PDA

View Full Version : I'm not remotely interested in these Olympics

Will
08-03-2016, 11:18 PM
I really cannot be bothered; it is hard for the summer games to catch my attention and this is no exception.

ArgoGabe22
08-03-2016, 11:22 PM
I lose more and more interest each year, including the Winter Olympics.

Will
08-03-2016, 11:24 PM
I lose more and more interest each year, including the Winter Olympics.

See, I still like the Winter Olympics, well I mean there are certain events I enjoy watching, freestyle skiing, hockey and, yes, curling. I enjoy speed skating for whatever reason as well.

Argoknot
08-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Well if this doesn't make you burst with pride I don't know what will.

Canada vs Australia (Starts at 37:37) (http://olympics.cbc.ca/video/vod/soccer-aug-women-first-round-can-aus.html)

PullTogether73
08-04-2016, 12:10 AM
I really cannot be bothered; it is hard for the summer games to catch my attention and this is no exception.

X2.

argolio
08-04-2016, 12:10 AM
We should put the women's team in men's World Cup qualifying. Can't do much worse.

PullTogether73
08-04-2016, 12:17 AM
Well if this doesn't make you burst with pride I don't know what will.

Canada vs Australia (Starts at 37:37) (http://olympics.cbc.ca/video/vod/soccer-aug-women-first-round-can-aus.html)

Scoring a goal 20 seconds into a soccer game is bloody impressive!

ArgoRavi
08-04-2016, 03:28 AM

I used to get excited about the Olympics as a kid but those days are long gone. I find myself less interested with each Olympics.

1argoholic
08-04-2016, 07:15 AM
I go on and on about soccer but really it's men's soccer that I hate. The women don't roll around like sucks. It's almost impossible to score that fast. Did Aussie forget to get on the field for the start of the game. Great start!!!

I'll get into the Olympics as I always do.

Double Dare
08-04-2016, 07:55 AM
The summer Olympics are light on the rock, and heavy on the suck!

Argoknot
08-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Scoring a goal 20 seconds into a soccer game is bloody impressive!As is playing a man down for basically the rest of the game and scoring another goal to boot when you are starting to tire out from being shorthanded.

Argoknot
08-04-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm a big fan of the Olympics but after reading the story below I might be inclined to agree with the subject of the thread.

No big time pro sports should be in the Olympics where the best will not compete. In that I include soccer, baseball, tennis, and golf, amazingly hockey and basketball have yet to suffer from that malaise. You can also include for non inclusion any event that has to be judged: skateboard and surfing are utterly ridiculous, That`s why they invented the X-Games for stuff like that. And this is coming from a guy who was in the second wave revival of skateboarding (mid 70s) after the 1960s. I bought the magazines, worshiped the idols and was about to build a half pipe, but skateboarding in the Olympics? Next up, ballroom and pole dancing and I'm not trying to be funny. Tell ya the truth, I'd rather see ballroom dancing than most of the new stuff named.

IOC adds five sports to 2020 Olympics (http://www.tsn.ca/ioc-adds-five-sports-to-2020-olympics-1.537632)
The Canadian Press August 4/2016

RIO DE JANEIRO — Baseball and softball are returning to the Olympics in 2020, while skateboarding, surfing, karate and sport climbing are joining the games for the first time.

The IOC approved the addition of the sports Wednesday for the Tokyo Games, calling it an "innovative" mix of traditional and youth-oriented events that will attract Japanese and global fans.

The five, including a combined baseball-softball bid, were put forward for inclusion last year by Tokyo organizers. Under new IOC rules, host cities can propose additional sports for their own games.

IOC members voted unanimously to accept the five sports as a package. The approval was for the Tokyo Games only.

The new sports will add 18 events and 474 athletes to the program. The Tokyo Games will now feature 33 sports and about 11,000 athletes, compared to the usual number of 28 sports and 10,500 athletes.

While men's baseball and women's softball — both highly popular in Japan — will be returning after a 12-year absence, the other sports will be making their Olympic debuts.

The IOC called it "the most comprehensive evolution of the Olympic program in modern history."

"Taken together, the five sports are an innovative combination of established and emerging, youth-focused events that are popular in Japan and will add to the legacy of the Tokyo Games," IOC President Thomas Bach said.

Baseball and softball have been off the Olympic program since the 2008 Beijing Games. The two were rejected in separate bids to return for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, so they combined forces to put forward a single bid for inclusion in Tokyo.

Men's baseball was a full part of the Olympic program from 1992 to 2008, with women's softball joining in 1996. The IOC voted them both out in 2005.

Baseball will have a six-team tournament, short of the eight-team format sought by officials from the sport's international federation. Women's softball will also have six teams. The games will be played at a shared venue In Yokohama.

