He has not posted Part 2 yet.

August 23, 1969: BC Lions @ Toronto Argonauts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4uCxM245pY

July 11, 1996: Toronto Argonauts @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzfiizQLHq0

On viewer's choice, WTF!

ArgoRavi
10-12-2016, 12:01 AM
I was a poor student at the time of the pay per view game against Winnipeg so I put the scrambled telecast on and listened to the commentary.

Regarding the 1985 season, it is interesting that the two games posted from that year were both home wins. The '85 Argos finished out of the playoffs at 6-10 but Bob O'Billovich retained his job for several more seasons after that one. Ralph Sazio must have thought that the season likely would have turned out much differently if Condredge Holloway didn't get hurt. Also, I don't recall any blowout losses that season. Most of the losses that year occurred because the Argos struggled to move the ball but their defence didn't give up a lot of points.

I would rate the 1985 season as an "off" season as I would the 2014 season. Then there are seasons that are just "bad" ones (including lots of one-sided losses) and 2016 would qualify for that. Those tend to result in significant changes following the season.

AngeloV
10-12-2016, 01:22 PM
I remember ordering that game on Viewer's choice, for I believe $6.95.

Will
10-12-2016, 10:12 PM
I watched the Edmonton-Toronto game and the crowd was around 29,000 which we could only dream about right now, however, that size of a crowd was quite low for Argo games and Pat Marsden remarked that "everyone must be swept up by the Blue Jays" as that was their first year of winning the pennant. It is worth noting that in the years that the Blue Jays have won pennants/World Series, etc the Argos have happened to go 54-71. While it is only among several factors, it is hard to stay remotely relevant as well when that occurs.

As for the game itself, an interesting contrast as even though the Argos won the game they featured two QB's who would remote to bupkes in the CFL while Edmonton trotted out two Hall of Fame QB's in Matt Dunigan and Damon Allen.

OV Argo
10-12-2016, 11:29 PM
Great to be able to see wayyyy back to 1969 there; Wilkie actually looked like he could move a bit for the Argos at QB; compared to the dinky little beer-gut looking (but still effective) QB he was with the Esks later.

Marv Luster at safety for the Argos ! - what a player; nobody even in the same area code as a CFL safety nowdays.

Symons & Raimey dual threat backfield = awesome talent there; and another long-gone CFL scenario.

ArgoRavi
10-12-2016, 11:41 PM
I watched the Edmonton-Toronto game and the crowd was around 29,000 which we could only dream about right now, however, that size of a crowd was quite low for Argo games and Pat Marsden remarked that "everyone must be swept up by the Blue Jays" as that was their first year of winning the pennant. It is worth noting that in the years that the Blue Jays have won pennants/World Series, etc the Argos have happened to go 54-71. While it is only among several factors, it is hard to stay remotely relevant as well when that occurs.

The Jays have made the post-season in 1985, 1989, 1992-93 and 2015-16, correct? Am I missing any years? The Argos were 6-10 in '85 (missed playoffs), 7-11 in '89 (lost ESF), 6-12 in '92 (missed playoffs), 3-15 in '93 (missed playoffs), 10-8 in '15 (lost ESF and played only four home games), and are 5-10 so far in 2016 so, yes, the Argos tend to go in the tank when the Jays hit their stride.

argos1873
10-13-2016, 03:30 AM
The Jays have made the post-season in 1985, 1989, 1992-93 and 2015-16, correct? Am I missing any years? The Argos were 6-10 in '85 (missed playoffs), 7-11 in '89 (lost ESF), 6-12 in '92 (missed playoffs), 3-15 in '93 (missed playoffs), 10-8 in '15 (lost ESF and played only four home games), and are 5-10 so far in 2016 so, yes, the Argos tend to go in the tank when the Jays hit their stride.

They made the playoffs in 1991, and bowed out to the Twins, so that year is anomaly, since we all know what the Argos did that year.

argolio
10-15-2016, 01:37 AM

As for the game itself, an interesting contrast as even though the Argos won the game they featured two QB's who would remote to bupkes in the CFL while Edmonton trotted out two Hall of Fame QB's in Matt Dunigan and Damon Allen.Take out 1991 when the Argos were 15-5, and that 54-71 drops to an ugly 39-66.

