PDA

View Full Version : Oct. 14: REDBLACKS @ Tiger-Cats

PullTogether73
10-11-2016, 01:20 PM
For any Argonauts fans who still hold out hope that the Boatmen make the playoffs :ohno:, I believe the best scenario here would be for these teams to split their home/home series.

Also, given all the lamenting about "letting" Collaros and Harris leave Toronto, I have to admit I find it very funny that neither of them are starting this game - Collaros is injured (again!) and Harris has been bumped due to poor play (same as last year in Toronto). This should make for some interesting posts in this thread.:D

ArgoRavi
10-11-2016, 07:06 PM
I figure that these two will either split their series or Ottawa will sweep. Interesting indeed that neither Collaros nor Harris will be starting on Friday night.

OV Argo
10-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Interesting to see Keon Raymond in there on the Ticats D and making some plays; i thought that because nobody picked him up after the genius Argo brain-trust cut him was clear evidence the guy was washed up?

Ottawa should be up by a lot more by now - basically no contest this game so far.

Argo57
10-14-2016, 09:47 PM
Good old Hank can still get it done!!

AngeloV
10-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Interesting to see Keon Raymond in there on the Ticats D and making some plays; i thought that because nobody picked him up after the genius Argo brain-trust cut him was clear evidence the guy was washed up?

Yeah, he helped contribute to 500 yards against and 30 points in a loss. Missed Burris inside the 5 yard line on a TD run, and tried to undercut an out route on 2nd down keeping a drive alive in the first half leading to a TD. Wow, was he great.

argolio
10-15-2016, 01:07 AM
An East team won! An East team won!

OV Argo
10-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Yeah, he helped contribute to 500 yards against and 30 points in a loss. Missed Burris inside the 5 yard line on a TD run, and tried to undercut an out route on 2nd down keeping a drive alive in the first half leading to a TD. Wow, was he great.

Yes, but not near as great as some of the superstar defenders the Argos have been trotting out lately. Ouside of Jefferson, I would bet anything that Steinauer would not be desperate enough to sign AND play any of the Argo corners or D-halfs this year - no clue/can't cover types.

Will
10-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Burris played fairly well I have to admit. Watching the Redblacks live for the first time since July, I forgot just how much they like to rely on those screen passes, but in the first half it worked as the Ticats tackling yesterday was kinda brutal. In the second half the Ticats made adjustments, but Henry was then able to go to to the vertical passing game with effectiveness. Ottawa also ran the ball fairly well yesterday too.

BTW, what is up with Brandon Banks? A few years ago, he was a threat to return every ball he fielded, but now it seems like he's very hit and miss.

R.J
10-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Ticats D reminds me of ours - whiffing on tackles, out of position, horrible secondary, etc. Offensively, they're missing Tasker and the threat of a run game, maybe Austin should let Ptaszek call the plays, as they're way too predictable. Masoli ain't Collaros.

Burris starts another week, but what's up with Ottawa's D ? Missing Scholgan, Lemon, Capicciotti, and Johnson hat much ? Somethings off.

Command Centre botches yet another call. What was the purpose of the command centre again ? Because I really don't know.

Will
10-15-2016, 11:40 AM
The Ticats lost several pieces in their secondary that they have had trouble replacing. But, Ottawa also did a good job of protecting Burris yesterday which was a contributing factor.

Not much of a pass rush for Ottawa either.

gilthethrill
10-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Yes, but not near as great as some of the superstar defenders the Argos have been trotting out lately. Ouside of Jefferson, I would bet anything that Steinauer would not be desperate enough to sign AND play any of the Argo corners or D-halfs this year - no clue/can't cover types.

There have been plenty of veteran CFL DB's available to be signed during the year. The latest being Derrius Brooks, who recently landed on the PR in Hamilton. Not sure why none ended up in Toronto. Mitchell White and Jermaine Robinson are two that come to mind.

ArgoRavi
10-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Command Centre botches yet another call. What was the purpose of the command centre again ? Because I really don't know.

AngeloV said on Twitter that Ellingson's elbow may have been down before the ball came out. I looked at it again and AV may have been correct on that. The other issue I had with that play is that it was a helmet-to-helmet hit by the Hamilton defender which resulted in Ellingson losing the ball. There should have been a 15 yard flag on that play against the Ticats.

