07-02-2016, 06:32 PM
several reports that barker has acquired Lemon from riders

Qman
07-02-2016, 06:34 PM
his deal was front loaded, so he's base salary is very cap friendly

Qman
07-02-2016, 06:36 PM
ouch ... not a great deal

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Riders?src=hash">#Riders</a> get Cdn OL Matt Sewell and int&#39;l QB Mitchell Gale from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> in exchange for DL Shawn Lemon. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/sskroughriders">@sskroughriders</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/749370647487385601">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argo57
07-02-2016, 06:45 PM
ouch ... not a great deal

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Riders?src=hash">#Riders</a> get Cdn OL Matt Sewell and int&#39;l QB Mitchell Gale from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> in exchange for DL Shawn Lemon. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/sskroughriders">@sskroughriders</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/749370647487385601">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't know about that, acquire a front line D Lineman for a 4th string QB and an O Lineman who has basically shown SFA since being drafted.
I make that trade every day of the week.

Will
07-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Don't mind paying that price.

Stevoman
07-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Does this mean McPherson comes back or do we only roll with 3 QB's?

1971GreyCup
07-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Mitch Gale was put on Injury List from Practice Roster after it was clear to Jones that Durant had no backup QBs. Mitch played well here when he played and Jones is very familiar with him. Winnipeg was another possible stop for him after Argos brought him back in Training Camp.

Wobbler
07-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Does this mean McPherson comes back or do we only roll with 3 QB's?
I'd say McPherson is coming back.

Also, it looks like Paul was right about Sask making a bid for Gale while he was on our PR last week.

OV Argo
07-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Getting a starting DE (who had a monster season just a couple of years back with the Stamps) for 2 players who would never start with these Argos = have to think that makes lots of sense. Not impressed by Hickman so far or much at all since he came back from the NFL; didn't Lemon have his huge year with Stubler in charge of the Stamps' D ? - could be an instant upgrade for the pass rush. Lemon seems like a bit of a mouth- piece ego-head from some of what I read in his signing with the Riders though - that has to be checked at the door.

R.J
07-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Good deal IMO. Lemon is an upgrade over Hickman at this point and his salary after the signing bonus is good money for the team. Sewell was not progressing and Gale performed well in the pre season game, but I think it was pretty clear last year that Milanovich and Co. think more highly of Kilgore and Fajardo.

Wobbler
07-02-2016, 08:01 PM
We get a conditional (2018) draft pick in the deal too. I agree with the consensus - nice trade.

R.J
07-02-2016, 08:14 PM
I wonder............ could the Riders have tried to pluck Gale off our PR; which then lead to the Argonauts placing him on the 1 game IR; thus leading to this trade ?
I think the odds are pretty good.

1argoholic
07-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Oh this is a very good deal. Hope this Lemon is better then our last in Cleo. Argos like the citrus as that's at least two Lemon's and we also had rb Doyle Orange back in the day. Orange was great.

KCargosfan
07-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Thumbs up sign to this deal.

gilthethrill
07-02-2016, 09:15 PM
I'd say McPherson is coming back.

Also, it looks like Paul was right about Sask making a bid for Gale while he was on our PR last week.

I wonder why Jones cut Brett Smith, who played pretty well last season. I would rate him higher than Gale. Maybe Smith comes back to the Argos (he spent time on the PR in 2014). Lemon should resume his torrid sack pace that he had the past two years. Hope Hickman still has a roster spot. Good trade for the Argos.

R.J
07-02-2016, 09:28 PM
I wonder why Jones cut Brett Smith, who played pretty well last season. I would rate him higher than Gale. Maybe Smith comes back to the Argos (he spent time on the PR in 2014). Lemon should resume his torrid sack pace that he had the past two years. Hope Hickman still has a roster spot. Good trade for the Argos.
Smith is a pure sandlot throwing QB. The problem that occurred in Saskatchewan = he was changing the plays in the huddle, and McAdoo / Jones were none too happy about it. Smith IMO has a crappy arm and even worse mechanics = no thank you to him.

ArgoRavi
07-02-2016, 11:32 PM
This is one of those deals where I don't see what the Argos have to lose. Sewell was never going to develop as a starter in Toronto while Gale could have been picked up as a free agent by Jones a few weeks back. Lemon could be an impact player and the beauty of it is that a large chunk of his salary this season has already been paid by the Riders. An excellent move by Barker.

Regarding Sewell, it is disappointing that he never could fulfil his potential in Toronto. This year's training camp was supposed to be "make or break" for Sewell and it appears that he did the latter rather than the former.