I'll always fondly remember that 82-89 home winning streak vs the Esks. Good times.

mint83
10-15-2016, 03:09 AM
The Argos played a lot of great football in the 80s but there was also a lot of heartbreak too. As a kid, I was disappointed with the movement of fans from the Argos to the Blue Jays. To me, Toronto became a city of American wannabes. Total lack of respect for the exciting Canadian version of football and the incredible athletes playing.

Will
10-15-2016, 10:59 AM
The Argos played a lot of great football in the 80s but there was also a lot of heartbreak too. As a kid, I was disappointed with the movement of fans from the Argos to the Blue Jays. To me, Toronto became a city of American wannabes. Total lack of respect for the exciting Canadian version of football and the incredible athletes playing.

I'm not sure if American wannabee is the right term, but there is definitely a propensity to thumb ones nose at leagues that they deem to be inferior. But, you don't see the NLL or AHL get attacked. With CFL haters, they always seem to like to tell you that they hate the CFL. Whether one can infer that the haters see the CFL has more of a threat is unknown. I don't understand why it has to be one or the other for a lot of people. I'm capable of enjoying both the NFL and CFL.

AngeloV
10-15-2016, 11:57 AM

I'm in the same boat. The arrival of the Blue Jays to far too many people meant Toronto had evolved from a great Canadian city to a world class city, with snobby types thumbing their noses at the Argos and CFL. Everyone at work teases me about my passion for the Argos. I also believe that Toronto in general is obsessed with money, and sees how little these guys make compared to the Jays, Raps and Leafs and automatically have no interest as a result

Will
10-29-2016, 02:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXcuVsDAKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r25pFueWHCA

A game from the fall of 1983 between the Eskimos and Argos. Joe Barnes starts in place of an injured Condredge Holloway.

ArgoRavi
10-30-2016, 03:10 AM
The 1983 Esks/Argos game was played on Thanksgiving Sunday. It was a terrific game and I strongly recommend watching it.

Will
10-30-2016, 11:02 AM
The 1983 Esks/Argos game was played on Thanksgiving Sunday. It was a terrific game and I strongly recommend watching it.

It was a pretty good game. I don't think either team scored as many points as they were capable of, but both defence's played quite well.

1971GreyCup
10-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Great football! Enjoyed Lancaster and Cahill calling the plays. No penalties called well into the second quarter. But did see what would now be considered infractions. Sorry to see the CFL turn into penalty happy games. What is worse with the new challenge rules, is giving the coaches the opportunity to challenge after big plays, hoping for an infraction to be found.

Will
10-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Geoff Townsend had some nice speed. I never saw him play live because he retired well before I can remember, but it seems like he was stuck in that receiver spot opposite Terry Greer for so long and he was sort of behind Tolbert, Pearson, Carinci and Minter on the pecking order that he never had a chance to live up to potential.

I think Greer had more unbelievable games in 1983, but from the second he catches that pass from Barnes and turns the corner the crowd is going ballistic. Witnessing a 2000-yard season back then must have been awesome.

OV Argo
10-31-2016, 06:08 PM
Geoff Townsend had some nice speed. I never saw him play live because he retired well before I can remember, but it seems like he was stuck in that receiver spot opposite Terry Greer for so long and he was sort of behind Tolbert, Pearson, Carinci and Minter on the pecking order that he never had a chance to live up to potential.

I think Greer had more unbelievable games in 1983, but from the second he catches that pass from Barnes and turns the corner the crowd is going ballistic. Witnessing a 2000-yard season back then must have been awesome.

Townsend did have great speed - I recall a play where he tracked down from behind & tackled an opponent kick-off returner who seemed like he was gone to the house for a TD. Townsend was a decent receiver but he was always well down the order behind other good Argo receivers and never had that many passes thrown his way; not sure if he could have been a # 1 or 2 type receiver if he had that opportunity, but with that kind of speed - maybe ?

