PDA

View Full Version : What should the top three priorities of the Argos Be in the Off-Season?

jerrym
12-26-2016, 07:55 PM
CFL.ca has listed what it thinks should be the top three priorities of every team. For the Argos they were:

1. Extend Diontae Spencer
2. Determine the front office structure and coaching staff
3. Lock up/bolster national talent

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/12/15/checking-list-3-off-season-priorities-every-team/

While I think Spencer has the potential to be a game breaker and really want to see him resigned, I would not list him as one of the team's top three priorities because the team's problems, IMO, are so deep that signing any one given player is not going to turn things around. In other words, the problems are systemic.

After watching SM run out the same old offence year-after-year, with continually diminishing returns and very few adjustments to the opponents adjustments, to say nothing of the desperation associated with firing there starting receivers and a backup (regardless of what one thinks of their talent levels) all at once, suggests there was a deep morale/discipline problem, that became even more apparent as the season wore on and more players simply mailed it in. I feel SM has to go. Barker's record for me is more mixed so I'm willing to give him one more season to see what happens.

Another priority for me is improving the lines, both OL/DL. No QB is going to succeed on an ongoing basis and is highly susceptible to injury behind what is the current Argo sieve OL. The DL could not stop the run in many games leaving the team in a dilemma between bringing up LBs and DBs to help stop the run on an ongoing basis or leaving an already vulnerable set of DBs even more vulnerable. If you cannot contain the run up the middle other teams will run the ball down your throat, even in the pass-happy CFL.

Developing a capable set of DBs who play well together because they know each others' strengths and weaknesses is also vital. While some personnel change is inevitable, the constant turnover, especially in the defensive backfield has to stop, if a cohesive unit is going to be built.

I do agree that resigning national talent and bolstering it through trades/free agency and the draft are also vital.

What all of this says to me is that this is likely going to be a rebuilding year.

Wobbler
12-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Offense, defense, and special teams. ;)

Argo57
12-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Figuring out the management and coaching situation is obviously first priority.
Upgrading the entire roster comes next.

Skinny G
12-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Speaking of priorities, has anyone heard anything about the team's quest to find a new practice/training facility? Copeland had mentioned this as something that needed to be taken care of, so was wondering if there was any news as this can potentially sway some free agents away as has happened in the past.

AngeloV
12-27-2016, 03:27 PM
Speaking of priorities, has anyone heard anything about the team's quest to find a new practice/training facility? Copeland had mentioned this as something that needed to be taken care of, so was wondering if there was any news as this can potentially sway some free agents away as has happened in the past.

Sounds like they are waiting for a joint effort with Ryerson to happen. Hopefully it is something being worked n behind the scenes and gets done sooner rather than later. This is the type of thing that does make it harder to keeping your own FA's.

Jon Gonzo
12-27-2016, 06:05 PM
The Argos are stuck in the quicksand until they affirm a direction that they can move forward with. Nothing else (effective) will happen until they (finally) decide on a direction. The rest of the teams gain advantage on a day to day basis. Therefore, to me, nothing else matters. This team/franchise must set a foundation to build on. The time is now. Correction, the time was yesterday.

ArgoZ
12-27-2016, 09:45 PM
I thought the teams facilty was good? Having a proper locker room, storage and field were all the talk when the team moved there. Light years above the portables at Erindale.

ArgoRavi
12-27-2016, 11:42 PM
The Argos are stuck in the quicksand until they affirm a direction that they can move forward with. Nothing else (effective) will happen until they (finally) decide on a direction. The rest of the teams gain advantage on a day to day basis. Therefore, to me, nothing else matters. This team/franchise must set a foundation to build on. The time is now. Correction, the time was yesterday.

Most of the other teams in the league seem to be staying status quo for next season. The guys Montreal hired were people the Argos were not likely interested in anyway. I really don't see that the Argos have disadvantaged themselves by taking their time to ensure that they make the best decisions as opposed to the quickest ones.

jerrym
12-27-2016, 11:53 PM

As of today the Argos have one free agent (ST/LB Jake Reinhart) extended, while the two best teams over the regular season in the league, not coincidentally, have six (Calgary including Charleston Hughes, Rob Maver, and Rene Paredes) and four (BC including Elimimian and Jeremiah Johnson). While this is not definitive in terms of whom you end up signing, it suggests that continuity in personnel, an ongoing record of success, and a management that knows what it wants and can quickly pursue it makes a significant difference.

http://www.cfl.ca/standings/

Jon Gonzo
12-28-2016, 12:03 AM
As of today the Argos have one free agent (ST/LB Jake Reinhart) extended, while the two best teams over the regular season in the league, not coincidentally, have six (Calgary including Charleston Hughes, Rob Maver, and Rene Paredes) and four (BC including Elimimian and Jeremiah Johnson). While this is not definitive in terms of whom you end up signing, it suggests that continuity in personnel, an ongoing record of success, and a management that knows what it wants and can quickly pursue it makes a significant difference.

