View Full Version : Argos sign DB Quinton Pointer a day after Ham releases him.

TheHammer
08-26-2016, 01:06 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/08/26/201692/

Happy for Pointer who seemed like a cool dude. Glad he caught on with another team.

But of a bit of dip in talent for Toronto, going from Keon Raymond to Quinton Pointer.

R.J
08-26-2016, 01:08 PM
Not a fan of this signing. Pointer was pretty bad in the backfield for Hamilton.

ArgoGabe22
08-26-2016, 01:16 PM
I hope this has no correlation with the Raymond release.

Wobbler
08-26-2016, 02:09 PM
He might have some insight into Hamilton's defensive strategy. Now we should sign Underwood and ask him about their offense...

AngeloV
08-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Not a fan of this signing. Pointer was pretty bad in the backfield for Hamilton.

Yeah, another smallish DB, not exactly what they are needing at this point.

R.J
08-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Yeah, another smallish DB, not exactly what they are needing at this point.
Yeah, when did Burke become our DC again ? lol

gilthethrill
08-26-2016, 05:15 PM
I thought he was dominant in the 53-7 thrashing of Saskatchewan! But as a comic in all seriousness, I was hoping the Argos could have signed either or both Mitchell White and Dominique Ellis when they were cut adrift by Montreal at the end of TC.

R.J
08-26-2016, 05:20 PM
I thought he was dominant in the 53-7 thrashing of Saskatchewan! But as a comic in all seriousness, I was hoping the Argos could have signed either or both Mitchell White and Dominique Ellis when they were cut adrift by Montreal at the end of TC.
I would've loved to have seen Mitchell White in double blue. Dominque Ellis: meh.

Argo
08-26-2016, 06:53 PM
Quinton Porter ?! How many backup QBs do we need ?!

Argo
08-26-2016, 06:53 PM
Just kidding...

Argo57
08-26-2016, 08:55 PM

Starting to look like the Argonauts are "grasping at straws" in regards to the secondary halfway through the season, not a great sign.
Maybe Barker should contact Geoff Tisdale and have a look.👍

ArgoGabe22
08-26-2016, 10:44 PM
In 2012 when things weren't looking so good, the Argos picked up spare parts later in the season like Etienne Boulay, Walter Spencer, Ken Yon Rambo and Adriano Belli. All of which I would think would be viewed as desperate moves.

In the end, it all worked out. So here's hoping the latest moves end up working out.

Gill The Thrill
08-27-2016, 12:35 AM
Starting to look like the Argonauts are "grasping at straws" in regards to the secondary halfway through the season, not a great sign.
Maybe Barker should contact Geoff Tisdale and have a look.Maybe give Wayne Shaw a call, he can't be any worse at his age now and would at least be a ratio breaker.

Before someone calls me on it because they think I'm being serious, you should know I'm kidding. The secondary is extremely weak for the second year in a row. Jefferson and Heath are considered the keepers on this sorry unit, but even they're not that consistent. Raymond has lost a step and it's been noticeable this season. He had a nice pick six to open the game vs Edmonton, but was chasing Reilly's pinpoint throws the rest of the game.

Picking up guys that are just about done like Raymond, and bringing back guys like Issac whose best days in double blue are behind him it really shouldn't be a surprise that the Argos D is starting to leak badly and giving up plenty of points. You may get away with it in the first third of the season when the offenses are not as polished, but now that they're getting refined, knowing what their strong points are, and just as significantly know what the Argos Achilles heel is, their secondary, it's been easy pickings for opposing QB's. Masoli, Harris, Nichols with hardly any game action and Reilly have ripped this secondary to shreds. Figures only Kevin Glenn has made them look competent at BMO this season, that's not saying much.

Gill The Thrill
08-27-2016, 12:40 AM
In 2012 when things weren't looking so good, the Argos picked up spare parts later in the season like Etienne Boulay, Walter Spencer, Ken Yon Rambo and Adriano Belli. All of which I would think would be viewed as desperate moves.

In the end, it all worked out. So here's hoping the latest moves end up working out.Boulay was a decent hitter, better in that category than everyone playing in this secondary now. I thought Hawkins, whom they cut after camp was a better hitter than everyone they've got this year. I just hope the Redblacks decide to release Pruneau, but I don't think Campbell will, becuase we could use a Canadian at Safety who can stay in the lineup. I like Gabriel and Matt Black, but one of them, if not both always seems to be injured and can't stay in the lineup.

