PDA

View Full Version : A promising evaluation of Ray-Barnes (etc.) from the mini-camp

Wobbler
04-28-2012, 07:25 PM
This report (http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=394532) is very optimistic.

I'd like to believe that our passing game will be better this season, but the idea that we're "light years ahead" seems strange.

1argoholic
04-29-2012, 01:41 AM
From what I heard it was a great site to see and all positive. I'll take that news.

marcwagz
04-29-2012, 10:32 AM
with milanovich and ray i think even our last years core would be good, so I expect a vast improvement in our passing game.
especially if we arent going to rely on BOYD as much
I hope cory still gets a lot of runs, he could lead the league in running yards.

AngeloV
04-29-2012, 03:23 PM
with milanovich and ray i think even our last years core would be good, so I expect a vast improvement in our passing game.
especially if we arent going to rely on BOYD as much
I hope cory still gets a lot of runs, he could lead the league in running yards.

I expect Boyd to get as many if not more touches than last year. He will definitely catch the ball more than he did. Whitaker was a big part of Montreal's offence last year, and IMO, he's not near the player Boyd is.

backer@oldclarke
04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm thinking the other teams D will be under caution with Ray back there; Boyd will play a huge role in the backfield this year when he's not carrying the ball. Game #1 is at Commonwealth against my Eskies....Yikes

OV Argo
04-29-2012, 10:00 PM
I expect Boyd to get as many if not more touches than last year. He will definitely catch the ball more than he did. Whitaker was a big part of Montreal's offence last year, and IMO, he's not near the player Boyd is.

Whitaker is a very different style back than Boyd - but still a very productive CFL RB; and smaller, shifty type backs often make for better receivers out of the backfield - see some guy named Pinball.

Trying to be optomistic about a much improved Argo passing attack for this coming season - obviously Ray is a great addition and the key; but pass blocking protection and receivers are other big factors; if the Argos end up with Barnes, Mann and Owens as their big 3 receivers to start - and it's mainly because Barnes and Mann (huge hands question mark IMO) are `familiar`with Ray and also because Owens (another iffy hands type maybe) is getting a big pay day so needs to start at receiver to justify his salary - then I can envision some major problems in the receiving corps; here`s hoping to lots of real, honest TC competition there with ZERO pencilled-in favorites there (i have little faith in that scenario happening though); and I hope the Argos use a draft pick to add another receiver and give all the young guys honest looks.

KCargosfan
04-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Whitaker is a very different style back than Boyd - but still a very productive CFL RB; and smaller, shifty type backs often make for better receivers out of the backfield - see some guy named Pinball.

Trying to be optomistic about a much improved Argo passing attack for this coming season - obviously Ray is a great addition and the key; but pass blocking protection and receivers are other big factors; if the Argos end up with Barnes, Mann and Owens as their big 3 receivers to start - and it's mainly because Barnes and Mann (huge hands question mark IMO) are `familiar`with Ray and also because Owens (another iffy hands type maybe) is getting a big pay day so needs to start at receiver to justify his salary - then I can envision some major problems in the receiving corps; here`s hoping to lots of real, honest TC competition there with ZERO pencilled-in favorites there (i have little faith in that scenario happening though); and I hope the Argos use a draft pick to add another receiver and give all the young guys honest looks.

What do you think of us taking Bamba at 9?

OV Argo
04-29-2012, 11:01 PM

I'd prefer his Sherby team-mate Charbonneau-Campeau if he's still available, but either could be nice picks; and I'd take either over Chambers who seems to be the consesus # 1 receiver prospect - mostly based on measureables #s, seems to me.

Not sure if it would be best to go receiver or O-line at #9, but maybe Norman would be a good pick to compete at OG.

AngeloV
04-29-2012, 11:09 PM

I agree with that, but Colbourne also excelled in Milanovich's system and though smaller than Boyd, is IMO a similar type of north-south runner. Boyd also has excellent hands, and I think can be a more dominant receiver than Whitaker. Whitaker is great in open field, but I don't think Boyd needs that much open field to be successful. I just can't wait to see how the Argos use Boyd this year.

Wobbler
04-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Here`s hoping to lots of real, honest TC competition there with ZERO pencilled-in favorites there (i have little faith in that scenario happening though); and I hope the Argos use a draft pick to add another receiver and give all the young guys honest looks.
I'm not sure why you think this is unlikely to happen. The Argos haven't recently been reluctant to drop off-season veteran signees who disappointed (eg. PK Sam, James Robinson, O'Neil Wilson, Prechae Rodriguez). Our recent dismal passing game seems to have a lot more to do with poor recruiting/trading/drafting than making poor choices out of camp.

argolio
04-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Game #1 is at Commonwealth against my Eskies....YikesHopefully the inept Commonwealth timekeeper won't screw up this year's game.

