PDA

View Full Version : Argos Town Hall - Do You Have Any Ideas?

Jamiedykstra
03-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Hi Everyone. We hope you caught the news yesterday. It was a great day for Argos Football and the start of a new era. We hope you are excited as we are.

Now that we have Jim and Marc in place, Michael Copeland wants to hold an Argos Town Hall event for fans to provide you with an opportunity to meet our new football leaders, to talk football and ask questions of them, and for us to hear your feedback on anything else that might be on your mind.

This event will be exclusive for season seat holders. We are currently planning the event. Once we have more info, we will be sure to share it with all season seat holders.

But we would also like to hear your ideas about what you might want to see at an Argos Town Hall. Keep in mind that we are also returning the Argos' Fan Day, so that event will include more player access, football activations, autographs, etc. This event is more for providing you with an opportunity to hear directly from Jim and Marc on the football side, and Michael on the business. But while we are planning the event, if you have any ideas, we want to hear them.

Post them here and I will come back and check them out.

Thanks.

Jamie Dykstra

1971GreyCup
03-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for this. Some ideas to consider:

1. Personally, I always enjoy when we can mingle with Argos & Argos Alumni (Pete Martin, Bill Symons, Jeff Johnston, Sandy Annuziatto, etc.)
2. Mike Hogan & Don Landry are part of the Argos family and we always enjoy their participation,
3. I am not sure an Argos event is complete without the on-and-only Michael "Pinball" Clemons,

We're really looking forward to this event. Thanks for arranging it.

paulwoods13
03-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Hi Jamie -- thanks very much for asking; that in itself is a very positive step. The suggestions that come immediately to mind are:

1. Q-and-A session, not just speeches and presentations. Fans will have questions about business ops as well as football ops.

2. It's an opportunity for fans to get to know each other. Do something that enables us to make new connections with our fellow fans. I don't have any brilliant ideas about that, but it feels like something creative could be done (maybe involving stadium seat allocations) that would allow everyone to make some new friends among the diehards.

I may think of other things later, but that's what popped into my head right off the bat.

Cheers,

Paul

Neely2005
03-01-2017, 02:49 PM
For us the date, time & location are the biggest logistical concerns. As to the event itself we would like the opportunity to have conversations in addition to a Q&A.

AngeloV
03-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Is there any consideration of the Argos moving training camp back into the GTA? I like Guelph, but it would be nice for the fans of the team not to have to drive an hour west to watch the team in camp.

R.J
03-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info Mr. Dykstra. As you are probably already aware, this is something we die hards have really wanted to see return.

Some ideas:
1. Hold the event at either Real Sports or some other establishment.
2. Introductions to the new GM, Head Coach, maybe even another Coach or two, along with Mr. Copeland, and a player or two would be great as well. I think that beyond the introductions we need to hear from these individuals about what the plans are, obviously not into a lot of detail, but IMO it's important that we fans are aware of what the plans are, as opposed to just being told that they do have plans for the future etc.
3. Q&A period for the fans with these individuals. Moderated by someone like Mike Hogan and/or Don Landry.
4. "Special appearance" by Pinball - I don't think I need to go any further than that lol.
5. I've thought that a paid event where most of the proceeds go the a charity and/or youth football, could be a good way to go.

I'm just happy to hear that the team/Copeland are looking into bringing this great event back. Just another opportunity for us fans to mingle with the Franchise we love.

BATKINSON001
03-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info Mr. Dykstra. As you are probably already aware, this is something we die hards have really wanted to see return.

Some ideas:
2. Introductions to the new GM, Head Coach, maybe even another Coach or two, along with Mr. Copeland, and a player or two would be great as well. I think that beyond the introductions we need to hear from these individuals about what the plans are, obviously not into a lot of detail, but IMO it's important that we fans are aware of what the plans are, as opposed to being told there they do have plans for the future etc.
3. Q&A period for the fans with these individuals. Moderated by someone like Mike Hogan and/or Don Landry.
4. "Special appearance" by Pinball - I don't think I need to go any further than that lol.
5. I've thought that a paid event where most of the proceeds go the a charity and/or youth football, could be a good way to go.

