PDA

View Full Version : Foley Released

ArgoGabe22
03-31-2017, 10:47 AM
Is anyone surprised? He's deleted the tweet but said (paraphrasing): "released via text message from the Assistant GM. Keep it classy".

Will
03-31-2017, 10:48 AM
I guess he didn't agree to restructure his contract.

mchesher03
03-31-2017, 11:16 AM
Surprised it took this long. We can wax on about his off-field involvement, etc. – all great things that can be commended.

Simple fact is he didn’t produce much last year and he’s turning 36 years old this year? Writing was on the wall.

Maybe he catches on elsewhere but somehow I doubt it. We’ll see though.

Will
03-31-2017, 11:17 AM
I am not a huge fan of the way he was allegedly released, but was he really generating the production expected from the DE position? Fact is that the D-line was porous last year and aside from Lemon not particularly effective at the pass rush.

Jon Gonzo
03-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Football is a cold business, but 35 year old expensive football players who are trending the wrong way with chronic injuries -- shouldn't take it personally. It's almost a no brainer for a GM. Ricky was one of the finest Canadian DE's ever. 3 time Grey Cup winner and an MVP. Get fitted for the Hall brother, you done good.

Neely2005
03-31-2017, 11:30 AM
They should really at least pick up the phone and call him. I think that any player deserves at least that much.

AngeloV
03-31-2017, 11:32 AM
I am not a huge fan of the way he was allegedly released, but was he really generating the production expected from the DE position? Fact is that the D-line was porous last year and aside from Lemon not particularly effective at the pass rush.

It's too bad IMO. I don't think he was nearly as bad as some people that only look at stats think he was. Lemon was playing the weak side of the field which is more of the rush end spot, and Foley as a result had a lot more outside contain responsibilities. His speed really works well at that spot.

Jon Gonzo
03-31-2017, 11:40 AM
Absolutely they should, but there must have been some interchange going on if he was offered a re-structured contract? On another front; I think the Argos will draft a DE or LB with the 10th pick. Malumba, Boeteng, Mackie....

Jon Gonzo
03-31-2017, 11:43 AM
and ironically, the man/team mate/friend he was so stoked about seeing return (B.Whit) just likely got his money

Shatto
03-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Sorry to see him leave, as he was one of the few players who was visible both during the season and also in the off season. In all likelihood he balked at contract restructuring ( taking pay cut). It is understandable as others have indicated, that at his age, with high contract and diminishing productivity, he was in a vulnerable position. It is difficult to find fault with the decision itself but if the reports of how he was notified are true, it leaves a bad taste.
It is disturbing how the Assistant GM seems to be treating long standing loyal players. Surely Foley deserved better than a text message, telling him he was gone. Also Drurie appears to be set adrift with little communication from management. These are local players who have contributed greatly to the team during their careers. They deserve better treatment than they appear to be getting. Maybe there is more to the story, if so then the fans deserve to know.

Antwon
03-31-2017, 12:44 PM
As for the business side of things, I get it. Management trying to get veterans to take pay cuts, to the players saying no.
But considering Foley's career and how much he put into the Argos, he deserved more than a text!!!!
The optics look bad as they gave the forever injured Ray the starting job before seeing him in camp. Then sign an aging RB.(guessing Whitaker signed for cheap)

To Ricky, always classy and played every down with heart!
And thanks for the pic at the double blue bash Grey Cup week!

Wobbler
03-31-2017, 01:50 PM
This limits our options for starting NATs. I wonder if Foley thought so too, and refused to restructure because he thought he had the team over a barrel.

RoRoYoBoat
03-31-2017, 03:47 PM
The leak to 3downnation probably had more to do with it than anything. He was cut within an hour of the story being published. Went from a restructuring discussion to a text message.

ArgoZ
03-31-2017, 04:42 PM
And the reduced price for his Jersey ended up telling the future, crazy. There's obviously more to the story than a text message.

gilthethrill
03-31-2017, 05:07 PM
They should really at least pick up the phone and call him. I think that any player deserves at least that much.

The article posted in 3downation made mention that the Argos tried contacting Foley by phone several times. What else could they have done? Go knock on his door?

R.J
03-31-2017, 05:28 PM
TBH, if Foley wasn't willing to restructure (significant pay decrease), then the move doesn't bother me. While I'm a big fan of his, Foley hasn't played well the last two seasons. I still hold out hope that sometime soon, the team gets Van Zeyl to "restructure" his deal.

