PDA

View Full Version : Argos Fan Day 2017 Ideas

1971GreyCup
03-02-2017, 07:00 AM
Now that conditions are right and the future looks bright again, it's time to get on with it!

We were fortunate to host, with the Oshawa Hawkeyes, the Argos Fan Day in 2015. It was considered by many a big success. It involved a number of minor league football games being played around the event.

Tyler Puley did a great job coordinating for the Argos. Danny Webb and the Argos Equipment Team handled the local conditions in a professional manner.

We used the opportunity to retire local Oshawa Hawkeye legend Jason Pottinger's jersey. Funds were raised that went to support minor league football.

Very good media coverage. We had a local FM broadcast live.

Of course the "Pinball" attended.

The location of the playing field was adjacent to the 401 and a Go Station stop.

One idea that came from the event, was that it could be annually rotated across the GTA and each year a local team could take ownership.

I am sure some forum members attended. As we all know, the devil is in the details. I welcome constructive input in the effort to help the Argos optimize the event.

It goes without saying, that the Oshawa Hawkeyes would welcome hosting the event once again this year.

ArgoZ
03-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Now that conditions are right and the future looks bright again, it's time to get on with it!

We were fortunate to host, with the Oshawa Hawkeyes, the Argos Fan Day in 2015. It was considered by many a big success. It involved a number of minor league football games being played around the event.

Tyler Puley did a great job coordinating for the Argos. Danny Webb and the Argos Equipment Team handled the local conditions in a professional manner.

We used the opportunity to retire local Oshawa Hawkeye legend Jason Pottinger's jersey. Funds were raised that went to support minor league football.

Very good media coverage. We had a local FM broadcast live.

Of course the "Pinball" attended.

The location of the playing field was adjacent to the 401 and a Go Station stop.

One idea that came from the event, was that it could be annually rotated across the GTA and each year a local team could take ownership.

I am sure some forum members attended. As we all know, the devil is in the details. I welcome constructive input in the effort to help the Argos optimize the event.

It goes without saying, that the Oshawa Hawkeyes would welcome hosting the event once again this year.

It was the best fan day I have ever attended. Mostly due to the awesome crowd. I also enjoyed Barkers play by play and background information on the players. I felt part of the team, it was an exciting start to football season. Only negative was that because it was so far out of town (was a 2hr drive from Niagara), there wasn't much time to mingle with the players afterwards before they were rushed on the buses. Rotating the exact same event around different areas and minor teams would be a great marketing opportunity.

I wish the Argos could use these events to get their brand out there and on people. Often they are stuck selling overpriced official merchandise that most people won't pony up for.

1971GreyCup
03-02-2017, 06:02 PM
It was the best fan day I have ever attended. Mostly due to the awesome crowd. I also enjoyed Barkers play by play and background information on the players. I felt part of the team, it was an exciting start to football season. Only negative was that because it was so far out of town (was a 2hr drive from Niagara), there wasn't much time to mingle with the players afterwards before they were rushed on the buses. Rotating the exact same event around different areas and minor teams would be a great marketing opportunity.

I wish the Argos could use these events to get their brand out there and on people. Often they are stuck selling overpriced official merchandise that most people won't pony up for.

Great feedback ArgoZ. I am all for rotating the FanDay across the GTA and equalizing the benefits to all.

I also like adding time to the post-practice for a "meet and greet" with the players.

Argo57
03-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Attended the 2012 Fan Day at UTM and thoroughly enjoyed watching the practice and scrimmage.
Plenty of reasonably priced merchandise available and former Argo greats in attendance made for a great time.

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Wait so the Town Hall has to be in the 416 but Fan Day doesn't have to be in the 416? Hmmmmm....
:-)

I like the idea of having it associated to a different minor league football team but I don't think that the same minor league team should be hosting it twice. IIRC correctly Newmarket has a good minor league football program.

ArgoGabe22
03-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Wait so the Town Hall has to be in the 416 but Fan Day doesn't have to be in the 416? Hmmmmm....
:-)

I like the idea of having it associated to a different minor league football team but I don't think that the same minor league team should be hosting it twice. IIRC correctly Newmarket has a good minor league football program.

Peel (Brampton more specifically) also has a good program and has produced some of the best local talent in the area. A lot of players end up in CIS or NCAA, which then obviously leads to the CFL like Westerman, Messam, Maver, Bridge, Devon Bailey.

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Peel (Brampton more specifically) also has a good program and has produced some of the best local talent in the area. A lot of players end up in CIS or NCAA, which then obviously leads to the CFL like Westerman, Messam, Maver, Bridge, Devon Bailey.

Yeah that would be another good choice for a minor league football team to host.

The Don Bosco Eagles would be another nice choice too.

Will
03-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Allow some of the fan groups to have tables at these events to promote themselves and get to know other fans. For this there could be a Friends of the Argonauts table, A Double Blue Order table and an Argofans.com table.

Argo57
03-02-2017, 08:43 PM
If possible why not have Fan Day at BMO field, Ticats successfully hold similar events at THF.
Set up tables around the stadium for player autographs and pictures open the consession stands and merchandise kiosks for business and let the fans roam around BMO to check out various sight lines.

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 09:01 PM
If possible why not have Fan Day at BMO field, Ticats successfully hold similar events at THF.
Set up tables around the stadium for player autographs and pictures open the consession stands and merchandise kiosks for business and let the fans roam around BMO to check out various sight lines.

And ticket sales.

ArgoGabe22
03-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Hamilton had a pancake breakfast at one time for all of their season ticket holders.

AngeloV
03-02-2017, 09:23 PM

Because they have to make sure the fans don't touch the field in order to keep Giovinco from from cramping up.

Argo57
03-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Because they have to make sure the fans don't touch the field in order to keep Giovinco from from cramping up.

LOL
I almost said that as well Angelo.

Neely2005
03-02-2017, 10:27 PM

Lol.

Will
03-03-2017, 07:32 AM

Something like that I'm sure.

1971GreyCup
03-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Please include an invite Mayor John Tory to the event. He is currently getting it in the neck for omitting the Argonauts on his Tweet today on Toronto sports franchises. A former Commissioner of the CFL an a strong supporter of the Argos and the league.

AngeloV
03-03-2017, 12:19 PM
I took no offence to his tweet. I took it as a reference to teams that haven't recently won a championship.

Will
03-03-2017, 12:21 PM
I took no offence to his tweet. I took it as a reference to teams that haven't recently won a championship.

The Rock did win in 2011 I think (only a year prior to Argos' last)

AngeloV
03-03-2017, 01:25 PM
The Rock did win in 2011 I think (only a year prior to Argos' last)

True enough, but admittedly I don't follow them. Went to a game at the old Gardens, and just couldn't get into it.

paulwoods13
03-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Please include an invite Mayor John Tory to the event. He is currently getting it in the neck for omitting the Argonauts on his Tweet today on Toronto sports franchises. A former Commissioner of the CFL an a strong supporter of the Argos and the league.

A show of support from Tory would be good, indeed.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8