I'm just happy to hear that the team/Copeland are looking into bringing this great event back. Just another opportunity for us fans to mingle with the Franchise we love.

I like SnowRogues' suggestions. I think alot of us were thinking along the same kind of ideas.

I would like Fan Day to be held back in Toronto or come back east like you did in Oshawa in 2015 (I wasn't here for that one, was in Alberta at the time and missed that whole season), Since I do not drive, I did not go to the one in Guelph last year, if it could be held at York again perhaps or the Downsview practice field if you still have access to it.

I am in some Facebook Argos groups and I know of some season ticket holders that would probably contribute if they knew about this.

BayArgonaut
03-01-2017, 11:08 PM
in short, this is an interactive "state of the franchise" type of event?

im for it

ArgoGabe22
03-01-2017, 11:25 PM
For us the date, time & location are the biggest logistical concerns.

Isn't it for everyone? LOL

ArgoZ
03-02-2017, 12:21 AM
Some great ideas. Town Halls are not going to significantly increase ticket sales, but events like this do keep the existing base involved and likely secure from leaving, hence their importance. Real Sports would be a great venue, I'm sure Tanenbaum could get a discount being part owner and all. They currently have the most expensive chicken wings in the city, but if complimentary (one can dream) or included with a cover, it would be an awesome Argonauts party!

BATKINSON001
03-02-2017, 12:58 AM
Some great ideas. Town Halls are not going to significantly increase ticket sales, but events like this do keep the existing base involved and likely secure from leaving, hence their importance. Real Sports would be a great venue, I'm sure Tanenbaum could get a discount being part owner and all. They currently have the most expensive chicken wings in the city, but if complimentary (one can dream) or included with a cover, it would be an awesome Argonauts party!

That would be awesome.

Is second city still around? In my first few years as a sth since 2010, the town halls were held there.

1971GreyCup
03-02-2017, 06:42 AM
That would be awesome.

Is second city still around? In my first few years as a sth since 2010, the town halls were held there.

Second City is still there and they are available for corporate events. They confirmed this with me a couple of weeks ago.

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 07:19 AM

Some ideas:
2. Introductions to the new GM, Head Coach, maybe even another Coach or two, along with Mr. Copeland, and a player or two would be great as well. I think that beyond the introductions we need to hear from these individuals about what the plans are, obviously not into a lot of detail, but IMO it's important that we fans are aware of what the plans are, as opposed to just being told that they do have plans for the future etc.

I think noise could be an issue at a bar but WEGZ in Vaughan could be another good venue.

paulwoods13
03-02-2017, 07:45 AM
I think noise could be an issue at a bar but WEGZ in Vaughan could be another good venue.

Having it in one of the suburbs would make attendance difficult-to-impossible for fans living in other suburbs. The only truly "central" location (i.e. about as accessible from all directions) is downtown.

I agree re noise. If it's in a bar, there has to be a dedicated room or space for the event.

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Having it in one of the suburbs would make attendance difficult-to-impossible for fans living in other suburbs. The only truly "central" location (i.e. about as accessible from all directions) is downtown.

I agree re noise. If it's in a bar, there has to be a dedicated room or space for the event.

Downtown is not central. It's the most difficult area to drive to, which is how most people will be getting there. You seem to forget that most Argonauts season ticket holders live in the 905, not the 416. If you want central for this group that would probably be Richmond Hill or Thornhill. Vaughan is good because you have the 400, 407, Highway 7, Viva express buses and depending on when this meeting is the Subway to Vaughan City Centre.

paulwoods13
03-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Downtown is not central. It's the most difficult area to drive to, which is how most people will be getting there. You seem to forget that most Argonauts season ticket holders live in the 905, not the 416. If you want central for this group that would probably be Richmond Hill or Thornhill. Vaughan is good because you have the 400, 407, Highway 7, Viva express buses and depending on when this meeting is the Subway to Vaughan City Centre.

