PDA

View Full Version : Argonauts Town Hall 2017

Neely2005
03-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Tuesday May 16, 2017 @ BMO Field:

http://us11.campaign-archive2.com/?u=419a4a2db0b6526a856c41a88&id=5423e9a9cc&e=e0a4147c95

Mightygoose
05-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Now taking place at the Queen Elizabeth building

https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.partner=rogers-acs&.rand=abohh1muskc71

Schedule:
Doors open at Queen Elizabeth Theatre: 5:30pm
Q&A with Jim Popp, Marc Trestman and Michael Copeland: 6:00pm
Locker Room Tour and Sale: 8:30pm

When was the last time, they had a locker room sale?

Since it's cash only, I'm just trying to budget. Wouldn't mind a helmet if they're reasonable.

Neely2005
05-12-2017, 06:53 PM
It would be nice to have some idea of prices for the locker room sale ahead of time. I'd like to get a football if the price is reasonable.

1971GreyCup
05-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Last helmet we bought was Willie Pile's helmet in 2010. $300

1971GreyCup
05-12-2017, 09:14 PM
They had a ton of practice footballs back then $20 each.

ArgoGabe22
05-12-2017, 09:20 PM
I can't see the link, but is it a locker room sale or just general merchandise? I know it's in the locker room but that doesn't necessarily mean game worn items are included. Unless it's specified in the email.

Hook16
05-12-2017, 10:17 PM
We will have game worn merchandise available for purchase as well as some of the Adidas Line.

Looking forward to seeing many of your there.

Michael Hook

Neely2005
05-12-2017, 10:46 PM
I can't see the link, but is it a locker room sale or just general merchandise? I know it's in the locker room but that doesn't necessarily mean game worn items are included. Unless it's specified in the email.

The locker room tour and sale will be held after the Town Hall. If you would like to check out our locker room, you will be asked to enter through the main player entrance which is located right inside Gate 1B. Fans can go through and then exit the rear doors of the locker room and either exit the building through Gate 2 or go into the BMO Club where the locker room sale will be held.

At the locker room sale, you can purchase helmets (limited selection), game worn jerseys, gloves and select Adidas and New Era*apparel. Please bring cash if you wish to purchase items. Limited quantity is available. If you wish to go to the locker room sale directly, then please head to Gate 2 after the Town Hall.

ArgoZ
05-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Looks like an awesome event. Locker room walk through, meet the coach and then sale! I guess every event can't be held on a weekend, but us with day jobs can never make this, bummer.

Jon Gonzo
05-13-2017, 06:51 PM
Where is Training Camp this year? Any mention of that, or did I miss the news?

BATKINSON001
05-13-2017, 07:35 PM
Where is Training Camp this year? Any mention of that, or did I miss the news?

Hasn't officially been announced yet.

Shatto
05-13-2017, 10:52 PM
Apparently, York Un is the likely location but no firm decision yet.

AngeloV
05-14-2017, 12:03 AM

That would be awesome. I asked the question at the open mic, and it didn't sound promising for a GTA location.

Jon Gonzo
05-14-2017, 10:35 AM

wow, cutting it tight

Shatto
05-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Just to clarify the Training Camp location---the information I received indicated, they were down to just a couple of locations with York Un a more likely site than the other (Guelph?) However this admin (not the football side), leaves me with little confidence in its decision making ability. The information details for the Open house only came out this Friday and the Training Camp decision should have been finalized a long time ago.

ArgoGabe22
05-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Open house was promoted earlier than just last week. Based on the open mic, they were working on getting a TC location, which means they were on it. Not everything has to be released to the public ASAP. BC JUST announced their TC will be Kamloops this week. I'm sure they knew they were staying there much earlier than this week.

Shipyard
05-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Open house was promoted earlier than just last week. Based on the open mic, they were working on getting a TC location, which means they were on it. Not everything has to be released to the public ASAP. BC JUST announced their TC will be Kamloops this week. I'm sure they knew they were staying there much earlier than this week.

BC's training camp has been in kamloops every year same location .. i saw on twitter that they were looking at extending another few years

not having TC location announced two weeks for camp is a joke, another strike against executive management of Argos
... I know they must have a few locations lined-up /negociating for months, make a fucking decision.

