PDA

View Full Version : Guesstimate for attendance at Monday's game

PullTogether73
07-19-2016, 07:34 AM
Since we have all been lamenting the dismal turnout for last Wednesday's game against the REDBLACKS, I figure we should have some fun guessing what will be the attendance for Monday's game against the Alouettes.

Factors which may keep people from attending this game:

Monday night game. Football should only be played on weekends.
Weeknight game. People have to work the next day.
Game is at BMO Field. BMO Field is not next door to my residence.
There is road traffic in Toronto.
There is foot traffic in Toronto.
Parking isn't free in or near the stadium.
The GO train only runs every half hour and doesn't stop in front of my house.
There is a Blue Jays game somewhere.
This is not the NFL.
This is only the CFL, a second rate league.
Ticket prices are too high.
Concession prices are too high.
Not enough craft beer selection.
Seats at the stadium are uncomfortable.
They play crappy music at the games.
The video board is too small.
It will be too hot or humid.
The sun will be in my eyes.
It might rain.
The Toronto media will post negative articles about the game, the Argonauts, and the CFL.
Rogers Media will trash the game, the Argonauts, and the CFL.
The Argonauts and the CFL aren't cool or trendy.
The Maple Leafs might sign some unknown, irrelevant player and I can't miss that announcement.
Jupiter is in retrograde with Mercury.
My zodiac sign for that day warns about venturing outside for unnecessary trips.
It is the Chinese year of the ______, not a good omen for going to an Argonauts game.

Factors which will encourage people to go to the game:
Freedom to sit almost anywhere in the east stands.

Gill The Thrill
07-19-2016, 08:18 AM
Since we have all been lamenting the dismal turnout for last Wednesday's game against the REDBLACKS, I figure we should have some fun guessing what will be the attendance for Monday's game against the Alouettes.

This is not the NFL.
It might rain.
The Toronto media will post negative articles about the game, the Argonauts, and the CFL.
The Maple Leafs might sign some unknown, irrelevant player and I can't miss that announcement.
My zodiac sign for that day warns about venturing outside for unnecessary trips.
It is the Chinese year of the ______, not a good omen for going to an Argonauts game.

Freedom to sit almost anywhere in the east stands.Do we really need the attendance watch threads?? I guess we do, after last game.
I just checked out the tickets available for the game...and I know the game will be better attended than the Ottawa game as the south end zone is mostly sold, and so are most of the sections behind the Argo bench. The sections behind the Argo bench were the only healthy sections last week.

I'm going to hope 18k. Do the Argos not make upper east side seats available. I honestly think the prices between 206-208 are too high. Do they not allow anyone to buy the upper level seats because they want people to buy the lower seats in those sections. I don't think that's good practice in a 27,000 seat stadium.

Double Dare
07-19-2016, 08:34 AM
15 Gs

Scooter McCray
07-19-2016, 09:35 AM
I was away this past weekend on a family reunion cottage weekend. I am the only STH in the family but I have brought most family members to games over the years including the last two games this year. The consensus amongst our small group was that the pricing of the tickets is just too high for the regular season games. They might go to a playoff game at these prices, or a one off type of games like the home opener but they would not go regularly at the current price structure. Forget about the Grey Cup game. I'm a superfan and I can't justify paying what they are asking, and I really want to be there. As much as I like what new ownership is doing, they have badly misread the fanbase and are charging sky high prices for an apathetic city. Only after rekindling interest and creating the place to be atmosphere should they begin to charge more for their now in demand product. There is no demand right now. For what its worth I did leave Michael Copeland a very polite voice message about my concerns on Grey Cup last Thursday. No response. I know he is busy and he does not owe me a call back, but I did mention that I have been a STH since the early 80s. Say what you want about Chris Rudge, I called him on 3 occasions about issues and he always returned my calls.

doubleblue
07-19-2016, 11:26 AM

This is not the NFL.
It might rain.

There is a lot of truth to "some" (not all) of those excuses even though you may well be saying it in a sarcastic tone. Easier to stay home and watch on TV, and that is what is happening IMO. Especially on a week night. But we are not going to shame people into going, which seems to be the tone on here most of the time. Too many other things going on in peoples lives and in many cases there is a limit to how much extra money is available from their budget.

AngeloV
07-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Not even going to try and guess, but I will be there.

doubleblue
07-19-2016, 11:36 AM
15 Gs

That would be my guess. 15,000 for week day games 20,000 for week ends. Maybe more on the week end games if there was a lot of rivalry going on. With reported break even number at 18,000 they are right on track after two games.

PullTogether73
07-19-2016, 11:41 AM
There is a lot of truth to "some" (not all) of those excuses even though you may well be saying it in a sarcastic tone. Easier to stay home and watch on TV, and that is what is happening IMO. Especially on a week night. But we are not going to shame people into going, which seems to be the tone on here most of the time. Too many other things going on in peoples lives and in many cases there is a limit to how much extra money is available from their budget.

I was actually just having fun with this, but you're right - there is an underlying sarcasm in my OP.

I do find it laughable that there are so many excuses offered for low turnout at Argo games.
Yet other Toronto teams don't have these issues.
Can't the reason for poor turnout simply be that there aren't that many Argo fans in the GTA anymore?
Ownership has to build the fan base.
There are no "perfect" game conditions that will entice non-fans.

KCargosfan
07-19-2016, 12:04 PM

This is not the NFL.
It might rain.

haha. Good work there. Thumbs up to your sarcasm.

That being said, I will guess 15K since there is no Indy race.

Neely2005
07-19-2016, 12:57 PM
At least 15k.

4 of us will be be at the Tailgate and the game.

Scooter McCray
07-19-2016, 01:22 PM
10 K. Last week of July Is the second most Cdns on vacation other than Christmas week. We only have 7K STH. Some of them will be away. Coming off second home loss. Currently no buzz about this game by media or team. Argos are retrenching to focus on the 2 CNE games to try and sell those out. This will be their battle of the bulge to try and save the season.

paulwoods13
07-19-2016, 01:24 PM
Can't the reason for poor turnout simply be that there aren't that many Argo fans in the GTA anymore?
Ownership has to build the fan base.

