PDA

View Full Version : Dan Lefevour

Gill The Thrill
08-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Any sign of this guy coming out of the practice roster. I know it may be too much for him to start as soon as next week, but perhaps the coaches can give him a package of running plays or short distance yardage plays that he could use coming off the bench. He was very effective at that when he was doing that with the Ticats a few years ago and has more experience than both Kilgore and Fajardo.

Argo
08-15-2016, 08:52 AM
Any sign of this guy coming out of the practice roster. I know it may be too much for him to start as soon as next week, but perhaps the coaches can give him a package of running plays or short distance yardage plays that he could use coming off the bench. He was very effective at that when he was doing that with the Ticats a few years ago and has more experience than both Kilgore and Fajardo.

LeFevour may well be the best option to start at QB.

PullTogether73
08-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Too early imo.
He's probably still learning the playbook, and likely not getting many reps in practice.

He should replace McPherson on the depth chart in a couple of weeks though.

Argo57
08-15-2016, 07:36 PM
LeFevour may well be the best option to start at QB.

When Dan LeFevour is your potential saviour we're in deep shit.

R.J
08-15-2016, 08:06 PM
You can say that again.

paulwoods13
08-15-2016, 08:32 PM
When?

Gill The Thrill
08-16-2016, 06:07 PM

He's actually the most experienced and accomplished QB presently under contract by the Argos not named Ricky Ray. He also was not in the league from the start of training camp because he was able to sign with an NFL club to attend their training camp (probably made some good dough in the process). I'm realistic enough to know that he probably wasn't signed to be a starter, but he was still deemed worthy enough to compete for a backup position. You could also bet that he would of made any CFL club roster coming out of camp as an experienced #2 QB. So the option of going with him is nowhere as desperate as sending Kilgore out to throw bombs in triple coverage ....now that's desperate.

Argo57
08-16-2016, 07:12 PM
He's actually the most experienced and accomplished QB presently under contract by the Argos not named Ricky Ray. He also was not in the league from the start of training camp because he was able to sign with an NFL club to attend their training camp (probably made some good dough in the process). I'm realistic enough to know that he probably wasn't signed to be a starter, but he was still deemed worthy enough to compete for a backup position. You could also bet that he would of made any CFL club roster coming out of camp as an experienced #2 QB. So the option of going with him is nowhere as desperate as sending Kilgore out to throw bombs in triple coverage ....now that's desperate.

Like I said if LeFevour is deemed the only viable option then hurry back Ray.
TBH I think they need to give Kilgore a good long look before giving up on him.

R.J
08-16-2016, 07:35 PM
???
McPherson is the most experienced and CFL accomplished QB the Argos have with Ray out. Also, Lefevour had no takers early on and signed with the upstart MLFB in January, then the league collapsed, and Lefevour was one of 10 QB"s who attended Riders mini camp in April, didn't impress, so they let him walk, after that he somehow managed to sign with the Bucs.

Argo57
08-16-2016, 07:39 PM
???
McPherson is the most experienced and CFL accomplished QB the Argos have with Ray out. Also, Lefevour had no takers early on and signed with the upstart MLFB in January, then the league collapsed, and Lefevour was one of 10 QB"s who attended Riders mini camp in April, didn't impress, so they let him walk, after that he somehow managed to sign with the Bucs.

It's ok SnowRogue my sources tell me Barker is in intense negotiations with Cleo's agent.

AngeloV
08-16-2016, 07:40 PM

Smartest thing I've read on here in a while.

OV Argo
08-16-2016, 07:41 PM
???

Lefevour has shown wayyyyyy more in the CFL as an actual QB vs, MacPherson who is totally lost as a passer, but decent at falling straight ahead on 3rd and one yard to go. No brainer to me over who should be on the roster. AND - with Ray out, the leash should be very short on Kilgore IMO with all the picks he is throwing; unless Lefevour is struggling learning the offence, i'd be turning to him much sooner than later over rookies like Kilgore & Fajardo. This isn't late in the season where you have a 4 game lead for first in the East and the HC/OC get to fool around with their pet back-up QBs.

R.J
08-16-2016, 07:41 PM
It's ok SnowRogue my sources tell me Barker is in intense negotiations with Cleo's agent.
Oh god lol.
If that were to ever happen, imagine how much worse the negativity would be around here.

R.J
08-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Lefevour has shown wayyyyyy more in the CFL as an actual QB vs, MacPherson who is totally lost as a passer, but decent at falling straight ahead on 3rd and one yard to go. No brainer to me over who should be on the roster. AND - with Ray out, the leash should be very short on Kilgore IMO with all the picks he is throwing; unless Lefevour is struggling learning the offence, i'd be turning to him much sooner than later over rookies like Kilgore & Fajardo. This isn't late in the season where you have a 4 game lead for first in the East and the HC/OC get to fool around with their pet back-up QBs.
Okay ??
I have no idea what your trying to dispute or convince me of. McPherson has dressed in and played in more games, has also won Grey Cup's as a back-up, and has been in the league longer than Lefevour. Gill brought up that Lefevour was the most experienced and accomplished QB we have with Ray out, which isn't true. Gill also brought up that Lefevour wasn't at any CFL camps because he was with the Bucs, which is only partially true, because he was brought into Sask and deemed not worth it, then signed with the Bucs.

I wasn't a fan of McPherson coming back, nor am I big on Lefevour, so I don't want either of them starting, but if you think differently: no worries from my end.

gilthethrill
08-16-2016, 10:00 PM
???

I thought Lefevour asked for his release from Montreal in the offseason in order to sign with the MLFB? When he signed with Tampa Bay Gill, I doubt Dan had much of a signing bonus.

R.J
08-16-2016, 10:08 PM
I thought Lefevour asked for his release from Montreal in the offseason in order to sign with the MLFB? When he signed with Tampa Bay Gill, I doubt Dan had much of a signing bonus.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/01/28/is-lefevours-move-to-mlfb-the-start-of-a-trend

Well, we now know why Dan LeFevour is no longer in the CFL.