Shatto
05-14-2017, 03:11 PM
The details including facility, schedule and parking information for the Open House were not publicized until Friday--2 working days ahead of the Tuesday event. The Training Camp should have been a priority at least 6 weeks ago. The management (Copeland et al) have not yet grasped how essential it is to woo the public and that means getting the infrastructure in place and then publicizing the information early and often through the various media outlets---especially the Bell media setup.
One would have hoped that the lessons would have been learned after last year's chaos. When I talk to friends and acquaintances about the Argos, they normally respond with questions or comments about the Grey Cup debacle or the poor attendance at games---the admin has to realize the absolute necessity of good organization and getting good news out to the public as frequently as possible. The rookie camp opens 10 days from now---and we the fans have no idea where it will be---pathetic

paulwoods13
05-14-2017, 03:33 PM
On a scale of issues important to the future of the franchise, fans not knowing where training camp will be two weeks before it opens seems just a tad near the bottom of the list. And let's be clear -- fans not knowing the location is the only fact we can be sure about. The location might have been chosen weeks ago, and just not publicized.

AngeloV
05-14-2017, 04:01 PM
BC's training camp has been in kamloops every year same location .. i saw on twitter that they were looking at extending another few years

not having TC location announced two weeks for camp is a joke, another strike against executive management of Argos
... I know they must have a few locations lined-up /negociating for months, make a fucking decision.

Could be they are really hoping to have it in town, so they are willing to wait to the last minute to finalise an agreement. Of course, perhaps they also want to let their ST holders know first at the town hall, before publicly announcing it. Who knows? If they do announce it at the town hall first, I would see that as doing something to please their ST holders.

Jon Gonzo
05-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Really? I hope you are on payroll cos you sound like a giant excuse maker to me. And consistent. Tell me now, how many franchises in any pro sport don't know the location of training camp going into TC with 2 weeks to spare? Not too many I am betting. It's remarkable. That's why the remark was made.

Wobbler
05-14-2017, 07:20 PM
I have a hard time caring about this, but not having announced the TC location is pretty different from not knowing the TC location.

ArgoGabe22
05-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Well, wherever they go, I'm sure its whats best for the players and coaches. Last I heard, training camp is for the players and coaches. The Argos are a professional football team, not a youth team where we have to drive our kids to wherever the camp is held. And trust me, I would love to continue to visit practice as much as the next person.

AngeloV
05-14-2017, 07:46 PM
Well, wherever they go, I'm sure its whats best for the players and coaches. Last I heard, training camp is for the players and coaches. The Argos a professional football team, not a youth team where we have drive our kids to wherever the camp is held. And trust me, I would love to continue to visit practice as much as the next person.

I'm with you on this Gabe. In the eyes of many, the Argos can do no wrong (Me), but it seems to be increasing amount of people on here were the Argos can do no right.

paulwoods13
05-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Tell me now, how many franchises in any pro sport don't know the location of training camp going into TC with 2 weeks to spare?

None. The Argos definitely know the location of training camp -- it would be impossible to manage the logistics if they didn't. They just haven't told fans. And unlike players and coaches, fans don't actually need to know just yet.

argofan81
05-14-2017, 10:29 PM
For what it's worth (and I realize this isn't "official"), I got the impression that York university was decided upon as the training camp location at the open mic session I attended (which was after the first one that was held for this forum). The session was almost two weeks ago now. Only York U was named, no mention of a different location.

Shatto
05-15-2017, 12:25 AM
With all due respect, an organization that feels its fans don't actually need to know pertinent information, is an organization that does not understand the importance of cultivating a connection with its present and potential future fans. This organization is facing the challenge of being relevant in this market. Not publicizing details of the Open House until 2 working days before the event or failing to broadcast the information about the location of the rookie camp 10 days hence, are not, in themselves, major issues but is indicative of a failing of the admin, to comprehend the necessity of reaching out to the community, so information can excite the fans' interest.

For the Argos to be a relevant player in this market, besides a having winning team; the organization must have superlative administrative leadership, outstanding media savvy and exemplary communication with the community. Evidence to date makes one question if those qualities are present in the organization.

On a positive note, York would be an excellent location for the Training Camp. It certainly makes it easier for media types to be present and would entice more fans to enjoy the experience. Anything that raises the profile level of the team, can only help the team's image and lead to more interest in the team.

