PDA

View Full Version : Lawless: Argos one of the teams in on Duron Carter

1971GreyCup
12-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Oh the irony...

Gary Lawless Tweet Other @cfl #cfl teams in hunt for Duron Carter - @sskroughriders @TorontoArgos and as previously stated @MTLAlouettes

Argo57
12-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Oh the irony...

Gary Lawless Tweet Other @cfl #cfl teams in hunt for Duron Carter - @sskroughriders @TorontoArgos and as previously stated @MTLAlouettes

On a positive note the Argonauts would immediately become Rod Black's favourite team!!
Very talented reciever but a complete moron, doesn't make a lot of sense for Toronto IMO unless they trade for Cato so they can duke it out at practice in Argoland this season.

OV Argo
12-29-2016, 01:49 PM
On a positive note the Argonauts would immediately become Rod Black's favourite team!!
Very talented reciever but a complete moron, doesn't make a lot of sense for Toronto IMO unless they trade for Cato so they can duke it out at practice in Argoland this season.

NEVER under-estimate a lot of typical CFL GOB fondness and awe at being able to sign a name all-American hero; I'll have you know - Duron is the son of NFL HOFer Chris Carter.

Argo57
12-29-2016, 02:00 PM
NEVER under-estimate a lot of typical CFL GOB fondness and awe at being able to sign a name all-American hero; I'll have you know - Duron is the son of NFL HOFer Chris Carter.

LOL
It looks like Barker may be hanging around so I would love to hear his explanation if they signed him (personally don't see it happening) especially considering what happened last season.
Chris Jones can have him.

ArgoGabe22
12-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Carter might be a perfect fit for this team. You don't want boring, then sign Duron Carter. Problem solved.

OV Argo
12-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Carter might be a perfect fit for this team. You don't want boring, then sign Duron Carter. Problem solved.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing him for a TC look - see if he acts like a spoiled little me first brat and in that case just cut his @$$ or maybe he becomes a TEAM guy - BUT - ONLY at average CFL receiver wage and with the understanding he is not the #1 receiver/target but would have to accept a role as a wide-out who clears a lot but also gets some decent chances - at deep balls that play to his big-play ability or even just short first down outs. Carter is just not IMO a # 1 or 2 targeted calibre receiver for a CFL receiving corps - much prefer 2 better route running, much better hands, smart receivers at slot for that role.

Carter would believe he is a #1 top paid type CFL receiver though; and I bet there is at least a couple of CFL GMs who would think that too - maybe, but hopefully not Barker; maybe ego-Jones. Poop was dumb enough.

Argo57
12-29-2016, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to signing him for a TC look - see if he acts like a spoiled little me first brat and in that case just cut his @$$ or maybe he becomes a TEAM guy - BUT - ONLY at average CFL receiver wage and with the understanding he is not the #1 receiver/target but would have to accept a role as a wide-out who clears a lot but also gets some decent chances - at deep balls that play to his big-play ability or even just short first down outs. Carter is just not IMO a # 1 or 2 targeted calibre receiver for a CFL receiving corps - much prefer 2 better route running, much better hands, smart receivers at slot for that role.

Carter would believe he is a #1 top paid type CFL receiver though; and I bet there is at least a couple of CFL GMs who would think that too - maybe, but hopefully not Barker; maybe ego-Jones. Poop was dumb enough.

My guess is he ends up in Regina.
As I said very talented guy but unfortunately his attitude and persona are a major turnoff.

doubleblue
12-29-2016, 04:51 PM
My guess is Carter ends up in Toronto if the money is close. Best pure passer in the League to make him look good. Also easier for HOF Dad to fly into Toronto to watch his son in action.

Argo57
12-29-2016, 05:59 PM
My guess is Carter ends up in Toronto if the money is close. Best pure passer in the League to make him look good. Also easier for HOF Dad to fly into Toronto to watch his son in action.

You think Willy will make Carter look good?😛

OV Argo
12-29-2016, 06:22 PM

Wouldn't be surprised he ends up wit the Riders with ego-Jones there; however - the Riders have a couple of really good receivers in Roosevelt & Collins who IMO are probably better all around receivers than Carter; plus they have ex-Stamp Fuller after he didn't make the NFL, and another young import receiver (name escapes me now - former college ball QB who bounced around the NFL?) who really impressed me last season; and they still have vet Rob Bagg and young Demski as NI receivers. I don't see how they really need Carter. Jones might be dumb enough to sign him and for big bucks though.

