PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Manziel

marcwagz
02-07-2017, 04:28 PM
I think he is either a drug addict or alcoholic (well, thats what the radio men are saying) but they also say he wants to make a come back to football.
We need publicity, we need some chance to winning football games when Ray inevitably splinters his bones after falling over onto the grass, so hey why not.

Bring this problem child in and see what happens, it can't be any worse than our current predicament.

Better yet, hire him as head coach and see how that goes.

Chas.miller
02-07-2017, 04:36 PM
lol i would actually be open to signing him. Tons of publicity. He probably wont tho because of his massive ego

R.J
02-07-2017, 05:47 PM
While I don't think we have a good starting QB on our roster, guys like Manziel and Cato aren't the answer IMO.

Rich
02-08-2017, 12:25 AM
I gotta believe Larry Tannenbaum would do anything to try and sign Johnny Football. Tannenbaum looks at what Giovinco did for TFC and he's gotta figure the Argonauts need their own equivalent. Giovinco gave TFC (and MLS) a certain legitimacy -- in the eyes of some casual fans -- that they didn't have before. He singlehandedly raised the profile of the team in this town, and as an added bonus, he delivered on the field and helped the team win a lot of games.

It's highly unlikely Johnny would be as successful on the field as Giovinco was, but you can be damn sure casual fans would be talking about the Argos again if they signed him. I think it would dovetail nicely with all the people curious about the tailgating, and honestly I think they could sell out the joint if they did it, at least for the first few games.

There's also a good football reason to go after Manziel: Cody Fajardo. Any system you built for Johnny would also be perfect for Fajardo. One of the reason teams are reluctant to go with a read/option style is that QBs get hurt too much when they carry the ball that much. But bring a coach in to commit to such a system -- and I think Tom Clements would love to work some kind of read option hybrid up here -- then you just plug in the great athletes at QB: Manziel, Fajardo, even LeFevour fits the bill but maybe they could find a rookie upgrade.

Having said all this I'd be willing to bet some NFL team is going to take a flyer on Manziel. And I'm not sure there's another possibly-available "name" QB that could stir up that kind of interest up here. Maybe they could reunite Kaepernick and Fajardo :-)?

Rich
02-10-2017, 12:59 AM
Wow, if the report is true that Chris Jones worked him out, then maybe Johnny really is in play. Maybe Tannenbaum is wining and dining him as we speak, introducing him to Drake and showing him how much good "clean" fun he could have in Toronto (answer: a lot). Maybe that's what this whole delay's about so they can announce Clements and Manziel at the same time and blow the lid off this town.

marcwagz
02-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Wow, if the report is true that Chris Jones worked him out, then maybe Johnny really is in play. Maybe Tannenbaum is wining and dining him as we speak, introducing him to Drake and showing him how much good "clean" fun he could have in Toronto (answer: a lot). Maybe that's what this whole delay's about so they can announce Clements and Manziel at the same time and blow the lid off this town.

Chris Jones is firing back now though saying he didn't because that would violate Hamilton's negotiation list.

He does seem overly sensitive about the matter though, saying he might sue...

paulwoods13
02-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Justin Dunk is doubling down, somewhat precariously IMO.

His story says: "One of the sources works in the CFL and another is close to Manziel. They independently said they had knowledge of a workout but did not want their identities divulged."

On Regina radio yesterday, he reportedly said, "I like to deal with the facts and it did happen . . . If he indeed worked out for a CFL team, which is true, . . ."

So he's stating categorically that Manziel worked out for the Sask Roughriders. The only way he could know with absolute certainty that it happened is if he was physically present for the workout. His two sources could have lied or been mistaken. It is not out of the realm of possibility that someone in the CFL who's out to get Jones made the story up, and someone close to Manziel was mistaken or in on the scam. Dunk is trying to become a journalist but he seems to have ignored fundamentals of the profession, such as not accepting everything someone tells you as gospel. You'd think in this age where political leaders spin falsehoods routinely, that would be self-evident.

AngeloV
02-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Justin Dunk is doubling down, somewhat precariously IMO.

His story says: "One of the sources works in the CFL and another is close to Manziel. They independently said they had knowledge of a workout but did not want their identities divulged."

On Regina radio yesterday, he reportedly said, "I like to deal with the facts and it did happen . . . If he indeed worked out for a CFL team, which is true, . . ."

So he's stating categorically that Manziel worked out for the Sask Roughriders. The only way he could know with absolute certainty that it happened is if he was physically present for the workout. His two sources could have lied or been mistaken. It is not out of the realm of possibility that someone in the CFL who's out to get Jones made the story up, and someone close to Manziel was mistaken or in on the scam. Dunk is trying to become a journalist but he seems to have ignored fundamentals of the profession, such as not accepting everything someone tells you as gospel. You'd think in this age where political leaders spin falsehoods routinely, that would be self-evident.