We've had this discussion before. The 905 is gigantic; it goes all the way from Hamilton to well past Oshawa. If Argo fans mostly live in the 905, they are in fact scattered over an area that can take two hours to traverse from one end to another -- when there is no traffic. For those who wish to drive to an event and don't live near that event, downtown is as easy to get to as any other location. In some cases it's easier. I can drive downtown easier than I can drive to Vaughan. And I have a second option to get downtown (public transit) that doesn't exist for any suburban location.

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 11:28 AM
We've had this discussion before. The 905 is gigantic; it goes all the way from Hamilton to well past Oshawa. If Argo fans mostly live in the 905, they are in fact scattered over an area that can take two hours to traverse from one end to another -- when there is no traffic. For those who wish to drive to an event and don't live near that event, downtown is as easy to get to as any other location. In some cases it's easier. I can drive downtown easier than I can drive to Vaughan. And I have a second option to get downtown (public transit) that doesn't exist for any suburban location.

Obviously I don't know where you live but hopping on the highway is an option for most.

Public transit doesn't exist for any suburban location? GO Transit, YRT, Viva, Zum...

BATKINSON001
03-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Obviously I don't know where you live but hopping on the highway is an option for most.

Public transit doesn't exist for any suburban location? GO Transit, YRT, Viva, Zum... durham transit to anywhere the go system connects with.

If its in toronto I should be able to get to it by go train and ttc...

paulwoods13
03-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Public transit doesn't exist for any suburban location? GO Transit, YRT, Viva, Zum...

My point was clearly that there is no public transit that takes you from any suburban location to any other suburban location. There is public transit that takes you from any suburban location to downtown, tho.

There is no public transit I know of that will take someone in the far west of the GTA to somewhere in the north of the GTA, unless you are suggesting a GO train from Burlington or Oakville, then a subway to Downsview, then a bus to wherever up there. Can't see anyone making a two-plus-hour journey involving maybe three separate transit systems.

I don't know what the situation is for the Osh/Whitby/Pickering region -- maybe there are buses that go straight to Vaughan/Richmond Hill? But there aren't any in the west.

This debate happens like clockwork every off-season.

Will
03-02-2017, 12:04 PM
The 905 region extends farther beyond Oshawa. I believe that the border between 905 and 613 might be the Trent-Severn Canal (at least at it's southern end along the 401), and I think the 905 wraps around onto the Niagara Peninsula. I do not know the western border of the 905 and 519 though (possibly W of Milton)?

paulwoods13
03-02-2017, 12:12 PM
The 905 region extends farther beyond Oshawa. I believe that the border between 905 and 613 might be the Trent-Severn Canal (at least at it's southern end along the 401), and I think the 905 wraps around onto the Niagara Peninsula. I do not know the western border of the 905 and 519 though (possibly W of Milton)?

Point being it's a massive space that as far as we know has fans throughout, not all clustered together in one or two of the communities. I've heard suggestions that Burlington (where I live) is Ticats country, but I see a lot of fans wearing Argo gear getting on the GO train out here. I'm sure that happens in Oshawa as well. And I'm sure many fans come from the northern communities. The one thing common to all is that you can get downtown directly by either car or transit. You can also get anywhere else directly by car, but only some parts of the regional directly by transit.

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 12:22 PM
My point was clearly that there is no public transit that takes you from any suburban location to any other suburban location. There is public transit that takes you from any suburban location to downtown, tho.

There is no public transit I know of that will take someone in the far west of the GTA to somewhere in the north of the GTA, unless you are suggesting a GO train from Burlington or Oakville, then a subway to Downsview, then a bus to wherever up there. Can't see anyone making a two-plus-hour journey involving maybe three separate transit systems.

I don't know what the situation is for the Osh/Whitby/Pickering region -- maybe there are buses that go straight to Vaughan/Richmond Hill? But there aren't any in the west.

This debate happens like clockwork every off-season.

