View Full Version : Week 2: Toronto Argonauts @ Saskatchewan Roughriders, June 30, 2016 Game Thread

Will
06-28-2016, 09:28 AM
Argos need to get back on the winning track for themselves as well as the sanity of some posters :)

AngeloV
06-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Argos need to get back on the winning track for themselves as well as the sanity of some posters :)

Are you new here?

;)

Neely2005
06-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Are you new here?

;)

Lol.

Scooter McCray
06-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Stay away from the Kool Aid as Regina is now Jonestown.

1argoholic
06-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Jones will test the O line so they better be up for it. Riders have been getting prepared for us for a while now and ready to go so it'll be tough.

Argo
06-28-2016, 11:47 AM
[Edit] Well, I just made a prediction, but deleted it. Tough as it is, I'm just going to wait to get a better handle on this year's Argonauts team.

R.J
06-28-2016, 01:15 PM
The Riders are a lot stronger than last year, but as too how much is anyone's guess. IMO this game isn't a gimme and Milanovich had better have our team ready.

Wobbler
06-28-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm quite curious to see how Durant looks. I wouldn't mind seeing the "Vet QB coming off an extended injury showing some rust and a home team looking a bit nervous in their opener" scenario happen to someone else this week.

R.J
06-28-2016, 01:28 PM
I'm quite curious to see how Durant looks. I wouldn't mind seeing the "Vet QB coming off an extended injury showing some rust and a home team looking a bit nervous in their opener" scenario happen to someone else this week.
Pffft. don't you know Ray is finished ?
Not the same scenario as Durant.

Stevoman
06-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Survive the first quarter without being down and they have a really good chance.

mchesher03
06-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Riders will come out full of p*ss and vinegar. Argos have to withstand the early onslaught, put majors on the board and get the riders into the situation of playing from behind. basically, the same road game as the ticats played against us last week. Hate to say it but it was a very very well executed game period and especially away game. Get the crowd out of it early, put up 42 points with only 1 turnover. If we can score majors (not field goals) i think our D will figure it out this week. Also think (hope) our O-Line is due for a bounce back game this week. Their collective pride has to be hurt a little.

gilthethrill
06-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Argos have some good games in Regina. I think the home team is still in transition with Jones. The Argos will be better and will come away with 2 hard earned points.

Ron
06-28-2016, 06:44 PM
I don't see the Argos pass D being fixed in 6 days.

Wobbler
06-28-2016, 07:01 PM
I don't see the Argos pass D being fixed in 6 days.
Sure, but did anyone really expect it to be any good right away? We have a new coordinator, two new LBs, and everyone in the secondary besides Gabriel is either brand new or playing a new position. It'll take some time.

Our (largely veteran and mostly unchanged) O, on the other hand, should have started strong. Time for a rebound, guys - we're going to need lots of points while the D gets its act together.

PullTogether73
06-28-2016, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know if there is a game viewing venue downtown for the game?
Jack Astor's maybe?

ArgoRavi
06-28-2016, 11:12 PM
Argos have some good games in Regina. I think the home team is still in transition with Jones. The Argos will be better and will come away with 2 hard earned points.

Completely agree with this.

PullTogether73
06-28-2016, 11:43 PM
Jack Astor's maybe?

Never mind.
I forgot that the game starts at 10 pm eastern.

1argoholic
06-29-2016, 07:19 AM
This could be a must win already as next week is Vancouver a place that we've struggled big time. Tomorrows game will help me decide what to think of this team and what direction we're heading. I know it's a long season but we look behind the other east teams at this point as far as growth. So difficult to judge with the player turnover.

mchesher03
06-29-2016, 09:32 AM
we're on a two game win streak at BC !!

haha before that you're right though we had lost something like 10 straight out there.

1argoholic
06-29-2016, 11:35 AM
They lost every game when we lived on Vancouver Island. haha. They won the year before we moved there and then right after we left.

Wobbler
06-29-2016, 11:45 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> depth chart vs. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Riders?src=hash">#Riders</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/gNZRb3anjx">pic.twitter.com/gNZRb3anjx</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/748176204453281793">June 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
06-29-2016, 11:50 AM
- Gabriel starting (nice!)
- Rankin & Berry instead of Green & Heath
- Miles is our MLB, as expected
- No changes on the OL for now

AngeloV
06-29-2016, 12:22 PM
That's 9 NI starters.

Wonder if Green is banged up, because despite the fluke tipped ball, I thought he looked good in week 1. Rankin did have a good camp, though. I liked Berry in camp on the corner as well, but must have been hard not to start Heath with his pre-season picks.

ArgoRavi
06-29-2016, 12:47 PM
That's 9 NI starters.

The heads of GOBs must be exploding right now.

paulwoods13
06-29-2016, 01:00 PM
Hazel sits for Bishop. One INT has to sit, I'm guessing it will be Bates rather than one of the DBs. NAT sitting will likely be Campbell again.