I agree totally Paul.

I for one am tired of so called reporters trying to be private I's, and looking for TMZ style stories to report on. Just tell me the basics of what I need to know, and stop trying to dig for dirt. The world's security is not at risk over these type of things.

paulwoods13
02-10-2017, 11:36 AM
I agree totally Paul.

I for one am tired of so called reporters trying to be private I's, and looking for TMZ style stories to report on. Just tell me the basics of what I need to know, and stop trying to dig for dirt. The world's security is not at risk over these type of things.

On that we disagree. Yes, the fate of the world does not hinge on whether or not Sask worked out Manziel. But rules are there for a reason, and if they are broken it is often in the public interest for that to become known. It is certainly in the interest of others who are bound by the same rules. If a CFL team breaks the rules all teams are expected to comply with, as a fan I want to know that. But if I'm one of the teams, it's not a matter of want, it's a matter of need.

mchesher03
02-10-2017, 12:10 PM
no no no

this is a guy who couldn’t take the NFL seriously, how do we think he’s going to take the cfl seriously?

I don’t get a sense that he needs the money – why does anyone really think he’s going to show up and grind? I for one see disaster – honestly I hope he figures his life out and maybe I’m dead wrong on this but I don’t think the CFL is the answer here.

AngeloV
02-10-2017, 12:29 PM
On that we disagree. Yes, the fate of the world does not hinge on whether or not Sask worked out Manziel. But rules are there for a reason, and if they are broken it is often in the public interest for that to become known. It is certainly in the interest of others who are bound by the same rules. If a CFL team breaks the rules all teams are expected to comply with, as a fan I want to know that. But if I'm one of the teams, it's not a matter of want, it's a matter of need.

I don't believe rules should be broken either, but IMO, it's not up to a glorified blogger to report it. Teams, or the league should be the ones that do the investigating on this.

paulwoods13
02-10-2017, 12:36 PM
I don't believe rules should be broken either, but IMO, it's not up to a glorified blogger to report it. Teams, or the league should be the ones that do the investigating on this.

That's like saying politicians should investigate whether other politicians are on the take. Independent reporting to hold the powerful accountable is a requirement of democracy, and the same basic principle applies to an institution like the CFL. If no one independent reports on it, rules can be broken with impunity. The league doesn't have the investigative know-how or resources to determine if teams are contravening the salary cap -- all it can go by is whatever info the teams provide voluntarily. If a team was hiding spending, the chance of it being uncovered by the league or other teams is very low. Whether Dunk is a journalist or a "glorified blogger" is a matter of opinion, but we need journalists to report on what's happening in the league, even if some of that reporting makes the league or teams uncomfortable.

AngeloV
02-10-2017, 01:38 PM
That's like saying politicians should investigate whether other politicians are on the take. Independent reporting to hold the powerful accountable is a requirement of democracy, and the same basic principle applies to an institution like the CFL. If no one independent reports on it, rules can be broken with impunity. The league doesn't have the investigative know-how or resources to determine if teams are contravening the salary cap -- all it can go by is whatever info the teams provide voluntarily. If a team was hiding spending, the chance of it being uncovered by the league or other teams is very low. Whether Dunk is a journalist or a "glorified blogger" is a matter of opinion, but we need journalists to report on what's happening in the league, even if some of that reporting makes the league or teams uncomfortable.

You are comparing serious issues here to entertainment (sports), Paul. I love the Argos and the league as much as anyone, but I personally don't care about these type of things. The only good that might come out of this? Maybe the league will decide to rid themselves of the outdated neg lists they have. All non draft eligible players should be free agents IMO, especially now that the league has a true salary cap.

Kenners
02-10-2017, 02:03 PM
no no no

this is a guy who couldn’t take the NFL seriously, how do we think he’s going to take the cfl seriously?

I don’t get a sense that he needs the money – why does anyone really think he’s going to show up and grind? I for one see disaster – honestly I hope he figures his life out and maybe I’m dead wrong on this but I don’t think the CFL is the answer here.

Personally, i think it would be GREAT for the Argos. Manziel + Drake are buddies, you want that Millennial interest? there it is. That's a 100% recipe for gold.

Why would Johnny want in? Easy, if he is reformed as he says he is, it's the EASIEST way to to get the attention of the NFL. Prove yourself, prove that you don't have an ego, that you still have skill, that you can work with a team and the NFL will come CALLING. how many players did the CFL release early to "pursue NFL opportunities" already? The NFL cherry picks our talent, they're always watching.

