PDA

View Full Version : Oct. 10: Stampeders @ Argonauts

PullTogether73
10-05-2016, 03:08 PM
The "future of the Argos" at quarterback.
Revamped receiving corps.
League leader in interceptions traded away.
This game is almost an afterthought following the activity of the past few weeks.

I expect the Stampeders to quietly come into town, slaughter the Argonauts, and quietly leave.:sick:

Mightygoose
10-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Watch this become the ultimate trap game. Stamps take it easy, Willy becomes MOP just for one day. Argos win by 12...all will be right in Argoland again.

Then they'll drop their last 3 games by a combined 97 points.

Argo
10-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Watch this become the ultimate trap game. Stamps take it easy, Willy becomes MOP just for one day. Argos win by 12...all will be right in Argoland again.

Our superbly coached and managed football team can easily trounce the Stamps ! (*)

(*) The Stamps' backups' backups.

Wobbler
10-05-2016, 05:45 PM
I'm excited to see what Noel and Jones can do for the offense. It would be unwise to expect a lot at this point, but we'll get an idea of whether they're starter material for next year.

And obviously it'll be a test of Milanovich's assertion that the removal of our other receivers has produced a better team. Fingers crossed...

gilthethrill
10-05-2016, 06:00 PM
After suffering through that mess on Sunday in Montreal, I vowed not to attend this game. However, I have relented. If the Argos had defeated Montreal, I envisioned this game as a trap game for Calgary. But since the collapse continued on Sunday, Calgary should have this game won in the 1st quarter...much like Raheem Cato and Montreal did....

doubleblue
10-05-2016, 07:35 PM
I'm excited to see what Noel and Jones can do for the offense. It would be unwise to expect a lot at this point, but we'll get an idea of whether they're starter material for next year.

And obviously it'll be a test of Milanovich's assertion that the removal of our other receivers has produced a better team. Fingers crossed...

I to am looking forward to seeing Jones and Noel perform. I'm expecting great things from them just not yet but good players IMO always show glimpses of what they can become. I guess it is too early for the young O-Linemen Campbell and Sackey to see much time on the field. But you never know with Milanovich. He thought Kilgore was ready and he wasn't and threw Sewell in at LT against Chick a year ago. Pretty well destroyed both of them.

Ron
10-05-2016, 07:43 PM
With the big 3 slackers gone I expect we'll see a bit more passes down field this game.

Argo57
10-05-2016, 07:53 PM
With the big 3 slackers gone I expect we'll see a bit more passes down field this game.

Hopefully you're right Ron, no substitute for heart and hustle.
Auditions for 2017 have started.

Neely2005
10-05-2016, 08:21 PM

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me.

Al&Kat
10-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me.

You guys are missing the biggest factor, the 2016 Argo Defence sucks!

how can BLM and Messam not just steamroll on Monday, against D like the Argos.
Yes Willy might be better and the new receivers might impress, but when the D allows
35-45 points per game, what's the diff?

Tobythor
10-05-2016, 11:05 PM
My spread would be Stamps +20.5

ArgoRavi
10-05-2016, 11:59 PM
I to am looking forward to seeing Jones and Noel perform. I'm expecting great things from them just not yet but good players IMO always show glimpses of what they can become. I guess it is too early for the young O-Linemen Campbell and Sackey to see much time on the field. But you never know with Milanovich. He thought Kilgore was ready and he wasn't and threw Sewell in at LT against Chick a year ago. Pretty well destroyed both of them.

If Milanovich doesn't give the young Canadians a chance, he gets crap from some fans. Then if he gives them a chance and they fail, he still gets crap from some fans. Sewell btw was "thrown in" against Chick two years ago and had ample opportunity to bounce back from that poor game.

argolio
10-06-2016, 01:18 AM
I expect us to be far more competitive than the Montreal game. And that's as far as I'll predict.

Scooter McCray
10-06-2016, 10:22 AM
The team may respond positively with the malcontents gone. The young receivers may play with wild abandon. Calgary could be in for a come back to earth moment. They had their emotional game against Hamilton. They flew back west and now fly back east again. If by some miracle the Argos beat the Stamps their confidence may soar down the stretch. We'll see.

Argo
10-06-2016, 10:30 AM
The team may respond positively with the malcontents gone. The young receivers may play with wild abandon. Calgary could be in for a come back to earth moment. They had their emotional game against Hamilton. They flew back west and now fly back east again. If by some miracle the Argos beat the Stamps their confidence may soar down the stretch. We'll see.

The problems the Stamps may have include playing (way) down to the opposition, show-up-to-win syndrome, playing too many backups. If it's normal Stampeders' football, it's no contest.

1971GreyCup
10-06-2016, 10:51 AM
I expect us to be far more competitive than the Montreal game. And that's as far as I'll predict.

SM teams do rise to the occasion and this may be a rare event. Consistency has been the problem. What happened to the team that played BC hard. If they arise to the occasion, that would be very nice, especially in front of a home crowd. I am not expecting it, but it would be a welcome surprise.

Wobbler
10-08-2016, 01:46 PM
DeVier Posey has been moved to the active roster, so there's a good chance he'll play on Monday.

Reggiemac
10-08-2016, 04:08 PM
I hope that we will be able to dress the same defensive backfield for te second consecutive game which should enable us to utilize our entire defensive package which should mean a pressure defence to throw BLM off his game. But can only work if our DBs play well. And I hope to see breakout games from Jones and Noel and a more spirited argo team with the slackers gone. Its put up or shut up time.

gilthethrill
10-08-2016, 05:51 PM
DeVier Posey has been moved to the active roster, so there's a good chance he'll play on Monday.

The Argos website still shows Posey on the PR. Is it possible the site has not been updated?

Wobbler
10-08-2016, 06:00 PM
The Argos website still shows Posey on the PR. Is it possible the site has not been updated?
Shocking, but true...

doubleblue
10-08-2016, 06:14 PM
If Milanovich doesn't give the young Canadians a chance, he gets crap from some fans. Then if he gives them a chance and they fail, he still gets crap from some fans. Sewell btw was "thrown in" against Chick two years ago and had ample opportunity to bounce back from that poor game.

We will never know about Sewell, he was never given another chance that I can recall. Would have been nice to see him get a shot at right guard.

gilthethrill
10-08-2016, 06:19 PM
We will never know about Sewell, he was never given another chance that I can recall. Would have been nice to see him get a shot at right guard.

It sounded like Sewell never had the desire to really be a pro player. That tells me he never worked hard enough to improve his skill level, thus never earning that second chance.

REAL
10-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Argos' Malena to make CFL debut http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/08/argos-malena-to-make-cfl-debut?token=d50227722f41a875c6cb721422b44d5d

Will be interesting roster today ,,,,, who is playing specials will also be interesting with Jones & Noel promoted to starters.

gilthethrill
10-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Argos' Malena to make CFL debut http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/08/argos-malena-to-make-cfl-debut?token=d50227722f41a875c6cb721422b44d5d

Will be interesting roster today ,,,,, who is playing specials will also be interesting with Jones & Noel promoted to starters.

I check the roster on the Argo website frequently. I read a post where we signed this guy, but I never saw him on the roster anywhere.

REAL
10-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Me too, but he is there today #34, you can see him in the background of some of the recent SM videos practicing. Why is Kack not given the call first! He knows the O.