Indeed, the off season is a season also and right now the Argos are in last place. A Financial Plan, a budget, a direction, the amateur draft, free agency. The good teams make it look easy. Players want to be in the program and they want to stay in the City. The bad teams?..........well, they lose.

It all starts in November, and as of now this team is late.

Ron
12-28-2016, 02:54 AM

Wait. The argos were lousy in 2016 and now you're complaining that they haven't brought enough of those players back?

jerrym
12-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Wait. The argos were lousy in 2016 and now you're complaining that they haven't brought enough of those players back?

My point was not that you try to bring everyone or even many of them back but that you decide who you feel are valuable to a rebuild and go after them early rather than let them drift away.

paulwoods13
12-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Seeing as how none of the free agents can "drift away" until mid-February, it might be a bit early to worry about this.

jerrym
12-29-2016, 01:43 AM
Seeing as how none of the free agents can "drift away" until mid-February, it might be a bit early to worry about this.

When you have a weak team and make little effort early to sign up players, some of them start wondering whether things will only get worse and start thinking about whether not only money but team quality is likely to be more attractive elsewhere. One can drift away from a team psychologically before doing it physically.

ArgoGabe22
12-29-2016, 10:07 AM
When you have a weak team and make little effort early to sign up players, some of them start wondering whether things will only get worse and start thinking about whether not only money but team quality is likely to be more attractive elsewhere. One can drift away from a team psychologically before doing it physically.

Ever since the season ended, has an informant within the team come out publicly to share insider information with some of us? It appears that many know what's going on. Has the organization closed up shop and aren't doing anything? We have no idea what the team is doing behind the scenes so why are we assuming there is little effort to re-sign players?

paulwoods13
12-29-2016, 10:08 AM
And one can choose the best situation overall, including a wide range of factors such as salary, relocation costs, etc. I simply don't believe many players "drift away psychologically" from a team under these circumstances.

REAL
12-29-2016, 10:53 AM
sure glad the Cowboys did not blow up the 2015 team that they added a few pieces to ...........

Shatto
12-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Until there is a decision on the new organizational structure and in particular who will be the GM and coach, the team will be rudderless. My guess is there will be some type of major reorganization, with a high profile individual in charge of all football operations, probably at the vice president level and a new coach. Hopefully we will see some movement soon.

Jon Gonzo
12-29-2016, 12:39 PM

And of course the successful team have been doing just this; signing integral players early for obvious reasons. And for the players; to assure their spot in a program that they desire to be part of. I view this as a solid indicator of a sports teams vitality. All sports. And speaking of sport; I think we all know, there are 'very few' excuses in sports.

PullTogether73
12-29-2016, 12:47 PM
1.Loud music during game breaks.
2.Country music halftime concerts (because everyone in an urban mega city loves country music!)
3.Expanded use of the Kiss Cam.

If none of the above are feasible, then I'm with Wobbler...

Offense, defense, and special teams. ;)

Downtownfan
12-29-2016, 02:07 PM
They should get Johnny Football's rights from Hamilton, sign him, sign Trestman as HC to give them both a new shot at football, and at the same time, do a "reality tv" show, "Johnny's Journey" which follows his "path back to football," which could be on both TSN and ESPN, and be part of his $$$ (!). Would generate crazy interest on both sides of the border. If he makes it, its good for him and the Argos; if not, and its a total disaster, well, at least we get some press!

ArgoGabe22
12-29-2016, 02:47 PM
They should get Johnny Football's rights from Hamilton, sign him, sign Trestman as HC to give them both a new shot at football, and at the same time, do a "reality tv" show, "Johnny's Journey" which follows his "path back to football," which could be on both TSN and ESPN, and be part of his $$$ (!). Would generate crazy interest on both sides of the border. If he makes it, its good for him and the Argos; if not, and its a total disaster, well, at least we get some press!

