PDA

View Full Version : What Sophomores Will Break Through in 2017?

jerrym
12-20-2016, 01:23 AM
The CFL site lists 17 sophomores who its opinion are on the verge of breaking through next year. Two of them are Argos - Ken Bishop and Thomas Gordon. I would add Brian Jones. Who do you think is on the verge of a breakout year?

11. Ken Bishop | DL
Team: TOR | Age: 26

His numbers don’t jump off the page, which is not unusual for an interior lineman, but Ken Bishop quietly put up a very solid first CFL season.
The 26-year-old started 15 games for the Argos and recorded three sacks and 21 tackles, helping to replace departed tackles Cleyon Laing and Euclid Cummings.
Bishop should have a starting role locked up for 2017 on a team that could see plenty of change elsewhere.

16. Thomas Gordon | DB
Team: TOR | Age: 25

While 2016 was like a bad dream for Rich Stubler’s Argo defence, it wasn’t all bad. A small handful of young players showed they may just have a CFL future, including linebacker Thomas Gordon.
The 25-year-old is listed as a defensive back but also spent time at the SAM and WILL, recording 37 defensive tackles, two sacks, an interception and a forced fumble over 14 games.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/12/18/on-the-verge-17-sophomores-for-2017/

paulwoods13
12-20-2016, 10:49 AM
Jones, Campbell, Sackey. Some wishful thinking, admittedly.

OV Argo
12-20-2016, 11:44 AM
The CFL site lists 17 sophomores who its opinion are on the verge of breaking through next year. Two of them are Argos - Ken Bishop and Thomas Gordon. I would add Brian Jones. Who do you think is on the verge of a breakout year?

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/12/18/on-the-verge-17-sophomores-for-2017/

??? Just bizzarre.

I was thinking there is little chance that either could make a new revamped & improved defence.

Bishop was MIA or lost a lot of the season IMO - just did not make near enough plays for an everydown DT - I kept wondering how/why Stubler kept trotting this guy out.

And Gordon seemed hit or miss - the odd nice play but whiffed on tackles and didn't look like he could cover well - trying to play a new position - CFL OLB - might have been tough and a lot of learning for him.

Maybe both guys learned a lot though and come back much improved.

How either qualify as "on the verge" sophomores is big-time head scratching ???

Argo57
12-21-2016, 07:44 AM
??? Just bizzarre.

I was thinking there is little chance that either could make a new revamped & improved defence.

Bishop was MIA or lost a lot of the season IMO - just did not make near enough plays for an everydown DT - I kept wondering how/why Stubler kept trotting this guy out.

And Gordon seemed hit or miss - the odd nice play but whiffed on tackles and didn't look like he could cover well - trying to play a new position - CFL OLB - might have been tough and a lot of learning for him.

Maybe both guys learned a lot though and come back much improved.

How either qualify as "on the verge" sophomores is big-time head scratching ???

Perhaps they had to include players from each team for this article so these two were included by default?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8