AngeloV
04-30-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure why you think this is unlikely to happen. The Argos haven't recently been reluctant to drop off-season veteran signees who disappointed (eg. PK Sam, James Robinson, O'Neil Wilson, Prechae Rodriguez). Our recent dismal passing game seems to have a lot more to do with poor recruiting/trading/drafting than making poor choices out of camp.

I'd like to add coaching to this. An OC that was not ready for the position definitely did not help.

jerrym
05-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Great to hear Ray and Barnes are in sync again. I think a good passer like Ray could also really benefit from using Boyd as a receiver out of the backfield as he was a good receiver in college and even with the Argos despite their poor qbs in the past.

OV Argo
05-03-2012, 11:11 PM

NO - i'd rather have Quincy Hurst.

Argocister
05-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Tell us about Hurst

OV Argo
05-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Tell us about Hurst

Dont really know - hardly a star CIS player and didn't even play for the Bisons last year; judging by his dimunitive size and lack of much CIS production - maybe a mediocre version of Steven Turner - who of course never played for the Argos after they used a draft pick on him. But i hope Hurst becomes a star player for the Argos.

KCargosfan
05-03-2012, 11:53 PM

I'm guessing your being sarcastic here. I have no clue about either player, but it seems Bamba at least put up numbers.

OV Argo
05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm guessing your being sarcastic here. I have no clue about either player, but it seems Bamba at least put up numbers.

Bamba had a superb year in US college ball at North Dakota, and then came back-up here and had a good year with Sherbrooke too; guy runs a good 40 time at the CFL E-Camp with a very strong vertical jump too; however, Barker and others on the Argo staff were clearly not impressed by him; and in selecting another receiver - an unkown with little college ball stats or notreity instead (Hurst), Barker trotted out the usual CFL draft bafflegab about wanting great "athletes" - same reason they used the first pick on a back-up college ball D-Lineman in Laing (Hurst must run a 4.3 ish 40 and have a 40" vertical if he's the better pick over Bamba). And of course Wilson is a 2 sport star - might get a shot at MLB or the NFL (who both BTW pay 20 times more than the CFL can offer) - so he must be a good "athlete" too; and even though he plays a position - tight end - that is not even remotely close to being a full-time or relevant position in the CFL anymore, surely Barker would find some use for this "athlete".

I'll try to stay optimistic about the coming season, and this draft too - again, I really hope some of these picks help the Argos down the road; but i will also be interested in the progress or contributions some other players the Argos could have drafted instead yesterday - a bunch of them proven all-star college ball players with great stats and/or E-Camp mesureables - might have in the CFL - that tells a story for draft years down the road. Sorry - and i know the always positive types like Ravi will always be defending anything Argo and say wait and see on this draft - true i guess - but on the surface, the Argos draft effort yesterday, I would be tempted to label laughable, embarassing or brutal - maybe as bad as it gets for a lot of bad Argo draft history - but we'll have to wait some for some time to tell the story.

KCargosfan
05-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Bamba had a superb year in US college ball at North Dakota, and then came back-up here and had a good year with Sherbrooke too; guy runs a good 40 time at the CFL E-Camp with a very strong vertical jump too; however, Barker and others on the Argo staff were clearly not impressed by him; and in selecting another receiver - an unkown with little college ball stats or notreity instead (Hurst), Barker trotted out the usual CFL draft bafflegab about wanting great "athletes" - same reason they used the first pick on a back-up college ball D-Lineman in Laing (Hurst must run a 4.3 ish 40 and have a 40" vertical if he's the better pick over Bamba). And of course Wilson is a 2 sport star - might get a shot at MLB or the NFL (who both BTW pay 20 times more than the CFL can offer) - so he must be a good "athlete" too; and even though he plays a position - tight end - that is not even remotely close to being a full-time or relevant position in the CFL anymore, surely Barker would find some use for this "athlete".

I'll try to stay optimistic about the coming season, and this draft too - again, I really hope some of these picks help the Argos down the road; but i will also be interested in the progress or contributions some other players the Argos could have drafted instead yesterday - a bunch of them proven all-star college ball players with great stats and/or E-Camp mesureables - might have in the CFL - that tells a story for draft years down the road. Sorry - and i know the always positive types like Ravi will always be defending anything Argo and say wait and see on this draft - true i guess - but on the surface, the Argos draft effort yesterday, I would be tempted to label laughable, embarassing or brutal - maybe as bad as it gets for a lot of bad Argo draft history - but we'll have to wait some for some time to tell the story.

It seems like we could have gotten Hurst as a FA signing, so why not take Bamba in the draft? Maybe I'm being picky.

As for our first-round pick, I'm a little more optimistic. Being a Big 12 guy I'm probably biased, but if he is getting playing time at ISU this fall, he's pretty good. Assuming the NFL doesn't take him next spring, that could end up being a wise pick. Or it could be a bust and we never see him, like you said, time will tell.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8