PDA

View Full Version : NBL Canada Thread

gilthethrill
12-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Just 2 days away before the tip off of season 6. With expansion teams Cape Breton and nearby KW making it a 10 team league, it should help showcase even more Canadian basketball talent.

Look forward to making the short trip to Kitchener to catch some of the action.

ArgoZ
12-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Just 2 days away before the tip off of season 6. With expansion teams Cape Breton and nearby KW making it a 10 team league, it should help showcase even more Canadian basketball talent.

Look forward to making the short trip to Kitchener to catch some of the action.

I'm planning on attending some Niagara River Lions games this season. I would like to get more into the league.

gilthethrill
12-30-2016, 01:08 PM
I'm planning on attending some Niagara River Lions games this season. I would like to get more into the league.

The Meridian Centre looks like a facility. Looks like the River Lions will have an exciting team this season as well.

ArgoZ
01-03-2017, 10:27 PM
The Meridian Centre looks like a facility. Looks like the River Lions will have an exciting team this season as well.

I'm working away from home in St. Mary's and are planning on attending my first ever NBL game this Thursday when the London Lightning host the Niagara River Lions. Pumped! I'll be sure to post a full post game recap for the many basketball and NBL fans here on Argofans! 😆

gilthethrill
01-04-2017, 05:28 AM
I'm working away from home in St. Mary's and are planning on attending my first ever NBL game this Thursday when the London Lightning host the Niagara River Lions. Pumped! I'll be sure to post a full post game recap for the many basketball and NBL fans here on Argofans! 

Look forward to it. I am just up the road in Stratford and am looking forward to seeing the Lightning play KW Sunday afternoon with my 8 year old. It will be our first live NBL game as well. I understand London puts on a great show in front of a big crowd. Enjoy!

ArgoZ
01-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Look forward to it. I am just up the road in Stratford and am looking forward to seeing the Lightning play KW Sunday afternoon with my 8 year old. It will be our first live NBL game as well. I understand London puts on a great show in front of a big crowd. Enjoy!

It was a fun night. I was pleasantly surprised how professional the whole operation felt. The athletes wardrobe looked NBA like. Jerseys simple look, but nice. Fan merchandise looked great, I can't wait to buy some Lions gear. Good attendance for a Thursday night (looked around 3000), crowd and game crew very lively. Nice arena too, they tarp of the top section for a more intimate feel. $6 parking at the arena (machine), $15 across the street (attendant).

I don't want to be too critical of the talent level as it was my first game, however the River Lions really struggled making shots. Many were hitting every three during warmup (I was impressed), yet game time was a different story, including some air balls. I was happy to see a good amount of dunks! Final score was 105-85 for London.

Players of note. PG Bial Benn on Niagara was noticably the fastest and quickest player on the court. For London, Anthony Criswell was player of the game and if I had to pick a Canadian, Joel Friesen of the Lightning hit some nice shots.

A pretty neat minor league, if you have a home team to go root for. Recommend to any basketball fan.

gilthethrill
01-07-2017, 03:05 PM
It was a fun night. I was pleasantly surprised how professional the whole operation felt. The athletes wardrobe looked NBA like. Jerseys simple look, but nice. Fan merchandise looked great, I can't wait to buy some Lions gear. Good attendance for a Thursday night (looked around 3000), crowd and game crew very lively. Nice arena too, they tarp of the top section for a more intimate feel. $6 parking at the arena (machine), $15 across the street (attendant).

I don't want to be too critical of the talent level as it was my first game, however the River Lions really struggled making shots. Many were hitting every three during warmup (I was impressed), yet game time was a different story, including some air balls. I was happy to see a good amount of dunks! Final score was 105-85 for London.

Players of note. PG Bial Benn on Niagara was noticably the fastest and quickest player on the court. For London, Anthony Criswell was player of the game and if I had to pick a Canadian, Joel Friesen of the Lightning hit some nice shots.

A pretty neat minor league, if you have a home team to go root for. Recommend to any basketball fan.

Criswell of the Lightning actually played DE for Saskatchewan last season, quite an athlete. I think attendance was down a couple thousand due to the Canada USA hockey game. Glad you enjoyed the game.

ArgoZ
01-29-2017, 07:40 PM
Went to my first game at the Meridian Centre in St. Catherine's. The River Lions lost 117-89 to the London Lightning, who look like the best team in the league. London and former NBA player Royce White, had a dominant performance and would be my pick as player of the game. Sammy Zeglinski had some nice shots for the Lions. The game was close until the fourth, where the River Lions fell apart. Some lack of focus, resulting in some terrible turnovers, lost the game. The arena is nice and new, court looks great, game atmosphere was really good. Over 2000 announced in attendance. I finally got some swag, (hoodie and T) but not as much selection in comparison to merchandise in London. The River Lions head to Kitchener Tuesday. Time to beat those Titans! :D

gilthethrill
01-29-2017, 08:01 PM
Went to my first game at the Meridian Centre in St. Catherine's. The River Lions lost 117-89 to the London Lightning, who look like the best team in the league. London and former NBA player Royce White, had a dominant performance and would be my pick as player of the game. Sammy Zeglinski had some nice shots for the Lions. The game was close until the fourth, where the River Lions fell apart. Some lack of focus, resulting in some terrible turnovers, lost the game. The arena is nice and new, court looks great, game atmosphere was really good. Over 2000 announced in attendance. I finally got some swag, (hoodie and T) but not as much selection in comparison to merchandise in London. The River Lions head to Kitchener Tuesday. Time to beat those Titans! :D

Good to hear that there were 2000 in St Catherine's. That arena looks really nice. London is really hitting it's stride. I still have yet to make a game, but will travel to KW in February and Orangeville in March when the Lightning are visiting. For reasons I won't get into, I have no desire to make the trip to London.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8