PDA

View Full Version : Naylor: Argos will try to sell Toronto on the experience

R.J
06-20-2016, 02:57 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/argos-will-try-to-sell-toronto-on-the-experience-1.511382

Very good read. Also a great little video featuring Brain Williams as well.

1argoholic
06-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Oh yah the Younger Hipper Crowd. hahaha. The tools that can't sit still to enjoy a game and that are on their BS mobile devices the whole game. Great to be stuck beside them. Be cool if the Argos really pushed to fill seats with high school and minor football kids from around Southern Ontario.

AngeloV
06-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Oh yah the Younger Hipper Crowd. hahaha. The tools that can't sit still to enjoy a game and that are on their BS mobile devices the whole game. Great to be stuck beside them. Be cool if the Argos really pushed to fill seats with high school and minor football kids from around Southern Ontario.

There just aren't enough players to fill seats with. Like it or not, you need the casual fans to come and enjoy themselves, and hopefully build on that.

Kenners
06-20-2016, 04:43 PM

You ain't soundin' very welcoming, now are ya? Like it or not, that crowd, which technically includes me, is what this team needs. This looking down on millennials and Gen Y is a big reason the Argos are in the situation they are in having to 'gain relevancy'. If that dude sitting next to you taking selfies enjoys their time, brings 2 or 3 more people next time, what do you care? they paid for their ticket, they can sit backwards for all I care as long as they don't badmouth the time they had. If they are spending 98% of their time instagramming and hastagging to their 100+ followers "#BMOField #football #Aarrggoos" that's 100+ more people the Argos advertise to. that's 100+ more potential fans. even if 1 of those fans becomes a ST holder, that person who spent the game tweeting their good time was worth it. I like the game. I started following the game last year. i'm in that generational group. I started following the Argos because i wanted to watch football. On this forum I'm not a minority, but out there, i definitely am, just like the rest of us here. If we weren't the Argos wouldn't be treated as the forgotten sports step child of the city. We gotta embrace the new generations of football fans, or soon to be. I don't know about anyone else here, but if i don't have fun at a place, i won't come back, and when my generation has fun, we social media the HELL out of it. TBH if we wanted to be hated on for having our phones out, we'd stay home and get yelled at by our grandparents.

this being said the over saturation and screen time on kids/young adults is a different topic altogether, one that I have an opinion on as well but this is getting off topic.....

anyways try not to hate the person on their phone next to you, that person is probably providing our team a HELL of a lot of FREE advertising for the sport/team that we all love.

/rant

Downtownfan
06-20-2016, 04:47 PM
You ain't soundin' very welcoming, now are ya? Like it or not, that crowd, which technically includes me, is what this team needs. This looking down on millennials and Gen Y is a big reason the Argos are in the situation they are in having to 'gain relevancy'. If that dude sitting next to you taking selfies enjoys their time, brings 2 or 3 more people next time, what do you care? they paid for their ticket, they can sit backwards for all I care as long as they don't badmouth the time they had. If they are spending 98% of their time instagramming and hastagging to their 100+ followers "#BMOField #football #Aarrggoos" that's 100+ more people the Argos advertise to. that's 100+ more potential fans. even if 1 of those fans becomes a ST holder, that person who spent the game tweeting their good time was worth it. I like the game. I started following the game last year. i'm in that generational group. I started following the Argos because i wanted to watch football. On this forum I'm not a minority, but out there, i definitely am, just like the rest of us here. If we weren't the Argos wouldn't be treated as the forgotten sports step child of the city. We gotta embrace the new generations of football fans, or soon to be. I don't know about anyone else here, but if i don't have fun at a place, i won't come back, and when my generation has fun, we social media the HELL out of it. TBH if we wanted to be hated on for having our phones out, we'd stay home and get yelled at by our grandparents.

this being said the over saturation and screen time on kids/young adults is a different topic altogether, one that I have an opinion on as well but this is getting off topic.....

anyways try not to hate the person on their phone next to you, that person is probably providing our team a HELL of a lot of FREE advertising for the sport/team that we all love.

/rant

well ranted.

paulwoods13
06-20-2016, 05:33 PM

Yeah, because high schoolers would never bring their phones to the game.

Will
06-20-2016, 08:18 PM

/rant

Well said!