Neely2005
06-29-2016, 01:01 PM
Jack Astor's maybe?

http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-CFL-Meetup/

Friday is a holiday so the late start tomorrow shouldn't be as bad.
:-)

Neely2005
06-29-2016, 01:03 PM
They lost every game when we lived on Vancouver Island. haha. They won the year before we moved there and then right after we left.

So it was your fault!

R.J
06-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Happy to see that Gabriel will be back.
Is Waud injured or something ?

Wobbler
06-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Yup. Dang, we six-gamed a bunch of guys when I wasn't paying attention...

1argoholic
06-29-2016, 03:52 PM
It'll be easy dragging out od bed on Friday if we don't stay up real late to watch them lose. Well here's hoping the same guys on the O line pull together. I heard great things about Berry. Gabriel is great news.
Oh gunshot blast outside. No worries as I live in the sticks. Just some redneck.

PullTogether73
06-29-2016, 04:36 PM
http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-CFL-Meetup/

Friday is a holiday so the late start tomorrow shouldn't be as bad.

Don't know how I forgot about the holiday.
Thanks for the link!

AngeloV
06-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Marshall Ferguson was ripping on Green tonight on his show calling him the weak link in the Argos secondary. Maybe the Argos agreed with them when they chose to replace him. Just goes to show, sometimes (often?) the naked eye can be wrong.

Neely2005
06-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Don't know how I forgot about the holiday.
Thanks for the link!

No problem.
:)

KCargosfan
06-30-2016, 03:41 AM
That's 9 NI starters.

Milanovich may soon be kicked out of the GOB club for this atrocity.

Will
06-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Of note, this also represents the last game that the Argos should play at Taylor Field. I say should because we, of course, are aware of what happened in Winnipeg with the delays to the new stadium. The Argos are 19-24-1 in their games against Saskatchewan at Taylor Field.

Reggiemac
06-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Hopefully our offence has been retooled or else Ricky could be slaughtered. Maybe go with the younger mobile QBs?

Will
06-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Hopefully our offence has been retooled or else Ricky could be slaughtered. Maybe go with the younger mobile QBs?

It all falls on the five people in front of Ricky Ray. They did not keep him upright last week, and they must do so in order for the Argos to have any success. If poor offensive line play becomes a trend then I'm not going to be very happy with Jim Barker for failing to address the issues that we all knew existed on the right side of the OL from last year.

AngeloV
06-30-2016, 01:23 PM
It all falls on the five people in front of Ricky Ray. They did not keep him upright last week, and they must do so in order for the Argos to have any success. If poor offensive line play becomes a trend then I'm not going to be very happy with Jim Barker for failing to address the issues that we all knew existed on the right side of the OL from last year.

The line wasn't great last week, but I also think Ricky's rustiness had a bit to do with it. There were times when he took longer than normal to make his reads.

paulwoods13
06-30-2016, 02:55 PM
The line wasn't great last week, but I also think Ricky's rustiness had a bit to do with it. There were times when he took longer than normal to make his reads.

Interesting. Ricky himself says he rushed through his progressions.

“For whatever reason I rushed through my progression,’’ he added. “I kind of over compensated for it, rushing through decisions and not allowing for things to develop like I should have.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/06/26/many-wonder-if-argos-shouldve-kept-harris

OV Argo
06-30-2016, 04:18 PM

As i pointed out in the CFL Room thread Ravi - Ottawa started 9 NIs (and subbbed in a few others on O & D), AND beat the defending GC Champ Esks (who were in 7 NIs only need apply mode) in the first game - WTF? - go figure - GOBs will be confused (along with certain cFL cliche-fest type fans)

AngeloV
06-30-2016, 04:41 PM
Interesting. Ricky himself says he rushed through his progressions.

“For whatever reason I rushed through my progression,’’ he added. “I kind of over compensated for it, rushing through decisions and not allowing for things to develop like I should have.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/06/26/many-wonder-if-argos-shouldve-kept-harris

Rushing through progressions doesn't necessarily mean getting rid of the ball faster.

Ron
06-30-2016, 05:47 PM
As i pointed out in the CFL Room thread Ravi - Ottawa started 9 NIs (and subbbed in a few others on O & D), AND beat the defending GC Champ Esks (who were in 7 NIs only need apply mode) in the first game - WTF? - go figure - GOBs will be confused (along with certain cFL cliche-fest type fans)

Wait ... does this mean if Edmonton kills Ottawa in the rematch it means less NI's is better after all? ;)

1argoholic
06-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Ok let's get this party started!!!!

Argo57
06-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Ok let's get this party started!!!!

You'll need to hang tight, Harris is busy lighting up the Als D.

ArgoZ
06-30-2016, 10:14 PM
Great uniforms! I wonder why the "A" is not that big on the home helmets. TSN2 BTW.

Argos strike first. Here's to a craft beer with Argoholic!

1argoholic
06-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Hell yah!!!! Great start!!!! Think I'll crack a Hockley Valley Dark.

Argo57
06-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Rockin the pump fakes, keep it going!!!!

1argoholic
06-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Ray's washed up eh Rich??? We're heading to 17-1.

Neely2005
06-30-2016, 10:31 PM
So all of you who were blaming Ray last week...

