PDA

View Full Version : Big news in the NHL today

R.J
06-29-2016, 04:30 PM
According to Bob McKenzie - Stamkos will stay in Tampa on a reported 8 year $8.5 million per contract.
The Oilers traded Taylor Hall to the New Jersey Devils for Defenceman Adam Larsson.
Montreal Canadiens trade P.K Subban to the Nashville Predators for Shea Weber.

Stamkos staying in Tampa makes sense, and on the surface Larsson for Hall looks like a good deal to me, but Weber for Subban is nuts IMO. Poile just traded one of the top 3 defencemen in the league for P.K.Subban ? I know a lot of people think that Subban is entertaining and I'm sure Canadiens fans probably aren't too happy, but Subban is a defensive liabilty. Yeah, he can score, but he can also lose you games. Weber on the other hand is a shut down defensemen, who scores goals with his killer shot, is a respected leader, very smart with the puck and has been top notch in the playoffs. Am I the only one who thinks Nashville made a big mistake here ?

Argo57
06-29-2016, 08:37 PM
According to Bob McKenzie - Stamkos will stay in Tampa on a reported 8 year $8.5 million per contract.
The Oilers traded Taylor Hall to the New Jersey Devils for Defenceman Adam Larsson.
Montreal Canadiens trade P.K Subban to the Nashville Predators for Shea Weber.

Stamkos staying in Tampa makes sense, and on the surface Larsson for Hall looks like a good deal to me, but Weber for Subban is nuts IMO. Poile just traded one of the top 3 defencemen in the league for P.K.Subban ? I know a lot of people think that Subban is entertaining and I'm sure Canadiens fans probably aren't too happy, but Subban is a defensive liabilty. Yeah, he can score, but he can also lose you games. Weber on the other hand is a shut down defensemen, who scores goals with his killer shot, is a respected leader, very smart with the puck and has been top notch in the playoffs. Am I the only one who thinks Nashville made a big mistake here ?

Oilers didn't get enough for Hall.
Good trade for Montreal.
Stamkos could have got more in free agency.
In many ways I'm glad Stamkos didn't sign in Toronto, I think they need to stay the course by continuing to build through the draft and possibly go after a big free agent type (Tavares) in a couple of years when they have developed a better supporting cast.

AngeloV
06-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Time will tell. Nashville is a better all around team than Montreal, so it is possible Subban looks better in Nashville and Weber not quite as good in Montreal. Really, Weber also played with much better defence partners in (Jossi) Nashville than he will in Montreal. If he plays with slow as hell Andre Markov, he may end up looking not as good as Subban.

AngeloV
06-29-2016, 08:41 PM
In many ways I'm glad Stamkos didn't sign in Toronto, I think they need to stay the course by continuing to build through the draft and possibly go after a big free agent type (Tavares) in a couple of years when they have developed a better supporting cast.

Assuming of course Tavaras goes to free agency. I don't see it happening either.

Argo57
06-29-2016, 09:37 PM
Assuming of course Tavaras goes to free agency. I don't see it happening either.

Who knows, point being signing a big cash superstar at this point makes little sense for the Leafs, build a solid foundation through the draft then add the finishing pieces (if necessary).

Johno27
06-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Who knows, point being signing a big cash superstar at this point makes little sense for the Leafs, build a solid foundation through the draft then add the finishing pieces (if necessary).

I agree. I believe the Leafs would be far better served targeting a stud defenseman (via the draft) and building up their overall depth on defense with some high picks over the next few years. So far, they've done an admirable job of stocking young, skilled forwards and have acquired their best goaltending prospect in years (Andersen). I hope they stay the course and resist the temptation to make a big splash by signing a high-profile free agent (Tavares) whose contract demands would likely make it difficult, if not impossible, to satisfy the future salary requirements needed to keep together a good young team on the rise.