R.J
10-15-2016, 12:57 PM
AngeloV said on Twitter that Ellingson's elbow may have been down before the ball came out. I looked at it again and AV may have been correct on that. The other issue I had with that play is that it was a helmet-to-helmet hit by the Hamilton defender which resulted in Ellingson losing the ball. There should have been a 15 yard flag on that play against the Ticats.
My issue with it was that command centre called it an incomplete pass. Ellingson was looking back and backpedaled, taking 3 steps.

The Loffler helmet hit on Burnham was worse imo.

doubleblue
10-15-2016, 01:28 PM
I thought the Ellingson catch was a catch. Whether it was a fumble or down by contact was a tough call. Probably why Jake or whoever decided to take the incomplete pass route.

R.J
10-15-2016, 10:34 PM
CFL admits it blew replay call in Ticats loss to Redblacks
http://3downnation.com/2016/10/15/cfl-admits-blew-replay-call-ticats-loss-redblacks/

The Replay Official should not have ruled the pass incomplete last night on the Replay Review,” Johnson said. β€œIt was a catch.”

Will
10-15-2016, 11:01 PM
CFL admits it blew replay call in Ticats loss to Redblacks
http://3downnation.com/2016/10/15/cfl-admits-blew-replay-call-ticats-loss-redblacks/

:ohno:

They really gotta do something about this! STAT!

KCargosfan
10-15-2016, 11:12 PM

Ottawa should be up by a lot more by now - basically no contest this game so far.

What plays did he make?

Not much point in keeping a guy around who blows that is making a hefty salary.

ArgoRavi
10-15-2016, 11:17 PM
What plays did he make?

Not much point in keeping a guy around who blows that is making a hefty salary.

He tripped up Madu after a one yard gain on one play. Other than that, I don't recall him doing much.

Argocister
10-16-2016, 12:10 AM

Mmmmm..... There were a bunch of Ticat fans around me at the game noticing more the plays Raymond didn't make..... And hoping they don't have to use him much longer.

R.J
10-16-2016, 12:45 AM
:ohno:

They really gotta do something about this! STAT!
Like fire Glen Johnson and Jake Ireland ?

Argo57
10-16-2016, 09:54 AM
My issue with it was that command centre called it an incomplete pass. Ellingson was looking back and backpedaled, taking 3 steps.

The Loffler helmet hit on Burnham was worse imo.

Embarrassing when the command centre can't even get the call correct.

paulwoods13
10-16-2016, 10:28 AM
Embarrassing when the command centre can't even get the call correct.

It's been happening all season. They should drop review altogether if the booth can't make correct calls.

AngeloV
10-16-2016, 10:40 AM

This coming from the guy that has on more than one occasion called Bear Woods overrated.

I never said the Argos had a superstar to replace him. I just know he wasn't very good here. And he wasn't very good Friday night. Amazing how you complain about mediocrity all the time, but you accept it when it helps you take a jab at anything the Argos have done that you disapprove of.

AngeloV
10-16-2016, 10:44 AM
It's been happening all season. They should drop review altogether if the booth can't make correct calls.

They should just go back to the original review process. Catch/no catch, TD/no TD, In bounds/out of bounds, fumble/no fumble. Any subjective calls should not be open to review. Illegal contact review is killing the league.

OV Argo
10-16-2016, 12:14 PM
This coming from the guy that has on more than one occasion called Bear Woods overrated.

I never said the Argos had a superstar to replace him. I just know he wasn't very good here. And he wasn't very good Friday night. Amazing how you complain about mediocrity all the time, but you accept it when it helps you take a jab at anything the Argos have done that you disapprove of.

Sorry pot calling kettle; more like your constant need to defend most everything that Barker & Millanovich do, with spin and selective use of stats.

Raymond made several plays on the Ticats D that game; and I was listening to the Ottawa radio broadcast of the game while watching the TSN TV feed, and the Ottawa commentators agreed together that Raymond was having a strong game and making an impact for his first time on their D - they would have no horse in the race to say so.

AngeloV
10-16-2016, 12:27 PM
and the Ottawa commentators agreed together that Raymond was having a strong game and making an impact for his first time on their D - they would have no horse in the race to say so.

Sure they do. As homer announcers, they want the Cats to field as poor a team as possible. He made 1 good play snuffing out a WR screen. Other than that, he did nothing of significance except as I said, miss a tackle on Burris and get beat on a 2nd down pass trying to undercut it.

OV Argo
10-16-2016, 02:39 PM
Sure they do. As homer announcers, they want the Cats to field as poor a team as possible. He made 1 good play snuffing out a WR screen. Other than that, he did nothing of significance except as I said, miss a tackle on Burris and get beat on a 2nd down pass trying to undercut it.

