PDA

View Full Version : Week 4: Hamilton Tiger-Cats @ Montreal Alouettes, July 15 Game Thread

Will
07-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Take the under on this one folks!

AngeloV
07-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Go Als.

PullTogether73
07-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Would love to see the Als own the Cats again this year, but with the current injuries I don't see it happening this week.:(

Argo57
07-11-2016, 12:25 PM
I see Hamilton coming up big this week, Austin will have them ready.

R.J
07-11-2016, 12:32 PM
I keep making the wrong picks when it comes to the Ticats, but they should win this game. Glenn might be out and they've lost 2 of their top 3 receivers - could be 3 depending on Carter's appeal process.

Argo
07-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Mazoli vs the Als D + Cato > Glenn (yea verily) + @ home ... Go Als ... although Pillsbury Popp << Kranky Kent (just for coaching staff starters)

ArgoRavi
07-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Montreal had Hamilton's number last year so I would not rule out an Alouettes win at all.

AngeloV
07-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Mazoli vs the Als D + Cato > Glenn (yea verily) + @ home ... Go Als ... although Pillsbury Popp << Kranky Kent (just for coaching staff starters)

I like Cato too, but he is going to need Sam Giguere especially to step up in the absence of the other receivers. I have no faith in that. What a disappointment he has been for the most part over his career.

Argo
07-11-2016, 01:47 PM
I like Cato too, but he is going to need Sam Giguere especially to step up in the absence of the other receivers. I have no faith in that. What a disappointment he has been for the most part over his career.

True, some players you just expect to play well game in and game out - example: Paul Masotti, anti-example: Sam Giguere.

AngeloV
07-11-2016, 01:57 PM
True, some players you just expect to play well game in and game out - example: Paul Masotti, anti-example: Sam Giguere.

Giguere can be so explosive, but he just seems very stiff in everything he does. Maybe he just bulked up too much when he was trying to make it in the NFL.

R.J
07-11-2016, 02:25 PM
Not according to Rod Black lol

KCargosfan
07-11-2016, 08:37 PM

This is what happens when GOBs hand Canadians playing time just because they can sort of play WR.

Argo
07-13-2016, 12:39 PM
"Let's roll, Kato" ... er, I mean Cato

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/07/13/checking-cato-tabbed-start-week-4/

1argoholic
07-14-2016, 05:41 PM
Go Als but please Simmoni just drill Carter once and take his air out. One of those games in which I really can't stand either team. Hopefully both struggle real bad with plenty of conflict on their own benches causing dis-function in the team junction but the Als win.

Argo
07-14-2016, 11:10 PM
Go Als but please Simmoni just drill Carter once and take his air out. One of those games in which I really can't stand either team. Hopefully both struggle real bad with plenty of conflict on their own benches causing dis-function in the team junction but the Als win.

Carter's already playing concussed, I'd wager. Hopefully, he is NOT drilled.

Carter adds lots of flair, talent, and immaturity to the league... on balance, though, he's definitely a plus.

PullTogether73
07-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Take the under on this one folks!

Unless the bet is on the number of turnovers.
Take the over on that.
This game could be ugly!

Argo
07-15-2016, 06:09 PM
Go Als Go !

AngeloV
07-15-2016, 07:42 PM
I wonder how many calls TSN will get over the Als on field, pre game pep talk buy Kyries Hebert. I thought they would have cut away or turn off the mic after the first MF bomb, but he got in at least 3 more before they switched to the Cats sideline.

AngeloV
07-15-2016, 07:45 PM
Nice sack by the overrated (according to some) Bear Woods.

:D

ArgoGabe22
07-15-2016, 07:59 PM
Interesting to see how our future QB will do tonight. I say we trade for whoever wins.

Gill The Thrill
07-15-2016, 08:00 PM
Let's start a poll....guess how many bees live in Tiquan Underwood's hair?

AngeloV
07-15-2016, 08:07 PM
Let's start a poll....guess how many bees live in Tiquan Underwood's hair?

I don't get it.

Gill The Thrill
07-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Interesting to see how our future QB will do tonight. I say we trade for whoever wins.

