PDA

View Full Version : Nov 12 - Eskimos at Hamilton

Will
11-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Game discussion should go here.

On paper it doesn't look great for the Ticats. I'd be curious to see if this game marks the first instance where the crossover team had a significantly better record than the eastern opponent.

ArgoRavi
11-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Game discussion should go here.

On paper it doesn't look great for the Ticats. I'd be curious to see if this game marks the first instance where the crossover team had a significantly better record than the eastern opponent.

IIRC, Edmonton (crossing over) was 10-8 and Winnipeg 8-10 in 2008 which was one of the two times that the crossover team won the semi-final game. I don't believe that a three game difference between the crossover team and the 2nd place hosting team has occurred before.

Ron
11-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Cats will be in the GC this year. My pick to win it all.

AngeloV
11-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Cats will be in the GC this year. My pick to win it all.

But then we'll never get Eric Tillman here.

;)

Argoknot
11-11-2016, 04:46 PM
I so hate Edmonton now under the Compton hood. The classy Eskimo Way is dead and I would love to see Hamilton cream them, but unfortunately when it comes to sports what I want to see pass rarely comes true. So sad.

From the mic issue to calling out Simeon Rottier a few years ago, to banning the Ottawa Lumberjacks, I now truly despise this once proud and classy franchise.

gilthethrill
11-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Hamilton in a close contest. Going to be a tough hard hitting game. When asked about the game Jason Maas had this to say.....

R.J
11-12-2016, 01:12 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Esks?src=hash">#Esks</a> depth chart vs. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ticats?src=hash">#Ticats</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/FWtq9X2gAS">pic.twitter.com/FWtq9X2gAS</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/797472701334036481">November 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ticats?src=hash">#Ticats</a> depth chart vs. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Esks?src=hash">#Esks</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/Ticats">@Ticats</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/scratchingpost">@scratchingpost</a> <a href="https://t.co/0Iubr5Jy3j">pic.twitter.com/0Iubr5Jy3j</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/797483060145123328">November 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think the Eskimos have the edge in this game as they're better offensively and defensively IMO, but a Ticat upset wouldn't surprise me.

argolio
11-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Hamilton in a close contest. Going to be a tough hard hitting game. When asked about the game Jason Maas had this to say.....lol!

PullTogether73
11-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Hamilton in a close contest. Going to be a tough hard hitting game. When asked about the game Jason Maas had this to say.....

I literally LOL'd to this!

Bleeds Double Blue
11-13-2016, 01:41 PM
This may be a little off topic but yesterday I watched UBC lose to Calgary in the Canada West final. It was refreshing to see a game with all of the intensity you would expect of a final but without the chirping and showboating that you see in CFL games including this one. No "in your face" yapping after every tackle or spinning the ball on a 6 yard reception when you needed 10. The CFL may think of their antics after the whistle are colourful but to me it smacks more and more of wrestling and is truly unprofessional. The league should take a page from the CIS handbook to see that a hard hitting affair can go hand in hand with sportsmanship and respect for your opponent.

In other words, John White, shut the f**k up and play the game.

gilthethrill
11-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Wow....back to back gut wrenching post season losses for the Cats. Hope Ottawa beats the crap out of Edmonton next Sunday.

Ron
11-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Wow. Sure glad the Argos don't have that flash in the pan that threw that late INT.

Ron
11-13-2016, 04:59 PM
This may be a little off topic but yesterday I watched UBC lose to Calgary in the Canada West final. It was refreshing to see a game with all of the intensity you would expect of a final but without the chirping and showboating that you see in CFL games including this one. No "in your face" yapping after every tackle or spinning the ball on a 6 yard reception when you needed 10. The CFL may think of their antics after the whistle are colourful but to me it smacks more and more of wrestling and is truly unprofessional. The league should take a page from the CIS handbook to see that a hard hitting affair can go hand in hand with sportsmanship and respect for your opponent.

In other words, John White, shut the f**k up and play the game.

So you're saying you don't approve of African American culture? ;-)

R.J
11-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Maas and Benevides came up with a good gameplan for this game. Effectively they used the run game, and made it hard for Zach to find open receivers. The funny thing is in watching the game, I saw similar issues in the Cats as the Argonauts: defence missing tackles and the offence.showing inconsistency at best. Zach's lost his mojo from last season IMO, but I think it's an easy fix to find it again.