There is no question of the loyalty and even love of the team, shown by those that post on this site. We may disagree on some issues but it is abundantly clear that we all have, as a bottom line, the best interests of the team at heart. Hopefully, this will be a wonderful winning season and the stadium will see good crowds for all games. Even with my reservations about the team's admin, I believe the Argos can become again a relevant institution in this community.

Jon Gonzo
05-15-2017, 02:15 AM
With all due respect, an organization that feels its fans don't actually need to know pertinent information, is an organization that does not understand the importance of cultivating a connection with its present and potential future fans. This organization is facing the challenge of being relevant in this market. Not publicizing details of the Open House until 2 working days before the event or failing to broadcast the information about the location of the rookie camp 10 days hence, are not, in themselves, major issues but is indicative of a failing of the admin, to comprehend the necessity of reaching out to the community, so information can excite the fans' interest.

For the Argos to be a relevant player in this market, besides a having winning team; the organization must have superlative administrative leadership, outstanding media savvy and exemplary communication with the community. Evidence to date makes one question if those qualities are present in the organization.

On a positive note, York would be an excellent location for the Training Camp. It certainly makes it easier for media types to be present and would entice more fans to enjoy the experience. Anything that raises the profile level of the team, can only help the team's image and lead to more interest in the team.

There is no question of the loyalty and even love of the team, shown by those that post on this site. We may disagree on some issues but it is abundantly clear that we all have, as a bottom line, the best interests of the team at heart. Hopefully, this will be a wonderful winning season and the stadium will see good crowds for all games. Even with my reservations about the team's admin, I believe the Argos can become again a relevant institution in this community.

Ah, someone who understands the big picture. Very well written and I could not agree more. Cracking on fans for not living up to the doctrine on a fan site, with 12 old guys seems (me included) seems rather ironic and almost hysterical. Of course we care. Jeebus martha. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to sleep with double blue pom-poms and be a card carrying lemming. LOL. Nice read here Shatto, and I too am looking forward to the new season and new administration. They have made sense -- in a very short period of time. Argo fans are very fortunate that this all worked out.

1971GreyCup
05-15-2017, 08:20 AM
The word that keeps coming up with the marketing of the Argos is "excuses". We can't or didn't because of the late start, or the other Toronto teams successes, or you fill in the blanks. Let's stop this data collection phase and get down to the business of running a franchise. Goodness know we are surrounded by successfully run franchises.

I assume Fan Day 2017 is up in the air. Logistically, it would have to be held in 19 days. When would that promotion begin?

How can hyping training camp and Fan Day be considered the wrong thing. When I was young we didn't sign just a receiver. We signed the 'One and only' - Eric "The Flea" Allen. And boy did we hear about his exploits. When Stillwagon and Anderson were signed, we heard about Buckeyes trio that included Jack Tatum. We were dying for training camp to open and get a flood of Argos info.

Promotion served The Ringling Broyhers well four 100 years. Isn't this entertainment we're talking about?

Jim Popp gets it. He just better have the freedom to do what he does best. Excuses time is over. The Argos had better start communicating to their market. If they don't, we'll find someone who will.

Will
05-15-2017, 08:29 AM
Some of us are more confident in the current administration than others. I don't think that either side may claim that the other is simply a fringe element.

As for the training camp location, I had heard York a few weeks ago, but was unaware as to whether the information was sensitive in anyway so I didn't report it here. The fact that it hasn't officially been reported doesn't mean it hasn't been confirmed for sometime internally.

I don't think it would've hurt to have sent out a press release.

ArgoGabe22
05-15-2017, 09:09 AM
So who's coming to the Town Hall?

Mightygoose
05-15-2017, 09:23 AM
I'll be there.

Anyone know how parking will be? I've never been down there on non-game days (for any team there).

Would the lot to the east of BMO be accessible?

1971GreyCup
05-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Looking forward to hearing from Jim Popp and Marc Trestman.

Neely2005
05-15-2017, 12:28 PM

Well said.

Neely2005
05-15-2017, 12:30 PM
I'll be there.

Anyone know how parking will be? I've never been down there on non-game days (for any team there).

If traffic cooperates we'll be there.

shayman
05-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Promotion served The Ringling Broyhers well four 100 years. Isn't this entertainment we're talking about?

Um, I'd pick a different example. Ringling Brothers Circus is folding this month after 146 years.