Argocister
07-03-2016, 12:25 AM
I like the deal ..... With Bulke and Waud on the 6 game it looked a bit thin on the d line .
Plus, Lemon plays well and for winning teams ..... Okay the redblacks didn't win the cup but came close but the Stamps won their grey cup with him . .....plus we get an extra pick in a couple of years

I think you all are right wrt Gale being taken off the PR and put on the IR..... I wonder if he had flown out with the team to Sask.? My bets are that Sewell retires in the next while ..... I can't recall but I think he had a steady job around this area .

paulwoods13
07-03-2016, 01:54 AM
Obviously the coaches have decided that Campbell is ready to dress as a backup O-lineman. Sewell was clearly never going to develop altho I can't wait to read all the glowing comments about him on riderfans. Gale's story is interesting -- he said he worked out for about six CFL teams this off-season, yet no one invited him to camp until we did late. Now he's worth giving up a couple of assets for. Jones's reputation as a great talent recruiter is taking a pounding this year.

ArgoGabe22
07-03-2016, 03:48 AM
It's definitely worth the risk, and i'm still not sold on Hickman. Gave up two players who had next to zero chance at starting. I just hope Lemon is committed and doesn't want to be released in the offseason to pursue the NFL, only to sign with another CFL afterwards. I hope he has a chip on his shoulder like Hall.

At this rate Lemon will surpass Kevin Glenn on the amount of teams he's been on.

OV Argo
07-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Obviously the coaches have decided that Campbell is ready to dress as a backup O-lineman. Sewell was clearly never going to develop altho I can't wait to read all the glowing comments about him on riderfans. Gale's story is interesting -- he said he worked out for about six CFL teams this off-season, yet no one invited him to camp until we did late. Now he's worth giving up a couple of assets for. Jones's reputation as a great talent recruiter is taking a pounding this year.

He, he, he - amused by the comments of some riderfans are we ?

:shhhh::p

You'd think Jones & Murphy would have installed an all-time CFL all-star team in Riderland by now - those 2 inscrutable football geniuses. ;o)

Jones kicks all-time Rider greats (who can still play at a high level IMO) in Chick & Dressler out of town because they were oh so expensive (tried to renegotiate my @$$) - just had to be done (so ego-Jones could show the previous regime knew nothing and he's so much smarter); then goes on to blow buck$ on an over-rated Mo Price, and now Lemon; and they have signed a whole whack of other CFL team's cast-offs & rejects - a practice previously scoffed at by some, but now quite sensible and defensible. And master talent evaluator on defence Jones has a former tight end starting for him at DE (wayyy better than Lemon, or at least taller), and a former receiver (tall and great long-jumper though = what an "athlete") starting at one of his 7 only need apply NI positions - safety. Good thing they signed Matt Walter though - "national depth" is oh so important - didn't see Walter play a snap on offence for them in the first game. Maybe Sewell can be key bench warming NI depth for them too, along with Shane Hebert and their draft picks. ;o)

Be interesting to see how the Riders progress this season; may take some time to gel - if they do at all. Jones has tons or rope there I bet though - coming in with lots of winning on his resume and after the Riders were league worst last year.

DanoT
07-03-2016, 02:44 PM
This is a pretty good trade for the Riders as Lemon had dropped to 3rd on the depth chart for INT DEs. They get back 2 guys from the Argos to fill the Riders most pressing need: lack of CFL experienced depth on O line and at backup QB. So it is one back up Rider for 2 back up Argos plus a conditional Argo 2018 draft pick.

Jones giving Lemon a reported 85k advance up front may have been a rookie GM mistake, but it made Lemon far more trade-able and Lemon, shortly after he signed with the Riders in Feb., helped convince Capicotti to sign as well. The above trade looks like a veteran GM recovery.

Wobbler
07-03-2016, 03:17 PM
It may have been a good trade for both teams. We'll find out in the next few weeks whether Lemon should have been a starter for the Riders, and in the next year or so we'll see whether Toronto gave up on Sewell too soon. Perhaps Gale makes a contribution, and maybe the 2018 pick turns out to be a useful player.

At the moment it looks like Toronto acquired a good starting DE and a pick in exchange for a QB we cut twice and a NAT "tackle" who hasn't been able to crack our average to below-average OL.

ArgoGabe22
07-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Lemon didn't feel comfortable dropping into coverage, just like what Foley publically criticized in 2012. That is apparently the reason why he was 3rd on the depth chart. Lemon then said he'd rather be playing elsewhere. I'm confident under Stubler, Lemon can go back to being a top DE.

gilthethrill
07-03-2016, 04:41 PM
This is a pretty good trade for the Riders as Lemon had dropped to 3rd on the depth chart for INT DEs. They get back 2 guys from the Argos to fill the Riders most pressing need: lack of CFL experienced depth on O line and at backup QB. So it is one back up Rider for 2 back up Argos plus a conditional Argo 2018 draft pick.