Masoli is too inconsistent. I'd just as soon wait for Jonathon Crompton and trade for him. His wikipedia page still lists him as a member of the Alouettes. Is he on their injured list, or is out of the game. I know Dan Lefevour who got hurt in that same opening game in 2015 for the Als has signed with an NFL team and will be at a training camp....that could be another idea.

Gill The Thrill
07-15-2016, 08:19 PM
I don't get it.You don't notice the beehive hairdo???? You may want to invest in a new TV.

Gill The Thrill
07-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Apparently Jonathon Crompton is on the 6 game injured list. I could swear I didn't see his name on the Als website before the season. Maybe they hadn't updated the injured list.

AngeloV
07-15-2016, 08:27 PM
You don't notice the beehive hairdo???? You may want to invest in a new TV.

I see his hair. No idea it was called a beehive. He's a good guy, so I won't be making fun of him.

Argo57
07-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Carter's already playing concussed, I'd wager. Hopefully, he is NOT drilled.

Carter adds lots of flair, talent, and immaturity to the league... on balance, though, he's definitely a plus.

Ahh yes the Duron Carter concussion smokescreen??
I call major bullshit on that one, Montreal grasping at straws in an attempt to avoid suspension IMO.

AngeloV
07-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Interesting fact: Each of the last 4 picks Masoli has thrown have been intended for Chad Owens.

ArgoGabe22
07-15-2016, 08:50 PM
We should pass on Masoli. He's garbage.

Argo
07-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Ahh yes the Duron Carter concussion smokescreen??
I call major bullshit on that one, Montreal grasping at straws in an attempt to avoid suspension IMO.

I'm of the opposite opinion (after having watched the replay) and I suspect that, once again, the industry is playing fast and loose with head trauma (not that it takes much trauma to have an effect).

ArgoRavi
07-16-2016, 01:09 AM
Masoli is too inconsistent. I'd just as soon wait for Jonathon Crompton and trade for him. His wikipedia page still lists him as a member of the Alouettes. Is he on their injured list, or is out of the game. I know Dan Lefevour who got hurt in that same opening game in 2015 for the Als has signed with an NFL team and will be at a training camp....that could be another idea.

Why would we want Crompton, Gill? He does not excite me at all.

Double Dare
07-16-2016, 06:09 AM
I wonder how many calls TSN will get over the Als on field, pre game pep talk buy Kyries Hebert. I thought they would have cut away or turn off the mic after the first MF bomb, but he got in at least 3 more before they switched to the Cats sideline. I was ready to call ... ha, ha.
Another ST touchdown was the turning point in this game just like in the Argos/Redblacks game.

Argo57
07-16-2016, 07:28 AM
I'm of the opposite opinion (after having watched the replay) and I suspect that, once again, the industry is playing fast and loose with head trauma (not that it takes much trauma to have an effect).

Then shame on the team, he shouldn't be playing.

OV Argo
07-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Nice sack by the overrated (according to some) Bear Woods.

:D

Loved how Woods got picked-up and pile-driven/pancaked into the end zone by rookie Ticats guard Revenberg on that TD run last night.

Ticats might think of starting Revenberg sooner than later; Dyakowski was a total pylon in their last game vs, the Bummers (got beat bad on the key game ending play, and was matador like on several other plays that I saw); maybe he recovered to play better some in last night\s game vs. Montreal, but Revenberg looked real strong when he was in. A lot of weak/hole like O-lines in the league now, IMO, and defences are having their way a lot of times - with no real threat of a run game - just tee off in pass rush.

Ticats have a formidable looking D-line now - Laurent & Chick are proven vets and newer guys (ex-NFLers) Tracy at DE and Nevis at DT look very good - Tracy was superb last night - maybe best D player game of the season so far.

R.J
07-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Masoli and Cato were both terrible, but my concern was the flow of this game. The CFL needs to get rid of the challenges and go back to the old rules of contacting receivers. It's gotten ridiculous - the refs are terrible, command centre gets it wrong, coaches are abusing the challenge flags (as I expected) and throwing it just to look for something to challenge, and the contact on the receivers is turning it into flag football. I can understand why the CFL has been losing a lot of fans the since 2013 - if this continues it'll lose me too.

argotom
07-16-2016, 03:08 PM
That was the worst game of the year and also likely the worst officiated game by a crew.
The Als so far no question are at the bottom being inept on the offensive side, their backup QB's look horrid.
Even with Glenn there is not much on an upside.
We should be able to smoke them here on the Monday, don't get me going on that day of the week.
I guess another low turnout is anticipated.