"Today's historic decision by the IOC is a 'home run' for the Olympics, our sport and the Tokyo 2020 Games," said Riccardo Fraccari, president of the World Baseball Softball Confederation.

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred also welcomed the IOC vote.

"Baseball and softball are global sports that belong in the Olympics," he said, adding that their approval "will allow fans throughout the world to again enjoy baseball and softball on the Olympic stage."

Craig Cress, executive director of USA Softball, said many young players had suffered after the sport was removed from the games.

"Their hearts were broken that they weren't allowed to participate for their country at the Olympics in the sport that they had a passion for," he said. "Now, that's back. In 2020, it's our job as ambassadors of the sport to put on a great show in Tokyo."

Before the vote, several IOC members questioned whether baseball would have the world's top players at the games. While pro leagues in Japan and some other countries have agreed to shut down their seasons to send their players to the Olympics, MLB has declined to do so.

Franco Carraro, who chairs the IOC's program commission, said he hopes the international federation can still reach an agreement with MLB, in line with the deals with the NBA and NHL that brought pro basketball and ice hockey players into the Olympics.

If not, Carraro said, said it will be "difficult for baseball to be included in the future" beyond the Tokyo Games.

Fraccari said talks with MLB are "very open and going in a very good way."

"Our goal is not to appear one time but to be permanently in the program," he said. "The goal is to have the best players possible."

Skateboarding will have street and park events, and feature 80 athletes — 40 men and 40 women. In climbing, 40 competitors will take part in the disciplines of speed, bouldering and lead (also known as sport). Karate will have 80 athletes competing in men's and women's Kumite and Kata events, while surfing will have two shortboard events for 40 competitors.

The surfing competition will be held on natural waves at a beach location in Chiba prefecture.

"Our Olympic dream has now become a reality," International Surfing Association president Fernando Aguerre said. "This is a game-changing moment for surfing."

Skateboarding and sports climbing events will be held in temporary venues in urban settings in Tokyo, while karate will be contested at the Nippon Budokan in the capital.

"I've always believed that if skateboarding was properly protected and supported, its appearance on the Olympic stage could change the world," International Skateboarding Federation president Gary Ream said.

Skateboarding's approval came despite tensions between rival federations.

For the Olympics, a special "Tokyo 2020 skateboarding commission" was formed to run the sport. It is a collaboration between the International Roller Sports Federation (FIRS) and the ISF.

A lawsuit was filed last week in California by the World Skateboarding Federation (WSF). It alleged the ISF abruptly cancelled scheduled drug testing at an event last year because of fears that several riders would test positive.

The lawsuit also alleged that Ream struck up a friendly relationship with Christophe Dubi, the IOC Olympic Games executive director, and provided Dubi's son with free training at a skateboarding camp he owned.

Ron
08-04-2016, 02:44 PM
Karate will have 80 athletes competing in men's and women's Kumite

I've always liked the summer games but it's so cool the Olympics have added this death sport.

1argoholic
08-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Plenty of water sport athletes are ready and willing to take years off of their lives while preforming in a disgusting pollution filled sh!tpit of water in Rio. We're talking canoe, kayak, sailing and triathlon to name a few. So the least we can do in watch. haha.

R.J
08-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Kumite ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCYgQR5PEzA

Deerkeeper
08-04-2016, 04:56 PM
I'm looking forward to the games. It will be nice to have a sports option for a few weeks that does not have the name "National" or "American" or "Major" in front of it. I may not be watching as close as I have in the past as some good things have been happening with my life so I'm not following sports that closely and that includes the CFL but I'll be watching as much as I can. I'm particularly excited about the Athletics. For the first time in a long time - maybe the first time ever - the Canadian Track & Field team has several very serious medal contenders. It will be fun to see how they perform on the big stage.

1argoholic
08-04-2016, 07:27 PM
Deerkeeper you can't live people hanging like that! What's exciting and great? I'm thinking married or baby or lottery win?

Hopefully I'll have exciting news after the Lotto Max draw. haha.

Argo57
08-04-2016, 08:39 PM
The scene at the Olympics this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM

Double Dare
08-05-2016, 07:15 AM
Plenty of water sport athletes are ready and willing to take years off of their lives while preforming in a disgusting pollution filled sh!tpit of water in Rio. We're talking canoe, kayak, sailing and triathlon to name a few. So the least we can do in watch. haha. Mr. Floatie the brown shark of Rio.

1argoholic
08-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Here's the famous Mr. Floatie from Victoria BC. Victoria's sewage still gets pumped into the ocean. Never mind Rio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-NWbzB3ut0

Wobbler
08-06-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm enjoying it so far. This has been a very "streamable" commercial-free Summer Olympics, and I had fun watching a few selected events (boxing, volleyball, swimming) today.