1argoholic
06-30-2016, 10:51 PM
I wasn't blaming Ray but everyone thought he was crap. We can't give them anything here.

Neely2005
06-30-2016, 11:02 PM
Here we go again with the penalties.

1argoholic
06-30-2016, 11:03 PM
F that crap! Lets just make the game two hand touch. This is getting ridiculous.

1argoholic
06-30-2016, 11:20 PM
Too bad it's not Suiters final season. Holy crap can he get his nose any further up Rider Butt? I guess the Riders all test OFF THE CHARTS!!

Wobbler
06-30-2016, 11:33 PM
Steele looks awfully good. I wish we still had him...

1argoholic
06-30-2016, 11:38 PM
We can make any rb look just ok. I really wish we put more effort into having a solid running game.

1argoholic
06-30-2016, 11:54 PM
Suiter knows that two teams are playing right?

Once again Suiter shouldn't call Rider games. Holy crap he goes on and on and most likely has a Rider jersey under his suit.

Argo
07-01-2016, 12:05 AM
Steele looks awfully good. I wish we still had him...

All the ex-Argos are performing well wherever tonight.

Neely2005
07-01-2016, 12:37 AM
Great, who's our back up kicker again?

Wobbler
07-01-2016, 12:38 AM
Wow. I can't believe that Sask didn't block that punt. Lucky...

Neely2005
07-01-2016, 12:38 AM
All the ex-Argos are performing well wherever tonight.

The current Argonauts are looking pretty good so far too.

1argoholic
07-01-2016, 12:45 AM
We need to do something so we don't have a nail biting finish.

KCargosfan
07-01-2016, 12:52 AM
Greenwood has been a beast this game.

KCargosfan
07-01-2016, 12:54 AM
One heck of a punt.

KCargosfan
07-01-2016, 12:56 AM
The Riders are an awful football team.

1argoholic
07-01-2016, 01:07 AM
Yah!! Time to sleep. Happy Canada Day!!!!!

ArgoGabe22
07-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Why did we sign Hajrullahu again?

Will
07-01-2016, 02:03 AM
A wins a win, but still plenty of work to be done. Some might say we were fortunate to be playing the Riders.

marcwagz
07-01-2016, 02:09 AM
ray still looking average but i cant tell if its his fault or the O line or the receivers with their droppy drops

Will
07-01-2016, 02:12 AM
ray still looking average but i cant tell if its his fault or the O line or the receivers with their droppy drops

The Argos only had 252 yards of offense, although I also note that Saskatchewan had 36 minutes TOP compared to 24 for the Argos.

argolio
07-01-2016, 02:31 AM
Can't complain, so I won't.

ArgoRavi
07-01-2016, 02:33 AM
A solid win tonight. The defence got stronger as the game progressed while the special teams were outstanding from start to finish. The offence still isn't firing on all cylinders but it will get there before long. The offensive line had a much stronger game tonight in front of Ricky Ray while Brandon Whitaker also played much better.

I will be looking for continued improvement from this team next week in Vancouver.

Stevoman
07-01-2016, 03:08 AM
A nice special teams win! O and D did enough but looking forward to improvement with both.

ArgoGabe22
07-01-2016, 03:59 AM
Much improved on O, D and STs so we're hopefully headed in the right direction.

One concern though was that offence declined a bit in the second half. A lot of drops and three and outs. No TDs were scored either in the second half. Thankfully the defence stepped up.

Whittaker played better but there's just still something missing from him. Taylor didn't look too bad on the returns. And when Spencer returns what happens to Kenny Shaw?

gilthethrill
07-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Improved performance no doubt. Team has really stayed away from penalties for the second game in a row. Like the fact they tried to establish a run game, but it does not seem to be there. Hope Thomas Miles starts at MLB for the rest of the season. Love our kicker, how did The Riders not get a roughing the kicker call in the 4th? TSN confused me a couple times with the incorrect score. Expect another win next week on the West Coast.

paulwoods13
07-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Didn't see the game because travelling, but saw a few highlights. So glad we wore dark blue pants with the white jerseys and helmets. Now if only we would bust out Cambridge Blue socks a la 1991, and CB numbers a la 1977-80. A guy can dream . . .

RB957
07-01-2016, 09:18 AM
I agree with the game assessments that have been provided. The big thing is a win is a win, and after last week's shoddy performance, it was important to get back in the win column as soon as possible.

While overall play was much improved, the lack of a strong running game is an ongoing concern. We really need to see improvement there.

With the team staying out west for the week instead of coming back home, the team can hopefully continue to bond so that they have a strong game in Vancouver, and hopefully come back to Toronto for their next home game with a winning record.

Argo57
07-01-2016, 09:28 AM
Didn't see the game because travelling, but saw a few highlights. So glad we wore dark blue pants with the white jerseys and helmets. Now if only we would bust out Cambridge Blue socks a la 1991, and CB numbers a la 1977-80. A guy can dream . . .

Agree Paul, last nights colour scheme is my favourite.
Like the bigger logo on the white helmets as well.