I think that is absolutely the reason. The number of people who care enough about the team to go to games has been dwindling for 30 years. The Jays were in a somewhat similar situation 6-8 years ago and have recaptured a large fanbase, so it can be done. But we are dealing with a few strikes against us, including a much longer period of fan bleed, perception that we are not in a "major league" and an erratic schedule. Still, we have what appears to be committed ownership in it for the long haul and I believe that 3-5 years from now we can be consistently drawing 24,000 fans a game.

R.J
07-19-2016, 02:00 PM

It'll take 10 years to build the fanbase.

KCargosfan
07-19-2016, 03:56 PM
If all of our predictions come true, then we are past the valley. Probably past the peak, too, but at least past the valley as well.

1argoholic
07-19-2016, 04:05 PM
Here we go again. I could have been there as my buddy generously offered his two extra seats to my wife and I but it's a weeknight and we live in the mighty 705. haha. She doesn't finish work until five and gets out after that. We'll be in TO one night later to see Rocket From The Crypt at Lees. Too bad we couldn't do Monday and Tuesday but because of her friggin job, it was a no go.

I hope for 15 but better then last game. Who knows.

Ron
07-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Here we go again. I could have been there as my buddy generously offered his two extra seats to my wife and I but it's a weeknight and we live in the mighty 705. haha. She doesn't finish work until five and gets out after that. We'll be in TO one night later to see Rocket From The Crypt at Lees. Too bad we couldn't do Monday and Tuesday but because of her friggin job, it was a no go.

I hope for 15 but better then last game. Who knows.

So for all the reasons you always list for not coming to weeknight games in Toronto ... you had no issues with coming on a weeknight to a musical? <jk> ;)

Ron
07-19-2016, 04:40 PM
I think that is absolutely the reason. The number of people who care enough about the team to go to games has been dwindling for 30 years. The Jays were in a somewhat similar situation 6-8 years ago and have recaptured a large fanbase, so it can be done. But we are dealing with a few strikes against us, including a much longer period of fan bleed, perception that we are not in a "major league" and an erratic schedule. Still, we have what appears to be committed ownership in it for the long haul and I believe that 3-5 years from now we can be consistently drawing 24,000 fans a game.

Fair assessment. A few years back the Jays were drawing 5-8K for weeknight games. Now they created some excitement and we see the results. But once that exciting era ends ... we'll see the drop again.

Scooter McCray
07-19-2016, 05:02 PM
I think that is absolutely the reason. The number of people who care enough about the team to go to games has been dwindling for 30 years. The Jays were in a somewhat similar situation 6-8 years ago and have recaptured a large fanbase, so it can be done. But we are dealing with a few strikes against us, including a much longer period of fan bleed, perception that we are not in a "major league" and an erratic schedule. Still, we have what appears to be committed ownership in it for the long haul and I believe that 3-5 years from now we can be consistently drawing 24,000 fans a game. agree with your comments and I hope that ownership is committed for the long haul and don't get discouraged. But what about Grey Cup for this year. They have priced it as if they are already at that 3-5 year stage with 24,000 fans coming every game. Who are the 38,000 that are going to buy tickets that are multiple times greater than the 100th GC? It's not the 7,000 STH because judging by this forum not many are planning to go (myself included). Who do they want at this game anyhow?

Argo57
07-19-2016, 06:20 PM

Absolutely Paul, I've been saying this for quite some time.
Every poorly attended game (and there have been many) you hear the rationalizations start (see GreyDragons list).
I'm in section 207 and $799 a seat is kind of rich TBH, they'd better be careful or their 7,000 season ticket total may slide in season 2 and 3.
IMO should have made the seat pricing much more modest to attract fans, start to build atmosphere and perhaps most of all choke off any opportunity for the media to dump on them.

AngeloV
07-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Don't know how well they are going, but discounted tickets are available on Groupon for Monday's game.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-toronto-argonauts-1

ArgoZ
07-19-2016, 10:11 PM

Alienate: To make indifferent especially where attachment formerly existed.
Last game 7000 ST holders were joined by 5000 other fans in one of the most depressing crowds in Argos modern history. Is the notion that the current ownership better be careful not to alienate us fans one by one still "beyond laughable" Paul? While I too can see potential and a brighter future, there is nothing wrong holding current ownership to some shared accountability. For example, if there is no real supply/demand, what exactly is there to attract a potential ST holder? There have been some great suggestions in others threads before and after last games debacle, hopefully we can get this right.

1argoholic
07-19-2016, 10:19 PM
A musical Ron? hahaha. Rocket From The Crypt is a killer band from San Diego who we've seen twice since 1998. They broke up and are now back together. I've been to hundreds of CFL games. This will be the third time seeing one of my favorite bands so yah we made the plans. I had no idea the Argos played on the Monday at that point.

marcwagz
07-20-2016, 10:35 AM
im going to be at work while the games on... but ill be able to watch on tsn go.
so... hurray

paulwoods13
07-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Alienate: To make indifferent especially where attachment formerly existed.
Last game 7000 ST holders were joined by 5000 other fans in one of the most depressing crowds in Argos modern history. Is the notion that the current ownership better be careful not to alienate us fans one by one still "beyond laughable" Paul? While I too can see potential and a brighter future, there is nothing wrong holding current ownership to some shared accountability. For example, if there is no real supply/demand, what exactly is there to attract a potential ST holder? There have been some great suggestions in others threads before and after last games debacle, hopefully we can get this right.

What exactly has the current ownership done to alienate you so far? Speaking for myself, the GC tix prices are extremely disappointing but other than that I have no complaints yet. I certainly don't want them to give away seats after I paid for mine.

I agree they should (and will) be held accountable but I'm not seeing tangible evidence that they deserve a ton of criticism so far. I'm not of the belief that they should have started advertising before they even owned the team (or that it would have made a significant difference to sales) or that they dropped the ball by failing to hold a Fan Day. Obviously some folks feel otherwise.