There has been a lot of over-the-top alarmism about Rio and Brazil leading up the Games, but they're doing fine. Why anyone would wish ill on a developing* country is beyond me.

(*Yes, yes, "recently industrialized")

1argoholic
08-07-2016, 06:49 PM
It's been fun and I always get into it. Today's woman's beach volleyball between Canada and The Netherlands was just WOOOW! what a bunch of absolute knockouts. I swear they don't let you into the sport unless you're easy on the eyes. The volleyball was great as well.

How about the Canadian men sweeping the US in traditional volleyball. They must blast that ball at 100km an hour on those spikes. Fun stuff.

ArgoRavi
08-08-2016, 12:38 AM
The best story of Sunday was Iraq holding on to tie Brazil in soccer. How in the world does Iraq get its men's soccer team into the Olympics while Canada can't even get close?

ArgoZ
08-08-2016, 04:40 AM
The best story of Sunday was Iraq holding on to tie Brazil in soccer. How in the world does Iraq get its men's soccer team into the Olympics while Canada can't even get close?

I don't understand how the nations are selected for the Olympics. Canada's National Men's team is currently still playing qualifying games for the 2018 World Cup. Their next match is Sept 2.

shayman
08-08-2016, 01:57 PM
I don't understand how the nations are selected for the Olympics. Canada's National Men's team is currently still playing qualifying games for the 2018 World Cup. Their next match is Sept 2.

I was curious too. Here's how the 16 mens teams got to the Olympics
Host country (Brazil)
2015 South American Youth champion (Argentina)
2015 UEFA Euro Under-21 champion (Denmark, Germany, Portugal, Sweden)
2015 Pacific Games (Fiji)
2015 CONCACAF qualifying (Honduras, Mexico)
2015 Africa U-23 Cup (Algeria, Nigeria, South Africa )
2016 AFC U-23 (Iraq, Japan, South Korea)
2016 CONCACAF-CONMEBOL playoff (Colombia)

More here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics#Qualification

Wobbler
08-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the info, shayman. Canada needs to find a way to get into the Pacific Games - I think we could take Fiji!

gilthethrill
08-08-2016, 06:45 PM
What county if favored to take gold in Men's Handball?

Wobbler
08-08-2016, 10:56 PM
I can't answer that question, but I just saw what the poor Egyptian women's beach volleyball team are wearing in competition. Damn... that must be awful. I'm going to try to watch the Egypt-Canada match on Thursday, and I'll be cheering for both teams.

1argoholic
08-08-2016, 11:26 PM
I had to look at what Wobbler was talking about in regards to the Egyptian women's volleyball team. At least they look like athletic wear. Good for them even though they must roast. I can see SNL skit ahead though.

Wobbler
08-09-2016, 12:39 AM
I had to look at what Wobbler was talking about in regards to the Egyptian women's volleyball team. At least they look like athletic wear. Good for them even though they must roast.
Thanks, 1argoholic, and noted.

Double Dare
08-09-2016, 07:47 AM
My favourite Canadian athlete: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/olympics/this-canadian-swimmer-flips-off-his-father-before-every-race/ar-BBvpMem?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignoutmd

ArgoZ
08-09-2016, 12:37 PM
I was curious too. Here's how the 16 mens teams got to the Olympics
Host country (Brazil)
2015 South American Youth champion (Argentina)
2015 UEFA Euro Under-21 champion (Denmark, Germany, Portugal, Sweden)
2015 Pacific Games (Fiji)
2015 CONCACAF qualifying (Honduras, Mexico)
2015 Africa U-23 Cup (Algeria, Nigeria, South Africa )
2016 AFC U-23 (Iraq, Japan, South Korea)
2016 CONCACAF-CONMEBOL playoff (Colombia)

More here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics#Qualification

Interesting. A mix of mostly young, amateur tournaments. This is probably why the Olympic competition is viewed by many as not very significant, however it provides excellent experience for the athletes involved. Not only did Canada not qualify, but also the USA, who can field a very good team at the national level.

For anyone interested, Canada's next game on Sept 2 against Honduras is considered a must win, if they are to qualify for Russia in 2018. A win puts them into the final stage, the furthest they have been in 20 years, so it's a big deal. Also of note, the team has decided on playing home games at BC place rather than BMO. Home crowd support and wind conditions were the deciding factors, not grass surface, believe it or not.

1argoholic
08-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Thankfully Canadian Women Kick Ass because the men have done squat. How about the women's soccer team beating powerhouse Germany. The men will never do that. I think any funding should be pulled from sports like men's soccer or basketball because they never accomplish anything. For years both have done nothing. Obviously they don't deserve the funding. Put funding towards sports that are showing growth. Have to admit I enjoy the women's soccer. They play a tougher game as they typically don't roll around trying fake injuries to get the other team carded.

