PDA

View Full Version : Accurate statement regarding CFL salaries?

KCargosfan
12-09-2016, 01:30 AM
If you include playoff money and preseason money (minimum of $1575 total), would it be an accurate statement to say 60 percent of the league makes at least $70K a year?

Every player on Ottawa (that was on the roster the entire year) made at LEAST $76,575. (League minimum of $52K, $23K in playoff, $1525 for preseason, more in preseason if you aren't a rookie)

Every player on Calgary (that was on the roster the entire year) made at LEAST $68,575. (League minimum of $52K, $15K in playoff, $1525 for preseason, more in preseason if you aren't a rookie)

Of the remaining 6 clubs, my guess is that at least half the players made at least $70K per year with playoff money and preseason money included.

So would it be correct to say at least 60 percent of the league makes at least $70K per year? Is it closer to 65 percent or 70 percent?

Thoughts?

AngeloV
12-09-2016, 02:13 PM
I think that's a fair assessment. Having said that, it's obviously pre tax dollars, and for American players converting to USD, you're looking at about 53k in pre tax dollars based on the current FX rate.

argotom
12-19-2016, 08:57 PM
The league is in serious need of restructuring the SMS to drastically increase the cap.
My answer is for a $6M cap plus a franchise exempt player with the cap of $1M.
Therefore the average for the roster players which would be the 45 players is let's say $133K.
The PR would be exempt and while we are at it let's double those current bleak weekly amounts.

Ron
12-19-2016, 10:31 PM
The league is in serious need of restructuring the SMS to drastically increase the cap.
Therefore the average for the roster players which would be the 45 players is let's say $133K.
The PR would be exempt and while we are at it let's double those current bleak weekly amounts.

So just go back to spending money most teams don't have.

Argo57
12-20-2016, 08:07 AM

Explain how teams will pay for this plan??

argotom
12-20-2016, 03:04 PM

The current increased TV contract for starters.
Then there is the league allocating corporate sponsorship money that is not publicized to us.
Finally, again we do not know how much is actually spent under the table for player salaries plus the PR payments.
I would wager a strong bet that if these areas are all quantified and streamlined there is no question we could increase the cap to my figures.
It's all about the creative bookkeeping each team has and likely knows the real profit margin.
Anyway, this would entice players to perhaps stay instead of the ridiculous NFL tryouts and especially the franchise player.
Not to mention when our dollar slips to peso like numbers as we are not too far away now with the 30%+ exchange.
Meanwhile, the next TV contract will be in the minimum $75M annual range.

AngeloV
12-20-2016, 07:56 PM

No kidding. The same thing that almost made the league go bankrupt and reach the desperate stage of US expansion just to get a cash infusion. Sorry AT, you must have failed history.

Ron
12-20-2016, 08:55 PM
Sorry AT, you must have failed history.

But where would history be without the AT's of the world to repeat it?

argolio
12-20-2016, 09:39 PM
The collective bargaining agreement and TV contract expire after the 2018 season. Any talk of a big jump in the cap is pointless until then.

paulwoods13
12-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Pretty sure the TV contract has been extended to 2021.

doubleblue
12-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Pretty sure the TV contract has been extended to 2021.

I remember reading something about the a few months ago. Seem to be almost a foot note. It didn't give any figures that I recall, but for the CFL to agree to extend the contract one would think TSN sweetened the pot somewhat.

R.J
12-21-2016, 11:26 AM
The tv deal added about $2 Million to each teams revenue, players received just over $600,000 of it in the first year, and by the end of the CBA the players will receive about $850,000. I would love to see the players get more money, but until significantly more revenue comes to the league, I'm not sure how you can do it.

argolio
12-23-2016, 12:26 AM
Pretty sure the TV contract has been extended to 2021.Then 2021 it is.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8