PDA

View Full Version : John Saunders passes away

ArgoRavi
08-10-2016, 05:00 PM
This is a shocker: http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/10/former-city-tv-sports-anchor-and-raptors-voice-john-saunders-dead-at-61

Saunders was always a pro-CFL, pro-Argos guy, even after heading to the U.S. to work. He often mentioned the Argos and CFL during the International Bowls that he called for ESPN and visited Hamilton, with Chris Berman, for the first ever game at Tim Hortons Field back in 2014.

1argoholic
08-10-2016, 06:01 PM
I think of him as a CITY guy. He was a great guy who seemed loved where ever he worked. Shocker for sure.

Argo57
08-10-2016, 07:09 PM
This is a shocker: http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/10/former-city-tv-sports-anchor-and-raptors-voice-john-saunders-dead-at-61

Saunders was always a pro-CFL, pro-Argos guy, even after heading to the U.S. to work. He often mentioned the Argos and CFL during the International Bowls that he called for ESPN and visited Hamilton, with Chris Berman, for the first ever game at Tim Hortons Field back in 2014.

Remember him well, really likeable guy who worked at City TV back in the 1980's and covered the Argonauts in the Holloway era.
He always had a great relationship with Gord Martineau on air.
Sad day for sure.

AngeloV
08-10-2016, 09:27 PM
I watched some tributes on ESPN's website. Really tearful tributes from Jemele Hill, Hannah Storm, and Stephen A Smith, all choked me up. I grew up watching CITY sports with him along with Tatti, Peter Gross, Jim McKenny and Debbie Van Kiekebelt. It was by far my favourite local sports as you can just see how much fun they all had.

A great blast from the past with Saunders, Tatti and Gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_pyLBMhhqw

ArgoGabe22
08-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Guess I'm too young but I never actually knew he was Canadian until now.

argolio
08-11-2016, 12:14 AM
Very sad.

One of those rare broadcasters who was likeable, knowledgeable, versatile, and highly competent.

1argoholic
08-11-2016, 10:22 AM
What happened to Jim Mckenny, who was always a true character? I actually never watch CITY anymore.

AngeloV
08-11-2016, 12:45 PM
What happened to Jim Mckenny, who was always a true character? I actually never watch CITY anymore.

CITY hasn't been the same since it was sold to Rogers. It was a great independent station for years, with the majority of credit going to Moses Znaimer.

ArgoRavi
08-11-2016, 03:12 PM

McKenny retired several years ago.

Gill The Thrill
08-11-2016, 03:42 PM
I grew up watching CITY sports with him along with Tatti, Peter Gross, Jim McKenny and Debbie Van Kiekebelt. It was by far my favourite local sports as you can just see how much fun they all had.

A great blast from the past with Saunders, Tatti and Gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_pyLBMhhqwWhat's the matter? You couldn't stay up an hour past your bedtime to watch the best local sportscast on CFTO with Pat Marsden, or Dan Matheson. :DI'm just breakin your balls, like you've been doing to me on some posts.:shhhh:I used to watch CITY sports also because it was on an hour earlier than CFTO Channel 9 and Global Sportsline. I had no idea Saunders was a Jr Hockey player who got an NCAA hockey scholarship as he was pretty young when he worked at CITY-TV.

ArgoRavi
08-11-2016, 03:53 PM
What's the matter? You couldn't stay up an hour past your bedtime to watch the best local sportscast on CFTO with Pat Marsden, or Dan Matheson. :DI'm just breakin your balls, like you've been doing to me on some posts.:shhhh:I used to watch CITY sports also because it was on an hour earlier than CFTO Channel 9 and Global Sportsline. I had no idea Saunders was a Jr Hockey player who got an NCAA hockey scholarship as he was pretty young when he worked at CITY-TV.

Did you know that Saunders' brother, Bernie, played briefly with the Quebec Nordiques in 1980?

AngeloV
08-11-2016, 04:24 PM
What's the matter? You couldn't stay up an hour past your bedtime to watch the best local sportscast on CFTO with Pat Marsden, or Dan Matheson. :DI'm just breakin your balls, like you've been doing to me on some posts.:shhhh:I used to watch CITY sports also because it was on an hour earlier than CFTO Channel 9 and Global Sportsline. I had no idea Saunders was a Jr Hockey player who got an NCAA hockey scholarship as he was pretty young when he worked at CITY-TV.

LOL. I always hated Pat Marsden. CFTO sports IMO sucked until Joe Tilley and Lance Brown replaced crap like Marsden, Matheson and Fergie "Just like Mom creep" Olver.

BTW, I know which homonyms to use and when (in response to your questioning my knowledge previously). I was using my tablet, and the damn spell check on that thing always screws me up.

Gill The Thrill
08-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Did you know that Saunders' brother, Bernie, played briefly with the Quebec Nordiques in 1980?Learned that also from Jim Tatti yesterday, who expressed his condolences on the radio in speaking about Saunders passing and their time working together at CITY.

LLB997
08-11-2016, 09:47 PM
never got the chance to see him on City. My 1st time seeing Saunders was during the Leafs 93 Playoff run. ABC actually aired i think it was game 3 or 4 of the Leafs-Blues series and he hosted it. I had no idea then he was a Canadian and just thought he was a football guy tasked with hosting NHL.

Argo57
08-11-2016, 10:20 PM
LOL. I always hated Pat Marsden. CFTO sports IMO sucked until Joe Tilley and Lance Brown replaced crap like Marsden, Matheson and Fergie "Just like Mom creep" Olver.

BTW, I know which homonyms to use and when (in response to your questioning my knowledge previously). I was using my tablet, and the damn spell check on that thing always screws me up.

Tilley makes me cringe with his "sports coming up" shtick.

argolio
08-12-2016, 12:27 AM
Saunders also did a great job hosting U.S. college football. Even though he had some first-hand exposure while playing hockey at Western Michigan, it can't be easy for a Canadian to learn about NCAA football in-depth and discuss it intelligently with Americans who grew up with it.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8