Argo57
07-01-2016, 09:36 AM
I agree with the game assessments that have been provided. The big thing is a win is a win, and after last week's shoddy performance, it was important to get back in the win column as soon as possible.

While overall play was much improved, the lack of a strong running game is an ongoing concern. We really need to see improvement there.

With the team staying out west for the week instead of coming back home, the team can hopefully continue to bond so that they have a strong game in Vancouver, and hopefully come back to Toronto for their next home game with a winning record.

The Argos running game (or lack thereof) is a major concern, opposing teams can almost ignore it and key on our passing game.
The O-Line should accept a good chunk of the blame here but Whitaker has also looked rather underwhelming IMO.
Think back to 2012, Kackerts ability to break a big run certainly made the passing game much more effective.
I would love to see Kackert get a start to provide a change of pace and see what spark he can provide.

1971GreyCup
07-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Was at the game. Like last year, we got to play Chris Jones new players, new schemes on their first game of the year. I don't know if the Argos were much improved, or if Jone's team was dreadful. Ricky Ray played great. He had several dropped balls that ended promising drives. The noise at Taylor Field was deafening when Argos had possession. Ricky's years of playing here in this environment showed.

Taylor's run down to the 6 yard line to open Argos possession was a game changer. Being up 14-0 immediately didn't quieter Taylor Field, but it put new Riders in a huge hole.

Hazelton had a dreadful night. Not like him.

I thought the Jone's defensive strategy was to emulate Ticats defensive game plan last week. Ray and Argos were ready for that and countered nicely.

Nice to see pressure on Durant, particularly given his quality O-Line.

Stubler went ballistic when Defence started getting stupid Objectionable Conduct penalties. He certainly isn't going to go down with a porous 3 man rush and get picked apart like last season. Promising. Ricky Foley loves playing at Taylor Field and it shows.

Now let's play like this at home and generate local interest!

Argo
07-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Have not watched the game yet, however perusing the game log, it seemed there were too many "complete 2 passes for 8 yards and punt" occurrences.
I also have several other (chronic) concerns, however I temper my criticism in the face of a win. Currently, though, I'd place the Argos at #6 or #7 in the CFL power ranking.
Onwards and upwards?!

OV Argo
07-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Wait ... does this mean if Edmonton kills Ottawa in the rematch it means less NI's is better after all? ;)

LOL !

So - the OMGOB RedBlacks win again in trotting out 9 NI starters ... and the Argos do the same - 9 NI starters up against a football genius like Chris Jones who only needs 7 of them NI types apply?

That's 3 & 0 for those silly almost non-gob teams deploying 9 or more NIs - WTF are they thinking? - have they not heard of CFL "ratio problems", and what a "luxury" it has to be to be able to deploy imports at whatever position ?

:shhhh::bored:

Wobbler
07-01-2016, 10:57 AM
I think the offense did a very good job last night. We were protecting a substantial lead for practically the whole game, and it showed in our decision making: lots of clock-killing runs, a focus on getting into and staying in field goal range instead of taking chances, and a general emphasis on caution.

The D was improved, but I think the Riders flattered us a bit. Durant and his receivers were out of sync often enough to stop most of their drives, and our flashes of "brilliance" (e.g. Cam Walker's sack) weren't so great on closer examination.

Nice work by the ST with the glaring exception of that punt blocking failure that nearly killed Hajrullahu.

AngeloV
07-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Why did we sign Hajrullahu again?

Sarcasm?

AngeloV
07-01-2016, 11:40 AM
I was happy with the result.

The offence played well, definitely better than last week, although yards will not prove that. Receivers dropped too many balls. Bates and Whitaker having the most impactful drops. No turnovers, and as I mentioned in a another post, that usually leads to victories.

On D, Riders really seemed to pick on my guy (yes SnowRogue, I can admit it) Owusu-Ansah. He may be the odd man out when AJ comes back, because IMO, Berry looked very good. Argos continue to drop should be picks, but as long as they keep getting the opportunities, I think they will eventually start getting some.

Greenwood and Raymond were fantastic, and Miles looked pretty good too.

Not the pretties of wins, but not bad considering the Riders had actual game film on the Argos, and the Argos did not have any on them.

R.J
07-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Fluky win IMO. Still a lot of work to do.

Greenwood and Raymond were beasts.

Stevoman
07-01-2016, 01:40 PM

I love that there is piping around the numbers this year. It makes the white jersey even better and was already my favourite in all sports. (Just missing the Argo logo on the back though!)

1argoholic
07-01-2016, 01:54 PM
I think Berry looked solid and very confident out there as well. Raymond was my favorite Stamp and nice to see him playing well with us. I can't complain about our uni's as they look great.

Speaking on uni's Montreal's are the most improved and BC's are horrid with that orange blob on the helmet.

PullTogether73
07-01-2016, 02:00 PM
LOL !

So - the OMGOB RedBlacks win again in trotting out 9 NI starters ... and the Argos do the same - 9 NI starters up against a football genius like Chris Jones who only needs 7 of them NI types apply?

