PDA

View Full Version : Everything is Challengeable

Argo
07-09-2016, 03:29 PM
The expanded play-challenge regime in the CFL can be beneficial, but there have already been a few too many resultant interruptions that introduce tedious dead time into games (not to mention completely disrupting the rhythm of the game).

Perhaps giving the unsuccessful challenger a Delay Of Game penalty would be a good idea.

Ron
07-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Good idea. Jones last night wasted good time on a 100% bogus challenge.

R.J
07-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Get rid of the challenges IMO. Mistakes are made in the NHL, MLB and NFL as well with all this expanded replay. Realistically, I do hope the "eye in the sky" eventually works and we actually can get rid of the challenges.

paulwoods13
07-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Yeah, they have created a monster by allowing coaches to challenge things that are clearly not going to be overturned, and allowing too many infractions or non-infractions to be subject to challenge. It's gonna slow games down considerably, and sooner or later some obvious but non-overturnable foul is going to be blatant on a review.

argolio
07-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Catches and fumbles are the only challenges I want to see.

If they're going to keep the current system, cut it down to one challenge. Make the coaches really think when to use it.

PullTogether73
07-09-2016, 06:00 PM
I'd like to challenge the assertion of the title of this thread that "Everything is Challengeable".
:D

Argo
07-09-2016, 06:13 PM
I'd like to challenge the assertion of the title of this thread that "Everything is Challengeable".
:D

Not an assertion; obviously rhetorical caption for a nonetheless serious posting.

Argo57
07-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Catches and fumbles are the only challenges I want to see.

If they're going to keep the current system, cut it down to one challenge. Make the coaches really think when to use it.

This is a sensible solution IMO, catches, fumbles and in or out of bounds and leave it at that.

R.J
07-09-2016, 06:21 PM
This is a sensible solution IMO, catches, fumbles and in or out of bounds and leave it at that.
I'd be good with that, but no coaches challenge. The command centre should look into it as they currently do with turnovers and scoring plays. It would cut down time from the coaches waiting for the replay (on screen and now via ipad/tablet), talking it over with a player/s or the coaches, throwing the flag, explaining why they're challenging and then the refs turning on the mic to let us know it's being challenged.

Argo57
07-09-2016, 06:26 PM
I'd be good with that, but no coaches challenge. The command centre should look into it as they currently do with turnovers and scoring plays. It would cut down time from the coaches waiting for the replay (on screen and now via ipad/tablet), talking it over with a player/s or the coaches, throwing the flag, explaining why they're challenging and then the refs turning on the mic to let us know it's being challenged.

+1👍👍

PullTogether73
07-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Not an assertion; obviously rhetorical caption for a nonetheless serious posting.

I was simply making a joke.

1argoholic
07-09-2016, 09:19 PM
I'd like to see the game on TSN with no commentators, officials or replays of any kind. The players just play with an honour system. Remember when we had a strike and no commentators for a few games. Not having to listen to Black or Suiter would be special!!!

Argo
07-09-2016, 09:58 PM
I was simply making a joke.

No worries, GD, I suspected as much.

Argocister
07-09-2016, 11:15 PM
But I don't think ball placement is challengeable .... Unless Jones was out of challenges at the end of the game last night

ArgoRavi
07-10-2016, 01:57 AM
But I don't think ball placement is challengeable .... Unless Jones was out of challenges at the end of the game last night

Ball placement on a 3rd down play is challengeable and I was surprised that Jones didn't challenge it (although he would have lost anyway). I think that you get challenges in OT regardless of whether you used them up during regulation but don't quote me on that.

AngeloV
07-10-2016, 08:52 AM
The expanded play-challenge regime in the CFL can be beneficial, but there have already been a few too many resultant interruptions that introduce tedious dead time into games (not to mention completely disrupting the rhythm of the game).

Perhaps giving the unsuccessful challenger a Delay Of Game penalty would be a good idea.

5 yards may not be enough. Maybe a 10 yard objectional penalty would be better.

What bothered me was on Friday when Campbell tried to challenge something, only to be denied because he was out of challenges. That absolutely should be a penalty.

Will
07-10-2016, 09:20 AM

What bothered me was on Friday when Campbell tried to challenge something, only to be denied because he was out of challenges. That absolutely should be a penalty.

I thought it was a penalty.

AngeloV
07-10-2016, 10:08 AM
I thought it was a penalty.

Not sure if it is, but the RredBlacks were not penalized Friday. I know challenging something that is not challegable is a penalty, but not sure what the rrule is for attempting to challenge when you have no remaining challenges.

doubleblue
07-10-2016, 11:10 AM

I thought that play went under review by the command center. Tough way to lose a game on a ball placement though.

paulwoods13
07-10-2016, 12:24 PM
When will we get technology that places the ball where it actually should be? Placing the football after a play has to be the least scientific officiated thing in sports. The ball (and the limb that touched down) is often buried under a huge pile of humanity. There's no way it can be placed accurately after every play. We need sensors in the ball and in the player uniforms to ensure the ball is spotted where it should be. Some day, I hope.

Argo
07-10-2016, 12:38 PM

Yes, a 10 yard penalty was what I was thinking, and Delay Of Game seemed appropriate.

I checked some URL like this one:
http://www.cfl.ca/game-rule-penalties/

to verify that Delay Of Game is a 10-yard penalty.

ArgoRavi
07-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Not sure if it is, but the RredBlacks were not penalized Friday. I know challenging something that is not challegable is a penalty, but not sure what the rrule is for attempting to challenge when you have no remaining challenges.

I am almost certain that should be a delay of game penalty, just like if you call a timeout and don't have one (I recall the Argos doing this during a game against the Riders back in 2005). I was perplexed about why there was no penalty on Friday night and tweeted Glen Johnson to let him know that there should have been one. I never heard back from him though. :)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8