impediment to selling Argo tickets or that cutting prices in half would double the number of fans, for example (while keeping revenues neutral).

In B.C. Place, like Skydome, the upper deck was not sold for many seasons, with 30,000 fans crammed into the lower bowl (with 10,000 in the endzones). Then the Lions opened up one side of the upper deck (with an additional $20,000 in stadium rental costs) with ticket prices that were comparable to the lower sidelines ($40). First, a few thousand of the endzone fans moved to the upper deck, then more and more. Soon the upper deck was opened on both sides with those fans paying $40 instead of $20 in the endzones. Overall attendance didn't go much over 35,000 but with the average ticket price increasing.

The Argos could replicate this by opening up one-side of the upper deck for starters, but not with super-cheapie tickets to "fill the dome", more like $30-$35 tickets (but with a generous student discount), which wouldn't erode the lucrative season-ticket base in the lower bowl.

I also believe that televising home games with the stadium 2/3rd's empty is more of impediment to selling seasons tickets than high prices.

:DYou got it !

Argos
04-06-2012, 04:28 PM
I have always said they should open it up for discount prices. The fans of the future will go to games and eventually want to graduate to lower seats. I always thought it took away some of their support when they first closed it because it gave the impression that everyone now had to pay the higher prices for the lower seats. I sat in the 500 for many years, buying my ticket on game day and eventually got season tickets and now sit row one in the 200 level with two seats. It may thin the lower crowd out a bit if some people decide to go higher up, but with a larger overall number, the place will be louder and that helps the atmosphere and game day experience.
Now if we can only get them to stop playing that music so loud at every possible break in the action. There is a good play and you cannot even discuss it with the person next to you. I wish they turn it down by about 50%. You would still hear it, but at least you can talk. Sometimes it is just too painful when it comes in way too loud. Maybe I am just getting old !!!

I agree wholeheartedly on the music. It's impossible to talk over or cheer over, and it's not even what I'd consider decent music - its club stuff instead of typical football rock/rap/etc. the rest of the night and next day usually means a massive headache for me from the music (and no, I don't drink at games so it's not that LOL).
I've heard a lot of complaints about the music from the fans around me too - several of whom quit coming as the season went on. Don't know if that was due to music or play on the field, but I doubt the music helped.

LLB997
04-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I agree wholeheartedly on the music. It's impossible to talk over or cheer over, and it's not even what I'd consider decent music - its club stuff instead of typical football rock/rap/etc. the rest of the night and next day usually means a massive headache for me from the music (and no, I don't drink at games so it's not that LOL).
I've heard a lot of complaints about the music from the fans around me too - several of whom quit coming as the season went on. Don't know if that was due to music or play on the field, but I doubt the music helped.

you guys are not getting old at all. It appears you may have good taste and just don't want to hear garbage music.

ArgoGabe22
04-06-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm 19 and admit the music sucks and is way too loud. I don't listen to the mainstream stuff nor do I have a boom box in my car maybe that's why.

KCargosfan
04-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Perhaps a little "All She Wrote" by Firehouse is the correct remedy to this problem.

BATKINSON001
04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
The music sucks, the announcer sucks.

Argos
04-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Gotta love when he says "defence wants noise", the crowd tries to yell but gets drowned out by the loud music. I've been conditioned not to yell anymore!

Will
04-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Gotta love when he says "defence wants noise", the crowd tries to yell but gets drowned out by the loud music. I've been conditioned not to yell anymore!

I've also found that he says it a little too early. The crowd makes noise for a little bit, but it has subsided by the time that the opposing team is lining up to snap the ball.

argotom
04-07-2012, 05:24 PM

Agreed on both accounts, but especially most of the (c)rap that is not music at all.

Will
04-08-2012, 08:42 AM

I wonder if Nathan Downer will even be the PA announcer for the upcoming season. I'm no fan and other forum members have voiced their displeasure in the past.

AngeloV
04-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I wonder if Nathan Downer will even be the PA announcer for the upcoming season. I'm no fan and other forum members have voiced their displeasure in the past.

Not a big fan either, but if he's replaced, it'll probably be by someone that may even be worse. The last thing I want is someone that's going to uncontrollably yell and scream and think he's more important than the game. I think the biggest problem with Downer (other than the fact he doesn't take time to know the league well enough IMO), is that it appears as if he's trying too hard, rather than just being natural. I don't like seeing him on the board, almost as if he's reading a script.

RoRoYoBoat
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I was concerned that the technocrats in the schools would not bother with the logistics required for this but that article answers it quite well. Looks like a well planned event.

ArgoGabe22
04-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Now that would be funny if no schools/kids showed up and the seats were filled with only the old die hards who never miss a game.