Jones giving Lemon a reported 85k advance up front may have been a rookie GM mistake, but it made Lemon far more trade-able and Lemon, shortly after he signed with the Riders in Feb., helped convince Capicotti to sign as well. The above trade looks like a veteran GM recovery.

Good trade for the Riders? The fact Lemon was #3 on their depth chart is a poor reflection on their management. Argos gave up two spare parts for an All Star DE. Don't expect Sewell or Gale to really contribute in the Prairies.

KCargosfan
07-03-2016, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the press release from Riders headquarters.

ArgoZ
07-03-2016, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the press release from Riders headquarters.

LOL! Holy spin job. The 85k makes him more trade-able? Coincidently, yes, but it's not like paying it was a good thing and the plan all along.

Lemon's picture and jerseys are all over Regina. He was thought of as their guaranteed defensive star this year. The Argonauts got him for cheap and gave up two guys that may not even be on this team come Labour Day.

R.J
07-03-2016, 07:43 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/SLemonator">@SLemonator</a> in Double Blue!👌👌<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NewBeginnings?src=hash">#NewBeginnings</a> <br>📸 <a href="https://twitter.com/johanyjutras">@johanyjutras</a> <a href="https://t.co/gdpy36GG0n">pic.twitter.com/gdpy36GG0n</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/749742714233638913">July 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Back in that 40 😜 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Lemondrops?src=hash">#Lemondrops</a> <a href="https://t.co/MQcOfeYqml">pic.twitter.com/MQcOfeYqml</a></p>&mdash; Shawn Lemon (@SLemonator) <a href="https://twitter.com/SLemonator/status/749724668270039040">July 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
07-04-2016, 12:37 AM
DanoT, I'm sorry that we "piled on". It would be great to hear more about Sewell and Gale in the future.

1argoholic
07-04-2016, 07:18 AM
Well Lemon looks happy.

mchesher03
07-04-2016, 09:54 AM
i've enjoyed reading the homer rider media saying they won this trade. Jones got rooked, plain and simple. As someone else has said, Sewell has not developed as Barker had hoped and Gale is a throw-in whatever is said. Pederson loved it but really, didn't Dykoski (sp) the Hamilton OLine destroy his credibility with that prank a while back?

Anyhow this was a no brainer for the Argos at least - Sewell and Gale weren't seeing the field anytime soon. Guess the same could be said for Lemon out there but I'd take Lemon over those two anyday, Sewell's passport as a National as well. Think this was a very shrewd move by Barker - not to worry Riders will just go 17-1 now lolz.

R.J
07-04-2016, 01:07 PM
I think Sewell was the throw in. Riders needed Gale.

OV Argo
07-04-2016, 01:15 PM
I think Sewell was the throw in. Riders needed Gale.

Agreed - the Riders are in panic mode if Durant goes down - and maybe they see Gale as way better than their other back-ups.

Sewell is just going to be part of ever valuable "national depth" there - joining this year's 1st rounder St John and a bunch of other NI O-linemen who are only going to see the field as interior O-linemen (i.e. not OTs) - maybe Sewell makes it as a decent to very good guard ?

Argo
07-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Nice trade Barkey!

Now how about Josey for Steele ? (To the tune of "To dream, the impossible dream".)

I hope Lemon proves to be a team player on this Argonauts squad.

AngeloV
07-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Nice trade Barkey!

Now how about Josey for Steele ? (To the tune of "To dream, the impossible dream".)

I hope Lemon proves to be a team player on this Argonauts squad.

I'm sure the Argos got a character evaluation from Stubler before pulling the trigger on this deal.

Reggiemac
07-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Good deal, now get us an effective running back.

R.J
07-04-2016, 05:58 PM
http://3downnation.com/2016/07/04/newly-acquired-riders-ol-matt-sewell-wants-play-close-home/

I wonder if this would affect the conditional pick we received.

Qman
07-04-2016, 06:20 PM
this makes more sense.
Both knew it was quite likely that sewell would not report.

i was wondering why barker offered that much for a guy one step from being released. Only reason to offer anything is jump the que in the waiver wire

Argocister
07-04-2016, 11:23 PM
The trade is a win win ..... we get a tackle that was needed when Waud and Bulke went to 6 game IR
Riders get a QB that can actually do QB sneaks .... poor Moritz
Riders get rid of Lemon .... who didn't like the Jones defence system...
and Sewell gets to retire .... and if that happens I called it !
As for the 2018 pick ..... you guys are right that it probably is dependant on Sewell playing .