And again, we are TWO GAMES into a new regime. Anyone who expected overnight success after 30 years of neglect and worse was being unrealistic. I'm sure even Larry T did not really expect to sell out every game. You can argue he shouldn't have said it, but I don't consider that an alienable offence.

mchesher03
07-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Paul's correct about the Jays - going to games about 10 years ago they had the majority of that stadium tarped off and those fans at the ballpark were older generally. 15k was about the norm, few in the upper deck. So although the Argos face more in the way of headwinds attracting crowds, as was stated it can be done. Will it be done? all we can do is cross our fingers - I know I'll be there on Monday for what will hopefully be our first W at BMO Field.

R.J
07-20-2016, 01:24 PM
What exactly has the current ownership done to alienate you so far? Speaking for myself, the GC tix prices are extremely disappointing but other than that I have no complaints yet. I certainly don't want them to give away seats after I paid for mine.

I agree they should (and will) be held accountable but I'm not seeing tangible evidence that they deserve a ton of criticism so far. I'm not of the belief that they should have started advertising before they even owned the team (or that it would have made a significant difference to sales) or that they dropped the ball by failing to hold a Fan Day. Obviously some folks feel otherwise.

And again, we are TWO GAMES into a new regime. Anyone who expected overnight success after 30 years of neglect and worse was being unrealistic. I'm sure even Larry T did not really expect to sell out every game. You can argue he shouldn't have said it, but I don't consider that an alienable offence.
I have no issue with what Tanenbaum stated. What was he supposed to say ? "Well we hope we can sell out 1 or 2 games and maybe get 15k for the rest". I doubt that would have gone well over here, in the media or even the general public.

I agree with your overall sentiment though; the new owners and leadership haven't done anything alienable. Are there issues ? Yes I believe so, but they can all be corrected in time, and IMO they've done a very good job with certain things. 3 home games (pre season included) is nowhere near enough time to see what's to come. TBH I really don't understand how or why some are so disappointed; it's going to take time to fix this market. The individuals who are complaining and thought everything would be fixed or close to it in year one, either have zero patience or have no concept of how bad this market has become.

AngeloV
07-20-2016, 02:18 PM
The individuals who are complaining and thought everything would be fixed or close to it in year one, either have zero patience or have no concept of how bad this market has become.

All you need to do is read a game day thread to realize there is a huge lack of patience.

R.J
07-20-2016, 02:23 PM
All you need to do is read a game day thread to realize there is a huge lack of patience.
That IMO is different. We've had to watch Milanovich's offense for 4.25 seasons; it's the same issues recurring. TanenBELL are new owners and again IMO need more time to right the ship. A lot of damage was done to this market, and it's not TanenBELL's fault this market has sucked for 30 years.

ArgoGabe22
07-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Paul's correct about the Jays - going to games about 10 years ago they had the majority of that stadium tarped off and those fans at the ballpark were older generally. 15k was about the norm, few in the upper deck. So although the Argos face more in the way of headwinds attracting crowds, as was stated it can be done. Will it be done? all we can do is cross our fingers - I know I'll be there on Monday for what will hopefully be our first W at BMO Field.

I remember there used to be a joke that more fans were at the Toronto Lynx (pre-TFC) than at the Jays game.

Footballdude
07-20-2016, 03:17 PM
From what I gather, the Argos knew that both the Ottawa game and next weeks Montreal game was going to be a hard sell. They identified both these games when the schedule was released as tough sells. With about 4 days to go for the Ottawa game, there was talk of providing tickets to the Corp partners to up the attendance into the 18,000 range. However with the Argos growing their season ticket base from 3,000 last year to 7400 this year, the concern was about pissing off your season ticket base. Most of the season ticket holders have bought in the higher price sections too. The fear being, here we are at game 2 at home and we already have too give out 3000 to 4000 tickets. The team is trying to install some integrity with STH and to grow the base. So the thinking was, what would be worse or cause the most damage to the brand. Have 18,000 at the Ottawa game, or have 12,000 sold. The media was still going to be negative on the team, even with 18,000, so the team made the call to back their STH. Also the team really wanted to see where the fan baseline was at, and to get a real picture of where the Argos sit with the ticket buying public. I think it was the right call. The same conversation is taking place for the Monday Montreal game and the team will make the same call. The team is selling more tickets for this game then Ottawa, but I think 15,000 will be the number sold. The Argos are making a big push for the first weekend game and are hoping to get over 22,000 or more.

ArgoRavi
07-20-2016, 04:25 PM
From what I gather, the Argos knew that both the Ottawa game and next weeks Montreal game was going to be a hard sell. They identified both these games when the schedule was released as tough sells. With about 4 days to go for the Ottawa game, there was talk of providing tickets to the Corp partners to up the attendance into the 18,000 range. However with the Argos growing their season ticket base from 3,000 last year to 7400 this year, the concern was about pissing off your season ticket base. Most of the season ticket holders have bought in the higher price sections too. The fear being, here we are at game 2 at home and we already have too give out 3000 to 4000 tickets. The team is trying to install some integrity with STH and to grow the base. So the thinking was, what would be worse or cause the most damage to the brand. Have 18,000 at the Ottawa game, or have 12,000 sold. The media was still going to be negative on the team, even with 18,000, so the team made the call to back their STH. Also the team really wanted to see where the fan baseline was at, and to get a real picture of where the Argos sit with the ticket buying public. I think it was the right call. The same conversation is taking place for the Monday Montreal game and the team will make the same call. The team is selling more tickets for this game then Ottawa, but I think 15,000 will be the number sold. The Argos are making a big push for the first weekend game and are hoping to get over 22,000 or more.

Sounds like you might have some inside info. Everything you are saying here does make sense though. Back in 1997 when the Als were still playing at the Big Owe, Larry Smith made the decision not to give out freebies that season after Jim Speros had papered the stadium heavily the year before. The idea was for Alouettes tickets to have value and that eventually paid off expedited by the move to McGill. However, in 1997, the Als often played before fewer than 10k.

Godfather
07-20-2016, 04:50 PM

This would be the right call. Never devalue the tickets or piss off the season ticket holders. According to ticketmaster it looks like a lot more sales for Monday's game from when I checked a few days ago. I hope they are not purposely being held back.