Skinny G
10-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Depth Chart is up.... is Foley injured?

http://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2016/10/ArgosDepth_vsCGY_Oct10.pdf

Wobbler
10-09-2016, 12:53 PM
In addition to the new guys, Miles is finally back. Nice to see.

OV Argo
10-09-2016, 12:59 PM

http://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2016/10/ArgosDepth_vsCGY_Oct10.pdf

Would be very interesting if Foley is not injured or nicked but just got sat down? - he may not be the force at DE he was in his CFL prime, but have to think he provides vet leadership and still plays hard / with a motor. Hickman has done mostly little this season at DE - I could see no reason for him favored to start over Foley; a rotation like they've been doing with Lemon, Foley & Hickman hasn't been that productive though, except for Lemon getting some pass rush and sacks.

But - that depth chart shows 9 NI starters - 4 on the O-line, plus 3 at receiver (IF Noel & Jones both start/ play most of the reps at receiver); then Greenwood at OLB and Black/Gabriel at safety. 9 NI starters is already pretty radical to a GOB. 10 NI starters with Foley at DE is probably gob mind-boggling and not do-able. ;o)

paulwoods13
10-09-2016, 01:07 PM
When was the last time Foley made a significant play? He has not played noticeably better than Hickman IMO. I'm more concerned about the absence of Waud from the roster because he has (or had) potential to develop into a starter. I haven't heard if he is hurt but sure hope so.

Wobbler
10-09-2016, 01:35 PM
We need to sit two INTs, I believe, and the way Malena is being talked up I assume he's safe and that Martin and Posey will be the guys.

OV Argo
10-09-2016, 02:31 PM
When was the last time Foley made a significant play? He has not played noticeably better than Hickman IMO. I'm more concerned about the absence of Waud from the roster because he has (or had) potential to develop into a starter. I haven't heard if he is hurt but sure hope so.\

And Hickman has clearly not played better than Foley; plus Foley has way more CFL experience, and is a longer serving Argo, including being part of a GC team here a few years back; so, unless Foley actually is hurt, there is zero reason to sit him in favor of Hickman other than birth certificate gob import favortism; same deal for Waud if he is not in the line-up - so they can hand playing time to Bishop, Hall or Roberstson who are doing little to nothing ? Miles if he is healthy could be playing MLB over McFadden for that matter - shown way more D play-making in CFL playing time.

But, as I said, already 9 NI starters according to that depth chart, and going with 10 or more would be way too much.

Wobbler
10-09-2016, 03:07 PM
As one of our oldest players, Foley could probably benefit from some extra rest.

But obviously that never occurred to you, OV, because everything is a conspiracy against Canadian players.

ArgoGabe22
10-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Hickman has outperformed Foley. Foley has done zip this season. Hickman at least had some flashes. If experience and being a long time Argo means you deserve to start then let's bring Pinball back into the lineup, Whitaker can't compete with Pinball's resume.

REAL
10-09-2016, 03:21 PM
In addition to the new guys, Miles is finally back. Nice to see.

Get confused by the rules, thought it had to be 1N , 1IN

OV Argo
10-09-2016, 03:28 PM
As one of our oldest players, Foley could probably benefit from some extra rest.

But obviously that never occurred to you, OV, because everything is a conspiracy against Canadian players.

Great idea - IF the team was all set for a play-off spot - sure rest some older vets; but hardly the case here I'm sure you know - the team is fighting for it's play-off life = no time to rest vets - you need to lean on them and their leadership. Hickman has NOT out-played Foley this year, IMO. Maybe Foley is actually injured or at least nicked and that is why he is not even dressed? - love to hear from him on this if that is not the case.

And who said anything about a "conspiracy" buddy ? - those are your words not mine, so get lost with putting words in other posters' mouth's cause you don't like hearing an opinion that bothers you. IF you believe the typical gob, including this Argos staff, does not favor import players over "Nationals" for playing time, then make your case with actual on-field evidence. Noel & Jones supposedly starting at receiver after 14 games into the season and after long-simmering problems or weak play from some imports they are replacing ? - wow - just radical.

paulwoods13
10-09-2016, 04:56 PM
I've been to every home game except one, and seen most but not all of the road games on TV. I can barely remember Foley doing anything (other than the infamous RTP penalty that he didn't deserve). I've seen Hickman do some (but not a ton of) good things. It's entirely plausible that Hickman grades out ahead of Foley. That may be hard for some to believe, I understand.

KCargosfan
10-09-2016, 05:38 PM
I've been to every home game except one, and seen most but not all of the road games on TV. I can barely remember Foley doing anything (other than the infamous RTP penalty that he didn't deserve). I've seen Hickman do some (but not a ton of) good things. It's entirely plausible that Hickman grades out ahead of Foley. That may be hard for some to believe, I understand.

Father time is undefeated. Foley is 34, and any person who has watched this season, despite his passport, can see he has become a non-factor.
Foley has had a great decade-long career, but he turns 35 before next season starts and it is time to let him retire or let some other team overpay for him.

PullTogether73
10-09-2016, 05:39 PM
This is probably more pertinent to the Argos game in Calgary in a couple of weeks, but in case anyone is thinking that the Stampeders will rest starters soon as they appear to have first place in the west wrapped up...

The Stampeders have a bye in the last week of the regular season.
If they do lock up first place in the west, they would have a bye in the first week of the playoffs.
Therefore, the time between their last regular season game and their first game of the playoffs would be three weeks.

I believe that Dickenson will not rest starters at all for the rest of the regular season.
He will likely be quicker to yank them out of games if/when a healthy lead has been built, in an effort to reduce the chance of injuries. But I expect all starters to start/play every game for the rest of the season for the Stamps.

doubleblue
10-09-2016, 05:48 PM

Hickman gets the start because he went off side one less time than Foley. ;)

doubleblue
10-09-2016, 05:58 PM

This new guy Melina is listed at 5'8 100 lbs. He must really be 190 lbs or in that vicinity. I know Milanovich likes small backs, but I guess he is still looking for the next Mike Pringle. The bad news is I think Mike was one of a kind.

Wobbler
10-09-2016, 06:14 PM
And who said anything about a "conspiracy" buddy ? - those are your words not mine, so get lost with putting words in other posters' mouth's cause you don't like hearing an opinion that bothers you.
Conspiracy may not have been the right word, OV, but I can't think of a better one to describe your opinion that the CFL is full of owners, managers, and coaches who undervalue Canadian players and try to avoid playing them.

Wobbler
10-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Milanovich pre-game:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;All we're really concerned about is winning this game, we can't win all four tomorrow.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/loFXBMnXxx">pic.twitter.com/loFXBMnXxx</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/785242259319029762">October 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
- Foley has a minor injury
- Ray is healthy (by implication)

OV Argo
10-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Hickman gets the start because he went off side one less time than Foley. ;)

Foley's D stats this season: 23 tackles, 4 sacks, one forced fumble;

Hickman: 21 tackles, 3 sacks and zero forced fumbles.

Yep - clearly Hickman has been way better and deserves to start.

Thomas Miles at linebacker for the Argos last season: 45 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble

McFadden at linebacker for the Argos this season: 29 tackles, zero sacks, zero forced fumbles.

Seems to me - Miles has done more as an Argo defensive player, and has more Argo experience, and way more experience and understanding of the Canadian game.

