PDA

View Full Version : Argos hosting West Coast Identification Camp in Langley BC on May 12th/13th

1argoholic
05-01-2012, 12:34 AM
First I've heard of this. Our friends were going to see Ron James with us on the 12th but might have to cancel because their son Mitch has been invited. Strange thing is that it's for Jr and University players and Mitch is only 14. They had to apply so this is interesting.

I thought Wally and his Lions had territorial rights to the area or something like that. I'm sure someone else with Jr ball experience could answer that better. I've never been sure how the Jr territorial rights works.
I'm not sure how Mitch got invited to be honest.

I just saw on local news that the Lions had a free agent camp with many BC Jr league guys. It stated that the Lions have territorial rights to BC Jr players. So if another team has any interest in a BC Jr player how does that work? Help me out here folks!! I know some of you played Jr ball and or coached it.

Invader
05-01-2012, 05:45 PM
According to Duane Forde: CJFL (Canadian Junior Football League) players are not eligible to be drafted unless they have previously appeared on a university or college roster, in which case they become eligible four years after first appearing on that roster. Otherwise, CJFL players can join the closest (geographically) CFL team as "domiciled juniors" or may sign with any team as free agents once their CJFL eligibility has expired.

CJFL players are ineligible to play in the calender year they turn 23, then he's a free agent and can sign with any team. At 22 or younger and he is "domiciled" with the nearest CFL team. The Lions have a big advantage with 8 Jr. teams in B.C. (which recruit players from across Canada), while most other CFL teams only have 1 or 2 Jr. teams in their vicinity. I believe Jr. Football is bigger in western Canada, so that is perhaps why the Argos are checking out the talent in B.C.

1argoholic
05-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I can't understand why our friends 14 year old has been invited. He plays locally in Duncan for the Cowichan Bulldogs. I think he's a midget this fall.

I found out more. It's some thing through the CFL and it just happens that this is through TO. It's to basically scout young talent for Jr ball as well as University. This grass roots stuff needs to be here for a strong future for the CFL.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8