Johnny signs with the Argos, for 1 year for decent money (CFL terms, not his) it shows he's humbled
Johnny will get opportunity to play, Willy may not pay off and Ray is too often injured, which will get the attention of NFL big-wigs
Johnny reaches out to Drizzy, Drizzy shows up to 1 game. JUST ONE, and we'll have sold out tickets. 100% guaranteed.

The risk?
brings bad press to the Argos...but as the saying goes, no such thing as bad publicity.
we do shit in the season. we'd still sell out, for those who buy tickets in hopes to see Drake chillin' on the sidelines.
we pay too much. Willy. need i say more?
he leaves after 1 season - expected
he trashes the game/league. <- this is the worse case scenario IMO.

the rewards?
rejuvenate the Argos
recognition on the world stage
Johnny gets opportunity show his new colours
Argos get to show the beauty of our stadium
CFL gets to show our awesome game.

The biggest group who would oppose this play would be the old guard, the purists. Unfortunately, we need to reach beyond them. We need spectacle. If we want the Argos to thrive, we'd need to sacrifice what we "think" is best and open our eyes to opportunity.

I really hope someone from Argos HQ saw this. lol

paulwoods13
02-10-2017, 02:15 PM
You are comparing serious issues here to entertainment (sports), Paul. I love the Argos and the league as much as anyone, but I personally don't care about these type of things. The only good that might come out of this? Maybe the league will decide to rid themselves of the outdated neg lists they have. All non draft eligible players should be free agents IMO, especially now that the league has a true salary cap.

I would be happy to see the end of neg lists, but I stand by my belief that even "fun and games" deserve to be come under scrutiny from journalists. As someone who spends a not-insignificant amount of money on this entertainment, I want to feel confident that it is a level playing field with fair competition. I didn't like the Roughriders practising with extra/unsigned players and allowing injured-list players to practise with actives, and I'm glad it came to light and sanctions were issued. Although in that case I think the journalists covering the Roughriders dropped the ball -- the story was broken, more or less, by a Bo Levi Mitchell tweet. Anyone covering the team in Regina could and arguably should have counted bodies and noticed injured guys on the field.

AngeloV
02-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Personally, i think it would be GREAT for the Argos. Manziel + Drake are buddies, you want that Millennial interest? there it is. That's a 100% recipe for gold.

Why would Johnny want in? Easy, if he is reformed as he says he is, it's the EASIEST way to to get the attention of the NFL. Prove yourself, prove that you don't have an ego, that you still have skill, that you can work with a team and the NFL will come CALLING. how many players did the CFL release early to "pursue NFL opportunities" already? The NFL cherry picks our talent, they're always watching.

Johnny signs with the Argos, for 1 year for decent money (CFL terms, not his) it shows he's humbled
Johnny will get opportunity to play, Willy may not pay off and Ray is too often injured, which will get the attention of NFL big-wigs
Johnny reaches out to Drizzy, Drizzy shows up to 1 game. JUST ONE, and we'll have sold out tickets. 100% guaranteed.

The risk?
brings bad press to the Argos...but as the saying goes, no such thing as bad publicity.
we do shit in the season. we'd still sell out, for those who buy tickets in hopes to see Drake chillin' on the sidelines.
we pay too much. Willy. need i say more?
he leaves after 1 season - expected
he trashes the game/league. <- this is the worse case scenario IMO.

the rewards?
rejuvenate the Argos
recognition on the world stage
Johnny gets opportunity show his new colours
Argos get to show the beauty of our stadium
CFL gets to show our awesome game.

The biggest group who would oppose this play would be the old guard, the purists. Unfortunately, we need to reach beyond them. We need spectacle. If we want the Argos to thrive, we'd need to sacrifice what we "think" is best and open our eyes to opportunity.

I really hope someone from Argos HQ saw this. lol

I love the enthusiasm, but it should be noted that Ricky Williams didn't exactly help the Argos kill it at the box office. If Manziel's plan was to come up here for a year to establish that he has changed his ways, then what from an Argos perspective? They don't need one and done guys to be the face of the team. That may mean one and done with fans that are only here to see that player. They had it with guys like Chad Owens, Ricky Ray and Andre Durie.

argotom
02-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Instead of going after and signing these "projects" and with Manziel he is a head case, the team should do everything possible to trade for the stud James Franklin.
Just like last year when they gave the store for Willy who appears done, this guy looks like the next great one.
It's possible the Esks may not trade him, but somehow I doubt it as he is a FA after this year and there is no chance he will take back up money when so many teams will go after him.
Let's make the deal now.

