PDA

View Full Version : Jovan Olafioye Argo Bound?

Jon Gonzo
03-12-2017, 12:08 PM
TSN is reporting that he's on the block and the Lions are in talks with an 'Eastern Team.'

We have discussed the O.Line and the lack of a proven left side OT. I am betting the Argos are probably that team. The Lions apparently have cap issues they have to deal with. So this would be a value trade.

He is one of the best in the league, what would it cost?

Anthony Coombs? Brian Jones?

My bet is young and Canadian.

Will
03-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Would the fact that the Lions are in cap trouble give the Argos any negotiating leverage?

OV Argo
03-12-2017, 12:27 PM
I'd offer next to nothing (like a late round draft pick) and hope genius Wally just cuts the guy in another of his - I know best to get rid of veterans and I'm cheap - moves. Argos would have 1st crack with waiver priority, no ?

Argo57
03-12-2017, 12:32 PM
I'd offer next to nothing (like a late round draft pick) and hope genius Wally just cuts the guy in another of his - I know best to get rid of veterans and I'm cheap - moves. Argos would have 1st crack with waiver priority, no ?

I agree OV, Buono is probably motivated to divest himself of Olafioye's contract so I wouldn't be offering a ton to get him.

Argo57
03-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Would the fact that the Lions are in cap trouble give the Argos any negotiating leverage?

I would think so.

Jon Gonzo
03-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Could be Montreal in there too. They may find that Jacob Ruby is not full out ready yet. Wouldn't be Ottawa. Doubtful it's the Cats. Be good to get this guy for a bargain.

Wobbler
03-12-2017, 01:04 PM
His high level of play and consistent health are certainly appealing.

ArgoGabe22
03-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Montreal could be that other team. Herb Z kept reporting how over the cap they were with Popp but nothing official ever came out.

Shatto
03-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Agree with several other of the posts. If Lions are in cap trouble they will have to get player(s) to agree to a pay cut or release one of the higher paid players. Is Olafioye up for a bonus payment? If he is, this would put the pressure on the Lions to trade him before it is due or just outright release him.
Hope they offer nothing more than a late (5 or 6) draft choice. Team still has Nationals --Smith, Campbell, Sackey, Watman, and Dyakowski and Internatioanals--Morris (7th R NFL), Washington (6th R NFL) and Wallace competing for two spots on the OL.

doubleblue
03-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Could be Montreal in there too. They may find that Jacob Ruby is not full out ready yet. Wouldn't be Ottawa. Doubtful it's the Cats. Be good to get this guy for a bargain.

Yah Montreal also came to mind as well. Hopefully Popp won't give up a starting Canadian if there is a deal. Maybe Wally wants to get another young QB to groom as Jennings may try the NFL next year. He also probably has another Import Tackle signed who he feels is good and much cheaper. But Olafioye at left tackle would certainly make Ricky Ray's safer in the pocket.

headhoncho
03-12-2017, 02:14 PM
I would take the trade but it would include as part of the deal....Willy for Lulay

Jon Gonzo
03-12-2017, 02:26 PM
I would take the trade but it would include as part of the deal....Willy for Lulay

I'd be all over that. If you have a QB like Ricky, I think you need another guy that can change the tempo (like Collaros).
That way if one tempo isn't working, you can dial it the other way.

A Hollway/Barnes kind of thing. Willy doesn't offer a different look.

jerrym
03-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Getting a OT who has been an All-Star the last six years, never missed a game in 7 seasons and still is only 29 for a team that last year had an offensive line that was largely a sieve would be one hell of a prize.

AngeloV
03-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Agree with several other of the posts. If Lions are in cap trouble they will have to get player(s) to agree to a pay cut or release one of the higher paid players. Is Olafioye up for a bonus payment? If he is, this would put the pressure on the Lions to trade him before it is due or just outright release him.
Hope they offer nothing more than a late (5 or 6) draft choice. Team still has Nationals --Smith, Campbell, Sackey, Watman, and Dyakowski and Internatioanals--Morris (7th R NFL), Washington (6th R NFL) and Wallace competing for two spots on the OL.

I'd offer Watman and a late pick for him.

Will
03-12-2017, 10:24 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BCLions?src=hash">#BCLions</a> and Montreal talking trade about OL Jovan Olafioye. Work to be done before deal done.</p>&mdash; Rick Dhaliwal (@DhaliwalSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/841029933103177728">March 12, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OV Argo
03-12-2017, 10:54 PM
I'd offer Watman and a late pick for him.

Wally might be happy to get anything; but Watman might not make their team; the Lions have several good young NI interior O-linemen ( Fabien + Vaillancourt, with Steward maybe able to kick out to OT), and there are IMO better O-line prospects up every CFL draft, including this season.

OV Argo
03-12-2017, 10:57 PM
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="841029933103177728" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wally might be able to fleece a dope like Mavis Reed easier than he could Jimmy P? <iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

Jon Gonzo
03-13-2017, 08:31 AM
Well, since OT is one of the most important positions on the football team, and knowing that this guy is a perennial All Star, one of the very best in the game, with proven durability.....