Shatto
03-31-2017, 06:04 PM
Most agree that Foley has lost a step and recent performances have not been up to his top performance years. That along with his age and high cost, would lead one to think that he would have recognized the situation and have accepted a salary reduction. Not doing so resulted in the inevitable--his release.
However, management should have made all possible attempts to reach out to him so he could have been informed personally. Since he was reached through text, why wasn't a text sent, informing him he had a certain timeline to contact management or decisions would be made without that contact. For those who have been in the position of releasing staff (firing), you know how unpleasant that task is but caring organizations make every possible effort to do so face to face or at the very least through a direct phone call.
Players like Foley and Durie are local players who have hugely contributed to the team's success in the past and they have always shown outstanding loyalty to the organization and many ways they have been the public face of the team. It is not too much to expect the organization recognize that and treat these players with the respect they have earned.

Neely2005
03-31-2017, 06:06 PM
Heard them talking about this on CFRB 1010 (which is owned by Bell) from the view of being fired by Text and of course they had to take some shots at the Argonauts and their lack of fans.

paulwoods13
03-31-2017, 07:05 PM
I liked Foley and will be forever grateful for his contribution to our GC in 2012. But a Hall of Famer? I'll eat my hat when that happens.

Argo57
03-31-2017, 07:08 PM
Most agree that Foley has lost a step and recent performances have not been up to his top performance years. That along with his age and high cost, would lead one to think that he would have recognized the situation and have accepted a salary reduction. Not doing so resulted in the inevitable--his release.
However, management should have made all possible attempts to reach out to him so he could have been informed personally. Since he was reached through text, why wasn't a text sent, informing him he had a certain timeline to contact management or decisions would be made without that contact. For those who have been in the position of releasing staff (firing), you know how unpleasant that task is but caring organizations make every possible effort to do so face to face or at the very least through a direct phone call.
Players like Foley and Durie are local players who have hugely contributed to the team's success in the past and they have always shown outstanding loyalty to the organization and many ways they have been the public face of the team. It is not too much to expect the organization recognize that and treat these players with the respect they have earned.

Well stated Shatto, although there is always a story behind the story the organization should take extra care in how they handle these situations (especially when popular vets are involved).
Just saw the announcement on CFTO sports, Lance Brown highlighted the fact that it was done by text which doesn't reflect well at all.

Argo57
03-31-2017, 07:10 PM
I liked Foley and will be forever grateful for his contribution to our GC in 2012. But a Hall of Famer? I'll eat my hat when that happens.

I don't see Foley as a Hall of Fame player either TBH.

AngeloV
03-31-2017, 08:10 PM
I like Foley a lot, but before he goes around throwing comments about class, he really needs to take a look in the mirror. He came off a Grey Cup championship in 2012 playing a role in which the Argos felt gave them the best chance to be successful, won top D player in the Grey Cup, but decided to hit the hi-way because he didn't like the fact that he wasn't used in a position to rack up sack stats.

I also believe the Argos tried to contact him, and it wouldn't surprise me if he purposely didn't respond because he knew what the conversation was going to be.

Good luck to him elsewhere, but I really hate finger pointing that always goes on when this happens. Chad Owens never did this.

larz-7
03-31-2017, 08:27 PM
I like Foley a lot, but before he goes around throwing comments about class, he really needs to take a look in the mirror. He came off a Grey Cup championship in 2012 playing a role in which the Argos felt gave them the best chance to be successful, won top D player in the Grey Cup, but decided to hit the hi-way because he didn't like the fact that he wasn't used in a position to rack up sack stats.

I also believe the Argos tried to contact him, and it wouldn't surprise me if he purposely didn't respond because he knew what the conversation was going to be.

Good luck to him elsewhere, but I really hate finger pointing that always goes on when this happens. Chad Owens never did this.
i could not say it better

TOBenfica
03-31-2017, 08:43 PM
Apparently 3down is reporting that argos called foley multiple times on Thursday and left a message for him to call them back within 12 hours. they called his agent to tell him about their discussion. if foley doesn't respond, what are they suppose to do?

I like foley but sometimes his tweets come across harsh, especially if he feels slighted...

