PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Game Day Advice

Raymer
09-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Hey guys, long time reader but first time posting.
I apologize if this is not the best place to post, but sociables seems a little slower than in here.
I am from Alberta (life time Argo fan) but I am getting sent to Toronto for a week for work. Of course I instantly bought a ticket to Sunday's game, but am a little worried about getting around. I am staying by the airport and was just hoping for some tips on my best way to get to the game. I would prefer to cab so I could have a beverage or two but wasn't sure if that would be practical or not. Any advice would be appreciated!!

ArgoGabe22
09-06-2016, 01:43 PM
If you can get to the airport, there's a new Pearson Express train from Pearson to Union Station. From Union you could take a street car or even a taxi (I guess) to BMO.

R.J
09-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Hey guys, long time reader but first time posting.
I apologize if this is not the best place to post, but sociables seems a little slower than in here.
I am from Alberta (life time Argo fan) but I am getting sent to Toronto for a week for work. Of course I instantly bought a ticket to Sunday's game, but am a little worried about getting around. I am staying by the airport and was just hoping for some tips on my best way to get to the game. I would prefer to cab so I could have a beverage or two but wasn't sure if that would be practical or not. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Welcome aboard Raymer.

The Go train is the best option to BMO IMO.

paulwoods13
09-06-2016, 04:18 PM
No GO train from the airport, but you can get off the UP Express at Union and then get on a westbound Lakeshore GO train for one stop. Very easy and the GO trains run every half-hour.

shayman
09-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Sunday afternoon, I'd take a cab. If you are merely "near" the airport, a cab would be faster than hiking over to the airport, figuring out the UP Express, changing trains at Union etc.

Of course if it was rush hour on a weekday the train would be way better. But sunday afternoon? Take a cab.

R.J
09-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Isn't the UP express cheaper now ?

ArgoZ
09-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Sunday afternoon? I would take the 190 airport express bus to Kipling station, then subway to Dufferin Station, then bus or street car to the end of Dufferin (Dufferin Gate Loop), which is the entrance to the CNE. Walk from there. Total price would be a $12 day pass from TTC. This may sound complicated, but it isn't. Look at a TTC Map for more clarification. Cab would be fastest and easiest if you don't mind spending $100 to travel there and back.

paulwoods13
09-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Every time I'm anywhere near a highway on a Sunday traffic seems as bad as weekday rush hour. If you're taking a cab instead of transit, leave yourself plenty of time and bring lots of cash.

Raymer
09-07-2016, 12:34 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. This might be a silly question, but are the trains safe. I know in Edmonton the transit leaves a lot to be desired. Also is the tailgate worth checking out? I wasn't sure since I will be by myself.

PullTogether73
09-07-2016, 12:37 AM
Every time I'm anywhere near a highway on a Sunday traffic seems as bad as weekday rush hour. If you're taking a cab instead of transit, leave yourself plenty of time and bring lots of cash.

Agreed.
Particularly in the afternoon/early evening.

The TTC suggestion above sounds complicated and tedious to me. I can't imagine someone new to the city doing that.

The Union/Pearson shuttle combined with the GO train to Exhibition station seems the best option to me.

R.J
09-07-2016, 01:08 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. This might be a silly question, but are the trains safe. I know in Edmonton the transit leaves a lot to be desired. Also is the tailgate worth checking out? I wasn't sure since I will be by myself.
I haven't been to the tailgate, so can't help yeah there, but I'd highly recommend the Shipyard.

The Union/Pearson shuttle combined with the GO train to Exhibition station seems the best option to me.
Agreed.

ArgoGabe22
09-07-2016, 09:24 AM

The trains are very safe. There is no need for Toronto to have see-thru public washrooms like they have in Edmonton if that tells you anything.

Neely2005
09-07-2016, 11:33 AM

Yes the trains are safe. Yes the Tailgate and/or the Shipyard are worth checking out.

The Shipyard is basically a Tailgate for those who aren't driving. The tallboys are more expensive at the Shipyard though.

Scooter McCray
09-07-2016, 11:43 AM
What in the name of Kraut is happening on the Edmonton transit system?

ArgoZ
09-07-2016, 08:06 PM
Agreed.
Particularly in the afternoon/early evening.

The TTC suggestion above sounds complicated and tedious to me. I can't imagine someone new to the city doing that.

Nice to have options. UP and GO ($24 and $10 round trips) is almost three times the total price of TCC. Should be ok for a single in this case, but add bodies to pay for and public transit doesn't look so bad. If a subway ride, booked ended by two short bus rides (one express by the way), is to complicated, then one is not familiar or confident with navigating any city.

Neely2005
09-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Isn't the UP express cheaper now ?

Yes it is. Significantly.

DoubleBlue_Red
09-08-2016, 12:33 PM
People can't figure out how to get to a stadium in Toronto, no wonder this franchise is in trouble...

Raymer
09-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Thanks again guys I think I got it figured out. My coworkers seem to agree with the airport train to union idea (doing bluejays game too, I hate Rogers too but couldn't pass up the chance). I was a little disappointed to hear about Ray. I really hope they go after a guy like Franklin. I just don't have faith in Kilgore for this year. The team is not that far off, BC game and even Hamilton game showed that. Losing Ray changes things big time sadly.

R.J
09-08-2016, 04:37 PM
People can't figure out how to get to a stadium in Toronto, no wonder this franchise is in trouble...
This OP doesn't live in the GTA, so it's understandable.

PullTogether73
09-08-2016, 04:42 PM

People WHO DON'T LIVE IN THE GTA ASKED FOR HELP FROM GTA RESIDENTS how to get to a stadium in Toronto.

GTA residents getting to the stadium isn't a reason this franchise is in trouble.

AngeloV
09-08-2016, 04:58 PM
People WHO DON'T LIVE IN THE GTA ASKED FOR HELP FROM GTA RESIDENTS how to get to a stadium in Toronto.

GTA residents getting to the stadium isn't a reason this franchise is in trouble.

Wasn't even worth responding to. That was a troll post to be sure.

Raymer
09-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Just wanted to follow up with this thread. So I made the game, but was a little mad as I missed about half of the first quarter.
The stadium is beautiful and the atmosphere was great. I was surprised at the amount of people wearing jerseys and merchandise in general. It was a great experience and glad I went. Even being alone wasn't that bad as I sat next to a nice guy who put up with me all game. I sat in section 124 behind the bench and the seats were great. The win was a nice touch! The trade afterwards well that's another thread.

Side note there was a bunch of people in Foley jerseys right in front of me. I would have to assume that was his family, more specifically his brother?? The famous cfl board poster

shayman
09-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Glad you made it and had a good time! But inquiring minds want to know: how did you wind up getting to the stadium? :-)

Will
09-12-2016, 12:21 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at the game, and yes in all likelihood you saw the infamous Area 51!

Raymer
09-12-2016, 12:54 PM
I took the UP to Union (super easy) then the GO to lakeshore west (little more tricky with not knowing how system operated ie. Waiting for platform number) the GO was a gongshow with Jay's game coming out

7dj83r8f78t4alf8