Wobbler
10-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Are you feeling OK, OV? That Miles/McFadden comparison makes no sense at all.

AngeloV
10-09-2016, 07:56 PM

Considering McFadden has played all of 5 games, have to agree with you.

OV Argo
10-09-2016, 08:17 PM

Really? - you find it hard to comprehend that Miles has accomplished more in the CFL on defence than McFadden has, and that he has more Argo roster experience, and has played way more Canadian football ? And yep, his CFL stats were from a few more games of playing time than McFadden.

Wobbler
10-09-2016, 08:33 PM
We all like Miles, OV. When healthy, he should always be in the active roster. He has been a good special teamer, and has played well as a weak-side starter despite being physically better suited for MLB duty.

But your comparison with McFadden is still bizarre. Perhaps injured players aren't the same as healthy ones?

Shatto
10-09-2016, 11:34 PM
When healthy Miles has played very well but so has McFadden. Having watched them both in games and on the practice field, the difference is, McFadden appears to have better range than Miles, especially sideline to sideline. As Wobbler expressed, Miles when healthy, is an asset to this team and should always be on the active roster but McFadden does seem to have more potential at the MLB spot. As an aside, Barker has demonstrated the ability to find diamonds in the later rounds of the CFL draft. Like Dupuis and Noel, ( a special teams standout in his rookie season), Miles was also a 4th round draft pick by Barker.

OV Argo
10-10-2016, 12:15 AM
When healthy Miles has played very well but so has McFadden. Having watched them both in games and on the practice field, the difference is, McFadden appears to have better range than Miles, especially sideline to sideline. As Wobbler expressed, Miles when healthy, is an asset to this team and should always be on the active roster but McFadden does seem to have more potential at the MLB spot. As an aside, Barker has demonstrated the ability to find diamonds in the later rounds of the CFL draft. Like Dupuis and Noel, ( a special teams standout in his rookie season), Miles was also a 4th round draft pick by Barker.

I disagree - Miles has shown more on the Argo D as a linebacker - he hits/tackles better and has both more CFL experience and Canadian football experience than a raw CFL rookie like McFadden - who i think has shown a bit of a nose for the ball, but nothing special; he also got trucked/run-over in the hole 2 plays in a row by Ticat RB Gable; the Argos are facing Messam at RB tomorrow. Rather see Miles at MLB - IMO.

ArgoRavi
10-10-2016, 01:40 AM
When was the last time Foley made a significant play? He has not played noticeably better than Hickman IMO. I'm more concerned about the absence of Waud from the roster because he has (or had) potential to develop into a starter. I haven't heard if he is hurt but sure hope so.

I believe that Waud was injured during the Ottawa game.

ArgoRavi
10-10-2016, 01:45 AM

Yep - clearly Hickman has been way better and deserves to start.

Hickman has also blocked at least one punt btw. I don't think that anyone is saying that Hickman has been "way better" than Foley but he has been more noticeable, especially in recent weeks. Foley just hasn't been a factor in quite some time. Maybe he is playing hurt?

Ron
10-10-2016, 03:12 AM
And who said anything about a "conspiracy" buddy ? - those are your words not mine, so get lost with putting words in other posters' mouth's cause you don't like hearing an opinion that bothers you.

Ummm ...

IF you believe the typical gob, including this Argos staff, does not favor import players over "Nationals" for playing time, then make your case with actual on-field evidence. Noel & Jones supposedly starting at receiver after 14 games into the season and after long-simmering problems or weak play from some imports they are replacing ? - wow - just radical.

Sounds like you're describing a league wide conspiracy against Nationals to me.

ArgofanIan
10-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Other than our disappointment on the field ...I have really enjoyed this season... the stadium experience ( With Shipyard and Tailgating ) is 1000 percent better... its really nice not being held hostage by the people at the Rogers center... Hoping our guys can find a way to end the season on an up note... looking forward to days game..... weather looks excellent.
Happy Thanks giving ARGO and CFL Fans
Go ARRGOS !!!

Argocister
10-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Other than our disappointment on the field ...I have really enjoyed this season... the stadium experience ( With Shipyard and Tailgating ) is 1000 percent better... its really nice not being held hostage by the people at the Rogers center... Hoping our guys can find a way to end the season on an up note... looking forward to days game..... weather looks excellent.
Happy Thanks giving ARGO and CFL Fans
Go ARRGOS !!!

Totally agree!
I'm also looking forward to great day today as this is perfect football weather.
The page has turned, and I look forward to see how we do on the field..... Deep down .... I'm also calling for a trap game with an Argos win.
the big question is ...... Willy or won't he ....... Sorry couldn't resist :D

Will
10-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Well one will not be able to complain about the weather for today's game. It looks like a perfect fall day for football.

This is the first Argos home game where clothing choice is a consideration.

OV Argo
10-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Ummm ...

Sounds like you're describing a league wide conspiracy against Nationals to me.

Ummm ... I think you should look up the meaning of the word conspiracy in a dictionary. Nobody that I know of has ever claimed that CFL officials have held clandestine meetings with nefarious plans to find ways to shaft Canadian players.

Next - look up the words bias & myopia.

paulwoods13
10-10-2016, 12:39 PM

So you make my point for me -- neither has noticeably or clearly outplayed the other. Neither has distinguished himself. Foley doesn't merit a roster spot solely because he's a NAT, any more than Hickman merits one solely because he's an INT.

Interesting that you are resorting to stats a lot lately to make the case for whatever position you are arguing. You used to scoff at those of us who cited stats as more worthy than the eyeball test.

OV Argo
10-10-2016, 02:25 PM
So you make my point for me -- neither has noticeably or clearly outplayed the other. Neither has distinguished himself. Foley doesn't merit a roster spot solely because he's a NAT, any more than Hickman merits one solely because he's an INT.

Interesting that you are resorting to stats a lot lately to make the case for whatever position you are arguing. You used to scoff at those of us who cited stats as more worthy than the eyeball test.

Yeah - agreed - neither has really distinguished himself or been consistently good at DE this year; Foley's stats are just slightly better.

Nothing to see here anyways if Foley is actually hurt or nicked and that is why he is not dressed; if he is just being sat in favor of Hickman - that's another matter IMO - taking out a vet leader who has won a GC as an Argo; but I'm sure / no doubt in the next few games Hickman might get sat / not dressed and Foley plays instead.

doubleblue
10-10-2016, 02:41 PM

I would hope you are right Ron. But, will Willy have time to throw deep very often. Calgary has some very good rush ends and Argos have some very ordinary OT's plus a small RB in Whitaker. Good blocker for his size but no match for much bigger hard charging RE's. I expect Milanovich to use a lot of TE formations to help Willy to stay upright.

But if the Argos can somehow come out and play with more emotion than Calgary a eek out a win they are only one point out of first place in the crazy East. We can always hope and dream.

ArgoRavi
10-10-2016, 03:24 PM
I would hope you are right Ron. But, will Willy have time to throw deep very often. Calgary has some very good rush ends and Argos have some very ordinary OT's plus a small RB in Whitaker. Good blocker for his size but no match for much bigger hard charging RE's. I expect Milanovich to use a lot of TE formations to help Willy to stay upright.

But if the Argos can somehow come out and play with more emotion than Calgary a eek out a win they are only one point out of first place in the crazy East. We can always hope and dream.