1971GreyCup
05-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Um, I'd pick a different example. Ringling Brothers Circus is folding this month after 146 years.

Point taken.

Will
05-15-2017, 01:46 PM
I'll be there.

The e-mail the Argos sent out did suggest the parking lot to the east of BMO. They also mentioned the one that is N-NW of the building we will be in tomorrow.

1971GreyCup
05-15-2017, 02:21 PM
The e-mail the Argos sent out did suggest the parking lot to the east of BMO. They also mentioned the one that is N-NW of the building we will be in tomorrow.

The Queen Elizabeth Building is located west of BMO Field. There is a parking lot located right behind the theatre on the west side Manitoba Drive. About 20 yards from the entrance.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Queen+Elizabeth+Theatre/@43.6331652,-79.4216781,18.7z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x24a9ad69ec769b8d!8m2!3d43.63 27076!4d-79.4213438

argolio
05-15-2017, 02:49 PM
When I was young we didn't sign just a receiver. We signed the 'One and only' - Eric "The Flea" Allen. And boy did we hear about his exploits. When Stillwagon and Anderson were signed, we heard about Buckeyes trio that included Jack Tatum. We were dying for training camp to open and get a flood of Argos info.Those were exciting days, but what did those big signings really do for the Argos on the field? One good team in 71 and an embarrassing overtime playoff collapse in 73. 1970 was a decent team, but the rest of the decade was disappointing at best.

In the 80s, the last decade before CFL and NFL salaries really separated themselves, the Argos had few if any high-profile NFL or NCAA signings (does Dan Manucci count?). We saw seven playoff appearances and three Grey Cups, and you could argue 80 and 81 were really an extension of the 70s.

1971GreyCup
05-15-2017, 03:36 PM
Those were exciting days, but what did those big signings really do for the Argos on the field? One good team in 71 and an embarrassing overtime playoff collapse in 73. 1970 was a decent team, but the rest of the decade was disappointing at best.

In the 80s, the last decade before CFL and NFL salaries really separated themselves, the Argos had few if any high-profile NFL or NCAA signings (does Dan Manucci count?). We saw seven playoff appearances and three Grey Cups, and you could argue 80 and 81 were really an extension of the 70s.

I am of the camp that we need both competitive and exciting football. I think that Jim Popp understands an uphill battle for fans in a large metropolitan area.
Excellent Montreal football teams just about filled Olympic Stadium for playoff games.

Before the salary cap, the big signing of Rocket Ismail provided both the talent, competitive football and the media coverage that kept the Argos relevant. Also sold 40,000 tickets too. I don't propose to sign the expected #1 NFL Draft Pick, but wouldn't mind a marquee player. Popp has been known to pull the trigger on that type of a player in the past.

Mightygoose
05-15-2017, 03:53 PM
The Queen Elizabeth Building is located west of BMO Field. There is a parking lot located right behind the theatre on the west side Manitoba Drive. About 20 yards from the entrance.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Queen+Elizabeth+Theatre/@43.6331652,-79.4216781,18.7z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x24a9ad69ec769b8d!8m2!3d43.63 27076!4d-79.4213438

Thanks guys.

Must have missed that in the email. Hopefully parking is not much tomorrow or no cost at all.

Will
05-15-2017, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys.

Must have missed that in the email. Hopefully parking is not much tomorrow or no cost at all.

I believe it is paid parking. You can always park in Liberty Village if the price at Exhibition Place seems too high.

paulwoods13
05-15-2017, 04:40 PM
Before the salary cap, the big signing of Rocket Ismail provided both the talent, competitive football and the media coverage that kept the Argos relevant. Also sold 40,000 tickets too.

Kept the Argos relevant for one season, then they dropped off the map again.

Averaged 36,000, actually. Had one regular-season crowd over 40,000, and a little over 50,000 at the Eastern Final.

Harpastum
05-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Ok - so you guys have got me wondering what the largest regular season game attendance might have been...?
I'm guessing the home opener at the Skydome - was that in 1989...?
I was there & remember it was a big gathering.
Plus since the dome was all new - it drew people like moths because of that!

Will
05-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Ok - so you guys have got me wondering what the largest regular season game attendance might have been...?

It was a game in 1992 between Ottawa and Toronto.