Argo57
03-31-2017, 09:26 PM

I remember his interviews on Toronto sports radio stations after he signed in Regina, trashing the Argonauts for misusing his talents and lowering his market value by hurting his personal stats (he won a Grey Cup didn't he)??
Finally lets flashback to 2010 when Foley apparently agreed to a contract with the BC Lions conducted interviews discussing his return to the team then subsequently reneged on the same day and signed in Toronto.
Live by the sword die by the sword.

timlb01
03-31-2017, 09:50 PM
The video on TSN by Gary Lawless tells the story about how Foley would not answer his phone. The text was a last resort by the team to contact him. Even his agent told the Argos Foley did not want to talk to them. After all the facts I have zero issue with the text. I do like Ricky and will miss him but it is the right move for the team.

Argo57
03-31-2017, 10:07 PM
The video on TSN by Gary Lawless tells the story about how Foley would not answer his phone. The text was a last resort by the team to contact him. Even his agent told the Argos Foley did not want to talk to them. After all the facts I have zero issue with the text. I do like Ricky and will miss him but it is the right move for the team.

The Lawless explanation makes more sense, sadly the media is playing up the released by text storyline.

OV Argo
03-31-2017, 11:39 PM
I don't see Foley as a Hall of Fame player either TBH.

Not sure about HOF credentials for Ricky, but maybe - GC Champ with 3 different teams (pretty rare CFL feat - Damon Allen and Robert Drummond are the only other 2 i can name right now ?); good career sack totals, plus led the CFL in tackles by a D-lineman in a season.

Anyhow - he should go down as an all-time great Canadian/CFL DE IMO - Jim Corrigal, Wayne Smith, Rick Klassen, Brent Johnson - in that sort of company perhaps; and did it in a time when not many Canadians got to play DE in the G, er, you know, CFL. ;o)

Stevoman
04-01-2017, 12:35 AM
Good player and a local boy. I will miss seeing him on the team.

Shatto
04-01-2017, 12:39 AM
Let's look at the conditions around the Foley release:
. He was due a bonus Sat Apr 1 and that was a driving force to get Foley to renegotiate ----so why is the decision to contact him delayed to two days before this due date? Surely this decision to reduce his salary was made well before Thursday.
. If the team was unable to reach him by numerous phone calls but did get to him by text---why did management not clearly state by text, that failure to contact them would result in his release? Surely that would motivate him to contact team.
. If his agent told management, Foley did not want to speak to them----why wouldn't management give the agent an ultimatum that failure of Foley to contact them would result in his release? Again surely that would make it clear that he had no choice but to contact team.

It seems obvious that Foley was trying to avoid talking to management, hoping that would guarantee his bonus. It is the team's responsibility to deliver the message, that avoiding contact with team would result in his release. Foley was foolish to attempt to duck the team but they should also have realized the optics of releasing a long term vet like Foley in this manner, would generate very bad P.R. Yes, it would have meant the team making a concerted effort to get the message to Foley but it would have been worth that effort to avoid the bad P.R they are now getting.

The team needs good P.R not poor P.R--regardless of how uncooperative Foley was being, management should have realized that this method of informing him, would result in an unfavourable media reaction. Until we have 20,000 STH's and are the darling of the media, the team has to avoid actions that will result in potential bad press.

Neely2005
04-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Apparently 3down is reporting that argos called foley multiple times on Thursday and left a message for him to call them back within 12 hours. they called his agent to tell him about their discussion. if foley doesn't respond, what are they suppose to do?

I like foley but sometimes his tweets come across harsh, especially if he feels slighted...

Glad to hear that the Text was the last resort. To bad the media has already been playing up the story that he was fired by Text.

AngeloV
04-01-2017, 10:04 AM
. He was due a bonus Sat Apr 1 and that was a driving force to get Foley to renegotiate ----so why is the decision to contact him delayed to two days before this due date? Surely this decision to reduce his salary was made well before Thursday.
. If the team was unable to reach him by numerous phone calls but did get to him by text---why did management not clearly state by text, that failure to contact them would result in his release? Surely that would motivate him to contact team.
. If his agent told management, Foley did not want to speak to them----why wouldn't management give the agent an ultimatum that failure of Foley to contact them would result in his release? Again surely that would make it clear that he had no choice but to contact team.

It seems obvious that Foley was trying to avoid talking to management, hoping that would guarantee his bonus. It is the team's responsibility to deliver the message, that avoiding contact with team would result in his release. Foley was foolish to attempt to duck the team but they should also have realized the optics of releasing a long term vet like Foley in this manner, would generate very bad P.R. Yes, it would have meant the team making a concerted effort to get the message to Foley but it would have been worth that effort to avoid the bad P.R they are now getting.

