PDA

View Full Version : July 23, 2016: Hamilton Tiger-Cats @ Edmonton Eskimos Game Thread

Will
07-20-2016, 08:17 AM
I do not like Hamilton's chances on the road against Edmonton.

R.J
07-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Hamilton without Collaros is an inconsistent team at best. Edmonton's defence hasn't gotten much better; being better against the Bombers doesn't mean much to me. Edmonton should win at home and with their offence, but Hamilton is well coached and if Masoli can rein in the turnovers; the Ticats might actually pull of a win.

Argo
07-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Hamilton without Collaros is an inconsistent team at best. Edmonton's defence hasn't gotten much better; being better against the Bombers doesn't mean much to me. Edmonton should win at home and with their offence, but Hamilton is well coached and if Masoli can rein in the turnovers; the Ticats might actually pull of a win.

Cannot disagree with any of this.

ArgoRavi
07-20-2016, 04:17 PM
Will Hamilton's o-line be able to handle Edmonton's d-line?

OV Argo
07-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Will Hamilton's o-line be able to handle Edmonton's d-line?

More like the other way around Ravi. Masoli could have all day and it's not like he is going to kill any defence with his passing arm. OTOH - give Reilly time and with that receiving corps, they will light you up for big passing yards (what's his per game average this far this season?) But the Esks O-line faces a big challenge against IMO the best D-line in the league right now; taking heat off with lots of ground game could help the Esks offence, but I'm not sure Maas as an offensive "thinker" really grasps that.

R.J
07-21-2016, 07:05 PM
Reilly average is 408.67 yards per game.
71.3 completion %, 1226 yards, 7 TDs, 2 Ints, 10 avg yards per throw.

Argo57
07-23-2016, 07:25 PM
Edmonton's receiving unit is extremely impressive, Reilly looks dialled in.
Let's hope it continues!!

gilthethrill
07-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Someone please explain to me how Masoli and crew embarrassed the Argos in week 1?

Argo57
07-23-2016, 08:48 PM
Someone please explain to me how Masoli and crew embarrassed the Argos in week 1?

The Argos have a habit of doing this, I was thinking the same thing.

Gill The Thrill
07-23-2016, 09:44 PM
I walked away from this game at the half at 24-3. Turned it back at 31-13 and can't believe it.

This record can't mean as much as it used to. Masoli has completed 23 in a row, but with help from the officials on at least 2 of them. These pass interference calls are getting ridiculous imo.

Gill The Thrill
07-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Someone please explain to me how Masoli and crew embarrassed the Argos in week 1?do you need an explanation now. This Edmonton secondary is as weak as the Argos. That in conjunction with the call every deep pass defensive Pass interference and you have your answer. The Eskies do miss Chris Jones, but he did take personnel, both on and off the field with him.

Gill The Thrill
07-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Reilly had to work for that yd on 3rd down.

Can't believe this Eskimo offensive line is getting demolished in the 2nd half. Especially after giving Reilly all sorts of protection in the first half.

argosrule2415
07-23-2016, 09:59 PM
Wow...that was disappointing to watch. Can't believe the Ti-cats pulled that one out. Eskimos just flatlined in that second half and made Masoli look like a hall of famer. Awesome catch by Owens on that two point convert.

gilthethrill
07-23-2016, 10:00 PM
do you need an explanation now. This Edmonton secondary is as weak as the Argos. That in conjunction with the call every deep pass defensive Pass interference and you have your answer. The Eskies do miss Chris Jones, but he did take personnel, both on and off the field with him.

I also turned the tv off at halftime. When I tuned back in during the 4th I threw up in my mouth.

matchuk
07-23-2016, 10:01 PM
damn ticats....i can't believe they came back in that one...

i hate hamilton so much

1argoholic
07-23-2016, 10:02 PM
WOOOW!!! What a comeback as Edmonton will need a new field after crapping all over it in the second half. What the hell happened to blow the play down on that Hamilton fumble recovery late. Edmonton got a penalty and the ref blew the play dead. What am I missing here?

That's for SQUAT Edmonchuk.

Chad Owens with the Catch Of The Year on that two pointer. Could be better then that one last year. Jumps high while going backwards and reaches with one had between the db's two hands and grabs and pulls in the ball. KILLER!!!!!

Gill The Thrill
07-23-2016, 10:05 PM
Will Masoli be another Kent Austin or Danny MacManus, or will he be another Marvin Graves, who also had a big comeback in his career. Maybe he'll end being an in-between starter and backup like Kevin Glenn.

argotom
07-23-2016, 10:08 PM
That was a typical awesome CFL game.
The game of the year, the comeback of the year and perhaps the best QB performance of the year.
How do you sit Masoli the next game if Zach comes back?

R.J
07-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Edmonton came out with a solid game plan early on and looked at though this game was in hand, but I have to give a lot of credit to Austin and Steinauer for making the right adjustments in the second half and outcoaching Maas and Benevides. Benevides really needs to fix that defence; I counted 4 times where a receiver was left wide open to make a big play.