Perhaps I am delusional but I don't think that the Argos' o-line has played badly during the past four games. Van Roten seems to have stabilized things at left tackle. The Argos have had a lot of problems but I really don't think that the o-line has been one of them of late.

Wobbler
10-10-2016, 03:51 PM
I agree, Ravi. Willy had plenty of time to throw last week.

Wobbler
10-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Apparently I can't count (or predict accurately).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Scratches. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> C. Watman, T. Robertson. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Stamps?src=hash">#Stamps</a>: J. West, M. Bucknor.</p>&mdash; Mike Hogan (@tsnmikehogan) <a href="https://twitter.com/tsnmikehogan/status/785557099019317248">October 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1971GreyCup
10-10-2016, 04:11 PM
As far as I can count, there are 6 Corporate boxes sold on the West side and 2 on the East side. Fine the home team and away team gets box, doesn't look like much revenue from this steam.

10,000 today?

jerrym
10-10-2016, 04:19 PM
I just turned on the game and the first thing I see is a Calgary TD, followed by a two pointer. Not a great omen.

1971GreyCup
10-10-2016, 04:22 PM
I've seen this script before.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Then the Argos fail to make a first down on second and just over a yard. Let's hope this is not becoming a pattern in this game.

Wobbler
10-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Nice special teams tackle by Noel. Good to see that he still takes ST work seriously despite becoming a starter.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Ugh! Jordan scores another Calgary TD followed by another two pointer to make it 19-0.

Wobbler
10-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Calgary is one of the few teams that has figured out that you should (nearly) always go for the 2 point convert. I'm amazed that anyone is still kicking converts.

1971GreyCup
10-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Only 19-0 at the end of the first quarter. SM is playing the last four games one at a time!

jerrym
10-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Good to see Brian Jones make his first CFL catch.

1971GreyCup
10-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Will this team perpetually go for five yard passes when they need twenty?

Argo57
10-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Foxcroft must be kidding, objectionable conduct on Whitaker??
What a joke call.

argotom
10-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Couldn't make the game, gave my seats to a family member.
I am sure they will enjoy the experience, although crowd looks bad.
Anyway so far men playing against boys.
Horrid offensive and defensive schemes so far.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Hajrullahu puts the Argos on the scoreboard with a FG.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Alford recover ball putting the Argos in good position!

jerrym
10-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Nice catch and run to the five by Jones.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 05:05 PM
But Argos settle for a Hajrullahu FG after Willy sack.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Mesa already has 61 yards early in the second quarter. This could be a long game.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Daniels tightropes down the sideline for another Calgary catch and run TD.

argotom
10-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Messam now has 92 yards all before the half.
I hope both Kilgore and LeFevour get a chance to start in the second half.
As I recall the same change was made a couple of games ago on Dan at the half.

1971GreyCup
10-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Messam now has 92 yards all before the half.
I hope both Kilgore and LeFevour get a chance to start in the second half.
As I recall the same change was made a couple of games ago on Dan at the half.

I doubt that very much!

jerrym
10-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Mesa now up to 95 yards and the first half isn't over. Can the Argos say run defence? Sorry I just realized I repeated you argotom.

argotom
10-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Josh Mitchell should have been the only player tossed, he gave two head shots instead of Devin Smith.
Anyway bottom line this undisciplined play is a reflection of the coaching staff.
More fuel to the fire at year end.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Devon Smith thrown out but Mitchell should have gone. Sorry again for repeating argotom.

argotom
10-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Three times the Argos offside on the 1 yard line.
Excuse me shouldn't they know this from their DC, Stubler is done.
On top of which, the same scheme against the best team in the league.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Argo run the exact opposite of Calgary. Can't even get a first down on second on short repeatedly.

argotom
10-10-2016, 05:36 PM
A team in complete turmoil, more than a train wreck.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Spencer doing great with at least 5 catches in 8 straight games after missing the first six games.He's leading the league in current consecutive games with at least five catches. He now has 54 catches and 559 yards after his first seven games.

1971GreyCup
10-10-2016, 05:40 PM
What halftime adjustments will we make to turn the tide?

argotom
10-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Dunnigan, Schultz and Stegall at half time have have just ripped and rightfully so into the team and management.

Argo
10-10-2016, 05:43 PM
what halftime adjustments will we make to turn the tide?

r o t f l

jerrym
10-10-2016, 05:46 PM
After watching the first half, I have to ask if this team has given up on Milanovich? Was the release of four receivers at once symptomatic of that?

Neely2005
10-10-2016, 05:50 PM
Groundskeeper Willy looks lost out there.

1971GreyCup
10-10-2016, 05:58 PM
With that halftime adjustment. We only lost 4 yards on offense and gave up a blocked punt. Fans are heading home. Maybe until next year.

Didn't somebody say TJ Heath's interception in Winnipeg was a fluke? I just noticed that our fluke interception went incomplete??

Argo57
10-10-2016, 06:00 PM
After watching the first half, I have to ask if this team has given up on Milanovich? Was the release of four receivers at once symptomatic of that?

I was thinking the exact same thing Jerry, I think they have TBH.
Sad to watch actually.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:06 PM
With a win today Dickenson will tie the season win record for rookie HC and of course break it soon after.

argotom
10-10-2016, 06:07 PM
It should be more than evident even to those who were unsure, Willy is not the answer as being another pylon in the pocket.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:09 PM
If the Stampeders keep winning, they will set season team points record with a 16-1-1 season to break Edmonton's 1989 16-2 record.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:10 PM
It should be more than evident even to those who were unsure, Willy is not the answer as being another pylon in the pocket.

That was a very high price the Argos paid for this pylon.

argotom
10-10-2016, 06:12 PM
That was a very high price the Argos paid for this pylon.

Yes a further indictment on Barker.

Argo57
10-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Cmon Argo get a TD!

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Lemon's rush helps force a Calgary fumble that he recovers before rumbling downfield and giving it to Gabriel. Nice effort!

Stevoman
10-10-2016, 06:14 PM
So, go for 1? Show's how unaggressive this team is.

Argo57
10-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Glad to see a TD and a morale boost, they are still competing at least.

1971GreyCup
10-10-2016, 06:15 PM
So, go for 1? Show's how unaggressive this team is.

Exactly!!

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Willy to Shaw for TD but don't even try for two. Why not considering the circumstances?

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:20 PM
No onside kick followed by lackadaisical coverage on the Calgary return shows how passive this team is.

argotom
10-10-2016, 06:23 PM
I can't believe how many times Messam has rushed through the D line without getting touched and not until well into the secondary.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Messam's 31 yard run helps break a 1,000 with the Argos waving him on. Pathetic game as bad as the worst of the early 1960s Argos.

argotom
10-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Rushing successfully right up the gut, the A gap.
Even Cote with his first run.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Messam, oops, it's Cote imitating Messam for a 10 yard gain. But the Argos can't tell the difference.

argotom
10-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Six first downs after three quarters, the lowest for any team so far this year.
Why is Willy still out there? Great coaching job.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:33 PM
The Argos didn't even look like they were trying on the Cote TD pass and run.

argotom
10-10-2016, 06:35 PM
14,224 is the announced attendance.
How low will it go the last game?

1971GreyCup
10-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Six first downs after three quarters, the lowest for any team so far this year.
Why is Willy still out there? Great coaching job.