It would be nice to see sports like Handball which are killer or more Waterpolo. I have two nieces from Calgary who play it at a fairly high level.

I've enjoyed The Olymipic's for the most part. Even that swim by Phelps shutting up his big mouthed rival from South Africa. I'm not even a Phelps fan but it was fun to watch.

Oh well into the screaming heat to water a clients garden and harvest cucs and zucs. There's a crap load every two days from those crazy plants.

ArgoRavi
08-10-2016, 04:37 PM
Thankfully Canadian Women Kick Ass because the men have done squat. How about the women's soccer team beating powerhouse Germany. The men will never do that. I think any funding should be pulled from sports like men's soccer or basketball because they never accomplish anything. For years both have done nothing. Obviously they don't deserve the funding. Put funding towards sports that are showing growth. Have to admit I enjoy the women's soccer. They play a tougher game as they typically don't roll around trying fake injuries to get the other team carded.

It would be nice to see sports like Handball which are killer or more Waterpolo. I have two nieces from Calgary who play it at a fairly high level.

I've enjoyed The Olymipic's for the most part. Even that swim by Phelps shutting up his big mouthed rival from South Africa. I'm not even a Phelps fan but it was fun to watch.

Oh well into the screaming heat to water a clients garden and harvest cucs and zucs. There's a crap load every two days from those crazy plants.

I still believe that Canada needs its own domestic men's soccer league as the MLS has no interest in developing Canadian players. Yeah, I know that TFC has some academy but a full Canadian Soccer League, like we had in the late 1980s, is what is necessary to give us a chance to develop a solid national team. Of course, the question becomes would a city like Toronto support a team in a Canadian-only league?

Wobbler
08-10-2016, 10:58 PM
It's nice to cheer for Canadians when they are in contention (and feel awful for them when they don't quite make it, as with the women's gymnastic team), but there have been plenty of great performances by athletes from everywhere. I love watching stuff like the 56 kg men's weightlifting, where tiny guys lift three times their body weight.

...and the Canadian 4x200 freestyle relay team just won a bronze. That's a lot of strong swimming.

1argoholic
08-11-2016, 12:06 AM
We have our own swimming star in the making with that 16 year old who has three medals in the pool and really helped lead us to that last bronze. She's going to dominate in four years if everything goes right.

1argoholic
08-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Did anyone catch what Byron McDonald said after the Canadian women won bronze in the pool last night? He is the expert colour guy for CBC swimming. I walked out of the room and came back to hear him talking and it was obvious that he thought the mikes were off. It was a relay race and Canada beat China for third. Bryon said " That Chinese girl went out like a rocket and then died like a pig, good for us". I phoned my mom as I knew she was watching but she didn't hear it. Holy Shit man what are you thinking??? I was floored and knew right away that he thought the mikes where off.
Up until them McDonald has been a wealth of info and he knows swimming inside and out.

argolio
08-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Elliotte Friedman is a fine journalist. Not so good on play-by-play.

Wobbler
08-12-2016, 12:13 AM
Canada has a gold medal at last! I missed it, but Penny Oleksiak must have been pretty amazing to set an Olympic record. Kudos to 1argoholic for predicting her success.

argolio
08-12-2016, 12:31 AM
Canada has a gold medal at last! I missed it, but Penny Oleksiak must have been pretty amazing to set an Olympic record. Kudos to 1argoholic for predicting her success.I think she was 7th at the turn, so quite the comeback. And she's only 16. Who knows what she can do if she keeps at it.

Wobbler
08-12-2016, 12:36 AM
I think she was 7th at the turn, so quite the comeback.
Really?! Damn, I'll try to find a replay.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/simone-manuel-penny-oleksiak-tie-gold-100m-freestyle

Wow.

1argoholic
08-12-2016, 12:53 AM
WOW her race was something see. To be in 7th in such a fast race at the turn with only 50 left and she's only 16. The numbers add up to GOLD. What a great young star. I can't wait until four years from now. We could have the female version of Phelps. Speaking of Phelps did Friedman and McDonald BLOOOW the call on Phelps last gold medal. They got the two Americans mixed up and they thought Phelps didn't medal. I was floored but then they finally clued in as Phelps celebrated.

shayman
08-12-2016, 11:31 AM
WOW her race was something see. To be in 7th in such a fast race at the turn with only 50 left and she's only 16. The numbers add up to GOLD. What a great young star. I can't wait until four years from now. We could have the female version of Phelps. Speaking of Phelps did Friedman and McDonald BLOOOW the call on Phelps last gold medal. They got the two Americans mixed up and they thought Phelps didn't medal. I was floored but then they finally clued in as Phelps celebrated.