Harpastum
05-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Thanks for such a quick answer Argofan!
Now I hope you'll also be able to tell me whether we will be able to buy dinner & a beer at the event tomorrow...?

Will
05-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Thanks for such a quick answer Argofan!
Now I hope you'll also be able to tell me whether we will be able to buy dinner & a beer at the event tomorrow...?

The initial e-mail claimed there'd be food & drink.

Harpastum
05-15-2017, 07:56 PM
Now that you've provided all this good info Argofan - I guess the 1st round's on me.

1971GreyCup
05-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys.

Actually the email said park on the east side of BMO Field. Pretty far away. Maybe it's free there?

We were at the Christmas with the Clemons event in December held at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre and so we just happened to know the logistics.

ArgoRavi
05-16-2017, 12:32 AM

The largest regular season home attendance for the Argos was for a September 1982 game against the Ticats at old Exhibition Stadium (52k+ IIRC).

paulwoods13
05-16-2017, 08:23 AM
The first reg-season game in SkyDome (1989) drew 32,527. The first game in 1991 drew 41,178.

Will
05-16-2017, 03:29 PM
The first reg-season game in SkyDome (1989) drew 32,527. The first game in 1991 drew 41,178.

I think that's the only regular season game in '91 that was > than 40,000. After '92, I think the Argos only drew > 40,000 on 2 occasions against Hamilton in 2005 and Winnipeg in 2007.

paulwoods13
05-16-2017, 03:37 PM
I think that's the only regular season game in '91 that was > than 40,000. After '92, I think the Argos only drew > 40,000 on 2 occasions against Hamilton in 2005 and Winnipeg in 2007.

The first statement about '91 is definitely true, altho they did draw 50k-plus for the Eastern Final that year.

Will
05-16-2017, 04:10 PM
The first statement about '91 is definitely true, altho they did draw 50k-plus for the Eastern Final that year.

Yes and aside from the 100th it is the only game involving the Argonauts at Skydome that drew greater than 50,000 fans.

Mightygoose
05-16-2017, 04:32 PM
I'm likely to be late. Too many loose ends here but may just go straight to the locker room sale.

Somebody take good notes please :)

Will
05-16-2017, 04:34 PM
I'm likely to be late. Too many loose ends here but may just go straight to the locker room sale.

Somebody take good notes please :)

I nominate Paul Woods. He is good at remembering.

Mightygoose
05-16-2017, 06:29 PM

Made it on time afterall. They're starting later than scheduled....must have been waiting for me.

I like the QE theatre set up. The seats are blue!

Argo57
05-16-2017, 07:43 PM
The largest regular season home attendance for the Argos was for a September 1982 game against the Ticats at old Exhibition Stadium (52k+ IIRC).

I was there, still have great memories of that stadium!

paulwoods13
05-16-2017, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I didn't take any notes. No huge surprises but I was sure intrigued to hear that Trestman plans five different offensive "tempos" including some no-huddle. All in all an excellent event, and the sale had a lot of very cool stuff.

Will
05-16-2017, 10:57 PM
Ya, no real juicy tidbits.

Trestman seems to have managed to smooth over things with Foley. Not to the point where he's coming back or anything, but smoothed over any hard feelings caused by Foley's perception of the way in which he was released.

The locker room sale was neat. They actually had a basket full of 80's and early 90's jerseys for $10. I got a boat logo jersey from the last few years of that jersery (with the Champions crest).

Shatto
05-16-2017, 11:31 PM
Aside from the logistics of trying to enter, the whole event was well done and first class all the way. Abundant tasty food and a drink per person. Having players freely mixing with the fans in the lobby was definite plus.
The presentation/introductory speeches were kept relatively short, allowing many fans to ask questions of those on stage. The questions covered a range of issues, opinions and concerns. Copeland, Popp and Trestman answered all questions in an open and diplomatic manner but there was little insight or new information provided in the answers. Here are some of the things I took away from the comments/answers:
.Fan Day is at York Un on June 3
.The radio broadcast cancellation a purely financial decision. There will be some form of broadcast--perhaps using the opposing team's broadcast
.Character and discipline will be an important aspect of the team
.Protection of the QB is more than how the OL plays-HB blocking. The schemes, quick release of the ball and field location are also important
.Little if any information was provided about any specific player or players
Missing the early FA rush, allowed cap space to sign Green and Laing and there is money left to sign others if they wish
Need for greater media exposure was mentioned by some fans--Disappointed in Copeland's answer-would have like a more Cahill type approach
.Ex Argo players will be present and highlighted at the games--including Foley
.Trestman appeared at ease answering questions--expect him to be a media friendly coach
Those were some of my "takes" on the answers to the fans questions/comments. Others may have different opinions On the whole, it was an excellent event and provided a good kick off for the upcoming season. Two thumbs up on this one!