Treblecharger1
02-10-2017, 06:00 PM
The day Ricky Williams signed we had a mad house in the office selling tickets. I worked in the office during that time period.

Now he is not a long term solution for the Argos problems, But he solves our biggest problem and that is to get people down to experience BMO Field. We need a reason for people to come and see that BMO Field is a different atmosphere for Football. During Ricky's time attendance was still above 28k a game which is a sellout at BMO Field

I think it is worth the risk :) we got nothing to loose

R.J
02-10-2017, 07:18 PM
I think Manziel would help for more tickets, at least early on, but I don't think it would be sustained. Although like the jokingly mentioned idea of Rex Ryan coming in, the media would be all over the team, and let's be honest the team really needs that right now.

IMO Baker Mayfield is another version of Manziel, but without the off field issues. Both are tailor made for the CFL IMO, and both have a lot of talent, but Manziel's off field issues without question are a concern.

Argo57
02-10-2017, 07:54 PM
I think Manziel would help for more tickets, at least early on, but I don't think it would be sustained. Although like the jokingly mentioned idea of Rex Ryan coming in, the media would be all over the team, and let's be honest the team really needs that right now.

IMO Baker Mayfield is another version of Manziel, but without the off field issues. Both are tailor made for the CFL IMO, and both have a lot of talent, but Manziel's off field issues without question are a concern.

Manziel is not worthy to wear the Double Blue.
No thanks.

argos1873
02-10-2017, 10:08 PM
My first reaction to Manziel is no. I see a cancer, that will affect an entire team. I see another fiasco. The Argos sign a big name that turns into a big joke, that actually ends up harming the team more than helping. But on the other side, I see a reborn Manziel, who has realized the bright lights are gone, who hopefully has burned through most of his money, and has learned a lesson, and a desire to actually play the sport he has the talent to play. He has talent, and a talent that is suitable to the CFL with his agility. He has a big name that could draw fairweather fans. I'm not sure I'm for it, but it sure would be interesting to watch. I'm sure, for different reasons, there were those who chuckled when Doug Flutie signed with BC, so who knows.

About neg lists, please get rid of them. They are antiquated and unnecessary due to the salary cap as someone mentioned already. They are secret but they are not and they are definitely not fan friendly, which should be the goal of the CFL, to be as fan friendly as possible. I almost wish there was some type of draft for international free agents who've never played in the CFL, but I think that wouldn't work, or maybe it would with certain rules. There must be some other way to do this besides the neg lists. Perhaps just ridding them entirely is the way to do it. But it would be nice to know that your team has the rights to a certain player, if your team actually does, instead of this para-secret neg list that's currently in place.

jerrym
02-10-2017, 11:46 PM
No thanks.

Amen.

ArgoRavi
02-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Manziel with the Argos has no chance of happening anyway unless the Ticats deal his CFL rights.

Rich
02-11-2017, 01:34 AM
Manziel with the Argos has no chance of happening anyway unless the Ticats deal his CFL rights.

Are you suggesting the Cats would prevent Manziel from signing in Toronto by refusing to deal his rights? Isn't there a gentlemen's agreement about this among the old boys? And even if there wasn't, there's no way Orridge would stand back and watch the League lose Johnny Football over a stupid neg list issue. Deals would be made, strings would be pulled, just like the Ricky Ray trade. No harm, no foul, everybody wins.

Rich
02-11-2017, 01:54 AM
I almost wish there was some type of draft for international free agents who've never played in the CFL, but I think that wouldn't work, or maybe it would with certain rules.

I love this idea. It would stir up all kinds of new interest in the CFL from fans and also from the NCAA players. Our teams could draft underclassmen and we could follow their college careers. The draft strategy would be fascinating. 10 rounds at least?

Rich
02-11-2017, 02:02 AM
They don't need one and done guys to be the face of the team. That may mean one and done with fans that are only here to see that player.

No they shouldn't do it if it is for only one year. At least two, and I'd even be hoping to squeeze three years out of the guy, he is still only 24. But even if it's only two, we'd hopefully have Fajardo still ready to run the same offence after Johnny left.

AngeloV
02-11-2017, 01:43 PM
No they shouldn't do it if it is for only one year. At least two, and I'd even be hoping to squeeze three years out of the guy, he is still only 24. But even if it's only two, we'd hopefully have Fajardo still ready to run the same offence after Johnny left.

If you can get his name on a 3 year contract, absolutely, let`s get his rights and do it.

OV Argo
02-11-2017, 10:24 PM
Manziel is obviously a pretty good QB talent - from his US college ball play anyways; but he didn't do much in some NFL opportunity, plus he seems like a head-case with party galore problems = Argos do not need an over-hyped ego-head clown competing at QB, IMO.