And aside from GO there's no transit system that will take you from a 905 suburban location downtown. And even GO Trains only run during rush hours from North of the city.

You have to take another transit system and connect to the TTC or drive to the TTC and at that point you may as well just save the time and drive.

paulwoods13
03-02-2017, 01:08 PM
And aside from GO there's no transit system that will take you from a 905 suburban location downtown. And even GO Trains only run during rush hours from North of the city.

You have to take another transit system and connect to the TTC or drive to the TTC and at that point you may as well just save the time and drive.

There are GO buses in the hours when trains don't run, aren't there? That's not a great option, granted, but at least it exists. Having the event in a location where getting there without a car is impossible would push some fans out of the tent, not something the org can afford to do. I will be shocked if this TH is not somewhere downtown.

shayman
03-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Here's a map of area codes. (click to enlarge, I can never figure out how to add pictures properly here.)

Downtown Toronto really is the geographic center of 905 despite not being in 905.

OV Argo
03-02-2017, 01:54 PM
After this town hall, I'd suggest the Argos hold another similar type event that is NOT exclusively for season ticket holders (though they would be welcome of course).

Rent a large theatre / hall location that has some seating; and hold a calling Argo fans party - for long-time fans and to attract new ones hopefully. Put together a video of Argo all-time hi-lites (GC wins, etc.) and great players as the intro; then hold a similar Q & A period for fans to question the GM & HC; have some players show-up to mingle/talk/sign autographs; have Pinball and a few other all-time Argo greats attend (Moen, Masotti, invite Flutie & Dunigan); have plenty of Argo gear on hand for sale; produce an inexpensive season "guide" that shows the roster & schedule, stadium info and other pertinent information and give these out free.

Spend plenty of dough to advertise & produce this kick-off the season / new regime party, and hope you attract lots of people. Not sure if my idea is similar to what a "Fan Day" is that you are saying will return, but the event needs to be well produced & run with room for lots of people; again, not some word of mouth, small scale party for established Argo die-hards, but a serious event that will take some money & effort.

IMO - this type of event could do way more than a small gathering for die-hards / confirmed season ticket-holders; though both are good ideas and needed marketing efforts = these attempts to re-establish the Argo name/brand are vital IMO.

ArgoGabe22
03-02-2017, 02:25 PM
I vote Stratford!

For someone that lives out in the 905 and relies purely on public transit like myself, its a lot easier getting in an out of downtown than it is moving from one side of the 905 to the other. Downtown like Second City makes the most sense. I got to get to Vaughn on Friday from Mississauga. What a disaster that will be.

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 02:43 PM
There are GO buses in the hours when trains don't run, aren't there? That's not a great option, granted, but at least it exists. Having the event in a location where getting there without a car is impossible would push some fans out of the tent, not something the org can afford to do. I will be shocked if this TH is not somewhere downtown.

It depends which way you're going. If you're going against the regular rush hour travel direction then no trains and only a couple of bus trips. So if you're trying to come into the city after work from the north then GO really isn't an option. You would have to use Viva or YRT to get to the TTC.

So really no different then trying to get to Vaughan which has Highway, Viva and YRT access. (And TTC subway access in a few months)

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 02:53 PM
After this town hall, I'd suggest the Argos hold another similar type event that is NOT exclusively for season ticket holders (though they would be welcome of course).

Rent a large theatre / hall location that has some seating; and hold a calling Argo fans party - for long-time fans and to attract new ones hopefully. Put together a video of Argo all-time hi-lites (GC wins, etc.) and great players as the intro; then hold a similar Q & A period for fans to question the GM & HC; have some players show-up to mingle/talk/sign autographs; have Pinball and a few other all-time Argo greats attend (Moen, Masotti, invite Flutie & Dunigan); have plenty of Argo gear on hand for sale; produce an inexpensive season "guide" that shows the roster & schedule, stadium info and other pertinent information and give these out free.