The stadium was loud and the crowd was great IMO. I was surrounded by Ticat fans, and had some great conversations, eerily similar thoughts to this place. Fans have grown tired of Austin's offense and wish there was a much greater balance with the run game. Defensively: while the defence was able to shut down Bowman and Walker for the most part, they felt that the secondary sucks and plays too much off the ball, too much space for receivers etc, and their run defence is horrible and has been a big problem under Steinauer. Some were even calling for Steinauer and Austin's head - another season like this and I think the fans will expect change.

Argo57
11-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Just back home from THF, lots of empty seats for this game.
Pretty entertaining game, Edmonton used the running game perfectly, Ticats O nothing to write home about.
Nice throw by Collaros late on the game, TBH I think the Ticats O looks better with Masoli in at QB.
Good ole Zach isn't the player he was last season.
Hamilton fans screaming about the roughing the passer non call on Collaros it was a tad late but a pretty clean hit that Collaros embellished IMO.
Truth be told the Hamilon aren't much better than the Argonauts at this point.

Bleeds Double Blue
11-13-2016, 05:31 PM
Ron I have to admit that I feel like a bit of a hypocrite since I am guilty of an endzone worthy happy dance after Collaros threw that fourth quarter INT.

Wobbler
11-13-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm a bit surprised that Elliott didn't have more of an impact on the game, considering how thin the Ti-Cat receiving corps was. If Reilly can play next week I'd say we're looking at a Calgary-Edmonton Grey Cup game, which is amusing.

argotom
11-13-2016, 06:04 PM
I have to admit Collaros has not been the same this year in fact after the injury late last year.
That pick near the end that cost the game was in triple coverage?

Ron
11-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Ron I have to admit that I feel like a bit of a hypocrite since I am guilty of an endzone worthy happy dance after Collaros threw that fourth quarter INT.

That's the best kind of hypocrisy. ;-)

gilthethrill
11-13-2016, 06:14 PM
I'm a bit surprised that Elliott didn't have more of an impact on the game, considering how thin the Ti-Cat receiving corps was. If Reilly can play next week I'd say we're looking at a Calgary-Edmonton Grey Cup game, which is amusing.

TSN states Reilly will be good to go. I did see Elliott with a nice block. Then he spun the ball.

gilthethrill
11-13-2016, 06:15 PM
I have to admit Collaros has not been the same this year in fact after the injury late last year.

I thought it was terribly under thrown.

OV Argo
11-13-2016, 07:54 PM

It was a bad decision and a horrid under-throw.

Agree with 57 - Kenty shoulda went with Masoli late in the game - he threw and ran well when he was in; he also led the Ticats to that amazing comeback win vs. the Esks in the regular season; and also that Collaos is nowhere near as good now as he was last season.

Steinauer had no answer to stop White's running; shoulda had a big linebacker in the box on 1st downs instead of lightweight cover linebacker like Raymond - especially on first downs; that and Ticats MLB Dean is not very good, and Simoni Lawrence, while a very good overall LB with range, is able to be run straight at and he is not a pure run stopper against a powerful back. Their D got exposed for a weakness and zero attempt to make an adjustment = not smart.

argotom
11-13-2016, 07:57 PM

Yes it was, but still 3 defenders in the area.
I was even thinking how Austin should put Masoli in for the last downs as he did produce an earlier TD.

R.J
11-13-2016, 08:28 PM
Yes it was, but still 3 defenders in the area.
I was even thinking how Austin should put Masoli in for the last downs as he did produce an earlier TD.
Collaros was trying to throw to Tolliver behind them, but not only a terrible decision and horribly under thrown. The Ticats fans beside me were thinking the same re: putting Masoli in.
A lot of Ticat fans have turned on Zach (making too much money and isn't playing the way he did last season), Austin (his offence has been figured out and he has no concept of the run game, and as GM hasn't brought in enough talent starters or depth), Steinauer (too many holes in his defence, and terrible against the run), and Banks (continually heard: "stop complaining and flapping your arms and give us a big play").

The fanbase is getting restless and complaining about ticket prices and sth's benefits as well. Even heard mention about water fountains.

argotom
11-13-2016, 08:32 PM
Collaros was trying to throw to Tolliver behind them, but not only a terrible decision and horribly under thrown. The Ticats fans beside me were thinking the same re: putting Masoli in.
A lot of Ticat fans have turned on Zach (making too much money and isn't playing the way he did last season), Austin (his offence has been figured out and he has no concept of the run game, and as GM hasn't brought in enough talent starters or depth), Steinauer (too many holes in his defence, and terrible against the run), and Banks (continually heard: "stop complaining and flapping your arms and give us a big play").