That's something Jim Popp would do. We'd have to hire him first.

doubleblue
12-29-2016, 04:52 PM

How about Rex Ryan and Johnny Football. lol

Will
12-30-2016, 11:45 AM
I know much of this is in jest, but Manziel and Rex Ryan is exactly the stuff that 1970's Argos management would pull.

Downtownfan
12-30-2016, 11:56 AM
I know much of this is in jest, but Manziel and Rex Ryan is exactly the stuff that 1970's Argos management would pull.

You are right-- they probably would do it, and wouldn't give a damn along the way. It would be similar to the Ricky Williams thing, I suppose. Manziel would be the fifth Heisman winner to suit up for the Argos. Real question: Has any team in pro football ever had four or more Heisman winners over their history?

doubleblue
12-30-2016, 12:33 PM

You're right about that. I was always one of the fans who got sucked in every year with latest and greatest Argo signings. We always won the Grey Cup in June.

But about the Rex Ryan. I don't know for sure if he was born in Toronto or if he and his brother just grew up here. His father Buddy Ryan was a former Argo assistant when the boys were young. Don't know if Rex is all that great a Coach but he would be the closest thing to Leo Cahill for making headlines.

Argo57
12-30-2016, 01:03 PM
You're right about that. I was always one of the fans who got sucked in every year with latest and greatest Argo signings. We always won the Grey Cup in June.

But about the Rex Ryan. I don't know for sure if he was born in Toronto or if he and his brother just grew up here. His father Buddy Ryan was a former Argo assistant when the boys were young. Don't know if Rex is all that great a Coach but he would be the closest thing to Leo Cahill for making headlines.

Correct, Rex Ryan speaks highly of his days in Toronto.
He grew up a huge Leafs fan (Darryl Sittler) in particular.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Sports/hockey/2011/11/05/18929791.html

ArgoRavi
12-30-2016, 03:01 PM

Buddy Ryan never worked for the Argos. Rex Ryan's mom was a professor at U of T for a time in the 1970s so that is why the Ryan children spent a few years in the city. They are not native Torontonians.

doubleblue
12-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Buddy Ryan never worked for the Argos. Rex Ryan's mom was a professor at U of T for a time in the 1970s so that is why the Ryan children spent a few years in the city. They are not native Torontonians.

Yeah you are correct. It was Chuck Dickerson (The Coach) I got mixed up with Ryan with the Argos. Google says the Ryan boys were born in Oklahoma.

Argo57
12-30-2016, 03:58 PM

Good catch Ravi, the connection is in the article I posted.

R.J
12-30-2016, 08:21 PM
Rex Ryan as President of Football Operations, General Manager and Head Coach ? Not sure, Ryan would take the pay cut. The media here would love him though - I wonder if Rogers would pay much attention to the Argos ?

BorisToronto
12-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Rex Ryan as President of Football Operations, General Manager and Head Coach ? Not sure, Ryan would take the pay cut. The media here would love him though - I wonder if Rogers would pay much attention to the Argos ?
Never been a fan of his. I personally would not want to see him involved with the Org. And if he was, I sure Rogers would spin that in the most interesting ways to benefit them.

jerrym
12-30-2016, 10:14 PM
Never been a fan of his. I personally would not want to see him involved with the Org. And if he was, I sure Rogers would spin that in the most interesting ways to benefit them.

Neither am I.

BorisToronto
12-30-2016, 10:17 PM
Neither am I.

I'm at a loss on the coaching side. Never been against Scott, but this year was brutal.

To me the priorities that the team needs to make are:
1) The offence, gotta win to make the games worth attending for the casual viewers.
2) Focus on your loyal STH fans, looks like some of that is happening or at least they say so.
3) Get more in game things going. Last game of the season had the marching band. why has that not been the case year round?

Just three quick thoughts from me.

PullTogether73
12-31-2016, 12:01 AM
I'm at a loss on the coaching side. Never been against Scott, but this year was brutal.

To me the priorities that the team needs to make are:
1) The offence, gotta win to make the games worth attending for the casual viewers.
2) Focus on your loyal STH fans, looks like some of that is happening or at least they say so.
3) Get more in game things going. Last game of the season had the marching band. why has that not been the case year round?