I think SM will ride the Willy show out've town.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Hickman lays out for a punt block. At least some players aren't giving up.

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:42 PM
The Calgary game plan seems to have been to focus on stopping Whitaker, which they have done, forcing the Argos to depend on Willy's passing to a mostly new set of receivers.

argoscott
10-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Needless to say we should have stayed with Dan Lef....at QB, and kept Gurlie and Company, but on the lighter side, they keep saying how Calgary could perhaps go for the record of most wins in a season...I did step out of the room a couple times but I did not hear anybody bring up the fact that we used to only play 14 and 16 game seasons, and even fewer than 14, my memory fails me, might have been only 12 games a season not all that many decades ago

My point is there needs to be a comparison to when the season was shorter before you can say someone broke a record in a 18 game season, as apposed to being 13 and 1 in a 14 game season, you get the picture.

This is true in all records...when they say the new rushing leader or passing leader is so and so, there needs to be a footnote when old records fall that were based on 12,14 and 16 game seasons

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:44 PM
Once again Milanovich goes for one rather two trailing by 45-20, symbolizing the passivity of him and his team.

argotom
10-10-2016, 06:57 PM
3 and 13 and Willy throws for 2 yards, you can't make this up.
Again why is he still in there.
Except it does not matter who is in there.

Antwon
10-10-2016, 06:59 PM
This effort was so bad, it insures SM will not be back next year!

jerrym
10-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Milanovich keeps playing Willy even after a hard hit in garbage time when he shows sign of being injured. We need more than a new qb.

argosrule2415
10-10-2016, 08:27 PM
I didn't bother watching the 4th quarter. Another embarassing performance. So in order for us to continue our "slim" playoff hopes. The easiest way I can think of is for the Ti-Cats and Als to lose there remaining games, and for us to win out....too much to ask for?

Will
10-10-2016, 08:27 PM
I cannot say that I was surprised by this afternoon's result. Calgary is (by and far) the best team in the league to be sure, however, what is much more disappointing is that one could expect this result right now against most teams in the league and not just the Stampeders.

ArgoGabe22
10-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Both Argos TDs were scored from a short field after the BLM sack/fumble and the blocked punt. Other than that, offence didn't do much. They could've scored a TD on one of the FGs but poor play call/execution made them lose yards. Willy just can't march downfield and get a long drive going.

DoubleBlue1873
10-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Lots of things went wrong in this game, but the biggest difference was on both sides of the line. Calgary O-line (avg size 330 lbs) simply manhandled our D-line, creating huge gaps for Messam to gain momentum and ensure little pass rush. And Calgary D-line had Willy under pressure or sacked for most of the game. Hard to blame Willy when he doesn't fully grasp the offense yet and doesn't get time to make his reads. Even Whitaker was completely smothered, another indication of how good this Calgary team really is.

Bottom line: this Calgary team is as good as we've seen in a generation. They are dominant in all three phases and have enough depth to plug any holes (unlike the Argos). They do have a tendency to build up leads and then let off, but that sure didn't happen today. I am impressed.

I don't even know what to say about the Argos...

KCargosfan
10-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Gordon needs to be cut after whatever that was he was doing on an "attempted" tackle. Simply awful.

paulwoods13
10-10-2016, 10:13 PM
I agree we got manhandled up front. There's no point even trying to judge our quarterbacking until we get someone who can pass-block.

I've been a big supporter of Barker (and Milanovich) but his off-season moves -- other than the draft, which looks promising -- mostly turned out badly. Signed Bourke (benched/injured), Bulcke (cut), Watman (benched), Raymond (cut) in free agency, and let Owens walk. The latter was understandable and defensible at the time, with Spencer here as a replacement and no way of knowing the Big Three would end up cut because of attitude issues. But the other moves were all mistakes (except the signing of Hajrillahu), unless Bourke returns and comes back ready to play next year. The one thing that Barker has in his favour is the draft. Six guys we drafted this year dressed today, which is just about unheard of. But two of them (Sackey and Campbell) have not played yet, Newton is just a special teamer and I doubt Cross will develop into a regular on offence. If the two o-linemen develop into starters and Noel and Jones play up to their potential, it stands to be a good if not excellent draft.

Nob
10-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Good thing, Paul, because with this crappy year we will have a high draft choice.............what's that....????........never mind.....

But at least there is good Canadian depth. Losing out on the first round pick won't hurt that much. There are many other areas of concern. The first will be fan apathy.

OV Argo
10-10-2016, 11:00 PM
Based on today (glaring evidence) and most of the season - both lines need to be re-built IMO.

Messam ran untouched thru the middle often; disappointed in Hall who i thought was quite good at times for the Ticats last season; and Bishop is next to useless at times IMO - can\t for the life of me figure why he keeps getting to play; Bulcke cut after one game made zero sense IMO; and maybe Waud is hurt/nicked and can't play, but not sure that is the case ? - maybe he gets a shot late this season or next year. But - bring in plenty of new talent for D-line competition next TC - new imports, known FAs that may be available, and there are IMO a few good looking DT prospects for next draft (oops, no 1st rounder as of now); Lemon may be a keeper as a starter at DE, but another good DE is needed as well (Foley maybe done?; Hickman not exactly lighting it up this year and not exactly young either)

O-line needs upgrades too IMO; maybe McEwen continues to develop into a stalwart at C; but after that - all jobs could/should be up for grabs - Bourke has lots of mileage, but some all-time great O-lineman have played strong well into their 30s = maybe he could bounce back, and with some offensive coaches who have some brains helping; bring in plenty of TC competition there - again, new imports or a known vet FA; maybe draft picks like Sackey or Campbell develop into starters? - hope so, but their college ball resumes are pretty limited IMO; there are some good O-Line prospects pretty well every draft IMO.

Then, there's the D-backfield, ... and linebackers (hope Greenwood can return) and the QB situation, and ... on & on. ;o)

Shatto
10-10-2016, 11:51 PM
So where should the blame for this debacle called a football season be placed? First and foremost at the feet of the coaching staff! If, as some are stating, the players are not good enough, we have to remember, it was the coaching staff that choose these players. Too many times the opposition has marched downfield for TD's on their first possession---this clearly demonstrates the team was not adequately prepared. Stubler looks lost and so do the defenses he puts on the field. Against a very good Stamps O line, Stubler was playing only 3 down linemen and sometimes only 1 true LB. Against this questionable lineup, Messem as could be expected, had a field day. As for Milanovich, he gambled that Willy was worth a 1st and 4th round draft choice and their best D back. There was a reason why the Peg gave up on Willy, as it is becomes painfully obvious, he is not a first string QB. Unless Willy makes a miraculous metamorphosis into a real QB, over the next 3 games, Milanovich's gamble may well have cost him is job.
On a positive note, rookie Canadian receiver, Jones, looked good in his first start and ------the tailgating was enjoyable again.

KCargosfan
10-11-2016, 01:00 AM
I've been a big supporter of Barker (and Milanovich) but his off-season moves -- other than the draft, which looks promising -- mostly turned out badly. Signed Bourke (benched/injured), Bulcke (cut), Watman (benched), Raymond (cut) in free agency, and let Owens walk. The latter was understandable and defensible at the time, with Spencer here as a replacement and no way of knowing the Big Three would end up cut because of attitude issues. But the other moves were all mistakes (except the signing of Hajrillahu), unless Bourke returns and comes back ready to play next year. The one thing that Barker has in his favour is the draft. Six guys we drafted this year dressed today, which is just about unheard of. But two of them (Sackey and Campbell) have not played yet, Newton is just a special teamer and I doubt Cross will develop into a regular on offence. If the two o-linemen develop into starters and Noel and Jones play up to their potential, it stands to be a good if not excellent draft.