That's 3 & 0 for those silly almost non-gob teams deploying 9 or more NIs - WTF are they thinking? - have they not heard of CFL "ratio problems", and what a "luxury" it has to be to be able to deploy imports at whatever position ?

:shhhh::bored:

I'm amazed that fans still refer to "Imports" and "Non-imports" in the CFL.
I always found the term "Non-import" insulting and was glad they changed it to National.
However, I will go out and declare my proud standing as a "Non-import" at any Canada Day festivities today to support the older fans in the CFL who can't bring themselves to change.
:p

R.J
07-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Maybe we should change the designation of Nationals to Domestic and Internationals back to Import.

:p

1argoholic
07-01-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm a proud Non Import but my grandparents where Proud Imports from Belorus in the late 20's. haha. Well I guess they were lumped in as Dirty Russians (what people used to call them) when they moved to Canada and Winnipeg. Yet they always loved Canada and never talked about the homeland or felt the need to picket about their homeland issues.

The terms can be difficult to keep up with in this overly sensitive era we live in. When talking about race ( is that still proper?) or orientation as in LGBT. Too much to keep up with. Can't we just all worry about ourselves and let others live the way they want as long as they're not criminals. It's Canada in 2016 for shit sakes!!!!

Now Go Stamps Go!!!!!!

Reggiemac
07-01-2016, 02:25 PM
I liked how our D performed in spite of a rash of injuries. And I noticed how the D really forced Durant to take what we gave them like inside running and low percentage plays to the flat. And our kicking game was good but we really do need a RB that can strike fear into a defense. Plays to whittaker and coombs in the second half were drive killers. And Hazelton dropped too many balls when the game was on the line. It would have been nice to see the offence string together a few first downs in the late going to enable our D to get a breather. But overall a really good bounce back game in a difficult playing environment.

ArgoRavi
07-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Have not watched the game yet, however perusing the game log, it seemed there were too many "complete 2 passes for 8 yards and punt" occurrences.
I also have several other (chronic) concerns, however I temper my criticism in the face of a win. Currently, though, I'd place the Argos at #6 or #7 in the CFL power ranking.
Onwards and upwards?!

The Argos failed to convert on 2nd and short a few times which was frustrating. However, the key reason they won the game last night was that they didn't turnover the ball while they were able to force the Riders into some turnovers. Ray didn't force anything down field thus making key mistakes so he deserves credit for that.

ArgoGabe22
07-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Sarcasm?

You know it!

I love that there is piping around the numbers this year. It makes the white jersey even better and was already my favourite in all sports. (Just missing the Argo logo on the back though!)

I actually grew to like the all whites we wore in Regina last year. Just something about it that caught my eye. Did not like the Pickle look from the Riders at all.

AngeloV
07-01-2016, 03:22 PM
I actually grew to like the all whites we wore in Regina last year.

I did too, but I am far from a fashion expert.

Argo57
07-01-2016, 03:33 PM
I did too, but I am far from a fashion expert.

The contrast in colour between the blue pants and white jerseys while visually stunning also has a slimming effect as well.
I've always thought the Argonauts, Blue Jays and Maple Leafs uniforms are amongst the very best in each respective sport.
At least if a Toronto team sucks they look dapper in doing so!!

1argoholic
07-01-2016, 04:49 PM
The O linemen love the slimming aspect to those uni's. haha.

I want to see all Cambridge Blue.

There's been plenty of dapper yet sucking Toronto teams over the years especially the Leafs.

Double Dare
07-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Fluky win IMO. Still a lot of work to do. A win is a win, but I feel the Snot Riders lost more than Argos actually won. Yes, a lot of work to do.

Neely2005
07-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Game ball presentation:

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/07/01/go-inside-the-argos-locker/

PullTogether73
07-01-2016, 08:46 PM
The contrast in colour between the blue pants and white jerseys while visually stunning also has a slimming effect as well.

Please tell me that you made that statement as a joke.
It sounds like something you would hear on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy".
(I'm guessing. I never watched that show.)

Argo57
07-01-2016, 08:50 PM

Yes of course in jest, seems we are all amateur fashion critics here.

Argo
07-01-2016, 10:43 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

1argoholic
07-01-2016, 11:45 PM
Hey GreyDragon the fact that you remembered Queer Eye For The Straight Guy makes me laugh. Good analogy on Pride weekend. haha.

Wobbler
07-02-2016, 12:42 AM
Game ball presentation:

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/07/01/go-inside-the-argos-locker/
Nice.

Will
07-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Who is the special teams captain?

PullTogether73
07-02-2016, 04:14 AM
Hey GreyDragon the fact that you remembered Queer Eye For The Straight Guy makes me laugh. Good analogy on Pride weekend. haha.

Ha! Didn't think of that.

The comment just seemed very "fashion police" to me - like something you'd hear on a Hollywood red carpet broadcast.

@ArgoFan57. All good sir. Just teasing.

For the record, I like all four of the Argonauts combinations - all blue, all white, blue jersey/white pants, white jersey/blue pants. Argos have the best unis in the CFL imo.

Argo57
07-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Ha! Didn't think of that.

