http://www.tsn.ca/argonauts-bring-back-qb-mcpherson-1.529680

Wow

ArgoGabe22
07-20-2016, 02:16 PM
No real surprise.

R.J
07-20-2016, 02:18 PM
No real surprise.
I am. I don't understand why we even need him.

AngeloV
07-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Maybe so they can trade him to Saskatchewan.

:)

1argoholic
07-20-2016, 03:55 PM
I thought there were bringing back Michael Bishop. This is a farce already.

ArgoRavi
07-20-2016, 04:19 PM
No real surprise.

After Gale was traded, I totally expected this move. I think that most teams like to have four QBs on hand and McPherson, of course, knows the offence well.

R.J
07-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Maybe so they can trade him to Saskatchewan.

:)
I think the Riders are done trading with Barker. Out of three trades only 1 player is on the Riders active roster (King is on the 6 game), and I don't think Jones or Murphy are too happy about getting fleeced.

Reggiemac
07-20-2016, 05:56 PM
I have never seen McPherson do anything during his time in Montreal, if we want to give reps to other QBs I would rather our young guns get the reps. Hopefully he will be used as trade bait but don't know why any team would want him.

ArgoGabe22
07-20-2016, 05:59 PM
If McPherson is brought in as the 4th QB, then the young guys will get the majority of backup reps.

1argoholic
07-20-2016, 06:55 PM
This guy has stole his CFL pay check for years. He's made somewhat of a career by falling forward.

Stevoman
07-20-2016, 06:58 PM
This guy has stole his CFL pay check for years. He's made somewhat of a career by falling forward.

But no one does it better. 1st down guaranteed.

paulwoods13
07-20-2016, 07:01 PM
After Gale was traded, I totally expected this move. I think that most teams like to have four QBs on hand and McPherson, of course, knows the offence well.

That's exactly right. Carrying just three, and just one with experience, is a big risk. Always need four IMO, and two should be experienced.

Neely2005
07-20-2016, 07:41 PM
Good decision. Are some of you actually upset by this?

Ron
07-20-2016, 07:52 PM
He was very good at short yardage.

KCargosfan
07-21-2016, 02:04 AM
Are we going to dress him on game days?

Rich
07-21-2016, 10:56 AM
He was very good at short yardage.

Cody Fajardo struggled a bit with short yardage in the first game, but it looks like he's really got the hang of it now. Fajardo's a pretty sturdy guy for a QB, he plays on specials, and brings the possibility of occasionally extending a one-yard play a lot further. It would make absolutely no sense to bring McPherson back to do short yardage.

I think they're bringing him back now because Ricky got a little nicked up in the last game and they need some insurance. IIRC Ricky got up with a slight limp after getting knocked down a couple times last week.

R.J
07-21-2016, 11:13 AM
This move reeks of Milanovich and desperation.

AngeloV
07-21-2016, 11:26 AM
This move reeks of Milanovich and desperation.

No it doesn't. It's only a significant move if Ray were to get injured, and the young QB's behind him struggle. The only reason they are doing this is because they saw an opportunity to bring in a quality DE in Lemon, and had to give up Gale to get him.

I don't get why it's such a big deal.

Neely2005
07-21-2016, 11:27 AM
No it doesn't. It's only a significant move if Ray were to get injured, and the young QB's behind him struggle. The only reason they are doing this is because they saw an opportunity to bring in a quality DE in Lemon, and had to give up Gale to get him.

It's not a big deal. It's a minor move for depth. He's our 4th string quarterback.

R.J
07-21-2016, 11:32 AM

Another waste of a roster spot IMO. Why not bring in another young QB ?
If Milanovich and Barker have little faith in the young guys should Ray go down, then why even bring back McPherson ? Does anyone honestly think he's a good enough QB ?

It's not a big deal. It's a minor move for depth. He's our 4th string quarterback.
Do you know that for sure ?
With the way people are talking around here McPherson is a great 3rd down QB, so wouldn't he be our 3rd stringer ?

AngeloV
07-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Another waste of a roster spot IMO. Why not bring in another young QB ?
If Milanovich and Barker have little faith in the young guys should Ray go down, then why even bring back McPherson ? Does anyone honestly think he's a good enough QB ?

Why would they need to bring in a young QB, when they already have 2 that they like? That's ridiculous. He was brought in for the same reason Gale was before him. They've been around the league for a while.