ArgoGabe22
05-16-2017, 11:33 PM
So Foley is retiring? Can't recognize the past if he's out playing for another team.

Will
05-17-2017, 08:15 AM
Popp said that Argos are still looking to bring in 2-3 players of note.

paulwoods13
05-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Re the radio, Copeland did say, in his answer to the second question, that they are in discussions with people involved in the past about some sort of presence. Ideally that would mean a post-game call-in show with Hogan and Jeff Johnson or Sandy Annunziata. As for the broadcast itself, much as I dislike Rod Black as a play-by-play guy, it would be far better to have TSN's TV feed on radio than the opposing team's radio broadcast. The latter would be next to useless in this market. At least TSN covers both teams semi-equally on TV.

paulwoods13
05-17-2017, 08:22 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if there's another QB signed. I think they'd want a wee bit more insurance at that position, since everyone behind Ray is either inexperienced or of uncertain pedigree. I personally still think Willy can develop into a useful QB, especially under Trestman, but if he were to get hurt they'd be down to guys with next to no experience.

AngeloV
05-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Re the radio, Copeland did say, in his answer to the second question, that they are in discussions with people involved in the past about some sort of presence. Ideally that would mean a post-game call-in show with Hogan and Jeff Johnson or Sandy Annunziata. As for the broadcast itself, much as I dislike Rod Black as a play-by-play guy, it would be far better to have TSN's TV feed on radio than the opposing team's radio broadcast. The latter would be next to useless in this market. At least TSN covers both teams semi-equally on TV.

I don't think Black is a good PBP guy either, but I was a little upset that someone took to the mic to cut him up. Say what you want about Black as far as calling a game goes, but he is a great guy, and it also put Rod Smith in an uncomfortable position.

Neely2005
05-17-2017, 10:10 AM
I don't think Black is a good PBP guy either, but I was a little upset that someone took to the mic to cut him up. Say what you want about Black as far as calling a game goes, but he is a great guy, and it also put Rod Smith in an uncomfortable position.

Yeah there were a couple of oddball questions last night. What was up with the guy complaining about free toques?!? It's always amusing when someone tries to pass off their opinion as if it's everyone's opinion.

Will
05-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Yeah there were a couple of oddball questions last night. What was up with the guy complaining about free toques?!? It's always amusing when someone tries to pass off their opinion as if it's everyone's opinion.

I think his gist was that he'd rather have the money spent on the gifts put back into the club.

I don't know if it was that the questions were oddball rather than they could have been much more concise.

Neely2005
05-17-2017, 10:15 AM
I think his gist was that he'd rather have the money spent on the gifts put back into the club.

I don't know if it was that the questions were oddball rather than they could have been much more concise.

Yeah but you can do both, it's not an either or proposition.

AngeloV
05-17-2017, 11:07 AM
An interesting comment from Popp last night when he was asked about whether or not the neg lists should be made public. If it were up to him, there would be no neg lists, and any players not under contract would be free agents. He cited that the salary cap would prevent an all out bidding war for any of these guys anyway.

I agree with his opinion here.

Shatto
05-17-2017, 11:09 AM
After a good night's sleep here are a couple more reflections:
.There was a very positive attitude shown by all towards Popp and Trestman but there was a subtly less positive attitude shown to Copeland

.Most questions were genuinely from he heart but most are not experienced in asking a probing but at the same time diplomatic questions--but we should not expect that of the average fan.

.Interesting that the most highly recognized and generally most highly thought of Argo, was not present (Clemons). Perhaps he had another commitment--still it was interesting that he was not present.

.Overall the organization ran a well managed event and should be complimented for their efforts

Will
05-17-2017, 11:17 AM
.There was a very positive attitude shown by all towards Popp and Trestman but there was a subtly less positive attitude shown to Copeland

.Most questions were genuinely from he heart but most are not experienced in asking a probing but at the same time diplomatic questions--but we should not expect that of the average fan.