Will
12-30-2016, 11:44 AM
I have removed the Carter posts out of the other thread since the two are distinct and separate in topic.

doubleblue
12-30-2016, 12:25 PM
You think Willy will make Carter look good?

HaHa Good one. I am assuming Ricky will be back.

Argo57
12-30-2016, 12:54 PM
HaHa Good one. I am assuming Ricky will be back.

At this point I hope so as well.

gilthethrill
12-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Why on earth would Chapdelaine cut Carter amidst all that controversy only to open the door for him again?

Argo57
12-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Status quo could be in effect in Toronto as Lawless also stated other teams have or are near finalizing their 2017 staffs and won't be too agreeable in allowing Copeland to talk to any of their people this late.

OV Argo
12-30-2016, 02:15 PM
Why on earth would Chapdelaine cut Carter amidst all that controversy only to open the door for him again?

Could have been Chaps who insisted on cutting Carter? - or maybe it was more Poop to send a message and save some $M$ bucks?

Not sure Chaps would have full say there now on bringing Carter back or not? - Mavis Reed and Bobby Wetandall's kid might believe Carter can help sell tickets in Montreal ?

R.J
12-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Carter is a big play type talent, which the Argos sorely need, but I'm not sure if he's worth the headache.

jerrym
12-30-2016, 10:22 PM

I agree about inviting him to TC as bad boys sometimes mature, for example - Messam. However, it happens with Carter it may take some time wandering in the wilderness and realizing he is not the centre of the universe. After all, we wouldn't want another centre of the universe in the city known as the centre of the universe. I also agree his signing with Argos is not likely because of money.

Jon Gonzo
01-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Milanovich cut three starting Americans in the receiver core this past season. All were talented, all were, shall we say....flamboyant.

Could Milanovich handle this player? Or do we continue to make the same type of mistakes?

My personal choice is to have talent, that can thrill, with a Coach that can properly direct that energy.

Assuming he is returning, could Coach Milo learn from past and succeed with Carter?

ArgoZ
01-03-2017, 10:08 PM
How about Carter and Shaw as wideouts, with Brandon Banks on the depth chart, while also returning kicks. Owens returns to rekindle his relationship with Ray and joins Spencer inside. Maybe a little undersized, but an exciting and entertaining group!

jerrym
01-03-2017, 10:30 PM
How about Carter and Shaw as wideouts, with Brandon Banks on the depth chart, while also returning kicks. Owens returns to rekindle his relationship with Ray and joins Spencer inside. Maybe a little undersized, but an exciting and entertaining group!

Sounds good but I think this dream is oversized.

AngeloV
01-04-2017, 11:03 AM

I think it's safe to say that Brian Jones will be starting this year. IMO, the reason the 3 guys were cut last year was because the Argos came to the realization after the Montreal game that they were not doing anything in 2016 and wanted to get a look at what can be done for the future.

I wonder if Da'Rick Rogers will ever report? Must be a reason they kept him on the suspended list all year rather than just releasing him.

RB957
01-04-2017, 11:15 AM
I don't think there is a downside to signing Carter. He is a legitimate deep-ball threat which the Argos surely need, and he should want to redeem himself after what happened last season. His attitude/demeanour is an issue, but if that can be controlled, he does bring a certain swagger that will create some buzz, if nothing else.

Neely2005
01-04-2017, 11:23 AM
I don't think there is a downside to signing Carter. He is a legitimate deep-ball threat which the Argos surely need, and he should want to redeem himself after what happened last season. His attitude/demeanour is an issue, but if that can be controlled, he does bring a certain swagger that will create some buzz, if nothing else.

Wouldn't his bad attitude be a downside?

OV Argo
01-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Devier Posey might be a good bet to make the receiving corps next season? - got a bit of work last last year, and similar to the so-called (and ex) big 3 - decent size + an NFL resume.

