View Full Version : Pull together

paulwoods13
09-09-2016, 02:07 PM
I posted in one of the threads that have recently become severely polarized that Argo fans seem to have a unique ability to hate on one another. I am sure I have contributed to this on many occasions by forcefully and/or unreasonably or disrespectfully arguing points or "needling" others with whose opinions I differed. I want to apologize in general for my part in the us-against-us mentality that seems to be prevailing here. With a handful of welcome exceptions (supporters of other teams who post here on occasion), we are all Argo fans and we all want the team to succeed both on and off the field. Frustration and even anger is understandable when we're not doing the former and arguably progressing fairly slowly on the latter. Our 143-year-old motto is worth keeping in mind at times like these.

AngeloV
09-09-2016, 02:11 PM
I don't know Paul, I kind of like your Evil side.

R.J
09-09-2016, 02:21 PM
So picking on Argotom is okay for you guys, but I guess I've crossed the line now ?

Will
09-09-2016, 02:40 PM
So picking on Argotom is okay for you guys, but I guess I've crossed the line now ?

Paul is trying to extend an olive branch.

Neely2005
09-09-2016, 02:49 PM
I have no problem whatsoever if someone has a different opinion than me. I also have no problem challenging opinions that I don't agree with and I certainly don't mind it when people do the same to me as I enjoy a good discussion especially since many on this board are more knowledgeable and/or have been following the team longer than I have.

I do think that the personal attacks need to stop, attack the opinion not the poster.

However sometimes I think that due to the lack of tone in the written word people read emotion into the post that the poster did Not intend. Kind of like this:

https://vimeo.com/121923151

https://vimeo.com/121923151?ref=em-share

:)

R.J
09-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Paul is trying to extend an olive branch.
If you say so Don Argo.

Neely2005
09-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Come on SnowRogue it's Friday afternoon, the sun is shining and the forecast looks good for our last summer home game and Tailgate. Try to cheer up!
:-)

1971GreyCup
09-09-2016, 05:39 PM
I posted in one of the threads that have recently become severely polarized that Argo fans seem to have a unique ability to hate on one another. I am sure I have contributed to this on many occasions by forcefully and/or unreasonably or disrespectfully arguing points or "needling" others with whose opinions I differed. I want to apologize in general for my part in the us-against-us mentality that seems to be prevailing here. With a handful of welcome exceptions (supporters of other teams who post here on occasion), we are all Argo fans and we all want the team to succeed both on and off the field. Frustration and even anger is understandable when we're not doing the former and arguably progressing fairly slowly on the latter. Our 143-year-old motto is worth keeping in mind at times like these.

Well said Paul! This forum is full of passion, however it is interpreted. The biggest threat currently to the franchise is apathy. To me, there is no evidence of apathy on this forum! I appreciate you reaching out on this thread.

PullTogether73
09-09-2016, 06:50 PM

If you say so Don Argo.

Someone needs to step away for a bit and cool off.

Argo57
09-09-2016, 07:20 PM

Well stated Paul, sometimes we have differing views but that's ok, healthy debate is good IMO.
As 1971 stated apathy is the enemy of the Argonauts which is why many here are so unhappy with what is happening on the field.
A customer who takes time to complain is still a customer, it when they don't complain anymore and simply move on you have a major problem.
Sometimes the struggle on forums like this is finding the correct way to express your opinions in a way that people can truly understand where you are coming from, which is also the danger with e-mails at work.
I met and chatted with Paul a couple of years ago in Guelph (Toronto-Hamilton game) when he was promoting his book and he is a very nice guy to chat with so when I read his posts it changes my interpretation of what I am reading.
Personal insults should be off limits (except when questioning the strength of Angelo's throwing arm), you never know what is happening in people's lives to which forums like this should be enjoyable.
Go Argos!!

argolio
09-09-2016, 07:45 PM
With injuries and less than satisfying performances so far, it's not hard to speculate that we could really struggle the rest of the way. If that happens, I choose to focus on watching out for the development of individual players, and general enjoyment of the game.