To his credit, Friedman immediately owned up to it on twitter.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/763926803811409920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

1argoholic
08-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Another great performance by a Canadian gal as Rosie MacClennan repeats as Gold Medal winner in Trampoline.

paulwoods13
08-12-2016, 04:11 PM
To his credit, Friedman immediately owned up to it on twitter.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/763926803811409920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pretty sure Friedman also called Penny Oleksiak by a different last name as she motored towards gold last night. To be fair, I understand he was a last-minute replacement for an ailing Steve Armitage at the pool, and he has not done much play-by-play of any sort before. And he's an outstanding broadcaster, miles better than the annoying motormouth he has been paired with in Rio.

1argoholic
08-12-2016, 05:06 PM
If Byron McDonald put head under water and starting blabbering he'd be faster across that pool then Phelps. He'd be like a 150 horse Evinrude.haha

Deerkeeper
08-13-2016, 08:53 PM
One thing I was really hoping for in these Olympics was for someone to ram a soccer ball down the arrogant throats of the US Womens soccer team. THANK-YOU SWEDEN!!!

AngeloV
08-14-2016, 02:11 AM
Admittedly, I haven't paid too much attention to the Olympics this year. Having said that, I just found out that wrestling was taken out. That is ridiculous. Wrestling was probably the original Olympic sport. The IOC is really F'd up.

Wobbler
08-14-2016, 03:17 AM
One thing I was really hoping for in these Olympics was for someone to ram a soccer ball down the arrogant throats of the US Womens soccer team. THANK-YOU SWEDEN!!!
That's... kinda disturbing. Do you have an issue with women, deerkeeper?

ArgoRavi
08-14-2016, 04:10 AM
I haven't watched a whole lot although I have tried on a couple of days to get into it. The green water in the diving pool is disturbing though. I hope that it is safe.

Double Dare
08-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Admittedly, I haven't paid too much attention to the Olympics this year. Having said that, I just found out that wrestling was taken out. That is ridiculous. Wrestling was probably the original Olympic sport. The IOC is really F'd up. But they have skateboarding. : ) Going for a younger audience?

Double Dare
08-14-2016, 06:42 AM
That's... kinda disturbing. Do you have an issue with women, deerkeeper? I think he is referring to Solo's comments: https://www.thestar.com/sports/olympics/2016/08/13/hope-solo-trolled-by-swedish-media-for-olympic-coward-comments.html

Argo57
08-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Admittedly, I haven't paid too much attention to the Olympics this year. Having said that, I just found out that wrestling was taken out. That is ridiculous. Wrestling was probably the original Olympic sport. The IOC is really F'd up.

Oh I don't know about that, I was out of my chair cheering at the Olympic "Horse Dancing" the other day.
I also had to shut it down watching the golf, to much adrenaline I guess.

PullTogether73
08-14-2016, 10:05 AM

That's... kinda disturbing. Do you have an issue with women, deerkeeper?

Totally agree with Deerkeeper.
U.S. Women's soccer team is an arrogant bunch.
It was good to see them knocked out.
Hope Solo merely lived up to her arrogant, entitled persona with her comments.

Great irony that their former coach beat them (now coaches Sweden FYI).

Argoknot
08-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Pretty sure Friedman also called Penny Oleksiak by a different last name as she motored towards gold last night. And he's an outstanding broadcaster, miles better than the annoying motormouth he has been paired with in Rio.If you're seriously talking about Byron MacDonald then my respect for your judgment couldn't get much lower. Yeah, Byron pulled a fair sized boner regarding the Chinese swimmer but one of those every thirty years I can live with. And the fact that what he said was construed by some as racist to Chinese people shows even more how f'ed up our society is.

"Annoying motormouths" don't get invited back time after time after time. They are there because they are good at what they do, aside from a gaff every thirty years or so.

I should also say with the advent of streaming, I've heard all sorts of things: mic checks, prep work by commentators, before they went on the air.

It was a lesson I learned from Bob Burns (Winnipeg DJ and first Guess Who manager) that whenever you walk through the studio door (or location set) you should consider yourself "ON", I was going to say "HOT" but that would be misconstrued today.