RoRoYoBoat
04-10-2012, 04:27 PM
What would be even better is if a company was willing to sponsor Tshirts for all the kids to go home with. Probably would cost around 100k to print 25 000 Tshirts. That's a lot of free advertizing and the kids could get them signed after the game too. How about the milk people...

argotom
04-10-2012, 05:10 PM
What would be even better is if a company was willing to sponsor Tshirts for all the kids to go home with. Probably would cost around 100k to print 25 000 Tshirts. That's a lot of free advertizing and the kids could get them signed after the game too. How about the milk people...

That's a good idea.
While we are at it, why not give out those small Argo footballs that are thrown into the crowd.
Surely a sponsor for these can also be found.

Invader
04-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Now that would be funny if no schools/kids showed up and the seats were filled with only the old die hards who never miss a game.
One sure-fire way to get the kids to show up is to include a coupon for a free hot dog and pop. To cash in on their bounty, the kids will pester their parents to go to the game...even if they're indifferent to the Argos or football. This would cost the Argos some money, but might put an extra 20,000 kids in the stands. Without an inducement, even with a free ticket, kids might rather go home and play video games if given the option.

T-Bone
04-11-2012, 08:18 AM
One sure-fire way to get the kids to show up is to include a coupon for a free hot dog and pop. To cash in on their bounty, the kids will pester their parents to go to the game...even if they're indifferent to the Argos or football. This would cost the Argos some money, but might put an extra 20,000 kids in the stands. Without an inducement, even with a free ticket, kids might rather go home and play video games if given the option.
That might be a little harder to arrange as Rogers controls the concessions but I agree, worth a try.

Ron
04-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Listening on radio they said the Jays had 6000 school kids at yesterday's afternoon game.

ArgoRedneck
04-12-2012, 07:56 AM
I think it is a great idea to get kids to the game. They could be potential new fans along with parents. Hook them up with some hotdogs and a great time. Argos need to realize with ALL games they need to do unique things for current and single game fans, like the tailgate with a band and $2 beers and sausages. Take a loss sometimes to get people out to the game. Empty seats don't by tickets to the next game, hotdogs, beer, or popcorn at the game. It needs to become a game DAY not just a 3 hour game in the dome.

T-Bone
04-12-2012, 08:57 AM
My personal day has just been approved. Looks like I'm going to this game again.

ticatfan
04-12-2012, 03:37 PM
My personal day has just been approved. Looks like I'm going to this game again.

Nice, was just doing a vacation day count and I am good to go as well.

Argocister
04-12-2012, 11:30 PM
If half or more of the persons attending the game are students, it could be a very fun and crazy time. wish I could go.
It will also be good at getting the student s to participate in cheering for the Argos. Hopefully the announcer ( whoever that may be) can get it going. If not it will be on the shoulders of the Argofans

;)

ArgoGabe22
06-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Anybody got a spare voucher, possibly two they cannot use? I used all mine up lol

CptArcher
06-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Where do we get the vouchers? I am a season ticket holder.

argofandave
06-07-2012, 12:44 AM
I emailed my Argo rep last week and he said that he would mail me the 5 vouchers although I haven't receive them yet.

ArgoGabe22
06-07-2012, 09:45 AM
I haven't gotten them either but my seasons haven't arrived so I thought you get them when you get seasons delievered? I already have a huge list of people who will go for free. They all think the CFL is joke but they'll go if its free. Try to convert them lol

T-Bone
06-07-2012, 10:20 AM
I haven't gotten them either but my seasons haven't arrived so I thought you get them when you get seasons delievered? I already have a huge list of people who will go for free. They all think the CFL is joke but they'll go if its free. Try to convert them lol
Season tickets were shipped by Purolator. You may want to call your rep, if they tried to deliver them to you and you weren't home they probably went back to the depot. I also thought they would let us know how to get the 5 vouchers with some sort of note in the season ticket package or via e-mail. It did say in the Argos E-Blitz about the new start time that

Each Argos season ticket holder will be offered five ticket vouchers for the pre-season game to bring along up to five friends to enjoy an afternoon of hard-hitting football.
I haven't heard/read anything about it since. They dropped the ball on this initiative if you ask me.

argofandave
06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I just assumed that the 5 free tickets for the pre-season game would have been included with the season tickets especially after they changed the starting time of the game to a time that most people could not make it but they weren't. It shows in the season ticket holder booklet under "benefits" that st holders have the "opportunity to receive 5 free additonal tickets for the Pre-Season game..." but doesn't explain how to get them.

ARGO1979
06-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Your right about them dropping the ball.

I called my sales rep yesterday and he is going to put a request to have ticket master mail me my 5 tickets.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8