Spend plenty of dough to advertise & produce this kick-off the season / new regime party, and hope you attract lots of people. Not sure if my idea is similar to what a "Fan Day" is that you are saying will return, but the event needs to be well produced & run with room for lots of people; again, not some word of mouth, small scale party for established Argo die-hards, but a serious event that will take some money & effort.

IMO - this type of event could do way more than a small gathering for die-hards / confirmed season ticket-holders; though both are good ideas and needed marketing efforts = these attempts to re-establish the Argo name/brand are vital IMO.

A great idea and a much better investment than spending money on TV commercials IMO.

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 02:55 PM
I vote Stratford!

For someone that lives out in the 905 and relies purely on public transit like myself, its a lot easier getting in an out of downtown than it is moving from one side of the 905 to the other. Downtown like Second City makes the most sense. I got to get to Vaughn on Friday from Mississauga. What a disaster that will be.

Some days it would be faster for me to get to Stratford than to get downtown.

Honestly I think that this is the reason that Argonauts TV Ratings are so high and Attendance is so low. A lot of Argonauts fans just can't be bothered with the hassle of getting downtown.

1971GreyCup
03-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Some days it would be faster for me to get to Stratford than to get downtown.

Honestly I think that this is the reason that Argonauts TV Ratings are so high and Attendance is so low. A lot of Argonauts fans just can't be bothered with the hassle of getting downtown.

If fans won't go to a strategic town hall meeting downtown, how can you expect them to go to 9 games a year downtown?

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 03:03 PM
If fans won't go to a strategic town hall meeting downtown, how can you expect them to go to 9 games a year downtown?

I don't expect anyone to do anything. Our low attendance and high TV ratings speak for themselves.

Will
03-02-2017, 04:21 PM
Here's a map of area codes. (click to enlarge, I can never figure out how to add pictures properly here.)

Downtown Toronto really is the geographic center of 905 despite not being in 905.

When I moved to Thornhill in 1989 (I was 2) the area code was 416 (I think) and in 1994 or something like that they brought in 905.

AngeloV
03-02-2017, 04:52 PM
It's pretty obvious to most that this town hall will take place somewhere in the 416/647. Greycup1971 brought up Second City. I didn't attend then, but I believe that is where the last one was. They also had a draft party one year at Shoeless Joe's by Scarborough Town Center. Would make no sense for a Toronto team to hold an event like this outside of Toronto.

argotom
03-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Deerhurst?

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 05:43 PM
It's pretty obvious to most that this town hall will take place somewhere in the 416/647. Greycup1971 brought up Second City. I didn't attend then, but I believe that is where the last one was. They also had a draft party one year at Shoeless Joe's by Scarborough Town Center. Would make no sense for a Toronto team to hold an event like this outside of Toronto.

So York University then?
:-)

shayman
03-02-2017, 06:16 PM
When I moved to Thornhill in 1989 (I was 2) the area code was 416 (I think) and in 1994 or something like that they brought in 905.

When area codes first began in 1947, Ontario had only two - 416 and 613. (And, interestingly, an area code with a middle digit "0" meant that the code covered an entire state or province. In 1947, Alberta was 403, BC 604 etc. And the Maritime Provinces were 902, and today, 902 is still only remaining area code that spans significant area in more than one state or province (it's currently Nova Scotia + PEI.)

519 was carved out of 416 and 613 in 1953; 705 came along in 1957, and 416 was split into 416/905 in 1995. Previously 905 had been used for direct dialing to Mexico, of all things.

Here is the original area code map from 1947 (and this site has a ton of area code trivia)
http://www.lincmad.com/map1947.html

signed,
weirdly fascinated by area codes

argonaut11xx
03-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Why not get a big RV, bring along some alumni, and current players. Do a travelling Argo's road show. Hit all the Fairs/events in May/June. Ribfests, Brooklin Spring fair, go from Belleville to Peterborough to Oakville.
Bring the Argo's to the fans.

ArgoGabe22
03-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Why not get a big RV, bring along some alumni, and current players. Do a travelling Argo's road show. Hit all the Fairs/events in May/June. Ribfests, Brooklin Spring fair, go from Belleville to Peterborough to Oakville.