Much rather see them sign (probably won't be drafted) Mac QB Asher Hastings - who set the CIS single season TD passing record a couple of years back - decent size too at 6-2, 215. I realize I would be wayyyy in the minority here (a lot of CFL fans probably never heard of the guy), but IMO he would be worth a TC look - and probably proud to get a CFL shot and learn/develop; as opposed to a character like Manziel who probably figures he would get handed the Argo starting job and walk all-over CFL defences.

jerrym
02-11-2017, 10:33 PM
I agree with Rob Vanstone's view that Jones failure to allow questions about Manziel to be answered leaves lots of question marks about the situation.

The Roughriders contend that they have not done anything wrong. In a media release issued Thursday afternoon, Jones — the head coach, general manager and vice-president of football operations — said: “The Saskatchewan Roughriders have not held or attended a workout involving Johnny Manziel. With that, I will not be commenting further on the report.”
The problem is, many people are still talking about it. ...
Even after the denials, the story remained on 3DownNation.com and the Hamilton Spectator’s website.
Such decisions are not taken lightly in the reporting business. Although there are plenty of gasbags who bleat “fake news,” that fashionable claim often turns out to be, well, fake news.
The Roughriders did not resort to applying that label, but they did respond sharply to Dunk’s latest bombshell of a report. Jones told Lawless that legal action was being considered. The team’s prepared statement came later.
Unblinking amid the mention of possible litigation, neither Dunk nor 3DownNation.com editor Drew Edwards retreated from the oft-retweeted story.
Despite what media-bashers may think, such stories are not thrown around frivolously, haphazardly and/or maliciously. Reporters’ careers are on the line. A swing and a miss on a major story can be damaging to one’s credibility, a quality Dunk and Edwards possess in abundance.
While weighing both sides of this “he said, he said” story, it would be preferable to hear directly from Jones in an interview setting that allows for direct questioning and follow-ups.
A canned response unaccompanied by a face, or a voice, leaves questions unanswered. (Could this simply be a matter of semantics? How, precisely, is a “workout” defined by the team? Were any overtures of any nature made to Manziel or his people? Is there some sort of explainable misunderstanding? Was it an innocent mistake? Et cetera.)
Jones, who I consider to be a straight shooter, certainly is not averse to addressing matters head-on and in impressive fashion.
Laudably, he flew from his native Tennessee to Regina to personally address the media — and, by extension, the fans — after the rights to marquee quarterback Darian Durant were traded to the Montreal Alouettes on Jan. 13. Only after patiently and courteously fielding every inquiry did Jones head back to the airport.
It was a spectacular display of accountability.
In the latest instance, however, nary a word has been heard.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/riders-denial-of-manziel-workout-needed-a-voice

Kenners
02-11-2017, 10:40 PM
I love the enthusiasm, but it should be noted that Ricky Williams didn't exactly help the Argos kill it at the box office. If Manziel's plan was to come up here for a year to establish that he has changed his ways, then what from an Argos perspective? They don't need one and done guys to be the face of the team. That may mean one and done with fans that are only here to see that player. They had it with guys like Chad Owens, Ricky Ray and Andre Durie. I don't necessarily think we need a face for the team or want one. That's too short sighted. What we need is a circus. Interest. If 10 people come I hopes of seeing Drake and Manziel, and only 2 come back the year after that's 2 more young fans to our game.

Will it happen? Doubtful. But tbh for anyone to say no right off the bat is a lil too short sighted and elitist. I love the game and what we need for it to do well and not be an afterthought in Toronto is something big to draw interest.

After that we need to continue what we currently have, great atmosphere, great location and field, a great schedule and hopefully a winning team. All of which we can build and continue after Manziel.

All of these would, i'd argue, make Argos a big BIG draw.

My apologies for my passion, I just get a bit excited when thinking of ways to get the team we love away from this 3rd rate team bullshit.

Argo57
02-12-2017, 09:35 AM
I don't necessarily think we need a face for the team or want one. That's too short sighted. What we need is a circus. Interest. If 10 people come I hopes of seeing Drake and Manziel, and only 2 come back the year after that's 2 more young fans to our game.

Will it happen? Doubtful. But tbh for anyone to say no right off the bat is a lil too short sighted and elitist. I love the game and what we need for it to do well and not be an afterthought in Toronto is something big to draw interest.

After that we need to continue what we currently have, great atmosphere, great location and field, a great schedule and hopefully a winning team. All of which we can build and continue after Manziel.

All of these would, i'd argue, make Argos a big BIG draw.

My apologies for my passion, I just get a bit excited when thinking of ways to get the team we love away from this 3rd rate team bullshit.