R.J
07-20-2016, 04:55 PM
This would be the right call. Never devalue the tickets or piss off the season ticket holders. According to ticketmaster it looks like a lot more sales for Monday's game from when I checked a few days ago. I hope they are not purposely being held back.
Upper section of seats in the East upper deck are held back.

Mr. Pike
07-20-2016, 04:56 PM
The upper east side except for one section is definatly being held back , they just wiped out a whole pile of available seats for sale up there , its almost as if they don't want to sell it till the rest of the stadium seats are sold ....maybe not a bad idea.

Godfather
07-20-2016, 05:03 PM
The upper east side except for one section is definatly being held back , they just wiped out a whole pile of available seats for sale up there , its almost as if they don't want to sell it till the rest of the stadium seats are sold ....maybe not a bad idea.

Yes. I think TFC does this as well. But looks like a lot more sold in the lower tier of east side as well.

I think the argos should lower ticket prices on the east side versus their equivalent seats on the west side to encourage more sales there and make it look better and more balanced for TV.

Scooter McCray
07-20-2016, 06:08 PM
As a STH I don't want a ton of freebies while I had to pay full price. However I am tired of sitting in empty stadiums. I want atmosphere at the game. I think they are pricing the tickets way too high for what the demand and perception is.

Invader
07-20-2016, 06:46 PM
If you want an attendance prediction with no baloney, talk to the hotdog cart dude...

1argoholic
07-20-2016, 07:07 PM
I have no issue if they donate to an organization near and dear to Durie's heart in Community Living Mississauga. Basically developmentally disabled. My wife worked for The Clements Centre in Duncan BC which is the same type of great organization. If you want people with a love for life that will be loud and full of fun these are the folks. They would have no preconceived notions about the league, they'd just have a blast. Man they can make you laugh with what they come up with.

Shipyard
07-20-2016, 07:11 PM
Yes. I think TFC does this as well. But looks like a lot more sold in the lower tier of east side as well.

I think the argos should lower ticket prices on the east side versus their equivalent seats on the west side to encourage more sales there and make it look better and more balanced for TV.

completely agree. ticket prices should be lower on the east side. Even noticed the LA Rams price the sunny side alot lower from shade side.

If you see games of TFC last year, the eastside was just as bare as last argo games. MLSE worked hard in the offseason to sell these off to corporate / group sales and its much fuller. Hopefully MLSE can do the same for the Argos with a full offseason.

Neely2005
07-20-2016, 07:34 PM

It makes sense and I don't disagree with their decision.

Neely2005
07-20-2016, 07:38 PM
I have no issue if they donate to an organization near and dear to Durie's heart in Community Living Mississauga. Basically developmentally disabled. My wife worked for The Clements Centre in Duncan BC which is the same type of great organization. If you want people with a love for life that will be loud and full of fun these are the folks. They would have no preconceived notions about the league, they'd just have a blast. Man they can make you laugh with what they come up with.

I'm not a fan of giving away free regular season or playoff tickets but if you're going to then giving them to a charity is the way to do it. Preferably one involving kids.

ArgoFan1
07-21-2016, 04:12 AM
If you want an attendance prediction with no baloney, talk to the hotdog cart dude...

Good idea. I'll ask him by Saturday and see what he says the attendance will be. He was bang on last time. We can delete these attendance guessing threads altogether and I'll just post the hotdog dude's words !! lol, but... so far, so good.

Double Dare
07-21-2016, 06:20 AM
If you want an attendance prediction with no baloney, talk to the hotdog cart dude... Baloney, hotdog, Ha, ha ... I just had to ...

R.J
07-21-2016, 11:21 AM
According to Bob Young tickets give aways in the 10% range are the norm. I have no issue with freebies for the most part, and I recall quite a few members here taking advantage of the pre season freebies and asking others for their password.

Neely2005
07-21-2016, 11:24 AM
According to Bob Young tickets give aways in the 10% range are the norm. I have no issue with freebies for the most part, and I recall quite a few members here taking advantage of the pre season freebies and asking others for their password.

Which is why I said that "I'm not a fan of giving away free regular season or playoff tickets."

Preseason give away as many as you want.

R.J
07-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Which is why I said that "I'm not a fan of giving away free regular season or playoff tickets."

Preseason give away as many as you want.
So if the team had a promo right now where they would give you and all us season ticket holders 2 free tickets to each regular season game, you wouldn't take advantage ?

Neely2005
07-21-2016, 11:37 AM
So if the team had a promo right now where they would give you and all us season ticket holders 2 free tickets to each regular season game, you wouldn't take advantage ?

There's a big difference in giving free tickets to Season Ticket holders who have already paid for tickets and giving free tickets to Joe Blow off the street who hasn't paid for anything.

Giving free tickets to Joe Blow devalues your tickets and will upset a lot of your hardcore fans who actually pay for tickets.

PullTogether73
07-21-2016, 11:37 AM

I believe there is a difference between offering free tickets to the team's dedicated fan base as a perk for being a STH, versus giving away tickets to corporations to distribute among disinterested individuals within their sphere.

The first situation rewards the team's most ardent fans.
The second situation degrades those same fans' commitment to the team.

Edit: looks like Neely and I had the same thought at the same time!

Neely2005
07-21-2016, 11:40 AM
I believe there is a difference between offering free tickets to the team's dedicated fan base as a perk for being a STH, versus giving away tickets to corporations to distribute among disinterested individuals within their sphere.

Great minds...
:-)

R.J
07-21-2016, 12:55 PM

You do realize that these corporations pay a lot of money to the Argonauts don't you ?
The way I see it, giving away corporate tickets are okay with me so long as they're used. As for the whole joe blow thing; say the Argonauts give away a bunch of tickets to people in Liberty Village or to York, UofT and Ryerson students, and they're used - along with bringing in some atmosphere, then to me that can be seen as a good thing and a good use.

Sorry, but from where I sit it seems as though so long as it benefits certain members around here they're okay with freebies, but when it benefits someone else (even the team) not so much. It's not as simple as freebies going here and there; IMO you have to try and look at the bigger picture.

AngeloV
07-21-2016, 01:35 PM
I don't care one way or the other. It's not going to stop me from purchasing my season seat.