The former Ticats and Alouettes quarterback let it be known via social media earlier this week that he had asked Montreal for his release to get a head start on CFL free agency.

Lo and behold, two days later the former Central Michigan gunslinger ended up getting “drafted” as one of the eight “franchise players” in the fledgling Major League Football (MLFB). A few other players who had cups of coffee in the CFL were also drafted as “franchise players” on Wednesday: quarterbacks Casey Pachall and Darron Thomas, and receiver Joe Adams. A few more ex-CFLers were drafted on Thursday.

ArgoRavi
08-17-2016, 12:49 AM

I would be shocked if Lefevour made a penny in Tampa Bay.

Gill The Thrill
08-19-2016, 03:56 AM
I would be shocked if Lefevour made a penny in Tampa Bay.

I'm sure guys get paid while at training camp, even if it's not a regular season salary. The Per diem for being at an NFL camp can't exactly be nothing, especially when you consider that football training camps sees players staying in college style dorms away from their families. That is unless things have changed so much from what I remember.

I'm sure with labour laws in the US and the power of pro players unions. (I know football is the weakest of all the team sports) I would find it hard to believe he got nothing. Lefevour probably got paid to make up numbers and ensured that the Bucs had enough arms to throw at all the receivers in opening few weeks at camp.

jojoheath
08-19-2016, 09:14 AM
I have followed the cfl for years, I have never seen a quarterback hang around for so long like McPherson and never really get chance to play. He must have some qualities that keep teams calling him back. And good for him for continuing to report. Most back-ups get 2-3 years tops.

ArgoZ
08-19-2016, 10:25 AM
I have followed the cfl for years, I have never seen a quarterback hang around for so long like McPherson and never really get chance to play. He must have some qualities that keep teams calling him back. And good for him for continuing to report. Most back-ups get 2-3 years tops.

I don't like all the negatively (particularly on this forum) directed to him. He's always professional, actually played good whenever the Argos have needed him and is a great teammate.

AngeloV
08-19-2016, 01:25 PM

I don't like all the negatively (particularly on this forum) directed to him. He's always professional, actually played good whenever the Argos have needed him and is a great teammate.

I agree with both of you. Unfortunately hating on the current regime seems to be in vogue around here. Really pisses me off.

KCargosfan
08-19-2016, 03:09 PM

McPherson is probably the consummate professional who is great in the locker room and with younger QBs. He's obviously athletic enough to play for anyone, and he probably has the trust of the coaching staff to where if he enters the game, he will manage the game and not commit stupid turnovers. My guess is he probably wouldn't throw for a ton of yards, but he wouldn't screw anything up.

ArgoGabe22
08-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Especially being the 4th or 5th string, they're really shouldn't be anything negative to say about McPherson or LeFavour. Let Kilgore and Fajardo absorb as much as they can from these two should be a plus, nota negative.

Argocister
08-21-2016, 12:55 AM
When we first picked up LeFavour I was wondering .... Perhaps McPherson is on his way out? Why pick up a recycled guy? Is our scouting not finding anyone?....Now I'm thinking that perhaps Scotty isn't sold on Kilgore or Fajardo as being A+ backups.
And with seeing Fajardos right arm in a sling at the end of the
Edmonton game, .....Ricky are you ready?

Gill The Thrill
08-21-2016, 05:08 AM
Lefevour is easily the best guy not named Ricky Ray under contract....he should start vs BC, but that won't be enough. This Argo team stinks from top to bottom.. Save for Brandon Whitaker, the team has little character and showed little heart and effort yesterday.

Argocister
08-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Do you think LeFevour is ready? I'm thinking it is too early for Dan to come in ..... Therefore I'm hoping Ray is ready .

Will
08-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Do you think LeFevour is ready? I'm thinking it is too early for Dan to come in ..... Therefore I'm hoping Ray is ready .

The rumor is that he's supposed to be.

Argocister
08-21-2016, 10:04 AM
The rumor is that he's supposed to be.
If that's true ..... At least the Lions won't have film on him. That is always a plus

Will
08-21-2016, 10:07 AM
If that's true ..... At least the Lions won't have film on him. That is always a plus

No, Ray is supposed to be back.

Argocister
08-21-2016, 10:08 AM
No, Ray is supposed to be back.

Yea!:love::D

ArgoZ
08-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Lefevour is easily the best guy not named Ricky Ray under contract....he should start vs BC, but that won't be enough. This Argo team stinks from top to bottom.. Save for Brandon Whitaker, the team has little character and showed little heart and effort yesterday.

I would like you to stand where the players exit the field and return to the locker room after a loss and see if you feel the same. Yes, Whitakers jersey was ripped to shreds, but the condition and faces shown on others do not show me little heart and effort. The team made mistakes, particularly on offence due to inexperience and the Eskimos executed with precision.

Argocister
08-21-2016, 11:36 AM
I would like you to stand where the players exit the field and return to the locker room after a loss and see if you feel the same. Yes, Whitakers jersey was ripped to shreds, but the condition and faces shown on others do not show me little heart and effort. The team made mistakes, particularly on offence due to inexperience and the Eskimos executed with precision.

I agree with that last statement ..... And I also feel most of the team is showing effort .... And also frustrations.

Neely2005
08-21-2016, 11:56 AM

Honestly I haven't seen McPherson play enough to have a fair opinion of him.

Neely2005
08-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Like I said if LeFevour is deemed the only viable option then hurry back Ray.

Personally I've seen enough of Kilgore now. Fajardo looked much better so far IMO.

gilthethrill
08-21-2016, 01:46 PM

I also hope Ray is ready, but earlier this season Mitch Gale started a game for the Riders shortly after being acquired and played pretty well in a win over Ottawa. By the next game LeFevour should be more than ready.