The fanbase is getting restless and complaining about ticket prices and sth's benefits as well. Even heard mention about water fountains.

Of course, we have to remember Zach lost his top 3 receivers and how many teams can say that and still be in a positon to win.

ArgoZ
11-13-2016, 08:50 PM
Argonauts fans making excuses for the Cats! There used to be a time when we would all simply enjoy the loss. It almost sounds like people believe that Collaros was NOT the long term solution for the Argos, but were ready to hang the Argos management. Eastern Semi's have always been tough sells for a variety of reasons, the attendance was expected.

Argo57
11-13-2016, 08:51 PM

Most of your comments sound very familiar.

ArgoRavi
11-13-2016, 08:52 PM
Of course, we have to remember Zach lost his top 3 receivers and how many teams can say that and still be in a positon to win.

Ricky lost his entire receiving corps two years ago but that didn't stop criticism of him even though he was still the East's MOP that year.

ArgoGabe22
11-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Elliot only had one catch late, not worthy of a ball spin. Raymond had two tackles, and one of them was after John White beat him pretty bad. I believe Hazleton didn't even dress.

ArgoGabe22
11-13-2016, 08:55 PM

The losses are getting to them. More water fountains at THF than at BMO. I had no issues and took advantage of the fountains. Wasn't there a promotion if fans renewed in a specific window of dates, then it's something like 50% off their original ST price?

ArgoRavi
11-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Elliot only had one catch, not worth of a ball spin. Raymond had two tackles, and one of them was after John White beat him pretty bad. I believe Hazleton didn't even dress.

Hazelton is so far down Edmonton's depth chart that he didn't even dress for a nothing game last week.

Will
11-13-2016, 09:25 PM
The lunatics who sit behind me in Hamilton were turning on Collaros, and when I say lunatics I mean lunatics. One of them actually openly cheered when Reilly got injured and by the end we got such quotes as "The CFL is rigged" and "The command centre is in Toronto so that's why all the calls go against us." I would like to know what the explanation was on the late non-call RTP. The replays in the stadium certainly suggested that it might've been RTP. Anyways, Ticats lost because they couldn't stop the run. They actually did a reasonable job containing the Eskimo passing game. As for Zach, that throw at the end was brutal but he needed another target aside from Tyms or Tims or however it is spelled.

AngeloV
11-13-2016, 09:35 PM

It was just a bad throw. There is no such thing as triple coverage. No team ever assigns 3 defenders to cover 1 receiver. Sorry, but that term really bothers me.

AngeloV
11-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Maas and Benevides came up with a good gameplan for this game.

Maas made a terrible blunder that almost cost his team the game. He had choice in the 2nd half and gave Hamilton the wind in the 4th quarter. He is very lucky that A) Collaros threw that pick B) White's fumble on the next play came right back to him.

Will
11-13-2016, 09:42 PM
Maas made a terrible blunder that almost cost his team the game. He had choice in the 2nd half and gave Hamilton the wind in the 4th quarter. He is very lucky that A) Collaros threw that pick B) White's fumble on the next play came right back to him.

Edmonton fumbled several times in the game and recovered each one.

R.J
11-13-2016, 10:34 PM
Argonauts fans making excuses for the Cats! There used to be a time when we would all simply enjoy the loss. It almost sounds like people believe that Collaros was NOT the long term solution for the Argos, but were ready to hang the Argos management. Eastern Semi's have always been tough sells for a variety of reasons, the attendance was expected.
I for one am not willing to give up on Collaros.

Most of your comments sound very familiar.
Not going to lie I thought about this place and my own comments about the Argonauts throughout the game today. Spoke to a couple of fans about it too, they got a good laugh and said: "we're not that bad yet". lol

The losses are getting to them. More water fountains at THF than at BMO. I had no issues and took advantage of the fountains. Wasn't there a promotion if fans renewed in a specific window of dates, then it's something like 50% off their original ST price?
I have no idea. I do remember reading about something like that, but was that just for the first season, or fans who renew their seats every year, similar to TFC's ticket prices for STH's ?

