PDA

View Full Version : Argo Tickets Disposable by Steve Simmons

argofandave
04-21-2012, 12:38 PM
This article was printed in the Toronto Sun on July 29, 1989:

The time is right to make an investment in Toronto's football future: Tear up your Argo tickets.

Use them as wallpaper. Give them to the kids for crayoning. Just don't sit in the seats.

And if you're a member of the majority and don't have them anyway, don't go out and buy them.

These are troubled times for football in Toronto and there are but a few solutions to end the difficulty.

The first solution has been attempted and failed. The SkyDome aside, there simply isn't genuine interest in the Argos anymore. Attendance figures prove it, but moreso it is found away from the stadium: at lunch, at cocktail parties and in the bars at night.

Nobody is talking football in Toronto anymore.

The same people who sit out on their porch listening nightly to any one of 162 Blue Jays' games on radio aren't doing the same on football nights. The same people who will debate at length the relative merits of releasing Bob Brenly and promoting Francisco Cabrera don't sit around arguing which Argo contributes more, Mike Clemons of Lorenzo Graham.

When Tony Fernandez was hit by a pitch earlier this season and missed a Blue Jays' month, his health became a conversational focus in Toronto, a part of daily life.

When Gilbert Renfroe injured his finger and relinquished the quarterbacking job with the Argos just days ago, few even noticed.

The dilemma Toronto finds itself in is this: What is good for the CFL is bad for Toronto. And what is good for Toronto is bad for the CFL.

The very health of the league is in Toronto's hands, both from a franchise perspective and a television ratings game. Either way, the largest market in the country can have impact.

And what we propose here is flexing some of that muscle, advocating the beginning of the end. The mercy killing of the Canadian League.

In their state-of-the-art home, the Argos need to scratch, claw and pad attendance figures to come up with the 34,000 they're announcing these days. That's 11,000 less than the Blue Jays have drawn an any single night at the Dome.

An NFL franchise here tomorrow would sell out the SkyDome in hours - for a decade if it had to - by simply making the announcement it had arrived.

But for Toronto to have hope - and it should be stressed it is just that - of ever joining the NFL, the CFL must first expire.

Torontonians can play a part in this expiration. They can stop going to Argo games. They can stop buying tickets. The sooner the better.

Once the NFL straightens out its commissioner situation and comes to a solution on its collective bargaining arrangement, the league will expand. Probably by four teams. There are but two certainties with NFL expansion. Baltimore and St. Louis are in. Both will be granted franchises to make up for the teams already lost.

Which leaves two openings and no clear-cut favourites. If Toronto was included on the list of those applying, and considering the mighty attendance numbers the Blue Jays are flashing, it might vault past the Jacksonvilles, San Antonios, Oaklands and Montreals, to be in line with Memphis for the third and fourth slots. But with the CFL alive, not even a bid would be considered.

Some people will be angered by this stance. Some people will insist I am influenced by certain executives of this newspaper and their persuit of an NFL franchise. But that isn't true.

I grew up on the CFL. I vehemently debated the relative merits of Wally Gabler and Tom Wilkinson as quarterbacks.

I would like nothing better than to see a strong and vibrant CFL, but I am also realistic enough to know that is no longer possible. The argument of sound entertainment isn't enough to sell sport anymore: if it were, professional lacrosse would never have died.

Toronto wants big-league sport, presented in a big-league manner. The people will buy the NFL.

They will not buy the CFL anymore.

1argoholic
04-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Why do we have to keep bringing up the BS? We're heading into the year of the 100th Grey Cup to be played in Toronto. I get ripped for negetive comments about poor play but it seems like everything is a downer when I come on here lately. Therse guys have always written this shite and always will. A huge F U goes out to the whole lot of them from 1Argoholic. I hope I see them in person at Grey Cup because I'll give them two pieces of my mind.

Will
04-21-2012, 03:20 PM
The difficulties of the CFL in the late 1980's are well chronicled and you don't have to read just Simmons' column to recognize this. Where the article loses me (and I suspect most of everyone else) is when he says to simply boycott the Argos to make sure that they disappear.

Otherwise:

The first solution has been attempted and failed. The SkyDome aside, there simply isn't genuine interest in the Argos anymore. Attendance figures prove it, but moreso it is found away from the stadium: at lunch, at cocktail parties and in the bars at night.

Nobody is talking football in Toronto anymore.

Simmons was making this conclusion after just a month playing in the dome. But, 1991 aside and 2004-2007 aside he isn't far off in certain departments. We complain about the lack of interest in CFL football in Toronto as well.

The same people who sit out on their porch listening nightly to any one of 162 Blue Jays' games on radio aren't doing the same on football nights. The same people who will debate at length the relative merits of releasing Bob Brenly and promoting Francisco Cabrera don't sit around arguing which Argo contributes more, Mike Clemons of Lorenzo Graham.

