PDA

View Full Version : If we go DL in the first round who do you want?

KCargosfan
04-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Lots of talk about WR, but what about DL?

Do we roll the dice on Bilukidi and hope he doesn't make it out of an NFL training camp ala Shawn Gore? If so he probably wouldn't be able to help until late September at the earliest.

SF's Capaciotti? Acadia's Jake Thomas? Eastern Michigan's Jabar Westerman? Arnaud Gascon-Nadon?

Duane Ford's article: http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=392356

RoRoYoBoat
04-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Bilukidi is a NCAA Junior. you would not see him in the CFL until 2013 at the earlyest.

argolio
04-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Bilukidi is a NCAA Junior. you would not see him in the CFL until 2013 at the earlyest.He's listed as a senior on the Georgia State site.

ArgoRavi
04-07-2012, 04:28 PM
I apologize for steering this a little off-topic but it is amazing how deep this league is now in Canadian kickers, as mentioned in that article. Less than a decade ago, it was slim pickings if you needed a Canadian kicker. Today, you not only can have a good starting Canadian doing the placekicking and punting but you can and should have a solid backup around as well. Hopefully the Argos bring in a promising, young Canadian kicker to be mentored by Prefontaine for a year or two but they probably won't even have to draft one as there should be some good undrafted free agent kickers available.

KCargosfan
04-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Bilukidi is a NCAA Junior. you would not see him in the CFL until 2013 at the earlyest.

Nah, he just finished up his senior year and is being looked at by the NFL as a 6th or 7th round pick or a FA signing.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/4/1/2919302/bengals-schedule-work-out-with-georgia-state-defensive-lineman

http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/christo-bilukidi-53/

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=94733&draftyear=2012&genpos=DT

RoRoYoBoat
04-07-2012, 07:17 PM
oops, sorry about that.

OV Argo
04-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Are you talking go DT or DE; cause obviously there's a big difference - though maybe the Argos have need at both (to maybe replace Woten, or, Flemons, or at least come in as good depth guys).

IF - the Argos would think of playing a NI as a starting DT - they already have Alexandre, and it might be a good idea to add another for competition and maybe the 2 of them could play in a platoon? Bilukidi might be the best DT this draft, but I'd be quite leery with a first rounder in case he makes the NFL; a few other good DT this draft maybe - one of Thomas, Van Praaet, Westerman or Postuma; and add another DE? - a position that NIs rarely get to play in the CFL now? (Foley and the retired Brent Johnson some fairly rare exceptions lately); plus the Argo have Robinson from last year's draft AND they signed former BC draft pick Jon Pierre-Etienne (good DE at U Montreal - could be a big surprise if given a thorough look IMO); Gascon-Nadon, Capicciotti and Pall all sound like pretty good rush end types; but unless the Argos were open-minded enough to think they might start 2 NIs at DE (snow-ball's chance in hell IMO), and that means bring in lots of top prospects for comepetition - it might be better to address other positions via the draft and hope Pierre-Etienne and Robinson are good depth.

SO - DT might be the better way to go, BUT - not sure it's worth a first rounder (actually 9th overall is the Argos first pick this draft?); rather see them use that pick on either a receiver or an O-Lineman; and then i think they could still get one of those DTs i mentioned at #24 or #28.

RoRoYoBoat
04-07-2012, 07:37 PM
When you look at needs right now. I think we could use a big fullback, a DB and a defensive end.

KCargosfan
04-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Has anyone ever played an all-Canadian defensive line?

j-ski
04-07-2012, 08:40 PM
The BC Lions won the 1994 Grey Cup with all Canadian defensive line (Chaytors, Petersen and Stewart) in a 3-4 defense.

OV Argo
04-07-2012, 09:12 PM
The Stamps D on some powerhouse teams circa early 90s (including 92 GC Champs i think) went with a 3/4s Canadian D-Line: guys like Stu Laird, Kent Warnock, Zizakovic, Hasslebach (along with star import DE Will Johnson i think it was).

Love that BC example - in a GC game where Baltimore supposedly had such a huge advantage with their - big and all Americans O-Line, that got man-handled for good parts of the game by the BC all NI D-Line (coming out party for Doug Petersen who went on to be a top notch CFL DT with the Als and Esks later).

Times have changed and the CFL is often a quite trendy league - at one period (late 80s into early 90s maybe?) - pretty well all CFL O-lines were mostly NIs; now the trend is to employ mostly imports at OT; and the current trends sees a lot of CFL good ole bo ... er, "thinkers" want to load up their Ds with mostly imports; and this has been aided by a "radical" CFL that made changes to allow more imports on rosters.

marcwagz
04-07-2012, 09:17 PM
we don't have a first round pick...

OV Argo
04-07-2012, 09:43 PM
we don't have a first round pick...