Neely2005
07-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Why would they need to bring in a young QB, when they already have 2 that they like? That's ridiculous. He was brought in for the same reason Gale was before him. They've been around the league for a while.

And like Gale he already knows the offense.

R.J
07-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Pretty clear that McPherson was brought in because he knows the offense. I find it a bit deflating that Barker continually finds good young QB's and Milanovich seems to just bring back guys (Gale and McPherson). If being a veteran was the only requirement then guys like Elliott, Marsh, Lefevour, Demarco (yes I know he's terrible lol) etc, could have been brought in.

ArgoGabe22
07-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Pretty clear that McPherson was brought in because he knows the offense. I find it a bit deflating that Barker continually finds good young QB's and Milanovich seems to just bring back guys (Gale and McPherson). If being a veteran was the only requirement then guys like Elliott, Marsh, Lefevour, Demarco (yes I know he's terrible lol) etc, could have been brought in.

I never knew SM had GM duties that can overrule Barker. You're making it seem like they are butting heads in Barker's office.

R.J
07-21-2016, 01:10 PM
I never knew SM had GM duties. You're making it seem like they are butting heads in Barker's office.
I don't think they are, but to think Milanovich doesn't have some say or doesn't have "his guys" is a bit naive IMO.

AngeloV
07-21-2016, 01:30 PM
I don't think they are, but to think Milanovich doesn't have some say or doesn't have "his guys" is a bit naive IMO.

I think you are making way too much out of it. How many teams around the league have 3 young QB's with no playing experience behind the starter? I guess Saskatchewan did, but they quickly grabbed a QB with some experience.

ArgoRavi
07-21-2016, 01:34 PM
McPherson is the definition of a "serviceable QB". He isn't a star by any means but he has started and won games in this league and is another viable option if the Argos need him to play (which is unlikely).

Rich
07-21-2016, 03:12 PM
OK let's say Ricky gets hurt and Kilgore goes in. How much patience will they have to see if he can get the job done? A couple of starts at least. If Kilgore fails then it's Fajardo's turn, right?

The point is, by the time they determined that neither Kilgore nor Fajardo could do the job, the team would be something like 2-8 or 2-10, the season would be lost for all intents and purposes, and it would be pretty useless putting McPherson in at that point.

paulwoods13
07-21-2016, 04:56 PM
QBs can and do get hurt. If RR gets hurt, I have zero doubt that Kilgore moves to No. 1. Just as Collaros (a kid with virtually no experience) moved to No. 1 in 2013 and Harris (a not young but not very experienced QB) moved to No. 1 in 2015. McPherson was here last year but he didn't get the job when RR couldn't play. So why would anyone assume he'd start now if RR got hurt? He wouldn't -- Kilgore would. But if Kilgore also got hurt, I wouldn't be surprised if McPherson played over Fajardo, and I wouldn't object to that as long as AM performed and we remained in playoff contention. Fajardo is in the very early stages of development. Collaros did not play until Year 2 and Harris did not see significant PT until Year 4. Why rush Fajardo in Year 1?

R.J
07-21-2016, 06:50 PM
OK let's say Ricky gets hurt and Kilgore goes in. How much patience will they have to see if he can get the job done? A couple of starts at least. If Kilgore fails then it's Fajardo's turn, right?

The point is, by the time they determined that neither Kilgore nor Fajardo could do the job, the team would be something like 2-8 or 2-10, the season would be lost for all intents and purposes, and it would be pretty useless putting McPherson in at that point.
True enough.

AngeloV
07-21-2016, 07:15 PM
QBs can and do get hurt. If RR gets hurt, I have zero doubt that Kilgore moves to No. 1. Just as Collaros (a kid with virtually no experience) moved to No. 1 in 2013 and Harris (a not young but not very experienced QB) moved to No. 1 in 2015. McPherson was here last year but he didn't get the job when RR couldn't play. So why would anyone assume he'd start now if RR got hurt? He wouldn't -- Kilgore would. But if Kilgore also got hurt, I wouldn't be surprised if McPherson played over Fajardo, and I wouldn't object to that as long as AM performed and we remained in playoff contention. Fajardo is in the very early stages of development. Collaros did not play until Year 2 and Harris did not see significant PT until Year 4. Why rush Fajardo in Year 1?

Exactly my feelings.