Shortsighted would be bringing in a malcontent who seemingly has no self respect and even less respect for the organization he plays for.
Short term sideshow that would have zero impact on the Argonauts long term viability and in fact would smack of desperation.
How about they get the basics taken care of first, hire a GM, stabilize their coaching staff and go from there.

AngeloV
02-12-2017, 12:06 PM
I'm all for giving him a chance. The league has done it many times and been rewarded for it. As I said, I think it would look bad on the team and league if he played for a year, had success and left. Commit to a 3 year contract or no for me.

As for the Drake thing? A big no thanks for me. I can't see him being interested anyways. He doesn't strike me As the type that would partakei in a Canada only way event.

Tobythor
02-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Just for fun, I asked two friends if they would go to an Argo game if Manziel was QB and they both said yes. They're both the classic snobby Toronto football fans who mostly brush off the CFL. There's no doubt that he would garner interest and probably get us a few sell outs. The organization needs people to check out a game at BMO and if only 1 or 2 out of 10 ever come back it's still worth it at this point.

R.J
02-12-2017, 02:02 PM
No thanks.
That's essentially why I don't want to see him here. I think he has talent, but I'd rather not see him sully the Argos or CFL name with his off field antics.

https://onsidecfl.wordpress.com/2017/02/09/podcast-episode-34-with-matthew-scianitti-from-tsn/
He's not the only one that thinks this. I've heard Naylor, Landsberg, and Lawless bring it up multiple times now within the last week.

Argo57
02-12-2017, 03:03 PM
That's essentially why I don't want to see him here. I think he has talent, but I'd rather not see him sully the Argos or CFL name with his off field antics.

https://onsidecfl.wordpress.com/2017/02/09/podcast-episode-34-with-matthew-scianitti-from-tsn/
He's not the only one that thinks this. I've heard Naylor, Landsberg, and Lawless bring it up multiple times now within the last week.

Just listened to this podcast, doesn't sound like the Argo GM situation will be resolved soon.
Honesly I find their approach to be rather bizarre.

R.J
02-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Just listened to this podcast, doesn't sound like the Argo GM situation will be resolved soon.
Honesly I find their approach to be rather bizarre.
IMO it just goes to show that Copeland and TanenBELL have no clue as to what they're doing.

Argo57
02-12-2017, 03:21 PM
IMO it just goes to show that Copeland and TanenBELL have no clue as to what they're doing.

I think you are correct SnowRogue.

OV Argo
02-12-2017, 03:57 PM

Pretty much what I suspected and said when this ownership group was announced. Often the situation for pro sports teams now = the play-things of rich guys (or corporations) that are clueless clowns with anything to do with the sport they are involved in.

jerrym
02-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Often the situation for pro sports teams now = the play-things of rich guys (or corporations) that are clueless clowns with anything to do with the sport they are involved in.

It's a video that is on endless replay with the owners often expecting the community to subsidize them through paying for their expensive stadiums.

Wobbler
02-13-2017, 11:14 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bout to change my jersey # to 2...Just in case these <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/johnnyfootball?src=hash">#johnnyfootball</a> rumours are true, that boy gonna have to pay me!!! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/manziel?src=hash">#manziel</a> 🍰<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a></p>&mdash; Ricky Foley (@Foley4Real) <a href="https://twitter.com/Foley4Real/status/831318141867270145">February 14, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Stevoman
02-14-2017, 01:09 AM

If you had said at the end of the season that both Barker and Milanovich would've been gone none of us would've been too surprised. But imagine finding out back then that the Argos would not have a coach or a GM in time for free agency? We would've wondered what kind of gong show are they running?

1971GreyCup
08-31-2017, 05:08 PM
CFL on social media today, is doing a straw poll on whether the Ticats should sign Johnny football. Are they are being proactive on this issue after suffering the PR disaster they went through this week?

doubleblue
08-31-2017, 05:16 PM
CFL on social media today, is doing a straw poll on whether the Ticats should sign Johnny football. Are they are being proactive on this issue after suffering the PR disaster they went through this week?

They used to call that "testing the water". lol

Didn't Manziel get charged with hitting his then girl friend in Texas a couple of years ago?

1971GreyCup
08-31-2017, 06:16 PM
A lot of issues with this one. Terrible timing too.

R.J
09-14-2017, 05:58 AM
Manziel has activated his 10 day window (sign, trade or release within a 10 day period). I'm surprised our media isn't going gaga over the idea of Manziel landing here, Naylor's pushed it hard for the last couple of months though.

Montreal and Toronto need a QB of the future, so they're the most likely fits IMO.