Gill The Thrill
08-21-2016, 02:12 PM
I would like you to stand where the players exit the field and return to the locker room after a loss and see if you feel the same. Yes, Whitakers jersey was ripped to shreds, but the condition and faces shown on others do not show me little heart and effort. The team made mistakes, particularly on offence due to inexperience and the Eskimos executed with precision.Glad you brought this point up...I did for the Winnipeg game and was sickened by all the smiling faces on SOME Argo players. It's as if the guys finished gym class and didn't have a care in the world, let alone just lose a professional football game as pro players that are paid to perform. You mention the one guy that I've praised as a leader on this team.

I also saw this team exit the dressing room before the game yesterday, and was not impressed with how the team does not come out in unison. In the past teams would march out like it showed Notre Dame doing in the movie, Rudy. Once again, I'll use the gym class example. Some guys are great and coming out shaking hands with fans, but they're coming out as individuals, and not as a unit. You see some guys running, others jogging, other guys straggling. It just looks like they're unprepared and that's all on Milanovich. The mood of the team ultimately rests on the coach and if he allows guys to leave the dressing room as if they're arriving to gym class from the change room, then it's no wonder they were down 33-14 by halftime yesterday and 18-0 to the Ticats in front of a packed stadium in the season opener.

I noticed the Eskimos were out earlier than the Argos for the 2nd half, and the lineman were practicing their stances as a unit on their half of the field. The Argos were still lazily straggling out of the dressing room. The optics looked terrible and would give an astute observer an excellent indicator of which team was successful and winning without looking at the scoreboard.

1argoholic
08-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Don't you think that many of the players have wondered why the hell Kilgore is even still around. All of these players have played for years and have seen friends cut for much less or at least told to hit the bench. If anyone but Kilgore started yesterday we may have had a fighting chance. How can a team not be deflated by a qb who just doesn't get the game or that the game is just happening to fast around him. I mentioned after his first pick that he just looked robotic, turning and passing straight into the defenders arms. Against Ottawa he had me fooled but he has shown zero since that game. He's like a lost puppy in the deep dark woods out there. I still think Fajardo is a keeper and I'm bummed that he got injured. Barker has to get out and dig up another qb or two.

Neely2005
09-10-2016, 11:21 AM
I thought that we should have a Thread to discuss Dan LeFevour. I'd appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on him.

Here is his background from Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_LeFevour

This interview is worth watching:

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/09/09/dan-lefevour-september-9/

argotom
09-10-2016, 11:54 AM
I like him.
Thought he didn't get a fair shot in the Hammer.
Then that freak injury during the first few plays with the Als.
Although having an average arm at best, there is no question his running ability is the key in rolling out of the pocket and making things happen.
I think/hope he may surprise us.

argolio
09-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Hopefully his ability to make plays with his legs puts pressure on their D, keeps drives alive, and prevents our D from being on the field too long.

AngeloV
09-10-2016, 03:27 PM
^^^^
This.

Stevoman
09-10-2016, 03:51 PM
He won me over with the look on his face about 1:55 of that interview when the reporter seriously asked him "have you talked to Zach, or someone else who has success with the Argos offence that is outside of the organization since you've been named the starter". He gives him this look of "what kind of question is this????"

Argo57
09-10-2016, 04:58 PM
He won me over with the look on his face about 1:55 of that interview when the reporter seriously asked him "have you talked to Zach, or someone else who has success with the Argos offence that is outside of the organization since you've been named the starter". He gives him this look of "what kind of question is this????"

He also looked like he wanted to slap Zic as well.

argos1873
09-10-2016, 07:30 PM
I've got the Dan LeFevour fever!! Ok not really, but I might as well stay positive.

Shipyard
09-10-2016, 08:55 PM
i like watching dan play, i assume we will have new packages this week that ray wouldn't run ... always compare him to tebow and whether he could play up here because his style is so similar

PullTogether73
09-10-2016, 10:38 PM
i like watching dan play, i assume we will have new packages this week that ray wouldn't run ... always compare him to tebow and whether he could play up here because his style is so similar

Lefevour can't throw a football either?
The Argos are in big trouble tomorrow.

doubleblue
09-10-2016, 11:40 PM

I'm assuming you mean using his feet to open up the pass. Difficult to do with this offense. Now if we could just get Mike Sellers and Mel Profit to come out of retirement at FB and TE, he might have a chance.

ArgoRavi
09-11-2016, 12:14 AM
I'm assuming you mean using his feet to open up the pass. Difficult to do with this offense. Now if we could just get Mike Sellers and Mel Profit to come out of retirement at FB and TE, he might have a chance.

Milanovich and Brady will tailor the gameplan to the QB's skills just as they have done with Collaros, Harris and Ray over the years.

Neely2005
09-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Milanovich and Brady will tailor the gameplan to the QB's skills just as they have done with Collaros, Harris and Ray over the years.

Exactly, that's what good coaches do.

larz-7
09-11-2016, 09:08 PM
i thought he made some good plays today.there was one that stood out for me.He was gonna throw to one receiver cant remember who but that receiver was lined up to be smashed so he threw it away.Its one thing to go all out for the team but suicid catches are diffirent so spell check freezes on this site

Argo57
09-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Admittedly I bashed the Argonauts for bringing in LeFevour and was wrong, amazing how a mobile QB can keep a D off balance.

doubleblue
09-11-2016, 09:39 PM
i thought he made some good plays today.there was one that stood out for me.He was gonna throw to one receiver cant remember who but that receiver was lined up to be smashed so he threw it away.Its one thing to go all out for the team but suicid catches are diffirent so spell check freezes on this site

I think you were talking about a screen pass to Whitaker. Lefevour saw he was covered and threw the ball into the turf, which prevented Whitaker from taking a big hit and losing yardage as well. Showed some veteran experience there.

Will
09-11-2016, 09:43 PM
But, for two throws a respectable performance. He kept pressure off of what arguably was a subpar 5 on the offensive line and got plenty of support from Whitaker as well.

argotom
09-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Did well overall passed in excess of 300 yards, also had some good runs.
Deserves to keep going.