The team needs good P.R not poor P.R--regardless of how uncooperative Foley was being, management should have realized that this method of informing him, would result in an unfavourable media reaction. Until we have 20,000 STH's and are the darling of the media, the team has to avoid actions that will result in potential bad press.

I really disagree. This is Foley playing the media game to make himself look like a victim. As I mentioned before, when the Argos didn't offer Chad Owens a contract, he took the high road. I guess that's the difference between Chad and Ricky. To somewhat quote Ricky, "stay classy."

timlb01
04-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Is it really bad when the entire story is told. Is that bad that the Argos are in the news over this? I noticed on CTV the story changed to Foley was released and they did not mention the text part at 11:30pm. So the story is getting out. I am sure the Argos had to make contact with him and they were attempting to cover there legal obligation by doing so like this. Like I said earlier I like Ricky but avoiding the release by not answering his phone and his agent saying he wasn't going to talk to them is just silly. Anyhow it is over and everyone can now move on.

paulwoods13
04-01-2017, 10:26 AM

First of all, we don't know what mgmt said in the text. Maybe they did in fact say, contact us by phone or you will be released. Regardless, if the intent was to save $ by cutting him before a roster bonus deadline, they clearly had to do it by the time they did. They say they notified his agent, and notified him by text because he was not responding to attempts to reach him. Yes, it's mgmt's responsibility to notify a player of his release. They did that. Does Ricky have any responsibility to respond to their contact efforts? Or does the player have free rein to avoid responding in hopes that the deadline will pass?

What exactly did they do wrong? To avoid the "poor P.R.," should they have not kept him under contract and paid the bonus? I'd rather have that money available for spending on other players if this player is not in their plans.

timlb01
04-01-2017, 10:27 AM
First of all, we don't know what mgmt said in the text. Maybe they did in fact say, contact us by phone or you will be released. Regardless, if the intent was to save $ by cutting him before a roster bonus deadline, they clearly had to do it by the time they did. They say they notified his agent, and notified him by text because he was not responding to attempts to reach him. Yes, it's mgmt's responsibility to notify a player of his release. They did that. Does Ricky have any responsibility to respond to their contact efforts? Or does the player have free rein to avoid responding in hopes that the deadline will pass?

What exactly did they do wrong? To avoid the "poor P.R.," should they have not kept him under contract and paid the bonus? I'd rather have that money available for spending on other players if this player is not in their plans.

+1 agreed

1971GreyCup
04-01-2017, 12:07 PM
And the reduced price for his Jersey ended up telling the future, crazy. There's obviously more to the story than a text message.

Argos marketing continues to baffle! Foley's released and his jersey price goes back to full retail?? Any at the controls there?

Gill The Thrill
04-01-2017, 12:15 PM

I heard they did call him and they got no response...would a voicemail message have been better?

Hope he enjoyed his time in Saskatchewan, so he really can't complain about loyalty, and he wasn't really effective, so the real news should be what took them so long. His contract was an example of how poor Barker was as a GM...what was he thinking signing an over the hill vet to such a deal, this was one of many.

1971GreyCup
04-01-2017, 12:20 PM
I heard they did call him and they got no response...would a voicemail message have been better?

Hope he enjoyed his time in Saskatchewan, so he really can't complain about loyalty, and he wasn't really effective, so the real news should be what took them so long. His contract was an example of how poor Barker was as a GM...what was he thinking signing an over the hill vet to such a deal, this was one of many.

Before you totally throw another local player under the bus, remember he was very active in local charity efforts and in the marketing campaigns. He was the guy for the Argos inn2017 and ditched for some nominal payment. A sad endictment of the new austere CFL.

Gill The Thrill
04-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Before you totally throw another local player under the bus, remember he was very active in local charity efforts and in the marketing campaigns. He was the guy for the Argos inn2017 and ditched for some nominal payment. A sad endictment of the new austere CFL....and he was most likely paid for appearance fees for most, if not all of the marketing events...so cry me a river.

By the way, I'm one of the biggest proponents of local players in the CFL and on the Argos throughout their history, but Foley always rubbed me the wrong way with his self-serving tweets as other posters have pointed out. To me, it always looked liked he was pumping himself more than the Argos and the CFL...that's so millennial of him, so I'm not surprised. It really hasn't benefitted the team over the years as attendance didn't really get better, if not worse, so that tells you I may not be alone in my opinion of him.

Decent player yes, but his off-season career was always a lesson on how not to negotiate. Did he ever leave a team on good terms????