When Tony Fernandez was hit by a pitch earlier this season and missed a Blue Jays' month, his health became a conversational focus in Toronto, a part of daily life.

Yeah except it's Maple Leaf hockey now.

In their state-of-the-art home, the Argos need to scratch, claw and pad attendance figures to come up with the 34,000 they're announcing these days. That's 11,000 less than the Blue Jays have drawn an any single night at the Dome.

Attendance parity doesn't look so bad now.

Once the NFL straightens out its commissioner situation and comes to a solution on its collective bargaining arrangement, the league will expand. Probably by four teams. There are but two certainties with NFL expansion. Baltimore and St. Louis are in. Both will be granted franchises to make up for the teams already lost.

Technically the NFL has only added two new markets since 1989.

I would like nothing better than to see a strong and vibrant CFL, but I am also realistic enough to know that is no longer possible. The argument of sound entertainment isn't enough to sell sport anymore: if it were, professional lacrosse would never have died.

Well professional lacrosse is back!

KCargosfan
04-21-2012, 05:30 PM
An interesting article might be how much better it is to be a CFL player than it was even 10-12 years ago. The strength of the Canadian dollar has now made the CFL a pretty lucrative job -- by normal standards. Whereas in 2000, if an American player made $50K in the CFL, that might only translate to $38-$40K in the U.S. (and after Canadian taxes a lot less), now the strength of the Cando and the higher salaries make being a player a pretty darn good job (by normal standards).

With no kids, one could live on the league minimum -- $45K -- and really only work from June through November.

Most starters make at least $90K, and that's not with preseason and playoff game money factored in.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it would seem unless you are Rocket Ismail, now is the best time to be a CFL player monetarily.

argolio
04-21-2012, 05:48 PM
The ultimate b.s. line of the column:
Some people will insist I am influenced by certain executives of this newspaper and their pursuit of an NFL franchise. But that isn't true.

And here are some more words of wisdom from Simmons circa the early 90s........

I’d rather watch a pre-season NFL game than a regular season CFL game.

I wonder if Bruce McNall & co. had any idea what they were getting into when they got involved with the CFL? Gentlemen, welcome to the small time.

Is there anything more appropriate than John Candy heading up the CFL’s expansion committee?

When was the last time someone made a tackle in the CFL and Leif Petterson said insightful on TSN that didn’t make him sound like a CFL shill?

We have this office pool. It’s based on when the first tackle will be made this CFL season. I have week 16. I like my chances.

After all the rhetoric is stripped away, the bottom line is the Hamilton Tiger-Cats can’t possibly survive. The sooner the CFL acts on this, the better it will be for the health of the league.

Just wondering: Who won that Argos-Sacramento game last night?

Word around the NFL now is that Toronto will be included in the second wave of expansion, likely at the end of the 90s.

I give up – who the heck is Manny Hazard and how did he wind up the Argos’ player of the year?

I heard there is a big dog show at the Skydome this weekend. I thought the Argos season was over.

To his credit, he has drastically toned down his comments about the CFL in recent years, but a lot of that is because he finally figured out the chances of Toronto getting an NFL team are slim.

ArgoRavi
04-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Some in the media get angry at CFL fans for being too sensitive but with all of these comments from Simmons alone over the last 20+ years, how can we not be sensitive?

LLB997
04-21-2012, 08:29 PM
a few thoughts on this. first of all, thanks alot ArgofanDave for digging up this Simmons turd. This just proves how Torontos sports media is basically a 1 trick pony and this man really has nothing of interest to offer when it comes to a unique and original perspective on the local sports scene. Its actually a pretty hilarious article especially the part about the lack of hardcore Argos talk at cocktail parties, lol. Oh, and i also love how these guys defend their comments with the Ì grew up on the CFL arguement like that gives it credibility. Great comment by KCargosfan on the salaries. 10 years ago the league had no problem attracting players. now with a very strong dollar this league has to be in the top 20 paying leagues in the world i would think.

Invader
04-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Oh, c'mon, Simmons loves the CFL. I need evidence that Simmons has ever written anything against the CFL. Sure, he asks some tough questions about the league, like: "But with the CFL alive, not even a bid would be considered", but like any great investigative journalist sometimes you have to ruffle some feathers to find the dirt!

T-Bone
04-22-2012, 01:48 PM
As a more recent fan of the Argos and the CFL I have only heard about how bad things were but didn't realize it was to this extent. That's amazing that piece was even aloud to be published.

argotom
04-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Some in the media get angry at CFL fans for being too sensitive but with all of these comments from Simmons alone over the last 20+ years, how can we not be sensitive?

Absolutely Ravi, and the crap from Simmons is just the tip of the iceberg.
I was fighting this kind of garbage all through school many years ago when I was the only one on the CFL island.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8