AngeloV
09-11-2016, 09:44 PM
Should we start a thread about if Austin and Tillman should be fired in Hamilton because they let Lefevour go? Or still too soon?

;)

Will
09-11-2016, 11:14 PM
Let us try to keep this thread on the topic of LeFevour's performance tonight, and leave the discussions about the Willy trade to that thread.

AngeloV
09-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Did well overall passed in excess of 300 yards, also had some good runs.
Deserves to keep going.

AT, I agree with you.

Will
09-11-2016, 11:31 PM
Call me shocked!

Argocister
09-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Danny boy did a good job today. There were a few hiccups .... In the 4th I felt he was holding onto the ball and running himself a few too many times. But overall, the offensive plans were executed well.
Personally, I think LeFevour should start against Wnnipeg. Give Willy sometime to learn the offence.

Wobbler
09-11-2016, 11:40 PM
AT, I agree with you.
Quoted for emphasis.

AngeloV
09-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Call me shocked!

Quoted for emphasis.

I'm not a monster, you know?

Wobbler
09-12-2016, 12:59 AM
You're our kind of monster, Angelo.

Neely2005
09-12-2016, 07:59 AM
So who's starting against Winnipeg? LeFevour played really well but Willy will be motivated against his old team and he knows their playbook.

Jayahre
09-12-2016, 08:10 AM
So who's starting against Winnipeg? LeFevour played really well but Willy will be motivated against his old team and he knows their playbook.

Lefevour deserves the start after his performance yesterday.

doubleblue
09-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Admittedly I bashed the Argonauts for bringing in LeFevour and was wrong, amazing how a mobile QB can keep a D off balance.

A mobile QB having success in the CFL? As the saying goes "there's nothing new under the Sun".

paulwoods13
09-12-2016, 08:57 AM

Yes he would be motivated. But knowing Wpg's playbook is useful only to our defence. It won't help him get ready to play in our offence. I think highly unlikely he starts this wk. May get in with limited playbook if LeFevour struggles.

Antwon
09-12-2016, 09:12 AM

No question LeFevour starts! It would be an insult if they didn't.

Argo
09-12-2016, 09:57 AM

Seriously, man, give your head a shake.

OV Argo
09-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Never mind / no need to worry now - the Argos have acquired an outstanding QB in Drew Willy ! Great move by that ever astute GM Barker, and a QB genius of a coach like Millanovich should be able to get Willy to lead the way to the GC - this was THE move to get the Argos to the big game at home this year, and a small price to pay (CFL draft picks are just for depth/special teamers anyways).

BRAVO Barker !!!

Neely2005
09-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Lefevour deserves the start after his performance yesterday.

I think so too but it will be interesting to hear SM discuss this during the upcoming week.

Seriously, man, give your head a shake.

Thanks for that contribution it really added to the discussion.

Argoknot
09-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Never mind / no need to worry now - the Argos have acquired an outstanding QB in Drew Willy ! Great move by that ever astute GM Barker, and a QB genius of a coach like Millanovich should be able to get Willy to lead the way to the GC - this was THE move to get the Argos to the big game at home this year, and a small price to pay (CFL draft picks are just for depth/special teamers anyways).Totally agree, great move by the Argos, although I disagree with you on the draft picks, that was a heavy price to pay.

mchesher03
09-12-2016, 10:27 AM
lefevour deserves the shot at starting again next week - i'd be amongst the disappointed if he was relegated to backup after that game he played yesterday.

paulwoods13
09-12-2016, 11:13 AM
When in the modern history of the CFL has a QB started five days after arriving in town for the first time? I can't believe there is any chance Willy starts this week, unless LeFevour came out of yesterday with an injury. Even our "simpleton" offence would take more than five days to master.

Argo
09-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Thanks for that contribution it really added to the discussion.

Gratuitous sarcasm... sparkling stuff.

AngeloV
09-12-2016, 11:45 AM
A mobile QB having success in the CFL? As the saying goes "there's nothing new under the Sun".

Yeah, because Ricky Ray, Danny McManus and Anthony Calvillo really struggled poorly throughout their careers. If only they could have been as good as Casey Printers.

:o

AngeloV
09-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Never mind / no need to worry now - the Argos have acquired an outstanding QB in Drew Willy ! Great move by that ever astute GM Barker, and a QB genius of a coach like Millanovich should be able to get Willy to lead the way to the GC - this was THE move to get the Argos to the big game at home this year, and a small price to pay (CFL draft picks are just for depth/special teamers anyways).

BRAVO Barker !!!

Yeah, imagine that. If only his offence was as old as some of your posts, we might have something there.

AngeloV
09-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Totally agree, great move by the Argos, although I disagree with you on the draft picks, that was a heavy price to pay.

No, you are completely wrong. Why go after Willy when you could have signed a FA out of Laval instead. Typical GOB move.

Yes, that was sarcasm.

Scooter McCray
09-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Calvillo was run out Hamilton and began his Montreal career poorly. Not until he mentored under Tracy Ham did he become pro footballs most prolific passer. I want to see how much fire and desire Willy has to progress to the next level. I hope he has it.

ArgoRavi
09-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Danny boy did a good job today. There were a few hiccups .... In the 4th I felt he was holding onto the ball and running himself a few too many times. But overall, the offensive plans were executed well.
Personally, I think LeFevour should start against Wnnipeg. Give Willy sometime to learn the offence.

I think that in the fourth quarter they were trying to avoid the turnover and playing for field position which is why they went a bit more conservative. Willy will need some time to digest the playbook for sure. LeFevour will start in Winnipeg and I expect, if he continues to play well, in Ottawa and Montreal after that. At that point, Ray may be ready to return.

argotom
09-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Obviously this trade was in the works for a while.
However, I think Barker should have held off at least until digesting the performance of Dan and perhaps under the circumstance now for another game in light of his awesome performance.
Like most have said here a steep price was paid for Willy, a QB who I am guessing had he stayed in Winnipeg at the end of the year he would have had to restructure his big money contract by likely two thirds reflecting in typical back up money or who knows could have been released?
Anyway, it looks like Barker traded from the position of weakness instead of strength and got taken to the cleaners by Kyle Walters.