Shipyard
07-21-2016, 02:10 PM
You do realize that these corporations pay a lot of money to the Argonauts don't you ?
The way I see it, giving away corporate tickets are okay with me so long as they're used. As for the whole joe blow thing; say the Argonauts give away a bunch of tickets to people in Liberty Village or to York, UofT and Ryerson students, and they're used - along with bringing in some atmosphere, then to me that can be seen as a good thing and a good use.

Sorry, but from where I sit it seems as though so long as it benefits certain members around here they're okay with freebies, but when it benefits someone else (even the team) not so much. It's not as simple as freebies going here and there; IMO you have to try and look at the bigger picture.

I put put freebies into developing new fans. Like a 2 for 1 minor football tickets for kids with adult. Practice for minor football is starting next week, these guys already like football, it time to turn them into argo fans, not tigercats/nfl fans. I would do this for all the summer games for next five years. This group isn't going to buy season seats anyways, given parents with young kids demo (schedules are all messed up), but in 10 years both the dads and sons will be SSH.

Godfather
07-21-2016, 03:26 PM
According to ticketmaster there appears to be a lot of tickets sold for Monday's game. Way more than last game. Positive news but I must say I am a bit suspicious.

Neely2005
07-21-2016, 03:43 PM

So the corporations just give the Argonauts money? And get nothing in return?

If the Corporations want tickets I'm sure that they have a provision in their contract to buy them at a discount.

If the Argonauts are going to give out free tickets to Joe Blow why would I spend my money on Season Tickets? I'll just get some of the free tickets.

Like I said if they want to give some free or discounted tickets to charities / youth charities I don't have any issues with that.

PullTogether73
07-21-2016, 04:46 PM
I don't care one way or the other. It's not going to stop me from purchasing my season seat.

If it was a common practice for several years, it would definitely stop me from purchasing my season seat.

If the Corporations want tickets I'm sure that they have a provision in their contract to buy them at a discount.

If the Argonauts are going to give out free tickets to Joe Blow why would I spend my money on Season Tickets? I'll just get some of the free tickets.

Like I said if they want to give some free or discounted tickets to charities / youth charities I don't have any issues with that.

Thanks again Neely for saving me the effort of typing out pretty much exactly what you wrote.

Tobythor
07-21-2016, 04:54 PM
I put put freebies into developing new fans. Like a 2 for 1 minor football tickets for kids with adult. Practice for minor football is starting next week, these guys already like football, it time to turn them into argo fans, not tigercats/nfl fans. I would do this for all the summer games for next five years. This group isn't going to buy season seats anyways, given parents with young kids demo (schedules are all messed up), but in 10 years both the dads and sons will be SSH.

I agree with this 100%. Minor football players are the fans the Argos need to get going to games (I sure some already going). I would also go after adult football teams flag and contact, maybe offer them a free tailgate pass if the buy 10 seats at a special price.

R.J
07-21-2016, 06:58 PM
I agree. Giving to youth football, along with young families etc, is the way to go. I suppose teenagers, University and College students are the "big fish".

Corporations get advertising within the stadium and team events; there are also a lot of tickets involved, and yes extra tickets are given away from time to time (it happened previously with my company). As I've said - if it's for the greater good; I don't see the issue. I'm still going to buy my seats, and hopefully those that do get freebies see the value in the organization and eventually buy tickets or in the case of the corporations = add to their sponsorship deals and/or buy more tickets as part of a package.

If it was a common practice for several years, it would definitely stop me from purchasing my season seat.
According to Bob Young, 10-15% of tickets for sporting events (not sure if he meant in general or just the CFL) are freebies.

AngeloV
07-21-2016, 07:13 PM

How long have you been a season ticket holder? I can guarantee you it's definitely been happening the last 10-15 years, possible way more. I live with it. I still get bang for my buck from an entertainment perspective, and if others get in for free, so be it.

ArgoFan1
07-21-2016, 11:09 PM
I feel the same. I pay for my tickets and I get what I want from them. I don't mind some people getting freebies. It's never going to be anywhere near the majority of people there getting in for free. When a the business is struggling, they have to do something to attract new fans and who knows once you get people in there and they enjoy themselves... they could be future season seat holders.

ArgoGabe22
07-21-2016, 11:19 PM
Another reality to freebies is that it's not like the same Joe Blow is getting a free ticket for all 10 games. Unless if its corporate, then that may be a little different but I don't consider those as freebies to Joe Blow.

Shipyard
07-21-2016, 11:38 PM
Another issue for the Argos, it this game will be on national television in the US. I think the organization wants to put on a good show for potential recruits.

Gill The Thrill
07-22-2016, 01:08 PM
I feel the same. I pay for my tickets and I get what I want from them. I don't mind some people getting freebies. It's never going to be anywhere near the majority of people there getting in for free. When a the business is struggling, they have to do something to attract new fans and who knows once you get people in there and they enjoy themselves... they could be future season seat holders.

I can't agree with this, because if this were the case, the Argos would have 25,000 season ticket holders. When you give out freebies to people, why would you ever expect them to ever pay to go watch a game? Unless they're die-hards, which they are obviously not since they've never come to a game on their own. WHY would they pay to come to one when they know that they can get free tickets to one or two games a year?

People who are given freebies for anything are more likely to never pay for something that they've received for free. It's human nature. Why would they, when they know they can go for free.

It devalues the product in the long-term and the short-term gain is so short that these same fans who receive free tickets enter the stadium late, leave by the end of the 3rd quarter in a close game without hardly cheering or having any emotional attachment to the game, barely spending a dime concessions. They probably complain about the parking or the fare for public transit to even entertain coming back to the stadium and paying for a ticket...That's how short-term and meaningless giving out freebies is to developing a fan base.

It makes season seat holders and passionate fans feel like dopes for paying and supporting their team.

I remember the Tony Hawk game in 2001, what a disgrace and insult to emotionally invested Argo fans. To watch all those idiots who bought the cheapest $14 tickets move to the 100 level, sit like a bump on a log for the football action (it might as well be an empty seat), cheer only during the skateboarders performance at halftime and then leave the stadium right after it. That's not building a fan base...those fans never came back, and why would they...they couldn't care less about football.