The comment just seemed very "fashion police" to me - like something you'd hear on a Hollywood red carpet broadcast.

@ArgoFan57. All good sir. Just teasing.

For the record, I like all four of the Argonauts combinations - all blue, all white, blue jersey/white pants, white jersey/blue pants. Argos have the best unis in the CFL imo.

No worries here✌️✌
I think they have the best uniforms in football, just as I think the Jays and Leafs do in their sports as well.

1971GreyCup
07-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Gabriel? He gave out ST game ball

Neely2005
07-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Nice.

My favorite part was Ricky Ray getting a game ball for having the biggest rush of the game @ 19 yards.

1argoholic
07-02-2016, 11:00 AM
That was killer!!

Does anyone remember when Ray rushed for over 100 yards against BC in Vancouver while an Eskimo. The middle would open up and he'd takeoff and BC just never clued in the whole game. It was great. Ray is far from washed up.

This week away will help the team bond even more so we can beat the team with the worst uniform's in the league next week. I can't get over the blob on the helmets.

Will
07-02-2016, 02:48 PM
An article from Frank Ziccarelli putting Ray's passing numbers (http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/01/ray-and-argos-thats-better) into better perspective.

argotom
07-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Was away last week so couldn't watch, but was pleasantly surprised with the win.
After the opening game fiasco, I have read the thread with the accounts on the game.
However, can someone outline briefly the keys to the victory.
I gather Ricky had a good comeback game?

ArgoGabe22
07-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Was away last week so couldn't watch, but was pleasantly surprised with the win.
After the opening game fiasco, I have read the thread with the accounts on the game.

Hmm....so they won when you were away? I think you're the real problem argotom :D

ArgoRavi
07-03-2016, 05:29 PM

Larry Taylor had two terrific punt returns which set up 10 Argo points. The defence played classic Stuber "bend but don't break" style. Ray had an efficient game as the offence did not turnover the football. Protection from the o-line and Whitaker was generally much better too.

gilthethrill
07-03-2016, 05:41 PM

Also AT, in addition to Ravi's fine assessment, for the second game in a row, the Argos are avoiding both drive killing/drive extending bad penalties.

Argo
07-03-2016, 06:36 PM
I watched the game yesterday.
The Riders played better than I thought before seeing the game. (BC will be more of a challenge, however.)
Chiles seems on par with any receiver that the Argos currently employ. I'll leave it at that until I see how he and the Argos' receivers play the rest of the season.
Steele looked great: losing him was not good. It seems that we've lost a younger, dynamic, RB (and ST force) that could have represented BW's successor.
BW getting the Pickup Truck Player of the Game award was just nonsense on the part of Suitor, or whoever makes the call.
Ray played quite well... very good to see. His receivers... not so much.
Improvement across the board on D and OL; the ceiling is rather higher still though.
Larry Taylor - finally a returner that know's what he's doing: how refreshing.

ArgoZ
07-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Larry Taylor had two terrific punt returns which set up 10 Argo points. The defence played classic Stuber "bend but don't break" style. Ray had an efficient game as the offence did not turnover the football. Protection from the o-line and Whitaker was generally much better too.

Is it not amazing how a vet returner can make such a difference? Many think you can simply put a young speedster back there.

R.J
07-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Ray played well ?
High percentage as per his usual, but under 200 yards is playing well ? 50% of Ray's yards were in the 1st quarter.
Trevor Harris gets knocked around here for putting up around 200-250 yards per game in his last 6 games.

It was a fluke win, where the riders beat themselves more than anything we did.

Wobbler
07-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Yes, Ray played well IMO.

Argo57
07-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Ray played well ?
High percentage as per his usual, but under 200 yards is playing well ? 50% of Ray's yards were in the 1st quarter.
Trevor Harris gets knocked around here for putting up around 200-250 yards per game in his last 6 games.

The Argos seem to have difficulty burying teams when they get a lead, they looked unstoppable in the first then started to go cold.

AngeloV
07-03-2016, 08:19 PM

I don't get this. You and I were on the same page on Harris after the season, and now it was a mistake to get rid of him?

AngeloV
07-03-2016, 08:21 PM
The Argos seem to have difficulty burying teams when they get a lead, they looked unstoppable in the first then started to go cold.

I see it differently. The only thing the Argos could have done to lose that game after the fast start was turnover the ball. They played conservative in a stadium where you don't want the fans to get into it. Good game IMO.

R.J
07-03-2016, 08:31 PM
It always seems to be one or the other since Milanovich came to town. Either we get off to a good start and barely manage to win the game or we start off cold and then the offense wakes up in the 2 half out of desperation.

I don't get this. You and I were on the same page on Harris after the season, and now it was a mistake to get rid of him?
And we still are. I wasn't impressed with what I saw from Harris last season, but he has come out on fire so far this season (not that I'm saying he's the answer). In saying that; I don't understand how someone could say Ray had a good game. Great 1st quarter, and pretty much little else IMO. We were lucky to win and lucky that it was against the Riders - A team early in rebuild mode.