The lunatics who sit behind me in Hamilton were turning on Collaros, and when I say lunatics I mean lunatics. One of them actually openly cheered when Reilly got injured and by the end we got such quotes as "The CFL is rigged" and "The command centre is in Toronto so that's why all the calls go against us." I would like to know what the explanation was on the late non-call RTP. The replays in the stadium certainly suggested that it might've been RTP. Anyways, Ticats lost because they couldn't stop the run. They actually did a reasonable job containing the Eskimo passing game. As for Zach, that throw at the end was brutal but he needed another target aside from Tyms or Tims or however it is spelled.
I lol'd at the "CFL is rigged" comment. I had no issue with the Odell hit, I'd have more issue with it if they did call it RTP, but I will admit the CFL has called that RTP in the past, so it's on the CFl to finally get Johnson and his crew to call the damn thing consistently.

Funny enough I saw the highlights on TSN, and they showed Odell asking Collaros if he was fine, Collaros said yes, then essentially admitted that he embellished a bit. So, maybe fans need to keep that in mind.

Edmonton fumbled several times in the game and recovered each one.
Yeah, that's where I thought the Eskimos got lucky, but the Ticats deserved the loss for never capitalizing on the mistakes.

argolio
11-14-2016, 12:48 AM
Gable needed to get more touches. He was arguably their best offensive player the last part of the season.

That new Ticat receiver Tyms looked really good. Watt and Collins contributed enough. Tolliver, Elliot and Banks didn't.

Ticat run D was poor. Chick and Laurent were almost invisible, but their other defensive players played pretty well....except Keon Raymond. He stole money from two teams this season.

Edmonton's line play really shined in this game. Their d-line depth might be the best in the league.

Simoni Lawrence may talk a lot, but he doesn't taunt nearly as much as Deon Lacey. That dude is really annoying.

Go Ottawa!

ArgoRavi
11-14-2016, 01:45 AM

I wanted Hamilton to win but, after seeing the replay, I thought that it would have been a bad call to call it roughing the passer. Odell didn't even appear to take one step before hitting Collaros cleanly. The biggest issue on that play and what, arguably, cost the Ticats the game was the holding penalty.

Wobbler
11-14-2016, 01:57 AM
It was just a bad throw. There is no such thing as triple coverage. No team ever assigns 3 defenders to cover 1 receiver. Sorry, but that term really bothers me.
I feel the same way. Even "double coverage" is nearly always the result of a mistake or just a couple of guys playing their positions.

ArgoRavi
11-14-2016, 01:59 AM
What if Collaros had checked down instead on that play?

Argo57
11-14-2016, 07:37 AM
I for one am not willing to give up on Collaros.

Not going to lie I thought about this place and my own comments about the Argonauts throughout the game today. Spoke to a couple of fans about it too, they got a good laugh and said: "we're not that bad yet". lol

I have no idea. I do remember reading about something like that, but was that just for the first season, or fans who renew their seats every year, similar to TFC's ticket prices for STH's ?

I lol'd at the "CFL is rigged" comment. I had no issue with the Odell hit, I'd have more issue with it if they did call it RTP, but I will admit the CFL has called that RTP in the past, so it's on the CFl to finally get Johnson and his crew to call the damn thing consistently.

Funny enough I saw the highlights on TSN, and they showed Odell asking Collaros if he was fine, Collaros said yes, then essentially admitted that he embellished a bit. So, maybe fans need to keep that in mind.

Yeah, that's where I thought the Eskimos got lucky, but the Ticats deserved the loss for never capitalizing on the mistakes.

Each time they replayed the hit on their scoreboard the only thing that it clearly pointed out was that Collaros embellished the severity of it.

Antwon
11-14-2016, 12:47 PM
I don't think Collaros has been the same since coming back from the concussion this year.
He seems skittish in the pocket. Doesn't trust the O-line or play calling to protect him. Pass have not been accurate.
I really think Massoli would have faired better in the second half.

AngeloV
11-14-2016, 03:02 PM
I don't think Collaros has been the same since coming back from the concussion this year.
He seems skittish in the pocket. Doesn't trust the O-line or play calling to protect him. Pass have not been accurate.
I really think Massoli would have faired better in the second half.

To me the bigger issue is his mobility after the ACL injury last season. He can't buy time for himself the way he did in the first half of 2015. That is where he made huge plays last season by challenging the line then throwing to wide open receivers.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8