9th overall = close enough i guess

Argocister
04-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Upon reading Duane Fordes latest on "draftology" the Argos could go for a DL for their first pick #9
if they do picking one that could be ready to back up for Foley would be ideal, so probably Cappaciotti or Thomas would be best. some of the others may be more athletic and have a higher draft rating but probably won't be in the CFL for a few years.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=392518

OV Argo
04-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Upon reading Duane Fordes latest on "draftology" the Argos could go for a DL for their first pick #9
if they do picking one that could be ready to back up for Foley would be ideal, so probably Cappaciotti or Thomas would be best. some of the others may be more athletic and have a higher draft rating but probably won't be in the CFL for a few years.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=392518

Again - and IMO only - the distinction has to be made between DTs and DEs; rather than thinking a generic NI D-Lineman; Capicciotti is a fair sized rush end type but very doubtful he could line-up at DT in the CFL; Thomas is an under-sized but athletic DT (you hear the term 3 technique applied at times i believe?); Van Praeet and Postuma are both CIS all-star DTs over 300 lbs = easily good sized CFL DTs.

Argocister
04-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Again - and IMO only - the distinction has to be made between DTs and DEs; rather than thinking a generic NI D-Lineman; Capicciotti is a fair sized rush end type but very doubtful he could line-up at DT in the CFL; Thomas is an under-sized but athletic DT (you hear the term 3 technique applied at times i believe?); Van Praeet and Postuma are both CIS all-star DTs over 300 lbs = easily good sized CFL DTs.

So then you feel we should draft a DT rather than a DE? ?... Like Van Praeet or Postuma
And sorry, I am not familiar with the term 3 technique

OV Argo
04-08-2012, 01:58 PM
So then you feel we should draft a DT rather than a DE? ?... Like Van Praeet or Postuma
And sorry, I am not familiar with the term 3 technique

I was trying to point out that it makes more sense to be more specific when talking drafting a "D-Lineman" - either a DT or a DE.

And not sure what the Argos plans are for the D-Line; but they already have Foley as a starting NI DE, plus Robinson and Pierre-Etienne as other NI DEs; and only Alexandre around as a NI DT (?); wether any of the those NIs or a draft pick might get a real shot at some playing time, i don't know; but if DT is a bigger area of concern (though I'm one who'd like to think both Huntley and Wroten could still put together very good seasons as the 2 DTs), it might make more sense to draft a DT for depth and TC competition - and maybe one DT spot could be manned by a NI ? (a platoon of Alexandre and a draft pick maybe); very doubtful IMO that the team plays 2 NIs at DE - so why bother drafting another one just to be in a log-jam as back-ups / maybe special teamers?

But this draft class seems to have a good crop of both DEs and DTs - so enough choices I guess.

3 technique for DTs refers to one who lines up in the gap between the OT and the guard, and who is usually shooting that gap to try to get into the backfield and make plays; usually a smaller, more athletic DT as opposed to a bigger DT or nose tackle who is more playing over an O-Lineman and taking them on or tying them up to allow other defenders to make plays - that's my basic understanding anyhow. I think Thomas (smaller but athletic type DT - still had a very strong bench # at the E-Camp) or Van Praaet (300 pounder DT who led the E-Camp with a very strong bench #) could both be good picks.

Argocister
04-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanx for the explanation.
When reading Fordes article and this thread I checked over the roster. I missed Pierre-Etienne completely. I remembered seeing Robinson playing special teams but couldn't remember where he played on the Defensive line, and that's all he is listed as DL. So playing GM ( which I have no knowledge of at all ) I thought , we could use a DE for depth behind Foley. But Robinson is playing well, so maybe we don't want a DE.....

Now, reading this in the star article
"We even have a defensive coordinator, who is going to be a bigger risk-taker and play a more exciting kind of defence."
Are there any defensive players in the draft that would fit Chris Jones kind of defense?

KCargosfan
04-09-2012, 12:44 AM
I was trying to point out that it makes more sense to be more specific when talking drafting a "D-Lineman" - either a DT or a DE.

And not sure what the Argos plans are for the D-Line; but they already have Foley as a starting NI DE, plus Robinson and Pierre-Etienne as other NI DEs; and only Alexandre around as a NI DT (?); wether any of the those NIs or a draft pick might get a real shot at some playing time, i don't know; but if DT is a bigger area of concern (though I'm one who'd like to think both Huntley and Wroten could still put together very good seasons as the 2 DTs), it might make more sense to draft a DT for depth and TC competition - and maybe one DT spot could be manned by a NI ? (a platoon of Alexandre and a draft pick maybe); very doubtful IMO that the team plays 2 NIs at DE - so why bother drafting another one just to be in a log-jam as back-ups / maybe special teamers?

Agreed, it would make more sense for us to go DT.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8