PDA

View Full Version : Van Zeyl Plays...Hockey?

Jamiedykstra
03-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to share a cool story I enjoyed reading on The Athletic about Chris Van Zeyl's off-season training. I thought you might enjoy it as well.

https://theathletic.com/46060/2017/03/22/using-hockey-to-help-with-football-toronto-argonauts-veteran-embraces-winter-workout/

AngeloV
03-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Any chance of him skating with Brad Marchand and "accidentally" breaking that big nose of his?

:D

Bleeds Double Blue
03-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Trying to angle off a 312-pound bullet train would not be my first choice pick up hockey or not. I also seem to recall that former Alouette Hall of Famer Glen Weir once played in the ECHL. If I'm correct that's not bad for a guy that can't remember where he left his keys.

gilthethrill
03-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Any chance of him skating with Brad Marchand and "accidentally" breaking that big nose of his?

:D

Is there really any need for such violence AV?

AngeloV
03-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Is there really any need for such violence AV?

In this case, yes.

OV Argo
03-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Trying to angle off a 312-pound bullet train would not be my first choice pick up hockey or not. I also seem to recall that former Alouette Hall of Famer Glen Weir once played in the ECHL. If I'm correct that's not bad for a guy that can't remember where he left his keys.

Former Argo D-Lineman Glenn Kulka played a little bit of minor pro hockey (might have even been in that ECHL too ?); he also had a few pro MMA fights.

paulwoods13
03-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Great piece. The Athletic is developing into a go-to (maybe soon to become THE go-to) source for Toronto sports coverage. Some very credible reporters and writers there, while the print media keep shedding jobs in the face of horrendous financial pressures. The Athletic is light on CFL coverage at the moment, but if enough of us sign up for it and let them know we want CFL/Argos coverage, I bet they will listen.

For the record, I am a subscriber. Good journalism is worth paying for, and subscribing was one small way for me to demonstrate that.

gilthethrill
03-22-2017, 06:17 PM
Former Argo D-Lineman Glenn Kulka played a little bit of minor pro hockey (might have even been in that ECHL too ?); he also had a few pro MMA fights.

He was also a pro wrestler in the WWF.

Shipyard
03-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Holy shit ... a 6'6 300 pound defenseman. And I've played against some big players ... probably break every bone in my body if he wanted too.

ArgoZ
03-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to share a cool story I enjoyed reading on The Athletic about Chris Van Zeyl's off-season training. I thought you might enjoy it as well.

https://theathletic.com/46060/2017/03/22/using-hockey-to-help-with-football-toronto-argonauts-veteran-embraces-winter-workout/

I spent many nights in my 20's playing shinny hockey in Wainfleet. Mostly Sunday nights, but good to see the tradition still continues to this day.

Bleeds Double Blue
03-23-2017, 02:12 AM
Maybe Kulka was the guy I was thinking of. Thanks OV.

argos1873
03-24-2017, 07:03 PM

Correct you are. He played 9 games for the Hampton Road Admirals in 93-94

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=10918

AngeloV
03-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Correct you are. He played 9 games for the Hampton Road Admirals in 93-94

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=10918

To no surprise, coached by John Brophy. He sure loved his goons. That team had 11 players with over 100 PIM's.

His playing weight back then was 210. How much did he juice when he turned to football?

argos1873
03-24-2017, 09:40 PM
To no surprise, coached by John Brophy. He sure loved his goons. That team had 11 players with over 100 PIM's.

His playing weight back then was 210. How much did he juice when he turned to football?

Wow good old Broph....well his "pro hockey" career was after his pro football career. The playing weight they have on file at hockeydb might be from his junior WHL career.

OV Argo
03-25-2017, 10:59 AM
Wow good old Broph....well his "pro hockey" career was after his pro football career. The playing weight they have on file at hockeydb might be from his junior WHL career.

Has to be his Junior days weight; no way he wayed (;o)) that much when he played in the ECHL after his football days - but in his earliest football days, he was never big by D-line standards anyways - probably played at around 245 range in his best CFL days (with the Argos) ?

Downtownfan
03-25-2017, 11:18 AM
Great piece. The Athletic is developing into a go-to (maybe soon to become THE go-to) source for Toronto sports coverage. Some very credible reporters and writers there, while the print media keep shedding jobs in the face of horrendous financial pressures. The Athletic is light on CFL coverage at the moment, but if enough of us sign up for it and let them know we want CFL/Argos coverage, I bet they will listen.

For the record, I am a subscriber. Good journalism is worth paying for, and subscribing was one small way for me to demonstrate that.

You know, I would like to subscribe, but feel that I cannot until they put an Argos logo on their front page, on a matter of principle. But if they did put a logo on their front page, I would immediately subscribe. So, they are missing out on a reliable subscription and $$$ simply because they have a thing against the Argos (for whatever reason). For me, it is just another example of the poor treatment of the Argos in the city by sports journalists, one that is completely unnecessary-- what does it cost them to have an Argos logo on their front page? Why don't they do it? If the argument is that there is "not enough interest" that's bullshit-- how else do you gain additional interest in your website? I am sure it would cost them nothing to have the logo, but they are doing it purely based on the typical "we are too cool for the Argos" attitude.

paulwoods13
03-25-2017, 02:02 PM
It costs nothing financial to put up a logo, but there's potentially a big cost to their credibility. If they put a logo on the page, they are suggesting they will have regular coverage of that team. I believe they are not prepared to do that for the Argos until they have enough subscribers who want Argo coverage to warrant the expense of providing that coverage. It's a chicken-and-egg situation. They need Argo fans to subscribe -- and let them know they want Argo coverage -- to justify the expense of hiring someone to cover the Argos regularly. It's $4 a month, I believe. If enough of us subscribe, and demand Argo coverage, they'll provide it. If not, they won't. This is a business that is far from certain of success. They have to target their spending carefully to match the interests of their subscribers. I made the leap even without regular Argo coverage because I want them to succeed. I don't care enough about any other Toronto team to pay, but I did -- and I let them know why. If enough others follow suit, they'll cover the team.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8