R.J
06-20-2016, 08:32 PM
I'm not a fan of Gen Y/Millennials either (even though I'm in the age group), but we need them and need them now. The team shouldn't just focus on the young kids; they should focus on young kids, teenagers, millennials and the indifferent crowd. Would be nice if over time we got some of the haters on our side as well.

1argoholic
06-21-2016, 10:53 AM
I guess it's not so much young or old. It's watch most of the game and don't spent the whole game on your device. I see kids at Petes games who could have just sat home and played on their mobile devices. It's the addiction that has been created that pisses me off. If you want to pull out your device and take a few shots or text and talk the odd time, then fine. Why come if you're spending three hours with your head down texting? I see no need to have fans who don't participate. The Argos don't need people like that. They need passionate fans.

Hell Yah I'm old school!!

ArgoGabe22
06-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Next move: free wifi at BMO (if it already hasn't been done).

Kenners
06-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Next move: free wifi at BMO (if it already hasn't been done). they didn't at the preseason game. so I +1 this.

Antwon
06-21-2016, 12:55 PM
I'm not a fan of Gen Y/Millennials either (even though I'm in the age group), but we need them and need them now. The team shouldn't just focus on the young kids; they should focus on young kids, teenagers, millennials and the indifferent crowd. Would be nice if over time we got some of the haters on our side as well.

To date I think the Argos have done a great job focusing on all the generations. I totally get appealing to younger new fans.
And having Argo alumni walking around before the game mingling with fans is a great idea. Great for us "older fans" and makes a connection from the past to new fans.
I hope they can doo it for all home games.

marcwagz
06-21-2016, 12:58 PM
I guess it's not so much young or old. It's watch most of the game and don't spent the whole game on your device. I see kids at Petes games who could have just sat home and played on their mobile devices. It's the addiction that has been created that pisses me off. If you want to pull out your device and take a few shots or text and talk the odd time, then fine. Why come if you're spending three hours with your head down texting? I see no need to have fans who don't participate. The Argos don't need people like that. They need passionate fans.

honestly who cares.
We need people buying tickets.
Who cares if they spend the whole game turned around facing the wrong direction eating doritos.

Neely2005
06-21-2016, 01:00 PM

Be honest, this is you, isn’t it:
:-)

http://youtu.be/VJ6uvviKOgI

Bleeds Double Blue
06-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Who cares if they spend the whole game turned around facing the wrong direction eating doritos.

At the Rogers Center (and BC Place) those Doritos would cost about 14 bucks.

ArgoGabe22
06-21-2016, 02:04 PM

Just because the Argos are targeting the younger generation doesn't mean they're going after pot heads. 😝

Ron
06-21-2016, 02:18 PM
At one time sporting events were a distinguished place to attend. Suits and hats were the norm. Then they had to endure the young drunken kids that took over in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Oldies always have had issues with the new breed of young fools ruining everything. ;)

PullTogether73
06-21-2016, 03:42 PM
honestly who cares.
We need people buying tickets.

I care.
I'm with 1Argoholic on this one.
If you're not interested in the game, why go?
For the party? To be seen?
Go to a nightclub for that.

I've read lots of posts about how crappy the atmosphere was at Rogers Centre. Too many empty seats.
I don't see how filling seats with disinterested fans improves the atmosphere.

R.J
06-21-2016, 03:45 PM
I care.

I've read lots of posts about how crappy the atmosphere was at Rogers Centre. Too many empty seats.
So what's your solution ?
How do why get the 5-12, 12-17 and 18-34 crowds ? You know the ones that we need for the future and are addicted to their phones................

1argoholic
06-21-2016, 04:13 PM
People used to go because they wanted to watch a game and perhaps have a few beers. It's not that difficult to concentrate on a exciting sporting event for a few hours. Oh wait, society has created the latest addiction, hand held technology. Moderation people!

I'm not that old a fart Neely. hahaha.

Kenners
06-21-2016, 04:51 PM
I care.

But they're having fun! I mean if they aren't and they are pissed off and annoyed the game is happening, then I totally agree, don't come. But this "don't-come-if-you're-going-to-pull-out-your-phone" attitude is complete poison to our sport in my opinion.

