View Full Version : Some Winnipeg fans hit a disgusting new low

Ron
09-13-2016, 02:44 AM
Wish it was only one or two. (Note: the vast majority are great people)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/banjo-bowl-fan-beer-son-1.3758916

KCargosfan
09-13-2016, 04:03 AM
Wish it was only one or two. (Note: the vast majority are great people)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/banjo-bowl-fan-beer-son-1.3758916

Not excusing the behavior, it's about as despicable as you can get, but pro football games can be dangerous places to be sometimes, especially late in the game when everyone is boozed up.

If I went to a road game in Oakland wearing Chiefs red, I would probably get the sh** kicked out of me, if not worse. That doesn't mean it's right, but there has to be some awareness of what you're getting into.

People are probably more civil in the CFL than the NFL, however.

PullTogether73
09-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Not excusing the behavior, it's about as despicable as you can get, but pro football games can be dangerous places to be sometimes, especially late in the game when everyone is boozed up.

If I went to a road game in Oakland wearing Chiefs red, I would probably get the sh** kicked out of me, if not worse. That doesn't mean it's right, but there has to be some awareness of what you're getting into.

People are probably more civil in the CFL than the NFL, however.

Sadly, I have to agree with the "awareness of what you're getting into" statement.
It doesn't condone abuse by fans, but realistically, there are parts of some U.S. cities one just doesn't go to after a certain time in the evening. The same applies here. The woman said this was the first game for both she and her son, so they obviously weren't aware of what may transpire.

KC's example of the "Black Hole" of Oakland is well made. It is about the only NFL team stadium at which I would not attend a game (probably even if I was a Raiders fan!)
Okay, I probably wouldn't attend an NFL game in Philth-adelphia either.

AngeloV
09-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Not surprising. I have said in another thread that Winnipeg fans have a really nasty reputation.

shayman
09-13-2016, 11:56 AM

Well .... that sounds like you *are* excusing the behaviour. "You should have known this would happen" is really not a helpful reaction.

We all need to work better at making visiting fans feel welcome, and if you see home team fans acting this badly towards visitors - step up, say something, get them to stop. It's a sporting event, it's entertainment, it's supposed to be fun, it is not supposed to be a literal battleground.

"Pro football games can be dangerous places to be." If this is normal, I guess we better give up on attracting new fans, families with kids, etc.

Wobbler
09-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Yeah... I don't think that should be "expected behavior" in a football stadium unless a lot of people are sneaking in cocaine. Drunk people do dumb things, but hassling a nine year old and his Mom is beyond the pale.

Argo57
09-13-2016, 06:40 PM
Well .... that sounds like you *are* excusing the behaviour. "You should have known this would happen" is really not a helpful reaction.

We all need to work better at making visiting fans feel welcome, and if you see home team fans acting this badly towards visitors - step up, say something, get them to stop. It's a sporting event, it's entertainment, it's supposed to be fun, it is not supposed to be a literal battleground.

"Pro football games can be dangerous places to be." If this is normal, I guess we better give up on attracting new fans, families with kids, etc.

Agreed Shayman, beyond belief TBH.
Last I checked sporting events should be family friendly events, great way to attract the younger generation to the CFL.

KCargosfan
09-14-2016, 02:53 AM

Ever heard of street smarts? There's no victim blaming, but common sense does have something to do with it. If Winnipeg has the reputation of being a s**t show during the Banjo Bowl and I run around wearing a Green jacket, I shouldn't be surprised if I get something thrown at me or beer poured on me, or possibly assaulted if I'm an adult.

KCargosfan
09-14-2016, 02:56 AM
Agreed Shayman, beyond belief TBH.
Last I checked sporting events should be family friendly events, great way to attract the younger generation to the CFL.

That's a nice pollyanna thought, but unfortunately not reasonable for a lot of football venues. I'm a Chiefs fan, and I don't go to games because of the element of fans the games bring out.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8