PDA

View Full Version : Primary Logo Change

paulwoods13
03-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Based on the toques some subscribers have received, and some chatter on social media, it is looking increasingly like the team is eliminating the "shield" logo and going with a plain white A, possibly without any hint of double blue. If this is true, I will be sad. While I'm one of those who thinks the 1978-89 boat logo is the best in team history, the current one is also very nice. The shield design, with rivets and both blue colours, is sharp and attractive IMO, whereas a simple A (without piping, if the recent images are anything to go by) is plain and unimaginative. I guess we'll find out in the days to come whether we are going to plain A as our primary logo.

Neely2005
03-07-2017, 12:10 PM
I agree. The boat logo is the best and the shield logo is second best. I'm not a big fan of the plain white A logo. Hoping that we don't lose the double blue.

Mightygoose
03-07-2017, 12:45 PM
The boat logo is still my favourite though the shield logo never really grew on me. If the plain A is like what they have in the signature collection, I'll like it just with a shade of the light blue.

Wobbler
03-07-2017, 01:10 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New branding is up at the <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos">@TorontoArgos</a> offices! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/5rpnfcXchi">pic.twitter.com/5rpnfcXchi</a></p>&mdash; Tyler Puley (@Tylerpuley) <a href="https://twitter.com/Tylerpuley/status/837722623878574081">March 3, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

PullTogether73
03-07-2017, 01:26 PM
A serious step back into the early 20th century if true.

The CFL is reverting back to an alphabet league.
A is for Argonauts.
R is for REDBLACKS.
W is for Winnipeg.
EE is for Edmonton Eskimos.

B is for boring.
U is for unimaginative.

OV Argo
03-07-2017, 01:49 PM
I'm sure this brilliant ownership team would have consulted with fans and long-time CFL participants or watchers (ex-players for example) before doing this.

I like the current shield. but IMO the Jason logo with the shield was better (though should not have been teal blue replacing the traditional light blue).

The old boat logos were great IMO - but let's not confuse the 2 or say they were equivalent - the older one with more detail was 10 or 100 x better than the subsequent more cartoonish one - IMO - old boat logo with "pull together" on top and Toronto inscribed at the bottom = best logo all-time in ALL sports (IMHO).

ArgoGabe22
03-07-2017, 02:06 PM
I have always maintained the A to just be their own brand - not official CFL suppliers like Adidas and New Era. Soccer teams in Europe make official fan wear that's not made by the big brands all the time. If official clothing by Adidas features this simplier logo, then I'm be convinced a change is coming. FWIW Copeland also brought back the boat logo at the tailgate.

argotom
03-07-2017, 02:15 PM
I agree. The boat logo is the best and the shield logo is second best. I'm not a big fan of the plain white A logo. Hoping that we don't lose the double blue.

Agree.

paulwoods13
03-07-2017, 02:16 PM
I like the current shield. but IMO the Jason logo with the shield was better (though should not have been teal blue replacing the traditional light blue).

The old boat logos were great IMO - but let's not confuse the 2 or say they were equivalent - the older one with more detail was 10 or 100 x better than the subsequent more cartoonish one - IMO - old boat logo with "pull together" on top and Toronto inscribed at the bottom = best logo all-time in ALL sports (IMHO).

It wasn't teal blue, it was slate green.

The 1960s boat logo was beautiful, but way too busy to look good on a helmet IMO. (Possibly for that reason, it was never actually on a helmet. But a simplified version appeared around 1965 -- now that one was cartoonish.)

Will
03-07-2017, 04:11 PM
I'll wait until an actual reveal is done before passing judgment on this.

BATKINSON001
03-07-2017, 04:44 PM
I believe the A is the new standalone brand by the team, since the I think they don't have the rights to use the double blue shield logo, Adidas has those rights.

paulwoods13
03-07-2017, 04:52 PM
I believe the A is the new standalone brand by the team, since the I think they don't have the rights to use the double blue shield logo, Adidas has those rights.

How could that be? The Adidas deal was league-wide. Surely the league would not have signed any deal with a supplier that cedes control of its trademarks. And why just one team affected?

BATKINSON001
03-07-2017, 05:01 PM
How could that be? The Adidas deal was league-wide. Surely the league would not have signed any deal with a supplier that cedes control of its trademarks. And why just one team affected?

Maybe adidas has an exclusivity ideal.

Argo57
03-07-2017, 06:10 PM

That would be idiotic if true.

Argo57
03-07-2017, 06:18 PM
I'm sure this brilliant ownership team would have consulted with fans and long-time CFL participants or watchers (ex-players for example) before doing this.

I'm a diehard Boat Logo guy (1976-88) version, think it it one of the best logos ever in any league.
The current shield has grown on me however the new plain A logo lacks imagination and creativity (no surprise there) and smacks of a college football team IMO.

BATKINSON001
03-07-2017, 06:19 PM
That would be idiotic if true.Yup. The team and the league have done stupid stuff before.

Argo57
03-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Yup. The team and the league have done stupid stuff before.