AngeloV
10-31-2016, 09:43 PM
Townsend did have great speed - I recall a play where he tracked down from behind & tackled an opponent kick-off returner who seemed like he was gone to the house for a TD. Townsend was a decent receiver but he was always well down the order behind other good Argo receivers and never had that many passes thrown his way; not sure if he could have been a # 1 or 2 type receiver if he had that opportunity, but with that kind of speed - maybe ?

Greg Holmes was another good one on that team that just got caught in the numbers game, but always did well when he played.

doubleblue
10-31-2016, 10:07 PM
It was a pretty good game. I don't think either team scored as many points as they were capable of, but both defence's played quite well.
Them were the good old days. Best uniforms, few penalties (even though Jake was the referee) good crowd, exciting plays and players. Cahill and Lancaster in the booth.

Will
11-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Greg Holmes was another good one on that team that just got caught in the numbers game, but always did well when he played.

As I understand it from Paul's book the reason for that may have been because he was Greer's backup in that particular receiver spot. Paul "laments" in his book that Greer was held to 100 yards even in that 50-16 win over Hamilton and that Joe Barnes threw an 87-yard touchdown to Holmes late in the game after Greer had been taken out because the Argos were up by so much.

AngeloV
11-01-2016, 09:20 PM
As I understand it from Paul's book the reason for that may have been because he was Greer's backup in that particular receiver spot. Paul "laments" in his book that Greer was held to 100 yards even in that 50-16 win over Hamilton and that Joe Barnes threw an 87-yard touchdown to Holmes late in the game after Greer had been taken out because the Argos were up by so much.

Yes that's true. Back then, they didn't do formations based on the boundary or field side of the formation. Greer 95% of the time lined up as the wideout on the right side of the formation.

Argoknot
11-11-2016, 04:04 PM
Zenon Andrusyshyn called the "Number one punter in the country" by the commentator (2:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQSdtthPx0

Wikipedia: Andrusyshyn was born in Germany before his family moved to Ontario, Canada. He attended Oakville Trafalgar High School where he practiced track and soccer. He participated with the Canadian team in the javelin throw during the 1966 British Empire and Commonwealth Games. He held the Canadian javelin record with a throw of 242 feet 6 inches.

He received a track and field scholarship for UCLA, but suffered an elbow injury while preparing for the 1968 Summer Olympics and decided to walk-on to the football team. In one practice he kicked field goals of 57 and 62 yards.

He led the NCAA in punting as a sophomore with a 44.2 average, but against USC he missed an extra point that gave them the victory and the eventual 1967 championship. He would become a two-time All-American punter (1967, 1969).

Coach John McKay of USC, UCLA's rival, remarked that "Andrusyshyn kicks with low leverage," and in the 1967 USC-UCLA game, the USC Trojans blocked two Andrusyshyn field goals and an extra point en route to a 21–20 victory. He was voted to UCLA's All Century Team.

ArgoRavi
11-12-2016, 03:41 AM
Andrusyshyn was a fine punter but an erratic FG kicker.

Will
11-12-2016, 06:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RXVNaNndgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJeGCk9H14

The first game for Rocket Ismail in an Argo uniform and the 1991 home opener for the Argos.

zontar
11-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Was this the game where Hollywood celebrities were promised. IIRC Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman names mentioned and wasn't there a post game "Blues Brothers" concert too ?

Or have I got games mixed up ?

ArgoRavi
11-13-2016, 08:58 PM
Was this the game where Hollywood celebrities were promised. IIRC Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman names mentioned and wasn't there a post game "Blues Brothers" concert too ?

Or have I got games mixed up ?

A number of celebrities did show up although not the two that you mentioned. The Blues Brothers (with Jim instead of the deceased John Belushi) performed at halftime.

Will
11-13-2016, 09:14 PM
Watching that game, I can sorta understand why the decision was made in 1991 offseason to let Dunigan go. Way too injury prone, however, it really should've been noted that the Argos were winning games down the stretch in 1991 in spite of Rickey Foggie and not because of him.