R.J
06-30-2016, 12:01 AM
Oilers didn't get enough for Hall.
Good trade for Montreal.
Stamkos could have got more in free agency.
I agree, the Oilers didn't get enough for Hall, but I think part of the problem is that the other teams gm's know that the Oilers need D, so they have the upper hand. IMO Chiarelli is a terrible GM; Yes, he was Bryan Murray's number 2 (another overrated GM IMO - good coach though), but in Boston he screwed up the team within a couple of years. Now in Edmonton and aside from getting lucky with McJesus; what exactly has he done ? Larsson could turn out to be a solid top 4 guy......... eventually.

Good trade for Montreal, but unless Weber is slowing down; I don't see why Poile would have made this trade. It's makes a lot of sense for Bergevin and the Canadiens though.

I think the Leafs and Leaf fans need to stop thinking that home grown boys will come home when they hit free agency and focus on building the team with youth and minor tweaks here and there via trades and free agency. IMO there's no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on free agents. Matthews is a very good player for the team to build around (IMO he's to McDavid what Toews is to Crosby) and IMO they (the Leafs) need a Brandon Sutter/Ryan Kesler type to be the number 2.

AngeloV
06-30-2016, 12:39 AM

I would have had no problem adding a 26 year old star without having to give up anything from your foundation. It would not have slowed down the process at all. Maybe now Tampa will not be able to afford Hedman next year.

Argo57
06-30-2016, 06:31 AM
I would have had no problem adding a 26 year old star without having to give up anything from your foundation. It would not have slowed down the process at all. Maybe now Tampa will not be able to afford Hedman next year.

Yes and a few years down the road you'd be trading some of your other core players for cap reasons.
Who mentioned that it would slow the process?
To me a signing like this would be a couple of years too early, perhaps Stamkos looked at the Leafs roster and the development stage they are at and said no thanks.
It also could be possible that the Leafs were only mildly interested for future cap reasons as well.

1argoholic
06-30-2016, 07:07 AM
Jersey did very well getting Hall.

I like PK and Nashville won that trade. They got tons of talent and a younger player. How long before PK puts out a country album?

Leafs will have their own super star, they don't need Stamkos.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Time will tell. Nashville is a better all around team than Montreal, so it is possible Subban looks better in Nashville and Weber not quite as good in Montreal. Really, Weber also played with much better defence partners in (Jossi) Nashville than he will in Montreal. If he plays with slow as hell Andre Markov, he may end up looking not as good as Subban.

Good points, AV. I personally can't understand the deal from Montreal's perspective. Subban is only entering the prime years of his career while Weber is likely heading into the downside of his. The sky is the limit as far as Subban's potential goes as well. Financially, the deal doesn't really benefit Montreal either. I suspect that this will be a deal that Canadiens fans point to as a bad one for decades to come.

Argo57
06-30-2016, 01:00 PM
I agree, the Oilers didn't get enough for Hall, but I think part of the problem is that the other teams gm's know that the Oilers need D, so they have the upper hand. IMO Chiarelli is a terrible GM; Yes, he was Bryan Murray's number 2 (another overrated GM IMO - good coach though), but in Boston he screwed up the team within a couple of years. Now in Edmonton and aside from getting lucky with McJesus; what exactly has he done ? Larsson could turn out to be a solid top 4 guy......... eventually.

Good trade for Montreal, but unless Weber is slowing down; I don't see why Poile would have made this trade. It's makes a lot of sense for Bergevin and the Canadiens though.

I think the Leafs and Leaf fans need to stop thinking that home grown boys will come home when they hit free agency and focus on building the team with youth and minor tweaks here and there via trades and free agency. IMO there's no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on free agents. Matthews is a very good player for the team to build around (IMO he's to McDavid what Toews is to Crosby) and IMO they (the Leafs) need a Brandon Sutter/Ryan Kesler type to be the number 2.

Chiarelli's reputation was cemented by one idiotic phone call by then Leafs GM Brian Burke.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8