AND taking into consideration that some of the' most knowledgeable Argo fans backed the previous administration giving up a 1st Round (1st overall) pick (a 3rd Rounder next year) and a Defensive Back in an All Star season............for a back up QB in a cap squeeze.......

Based on that logic, wouldn't this player be worth something in that zone?

Help me.

AngeloV
03-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Well, since OT is one of the most important positions on the football team, and knowing that this guy is a perennial All Star, one of the very best in the game, with proven durability.....

AND taking into consideration that some of the' most knowledgeable Argo fans backed the previous administration giving up a 1st Round (1st overall) pick (a 3rd Rounder next year) and a Defensive Back in an All Star season............for a back up QB in a cap squeeze.......

Based on that logic, wouldn't this player be worth something in that zone?

Help me.

He would be, but obviously that is not available with the first pick gone, and you don't want to make a habit of trading first round picks. As far as the DB goes, we'll see if he's really as good as some think he is. I personally don't believe Heath is that good. Yes, he did make a lot of picks, but also was beat a lot. He was a target out there.

jerrym
03-15-2017, 01:09 AM
He would be, but obviously that is not available with the first pick gone, and you don't want to make a habit of trading first round picks. As far as the DB goes, we'll see if he's really as good as some think he is. I personally don't believe Heath is that good. Yes, he did make a lot of picks, but also was beat a lot. He was a target out there.

The record of teams in sports that have repeatedly traded first round picks is dismal.

R.J
03-15-2017, 06:56 AM
As far as the DB goes, we'll see if he's really as good as some think he is. I personally don't believe Heath is that good. Yes, he did make a lot of picks, but also was beat a lot. He was a target out there.
Likewise with Ansah (who plays field side corner), and yet you're a fan of his.

Jon Gonzo
03-15-2017, 10:13 AM

You don't? Why? I have only heard this notion on this little fan board from one or two bias fans; who for some reason like the Drew Willy trade, and came out and defended it in order to make a point regarding the Coaching and Management of this Team.

And frankly don't you find revisionist history a little homerific? So passe. There is no evidence to suggest this guy can't play. Only evidence that he can. So instead of tainting a performance of a guy, one of the few, who was actually doing his job here.....why not admit that your judgement was flawed in this regard instead of casting doubt on another?

TJ Heath was one of the Argos Top 3 Defensive performers last season (even after he was gone), he was an All Star, and it is widely accepted (and I have heard it from insiders) that trading him on his birthday after winning the game ball, tore this team in pieces. Coach lost his team right there.

Why would a team do that, and why would a fan back it?

AngeloV
03-15-2017, 11:22 AM
You don't? Why? I have only heard this notion on this little fan board from one or two bias fans; who for some reason like the Drew Willy trade, and came out and defended it in order to make a point regarding the Coaching and Management of this Team.

And frankly don't you find revisionist history a little homerific? So passe. There is no evidence to suggest this guy can't play. Only evidence that he can. So instead of tainting a performance of a guy, one of the few, who was actually doing his job here.....why not admit that your judgement was flawed in this regard instead of casting doubt on another?

TJ Heath was one of the Argos Top 3 Defensive performers last season (even after he was gone), he was an All Star, and it is widely accepted (and I have heard it from insiders) that trading him on his birthday after winning the game ball, tore this team in pieces. Coach lost his team right there.

Why would a team do that, and why would a fan back it?

I'm not arguing against the timing of the trade. IMO, it wouldn't have been as big a deal had the trade been done mid week, rather than minutes after a victory over the hated rivals. Interceptions can absolutely make someone look better than he is. I don't think anyone would argue that Geoff Tisdale wasn't much of a DB, and he was an INT leader year after year. Heath was beat a lot last year.

I am a fan of his, because I think he's a lot better than you think he is. I like his size as well.

paulwoods13
03-15-2017, 11:36 AM

I'm probably one of the biased fans to whom you refer. I am 99% sure I wrote comments critical of Heath's play at least twice last summer, before he was traded. Unfortunately I can't find them because the forum's archive seems to end around the date of the trade. I thought before he was traded that he was a boom-or-bust type -- make some picks and get burned in roughly equal measure. I still feel that way. Tisdale seems like a good comparison to me. Maybe he will prove me wrong by having a great season this year.

The timing of the trade and how it was handled is a different subject altogether. I'm reasonably sure it did cause problems in the room. But it's not revisionist history, for me at least, to suggest he wasn't nearly as good as he seemed in the home preseason game. I said that once or twice while he was still an Argo, and I think a few others did as well.

OV Argo
03-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Corners and D-halfs get burned all over the field in the current CFL game with all pass offence (a lot of it safe throws now) - there are IMO very few consistent DBs who cover well, plus can tackle well (+ lay big hits), plus make big plays (INTS in particular, but also knock-downs).

At least Heath showed he had a nose for the ball and could make some plays and his INT totals show that; he may have been burned in coverage plenty, but name me a D-backfielder now who does not (Pat Watkins a few seasons back, but not last year; E. Davis for the Ticats is a good one IMO) - Ansah gets burned all over the place and shows little nose for the ball; Tisdale was horrible.