LOL - pffft; you're the epitome of a "homer" football commentator; and just FYI, Raymond led the Ticats D with 7 tackles that game, but other than that, sure, he did nothing - LOL

R.J
10-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Stats aren't the end all OV. Maybe Raymond had 7 tackles because Ottawa went after him, thinking he's the weak link. How many of these tackles was Raymond chasing ?

ArgoGabe22
10-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Stats aren't the end all OV. Maybe Raymond had 7 tackles because Ottawa went after him, thinking he's the weak link. How many of these tackles was Raymond chasing ?

LOL. There was a time once when Anthony Cannon (remember him?) led the Argos in tackles. I wasn't so sure it was because he was a playmaker at LB, flying in from sideline to sideline to make the tackle. It was more him chasing guys after getting beat.

ArgoRavi
10-16-2016, 03:27 PM
LOL. There was a time once when Anthony Cannon (remember him?) led the Argos in tackles. I wasn't so sure it was because he was a playmaker at LB, flying in from sideline to sideline to make the tackle. It was more him chasing guys after getting beat.

That is the problem I have always had with the tackles stat as it doesn't tell you where the tackles are taking place.

R.J
10-16-2016, 03:56 PM
That is the problem I have always had with the tackles stat as it doesn't tell you where the tackles are taking place.
I have the same problem with the completion percentage stat for QB's right now.

Argo57
10-16-2016, 04:01 PM
They should just go back to the original review process. Catch/no catch, TD/no TD, In bounds/out of bounds, fumble/no fumble. Any subjective calls should not be open to review. Illegal contact review is killing the league.

+1 on this one, the illegal contact calls are the worst.

ArgoRavi
10-16-2016, 04:02 PM
I have the same problem with the completion percentage stat for QB's right now.

Yeah, that stat doesn't mean as much as it once did. Willy is completing over 70% of his passes but we all see how the offence is struggling. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, stars like Flutie and Moon might be around the 60% mark but completing many more deep balls.

AngeloV
10-16-2016, 08:46 PM
LOL - pffft; you're the epitome of a "homer" football commentator; and just FYI, Raymond led the Ticats D with 7 tackles that game, but other than that, sure, he did nothing - LOL

You must have me confused for someone that gets paid to be a commentator. As for the number of tackles, big deal. How many of them were impactful? How many were after a catch was made in his area? You are hilarious. When Argo players, or any American you disapprove of racks up stats, you say you're not a stats guy. But when a former Argo does so, he's the greatest player in the world. As I said, 500 yards against, in a 30-29 loss. He really made a huge difference on that D. If Rico Murray or Johnny Sears are healthy, he doesn't even get signed.

OV Argo
10-16-2016, 10:47 PM
You must have me confused for someone that gets paid to be a commentator. As for the number of tackles, big deal. How many of them were impactful? How many were after a catch was made in his area? You are hilarious. When Argo players, or any American you disapprove of racks up stats, you say you're not a stats guy. But when a former Argo does so, he's the greatest player in the world. As I said, 500 yards against, in a 30-29 loss. He really made a huge difference on that D. If Rico Murray or Johnny Sears are healthy, he doesn't even get signed.

Too funny; somehow I'd guess you'd cite your guy Bear Woods' tackle totals as evidence he is such a good D player? (which BTW i think he has become - though still a bit over-rated maybe) - no? - only works when it suits your agenda, or in defending stupid Argo moves. I suppose JT Heath making a picks in consecutive games for the Bombers was just a fluke too and means nothing, and that is was a real smart move to give him away too ?

Try actually watching football games and take off the DoubleBlue kool-aid drinking glasses instead of spinning everything to justify all things Argo - or maybe your're a better and more true Argo fan than I am?

:D

AngeloV
10-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Too funny; somehow I'd guess you'd cite your guy Bear Woods' tackle totals as evidence he is such a good D player? (which BTW i think he has become - though still a bit over-rated maybe) - no? - only works when it suits your agenda, or in defending stupid Argo moves. I suppose JT Heath making a picks in consecutive games for the Bombers was just a fluke too and means nothing, and that is was a real smart move to give him away too ?

Try actually watching football games and take off the DoubleBlue kool-aid drinking glasses instead of spinning everything to justify all things Argo - or maybe your're a better and more true Argo fan than I am?

:D

Maybe you should try watching games post 1969.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8