Argoknot
08-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Admittedly, I haven't paid too much attention to the Olympics this year. Having said that, I just found out that wrestling was taken out. That is ridiculous. Wrestling was probably the original Olympic sport. The IOC is really F'd up.It is ridiculous, this coming from someone who dabbled a bit in the sport. There are things that can be done to jazz it up a bit as many sports have without hurting it's integrity (please no WWE comments)

Possible cancellation (from Wikipedia)

Because of some costs, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has been under pressure to reduce the number of events and the number of athletes in each summer game. The IOC had adopted a system where "core sports" would continue indefinitely in future Olympics, but "non-core" sports would be selected for inclusion on an Olympic game-by-game basis. Wrestling had been one of the 26 core sports. However, following the 2012 London Olympics, the IOC's Executive Committee conducted a study of the 26 core sports in terms of their success at the London Olympics as well as world-wide grassroots support. The study sought to trim one core sport so that starting with the 2020 Olympics, only 25 core sports would continue to make room for one non-core sport. On February 12, 2013, the IOC Executive Board voted to recommend that wrestling be dropped as a core sport.

The international federation that governs wrestling (then known as FILA and now as United World Wrestling) responded with a statement the same day:

FILA was greatly astonished by today's recommendation of the IOC Executive Board not to maintain wrestling among the 25 core sports for the 2020 Olympic Games. FILA will take all necessary measures to convince the IOC Executive Board and IOC members of the aberration of such decision against one of the founding sports of the ancient and modern Olympic Games.

On February 15, FILA held an emergency meeting and its President, Raphaël Martinetti, asked for a vote of confidence. When only 50% of his Board voted to support him, he resigned as FILA President. Although wrestlers would be able to continue to compete in the World Games, United States wrestlers expressed grave disappointment at the possibility that they could be excluded from future Olympics.

Wrestling had to compete with seven other non-core sports—baseball/softball, squash, karate, sport climbing, wakeboarding, wushu and roller sports—for a place in the 2020 Games. On September 8, 2013, the IOC announced that wrestling had won the bid as a non-core sport and would remain part of the 2020 Summer Olympics. Nenad Lalović, the new president of FILA, was largely credited with bringing the sport back into contention after wrestling made the short list in May. Lalović following the announcement stated, "Normally this is done in a few years, we did it in a few months. It was a question of our survival" and that, "We did all we could, we changed our sport and the federation was successful. We continue to work tomorrow."

Double Dare
08-14-2016, 06:05 PM
In 2020 Karaoke will be a sport.
The IOC sucks!

Deerkeeper
08-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Way to go Andre. This only the beginning.

paulwoods13
08-15-2016, 11:22 AM
If you're seriously talking about Byron MacDonald then my respect for your judgment couldn't get much lower. Yeah, Byron pulled a fair sized boner regarding the Chinese swimmer but one of those every thirty years I can live with. And the fact that what he said was construed by some as racist to Chinese people shows even more how f'ed up our society is.

"Annoying motormouths" don't get invited back time after time after time. They are there because they are good at what they do, aside from a gaff every thirty years or so.

I actually don't care that he made a gaffe -- it happens to the best of them. But Byron just wouldn't shut up. It's as if he thought he was the play-by-play guy rather than doing colour. Elliotte could barely get a word in at times. As for individuals being invited back because they are good, generally that's true. But there's still Rod Black, who is good at many sports, but simply awful at football play by play.

Argoknot
08-15-2016, 11:51 AM
I actually don't care that he made a gaffe -- it happens to the best of them. But Byron just wouldn't shut up. It's as if he thought he was the play-by-play guy rather than doing colour. Elliotte could barely get a word in at times. As for individuals being invited back because they are good, generally that's true. But there's still Rod Black, who is good at many sports, but simply awful at football play by play.Byron MacDonald was part of that stable of excellent colour people CBC had developed over the years: Irene MacDonald (diving), Aldo Roy (weightlifting),
Geoff Gowan (track) to name a few.

Elliotte is a great reporter but he's no PBP guy, not yet at least. Through no fault of his own he was thrown in there, but frankly I'd rather they switch roles with Byron providing most of the commentary and Elliotte the fill. The blend we're looking for here is flowing conversation not encyclopedic knowledge. It doesn't have to be one does PBP and the other does colour. Sometimes they do spill over and you will have a colour guy finish the call instead of disrupting the conversation.

Will
08-15-2016, 12:23 PM
I confess that I watched the 100 m finals yesterday.

paulwoods13
08-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Byron MacDonald was part of that stable of excellent colour people CBC had developed over the years: Irene MacDonald (diving), Aldo Roy (weightlifting),
Geoff Gowan (track) to name a few.

Elliotte is a great reporter but he's no PBP guy, not yet at least. Through no fault of his own he was thrown in there, but frankly I'd rather they switch roles with Byron providing most of the commentary and Elliotte the fill. The blend we're looking for here is flowing conversation not encyclopedic knowledge. It doesn't have to be one does PBP and the other does colour. Sometimes they do spill over and you will have a colour guy finish the call instead of disrupting the conversation.