I also have been a big supporter of Barker and Milanovich, but the main thing they whiffed on is Ray at quarterback. They gambled Ray could stay healthy, and hindsight is 20/20, but it was an extremely poor decision, and one that likely costs them their jobs. They should have locked up Trevor Harris for at least a year, said "you're the starter," and offered Ray back-up money. In the CFL you have to have 2 quarterbacks (see: the West division) or get lucky with a game manager like Winnipeg is with Matt Nichols and hope your defense or special teams comes up with a score.

And I'm not a huge fan of Trevor Harris, but that was basically the option at the time.

Also, I'm not saying I was thinking this at the time.

It's sad that once we get steady ownership, everything basically falls apart for Barker and Milanovich. What they did under Braley was pretty amazing.

ArgoRavi
10-11-2016, 01:03 AM
Lots of things went wrong in this game, but the biggest difference was on both sides of the line. Calgary O-line (avg size 330 lbs) simply manhandled our D-line, creating huge gaps for Messam to gain momentum and ensure little pass rush. And Calgary D-line had Willy under pressure or sacked for most of the game. Hard to blame Willy when he doesn't fully grasp the offense yet and doesn't get time to make his reads. Even Whitaker was completely smothered, another indication of how good this Calgary team really is.

Bottom line: this Calgary team is as good as we've seen in a generation. They are dominant in all three phases and have enough depth to plug any holes (unlike the Argos). They do have a tendency to build up leads and then let off, but that sure didn't happen today. I am impressed.

I don't even know what to say about the Argos...

Well said! I know that everyone wants to beat up on Drew Willy but what the hell was he supposed to do behind that offensive line today? I said earlier in this thread that the o-line seemed to be better over the past month but they were absolutely awful today.

mchesher03
10-11-2016, 10:10 AM
several of our players were a little too concerned with their feelings getting hurt by boo'ing, etc. In the middle of getting shellacked like that, I think it's asinine for players to do anything but put your head down and soldier through it. The fans (myself included) have pretty good reasons to be uphappy. That said, what was up with Thomas Gordon's tackling "effort" on the 2nd TD (I believe). The DB tried to make a play on the ball and missed (another error but the effort appeared to be there) but that "tackle" attempt by Gordon was shameful.

tailgating was fun at least. after the debacle in Montreal I don't have the same worries about games - this is not a playoff team by any stretch. Also, that Stamps team is very, very good. I'd be very surprised not to see them in the Grey Cup.

Argo
10-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Well said! I know that everyone wants to beat up on Drew Willy but what the hell was he supposed to do behind that offensive line today? I said earlier in this thread that the o-line seemed to be better over the past month but they were absolutely awful today.

Yes, the offensive line seemed to be better... when LeFevour was playing.

Of course, now that Willy is starting "there's no point even trying to judge our quarterbacking". Quel changement.

1971GreyCup
10-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Wasn't setting up in the pocket behind this O line that got Ricky Ray hurt? Dan LeFevour with all his faults had some success with his mobility. I guess both Logan and LeFevour had one successful game, before the opposition had some film and could quickly adjusted and shutdown the Argo adjustments.

doubleblue
10-11-2016, 11:21 AM
Good observations by PW, OV, Shatto, KC and others. I was just looking at the players that have moved on or been moved in the last couple of years. Many of them are still in the League with some in the NFL, but IMO they haven't been replaced with the same calibre of player on the field.
Except for Lemon who on the D-Line would you want back. At LBer who beside Greenwood. At DB who beside Jefferson and Gabriel. (I'm talking starters)
Waud and Miles are good Canadian kids with a future IMO.
I was on record at the start of the season that with Ricky Ray at QB the O-Line was a high priority and a big tough RB to help protect Ricky. All one has to do is look at Calgary's O-Line and a back like Messam. It works.
So who on the O-Line should be kept? I think we're ok at Center for a while (he might head home in a couple of years). Bourke has been an all star and he isn't that old for an O-Lineman, but, one could get a young cheaper Import just as good IMO. Holmes, bit of disappointment, but could look better beside a big tough Tackle and McEwen improving with playing time. RG, Watman? maybe a backup for center and guard. Smith is about done. Good place to bring in a 6'3-4 320 lber or move Van Zeyl over. RT needs upgrading IMO. The two young Canadians Sackey and Campbell might figure in but they may be another year a way from starting.
Good to see the two young receivers Jones and Noel start to get some playing time. Most teams are going that way, using two receiver spots for the ratio. They were also high on the other Junior player Williams who has size and speed and has spent the year on the PR learning. I thought we were set for a few years at WR/SB but that has changed big time.
RB? Whitaker would have been a good 1-2 punch the last couple of years, but there wasn't any #2 in the punch. When they do start another guy he's another pony back, go figure. I of course will always like to see a real FB who can be a difference maker and no OV, Dupuis isn't that guy. Good back up and STer only. Somebody like Messam or Mike Sellers. But I know it will never happen under Milanovich.
QB position. Ugh. I've said enough on that fiasco. But something needs to change there.

Wobbler
10-11-2016, 11:24 AM
It seems pretty obvious that we have several different problems. It's not all the OL's fault, it's not all Willy's fault, it's not all our RC's fault, and it's not all coaching. Untangling this mess is a job for the off-season; all we can do now is identify the key guys we want to build around for next year. The jury is still out on Willy, I think.

paulwoods13
10-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Untangling this mess is a job for the off-season; all we can do now is identify the key guys we want to build around for next year. The jury is still out on Willy, I think.

Key components to build around, in no particular order: McEwen, Campbell, Sackey, Jones, Noel, Coombs, Dupuis, Hajrillahu, Reinhart, Waud, Walker, Greenwood, Miles, Gabriel; Shaw, Spencer, Wylie, Lemon, McFadden (if he stays healthy for a change), Jefferson, Fajardo. No idea who should be the starting QB but I'm confident it won't be LeFevour. IMO we should plan to play at least two INTs on the o-line and spend most of our recruitment efforts on finding two great tackles. Move VZ inside to RG. Hopefully Sackey and Campbell come to camp ready to start but I wouldn't bet on that until 2018. See if we can get something in trade for Bourke.

ArgoGabe22
10-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Anyone else find the Stamps' "Peredes is injured, we don't do PATs if we don't have to" excuse a bit lame? It's been 3 games now they're doing this but then all of the sudden he's healthy enough to kick them after the 2nd quarter? What difference does it make? Plus, they have Maver who was a kicker at Guelp and even started his career as a kicker. I just find it a bit strange, they have an "injured" kicker who they don't want kicking, unless it's necessary.

Bleeds Double Blue
10-11-2016, 01:52 PM
The jury is still out on Willy, I think.For what we gave up to get him, for better or worse the verdict is in on that one. It's Willy or bust for the foreseeable future.

doubleblue
10-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Once again Milanovich goes for one rather two trailing by 45-20, symbolizing the passivity of him and his team.

