PDA

View Full Version : Oct 29: BC @ SASK

Will
10-28-2016, 09:37 AM
The last game from (supposedly) historic Taylor Field.

1971GreyCup
10-28-2016, 11:31 AM

The Final Season at Taylor Field campaign speaks to the value of marketing! Toronto Argos still have a very long way to go to instil this kind've excitement.

AngeloV
10-28-2016, 12:07 PM
The Final Season at Taylor Field campaign speaks to the value of marketing! Toronto Argos still have a very long way to go to instil this kind've excitement.

A lot easier to do when you are the only pro team in town (with all due respect to the lacrosse community). Not defending Torontonians, just being honest. Argos were kings of the summer when it was just them and the Leafs.

1971GreyCup
10-28-2016, 01:21 PM
A lot easier to do when you are the only pro team in town (with all due respect to the lacrosse community). Not defending Torontonians, just being honest. Argos were kings of the summer when it was just them and the Leafs.

I am not sure I buy it. RedBlack's have huge excitement AND an NHL team. I recall when people said that Ottawa was not a CFL type city.

Regina hasn't always delivered on the sizzle. They weren't a CFL type city either, when they were going door-to-door and holding tv marathons too.

Calgary too suffered from atrocious management and marketing. Selling a team, who's owner bought it to get his QB a job. That must have been a tough sell. Calgary is doing just fine AND in an NHL town too.

Argos will figure it out.

By the way, if you think Final Season at Taylor Field is big, just imagine the marketing campaign to go along with the amazing new Mosaic Field.

R.J
10-28-2016, 05:42 PM
I don't get the supposedly part. Do you think new Mosaic won't be ready for the start of next season or not think Mosaic is historic to the Rider fan base ?

PullTogether73
10-28-2016, 10:43 PM
I am not sure I buy it. RedBlack's have huge excitement AND an NHL team. I recall when people said that Ottawa was not a CFL type city.

Calgary is doing just fine AND in an NHL town too.

Your comparison here is flawed imo.
The CFL and NHL regular seasons overlap only in October.
The Leafs and Argonauts owned the sports landscape in Toronto for decades - Leafs in winter/spring, Argonauts in summer/fall.
Same as Senators/REDBLACKS, Flames/Stampeders, Oilers/Eskimos, Canucks/Lions, Jets/Blue Bombers, and Canadiens/Alouettes now.

So, what is the difference?
Blue Jays.

Put a MLB team in Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Montreal.
Then have one of the two national sports networks own and market those teams 24/7, to the virtual exclusion of the CFL teams in those cities.
I'd be curious to see how the CFL teams do in that scenario.

ArgoRavi
10-29-2016, 12:45 AM
Your comparison here is flawed imo.
The CFL and NHL regular seasons overlap only in October.
The Leafs and Argonauts owned the sports landscape in Toronto for decades - Leafs in winter/spring, Argonauts in summer/fall.
Same as Senators/REDBLACKS, Flames/Stampeders, Oilers/Eskimos, Canucks/Lions, Jets/Blue Bombers, and Canadiens/Alouettes now.

So, what is the difference?
Blue Jays.

Put a MLB team in Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Montreal.
Then have one of the two national sports networks own and market those teams 24/7, to the virtual exclusion of the CFL teams in those cities.
I'd be curious to see how the CFL teams do in that scenario.

Don't forget about the NBA in Toronto as well which overlaps with the CFL season for a couple of months.

1971GreyCup
10-29-2016, 10:20 AM
It's pretty hard to imagine a major metropolis not being able to support a number of different sports. What are there, 6 million people in this area to draw from locally. We all know of Argo fans that attend games from outside the GTA.

Are we suggesting that the fan-base for all sports draw from a pool of the same 50,000 or less than 1% of the population? I was in Ireland last summer. There's a total national population of 3 million people coast-to-coast. The week I was there, they drew +80,000 for two hurling matches, 50,000 fans for a NCAA football, plus a number local rugby matches and a national football (soccer) friendly.

I suggest that the CFL has a similar place in the sports hierarchy to rugby in the English Premiership League crazy United Kingdom. Manchester supports two teams that draw in excess of 100,000 on weekends on a GMA population.

A better job is required on the product side, the pricing side and the marketing IMO.

1971GreyCup
10-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Great video on the Farewell to Taylor Field event.

https://www.facebook.com/GreenZoneSK/videos/623563907813592/

AngeloV
10-29-2016, 12:07 PM
I don't get the supposedly part. Do you think new Mosaic won't be ready for the start of next season or not think Mosaic is historic to the Rider fan base ?

Not wanting to speak for the Don, but I'm guessing he is questioning the validity of the term "historic" where Taylor Field is concerned.

argotom
10-29-2016, 10:54 PM
Just watched the closing ceremonies after the game.
It was awesome.
Too bad the vast majority here in the wannabe kool aid world class city of ours finds itself above small town class that I just watched.

ArgoRavi
10-30-2016, 03:05 AM
Just watched the closing ceremonies after the game.
It was awesome.
Too bad the vast majority here in the wannabe kool aid world class city of ours finds itself above small town class that I just watched.

You are being a bit more blunt about it than I, AT, but similar thoughts crossed my mind while watching that. The Riders did a phenomenal job closing their original stadium out.

1971GreyCup
10-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Being a CFL fan, born and raised in TO, I have the greatest admiration for the Western teams. First, and foremost, I truly am in heaven sitting in Regina with a full house of Rider fans cheering for this great sport. The electricity game day in the City.

It has been a long time since I had that feeling in Toronto.

KCargosfan
10-31-2016, 05:30 AM

Will be interesting to see what happens when the Blue Jays have a mediocre season again (which I don't think it too far off) and if the Raptors don't make a deep playoff run. If the Argos have a good team and/or entertaining product, I would think crowds would increase.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8