The tail wagging the dog I'm afraid, if true?

paulwoods13
03-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Yup. The team and the league have done stupid stuff before.

is there any actual evidence for this claim, or are you just spit-balling? And again, why would a deal with Adidas be different for one team? I'm pretty sure the league got its house in order with respect to collective ownership of trademarks in the mid-1980s.

paulwoods13
03-07-2017, 06:38 PM
The fact that Adidas and the CFL are still partners on uniforms and merchandise makes this claim completely un- (as opposed to in-) credible IMO.

Neely2005
03-07-2017, 06:49 PM
is there any actual evidence for this claim, or are you just spit-balling? And again, why would a deal with Adidas be different for one team? I'm pretty sure the league got its house in order with respect to collective ownership of trademarks in the mid-1980s.

He's spit balling. There's no way the league would sign away the rights to their intellectual property.

BATKINSON001
03-07-2017, 07:14 PM
He's spit balling. There's no way the league would sign away the rights to their intellectual property.

I probably am, but how else could you explain for their not using the normal shield logo on their non adidas merch.???

AngeloV
03-07-2017, 07:24 PM
I probably am, but how else could you explain for their not using the normal shield logo on their non adidas merch.???

Don't think it has anything to do with it. I was just looking at some items on the Argos shop. They have both A and Shield logo on items under the Mustang brand.

ArgofanIan
03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
I like the "A" because it reminds me of the 1960's uniforms... but would like to see or keep some double blue if at all possible.

I hope at some point the Argos use a third Jersey that uses the Boat logo.... it would be neat if there could be a fan input or a vote or in stadium ballot.... to pick this third jersey... I would worry a non CFL marketing person might not understand or do this correctly.... I like the "A" but wish we could also have a version of the boat logo as a third jersey.

matthew
03-07-2017, 07:58 PM
I love it. Simple and clean.

jerrym
03-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Based on the toques some subscribers have received, and some chatter on social media, it is looking increasingly like the team is eliminating the "shield" logo and going with a plain white A, possibly without any hint of double blue. If this is true, I will be sad. While I'm one of those who thinks the 1978-89 boat logo is the best in team history, the current one is also very nice. The shield design, with rivets and both blue colours, is sharp and attractive IMO, whereas a simple A (without piping, if the recent images are anything to go by) is plain and unimaginative. I guess we'll find out in the days to come whether we are going to plain A as our primary logo.

I'm surprised that they both drop the double blue colour pattern and a picture type symbol. A picture is worth a 1,000 words, so it must be worth at least 5,000 letters in terms of leaving an impression. To me the boat was both the best visual symbol and tied into the name Argonauts. The shield, while not quite as good IMO, did suggest a warrior mentality ready for a fight, which typifies a large part of what is needed to win in football.

Neely2005
03-07-2017, 10:10 PM
Don't think it has anything to do with it. I was just looking at some items on the Argos shop. They have both A and Shield logo on items under the Mustang brand.

Just an FYI the free toques did come in a Mustang bag/envelope.

Argo57
03-08-2017, 03:24 AM
I'm surprised that they both drop the double blue colour pattern and a picture type symbol. A picture is worth a 1,000 words, so it must be worth at least 5,000 letters in terms of leaving an impression. To me the boat was both the best visual symbol and tied into the name Argonauts. The shield, while not quite as good IMO, did suggest a warrior mentality ready for a fight, which typifies a large part of what is needed to win in football.

Well stated Jerry, letter logos are boring IMO.

ArgoZ
03-08-2017, 07:40 AM
I wouldn't mind the white A with dark blue background if it had blue piping. It is weird how Adidas does not use this logo and the Argonauts use it almost exclusively. The large shield logo outside the stadium looks like it's here to stay, so I would anticipate the continued use of both logos for time being.

paulwoods13
03-08-2017, 12:10 PM

If we do abandon the shield, does anyone seriously think the one on the left is more attractive than the one on the right?

R.J
03-08-2017, 05:52 PM
While I'd love to see a modern version of the boat logo, I'm not opposed to going with the A and going heavy oxford blue.

Wobbler
03-08-2017, 07:05 PM
I suggest using https://s18.postimg.org/5n75luuqt/postimagelogo.png (https://postimg.org/image/5n75luuqt/) (Link (https://postimage.io/)) for image embeds. The vbulletin attachment system is dumb, IMO.

Kenners
03-08-2017, 08:11 PM
I love it. Simple and clean. I agree 💯

I also believe it appeals to a lot more casual fans. I use my Owens plain A snapback and my cousin was a big fan. Like the Yankees cap, the more people see it the better for the team IMO

matthew
03-08-2017, 09:35 PM
I am a fan of the 60's boat logo (have the sweatshirt and shirt) but its only good for banners and letterhead. It think the way that teams are branding themselves these days is the direction of the single letter. The 70's boat, while classic, looks dated and IMHO should be a third jersey/helmet combo at best.