R.J
06-21-2016, 05:12 PM
People used to go because they wanted to watch a game and perhaps have a few beers. It's not that difficult to concentrate on a exciting sporting event for a few hours. Oh wait, society has created the latest addiction, hand held technology. Moderation people!

I'm not that old a fart Neely. hahaha.
Trying to get people to concentrate nowadays is like trying to get pigs to learn to fly. Pretty much impossible lol

Golden Fleece
06-21-2016, 05:14 PM
Millennial fans are being underestimated. They want an experience. They want to feel their actions add to the experience. If they start making noise and the team seems to be feeding off the energy, they'll be all in. We need butts in every seat so that the noise level is multiplied by 26 000 and it becomes self-reinforcing.

Scooter McCray
06-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Millennial fans are being underestimated. They want an experience. They want to feel their actions add to the experience. If they start making noise and the team seems to be feeding off the energy, they'll be all in. We need butts in every seat so that the noise level is multiplied by 26 000 and it becomes self-reinforcing. There are only 2,500 seats left available for home opener. Let's get ready to make some noise...........

Golden Fleece
06-21-2016, 08:37 PM
There are only 2,500 seats left available for home opener. Let's get ready to make some noise........... Two more days! :biteme:

KCargosfan
06-22-2016, 01:52 AM
But they're having fun! I mean if they aren't and they are pissed off and annoyed the game is happening, then I totally agree, don't come. But this "don't-come-if-you're-going-to-pull-out-your-phone" attitude is complete poison to our sport in my opinion.

Great post.

PullTogether73
06-22-2016, 02:13 AM

Am I the only one who saw the video of a bunch of teenage girls/young women at a MLB game who were sitting in the stands together ALL staring into their phones while the game was being played? They actually were invited on to the Ellen Degeneres show when the video went viral. Ellen gave them each a new phone I believe.

Or the video of the woman sitting court side at an NBA game who got struck in the face by the ball as it travelled out of bounds while she was staring into her friend's phone?

Yah, at least they paid for their tickets.
As for adding to the atmosphere at the game...:sick:

1argoholic
06-22-2016, 07:08 AM
It's an addiction. These are the same people who are totally beside themselves when they forget their phone at home. Life stops and they are devastated. F@#K!!!!!

Anyhow it is the world that's been manufactured.

So with or without mobile devices I hope those seats get bought and it'll be a great night tomorrow for those in attendance and for us watching hopefully not Rod Black.

Will
06-22-2016, 08:08 AM
I'm on my phone a lot during games -- tweeting out on the @argofans amount.

1argoholic
06-22-2016, 09:32 AM
All game long and not watching?

Neely2005
06-22-2016, 09:51 AM
I don't see the big deal. People use their phone as a camera and there are a lot of stoppages of play in football.

R.J
06-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Toronto Argonauts going long with attempt at a makeover
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/toronto-argonauts-going-long-with-attempt-at-a-makeover/article30547278/

A good read. Copeland "gets it" and I hope they're (Ownership and leadership) plans/vision come to fruition.

mchesher03
06-22-2016, 10:05 AM
we're reaching a bit here. i could care what others do at the game to be honest as long as they're not constantly in and out or standing in front of me. Having said that my only concern is we get some volume for the defence when they're on the field but I don't feel that will be a problem tomorrow - maybe i'm wrong?

Golden Fleece
06-22-2016, 05:05 PM
we're reaching a bit here. i could care what others do at the game to be honest as long as they're not constantly in and out or standing in front of me. Having said that my only concern is we get some volume for the defence when they're on the field but I don't feel that will be a problem tomorrow - maybe i'm wrong? So long as no one shushes me during a defensive stand I'll be happy. Happened once at an Argo playoff game at Skydome.

Neely2005
06-22-2016, 05:25 PM
So long as no one shushes me during a defensive stand I'll be happy. Happened once at an Argo playoff game at Skydome.

That happened to me at the Rogers Centre too. I told them that they were at a football game and if they wanted quiet to go to a Blue Jays game.

Tobythor
06-22-2016, 05:37 PM
I'll be posting the good times from the tailgate and at the game. In general I'm not a big facebook poster, but I know that by posting it, it could encourage others to check out a game. Like it or not, social media influences others and I see it as an easy way to help promote the team.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8