Rich
07-21-2016, 11:26 PM
Fajardo is in the very early stages of development. Collaros did not play until Year 2 and Harris did not see significant PT until Year 4. Why rush Fajardo in Year 1?

Fajardo was here for the 2nd half of the season last year, he got to learn the offence, the terminology, the whole deal. He's well beyond "the very early stages of development". I think it would be foolish not to see what Fajardo could do before you put McPherson in.

Wobbler
07-21-2016, 11:55 PM
The scenarios in which either Fajardo or McPherson would play with the game on the line are unlikely and depressing to consider. But if Ray was hurt for a while and new starter Kilgore got hurt too, it would be comforting to have both of those guys dressed. McPherson could protect a lead and calm things down, whereas Fajardo's unpredictability might allow a comeback. And in a scenario where one of them became the starter (*please no*), that could be determined in practice.

1argoholic
07-22-2016, 06:52 AM
If it came down to Fajardo and McPherson we'd have the biggest qb tandem in the league that's for sure. If we had to I'd be playing Fajardo. He's not only won everywhere he's played he was a great student. He's no dummy. I think we have a real gem that we have to bring along and can't lose.

AngeloV
07-22-2016, 10:34 AM
If it came down to Fajardo and McPherson we'd have the biggest qb tandem in the league that's for sure. If we had to I'd be playing Fajardo. He's not only won everywhere he's played he was a great student. He's no dummy. I think we have a real gem that we have to bring along and can't lose.

I'd probably play Fajardo before him too. I just don't see the harm in bringing in McPherson as well. Do I want to see him start ever? Probably not. But I have no issues with him being the "in case of emergency" QB. To me, he's similar to Jarious Jackson in 2012. You don't want them to be playing for long periods of time, but they both can do the job in short stints.

paulwoods13
07-22-2016, 12:14 PM
I'd probably play Fajardo before him too. I just don't see the harm in bringing in McPherson as well. Do I want to see him start ever? Probably not. But I have no issues with him being the "in case of emergency" QB. To me, he's similar to Jarious Jackson in 2012. You don't want them to be playing for long periods of time, but they both can do the job in short stints.

Jackson was more than adequate in 2012. IIRC Argos were something like 3-3 in Ray's absence, so he held serve. Playing Jackson over Harris and Collaros clearly didn't stunt the development of either of those guys. And arguably may have enhanced it. Sometimes throwing a QB in too soon "to see what he has" can wreck him.

gilthethrill
07-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Could we not have just kept Gale instead of recalled McPherson? I am sensing Gale is going to have a good game tonight.

AngeloV
07-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Could we not have just kept Gale instead of recalled McPherson? I am sensing Gale is going to have a good game tonight.

The opportunity to get Shawn Lemon was worth it IMO.

ArgoGabe22
07-22-2016, 02:28 PM

And Barker tried keeping Gale too but obviously couldn't do so.

gilthethrill
07-22-2016, 03:09 PM

I can't disagree with that.

paulwoods13
07-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Only on an Argo fan board would there be this much angst over which fourth-string QB we should have kept.

Ron
07-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Only on an Argo fan board would there be this much angst over which fourth-string QB we should have kept.

Barker read this board and realized he had to bring a QB he let leave return to appease the lynch mob.

argolio
07-23-2016, 12:39 AM
Only on an Argo fan board would there be this much angst over which fourth-string QB we should have kept.I'm still upset we cut Sonny Sixkiller in the 70s.

Neely2005
07-23-2016, 12:02 PM

Well at least you can't say that the Argonauts don't have passionate fans.
:-)

AngeloV
07-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Argolio, I thought you were more upset about Dan Mannucci not getting a fair shake.

argolio
07-23-2016, 02:51 PM
Argolio, I thought you were more upset about Dan Mannucci not getting a fair shake.Just looked up his CFL stats. Ugly! He certainly didn't live up to the hype when he signed.

ArgoRavi
07-24-2016, 04:01 AM
Just looked up his CFL stats. Ugly! He certainly didn't live up to the hype when he signed.

Ralph Sazio said that he would be the next Tom Clements.

AngeloV
07-24-2016, 11:09 AM

I will refrain from commenting.

;)

gilthethrill
07-24-2016, 04:50 PM

I think what the late Mr. Sazio meant by that was Mannuci would be next Tom Clements as in the lawyer...not as in Tom Clements the CFL QB.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8