AngeloV
09-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Manziel has activated his 10 day window (sign, trade or release within a 10 day period). I'm surprised our media isn't going gaga over the idea of Manziel landing here, Naylor's pushed it hard for the last couple of months though.

Montreal and Toronto need a QB of the future, so they're the most likely fits IMO.

I predict Montreal will be his destination. With the night clubs there, it will be quite the test to see if he is beyond his party days.

BroadSword
09-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Yeah Montreal seems more likely to me than Toronto does at this point and I had exactly that thought about Johnny Football and the Montreal party scene this morning. I have doubts that Popp or Trestman have much interest in him, unless both the opportunity and financial costs are quite low.

That being said it would be a hell of a comeback story if he did come up here and got his life/career back together in the process.

Does anyone think there any chance that Ottawa would have any interest, considering the situation with Trevor Harris?

Neely2005
09-14-2017, 03:26 PM
I'm thinking that he ends up in Saskatchewan.

doubleblue
09-14-2017, 04:07 PM

It would create quite a stir for a while if the Argos managed to land him. So how does this sign, trade or release in 10 days work. Suppose Hamilton gave what the
league considered a fair offer and the Manziel camp turned it down. Does he then become a free agent? Or stay on the Hamilton neg list?

AngeloV
09-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Suppose Hamilton gave what the
league considered a fair offer and the Manziel camp turned it down. Does he then become a free agent? Or stay on the Hamilton neg list?

I believe it would go to an arbitrator at that point. Perhaps even the commissioner. Personally, I think they should have to release him at that point. It's absurd to hold a player that has never been under contract back from signing. Time to abolish the stupid neg lists.

jerrym
09-14-2017, 08:47 PM
If Manziel becomes a free agent, I don't think he will pick Toronto because Marc Trestman doesn't play his backups unless he absolutely has to and Manziel has shown no patience at any time in his career.

jerrym
09-14-2017, 08:57 PM
It would create quite a stir for a while if the Argos managed to land him. So how does this sign, trade or release in 10 days work. Suppose Hamilton gave what the

Here is how it works.

If a contract offer is not received within that period, the player is removed from the neg list. If a contract offer is received but rejected, the player is removed from the list one year from the offer date.

http://3downnation.com/2017/09/13/johnny-manziel-triggers-10-day-clause-puts-ticats-clock-report/

AngeloV
09-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Here is how it works.

http://3downnation.com/2017/09/13/johnny-manziel-triggers-10-day-clause-puts-ticats-clock-report/

That's utter stupidity. Neg lists need to go away. I'd even prefer an International draft.

Wobbler
09-14-2017, 10:27 PM
The latest: The Cats got an extension to Sunday, and multiple teams (including Montreal) want to acquire his rights (http://3downnation.com/2017/09/14/ticats-granted-extension-multiple-teams-express-interest-manziel/).

jerrym
09-15-2017, 01:43 AM
Here is how it works.

If a contract offer is not received within that period, the player is removed from the neg list. If a contract offer is received but rejected, the player is removed from the list one year from the offer date.

That's utter stupidity. Neg lists need to go away. I'd even prefer an International draft.

I agree but after the Art Briles fiasco in Tiger Town do they really want to risk another fiasco with Manziel given his history that includes a domestic violence charge? If Hamilton wants to salvage something out of this, they could make a minimum salary offer to Manziel and quickly trade his rights to one of the other teams interested in him. Personally I wouldn't even do that because the Cats already have created an image problem with their fans.

The league has said Manziel would have to undergo an assessment with a domestic violence prevention official and meet with commissioner Randy Ambrosie, who’d then decide whether to approve the contract. In January 2016, Manziel was charged after being accused of hitting and threatening a former girlfriend before reaching an agreement with prosecutors to dismiss the case. ...
It’s unclear which teams are interested in Manziel but any club acquiring him would have an additional 10 days after the consummation of the deal to make him a contract offer. If an offer was made and Manziel turned it down, he’d remain on the franchise’s negotiation list for up to a year from the date of rejection. ...
A team could initially present Manziel a two-year deal – one year plus an option – for the league minimum of $53,000 annually knowing it’d be turned down. But it would be with the understanding two sides would have up to a year to work out a more suitable agreement while ensuring Manziel doesn’t step on to a CFL field with another franchise.

http://3downnation.com/2017/09/14/ticats-granted-extension-multiple-teams-express-interest-manziel/

Rich
09-15-2017, 02:12 AM
I agree but after the Art Briles fiasco in Tiger Town do they really want to risk another fiasco with Manziel given his history that includes a domestic violence charge?