Neely2005
09-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Gratuitous sarcasm... sparkling stuff.

Your comment added absolutely nothing to the conversation other than being a feeble attempt to instigate discord for no apparent reason. It was completely unnecessary.

argotom
09-12-2016, 03:47 PM
AT, I agree with you.

Wow, this actually may be the second time overall with each of us once?
Should we go out this Friday and buy a $60M lottery ticket?

Argo
09-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Your comment added absolutely nothing to the conversation other than being a feeble attempt to instigate discord for no apparent reason. It was completely unnecessary.

Yes, in hindsight it was quite a poorly-worded posting that satisfied no one, I'm sure.

edit: Now, reading some other posts, I SEE what I meant to say... "When in the modern history of the CFL has a QB started five days after arriving in town for the first time? I can't believe there is any chance Willy starts this week, unless LeFevour came out of yesterday with an injury. Even our "simpleton" offence would take more than five days to master." : ))

argoscott
09-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Yes, in hindsight it was quite a poorly-worded posting that satisfied no one, I'm sure.

edit: Now, reading some other posts, I say what I meant to say... "When in the modern history of the CFL has a QB started five days after arriving in town for the first time? I can't believe there is any chance Willy starts this week, unless LeFevour came out of yesterday with an injury. Even our "simpleton" offence would take more than five days to master." : ))

Michael Bishop did that twice, I think 2008 and 2009 would be considered modern history. He did it in 2008 when he was traded to Sask and again short notice in 2009 with the Bombers

BTW Dan Lef.... was fantastic, we found our starter, now Barker tries to mess it up by bringing in Willy

timlb01
09-12-2016, 09:32 PM
You have to start Dan again. He won. Put up over 300 yards passing. The score board showed 44 first downs too.... don't think that was correct. Only negative was the 2 interceptions. It was nice to see some mobility in a QB. An attribute I wish we always had in our QB's. It just adds a great dimension that defenses have to defend against and can really help open up all other aspects of the offense.

paulwoods13
09-12-2016, 10:41 PM
The scoreboard showed 44 first downs through three quarters. Um, I think that would be a record for an entire game. We actually had 27 for the full game, I think.

As for those saying we found our new starter yesterday, I have two words for you: Marvin Graves.

Ron
09-13-2016, 12:02 AM
As for those saying we found our new starter yesterday, I have two words for you: Marvin Graves.

LOL, well played.

ArgoRavi
09-13-2016, 01:42 AM
The scoreboard showed 44 first downs through three quarters. Um, I think that would be a record for an entire game. We actually had 27 for the full game, I think.

How about Mike Hohensee?

1971GreyCup
09-13-2016, 08:04 AM

Clint Longley

paulwoods13
09-13-2016, 08:39 AM
Clint Longley

I wore a 1977 game-worn jersey on Sunday that I think might actually have been worn by Clint.

doubleblue
09-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Clint came in with great fanfare and I drank the cool aide like everybody else. But after about 20 or 30 of those "bona fide" stars over the years letting me down I can't drink that stuff anymore.

1971GreyCup
09-13-2016, 09:31 AM
Clint Longley, QB out of Abeline Christian may have the one of the most bizarre story about not making it in professional football. After his miraculous Cowboys 1974 Thanksgiving victory, he went on to sucker punch the Dallas legend Roger Staubach

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-12-04/sports/9412040047_1_clint-longley-texas-stadium-mad-bomber/2

I remember Leo Cahill bringing him in and certainly high hopes prevailed (with a little help from Leo).

Argo
09-13-2016, 09:37 AM

I've watched half the game so far on YouTube. LeFevour has some serious, multi-faceted talent. Not to mention size, and last but not least, he seems to possess the necessary QB intelligence and leadership.

doubleblue
09-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Clint Longley, QB out of Abeline Christian may have the one of the most bizarre story about not making it in professional football. After his miraculous Cowboys 1974 Thanksgiving victory, he went on to sucker punch the Dallas legend Roger Staubach

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-12-04/sports/9412040047_1_clint-longley-texas-stadium-mad-bomber/2

I remember Leo Cahill bringing him in and certainly high hopes prevailed (with a little help from Leo).

Great story about Longley. Didn't mention anything about his Argo days. Leo was great at bringing in the characters like Longley, Profit and Thornton to name a few. Speaking of Clint and his guns. There was a real life gun fighter back in the 1800's down in Texas named Bill Longley, maybe Clint's Great Grandfather. Oh for the good old days when the Argos were the talk of the town. Now they only bring in guys with "character" not character guys. lol

AngeloV
09-13-2016, 10:02 AM
I've watched half the game so far on YouTube. LeFevour has some serious, multi-faceted talent. Not to mention size, and last but not least, he seems to possess the necessary QB intelligence and leadership.

A lot of people expected really good things from Lefevour, but he had some unfortunate injury issues. I'm hopeful that he can stay healthy and continue to play well.

1971GreyCup
09-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Great story about Longley. Didn't mention anything about his Argo days. Leo was great at bringing in the characters like Longley, Profit and Thornton to name a few. Speaking of Clint and his guns. There was a real life gun fighter back in the 1800's down in Texas named Bill Longley, maybe Clint's Great Grandfather. Oh for the good old days when the Argos were the talk of the town. Now they only bring in guys with "character" not character guys. lol

Doublblue, I'll have to sign up for Ancestory.com to answer your Bill Longley question.

It's funny how you remember something vividly from over 40 years ago, that you haven't thought of in decades.

I agree that they were "characters" in the past. Maybe back then the Argos were not always the best of teams, and certainly a circus at times, but circuses can bring in large crowds!