Gowan is a great example how it is supposed to work. He never stepped over Wittman, and he always brought valuable insights to the discussion. I don't remember what Byron was like in the past, but last week it was as if he decided Friedman was not up to the task so he was going to do 80% of the talking. And all of it at 100 miles an hour.

Argoknot
08-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Only from the little I did catch, Elliotte wasn't up to the task, his calls were understandably weak, it's not his metier. His prep work was obviously good, that's his strength, live calls aren't. As for going 100 miles an hour it is swim racing not dressage.

paulwoods13
08-15-2016, 06:17 PM
Only from the little I did catch, Elliotte wasn't up to the task, his calls were understandably weak, it's not his metier. His prep work was obviously good, that's his strength, live calls aren't. As for going 100 miles an hour it is swim racing not dressage.

I'm talking about McDonald blabbing away during the non-race portions of the event. Like when swimmers are being introduced. Friedman, like any good broadcaster, is more than capable of uttering a few nuggets of info about each as supplied by researchers. McDonald wouldn't let him get in a word, at a time when there was plenty of room for both to stay relaxed and conversational. Friedman's play by play was fine, apart from his two major gaffes, and particularly so given how he was thrown in at the last minute. Given your appreciation for professional broadcasters, have to say I'm surprised you apparently don't rate him highly. I'd say he is one of the best broadcasters (not play by play but general-purpose broadcasters and broadcast commentators) in the country.

Argoknot
08-15-2016, 07:21 PM
I'd say he is one of the best broadcasters (not play by play but general-purpose broadcasters and broadcast commentators) in the country.Taken verbatim, I'd agree with that.

Wobbler
08-15-2016, 07:28 PM
I confess that I watched the 100 m finals yesterday.
Pretty hard to resist that one. I think I like the 4x100 even more though; there, you get the "guys running really fast" but also an element of "someone's probably going to screw up, so the winner could be anyone".

paulwoods13
08-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Taken verbatim, I'd agree with that.

FTR I meant he is not a play-by-play guy so should not be considered as part of that group. I wouldn't rate him against Hughson, Cuthbert et al as pbp guys, but if we're considering all spots broadcasters as a single group (e.g. rate both Black and Forde as broadcasters, not in separate categories) IMO he is in the top 10-20%. He is doing pbp now as emergency relief and IMO doing a more than credible job (gaffes aside). It's too bad the guy sitting beside him often didn't allow him to actually do what the pbp guy generally does -- set up and call the race (as Wittman did, to use an example), and allow the colour guy to provide commentary and analysis.

marcwagz
08-17-2016, 07:00 PM
I'm superbly interested in these olympics.
I think you guys take a little too much pride in having helter skelter sports tastes.

Wobbler
08-17-2016, 11:35 PM
I'm (still) enjoying the Olympics too.

ArgoZ
08-18-2016, 08:38 PM
I wonder if De Grasse can field a punt. :snack:

Wobbler
08-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Pretty hard to resist that one. I think I like the 4x100 even more though; there, you get the "guys running really fast" but also an element of "someone's probably going to screw up, so the winner could be anyone".
So... there weren't any screw-ups, but it was a fun race. I thought De Grasse might sneak in for the bronze, but oh well. Who knew Japan had so many fast guys?

Wobbler
08-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Um... like I was saying, someone's probably going to screw up. Bronze it is!

AngeloV
08-20-2016, 12:30 PM
I wonder if De Grasse can field a punt. :snack:

LOL. Of course straight ahead speed and football speed are two completely different things. If you don't have football knowledge, and I believe he was a basketball player and never played football before turning to track, you really can get your head knocked off.

Will
08-21-2016, 01:11 AM
So... there weren't any screw-ups, but it was a fun race. I thought De Grasse might sneak in for the bronze, but oh well. Who knew Japan had so many fast guys?

I suppose you cannot beat pure speed, but I always thought that the 4 x 100 took a little more than that. It's also about making sure you get the clean exchanges and that sort of thing.

1argoholic
08-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Well watching the whole gold medal game in Handball on TSN 2 was killer. What a great sport and Denmark beat France for their first Handball Olympic gold.

Wobbler
08-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Wow.

Abe's emergence in the closing ceremony was amazing. I love it!

1argoholic
08-21-2016, 09:11 PM
That was amazing and so well thought out. I can't wait for Tokyo. Love the Olympics!!!!

Macksam
08-23-2016, 12:05 PM
I think any funding should be pulled from sports like men's soccer or basketball because they never accomplish anything. For years both have done nothing. Obviously they don't deserve the funding. Put funding towards sports that are showing growth.

It must be tough for you seeing first hand how things have drastically changed over the past 30 years. Falling back on the bottle to cope and reminisce over days gone by while living in denial doesn't really accomplish anything.

