PDA

View Full Version : Is now the best time monetarily to be a CFL player?

KCargosfan
04-22-2012, 05:38 PM
This is what I posted in another thread:

An interesting article might be how much better it is to be a CFL player than it was even 10-12 years ago. The strength of the Canadian dollar has now made the CFL a pretty lucrative job -- by normal standards. Whereas in 2000, if an American player made $50K in the CFL, that might only translate to $38-$40K in the U.S. (and after Canadian taxes a lot less), now the strength of the Cando and the higher salaries make being a player a pretty darn good job (by normal standards).

With no kids, one could live on the league minimum -- $45K -- and really only work from June through November. (And for 75 percent of the teams, league minimum is $48K)

Most starters make at least $90K, and that's not with preseason and playoff game money factored in.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it would seem unless you are Rocket Ismail, now is the best time to be a CFL player monetarily.

RoRoYoBoat
04-22-2012, 07:38 PM
There was a wave during the 80's where some players made a lot of money but on "average" I don't think players ever ALL made a liveable wage like they do now. The exchange rate is favourable and our economy is much, much better than it is in the US. I am actually surprised that there aren't more American players moving to Canada permanently. It amuses me to see many of them go home and not work during the off season when they could be making some nice money here. They have the work permit... My kid brother hires some crews in Alberta and the guys make 40 to 50 grand in half a year. Yet some prefer to go home and do nothing. Strange...

LLB997
04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Just the fact these guys can use the 5 months off to coach and offseason train shows how the money is so much better nowadays. Its football 12 months a year for quite a few of the new breed unless they are in school preparing for after football.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8