Will
12-10-2016, 11:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W97NoERBZJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCAwp9lAOBU

This is the Argos season opener from 1991 against the Ottawa Rough Riders played at Lansdowne Park a week prior to the home opener against the Tiger-Cats. Rocket Ismail was injured and did not play in this game, but the Argos still had more than enough talent. Of note, Pinball fumbles three times during the game, but also takes back a punt 94-yards that sets up a TD.

AngeloV
12-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Damn those Argos uniforms were sharp in '91. and I forgot just how bad Joe Galat was on commentary.

Argo57
12-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Damn those Argos uniforms were sharp in '91. and I forgot just how bad Joe Galat was on commentary.

Nicest uniforms they've ever had IMO, add the boat logo to the helmet and you have a winner!!

ArgoRavi
12-11-2016, 01:22 AM

Galat had to be the worst analyst ever. He only lasted two seasons IIRC (1991-92) before CBC threw in the towel on him.

Will
12-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Galat was pretty bad and this was coming off arguably the best PBP-Color duo of all time in Wittman and Lancaster.

zontar
12-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Eskimo dynasty fades away.

ArgoRavi
12-11-2016, 07:13 PM
Galat was pretty bad and this was coming off arguably the best PBP-Color duo of all time in Wittman and Lancaster.

CBC should have just brought Leo Cahill back when Lancaster returned to the sidelines.

paulwoods13
12-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Nicest uniforms they've ever had IMO, add the boat logo to the helmet and you have a winner!!

Great overall look, especially from the waist down (Oxford Blue pants with beautiful striping, and LOVE the Cambridge Blue socks), but the sleeve stripes were too small and the unis would have been greatly enhanced with piping around the numbers. I still say best uniform ever was the 1978-79 version, especially the road whites.

Argo57
12-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Great overall look, especially from the waist down (Oxford Blue pants with beautiful striping, and LOVE the Cambridge Blue socks), but the sleeve stripes were too small and the unis would have been greatly enhanced with piping around the numbers. I still say best uniform ever was the 1978-79 version, especially the road whites.

Valid point in regards to the striping on the sleeves, I like the more traditional looking uniforms from back in those days compared to to today's version.

Scooter McCray
12-13-2016, 08:26 AM
The boat logo is classic. Generations in Toronto have no idea about it. I really think if done properly it can be the basis of the brand rejuvenation and young people could get into it. The new organization would be a hit with the old diehards and the creativity could captivate new fans.

doubleblue
12-13-2016, 08:54 AM

You've got my vote on that. But if they don't want the boat logo on the helmet have it on the sweaters. I never did like the Jason logo on the helmets. Would rather see an "A" or the written "argonauts".

doubleblue
12-13-2016, 09:17 AM
August 9, 1985: Edmonton Eskimos @ Toronto Argonauts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw-sLoitZj0

He has not posted Part 2 yet.

August 23, 1969: BC Lions @ Toronto Argonauts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4uCxM245pY

July 11, 1996: Toronto Argonauts @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzfiizQLHq0

On viewer's choice, WTF!

Fun watching Flutie do his magic with the 1996 Argos. That was an outstanding team and with Flutie at QB they were almost unbeatable. Unfortunately back then the crowds weren't even as good as currently. I can remember sitting in the Sky Dome and the announced crowd would just over 13,000.

paulwoods13
12-13-2016, 09:34 AM
You've got my vote on that. But if they don't want the boat logo on the helmet have it on the sweaters. I never did like the Jason logo on the helmets. Would rather see an "A" or the written "argonauts".

Argonauts is too long a word to be printed legibly on a helmet, and the Argos logo used in 1989-90 was atrociously amateurish.

AngeloV
12-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Argonauts is too long a word to be printed legibly on a helmet, and the Argos logo used in 1989-90 was atrociously amateurish.

Looked like a cheap ripoff of the NY Giants helmets at the time.

Will
12-13-2016, 05:18 PM
I don't dislike the 1991-1994 Argonaut uniforms, but I do not think they are the best that the team has worn. The 1979 or 1980 uniforms take that prize for me.

Will
12-14-2016, 06:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APBlOdXzoeU

7dj83r8f78t4alf8