Jon Gonzo
04-01-2017, 12:30 PM
I really disagree. This is Foley playing the media game to make himself look like a victim. As I mentioned before, when the Argos didn't offer Chad Owens a contract, he took the high road. I guess that's the difference between Chad and Ricky. To somewhat quote Ricky, "stay classy."

Agreed. Ricky's got the type of pride necessary of a successful pro and probably had his nose out of joint (not going on the caravan, back-up contract offer) and he was playing contract poker. What I don't like to see is other former Argos chiming in with "typical Argo move."

Move forward. PRO Program; everything professionally done all the time. Important. In the meantime, a couple of things may fall through the cracks a little.

If he still wants to play, he'll have to accept a back up contract anyway. There seems to be a little interest in Ottawa, from fans anyway.

As for some previous comment regarding Foley being a potential HOF'er, I just figured as a 3x Grey Cup winner and a Grey Cup MVP with 343 tackles that it was somewhat automatic. But I did a little research and I am most probably wrong on that call.

He still had a remarkable career and was a great team mate and pro. We are all guilty of a little pride at times.

1971GreyCup
04-01-2017, 12:37 PM
...and he was most likely paid for appearance fees for most, if not all of the marketing events...so cry me a river.

By the way, I'm one of the biggest proponents of local players in the CFL and on the Argos throughout their history, but Foley always rubbed me the wrong way with his self-serving tweets as other posters have pointed out. To me, it always looked liked he was pumping himself more than the Argos and the CFL...that's so millennial of him, so I'm not surprised. It really hasn't benefitted the team over the years as attendance didn't really get better, if not worse, so that tells you I may not be alone in my opinion of him.

Decent player yes, but his off-season career was always a lesson on how not to negotiate. Did he ever leave a team on good terms????

Real fat cat fees for locals Gil the Thrill? The Argos shared those fees with me when we offered to run Huddle Up locally. By the way, they don't cover much more than auto expenses. I have a lot more respect for the players and what they give back locally after than experience. Foley, Durie, Owens, Yurichuk, Black & Holmes
Gave selflessly to local causes, brand awareness. Too bad much of the cap is used up on QBs, INT and so the money has to be saved on local's bonuses. Any other industry would be ashamed to carry that out. Especially in public.

Will
04-01-2017, 01:21 PM
The Argos ultimately admitted that Foley learned of his release by text message. While this is certainly far from the preferred method of sharing this information with a player, the explanation the Argos provided is enough to cut them slack although I do still have a few questions:

(1) The method for releasing a player must be written in stone somewhere. What constitutes proper service (to use a legal term) of such news to a player?

(2) I get the bonus kicked in on April 1 and that is a part of the reason I asked the question I did in (1), but the statement was released in the morning yesterday. Could it not have waited until the afternoon?

OV Argo
04-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Real fat cat fees for locals Gil the Thrill? The Argos shared those fees with me when we offered to run Huddle Up locally. By the way, they don't cover much more than auto expenses. I have a lot more respect for the players and what they give back locally after than experience. Foley, Durie, Owens, Yurichuk, Black & Holmes
Gave selflessly to local causes, brand awareness. Too bad much of the cap is used up on QBs, INT and so the money has to be saved on local's bonuses. Any other industry would be ashamed to carry that out. Especially in public.

Interesting take.

This new Argo regime - IMO - won't give a flying **** about local talent or flavor. Love to be proven wrong there though.

Jimmy P is probably bummed cause that clown Tillspin in the Hammer beat him to putting all-american football super-hero names like Johnny Football or RGIII on their neg list. Those types are what can make the CANADIAN Football League great, or at least more 'Merican like. And $M$ bucks are best spent on real talent in this league - weak talent, over-rated stiff back-up QBs just need to be paid big bucks and enough of these no talent Canadian players gouging CFL GMs for wayyy too much money (one of the finest CFL cliche/fibs that gets constantly bleated by football "reporters" up here and dutifully repeated by some dupes on some CFL fan forums). Only need 7 of dem NI starters anyhow.

AngeloV
04-01-2017, 01:35 PM

You can't compare pro sports to any other industry. You and I work in the same industry, albeit at very different levels. How is this any different than our industry saying goodbye to long time staff in order to outsource their jobs to India for considerably less $$$?

We all know pro sports is a cruel business. Most of all, the players that participate know it before they decide to go into it.

1971GreyCup
04-01-2017, 02:15 PM
I have never seen an industry that thanks their employees for marketing or charitable initiatives then releases them before a pittance of a bonus is due. What's the value of local media, traditional and social repeating how sad this is?