I was thinking that our Kicker will probably be the team's top Canadian and Special Team player, so maybe SM is trying to pad his stats for him.

paulwoods13
10-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Anyone else find the Stamps' "Peredes is injured, we don't do PATs if we don't have to" excuse a bit lame? It's been 3 games now they're doing this but then all of the sudden he's healthy enough to kick them after the 2nd quarter? What difference does it make? Plus, they have Maver who was a kicker at Guelp and even started his career as a kicker. I just find it a bit strange, they have an "injured" kicker who they don't want kicking, unless it's necessary.

This is the first I've heard about an injury, but I'm with Wobbler that teams should always go for two. You just have to succeed 50% of the time (a bit less than that, actually) to make it a winning proposition.

Wobbler
10-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Key components to build around, in no particular order: McEwen, Campbell, Sackey, Jones, Noel, Coombs, Dupuis, Hajrillahu, Reinhart, Waud, Walker, Greenwood, Miles, Gabriel; Shaw, Spencer, Wylie, Lemon, McFadden (if he stays healthy for a change), Jefferson, Fajardo. No idea who should be the starting QB but I'm confident it won't be LeFevour. IMO we should plan to play at least two INTs on the o-line and spend most of our recruitment efforts on finding two great tackles. Move VZ inside to RG. Hopefully Sackey and Campbell come to camp ready to start but I wouldn't bet on that until 2018. See if we can get something in trade for Bourke.

Your strategy sounds good to me, but the only guys I think qualify for the "build around" label are McEwan, Jones, Noel, Coombs, Hajrullahu, Greenwood, Gabriel, Shaw, Spencer, and Lemon. There are certainly young guys who can be expected to help (Sackey, Campbell, Waud, Walker) and players who are good enough or not easily upgraded (Whitaker, Alford, Holmes, Miles, Jefferson), but I'm expecting a lot of turnover among the rest.

Total agreement on the need for the best tackles we can afford. No offense to Dupuis, but he played too much this year for a guy who isn't a receiving threat.

Argo
10-11-2016, 04:43 PM
This is the first I've heard about an injury, but I'm with Wobbler that teams should always go for two. You just have to succeed 50% of the time (a bit less than that, actually) to make it a winning proposition.

IIRC, Calgary is averaging slightly more than 1 point per conversion.

Will
10-11-2016, 05:30 PM
It is true that it isn't as if Barker didn't go out this off-season and sign several free agents. However, aside from the aforementioned Hajrullahu, he swung and missed. The addition of Lemon was a good move in-season, but the rest of that front four has struggled mightily. Bourke was supposed to solidify the OL, but many of us knew that there were other holes at that positional group that was not addressed in the off-season.

It also has not helped that three key Canadian players on defense in Gabriel, Waud and Greenwood have missed time with injury. With Gabriel and Greenwood it is especially concerning because I'd be willing to label them as injury prone at this point in their careers.

OV Argo
10-11-2016, 05:34 PM
IIRC, Calgary is averaging slightly more than 1 point per conversion.

And the Stamps have had to again play with a patch-work O-line for parts of the season - injuries = backs-ups or new guys in, and not exactly lots of continuity. Nothing to do with going for a 2 point conversion, but a belief that their O-line is comprised of superstars (with 2 all-world OTs), and the Argo O-line in comparison is made up of a bunch of no talents is a bit whacky, IMO.

The Stamps are a way better football team than the Argos for a bunch of reasons, and it starts with far superior coaching - game planning & calling, adjustments, diversity. They have a good solid roster including a very good QB who has plenty of CFL experience now, but their O-line is not a big difference maker between them and the Argos. Their D-backfield is also far superior than the Argos' - with some vets for continuity, aided by a couple of very good rookie corners = very important in a mostly pass league.

ArgoRavi
10-11-2016, 07:25 PM
It is true that it isn't as if Barker didn't go out this off-season and sign several free agents. However, aside from the aforementioned Hajrullahu, he swung and missed. The addition of Lemon was a good move in-season, but the rest of that front four has struggled mightily. Bourke was supposed to solidify the OL, but many of us knew that there were other holes at that positional group that was not addressed in the off-season.

It also has not helped that three key Canadian players on defense in Gabriel, Waud and Greenwood have missed time with injury. With Gabriel and Greenwood it is especially concerning because I'd be willing to label them as injury prone at this point in their careers.

The interesting thing is that Barker really departed this past off-season from his philosophy of not signing other teams' free agents because you usually end up overpaying. If Barker returns as GM, hopefully he goes back to his original philosophy and focuses on recruiting along with drafting talent. I can't believe that he wouldn't.

ArgoRavi
10-11-2016, 07:29 PM

Since the CFL changed the convert rules, I have felt that teams should almost always go for 2 because of what you have written above, Paul. It is quite strange how only Calgary and, this year, B.C. seem to understand this. In B.C.'s case, not having a strong FG kicker might factor into their decision-making.

argotom
10-11-2016, 07:34 PM
The interesting thing is that Barker really departed this past off-season from his philosophy of not signing other teams' free agents because you usually end up overpaying. If Barker returns as GM, hopefully he goes back to his original philosophy and focuses on recruiting along with drafting talent. I can't believe that he wouldn't.

Goes to show you how other GM's like Kent Austin this weekend signed a bunch of recently released players on the expanded practice roster.
Keon Raymond, Jeff Daniels, Derrius Brooks, Kendial Lawrence, Kevin Elliott.

1971GreyCup
10-11-2016, 07:42 PM

I wonder if the word came from above Barker before the season to make sure that the Argos were competitive at BMO Field. I agree that the big investment last offseason in FAs was out of character. Would also explain why he pretty much dismantled the FAs in short order. Also, he could then make the case that it wasn't his fault!

Am I imagining it, or has Barker been positioning the recent radical changes on what SM wants? Willy, Three Towers, etc. if so, he is setting the case to stay and remove SM.

R.J
10-11-2016, 07:47 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that Stubler loves veterans, so it's probably a big reason why Barker went so heavy with veteran free agents.
Brown, Raymond, Bulcke, Hickman, and Hall. Elsworth after injuries to Greenwood and McFadden.

ArgoGabe22
10-11-2016, 07:52 PM

I have no problem with teams going for 2, just not sure I'm buying the injury excuse. Seems like fans even before this game and players like Dionte Spencer took offence to them going for two.

PullTogether73
10-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Am I imagining it, or has Barker been positioning the recent radical changes on what SM wants? Willy, Three Towers, etc. if so, he is setting the case to stay and remove SM.

I have been thinking exactly this!
Barker can easily make a case that he got/got rid of the players whom his coach wanted.
If the results are crappy, it is then on the coach.

Ron
10-12-2016, 05:05 AM
With all the negativity one thing has been overlooked. The team made 2nd half adjustments and went out and kicked the Stamps butts in the 3rd. You saw receivers making an effort to go deeper but sadly the O-line gave Willy no time. Stamps were lucky they had the big lead.

Argo
10-12-2016, 06:56 AM
With all the negativity one thing has been overlooked. The team made 2nd half adjustments and went out and kicked the Stamps butts in the 3rd. You saw receivers making an effort to go deeper but sadly the O-line gave Willy no time. Stamps were lucky they had the big lead.

Alas, not very long after the game started it was Garbage Time.