Really this team is a far cry from 2012...I'll just say two last names to end that comparison quickly. Watkins and Carroll.

argolio
08-27-2016, 12:47 AM
I thought he was dominant in the 53-7 thrashing of Saskatchewan! But as a comic in all seriousness, I was hoping the Argos could have signed either or both Mitchell White and Dominique Ellis when they were cut adrift by Montreal at the end of TC.Thank you Bobby Bittman.

Gill The Thrill
08-27-2016, 12:56 AM
thank you bobby bittman.
789how are yaaaaa!

Argo57
08-27-2016, 08:48 AM
Thank you Bobby Bittman.

One of the best comedians to ever grace our planet.

Argo57
08-27-2016, 08:52 AM

In the end, it all worked out. So here's hoping the latest moves end up working out.

It's natural to try to compare what's going on this season to the Championship team in 2012 (I do it myself sometimes) but it is strictly wishful thinking IMO.

ArgoGabe22
08-27-2016, 09:06 AM
It's natural to try to compare what's going on this season to the Championship team in 2012 (I do it myself sometimes) but it is strictly wishful thinking IMO.

Not so much a comparison but rather more of a reminder to see what happens first before going all pessimistic. This goes for all transactions. Too many the sky is falling posts lately IMO.

Argo57
08-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Not so much a comparison but rather more of a reminder to see what happens first before going all pessimistic. This goes for all transactions. Too many the sky is falling posts lately IMO.

Sometimes on this site the realistic approach gets painted by some as being overly negative or pessimistic.
When they suck and play like shit tell it like it is, conversely when they play well fans get excited and praise the team, doesn't make you any less of a fan in fact in my eyes it shows some objectivity instead of blind faith.
Sometimes the chronic Argo apologist approach gets nauseating as well TBH.
Fans who go to the stadium are simply voicing their displeasure at the on field product that they are paying to watch (which year to date has been pretty crappy), fans at home watching simply tune it out.
Not a great scenario either way.
Both the Fan590 (Vendetta) and TSN1050 (Wheeler) had TFC personnel on for lengthy interviews and were really talking up the teams on field success this season and their loyal fanbase, on field success tends to breed interest.
Listening to this drove home the fact that the Argos continue to be an afterthought in Toronto.

KCargosfan
08-29-2016, 10:34 AM
But of a bit of dip in talent for Toronto, going from Keon Raymond to Quinton Pointer.

It should be noted that no team has picked up Raymond yet.

OV Argo
08-29-2016, 09:15 PM
One of the best comedians to ever grace our planet.

And one of his side-kicks - William B Williams - was once part-owner of the Argos.

:p

OV Argo
08-29-2016, 09:19 PM
It should be noted that no team has picked up Raymond yet.

That is a classic line when some want to belittle a player - "see, nobody has signed him yet = he must be no good" ???

Raymond is doubtful to sign for anything close to CFL minimum wage; and vet or not, he would have to learn and fit in with a new team; somebody in need (injuries strike) down the play-off run, might be interested in Raymond though.

Waiting to see the superstar replacement Barker & Stubler are going to trot out at OLB; should be a big difference maker for the D in the upcoming game.

Wobbler
08-29-2016, 11:43 PM
That is a classic line when some want to belittle a player - "see, nobody has signed him yet = he must be no good" ???
We all know that Raymond is good - the fact that he wasn't immediately signed doesn't change that. It does indicate that we may have overestimated his value somewhat, though.[/QUOTE]

Argo57
08-30-2016, 05:46 PM
And one of his side-kicks - William B Williams - was once part-owner of the Argos.

:p

Skip Bittman wasn't blessed with his brothers talent.
SCTV is timeless.

Argo57
08-30-2016, 05:47 PM

Raymond is doubtful to sign for anything close to CFL minimum wage; and vet or not, he would have to learn and fit in with a new team; somebody in need (injuries strike) down the play-off run, might be interested in Raymond though.

Waiting to see the superstar replacement Barker & Stubler are going to trot out at OLB; should be a big difference maker for the D in the upcoming game.

Will be interesting to see the master plan unfold.

Argo57
08-30-2016, 05:49 PM
We all know that Raymond is good - the fact that he wasn't immediately signed doesn't change that. It does indicate that we may have overestimated his value somewhat, though.[/QUOTE]

Or other teams are satisfied with the chemistry of their D secondaries, novel concept as we are nearing the halfway point of the season.

KCargosfan
08-31-2016, 02:00 AM

Usually players who don't suck get picked up by other teams. Sorry you don't grasp that.

And how do you know Raymond wouldn't sign for something close to the minimum? Are you friends with him or something?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8