I say pay him, keep him active in the community and make a personnel decision at training camp. I'd also love see the Argos blatantly and publicly blow a lid off the salary cap. Make some noise in this market. Not the reverberated Durie, Foley and Whittaker (sad) stories. Used to be the bad, arrogant Argos. It sold papers too.

That is what makes the CFL these days.

jerrym
04-01-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm sorry to see Foley leave as he was (emphasis on was) a fine player who also did considerable work in the community but as a player who would be 35 before the season the drop-off in play level was visible last year. Its too bad that it could not have ended in a better manner.

Argo57
04-01-2017, 03:16 PM

This is how I see it as well Angelo, he had no issue leaving for Regina in 2013 (which was his right).
Bottom line is the team didn't feel that they were getting value for the dollar anymore so they did what they had to do, can't argue with that.

Shatto
04-01-2017, 03:21 PM
For those who have empathized with management's position on the Foley situation, let me state clearly that on the whole I agree with the points you make ----yes- age, diminishing performance and high salary mitigate the necessity of restructuring his contract----yes -his foolish stubbornesss to avoid any contact with the team was wrong----yes- we are not privy to what communication the team had with his agent or left as phone messages- --yes- the administration was probably frustrated with their inability to reach him.

However, the point I was trying to a make (obviously not very well), is that if the administration had acted with more foresight and better planning they could have avoided the bad press they brought on themselves

This is my last comment on this matter, as someone previously said, "time to move on"

Will
04-01-2017, 03:30 PM
For those who have empathized with management's position on the Foley situation, let me state clearly that on the whole I agree with the points you make ----yes- age, diminishing performance and high salary mitigate the necessity of restructuring his contract----yes -his foolish stubbornesss to avoid any contact with the team was wrong----yes- we are not privy to what communication the team had with his agent or left as phone messages- --yes- the administration was probably frustrated with their inability to reach him.

However, the point I was trying to a make (obviously not very well), is that if the administration had acted with more foresight and better planning they could have avoided the bad press they brought on themselves

This is my last comment on this matter, as someone previously said, "time to move on"

No doubt it resulted in a PR mess, which the age of social media makes harder to prevent.

paulwoods13
04-01-2017, 03:37 PM
No doubt it resulted in a PR mess, which the age of social media makes harder to prevent.

As a PR mess, this is pretty mild. Half-day wonder in the media, with a lot of fans actually taking mgmt.'s side.

AngeloV
04-01-2017, 04:38 PM

Not so sure about that. Foley loves his social media, and IMO would have spun it to put the Argos in a bad light regardless of how it was handled. He would have been the first to fire, therefore his point of view would be the first that people would defend.

jerrym
04-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Foley's release is part of Popp's new regime plan.

The new Toronto Argonauts regime, led by general manager Jim Popp, has asked several veterans to restructure their contracts, per sources.
Several of those players asked to be released, restructure or traded when the team was without a general manager or head coach in late January and early February, hoping to take advantage of the free agent market. Now they are being asked to restructure after teams around the league have allocated a significant portion of their cap money for 2017.
Canadian linebacker Thomas Miles was asked to restructure and then got released on Feb. 28, just before a roster bonus was due on March 1. He quickly inked a deal with the Bombers after the Argos sent him packing.
Sources say one of the players the Argos are asking to take a pay cut is Canadian defensive end Ricky Foley, he’s due a roster bonus April 1. The 34-year-old, who missed four games last season with a flared nerve in his foot, previously held the longest active consecutive games played streak at 182.
It’s worth noting that when playing for current Argos defensive coordinator and then-Riders head coach Corey Chamblin, Foley rang up 20 sacks in two seasons (2013 and 2014) with Saskatchewan, while winning a Grey Cup together in 2013.
Foley has played 32 games over the past two seasons for the double blue, recording 69 tackles, 10 sacks and two forced fumbles. From 2010-2012 Foley suited up for the Argos, including starting in Toronto’s 2012 victory in the 100th Grey Cup where he made four tackles, one sack and recovered a fumble to earn Most Valuable Canadian in that CFL championship game.

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/30/argos-asking-veterans-to-restructure-contracts/

argotom
04-01-2017, 10:26 PM
At 35, Foley is no longer the force he once was and was being platooned last year.

Rich
04-02-2017, 01:38 AM
I'll bet Corey Chamblin had some input into this decision. If he really strongly believed in Foley and wanted him on his defence, they wouldn't have made the move. Maybe it wasn't all kum-ba-ya back in Riderville between those two after all.