OV Argo
09-13-2016, 10:57 AM

I was first impressed by LeFevour when i saw him play a game for C. Michigan in college ball - both by his passing arm and his running/scrambling ability (cannot only gain yards/make 1st downs, but also buy a smart QB more time to read & throw).

LeFevour made an NFL roster out of college ball.

LeFevour impressed me when he got to first play in the CFL with the Ticats; he was not given the reins as the #1 guy to lead the team for a season to see how he would do there (like Willy has been given).

Willy was impressive for the Bombers a few times - in that he completed a high percentage of passes in some games AND that he was at least an improvement on some of the terrible QBing the Bombers had before. He is NOT very mobile and he cannot consistently make throws down the field - very inaccurate arm coupled with some poor decision making. He got benched by the Bombers cause he could not consistently win games - in 2 seasons as a starter - for them and his journeyman like replacement has won 6 in a row with the same offence.

IMO - Lefevour is the quite superior QB talent package, and has a better resume.

As somebody else recently opined here - going out and giving up lots to get a limited talent QB like Willy, smacks of desperation by Barker & Millanovich; anybody want to predict or bet that Willy ever becomes a winning record starting QB for the Argos ?

argotom
09-13-2016, 11:23 AM
He made some poor wobbler lame duck type throws early on to include the 2 pics, but in the second half I couldn't believe some of the throws were on a tight rope.
I liked him with the Hammer and thought he could have been the replacement for AC when he signed with the Als.

paulwoods13
09-13-2016, 11:27 AM

And it was one game. Lots of guys look good in spurts. It's simply too early to declare him our next starter based on one inspired game. Not saying you are doing that but some folks seem to be.

AngeloV
09-13-2016, 11:49 AM
He made some poor wobbler lame duck type throws early on to include the 2 pics, but in the second half I couldn't believe some of the throws were on a tight rope.
I liked him with the Hammer and thought he could have been the replacement for AC when he signed with the Als.

I would think by now people would now a wobble on a ball means absolutely nothing. Watch the games on TV. Most of Collaros's balls wobble too.

AngeloV
09-13-2016, 11:50 AM
And it was one game. Lots of guys look good in spurts. It's simply too early to declare him our next starter based on one inspired game. Not saying you are doing that but some folks seem to be.

I agree Paul, but I am very hopeful he turns out to be a stud QB.

Neely2005
09-13-2016, 12:38 PM

edit: Now, reading some other posts, I SEE what I meant to say... "When in the modern history of the CFL has a QB started five days after arriving in town for the first time? I can't believe there is any chance Willy starts this week, unless LeFevour came out of yesterday with an injury. Even our "simpleton" offence would take more than five days to master." : ))

Fair enough.

Neely2005
09-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Michael Bishop did that twice, I think 2008 and 2009 would be considered modern history. He did it in 2008 when he was traded to Sask and again short notice in 2009 with the Bombers

BTW Dan Lef.... was fantastic, we found our starter, now Barker tries to mess it up by bringing in Willy

Yeah but Bishop is the Chuck Norris of the CFL.
:)

argotom
09-13-2016, 12:40 PM
I would think by now people would now a wobble on a ball means absolutely nothing. Watch the games on TV. Most of Collaros's balls wobble too.

My point being the book on Dan is for having a rather poor to average arm at best.
So when some of those under thrown lame ducks were launched it did not surprise me.
What was an eye opener was the second half as he had definite zip on those thrown ropes.

Neely2005
09-13-2016, 12:40 PM

It's those CFL footballs, they're more difficult to throw. At least I find them more difficult to throw.

AngeloV
09-13-2016, 01:28 PM
My point being the book on Dan is for having a rather poor to average arm at best.
So when some of those under thrown lame ducks were launched it did not surprise me.
What was an eye opener was the second half as he had definite zip on those thrown ropes.

I would say average at worst. The picks were not the result of arm strength. On the first one he didn't expect to the DE (Tracey) to drop into the lane as he did. The 2nd was just a bad read, as I don't think he ever located MLB Dean.

AngeloV
09-13-2016, 01:29 PM
It's those CFL footballs, they're more difficult to throw. At least I find them more difficult to throw.

Not really. They are very similar today as compared to the 80's with the NFL ball. The stripes make it just more noticeable to see a wobble on the ball as compared to the stripe less NFL ball. It's nothing but optics.

Neely2005
09-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Not really. They are very similar today as compared to the 80's with the NFL ball. The stripes make it just more noticeable to see a wobble on the ball as compared to the stripe less NFL ball. It's nothing but optics.

I have official CFL and NFL footballs and the CFL ball is tougher to hold / grip and throw than the NFL ball is. Everyone who throws the CFL ball comments on it.

AngeloV
09-13-2016, 03:35 PM
I have official CFL and NFL footballs and the CFL ball is tougher to hold / grip and throw than the NFL ball is. Everyone who throws the CFL ball comments on it.

I've thrown both for many years in my touch leagues. I honestly don't notice a difference, but I do wear gloves when I throw, so maybe that just gives me a grip where it's not noticeable. When the Argos had their locker room sales, I would go and buy a couple of pretty new balls at $20 each. Great deal. Hope they bring the locker room sale back this year.

Neely2005
09-13-2016, 03:43 PM
I've thrown both for many years in my touch leagues. I honestly don't notice a difference, but I do wear gloves when I throw, so maybe that just gives me a grip where it's not noticeable. When the Argos had their locker room sales, I would go and buy a couple of pretty new balls at $20 each. Great deal. Hope they bring the locker room sale back this year.

Well maybe I just don't know how to throw it properly.
:-)

Yeah hopefully they bring back the locker room sale, IIRC it's been a few years since the last one.

Kenners
09-13-2016, 03:55 PM

THEY DID THIS?!? i'd so go buy stuff lol.

AngeloV
09-13-2016, 04:37 PM
THEY DID THIS?!? i'd so go buy stuff lol.

Yes. I think the last one was before the fire when they were at UofT Mississauga. I have some pretty warm Argo nylon pants which are awesome in the winter, as well as some other pretty cool swag that was all at a huge discounted rate. I think all teams do this, but as I said, the Argos haven't had one since the fire.