1argoholic
08-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Maksaw your obviously a young lurker/troll, nice booze comment. Lame!!!! Not to mention a few other things that would get me banned. I've always got to laugh at those who hide in their basements and troll. Dude I'm not one who looks back to good old days. Take life as it comes. Most unfortunately today is SHIT sort of like the Canadian Men's Soccer Team. Do they still even have a team? Some folks don't like the truth.
Canadian Men's soccer and Canadian Men's Basketball aren't worth the funding. Put it towards the women's teams. That was not an anti soccer comment I made just an anti men's soccer and basketball one. Both do squat. Not to mention it was great to see soccer where the players aren't rolling around like they are shot. The ladies are obviously the tougher ones playing that sport. Fun to watch a more tactical style of play as well.

Lip back once the men's team beats Brazil.

If your folks weren't sucking on the bottle you wouldn't be here.

Ron
08-23-2016, 04:11 PM
LOL on the "no funding" stuff. You realize that if everyone felt that way 40 years ago we'd have no Canadian winners at the games since Canada used to suck and a silver was a glorious event?

And what of Japan? If they cut funding to what some couch potatoes wanted cut to have more badminton and ping pong we'd never have had this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzLuET71THM

Macksam
08-23-2016, 04:26 PM
@1argoholic

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory remarks to provoke others into responding. Considering you're the one that spewed misguided bull shit like "funding should be pulled from sports like men's soccer or basketball because they never accomplish anything," you are the troll.

I don't live in anybody's basement. However, you're clearly living under a rock if you don't know the strides Canadian basketball has made the last few years. The number 1 pick in the NBA has been a Canadian 3 times in the last 5 years and we had another, Jamal Murray (arguably the best of the bunch) go 7'th overall this year. We have two kids coming up that some are considering to be the best 15 year olds on the planet in Rowan Barret Jr. and Andrew Nemhard. Canadian players now make up the second most nationality in the NBA behind the USA.

Our Canadian men's team was absolutely steamrolling everyone in the 2015 FIBA Americas tournament and were one win away from qualifying for the Olympics when they unfortunately fell to Venezuela (a learning experience no doubt). If Canada had made it, they could have made the final against the USA.

With all the above in mind, it seems painfully ignorant when an individual like yourself said what you did.

So what, the Canadian Men's Basketball team barely lost out on qualification for this Olympics twice. You want a promising program like that, which could've easily medaled had they made it, to throw in the towel? Is that how you want Canadian men to be perceived on the world stage? As a bunch of quitters? I think you need a good long look in the mirror. It's time to get a little more self aware and open up your mind a little. I think it will help.

paulwoods13
08-23-2016, 04:54 PM
According to Own the Podium, women's basketball gets more funding than men's.

2013-14 2014-15 2015-16 2016-17
Basketball (F) $1,000,000 $1,000,000 $ 1,150,000 $ 1,200,000
Basketball (M) $550,000 $625,000 $ 750,000 $ 800,000

I believe that is because women's has been determined to have a greater chance of winning medals in international competitions. That may change in future, but for now the OTP program has greater faith in the women.

1argoholic
08-23-2016, 05:58 PM
Mak you then are a Troll!!!! Basically calling me an alcoholic is inflammatory. Your now up to 8 cherry picking posts. Enjoy your basketball!

This is a football site first and foremost. You'll find diehard football fans on this site. Go cherry pick posts somewhere else.

Well I guess they are getting it right when it comes to women's basketball.

Wobbler
08-23-2016, 06:14 PM
I think this thread has run its course. Will anyone freak out if I close it?

paulwoods13
08-23-2016, 06:19 PM
Not me.

1argoholic
08-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Some people can't handle the truth. Shut her down just like the men's basketball program.

Macksam
08-23-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm glad you're acknowledging the fact you can't handle the truth and want to shut this thread down. Considering you grasped at straws with the troll comment and didn't reply to anything I said about the Canadian Men's basketball team, you have conceded defeat.

/thread

1argoholic
08-23-2016, 07:06 PM
Give the team one last shot in 2020. If they don't make it cut funding and put it into rugby.

Ok this is getting too funny. Time to move on to bigger and better topics.

Macksam
08-23-2016, 07:29 PM
Give the team one last shot in 2020. If they don't make it cut funding and put it into rugby.

No, this won't be followed in any capacity.

It is funny. You have no decent counter.

1argoholic
08-23-2016, 07:39 PM
I can't counter just like the Canadian Men's Basketball team. They'll have to work on that before they can make the 2020 Olympics. I kill me!

Ok already just fund the bastards! I draw the line there. No funding for the underachieving men's soccer team though. They'll NEVER beat Brazil.

Wobbler
08-23-2016, 08:10 PM
I enjoyed the Olympics quite a lot. This thread? Not so much.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8