Wobbler
04-02-2017, 01:54 AM
I emphatically hope that he was involved in the decision.

doubleblue
04-02-2017, 11:31 AM
At 35, Foley is no longer the force he once was and was being platooned last year.

I think we should have seen this move coming a mile away. Once a high paid veteran starts to lose a step or two in a Salary Cap League it's time to move on. Younger cheaper. That's the tough part of being a GM.

AngeloV
04-02-2017, 12:04 PM

Did he face right handed QB's or left handed? You do realize that all teams rotate their D-lineman now, right?

OV Argo
04-02-2017, 12:21 PM
I think we should have seen this move coming a mile away. Once a high paid veteran starts to lose a step or two in a Salary Cap League it's time to move on. Younger cheaper. That's the tough part of being a GM.

Ahem; I believe I brought up here the possibility of Foley being a cost-$avings cut awhile back (and also just before the move was made). Older, and fairly expensive $MS player = not too surprising. Plus if DE is going to be a pencilled-in for imports only position, Foley has the wrong passport. Not sure why that TC competition was not the main factor instead here - as it should be - who are the great DE prospects the Argos have on the roster who will be an easy upgrade over Foley? - maybe they assume that ex-NFLer Victor Butler will be? How much was this roster bonus Ricky was due? - a massive amount of money that saved the team financially for the year ? Another @$$-backwards move by this regime - sorry bout the negative waves or heretical thoughts though.

paulwoods13
04-03-2017, 10:53 AM
How much was this roster bonus Ricky was due? - a massive amount of money that saved the team financially for the year ?

It doesn't have to be a massive amount to be useful being spent elsewhere. If the team cut the guy in camp, some posters here would blast them for having wasted the bonus money.

Jon Gonzo
04-03-2017, 11:24 AM
It doesn't have to be a massive amount to be useful being spent elsewhere. If the team cut the guy in camp, some posters here would blast them for having wasted the bonus money.

Running a business can be, and often is hard. No one said it'd be easy. Foley was susceptible no matter what. The slots have to fit with the pieces. It's like money ball.

OV Argo
04-03-2017, 11:31 AM

You mean like the amount of money that Jimmy P could use to attract another over the hill/ washed-up ex-NFL/all-american hero like Ochocinco or Michael Sam to sign in the CFL ? Or maybe the kind of money to sign an over-rated clown act like Duron Carter to an extra big CFL contract ?

AngeloV
04-03-2017, 01:44 PM
You mean like the amount of money that Jimmy P could use to attract another over the hill/ washed-up ex-NFL/all-american hero like Ochocinco or Michael Sam to sign in the CFL ? Or maybe the kind of money to sign an over-rated clown act like Duron Carter to an extra big CFL contract ?

Michael Sam? You are the one that always boasts about players putting up good college numbers not getting a shot. Michael Sam was arguably the best LB at the NCAA level and you are complaining about him getting a shot. I guess not everyone can be Jerome Herdman. SMH.

OV Argo
04-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Michael Sam? You are the one that always boasts about players putting up good college numbers not getting a shot. Michael Sam was arguably the best LB at the NCAA level and you are complaining about him getting a shot. I guess not everyone can be Jerome Herdman. SMH.

You figure all-american hero worshipper Jimmy P offered Michael Sam anywhere close to a CFL minimum contract to get him to come to Montreal ? How much would the "savings" be, between what Sam was offered and league minimum, that could have been applied to other parts of the roster?

Let me guess though - Jimmy P is now one of your heroes as a great Argo leader, and any questioning of him here should not be tolerated / or attacked ?

AngeloV
04-03-2017, 03:32 PM
You figure all-american hero worshipper Jimmy P offered Michael Sam anywhere close to a CFL minimum contract to get him to come to Montreal ? How much would the "savings" be, between what Sam was offered and league minimum, that could have been applied to other parts of the roster?

Let me guess though - Jimmy P is now one of your heroes as a great Argo leader, and any questioning of him here should not be tolerated / or attacked ?

No, it's just amazing how you have different standards for different players based on their status.

ArgoGabe22
04-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Hear Ricky's side of the story - https://theathletic.com/49655/2017/04/05/ricky-foley-says-argos-asked-him-to-take-50-per-cent-pay-cut-then-released-him-by-text/

I'm not affiliated with the Athletic but will recommend to subscribe. They do plan to cover the Argos more if the interest is there.