ArgoFan1
07-05-2016, 01:56 AM
whew.... that's a relief. For a while I thought Cleo Lemon was coming back !!!!

KCargosfan
07-05-2016, 02:19 AM
i've enjoyed reading the homer rider media saying they won this trade. Jones got rooked, plain and simple. As someone else has said, Sewell has not developed as Barker had hoped and Gale is a throw-in whatever is said. Pederson loved it but really, didn't Dykoski (sp) the Hamilton OLine destroy his credibility with that prank a while back?

Anyhow this was a no brainer for the Argos at least - Sewell and Gale weren't seeing the field anytime soon. Guess the same could be said for Lemon out there but I'd take Lemon over those two anyday, Sewell's passport as a National as well. Think this was a very shrewd move by Barker - not to worry Riders will just go 17-1 now lolz.

No doubt. Barker absolutely put a clown suit on Jones here, and if Sewell retires, Jones looks like an even bigger fool.

paulwoods13
07-05-2016, 04:22 AM
this makes more sense.
Both knew it was quite likely that sewell would not report.

i was wondering why barker offered that much for a guy one step from being released. Only reason to offer anything is jump the que in the waiver wire

Barker did not offer much at all -- a guy out of our plans at tackle and a fourth-string QB. Not a steep price to pay to shore up an area that needs help. Relying on waivers to get a guy is very unlikely to work.

Double Dare
07-05-2016, 07:21 AM
whew.... that's a relief. For a while I thought Cleo Lemon was coming back !!!! Better known as "The Fence Post".

mchesher03
07-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Better known as "The Fence Post".

can the name Cleo Lemon never be mentioned here or anywhere ever again? It's bad enough that the Boston Pizza at Front / John has a picture of him up (still)!

ArgoGabe22
07-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Matt Sewell retired. Second traded Argo to do so when traded to Riders. Is Barker schooling Jones?

Is it due to moving out West? I heard Rider fans say Campbell retired because he didn't want to leave behind his girlfriend in Toronto.

Ron
07-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Wow ... he retired. That makes the deal closer. Argos get Lemon and the Riders get the 2019 MOP.

Scooter McCray
07-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Wow. I wonder if he had made the NFL if he would have retired if traded.

doubleblue
07-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Matt Sewell retired. Second traded Argo to do so when traded to Riders. Is Barker schooling Jones?

Is it due to moving out West? I heard Rider fans say Campbell retired because he didn't want to leave behind his girlfriend in Toronto.

Rider fans are in melt down mood after proclaiming what a great trade Jonesy made. lol I wonder if Jones is hearing Brenda Lee singing right about now.

Wobbler
07-05-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm amazed when stuff like this happens. Is there some rule that prevents a GM from communicating with a player during trade discussions to gauge his interest in continuing to play?

Argo57
07-05-2016, 09:44 PM

Somehow I wonder if playing professional football really mattered that much to Sewell.

KCargosfan
07-06-2016, 12:04 AM
Somehow I wonder if playing professional football really mattered that much to Sewell.

This.

paulwoods13
07-06-2016, 03:22 AM
I watched him closely in the preseason, at the home game and on TV. He seemed to have no instincts for football, and little to no desire to be part of the team. On the sidelines he was always hanging around on the periphery of the offensive linemen, rarely talking to anyone. Let's also remember that he asked for his release from the Titans. Add it up and I think it's a guy with the physique to play football but not the mindset required. I assume this scraps the conditional draft choice, so it becomes Lemon for Gale. If Lemon contributes anything at all, we win the trade because Gale would have played for us only in the event of multiple emergencies.

1argoholic
07-06-2016, 07:18 AM
GREAT trade by Barker!!! All I can say is hahahahahaha! Finally something goes our way. How many guys has Barker released to try the NFL and when they come back to the CFL it's to another team.

No mentioning of Cleo or Bishop. haha. Just had to. If Lemon has a bad game you know he'll be called Cleo.

So we've had two Lemons and an Orange in Argo history. Do you think Barker can find Joe Lime or Garry Grapefruit?

Will
07-06-2016, 08:14 AM
I watched him closely in the preseason, at the home game and on TV. He seemed to have no instincts for football, and little to no desire to be part of the team. On the sidelines he was always hanging around on the periphery of the offensive linemen, rarely talking to anyone. Let's also remember that he asked for his release from the Titans. Add it up and I think it's a guy with the physique to play football but not the mindset required. I assume this scraps the conditional draft choice, so it becomes Lemon for Gale. If Lemon contributes anything at all, we win the trade because Gale would have played for us only in the event of multiple emergencies.