I happen to love the retro pics of Joe T in the single "A" helmet. Its simple and classy. The question really seems to be what part the two blues may play on the helmet. I hope they keep the jerseys.

Harpastum
03-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Hey (to all you complainers) - it's a free hat - if you don't like the plain "A" logo - don't wear it!
I can't see them dropping all the other logo versions - doesn't make good business sense...
So go online & buy the logo merchandise you do like - & at a 10% season seat holder discount don't forget.
Hahaha

ArgoGabe22
03-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Yes its free but if i'm wearing this and I want to promote my support for the Argos, no one will know if it's the Argos if its just a plain white A. It just looks like a generic brand like H&M, Gap etc. I really hope they don't go full time with just this on their clothing.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Abercrombie &amp; Fitch or <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos">@TorontoArgos</a>? No one will know you are wearing Argos clothing if it&#39;s just a plain white A <a href="https://twitter.com/CFLSara">@CFLSara</a> <a href="https://t.co/c4ZE0mEIxA">pic.twitter.com/c4ZE0mEIxA</a></p>&mdash; DoubleBlueBlog (@DoubleBlueBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoubleBlueBlog/status/840001558318309376">March 10, 2017</a></blockquote>

paulwoods13
03-09-2017, 07:59 PM
There's at least one US college (Auburn?) using similar logo. And the NFL's AFC logo is also similar.

Argo57
03-09-2017, 08:12 PM
There's at least one US college (Auburn?) using similar logo. And the NFL's AFC logo is also similar.

Yes sir, Arizona as well.
Simple varsity style letter A, pretty unique!!
Jerry summed it up nicely (post#25).

Neely2005
03-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Yes its free but if i'm wearing this and I want to promote my support for the Argos, no one will know if it's the Argos if its just a plain white A. It just looks like a generic brand like H&M, Gap etc. I really hope they don't go full time with just this on their clothing.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Abercrombie &amp; Fitch or <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos">@TorontoArgos</a>? No one will know you are wearing Argos clothing if it&#39;s just a plain white A <a href="https://twitter.com/CFLSara">@CFLSara</a> <a href="https://t.co/c4ZE0mEIxA">pic.twitter.com/c4ZE0mEIxA</a></p>&mdash; DoubleBlueBlog (@DoubleBlueBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoubleBlueBlog/status/840001558318309376">March 10, 2017</a></blockquote>

Yeah I don't think a lot of people even know that it's an Argonauts logo.

PullTogether73
03-09-2017, 10:44 PM

Yes sir, Arizona as well.
Simple varsity style letter A, pretty unique!!
Jerry summed it up nicely (post#25).

Yeah I don't think a lot of people even know that it's an Argonauts logo.

Seriously.
Actually, both the Arizona Wildcats logo and the AFC logo have more substance than the single plain, monocolour letter of the Argonauts.
And Alabama's 'A' is stylized, and has been used for decades.
A plain 'A' on a hat or sweatshirt gives no indication of any team affiliation.

Wobbler
03-09-2017, 10:50 PM
I don't care much about logo/jersey design, but I like the "A". If people in Toronto see it often enough they'll figure it out. That first part is the tricky bit...

AngeloV
03-09-2017, 10:54 PM
I don't care much about logo/jersey design, but I like the "A". If people in Toronto see it often enough they'll figure it out. That first part is the tricky bit...

My feelings exactly. Nobody goes to see the prettiest uniforms.

Shipyard
03-09-2017, 10:58 PM
i like the new A line of clothing. Looks simple and trendy. I can wear it anytime ... not just gameday. finally argos are the cutting edge of something and changing sports culture/branding.

No one wants to look like a 90s rap video anymore.

Neely2005
03-10-2017, 10:45 AM
i like the new A line of clothing. Looks simple and trendy. I can wear it anytime ... not just gameday. finally argos are the cutting edge of something and changing sports culture/branding.

No one wants to look like a 90s rap video anymore.

When did the Argonauts jerseys ever look like a 90's rap video?

Shipyard
03-10-2017, 11:10 AM
When did the Argonauts jerseys ever look like a 90's rap video?

people don't really want "Starter-esque" stock templated sports wear anymore (except on gameday)

paulwoods13
03-10-2017, 11:31 AM
people don't really want "Starter-esque" stock templated sports wear anymore (except on gameday)

I agree with that point, but don't see a connection between that feeling and simplifying the logo on apparel to the point it looks like several other interchangeable logos. I can live with the A as an alt, but I really hope the helmet has something more imaginative and colourful that emphasizes our 146-year tradition (except for a decade starting in 1995) of Oxford and Cambridge Blue.

Shipyard
03-10-2017, 03:45 PM

<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="840001558318309376" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

did you buy this here or in A&F south of the border.

I know the "A" is trademarked by the Argos. has a little R if you look at any 1990s-era gear<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

ArgoGabe22
03-10-2017, 05:45 PM
did you buy this here or in A&F south of the border.

I know the "A" is trademarked by the Argos. has a little R if you look at any 1990s-era gear<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

That was google image search. No idea.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8