I'm a football fan and I remember attending the first NCAA International Bowl at Skydome between Cincinnati (Collaros and Hazelton played for them) and Western Michigan. I paid for my ticket but felt ripped off when everybody I spoke to said they got free tickets. I never attended another International Bowl again and attendance for the next one was even lower. Why would they expect it to be a higher paid event...very few paid to go to the first one, why should I, and I'm a football fan.

Double Dare
07-22-2016, 01:15 PM
Another issue for the Argos, it this game will be on national television in the US. I think the organization wants to put on a good show for potential recruits. Snoop will be watching: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/cfl/legendary-rapper-snoopin-around-the-cfl/ar-BBuDbGM?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignoutmd He wants to try out for the CFL. : )

Gill The Thrill
07-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Another issue for the Argos, it this game will be on national television in the US. I think the organization wants to put on a good show for potential recruits.
Not blaming you per se, you could be right, but I can't stand the notion of the Americans are watching...who gives a rat's ass? As for improving your chances with recruits, try winning a friggin game at home and having a more diversified offense that plays exciting football. That will improve recruits ...(it's pro football, not college, the guys get paid, that should be enough of an incentive) and get fans willing to pay for a ticket.

Don't know how well they are going, but discounted tickets are available on Groupon for Monday's game.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-toronto-argonauts-1 Those Groupon deals better not be better deals than what the season ticket prices were in those sections because if I was a season ticket holder in those sections and discovered that, I'd be pissed at the organization from top to bottom. From ownership, sales and marketing to the football operations. They know what they've been dealing with in this market for awhile and should have priced the tickets accordingly to attract more fans to fill the fewer seats at BMO, especially in year 1.

So, it's Toronto...does'nt mean tickets should be more expensive here than in Regina to watch a CFL game based on demand. Every league has different price structure based on the popularity of that league in its local market. I sat 4 rows from the ice to watch an NHL game in Tampa a few years ago for $50. In Toronto, that may not even get me valet parking at a Leafs game, let alone a ticket for the game.

Ron
07-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Those Groupon deals better not be better deals than what the season ticket prices were in those sections because if I was a season ticket holder in those sections and discovered that, I'd be pissed at the organization from top to bottom.

The Deal

$44 for one G-Pass for silver seating ($61 value)
$60 for one G-Pass for gold seating ($83 value)
$80 for one G-Pass for platinum seating ($110 value)
Over 60 bought so far

AngeloV
07-22-2016, 03:05 PM
The Deal

$44 for one G-Pass for silver seating ($61 value)
$60 for one G-Pass for gold seating ($83 value)
$80 for one G-Pass for platinum seating ($110 value)
Over 60 bought so far

They also had tickets for $19 originally, but they are no longer there. May have sold those out?

1argoholic
07-23-2016, 10:13 PM
I feel sorry for anyone who's name is Joe Blow or anyone named John because your named after a toilet. hahaha. Sorry to those named John! Sorry my mind is screwed and pretty much always thinks of warped silly crap.

ArgoFan1
07-24-2016, 02:40 PM
The hot dog guy says he was not able to get anything from his son regarding the number of tickets sold for Monday's game, since the son has been too busy to talk to him. We'll just have to wait and see what the attendance is. Should be better than last game. I am hoping that was the lowest point of the season.

Gill The Thrill
07-24-2016, 03:41 PM
The hot dog guy says he was not able to get anything from his son regarding the number of tickets sold for Monday's game, since the son has been too busy to talk to him. We'll just have to wait and see what the attendance is. Should be better than last game. I am hoping that was the lowest point of the season.

lol...keep those hot dog guy attendance reports coming. Maybe he should be the commissioner of the league instead of Orridge or working in the Argos PR and marketing department. At least he tells it like it is...lol

Argoknot
07-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Sorry my mind is screwed and pretty much always thinks of warped silly crap.Unfortunately for people at this forum that is true.

Argo57
07-24-2016, 04:06 PM
Not blaming you per se, you could be right, but I can't stand the notion of the Americans are watching...who gives a rat's ass? As for improving your chances with recruits, try winning a friggin game at home and having a more diversified offense that plays exciting football. That will improve recruits ...(it's pro football, not college, the guys get paid, that should be enough of an incentive) and get fans willing to pay for a ticket.

Those Groupon deals better not be better deals than what the season ticket prices were in those sections because if I was a season ticket holder in those sections and discovered that, I'd be pissed at the organization from top to bottom. From ownership, sales and marketing to the football operations. They know what they've been dealing with in this market for awhile and should have priced the tickets accordingly to attract more fans to fill the fewer seats at BMO, especially in year 1.

So, it's Toronto...does'nt mean tickets should be more expensive here than in Regina to watch a CFL game based on demand. Every league has different price structure based on the popularity of that league in its local market. I sat 4 rows from the ice to watch an NHL game in Tampa a few years ago for $50. In Toronto, that may not even get me valet parking at a Leafs game, let alone a ticket for the game.

Season ticket holders should get the best pricing period, single game tickets and promotions should be factored up from there.
A couple of years ago the Argonauts had a promo ad in the Sun that was actually better than what I paid for seasons which really pissed me off TBH.
Should never happen, as I've posted the people that have committed to those 7000 seats for the 2016 are gold to this organization and should be treated as such.

PullTogether73
07-24-2016, 04:40 PM
season ticket holders should get the best pricing period, single game tickets and promotions should be factored up from there.
A couple of years ago the argonauts had a promo ad in the sun that was actually better than what i paid for seasons which really pissed me off tbh.
Should never happen, as i've posted the people that have committed to those 7000 seats for the 2016 are gold to this organization and should be treated as such.

Could not agree more!!!!

Neely2005
07-24-2016, 05:20 PM
Season ticket holders should get the best pricing period, single game tickets and promotions should be factored up from there.
A couple of years ago the Argonauts had a promo ad in the Sun that was actually better than what I paid for seasons which really pissed me off TBH.
Should never happen, as I've posted the people that have committed to those 7000 seats for the 2016 are gold to this organization and should be treated as such.

Couldn't agree more!