OV Argo
07-23-2016, 10:28 PM
WOW !!! - just wow - nice to watch one of the greatest CFL comebacks of all time.

Kudos to Masoli - one of the greatest all-time CFL single game QB performances (breaks the consecutive pass completion record); this guy is wayyyy better than I first thought (and looked good in the play-offs last year); superb catches by Fantuz on the TD and the Chad on the 2 pointer !!!

Ticats won with good coaching on top of the play of Masoli - maybe OC Ptaszek deserves some recognition (always seemed a sharp offensive mind in his CIS coaching days = real sharp/smart offence as OC with Laurier to win a Vanier and then gets it done as HC in a Vanier too); boos to Benevedes and the Esks D to get just shredded in the 2nd half - they have a few real top notch players on D (Sherritt, Sewell, Watkins for example), but clearly are not a solid unit. Reilly looked great early (Bowman & Walker are a real dangerous receiving duo), but credit to Steinauer and the Ticats D for taking it away in the 2nd half.

1argoholic
07-23-2016, 10:30 PM
I forgot to mention Masoli who looked great in the second half. Congratulations to him on his new CFL record 23 pass completions in a row rubbing more salt in Edmonton wounds breaking records set by Mass and Ray who sat second. Masoli??? How the hell?

AngeloV
07-24-2016, 12:10 AM

The Argos have a habit of doing this, I was thinking the same thing.

LMFAO. This is classic Argofan game day thread. Just like when the Argos played in BC 2 weeks ago.

I thought only the Argos didn't know how to put a team away once they built a big early lead, eh SnowRogue?

:D

R.J
07-24-2016, 12:30 AM
LMFAO. This is classic Argofan game day thread. Just like when the Argos played in BC 2 weeks ago.

I thought only the Argos didn't know how to put a team away once they built a big early lead, eh SnowRogue?

I don't recall ever stating that the Argonauts under Milanovich were the only team to ever do this, but okie dokie.

argolio
07-24-2016, 02:45 AM
Someone please explain to me how Masoli and crew embarrassed the Argos in week 1?On any given (insert day of the week here); every game is a separate event; blah blah blah.

How do you sit Masoli the next game if Zach comes back?How do you not based on Masoli's previous few games?

Cats o-line dominated the Esks d-line in the second half. And I don't think Reilly did himself any favours throwing his helmet and yelling at his o-line in the 2nd half.

AngeloV
07-24-2016, 03:24 AM
I don't recall ever stating that the Argonauts under Milanovich were the only team to ever do this, but okie dokie.

You didn't. Just having fun with you because you were disappointed they didn't close out in blowout fashion against the Riders, and been a big fan of the Maas/Reilly combo.

Double Dare
07-24-2016, 07:14 AM
Great comeback! Who would have thunk it.
I've always liked Masoli. Imagine if they gave him free reign to run also (they don't want him to get hurt with Collaros out). I say play Masoli next game, and even if Collaros is ready, just ease him back into the game when/if needed.

Argo57
07-24-2016, 08:44 AM
That was a typical awesome CFL game.
The game of the year, the comeback of the year and perhaps the best QB performance of the year.
How do you sit Masoli the next game if Zach comes back?

Very easy, when Collaros is ready he'll be in, Masoli's issue is consistency.

Argo57
07-24-2016, 08:48 AM

This one had shades of the Panthers-Seahawks playoff game last year, each team blew the other out for half the game.
Boggles the mind how things could turn around so quick, good on Hamilton for pulling it out, if Collaros gets going like he was early last season they will be hard to stop!

Argo
07-24-2016, 10:54 AM
"Everything that can happen, will happen."

And a big shout out to the EE D...

AngeloV
07-24-2016, 10:58 AM
This one had shades of the Panthers-Seahawks playoff game last year, each team blew the other out for half the game.
Boggles the mind how things could turn around so quick, good on Hamilton for pulling it out, if Collaros gets going like he was early last season they will be hard to stop!

Yes, it was a very entertaining game. Deep down, I think I'm ashamed of myself, because I believe I was rooting for Hamilton as the comeback was continuing.

argotom
07-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Great comeback! Who would have thunk it.
I've always liked Masoli. Imagine if they gave him free reign to run also (they don't want him to get hurt with Collaros out). I say play Masoli next game, and even if Collaros is ready, just ease him back into the game when/if needed.

Agreed.
Of course, Zach is the better QB.
My point to sit him down after that performance?

Argo57
07-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Yes, it was a very entertaining game. Deep down, I think I'm ashamed of myself, because I believe I was rooting for Hamilton as the comeback was continuing.

Actually I was as well, my son came downstairs sporting his new Ticats jersey proud as could be so good on him also.
Looking forward to some football at BMO tomorrow night!!

AngeloV
07-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Actually I was as well, my son came downstairs sporting his new Ticats jersey proud as could be so good on him as well.
Looking forward to some football at BMO tomorrow night!!

Me too. Nothing like being live at a game.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8