Don't the Blue Jays do this? Just more across Canada, obviously. And maybe without the RV but players, alumni travelling to each city, holding camps, signings etc.

Argo57
03-02-2017, 07:23 PM

Best idea yet!

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 07:35 PM

Another good idea. It's these grass root ideas that the Argonauts should be pursuing to build the fanbase. Again, also cheaper than TV advertising.

matthew
03-02-2017, 07:44 PM
1. I'd like to see the event not downtown but perhaps something more midtown like Brickworks or Aga Kahn or Carlu.
2. Opportunity to pick up season tickets depending date of event
3. Perhaps some polling questions where the group could answer using an app on their phones.
4. A presentation on the 1, 2 & 5 year plan for the franchise.
5. An opportunity to bring friend to influence getting seasons.
6. Ability to submit inquiries read out by a moderator like Hogan or Landry ahead of the event. .
7. Any details on a team app for phone platforms.
8. News on benefit enhancements planned for STHs.
9. Streaming of event for those that can't make it with ability to post online questions.
10. Twitter feed of the event.
11.A vimeo or youtube video of event accessable post event.
12. reveal of new merch.

Will
03-02-2017, 08:47 PM
1. I'd like to see the event not downtown but perhaps something more midtown like Brickworks or Aga Kahn or Carlu.
3. Perhaps some polling questions where the group could answer using an app on their phones.
6. Ability to submit inquiries read out by a moderator like Hogan or Landry ahead of the event. .
9. Streaming of event for those that can't make it with ability to post online questions.
12. reveal of new merch.

All good suggestions

argonaut11xx
03-02-2017, 08:50 PM
12. reveal of new merch.

Great Idea's...add...
13. Bring Back T-Bone

1971GreyCup
03-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Please invite Mayor John Tory to the event. He is currently getting it in the neck for omitting the Argonauts on his Tweet today on Toronto sports franchises. A former Commissioner of the CFL an a strong supporter of the Argos and the league.

Kenners
03-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Instagram advertising. I'm sure we'll see it closer to the season. If not I'd be surprises. The audience they are targeting spend a hella lotta time on instagram. Myself included. Make it like an open house for potential fans?

quarterback13
03-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Where do the Argos play? Aren't we talking about season ticket holders? We travel to all the games downtown so it must be convenient enough to everyone. Vaughn is way the hell out of my way and I live in Durham . Would much rather travel to downtown. I can drive or take Go train.

jerrym
03-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Where do the Argos play? Aren't we talking about season ticket holders? We travel to all the games downtown so it must be convenient enough to everyone. Vaughn is way the hell out of my way and I live in Durham . Would much rather travel to downtown. I can drive or take Go train.

Welcome on board. I agree playing downtown is better for most fans.

Argo57
03-04-2017, 08:40 PM

Agreed, I think they are playing in a great location.
I travel by GO to the games from 45-60 minutes west of Toronto and have no issue doing so.

AngeloV
03-04-2017, 11:22 PM

Seems to me that only 1 member has a problem going downtown. I live north of the city and prefer the Argos being downtown. People complain the Argos are treated as they are irrelevant. Move them out of downtown, and IMO they will become just that.

matthew
03-05-2017, 06:57 AM
Working with a firm like influitive would also help. They do an amazing job keeping me engaged over my ecobee thermostat which really just hangs on my wall and simply does it's thing.

Will
03-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Seems to me that only 1 member has a problem going downtown. I live north of the city and prefer the Argos being downtown. People complain the Argos are treated as they are irrelevant. Move them out of downtown, and IMO they will become just that.

Moving them out of the downtown core, IMO, would be yielding to the snarky CFL haters in Toronto.

Neely2005
03-05-2017, 09:04 AM

Just because only one person is speaking up doesn't mean that they're the only one that has issues with it. Feedback was requested so I provided ours. Unfortunately with our work schedules we just can't get downtown on a weekday unless the event starts after 8:30 or we take a vacation day.