He must've done a good job of hiding this in college, as you think it would've been a huge red flag for Barker & Co.

Argo
07-06-2016, 08:48 AM

A classic case of "addition by subtraction".

Argo
07-06-2016, 08:52 AM
GREAT trade by Barker!!! All I can say is hahahahahaha! Finally something goes our way. How many guys has Barker released to try the NFL and when they come back to the CFL it's to another team.

No mentioning of Cleo or Bishop. haha. Just had to. If Lemon has a bad game you know he'll be called Cleo.

So we've had two Lemons and an Orange in Argo history. Do you think Barker can find Joe Lime or Garry Grapefruit?

The Orange should have been an Argonaut longer.

doubleblue
07-06-2016, 09:20 AM

That happens in all contact sports IMO about guys with the physique for the game but not the mindset or desire. We've all heard the saying it is not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. But when a Canadian player the size of Sewell can't be Coached up to at least pass block at the Guard position it hurts because of the shallow pool out there. I still question the decision of throwing Sewell in at Left Tackle against John Chick his first year in the League. Were they trying to see what he was made of, or was Sewell complaining he wasn't seeing any game action. Dumb decision IMO either way, and a good way to destroy a young players confidence. More spot playing time would seem IMO to be the way to go. Nothing like real game action to help the learning curve.
These American Coaches are so used to such a big talent pool down South where they can use their "hard coaching" approach, and weed out the players who lack confidence etc. I don't know how they handled Sewell, but he could have been the type that needed building up a lot at first and not dwell on everything thing he did wrong.
I have Coached a fair bit over the years in different sports and have found some players don't respond to what the Argos call "Hard Coaching". Praise them for things they are doing well and watch them grow. Sewell strikes me as that kind of Player.

Wobbler
07-06-2016, 10:20 AM
He must've done a good job of hiding this in college, as you think it would've been a huge red flag for Barker & Co.
Well, he did slip on draft day, so there's a chance that at least some GMs were concerned about his commitment level. But that's one of many factors, and I imagine there are plenty of guys who become more engaged at the pro level when they start earning a paycheque.

ArgoGabe22
07-06-2016, 03:05 PM
I know Lemon hasn't played a snap yet but has Barjer ever made a bad trade? Traded for Ray in return for practically nothing and then traded away Emry, who had a history of concussions and was on the decline for Ricky Foley. Both were great trades.

I think Barker traded for a Stamps LB after he got the job and that didn't work out but no loss in doing so.

KCargosfan
07-06-2016, 03:36 PM
That happens in all contact sports IMO about guys with the physique for the game but not the mindset or desire. We've all heard the saying it is not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. But when a Canadian player the size of Sewell can't be Coached up to at least pass block at the Guard position it hurts because of the shallow pool out there. I still question the decision of throwing Sewell in at Left Tackle against John Chick his first year in the League. Were they trying to see what he was made of, or was Sewell complaining he wasn't seeing any game action. Dumb decision IMO either way, and a good way to destroy a young players confidence. More spot playing time would seem IMO to be the way to go. Nothing like real game action to help the learning curve.
These American Coaches are so used to such a big talent pool down South where they can use their "hard coaching" approach, and weed out the players who lack confidence etc. I don't know how they handled Sewell, but he could have been the type that needed building up a lot at first and not dwell on everything thing he did wrong.
I have Coached a fair bit over the years in different sports and have found some players don't respond to what the Argos call "Hard Coaching". Praise them for things they are doing well and watch them grow. Sewell strikes me as that kind of Player.

Great post. You can't coach athletes all the same way. Different people respond to different methods. If I had been coached by Casey Creehan, I probably would have told him to flip off.

ArgoRavi
07-06-2016, 04:38 PM
I know Lemon hasn't played a snap yet but has Barjer ever made a bad trade? Traded for Ray in return for practically nothing and then traded away Emry, who had a history of concussions and was on the decline for Ricky Foley. Both were great trades.

I think Barker traded for a Stamps LB after he got the job and that didn't work out but no loss in doing so.

That latter deal is probably the only one that didn't work out that well - Dan Federkeil for Akwasi Antwi - but, in fairness to Barker, I believe that Calgary was the only place where Federkeil was interested in playing so he didn't have a lot of leverage to make that deal.

Argo57
07-06-2016, 07:27 PM

A buddy of mine is involved with the Mac football program, he mentioned these very same points in regards to Sewell.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8