Maybe Brian Jones starts full time at slotback? - IMO he might be a good one but the jury is still out. Be nice to have a big physical receiver in the corps if it is going to feature some smurf or slight type receivers as well.

Shaw & Spencer to return? - each have flashed some good CFL talent - maybe one or both can make the progression to a top flight CFL receiver?

I believe Llevi Noel could start at WR and be very good - he has the receiver skills IMO and judging by his good ST work, will play tough, block.

Still going to be the same offence with the hybrid slot role that Durie used to be so effective at? - would Coombs just take over full-time or maybe Spencer would be dangerous there?

Probably going to be a number of new import receivers in TC and maybe a real good one emerges. (another Inman - who is established as one of the Chargers' best receivers now).

IMO - receiving corps - while a concern with letting go 4 roster players in that last season panic moves parade, is able to be fixed and improved - with guys already on the roster and maybe just one new addition?

O-line and D-backfield are the 2 other large position groups that are concerns and might be much tougher to fix/improve on?

DON'T need over-rated and likely high co$t Duron Carter, IMO.

Antwon
01-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Wouldn't his bad attitude be a downside?

Thanks you! Yes as his bad attitude and huge ego has caused him to be punted from multiple teams since college.

1971GreyCup
01-04-2017, 01:19 PM
I think it's safe to say that Brian Jones will be starting this year. IMO, the reason the 3 guys were cut last year was because the Argos came to the realization after the Montreal game that they were not doing anything in 2016 and wanted to get a look at what can be done for the future.

I am still scratching my head on why the brain trust went all in on the DW trade, then 2 weeks bailed on the season by releasing their receiving corps? You either blow the bank and go for broke, or start to play the players that you think provide the most upside in future.

I liked what I saw from Devon Wylie in his first season in the CFL although the coaches didn't play him much. When they did, he played well. I hope we don't release him. Pretty sure he'd come back to bite us, and wouldn't be surprised to see the Ticats interested especially if Brandon Banks walks.

AngeloV
01-04-2017, 01:32 PM
I am still scratching my head on why the brain trust went all in on the DW trade, then 2 weeks bailed on the season by releasing their receiving corps? You either blow the bank and go for broke, or start to play the players that you think provide the most upside in future.

I liked what I saw from Devon Wylie in his first season in the CFL although the coaches didn't play him much. When they did, he played well. I hope we don't release him. Pretty sure he'd come back to bite us, and wouldn't be surprised to see the Ticats interested especially if Brandon Banks walks.

I liked Wylie too. The only negative from him is that he seems to get into situations where he really gets hit hard. It is an art to be able to avoid some of those hits. I think the only reason they went all in on the Willy trade was due to the fact that they were hosting the Grey Cup. Absolutely a desperation move. Who knows, the first pick may turn out to be the next Jade Ettienne, and then people will have completely forgotten what the Argos gave up to get Willy. I don't see Heath who turns 30 this year having a huge long term impact in this league.

paulwoods13
01-04-2017, 03:09 PM

Clearly you don't cut four receivers, three of them starters, unless there's a good reason to do so. We will likely never know the whole story but I assume the brass decided that keeping them would be worse overall than letting them go. I imagine it was related to off-field issues of some sort. Montreal also let two starting receivers go before the season was over; again, the real reasons will likely never be known.

AngeloV
01-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Clearly you don't cut four receivers, three of them starters, unless there's a good reason to do so. We will likely never know the whole story but I assume the brass decided that keeping them would be worse overall than letting them go. I imagine it was related to off-field issues of some sort. Montreal also let two starting receivers go before the season was over; again, the real reasons will likely never be known.

Difference being, Montreal let a 1,500 yard receiver go. The Argos receivers never put up the numbers to match the hype.

1971GreyCup
01-04-2017, 04:44 PM

Both teams were in total disarray at that point in the season. Montreal has reset with Jim Popp's release. Like much of the end of last season Argos season, we are only speculating as to whether or not the Argos will have a reset, or continue as is.

RB957
01-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Thanks you! Yes as his bad attitude and huge ego has caused him to be punted from multiple teams since college.

What would it hurt to sign him and see what he does? There are many examples of professional athletes reclaiming themselves. Sure there is a risk, but what is the downside? If he acts up, you cut him.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8