R.J
07-24-2016, 05:28 PM
I agree, but the problem right now is that so few want to attend, so heavily discounted ticket will continue until that changes.

Downtownfan
07-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Well, take it for what it is worth, but I was talking to an Argo rep on Thursday about Grey Cup tix, and asked about sales for the game. He said that they had already surpassed what they sold for that last game "last week", and was certain that there would be a bigger crowd, though he did not say by how much. My guess is 15-18,000.

PullTogether73
07-24-2016, 10:42 PM
Well, take it for what it is worth, but I was talking to an Argo rep on Thursday about Grey Cup tix, and asked about sales for the game. He said that they had already surpassed what they sold for that last game "last week", and was certain that there would be a bigger crowd, though he did not say by how much. My guess is 15-18,000.

For me, I'm going to take the "under" on that 15,000 number (not even going to hope for 18,000).
Sadly, I'm learning not to trust the Argo ticket reps.
And I'm not confident that a Monday night game is going to be drastically better attended than a Wednesday night game.

marcwagz
07-25-2016, 02:00 AM
calling it now
there will be exactly 16,739 fans in attendance.
call me nostradamus.

Argo57
07-25-2016, 08:59 AM
For me, I'm going to take the "under" on that 15,000 number (not even going to hope for 18,000).
Sadly, I'm learning not to trust the Argo ticket reps.
And I'm not confident that a Monday night game is going to be drastically better attended than a Wednesday night game.

I'm with you, the ticket reps will put a positive spin on anything.
We're the phones ringing in the background??

OgtheDim
07-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Don't trust the ticket reps for information. Get on them for what you deserve as a SSH but as far as intel is concerned, nope.

Gill The Thrill
07-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Well, take it for what it is worth, but I was talking to an Argo rep on Thursday about Grey Cup tix, and asked about sales for the game.

I definitely would not take a reps word about Grey Cup tickets, they just want all of us to run and get our Grey Cup tickets. I'm not going to pay $170 to sit in a portable grandstand. The seats probably aren't bad but they're in the end zone, and I don't want to pay $300 a seat for my season ticket. I'll take my chances that some fans will want to be getting rid of tickets and that the game won't be sold out, if I really want to pay the over-inflated prices at the box office.

Not one friggin penny off for season ticket holders...I guess that would take away from the overhead of giving the STH those lanyards in our season ticket package.Yah, new ownership really values their season ticket holders.:biteme: As for selling more than 15,000 tickets for Grey Cup in week one of selling...what's the celebration. This game used to be sold out already when they played the game in a 50,000 seat venue. It's not my fault or SSH fault that they decided to scale back capacity but charge more for tickets. I can't justify it, and I love the CFL.

On a football note, I got to admit it may be more enticing should the Argos get to the game, but I see the same inconsistencies this year that I saw last year. Poor Secondary, inconsistent tackling by the entire defense and special teams and a boring offence that can't get on rhythm consistently. The Argos have done great showcasing these imperfections at BMO Field especially. I hope that changes tonight.

Gill The Thrill
07-25-2016, 03:20 PM
I'm with you, the ticket reps will put a positive spin on anything.
We're the phones ringing in the background??

I remember being able to hear a pin drop when I chose my season tickets at the Argos offices. I'm not stating this to gloat or ridicule, but stating it as fact and it was after lunch on a Friday. On the plus side, they were cordial and answered all my question efficiently.

Invader
07-25-2016, 07:17 PM

Neely2005
07-25-2016, 11:13 PM
I definitely would not take a reps word about Grey Cup tickets, they just want all of us to run and get our Grey Cup tickets. I'm not going to pay $170 to sit in a portable grandstand. The seats probably aren't bad but they're in the end zone, and I don't want to pay $300 a seat for my season ticket. I'll take my chances that some fans will want to be getting rid of tickets and that the game won't be sold out, if I really want to pay the over-inflated prices at the box office.

Not one friggin penny off for season ticket holders...I guess that would take away from the overhead of giving the STH those lanyards in our season ticket package.Yah, new ownership really values their season ticket holders.:biteme: As for selling more than 15,000 tickets for Grey Cup in week one of selling...what's the celebration. This game used to be sold out already when they played the game in a 50,000 seat venue. It's not my fault or SSH fault that they decided to scale back capacity but charge more for tickets. I can't justify it, and I love the CFL.

On a football note, I got to admit it may be more enticing should the Argos get to the game, but I see the same inconsistencies this year that I saw last year. Poor Secondary, inconsistent tackling by the entire defense and special teams and a boring offence that can't get on rhythm consistently. The Argos have done great showcasing these imperfections at BMO Field especially. I hope that changes tonight.

Grey Cup tickets don't go on sale to the general public until August 15th.

larz-7
07-25-2016, 11:19 PM
so what was the attendance, was hard to tell on tv

PullTogether73
07-25-2016, 11:44 PM
so what was the attendance, was hard to tell on tv

16,048 according to the game recap on CFL.ca

Will
07-26-2016, 12:42 AM
16,048 according to the game recap on CFL.ca

Definitely looked better than last game.

Double Dare
07-26-2016, 07:45 AM
I was off by a thou.

PullTogether73
07-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Definitely looked better than last game.

And a good atmosphere.
The crowd was definitely loud and involved in the game.
Nice!

ArgoGabe22
07-26-2016, 10:07 AM
calling it now
there will be exactly 16,739 fans in attendance.
call me nostradamus.

You were pretty close.

It was still a great atmosphere for only 16k. It was dead when we had 16k in the dome.

doubleblue
07-26-2016, 01:14 PM
You were pretty close.

It was still a great atmosphere for only 16k. It was dead when we had 16k in the dome.

Almost 17,000 which leaves them pretty close to the break even number, (we were told) of 18,000 after 3 games.

Double Dare
07-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Almost 17,000 which leaves them pretty close to the break even number, (we were told) of 18,000 after 3 games.16,048 ... closer to 16 thousand.

R.J
07-26-2016, 01:28 PM
East side looked consideraby fuller than last game, but the West Stands looked more empty than last game. Great Atmosphere though and pretty loud considering we didn't even hit 20k.