1)Improving just the offence is no guarantee of winning games.
3)Make some suggestions. Personally, I don't need to see any more halftime concerts at all. Also, I believe that the Argos are trying to emulate the U.S. football experience, with tailgating, etc. There are no halftime shows for most NFL games.

jerrym
01-01-2017, 11:26 PM
I was always one of the fans who got sucked in every year with latest and greatest Argo signings. We always won the Grey Cup in June.

Don't remind me. Actually, I think their biggest failing was not paying enough attention to obtaining and developing the Canadian talent.

Will
01-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Don't remind me. Actually, I think their biggest failing was not paying enough attention to obtaining and developing the Canadian talent.

The Argos brought in some decent Canadian talent like Neil Lumsden and Paul Bennett in the late 1970's only to let them go just as quickly. Paul in his book emphasizes that the Argos had to rebuild their Canadian talent in the early 1980's when they brought in guys like Pearson, Ackroyd, Carinci and Moen among others.

paulwoods13
01-02-2017, 03:30 PM
The Argos brought in some decent Canadian talent like Neil Lumsden and Paul Bennett in the late 1970's only to let them go just as quickly. Paul in his book emphasizes that the Argos had to rebuild their Canadian talent in the early 1980's when they brought in guys like Pearson, Ackroyd, Carinci and Moen among others.

Thanks for the mention. For the record, Pearson and Ackroyd both joined the Argos in the late 1970s. But starting in 1981 under Willie Wood and then Ralph Sazio, the Argos did have a massive infusion of new non-import talent including Ferrrone, Carinci, Moen, Elser, Trifaux, Antunovic, Townsend and Holmes.

Will
01-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the mention. For the record, Pearson and Ackroyd both joined the Argos in the late 1970s. But starting in 1981 under Willie Wood and then Ralph Sazio, the Argos did have a massive infusion of new non-import talent including Ferrrone, Carinci, Moen, Elser, Trifaux, Antunovic, Townsend and Holmes.

But, it is my understanding that Pearson and Ackroyd did not start to play significant roles until 1981-1982.

paulwoods13
01-02-2017, 03:40 PM
But, it is my understanding that Pearson and Ackroyd did not start to play significant roles until 1981-1982.

That's correct in terms of offence/defence. Pearson was a regular on special teams in his first three seasons. Ackroyd was on and off the roster regularly until 1981.

doubleblue
01-02-2017, 03:44 PM

I read some where Ryan signed for 5 years at 4,250,000 which would translate to 850,000 US a year. Don't know if he would be allowed to Coach somewhere else and still be able to collect anything from the Bills. The Bills would still owe him 2 and a half million.

Will
01-02-2017, 04:19 PM
I hope we aren't seriously discussing the prospect of Rex Ryan as Argonauts head coach.

Argo57
01-02-2017, 04:24 PM
I hope we aren't seriously discussing the prospect of Rex Ryan as Argonauts head coach.

Agreed the thought makes me nauseous.

RB957
01-02-2017, 05:38 PM

Ditto.

I would stop following the team if that were to happen.

Jon Gonzo
01-02-2017, 06:27 PM

And another great example of how improving can-con in the CFL leads to success. All of those Canadians helped the Argos win their first Grey Cup in like three decades.

I think Barker gets this, but has he got it?

Hindsight is 30/30 but he certainly hasn't been the games best in his tenure. He has been alright. Not exceptional.

jerrym
01-02-2017, 10:51 PM

I hope I never see his name again in the context of the Toronto Argos.

KCargosfan
01-02-2017, 11:46 PM

ditto

PullTogether73
01-03-2017, 03:22 AM
And another great example of how improving can-con in the CFL leads to success. All of those Canadians helped the Argos win their first Grey Cup in like three decades.

Hindsight is 30/30 but he certainly hasn't been the games best in his tenure. He has been alright. Not exceptional.

Hindsight is 30/30?
WTF?

Will
01-03-2017, 09:41 AM

I'm unsure that Canadian talent has been Barker's biggest failing as a GM. It is recruiting south of the border for several specific positional areas that has been more of a problem.

Jon Gonzo
01-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Haha. Sometimes in the Country we even say that 'hindsight is 30.06."

Jon Gonzo
01-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Yes agreed, although it was his initial strength.

Neely2005
01-03-2017, 12:20 PM

Agreed! How about someone who has experience with the Canadian rules?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8