Wobbler
03-15-2017, 02:50 PM
I'm probably one of the biased fans to whom you refer. I am 99% sure I wrote comments critical of Heath's play at least twice last summer, before he was traded. Unfortunately I can't find them because the forum's archive seems to end around the date of the trade.
The archive goes back several years. FWIW, you did make one pertinent post prior to the trade: this one (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?4454-Argos-release-Raymond-avoid-guaranteeing-contract&p=95340&viewfull=1#post95340).

paulwoods13
03-15-2017, 03:03 PM
The archive goes back several years. FWIW, you did make one pertinent post prior to the trade: this one (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?4454-Argos-release-Raymond-avoid-guaranteeing-contract&p=95340&viewfull=1#post95340).

Tnx, but how come I can't find any of my own posts before Sept. 9, 2016?

Wobbler
03-15-2017, 03:33 PM
I can't replicate that problem with quick search, advanced search, or advanced search with single content type (the most useful by far, IMO), and it certainly shouldn't be limited that way.

We'll look into it - thanks for letting me know.

paulwoods13
03-15-2017, 04:54 PM
I can't replicate that problem with quick search, advanced search, or advanced search with single content type (the most useful by far, IMO), and it certainly shouldn't be limited that way.

We'll look into it - thanks for letting me know.

Maybe this will be helpful? It was in "See your latest posts." Only 20 pages available to me -- maybe that is the limit?

I also tried searching the word Heath and me as user and got a single entry, an old post about my book which mentioned Jo-Jo Heath.

Wobbler
03-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Ah. Yes, everyone is capped at their 500 most recent posts when you use that mechanism.

Instead, hit "advanced search" in the upper right corner, then switch the mode to "single content type", then at the bottom change "Show results as" to "Posts". If I use keyword "Heath" and user name "paulwoods13", I get 12 hits, including at least one case where you misspelled health ;).

Argo57
03-15-2017, 06:41 PM
I'm probably one of the biased fans to whom you refer. I am 99% sure I wrote comments critical of Heath's play at least twice last summer, before he was traded. Unfortunately I can't find them because the forum's archive seems to end around the date of the trade. I thought before he was traded that he was a boom-or-bust type -- make some picks and get burned in roughly equal measure. I still feel that way. Tisdale seems like a good comparison to me. Maybe he will prove me wrong by having a great season this year.

The timing of the trade and how it was handled is a different subject altogether. I'm reasonably sure it did cause problems in the room. But it's not revisionist history, for me at least, to suggest he wasn't nearly as good as he seemed in the home preseason game. I said that once or twice while he was still an Argo, and I think a few others did as well.

Agree in regards to the timing of the trade, Heath at least showed a nose for the ball which automatically put him ahead of the other Argo DB's.

Argo57
03-15-2017, 06:42 PM

I've never been impressed with Ansah TBH.

jerrym
03-16-2017, 10:11 PM
As Scott Mitchell notes the Argos have ten OL with the signing of Deane, so they should be able to make a trade involving at least one to get Olafioye if it doesn't weaken the line elsewhere.

Speaking of the Boatmen, there’s no such thing as having too many quality Canadian offensive linemen, but there is such a thing as being able to smartly deal from a position of strength.
That may be what new Toronto Argonauts GM Jim Popp is thinking after signing the last remaining national starting option on the market in 30-year-old guard J’Michael Deane, who has spent the first six years of his career with the Calgary Stampeders and Ottawa RedBlacks, winning a Grey Cup last November.
That leaves the Argos with projected Canadian starters at left guard (Tyler Holmes), centre (Sean McEwen), right guard (Corey Watman) and right tackle (Chris Van Zeyl).
Add in veteran guards Peter Dyakowski and Wayne Smith, Deane, and 2016 draft picks D.J. Sackey (13th overall), Jamal Campbell (22nd overall) and Chris Kolankowski (49th overall) and you have 10 Canadian options on the roster.
Of course, Popp has never hid his affinity for starting five Canadians up front, but finding one capable of playing left tackle isn’t easy.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/15/ex-ticat-sinkfield-trying-out-on-defence-to-stay-in-nfl

jerrym
03-16-2017, 10:24 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Further to my report re possible Olafioye trade, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BCLions?src=hash">#BCLions</a> in talks with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Als?src=hash">#Als</a>. Next step is if Mtl can negotiate extension w/ Jovan at less $</p>&mdash; Farhan Lalji (@FarhanLaljiTSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/842164994355544064">March 16, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

paulwoods13
03-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Tnx, I'll try that.

Wobbler
03-26-2017, 03:03 AM
The deal has happened. The Als have acquired Olafioye in exchange for the rights to Foucault (http://www.tsn.ca/als-get-all-star-ol-olafioye-from-lions-1.706414). Foucault was highly regarded in his draft year and seems to have exhausted his NFL options without suffering any significant injuries. Good trade for both teams, I'd say.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8