ArgoGabe22
09-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Yes. I think the last one was before the fire when they were at UofT Mississauga. I have some pretty warm Argo nylon pants which are awesome in the winter, as well as some other pretty cool swag that was all at a huge discounted rate. I think all teams do this, but as I said, the Argos haven't had one since the fire.

I don't think they've had one since Braley ownership. IIRC The last one was in 2012 but it wasn't game worn gear, just unsold Grey Cup merchandise. It wasn't even at UTM but somewhere in a wearhouse.

argotom
09-13-2016, 05:12 PM

Agreed.
Back in the day the NFL ball was bigger and more difficult to hold.
Regardless I still like the shape and design of our ball.

doubleblue
09-13-2016, 05:17 PM
I got a pair of Argo track pants several years ago. Best track pants I ever owned.

Argo
09-13-2016, 05:26 PM
Agreed.

Our balls are bigger.

OV Argo
09-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Agreed.

We could ask AV on this, but seems to me, as I recall - the old Spalding J5Vs that were the CFL / standard Canadian ball back some time ago, were a slightly different shape - fatter - than the Wilson NFL ball. Can\t recall anybody saying the NFL ball was ever bigger. QBs in our old touch league had the choice of using either, and it seemed to be divided with maybe slightly more preferring the NFL ball.

They're supposed to be the exact same size now, but they still seem a little different when you look at them side by side; maybe it's an optics thing - as AV says - with the stripes vs. no stripes ?

Argo57
09-13-2016, 06:19 PM

The current ball is much better to throw than the old Spalding J5V was back in the day.
Holloway, Brock, Clements, Barnes, Paopao etc didn't seem to struggle.

ArgoZ
09-13-2016, 08:11 PM
I always bought authentic footballs in my teens and twenties. The J5V was definitely fatter, but not longer than any current ball. The stripes made it look even worse. It felt heavier too. If you had a good arm, it felt better throwing in the wind than any other ball, maybe it was the mass.

I remember when I bought my first "Duke" NFL ball. The sleek and dark look was attractive. I could always throw darts and constantly over 50 yards with that ball, which was pretty darn good for a skinny guy back then. I could never go back the CFL ball. Although the official allowances actually provide for a bigger NFL ball today, they are exactly the same size.

AngeloV
09-13-2016, 08:23 PM
We could ask AV on this, but seems to me, as I recall - the old Spalding J5Vs that were the CFL / standard Canadian ball back some time ago, were a slightly different shape - fatter - than the Wilson NFL ball. Can\t recall anybody saying the NFL ball was ever bigger. QBs in our old touch league had the choice of using either, and it seemed to be divided with maybe slightly more preferring the NFL ball.

They're supposed to be the exact same size now, but they still seem a little different when you look at them side by side; maybe it's an optics thing - as AV says - with the stripes vs. no stripes ?

Absolutely. The J5V was a wider ball. In the late 80's the J5V was made smaller and was more similar to the NFL ball, and then Wilson took over as supplier for the league. The Wilson ball now is similar to the revamped J5V, and very close to the NFL ball.

Neely2005
09-14-2016, 12:04 PM

This is the CFL ball that we have:

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/team-sports/football/footballs/product/wilson-cfl-replica-football-with-pump-and-tee-330985943.html

Not sure what model it is but it has the old/last CFL logo on it.

Antwon
09-14-2016, 12:55 PM
In the CFL Blitz " I’ve never coached (Dan) LeFevour, but he impressed the (bleep) out of me last week. His mobility makes the Argos a different team. He takes a lot of pressure off of their offensive line. When Ray’s out there playing, he’s easy to blitz. You know Ray is going to be in the pocket. With LeFevour they can change his launching points and when he needs to he can escape the pocket and make plays and first downs with his legs"

If Lefevour keeps it up and gets hot down the stretch, I hope SM sticks with him.
My fear is he's start Ray when he says he's healthy, or rush to play Willy who has limited mobility.

The quote could be from every other defensive coordinator in the league regarding Ray.

AngeloV
09-14-2016, 01:23 PM
This is the CFL ball that we have:

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/team-sports/football/footballs/product/wilson-cfl-replica-football-with-pump-and-tee-330985943.html

Not sure what model it is but it has the old/last CFL logo on it.

OK, for the record, that is a replica composite ball. My guess is that is has a bar code on it. Completely different thing than an official game ball, which costs about $120. That's why I loaded up on them at the old locker room sales when they were clearing them out for $20.

popo
09-14-2016, 01:55 PM
OK, for the record, that is a replica composite ball. My guess is that is has a bar code on it. Completely different thing than an official game ball, which costs about $120. That's why I loaded up on them at the old locker room sales when they were clearing them out for $20.

Well worth it to get an official ball. Replica's are hard plastic - feels like a tire. In my experience they also get mis-shapen over time. Official balls have a soft leather feel. Much nicer to toss around and catch.

Neely2005
09-17-2016, 03:37 PM
I've got the Dan LeFevour fever!! Ok not really, but I might as well stay positive.

Me too!

argotom
09-17-2016, 03:48 PM
Me too!

Dan is the man, the QB of the future.

argotom
09-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Early incredible drive again, just when you think he cannot top the previous half.
He has now thrown for 4 TD's.

gilthethrill
09-17-2016, 04:01 PM
Take McDuffie out of the game....hope he comes back next week.

paulwoods13
09-17-2016, 05:15 PM
This thread has gone awfully quiet.

Neely2005
09-17-2016, 05:29 PM

Are you insinuating that it's Lefevour's fault that we lost?

Argo57
09-17-2016, 05:43 PM

I'll take the bait.
I guess you only preach patience when it suits your agenda.

ArgoGabe22
09-17-2016, 06:04 PM
I think LeFevour is a bit better than advertised but is pretty much what was advertised - a more than capable backup who can use his feet to keep a play/drive alive. He's been inconsistent in his entire CFL career so it's safe to assume that trend will continue.