A domestic violence charge doesn't look like it's gonna hurt Ezekiel Elliott's career very much. In the NFL kneeling for the anthem is considered a bigger sin than hitting a woman. Why would domestic violence charges be any less forgivable in the CFL?

Rich
09-15-2017, 02:23 AM
As I said in February, it wouldn't surprise me if Larry Tannenbaum was strongly "encouraging" Popp to sign Johnny Football. Larry knows that people love big names in this town, and I'd bet he believes that signing a big name like Manziel would put the Argonauts on the map.

But I agree with Angelo, it would only make sense if he signed a 3-year contract, this year plus a commitment for 2 more. Johnny could spend the rest of this season learning the ropes watching Ricky play and take over for the start of next season, while Tannenbaum watches ticket sales go through the roof.

AngeloV
09-15-2017, 02:28 AM
As I said in February, it wouldn't surprise me if Larry Tannenbaum was strongly "encouraging" Popp to sign Johnny Football. Larry knows that people love big names in this town, and I'd bet he believes that signing a big name like Manziel would put the Argonauts on the map.

But I agree with Angelo, it would only make sense if he signed a 3-year contract, this year plus a commitment for 2 more. Johnny could spend the rest of this season learning the ropes watching Ricky play and take over for the start of next season, while Tannenbaum watches ticket sales go through the roof.

This is where I disagree. I don't think signing Manziel would result in a major spike in ticket sales. A minor one, yes, but not a major one.

Argo57
09-15-2017, 07:30 AM
Would be a shame to go from a class act like Ricky Ray to this guy, no thanks.

Argo
09-15-2017, 09:34 AM
This is where I disagree. I don't think signing Manziel would result in a major spike in ticket sales. A minor one, yes, but not a major one.

Two questions:

Can he make the throws a QB needs to make in the CFL?
Character: is there any evidence whatsoever of quality in this fellow?

Topshelf
09-15-2017, 09:57 PM
If Argos go from Ray to Manziel it's a desperate attempt to sell tickets.
Ray is an HOF QB, he has a few seasons left, he's done nothing to be shown the door.
Manziel is worth a shot for a team needing a QB. He will create buzz, but if he succeeds and shows he's grown from his character issues, the NFL will come calling again. It'll be like Ricky Williams all over again.
That said I'd be tuning in to see how he plays out, just don't want to see him on our sideline.

Rich
09-16-2017, 12:08 AM

I was being a little facetious about the sales going through the roof, but there are good reasons to believe Manziel would spike sales a lot more than Ricky Williams did.

First, there's a bunch of casual sports fans who are curious about the Argos BMO "experience", in particular the tailgating, but casual fans don't want to buy tickets for a losing team. These people need some kind of on-field reason to buy Argos tickets, and, in the absence of a big winning season, Johnny would certainly provide that. By way of comparison, literally nobody was curious about the Argos Skydome "experience" in 2006.

Secondly, Ricky Williams was entering the last third of his career when he came here. Everybody knew what he could do on the field and what to expect. On the other hand, nobody has seen Johnny play pro very much, and there's a huge pent-up demand across the continent -- which includes Toronto -- to see more of what this guy can do on the field.

Furthermore, I would argue that Johnny Football is a more famous celebrity today than Ricky Williams was in 06. Manziel is a huge Twitter celeb, and Twitter was just getting off the ground back then.

doubleblue
09-16-2017, 10:12 AM
Ricky Williams wasn't really a good fit for the Argo offense back then. The O Line was all about pass protection and not great at run blocking. Something like they have now. The offensive coordinator at the time (Kent Austin) apparently didn't much like the idea of Ricky being brought in which eventually resulted in his dismissal.

Is this being replayed in Hamilton with Johnny Manziel?

Argo
09-16-2017, 04:18 PM
Ricky Williams wasn't really a good fit for the Argo offense back then. The O Line was all about pass protection and not great at run blocking. Something like they have now. The offensive coordinator at the time (Kent Austin) apparently didn't much like the idea of Ricky being brought in which eventually resulted in his dismissal.

Is this being replayed in Hamilton with Johnny Manziel?

Poor Ricky... running behind arguably the worst O Line in the history of football.

ArgoRavi
09-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Poor Ricky... running behind arguably the worst O Line in the history of football.

I would disagree with this. After Adam Rita replaced Kent Austin as offensive coordinator, the running game worked a lot better as the offence was somewhat more balanced.

Argo
09-16-2017, 07:51 PM
I would disagree with this. After Adam Rita replaced Kent Austin as offensive coordinator, the running game worked a lot better as the offence was somewhat more balanced.

Yes, there was also the Austin chilling effect upon the run game including, no doubt, lack of practice. IIRC, few if any Argos fans were sorry to see Austin depart.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8