Argo
07-16-2016, 06:07 PM
That was the worst game of the year and also likely the worst officiated game by a crew.
The Als so far no question are at the bottom being inept on the offensive side, their backup QB's look horrid.
Even with Glenn there is not much on an upside.
We should be able to smoke them here on the Monday, don't get me going on that day of the week.
I guess another low turnout is anticipated.

If the Argos find some way of losing their next home game... well, I can't imagine how to end this sentence, that's all.
OTOH, a cheap blowout doesn't add a lot of value.

Argo
07-16-2016, 06:09 PM
my concern was the flow of this game. The CFL needs to get rid of the challenges and go back to the old rules of contacting receivers. It's gotten ridiculous - the refs are terrible, command centre gets it wrong, coaches are abusing the challenge flags (as I expected) and throwing it just to look for something to challenge, and the contact on the receivers is turning it into flag football. I can understand why the CFL has been losing a lot of fans the since 2013 - if this continues it'll lose me too.

Yes, and don't even wait for the end of the season to scrap such game-killing folly.

Argo
07-16-2016, 06:13 PM

Indeed, and why would we be interested in any QB at all? We have Ray and one or two future blue-chippers.

Argo57
07-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Indeed, and why would we be interested in any QB at all? We have Ray and one or two future blue-chippers.

Kilgore and Fajardo have shown some promise (granted in pre-season) but only time will tell how "Blue Chip" they really are, jury's out at this point IMO.

PullTogether73
07-16-2016, 07:39 PM
If the Argos find some way of losing their next home game... well, I can't imagine how to end this sentence, that's all.
OTOH, a cheap blowout doesn't add a lot of value.

I'm fine with a "cheap blowout" Argos victory over the Als.
I'll take any Argos victory.
:hi:

Argo
07-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Kilgore and Fajardo have shown some promise (granted in pre-season) but only time will tell how "Blue Chip" they really are, jury's out at this point IMO.

Yes, Argo57, my comment was partially (but just that) tongue-in-cheek. Part of the enjoyment, trials and tribulations of caring about the team.

Argo
07-16-2016, 07:46 PM
I'm fine with a "cheap blowout" Argos victory over the Als.
I'll take any Argos victory.
:hi:

Ha, we're all something of two-dollar whores in that respect : ))

Argo57
07-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Yes, Argo57, my comment was partially (but just that) tongue-in-cheek. Part of the enjoyment, trials and tribulations of caring about the team.

👍

Gill The Thrill
07-17-2016, 04:00 PM

He led the team to a playoff spot with a 9-1 or 9-2 record after they started 1-7 a couple of years ago if IIRC. He's not flashy, but has a strong arm, nice touch and gets the job done....big boy too...6'3 225 at least. He can be a good starter in this league and will be given the ball by the Als once he get off the IR because of how inconsistent Cato has looked. If not, I'd definitely go after him, because you have total inexperience at #2 if Ray doesn't play all 18 games.

gilthethrill
07-17-2016, 04:19 PM
He led the team to a playoff spot with a 9-1 or 9-2 record after they started 1-7 a couple of years ago if IIRC. He's not flashy, but has a strong arm, nice touch and gets the job done....big boy too...6'3 225 at least. He can be a good starter in this league and will be given the ball by the Als once he get off the IR because of how inconsistent Cato has looked. If not, I'd definitely go after him, because you have total inexperience at #2 if Ray doesn't play all 18 games.

Honestly, I thought Crompton managed Montreal into the playoffs that season. Defence and Special teams had to be near perfect in order for Montreal to win those games. As soon as that didn't happen and the Als were behind, Crompton was exposed as a mediocre QB at best.