But I'm still going into each game thinking we can win. No one is taking away my hope.

ArgoZ
09-09-2016, 08:53 PM
I'm sure we are all pretty good guys on here. As I mentioned before, forums let us become a little more brazen then we would in real life. The Argos are struggling and we're all frustrated. I'll try to get along better too!

LLB997
09-09-2016, 08:53 PM
i love each and every poster on this forum. Even that psychopath Midnight Blue wherever he went.

Argo57
09-09-2016, 08:58 PM
i love each and every poster on this forum. Even that psychopath Midnight Blue wherever he went.

Always enjoyed his take on things!

Scooter McCray
09-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Argo fans are for real. They have to be to have weathered the last 30 years. The bottom line is we all legitimately care about this team and want nothing more than for the rest of the city to appreciate them the way we do. Keep your heads up and if the organization does check in on this site let's give them some constructive things to think about.

Ron
09-10-2016, 03:52 AM
IMO the tone change is related to knowing the team has a safe long term future. In the past we always wondered if the team would be here in 5 years but that's gone now. So more "passion" is directed to the football operation and folks get madder than before if the team does not perform. Especially when it looks like the team should be performing better than it has.

It also boils down to the new dynamic in society where if you disagree with someone they take it personally. (hater syndrome)

Personally I am embracing this season. Argo history has shown that they need a real sucky season to occur before they can win the GC again and this looks like it may be it.

KCargosfan
09-10-2016, 04:19 AM
KCargosfan can be kind of a dbag sometimes, but other than him, most everyone here is good people (except you, OVA, you dirty Canadian!)

Good to see there is a Key and Peele fan on here. This is another good one of theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMrNQbW5Am8

PullTogether73
09-10-2016, 06:53 AM
I think a lot of the current frustration on this forum stems from a build up of frustrations over the past couple of years, coupled with new optimistic expectations.

Think about how fed up we all were last year with the ownership limbo situation, then the insult of having our first "home" game in Fort MacMurray, Alberta! The constant schedule inequality driven by Rogers open hostility to the Argonauts, culminating in having three more home games moved away from Toronto.

Then, a ray of hope - new, stable, and well-heeled ownership!
A move to a more intimate stadium promising a better atmosphere. Surely the populace would rush back to watch the Argonauts again!
Nope.
And now the team is playing (I'll be generous here) inconsistently.

As dedicated fans, we have had much to endure recently.
I can't say that it should be a surprise that frustration is high.
We may have to adjust our expectations a bit as the recent structural changes take hold.

Pull together indeed.

Neely2005
09-10-2016, 11:23 AM
With injuries and less than satisfying performances so far, it's not hard to speculate that we could really struggle the rest of the way. If that happens, I choose to focus on watching out for the development of individual players, and general enjoyment of the game.

But I'm still going into each game thinking we can win. No one is taking away my hope.

Well said! It sucks to lose but we're still getting to watch our team play a game that we all enjoy watching.

#FirstWorldProblems
:)

AngeloV
09-10-2016, 03:38 PM
For me, it goes like this:

Yes, I may be overly sensitive, and admittedly stir the pot a lot. It just really bothers me to see posts over and over again criticizing Milanovich especially, and Ray. These are 2 good guys that are also the easiest targets on the team. Some of these insults thrown their way are just so personal, it can get nauseating. I'd get it if they were bad dudes, that have had shady issues in the past, but to the best of my knowledge, neither have beat their significant others, or run into any other issues that would deem them bad people.

I'm an Argos fan, so I support the people leading my team, and in this case, also believe both have been good at what they do. If that makes my a shill in OV's eyes, so be it. Last I checked, I wasn't part of the media, so there is no standard that says I have to be 100% objective at all times.

Lastly, as I mentioned before, if you are going to make little sarcastic comments about certain posts on here, (which I admittedly do) than don't be such a hypocrite and call foul when someone gives it back to you.

doubleblue
09-10-2016, 11:14 PM
I confess I'm very moody reading this forum.:mad: :D:confused::angry::bored::o:(:rolleyes: But in the end I can still :)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8