But given this offence and offensive line, LeFevour may give us the best chance this season unless Ray can get back to being 100% healthy.

argotom
09-17-2016, 06:09 PM
I think LeFevour is a bit better than advertised but is pretty much what was advertised - a more than capable backup who can use his feet to keep a play/drive alive. He's been inconsistent in his entire CFL career so it's safe to assume that trend will continue.

But given this offence and offensive line, LeFevour may give us the best chance this season unless Ray can get back to being 100% healthy.

It's time to move on.
I saw a stat in today's game how Ray has missed 40% of the games with the Argos, a whopping 34 out of 84.
He is done.

gilthethrill
09-17-2016, 06:11 PM
It's time to move on.
I saw a stat in today's game how Ray has missed 40% of the games with the Argos, a whopping 34 out of 84.
He is done.

You don't think Ray will return this year Tom?

argotom
09-17-2016, 06:42 PM
You don't think Ray will return this year Tom?

I think he is injured more than the team is letting on.
I bet even the class guy that Ray is, he realizes it's over with the retirement announcement coming.

ArgoRavi
09-17-2016, 11:12 PM
LeFevour directed five impressive drives today with four leading to TD passes and the fifth - from the Toronto 4 yard line to the Winnipeg 30 in the 4th quarter - leading to a missed FG. The Argos didn't lose on Saturday because of Dan LeFevour.

AngeloV
09-17-2016, 11:49 PM
LeFevour directed five impressive drives today with four leading to TD passes and the fifth - from the Toronto 4 yard line to the Winnipeg 30 in the 4th quarter - leading to a missed FG. The Argos didn't lose on Saturday because of Dan LeFevour.

Agreed. He played really well. The first pick to me looked like a miscommunication between he and Gurley as Gurley appeared to run the pattern deeper than he anticipated. That's bad luck, but unfortunately it was the start of the momentum shift along with the very questionable RTP call on Foley which took away an INT.

Argo57
09-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Agreed. He played really well. The first pick to me looked like a miscommunication between he and Gurley as Gurley appeared to run the pattern deeper than he anticipated. That's bad luck, but unfortunately it was the start of the momentum shift along with the very questionable RTP call on Foley which took away an INT.

100% agree with you and Ravi.
LeFevour at the very least should turn out to be a really good change of pace guy, he is a gamer for sure.
Makes a lot of things happen with his mobility and seems to throw well on the run.
I find the change in the Argonaut offence quite refreshing actually.
D and ST play yesterday were both sub par and frustrating to watch.

AngeloV
09-18-2016, 09:28 AM
100% agree with you and Ravi.
LeFevour at the very least should turn out to be a really good change of pace guy, he is a gamer for sure.
Makes a lot of things happen with his mobility and seems to throw well on the run.
I find the change in the Argonaut offence quite refreshing actually.
D and ST play yesterday were both sub par and frustrating to watch.

I put it more on ST's yesterday which had actually played well lately but were awful against the Bombers. The secondary was pretty good yesterday, but when you decide to play with no true lb's, you become very vulnerable to the run. They really need Miles or Greenwood back ASAP.

Argo
09-21-2016, 10:33 AM
I see (interview) that Milanovich sticking with LeFevour to start the next game. This is appropriate and encouraging.

Neely2005
09-21-2016, 12:34 PM
I see (interview) that Milanovich sticking with LeFevour to start the next game. This is appropriate and encouraging.

Glad to hear that. I guess that means that he wasn't hurt at the end of the last game.

jojoheath
09-23-2016, 09:30 AM
I am very suspicious of Willy as a quarterback, the Bombers go from a joke to a cup contender over-night just by changing QB's. At this point Lefevour is our guy, and they should not remove him if he has a bad game.

Argo57
09-23-2016, 10:39 AM
I am very suspicious of Willy as a quarterback, the Bombers go from a joke to a cup contender over-night just by changing QB's. At this point Lefevour is our guy, and they should not remove him if he has a bad game.

You're not alone, I've never bee overly impressed with Willy, however the Argos have decided he is the guy moving forward.

AngeloV
09-23-2016, 01:14 PM
You're not alone, I've never bee overly impressed with Willy, however the Argos have decided he is the guy moving forward.

Not going to lie, I thought a lot of Willy the past couple of years, but thought maybe his injuries had caught up to him this season as he looked way more tentative than he did to me in the past. I really hope a fresh start on a new team is all he needs. Of course, if Lefevour can keep playing well, then we'll have to see what happens.

PullTogether73
09-23-2016, 02:59 PM
Yah, I can't say that I don't think Willy is capable. I'm not upset that the Argos got him. I am upset at the high price they paid in a desperation, season-saving hopeful move to get him.

I don't think we have seen how he truly performs, simply because he has been banged around behind a porous Bombers o-line the past couple of years.
Nonetheless, the success of the Bombers since Nichols was made starter is astounding (I don't find Nichols very impressive tbh), so I am left wondering about Willy's true capabilities.

paulwoods13
09-23-2016, 04:19 PM
A few other personnel have also changed on the Bombers since Willy was benched, and some of the injury replacements seem to be better than the originals. Despite winning seven straight games, I'm not sold on Nichols as a great QB. No question he has looked good through this stretch, but they've beaten up on some bad teams and also had some beneficial calls and some outstanding defensive performances. It's not Nichols who is chiefly responsible for the streak, IMO. Big test for them this week.

AngeloV
09-23-2016, 04:40 PM
A few other personnel have also changed on the Bombers since Willy was benched, and some of the injury replacements seem to be better than the originals. Despite winning seven straight games, I'm not sold on Nichols as a great QB. No question he has looked good through this stretch, but they've beaten up on some bad teams and also had some beneficial calls and some outstanding defensive performances. It's not Nichols who is chiefly responsible for the streak, IMO. Big test for them this week.

I agree Paul, but to his credit, he isn't turning the ball over.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8