OV Argo
07-17-2016, 06:08 PM
Honestly, I thought Crompton managed Montreal into the playoffs that season. Defence and Special teams had to be near perfect in order for Montreal to win those games. As soon as that didn't happen and the Als were behind, Crompton was exposed as a mediocre QB at best.

Hey! - battle of the 2 GilltheThrills ;o)

I happen to agree with the 2nd one here = Crompton is a mediocre QB, with an iffy arm and little useful mobility; he did "manage" some wins for the Als (with a lot of lucky jump ball receptions seemed to me), and was better than some of the stiffs they had at QB after AC, but Crompton is not even close to a CFL starter; teams unwilling to develop a young QB with talent, or unable to scout/evaluate QBs on their own, or who just want some CFL QB experience for the sake of it (cough - Adrian MacPherson - cough) might want to sign Crompton. I really hope the Argos do not fit that model now.

Argo
07-17-2016, 06:17 PM

I happen to agree with the 2nd one here = Crompton is a mediocre QB, with an iffy arm and little useful mobility; he did "manage" some wins for the Als (with a lot of lucky jump ball receptions seemed to me), and was better than some of the stiffs they had at QB after AC, but Crompton is not even close to a CFL starter; teams unwilling to develop a young QB with talent, or unable to scout/evaluate QBs on their own, or who just want some CFL QB experience for the sake of it (cough - Adrian MacPherson - cough) might want to sign Crompton. I really hope the Argos do not fit that model now.

Yes, "touch" is one thing that Crompton completely lacks. Fortunately he'll never be an Argonaut.

Gill The Thrill
07-19-2016, 01:01 AM

Yes, "touch" is one thing that Crompton completely lacks. Fortunately he'll never be an Argonaut.

I honestly think you guys are confusing Crompton with Tanner Marsh. Crompton was the much more accurate thrower and Marsh was the guy throwing it up for jump balls. Funny you refer to them as jump balls, because Ricky Ray has been throwing quite a few of those on his fades ...this is his specialty to Gurley.

Crompton's asset for me is that he does not mismanage the ball like Jeremiah Masoli, and it's this management of the offence that was consistent and helped the Als improve a couple of years ago. The Als were a methodical NFL style ball control management offence and I think the Argos could use a little of that patience should Ricky Ray not last the season. Throwing Logan Kilgore into the fire without any game experience will result in a long painful year should Ray not last the entire season.

Double Dare
07-19-2016, 07:31 AM
I honestly think you guys are confusing Crompton with Tanner Marsh. Crompton was the much more accurate thrower and Marsh was the guy throwing it up for jump balls. Funny you refer to them as jump balls, because Ricky Ray has been throwing quite a few of those on his fades ...this is his specialty to Gurley.

This is the pass of today's CFL ... jump balls ... hoping for PIs or so they can throw a challenge.

Gill The Thrill
07-19-2016, 09:57 AM
This is the pass of today's CFL ... jump balls ... hoping for PIs or so they can throw a challenge.Good point, I missed 3 CFL games this week and didn't pvr them, and there are weeks where I watch every game. It has really slowed the game down badly and taken the pace, which is always why I've favoured watching the CFL game, away. Been following the league since the early 80s when I was a kid and that's why I remained a fan, long after friends and family have bailed on the league. I may not be their target audience for the future, but I'm still alive, and do buy products.

All sports leagues better be careful about trying to be too contemporary to attract kids and young adults. Baseball took years to recover after FOX told announcers to not refer to its' old retired star players and ratings dipped with boring telecasts and 4 hour games which bored even older fans. The CFL should not ignore its' tried and true fans to bring in a party of under 30s who want to watch one game a year.

AngeloV
07-19-2016, 10:40 AM
I honestly think you guys are confusing Crompton with Tanner Marsh. Crompton was the much more accurate thrower and Marsh .

Crompton has a really strong arm, but accuracy is not what he is known for. Career 55% (43% in limited action last year) passer in an era where anything under 65 is below average. His TD/INT ratio is nothing to write home about either.

As for jump balls, there is a difference between and actual 50/50 jump ball and a jump ball thrown to the back shoulder where the receiver has an advantage. Ray's TD pass to Gurley in BC was clearly thrown to the back shoulder where there was no threat of a pick.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8