.Interesting that the most highly recognized and generally most highly thought of Argo, was not present (Clemons). Perhaps he had another commitment--still it was interesting that he was not present.

.Overall the organization ran a well managed event and should be complimented for their efforts

The attitude towards Copeland would not be surprising I suppose.

The way the Foley question was asked certainly wasn't diplomatic, but I'll echo that Popp did a nice job handling it.

I noted Pinball's absence as well.

The organization should definitely be complimented for their efforts.

Neely2005
05-17-2017, 11:54 AM
An interesting comment from Popp last night when he was asked about whether or not the neg lists should be made public. If it were up to him, there would be no neg lists, and any players not under contract would be free agents. He cited that the salary cap would prevent an all out bidding war for any of these guys anyway.

Yes that makes sense to me too.

Neely2005
05-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Yeah kudos to Copeland for handling himself well while taking some heat.

ArgoRavi
05-17-2017, 12:28 PM

Negotiation lists go back to a time when there was no cap. I agree that, with a cap now, there is no need for these lists. It would also rid the league of the criticism of these lists not being made public.

doubleblue
05-17-2017, 12:34 PM

I think that would be a great idea as the salary cap would help control things. The neg list thing was brought in when the big spenders could out bid the poor, like little old Regina back in the day. Would stop some teams from hoarding QB's especially hoping to squeeze a #1 draft pick out of one of the bottom feeders. I think Popp got caught in that a few times. lol

Wobbler
05-17-2017, 01:11 PM
but I was sure intrigued to hear that Trestman plans five different offensive "tempos" including some no-huddle.
That sounds surprisingly granular. I'd be perfectly happy if we simply mixed some no huddle in with a "conventional" offensive look, but if Trestman can confuse defences (without confusing our offensive players) more power to him.

paulwoods13
05-17-2017, 04:11 PM
I can't see the league getting rid of neg lists because I'm sure some teams feel they are better than others at identifying potential CFLers, and they won't want to lose that "advantage."

Jamiedykstra
05-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Hi Everyone.

Quick note to say thank you for everyone who came out last night. As I mentioned to a few of you last night, as an organization we can plan these events, but if no one shows up, and no one asks questions, they don't work. So thank you for coming out, for asking great questions (mostly :) ) and for making this a great event. Your passion is contagious, and your support is truly appreciated.

Jamie Dykstra

BATKINSON001
05-17-2017, 05:18 PM
Hey jamie, thanks for putting on such a good event it was great and well enjoyed. The event was much better than the last two I attended (2012/13) at second city.

If anyone (there are some I know who couldn't come) wants to listen to the event, I recorded it on my cellphone (with permission from Sarah Moore).

https://youtu.be/iPBLeTHYZgc

Topshelf
05-17-2017, 05:31 PM
I can't believe I missed my chance at a boat logo jersey!
Before the Grey cup I was offered 200 bucks for the Ismail jersey off my back. I took the money and have regretted it ever since.
Time for a replacement, nothing beats a throwback!

R.J
05-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Thanks to all for the posted info and snippets. Due to work I wasn't able to attend, and I hope there's more weekend events in the future.

Rich
05-18-2017, 01:28 AM

Didn't he also say something like the Argos were better positioned cap-wise than everyone else in the league? Did he mean that we have more cap-room at this point in time?

ArgofanIan
05-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Thanks to the ARGO's for putting on this very organized and well run event...

Will
05-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Didn't he also say something like the Argos were better positioned cap-wise than everyone else in the league? Did he mean that we have more cap-room at this point in time?

I don't remember Popp using those specific words myself though I did step out for portions of the Q & A. What I do remember him saying is that he feels the Argos will have some flexibility later in the season to sign a free agent if the need arises.

BATKINSON001
05-18-2017, 11:56 AM
I don't remember Popp using those specific words myself though I did step out for portions of the Q & A. What I do remember him saying is that he feels the Argos will have some flexibility later in the season to sign a free agent if the need arises.if you want to hear the q&a, for the parts you missed, check my post for my youtube link from yesterday in this thread, I recorded the whole audio of the town hall.

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?4837-Argonauts-Town-Hall-2017&p=110150&viewfull=1#post110150

7dj83r8f78t4alf8