Still trying to figure out why it's okay to have Fan Day outside of downtown but not the Town Hall?

AngeloV
03-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Just because only one person is speaking up doesn't mean that they're the only one that has issues with it. Feedback was requested so I provided ours. Unfortunately with our work schedules we just can't get downtown on a weekday unless the event starts after 8:30 or we take a vacation day.

Still trying to figure out why it's okay to have Fan Day outside of downtown but not the Town Hall?

Problem is that you are really coming across as a huge whiner here. You are only looking at things from your own personal perspective. Regarding fan day, I'm sure if there was a good place to have it downtown, they would. It can't happen at BMO.

BATKINSON001
03-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Problem is that you are really coming across as a huge whiner here. You are only looking at things from your own personal perspective. Regarding fan day, I'm sure if there was a good place to have it downtown, they would. It can't happen at BMO. do it at downsview, they have the practice facility there.

Neely2005
03-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Problem is that you are really coming across as a huge whiner here. You are only looking at things from your own personal perspective. Regarding fan day, I'm sure if there was a good place to have it downtown, they would. It can't happen at BMO.

So they ask for feedback, I give feedback. A discussion ensues and that makes me a whiner? Who's perspective am I supposed to give? I was under the impression that they were asking each of us to give our own personal perspective. Has Fan Day ever been downtown? I certainly can't remember it being downtown.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with this Forum. Of all the numerous Forums that I participate in this one is just warped. People complain and attack Posters for offering a free Argos Jersey. People complain about quoting your own post. People say it's whining when you respond to a request for feedback. This place is just messed up.

BATKINSON001
03-05-2017, 01:58 PM
So they ask for feedback, I give feedback. A discussion ensues and that makes me a whiner? Who's perspective am I supposed to give? I was under the impression that they were asking each of us to give our own personal perspective. Has Fan Day ever been downtown? I certainly can't remember it being downtown.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with this Forum. Of all the numerous Forums that I participate in this one is just warped. People complain and attack Posters for offering a free Argos Jersey. People complain about quoting your own post. People say it's whining when you respond to a request for feedback. This place is just messed up.
I find this place to be much better than the cfl.ca forums...

Anyhow it would be much appreciated if people would keep the complaining and user bashing out of this thread...

Shatto
03-05-2017, 04:51 PM
There have been a number of cogent, well thought out posts regarding the upcoming Town Hall, especially from Matthew and SnowRogue, who have both made some excellent suggestions. Hopefully Jamie Dykstra will take at least some, if not all of their suggestions under serious consideration.

Regardless of location, a prompt announcement of date and perhaps time would be particularly helpful, as we all plan are calendars well in advance.

As for location, arguments for both downtown and suburban locations have been well presented (sometimes quite strongly) but since the overwhelming percentage of fans coming to this event, will in all likelihood be driving, it probably does make more sense to go for a suburban location with good access from major highways.

BATKINSON001
03-05-2017, 05:20 PM
There have been a number of cogent, well thought out posts regarding the upcoming Town Hall, especially from Matthew and SnowRogue, who have both made some excellent suggestions. Hopefully Jamie Dykstra will take at least some, if not all of their suggestions under serious consideration.

Regardless of location, a prompt announcement of date and perhaps time would be particularly helpful, as we all plan are calendars well in advance.

As for location, arguments for both downtown and suburban locations have been well presented (sometimes quite strongly) but since the overwhelming percentage of fans coming to this event, will in all likelihood be driving, it probably does make more sense to go for a suburban location with good access from major highways.

Anyone know if the parking lot is still beside Gretzky's and Second City? I haven't been there in 4 years. I know SC can hold a couple hundred of us, based on the times I went in 2010 and 2013.

AngeloV
03-05-2017, 05:42 PM

You gave your feedback. I had no problem with that. It's your constant desire to always get in the last word that bothers me.