I think next season I'm going to the West Side; I'm not liking the sun and heat.

Will
07-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Almost 17,000 which leaves them pretty close to the break even number, (we were told) of 18,000 after 3 games.

How many tickets were comped yesterday though?

ArgoGabe22
07-26-2016, 02:13 PM
For the record, I did not see anyone playing Pokemon. That being said I guess all it takes is a second to catch it so it's hard to tell who was doing it or who was just being on their phone.

R.J
07-26-2016, 02:19 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/black-argos-creating-new-culture-in-new-era-at-bmo-field-1.532419

Jayahre
07-26-2016, 03:16 PM
The next game August 12th will be the first Friday night game, it will be interesting to see how much of an increase

Kenners
07-26-2016, 04:35 PM
I had a helluva lotta fun yesterday and it did seem a lot fuller than what i saw on tv for the last game (gave my tix to some associates) which surprised me considering it was a Monday but people had fun. Great to see the a home win too!

for the record, i couldn't find any pokemon other than a squirrel in the endzone....and yes i looked between quarters lol

Ron
07-26-2016, 05:02 PM
Argos getting 16+ on a night that the Jays got 41+ is not bad all things considered

Downtownfan
07-26-2016, 05:24 PM
The vibe was actually pretty good last night, especially for a Monday night. I think we have passed through the toughest part of the sked, and in fact, what may have been the most challenging dates for some time to come.

The rest of the season looks like this:
Friday Aug. 12, 7:30: WPG-- should get a good nighttime crowd for the only FNF at BMO this season. Will be a bit of a party atmosphere on a Friday, and with nearly a month between games, should sell well. I'm going to say 18-20K
Saturday Aug. 20, 4:00: EDM-- not a great draw, but perfect for full on tail-gating for the first time this season-- weekend daytime, should be lots of young ones at this game too, especially with the Ex on (Argos tix get you into the Ex). Hopefully 20K+
Wednesday Aug. 31, 7:30: BC-- Usually one of the worst draws, and on a Wednesday to boot, which does not bode well. However, this will also be during the Ex, which might boost sales, though in cutting down parking, it makes it tough for further away people. Could be the one other problem on the sked. 18K
Sunday, Sept. 11, 4:30: HAM-- Labour Day return game, the first one at the new Stadium, with full on tail-gating on a Sunday. If Argos and Ham are duking it out, this one will do well. 23K
Monday, Oct. 10, 4:00: CAL--a month after the last game, on Monday, and against a tough opponent, but on Thanksgiving. Early enough that this one will be tail-gate primo, and if the weather is still holding out (it should), a good crowd would be at least 20K.
Saturday Oct. 15, 4:00: SASK--short week turnaround, but on a Saturday, which is good. Let's see if SASK really does travel well. 22K.

Next year, with no compacting of the TFC sked, we can look forward to hopefully much better dates, which will make a difference. I was really down after the Ottawa game, but was fairly happy with last night, both in terms of the result, and the crowd. Its a long build, but I think we are going in the right direction. At some point, people won't talk about attendance, as we will hit a pretty good norm. That's when we will have permanently moved the goalposts in a positive direction.

ArgoGabe22
07-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Was the Argos EX game in the past just one game? I'm seeing two this year and maybe this was done to expose the Argos to as much people as possible. Do the schedulers even think this?

AngeloV
07-26-2016, 07:46 PM
Was the Argos EX game in the past just one game? I'm seeing two this year and maybe this was done to expose the Argos to as much people as possible. Do the schedulers even think this?

Throughout the 80's it was just 1 game.

Neely2005
07-26-2016, 09:14 PM
How many tickets were comped yesterday though?

It doesn't sound like they're giving away regular season tickets, just promotions.

ArgoGabe22
07-26-2016, 10:42 PM
It doesn't sound like they're giving away regular season tickets, just promotions.

These look like game tickets to me.

http://i.imgur.com/Gr9fho8.jpg

Will
07-26-2016, 11:09 PM
Throughout the 80's it was just 1 game.

Usually against the Tiger-Cats.

PullTogether73
07-26-2016, 11:11 PM

16,048 ... closer to 16 thousand.

Serious spin there doubleblue.
I'll suggest an alternative in keeping with Double Dare's comment - "Barely 16,000".

PullTogether73
07-26-2016, 11:23 PM
I think next season I'm going to the West Side; I'm not liking the sun and heat.

Smart move imo.
Just think that the 3 home games so far have been evening games. The heat declines and the sun is down before the game ends.
Wait for weekend afternoon games!

Gill The Thrill
07-29-2016, 01:33 PM

These look like game tickets to me.

http://i.imgur.com/Gr9fho8.jpg They advertised this on TSN radio 1050 afternoon drive as Kate gave out 25 pairs of tix to the game in Liberty Village.

Footballdude
07-29-2016, 01:41 PM
They advertised this on TSN radio 1050 afternoon drive as Kate gave out 25 pairs of tix to the game in Liberty Village.

This is normal operating procedures for any sports business. Even the Leafs give 10% of their Tickets out to Corp partners and giveaways. This is the first time in years, that the Argos are protecting the STB. Attendance numbers are very close to real tickets sold and it will remain like that for the rest of the season

1argoholic
07-31-2016, 07:23 PM
Kate looks pretty cute there in Argo blue. For all of you single guys, she's single!!!!

ArgoZ
08-01-2016, 09:29 AM
Kate looks pretty cute there in Argo blue. For all of you single guys, she's single!!!!

How would people deal with a girlfriend that knew more about sports than them? It would be pretty cool to get all the inside info around sports from your wife at the dinner table though.

1argoholic
08-01-2016, 06:35 PM
It would be great getting all the low down on the sports world. Even the juicy stuff they don't talk about on air. Single guys it couldn't hurt to try the next time she's handing out Argo tics at a bar. Just not when you're slobbering drunk. Chicks don't dig that.

Will
08-12-2016, 07:50 AM
Looking like a rough crowd based on Ticketmaster. Plenty of available seats on upper deck west side which isn't a good sign.

Neely2005
08-12-2016, 09:53 PM
If they keep playing like garbage at home why would anyone bother to show up?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8