AngeloV
07-03-2016, 08:33 PM
And we still are. I wasn't impressed with what I saw from Harris last season, but he has come out on fire so far this season (not that I'm saying he's the answer). In saying that; I don't understand how someone could say Ray had a good game. Great 1st quarter, and pretty much little else IMO. We were lucky to win and lucky that it was against the Riders - A team early in rebuild mode.

The game was never in doubt, so I have no idea how you can call it a lucky win. At what point were the Argos in danger of losing their lead? I don't know what you want. I don't expect the Argos to win by 40 points.

R.J
07-03-2016, 08:39 PM
The game was never in doubt, so I have no idea how you can call it a lucky win. At what point were the Argos in danger of losing their lead? I don't know what you want. I don't expect the Argos to win by 40 points.
So the Riders bumbling two 3rd and 1's had nothing to do with the win ?
14 points in the 1st, 7 in the 2nd, 3 in the 3rd and 6 in the 4th. Lirim and the Riders mistakes won us the game. I've never liked the saying "a win is a win"; I want to see our team actually beat someone.

AngeloV
07-03-2016, 08:42 PM
So the Riders bumbling two 3rd and 1's had nothing to do with the win ?
14 points in the 1st, 7 in the 2nd, 3 in the 3rd and 6 in the 4th. Lirim and the Riders mistakes won us the game. I've never liked the saying "a win is a win"; I want to see our team actually beat someone.

I'll ask you again, When were the Argos ever in jeopardy of losing their lead?

R.J
07-03-2016, 08:49 PM
I'll ask you again, When were the Argos ever in jeopardy of losing their lead?
No, but that's because the Riders aren't a very good team right now. We should've and did win the game, but let's not pretend that the Argonauts played well. Okay at best IMO and sorry, but that's not good enough for me.
I'm tired of seeing this team being "just good enough" under Milanovich.

Argo57
07-03-2016, 08:52 PM
It always seems to be one or the other since Milanovich came to town. Either we get off to a good start and barely manage to win the game or we start off cold and then the offense wakes up in the 2 half out of desperation.

I was more concerned when Collaros left town TBH.
However one thing to keep in mind regarding Harris is 2015 was only his first full season as a starter, I'm sure he learned a lot during the process to which the RedBlacks will now be the benefactor.

R.J
07-03-2016, 08:56 PM
I was more concerned when Collaros left town TBH.
However one thing to keep in mind regarding Harris is 2015 was only his first full season as a starter, I'm sure he learned a lot during the process to which the RedBlacks will now be the benefactor.
So was/am I. IMO the Argonauts made a massive mistake letting Collaros go, but it's been brought up so many times and it doesn't look like he's ever coming back, so it is what it is.

Argo57
07-03-2016, 09:02 PM
So was/am I. IMO the Argonauts made a massive mistake letting Collaros go, but it's been brought up so many times and it doesn't look like he's ever coming back, so it is what it is.

No he's not, life goes on.
The shit part regarding Harris is the valuable lessons he learned last year with the Argonauts will now benefit Ottawa.

AngeloV
07-03-2016, 10:41 PM
No, but that's because the Riders aren't a very good team right now. We should've and did win the game, but let's not pretend that the Argonauts played well. Okay at best IMO and sorry, but that's not good enough for me.
I'm tired of seeing this team being "just good enough" under Milanovich.

I guess you're just one of those hard to please people.

Look at the scores of Edmonton games post labour day last year. They were "just good enough" to win the majority of those games including close games against Saskatchewan, Winnipeg and twice against what many considered a not very strong BC team.

1argoholic
07-04-2016, 07:16 AM
I too get frustrated with the fact that we just hang on or come on late after slow starts but I never once felt like we were going to lose after that first quarter.

I am happy that we finally seem to have a Milanovich team that doesn't get nailed with stupid penalty after stupid penalty. That should be good for a win or two this year. You can't continually have drives stalled by massive mistakes.

I think that all the talk about Harris and Collaros gets us nowhere. They are both zero to me at this point. I think if brought along properly Fajardo could be better then both. The guy for starters won four state championships in high school and his college numbers are outstanding. He's a big guy who can also run like the wind. Plus he seemed to do very well academically which is a huge bonus having a smart qb. We need to have a few blowout wins so Kilgore and Fajardo see some action.

Will
07-04-2016, 08:21 AM
I think what SnowRogue is saying, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that he wants more blowouts?

Scooter McCray
07-04-2016, 09:56 AM
I would love to see the Argos dominate and blow out some teams but looking around the league there seems to be a ton of parity. I don't think there are any really bad teams unless injuries begin to develop. I think most games will be in doubt we'll into the 4th quarter. Ottawa didn't blow out Montreal. Had they played a better first half they might have. In Regina with their crowd the Argos played a solid road game; good defence and special teams and a ball secure offence capitalizing on mistakes.

AngeloV
07-04-2016, 10:47 AM
I would love to see the Argos dominate and blow out some teams but looking around the league there seems to be a ton of parity. I don't think there are any really bad teams unless injuries begin to develop. I think most games will be in doubt we'll into the 4th quarter. Ottawa didn't blow out Montreal. Had they played a better first half they might have. In Regina with their crowd the Argos played a solid road game; good defence and special teams and a ball secure offence capitalizing on mistakes.