PullTogether73
10-12-2016, 09:25 AM

You can't be serious.
Halftime score was 35-6.
Final score was 48-20.
The Argos "kicked the Stamps butts" by one point in the second half, after falling behind by 29 points.

I think you've been buying in to Milanovich's comments too readily.

doubleblue
10-12-2016, 11:22 AM

:) You are joking aren't you Ron. Calgary could have scored 70 points if they had wanted to. The GOB's connection kicks in when a Coach feels the lead is safe and the OC's and DC's take their foot off the peddle so not to embarrass their GOB buddies on the other team. Different ways of doing that you know. Like call stupid dead plays on offense (like the Argos) and have the defense sit back in a zone and no blitz. Just play pre-season football. But even doing that the Argos were still useless.

1971GreyCup
10-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Apparently the Argos are optimistic going into the final stretch. CFL.ca:

"GOING THROUGH CHANGES: ARGOS OPTIMISTIC HEADING DOWN FINAL STRETCH
Adam Gagnon/CFL.ca
CFL.CA STAFF
TORONTO – It wasn’t the result they wanted but for the Toronto Argonauts, the loss against the Calgary Stampeders was a step in the right direction.

After a shakeup last week shipped three of the Argos’ top receivers out of Toronto, the Argonauts had to look to their younger receivers, like Diontae Spencer, Brian Jones and Kenny Shaw, to fill the spots of the trio.

In the Boatmen’s first game with their new-look offence, Toronto matched up against the league’s top group in the Stampeders – a tough task for any team to handle this season, let alone a team going through personnel changes.

RELATED:
» Recap: Stampeders Stifle Argonauts; clinch top spot in West Division
» The Replacements: A who’s who of the Argos’ receiving corps
» Standings: Argos sit third in the East

Adam Gagnon/CFL.ca
Toronto head coach Scott Milanovich looks on as his team takes on the Stampeders on Thanksgiving Monday (Adam Gagnon/CFL.ca)

Toronto went down early against the red-hot Stamps, trailing 35-6 after the first half, only scoring on two field goals from Lirim Hajrullahu in the opening two quarters.

But it was the second half, where they outscored the Stamps 14-13, that proved to head coach Scott Milanovich there was still plenty of fight left in his club.

“I was watching some of the veteran guys, I told them at half time that when you’re in a situation like that, you have two choices. You can either quit or you can fight. And (Justin) Hickman breaking through on the punt to block it (was an example of the team fighting),” Milanovich said when asked if he saw his team’s effort level deteriorate throughout the game. “There were four or five guys in particular that I saw that were doing everything.

“Cory Greenwood made a couple plays on the last drive when we were down by 25 that you don’t make if you don’t have some character.”

It was that effort that led to the Argonauts putting points on the board in the second half. Hickman’s blocked punt led to quarterback Drew Willy finding Spencer who plunged in for the Argos’ second major of the ball game. Shaw scored the first touchdown, taking advantage of a turnover in the third quarter, when Willy found the receiver wide open in the end zone.

Spencer finished his night with four receptions for 32 yards and a touchdown, while Shaw led all Argo receivers with six receptions for 70 yards and a touchdown. Jones, in his first start as an Argonaut, caught five passes for 39 yards.

Overshadowed by the loss was how sound quarterback Willy played in just his second start in the Double Blue.

Also playing in his first start at home, Willy completed 26-of-31 passes for 215 yards and two touchdowns against a stellar Calgary defence. His completion percentage on the night, 83.9 per cent, ranked eighth in Argonauts single-game history.

Milanovich didn’t want to make excuses for his pivot after back to back losses, first in Montreal and then against the Stamps, but he did recognize that Willy had been put in unique situation coming into an entirely new team where he had to learn a new playbook.

“He’s played two games against two tough defences. Drew is going to have the unfortunate task of having to play Calgary four times this year,” Milanovich said of Willy’s first two starts with the Boatmen. “It wasn’t the easiest first two starts for him but he’s doing a nice job. There are some things that he needs to fix. He’s missed a couple reads that you wouldn’t miss if you knew the system a little longer. But he’s competing out there.”

And that’s all the Toronto bench boss wants out of his club if they want to turn their season around. They still have a legitimate chance of making the playoffs with the East Division anyone’s for the taking. The Argos are just three points behind the first place REDBLACKS and two behind the second place Tiger-Cats. A couple wins, combined with Ottawa or Hamilton losses, will catapult Toronto up the standings.

“I TOLD THEM AT HALF TIME THAT WHEN YOU’RE IN A SITUATION LIKE THAT, YOU HAVE TWO CHOICES. YOU CAN EITHER QUIT OR YOU CAN FIGHT.”

SCOTT MILANOVICH

Before they can look too far into the future, Toronto only has one thing on their mind: the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

The Argos host Saskatchewan in Week 17, who despite their 4-10 record has been playing well over the past few weeks, in a game where they need to win to keep their playoff hopes alive.

“You can only play one game at a time,” Willy said when asked about looking ahead to the final three games of the regular season. “This week it will be Sask. It was obviously already a must win, but now it depends on what happens (in the rest of the East). I’m not sure how it’s all going to work out but we just need to win.”

The Argos have a short week to make improvements before the game against the Riders on Saturday where Milanovich hopes his team can get back to what they love doing the most: winning football games.

“Football’s not much fun when you don’t win,” said the Toronto head coach. “Every game tears your heart out, you feel sick and when you wake up the next morning it’s terrible. Everybody in the league will tell you that after every loss. Whether Calgary loses their second game, it’s going to feel the same way to (head coach) Dave (Dickenson).

“The thing that keeps you coming back is the great feeling that you have when you win and the comradery and the relationships in that locker room.”

Antwon
10-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Wow some serious BS going on. So much positive from the second half...but wait what about the first half!!!!!! Maybe tickets will be half price since a SM team can't play a whole @#!!@@@ game!

Ron
10-12-2016, 02:32 PM
I think you've been buying in to Milanovich's comments too readily.

I actually wrote that before I saw his comments. ;-)

Reggiemac
10-12-2016, 08:56 PM
There was quite a few good plays by the argos today just not enough in all facets of the game to win but we were close onlots of plays on both sides of the ball. Andceven the refs got into it by not calling the baltant holdbon an argo on Messams big run in the second half, the stamp center had a hold of an argos head and kept him from making avplay on Messam at the line of scrimmage. Rewind the tape and look. TSN rewound it and bragged about how effective the centercwas but look at it again, he should have been called. But there was no way we were going to win this one but we played them as tough on most plays than any team has so far this year., if our offence cant control the ball for a reasonable time its hard for any defence to be effective against any team and the stamps are very good so with no offence we were toast. And our defence almost outscored our offence. If Gabriel hadnt stepped out of bounds on the Lemon fumble recovery the defence would havevoutscored the offence. We need to get the rebuild underway and it has to start by getting an offensive strategist that can put an exciting gamebplan together. And we need a HC that can motivate the team. Lacklustre efforts on all parts of the team has to fall on Milanovich. The two actions that killed our season was Ricky Rays knee injury and then the willy trade was a certain buzzkill. We had just played a really good game and traded off our best DB and demotivated Dan Lefevour in the process. The team died there and then and that falls on Barker and Milanovich. Meanwhile Stubler gets blamed after they traded away his best performing DB. I still think Cody Fajardo is going to be our future at QB, and we really need to find a dominant LT and a RB.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8