And for the record it was me that you are referring to with the jersey thing. Amazing the slant that you put on things. I never had a problem with that. It was the way he slagged the Argos management in the process and finished with mentioning he buys Ti-Cats tickets anyways, and not Argos tickets. It was an obvious troll job, but he used the jersey to make it look otherwise.

wallypwd
03-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Nostalgic theme game bringing back theuniforms from 70's

Neely2005
03-05-2017, 09:42 PM
You gave your feedback. I had no problem with that. It's your constant desire to always get in the last word that bothers me.

And for the record it was me that you are referring to with the jersey thing. Amazing the slant that you put on things. I never had a problem with that. It was the way he slagged the Argos management in the process and finished with mentioning he buys Ti-Cats tickets anyways, and not Argos tickets. It was an obvious troll job, but he used the jersey to make it look otherwise.

And your constant desire to personally attack people by calling them names such as "Troll" and "Whiner" bothers me.

Yes we know in your eyes the Argonauts organization is perfect and can do no wrong and no one is ever justified in criticizing anything about the organization.

And for the record the free Jersey offer was real.

Neely2005
03-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Anyone know if the parking lot is still beside Gretzky's and Second City? I haven't been there in 4 years. I know SC can hold a couple hundred of us, based on the times I went in 2010 and 2013.

Most of those parking lots are condos now. There are still a few parking lots on Front Street near Spadina though.

matthew
03-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Thank Shatto.

Location not the most important element. Content of meeting is. I had some others but this would be a good start for now. A visit from the Larry would also be appreciated. So at least we can thank him for stepping in.

Jamiedykstra
03-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Thank you for all of the great ideas. We are currently trying to firm up the date. Once that is confirmed, we will let everyone know so you can save the date. But the ideas you shared here will be very valuable as we plan the event.

Thanks

Jamie

PullTogether73
03-08-2017, 09:16 PM
since the overwhelming percentage of fans coming to this event, will in all likelihood be driving, it probably does make more sense to go for a suburban location with good access from major highways.

On what do you base this statement?

Shatto
03-08-2017, 11:56 PM
Thank you, GreyDragon, for drawing to my attention, that statement should have been more clearly expressed as a perception and I recognize all perceptions are subjective by their very nature. However, the perception is based, on many informal interactions with fans and in particular STH's over the past decade. In general conversation, most indicated that they drove to games, even if it meant driving to some form of public transit. Recognizing that this is highly unscientific, it is still a reasonable basis for the perception.
If anyone has more objective fact based data, of the percentage of fans who drive or don't drive to games, perhaps they could provide all of us with that information.
Personal bias aside, as Matthew correctly pointed out "location is not the most important element, content of the meeting is"

Neely2005
03-09-2017, 07:02 AM
Thank you, GreyDragon, for drawing to my attention, that statement should have been more clearly expressed as a perception and I recognize all perceptions are subjective by their very nature. However, the perception is based, on many informal interactions with fans and in particular STH's over the past decade. In general conversation, most indicated that they drove to games, even if it meant driving to some form of public transit. Recognizing that this is highly unscientific, it is still a reasonable basis for the perception.
If anyone has more objective fact based data, of the percentage of fans who drive or don't drive to games, perhaps they could provide all of us with that information.
Personal bias aside, as Matthew correctly pointed out "location is not the most important element, content of the meeting is"

It lines up with the Poll results too:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?2747-Where-do-ARGOFANS-reside-(Revised-Poll)

PullTogether73
03-09-2017, 01:53 PM
It lines up with the Poll results too:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?2747-Where-do-ARGOFANS-reside-(Revised-Poll)

I hardly think a poll with 66 respondents on a fan forum is particularly indicative.

Neely2005
03-09-2017, 02:48 PM
I hardly think a poll with 66 respondents on a fan forum is particularly indicative.

Statistically they usually use a sample size of around 1000 to get a result within a margin of error of 2%. However that's when they Poll the entire country of 35+ million.

Considering that there are currently only about 3500 Argonauts season ticket holders it's at least somewhat representative.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8