Exactly the way I saw it. Zero turnovers results in wins almost all the time.

ArgoZ
07-04-2016, 10:53 AM
If the receivers make most of those dropped balls, the Argos put more points on the board. Add that to Raymond's dropped pick 6 and it's a blowout. The team never gave up the lead, had chances to extend it, but failed due to bad play. Can't blame that on the coaches. The play it safe style was appropriate with the lead on the road. Even so, I too would like to see a little more exciting offence when the team returns home.

mchesher03
07-04-2016, 12:42 PM
ill wade in here - never saw the game as being in doubt from my view. Think the argos played a strong road game. LOVED the double pump TD to Hazelton that really took the wind out of the Riders sails. I may have said earlier, they basically did to the Riders what the Ticats did to us a week earlier in terms of playing a strong road game.

R.J
07-04-2016, 12:55 PM
I think that all the talk about Harris and Collaros gets us nowhere. They are both zero to me at this point. I think if brought along properly Fajardo could be better then both. The guy for starters won four state championships in high school and his college numbers are outstanding. He's a big guy who can also run like the wind. Plus he seemed to do very well academically which is a huge bonus having a smart qb. We need to have a few blowout wins so Kilgore and Fajardo see some action.
I know you love Fajardo and all, but I don't think he'll be better than Collaros.

I think what SnowRogue is saying, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that he wants more blowouts?
To a degree yes. While I would like to see just one blowout win under Milanovich; the bigger issue is the lack of aggressiveness (Does Milanovich even know how to be aggressive when it's not out of desperation ?). Milanovich is way to comfortable with just squeaking by with a win IMO. Why not be aggressive, try and bury teams, dominate all three facets of the game ?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not crazy about plain white bread. Sometimes I like it toasted with some butter and meat, sometimes I like it grilled with cheese, etc.

Exactly the way I saw it. Zero turnovers results in wins almost all the time.
Yes, winning the turnover battle usually means a win, but IMO Ray having zero turnovers doesn't equal a good game. For me personally the bar is way to low if that's what equals a good game.

Argo
07-04-2016, 01:12 PM
Ray played well ?

Yep, after watching the entire game, Ray did play well IMO, and I'm happy to see that, particularly after the Argos managed to part ways with both Collaros and Harris (although, obviously, it takes two to tango).

To continue, albeit tangentially, I was impressed by Harris last season: his first year as a starting QB. The fact that he - along with the rest of the team went into a late-season funk (that Milanovich had no remedy for) - received the worse-than-useless exclamation point of the Harris demotion.

With another good receiving corps, adequate protection, good mobility and touch, Harris continues to do what he does best: throw touchdown passes.

AngeloV
07-04-2016, 01:30 PM
With another good receiving corps, adequate protection, good mobility and touch, Harris continues to do what he does best: throw touchdown passes.

He was also best at throwing interceptions last year...a league leading 19.

Hey, I like Harris. Good #2 IMO, and a good guy. So far he's played mistake free football, which is great on him. Let's see how he handles a game where things don't go his way. I think he gets rattled easily when he turns over the ball, but we'll see. IMO, he is no Collaros.

R.J
07-04-2016, 01:36 PM

Hey, I like Harris. Good #2 IMO, and a good guy. So far he's played mistake free football, which is great on him. Let's see how he handles a game where things don't go his way. I think he gets rattled easily when he turns over the ball, but we'll see. IMO, he is no Collaros.
For me it wasn't so much the 19 picks, but when, how and where the picks were thrown. Harris seemed easily goaded into throwing picks on out routes or corners and as you pointed out - when things weren't going his way he started to fold. He ain't no Collaros, but if he can fix those issues; I may have to admit that I was wrong about him.

argotom
07-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Also AT, in addition to Ravi's fine assessment, for the second game in a row, the Argos are avoiding both drive killing/drive extending bad penalties.

Thank you guys for the summary.

Argo57
07-04-2016, 07:16 PM

Yes, rattled easily for a first year starter in the CFL, Ottawa will (is) benefitting from his Argonaut apprenticeship.

argotom
07-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Yes, rattled easily for a first year starter in the CFL, Ottawa will (is) benefitting from his Argonaut apprenticeship.

It's interesting though how two years in a row now our former blue chippers are having breakout years for their new teams? Granted how we are very early into this year.

paulwoods13
07-06-2016, 07:31 AM
I've now been able to watch the game. Very solid performance that could have been a blowout. We dropped not one but two potential pick-sixes (altho I believe we scored anyway shortly after the first one). Also dropped half a dozen catchable passes. Ricky's arm strength looks fine to me. Taylor was a good pickup, and our special teams looked a lot better. Great game for Greenwood.

The white helmets look excellent with the white jerseys and blue pants. The bigger helmet logos are nice, but positioned too far back on some helmets. Still wish we had Cambridge socks to break up the pyjama effect.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8