Gill The Thrill
04-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Hear Ricky's side of the story - https://theathletic.com/49655/2017/04/05/ricky-foley-says-argos-asked-him-to-take-50-per-cent-pay-cut-then-released-him-by-text/

I'm not affiliated with the Athletic but will recommend to subscribe. They do plan to cover the Argos more if the interest is there.

The Athletic looks more like a publication from Toronto FC, so how could you expect anything positive about a CFL transaction from them. Every other link was a TFC story.

As far as covering the Argos, I won't hold my breath, traditional media sources have said the same thing for years even during the good seasons the Argos were having with attendance hitting 25k plus at the dome as an average.

Stevoman
04-05-2017, 08:28 PM
This is the interview they got the story from:https://soundcloud.com/user-801774913/episode-45-ricky-foley-speaks-on-argos-breakup

Kind of bizarre. Sounds like he was willing to take the pay cut and agreed to go into rotation but then was suddenly released.

AngeloV
04-05-2017, 09:03 PM
This is the interview they got the story from:https://soundcloud.com/user-801774913/episode-45-ricky-foley-speaks-on-argos-breakup

Kind of bizarre. Sounds like he was willing to take the pay cut and agreed to go into rotation but then was suddenly released.

Again, that is his story. Remember, it's also been reported that his agent told the Argos he didn't want to talk prior to the release. That's their story. I bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

OV Argo
04-05-2017, 10:36 PM
Regardless of how or why Foley is gone - Argos NI talent on D is pretty thin now maybe (and arguably league worst). Greenwood & Miles gone too.

Hopefully Waud can step-up: Gabriel maybe a very good safety; vet Matt Black around (for just good ole "depth" i guess?); Walker & Newton around but pretty unproven; vet Yurichuck coming back ? Finley & Webster signed as FAs but haven't done much in the CFL so far.

Seems to make sense to use some draft picks on some D players (very good to decent crop there at all position groups IMO) ? I'll believe that when I see it.

Harpastum
04-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Well if they've decided to go with an unproven & younger D - then I'm looking forward to seeing them prove themselves.
And if this turns out to be a bad move - then I'll just sit there quietly & cry into my overpriced beer...
Well - maybe not TOO quietly!

Will
04-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Well if they've decided to go with an unproven & younger D - then I'm looking forward to seeing them prove themselves.
And if this turns out to be a bad move - then I'll just sit there quietly & cry into my overpriced beer...

Sounds like a sensible solution.

jerrym
04-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Regardless of how or why Foley is gone - Argos NI talent on D is pretty thin now maybe (and arguably league worst). Greenwood & Miles gone too.

Hopefully Waud can step-up: Gabriel maybe a very good safety; vet Matt Black around (for just good ole "depth" i guess?); Walker & Newton around but pretty unproven; vet Yurichuck coming back ? Finley & Webster signed as FAs but haven't done much in the CFL so far.

Seems to make sense to use some draft picks on some D players (very good to decent crop there at all position groups IMO) ? I'll believe that when I see it.

Yah, I'm nervous about the upcoming season in terms of National depth on defence also, but it was to be expected in a Popp world.

jerrym
04-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Sounds like a sensible solution.

Maybe the best solution. :hi:

Neely2005
05-10-2017, 06:03 PM
@Foley4Real: Zero Dark Thirty-95 activated...

https://twitter.com/Foley4Real/status/862346951894945793

jerrym
05-23-2017, 09:48 PM
@Foley4Real: Zero Dark Thirty-95 activated...

https://twitter.com/Foley4Real/status/862346951894945793

Foley's tweet was meant to say he was going off-line until he signs. However, he still hasn't signed but is currently talking to several teams.

Veteran Canadian defensive end Ricky Foley is in talks with multiple CFL franchises.
That said, the 34-year-old is willing to be patient and if a deal can’t be reached, he’ll wait until ratio scenarios and injuries play out at training camps across the league before making a decision. He’s only putting pen to paper with a team that can win and doesn’t want to go through another 5-13 season that ends in October.
“I could care less about money, I’ve been very fortunate and blessed outside of football. I want to be part of a great locker room again, where everybody commits to the same thing again…a championship,” Foley says. “I want to still love the game when I’m done because it has done so much for me and my family. If there isn’t an opportunity with who I think is a serious contender, I’m done.”
Back on May 10, Foley sent out a cryptic Tweet that some took as an indication he had signed with a team. ...

But the Tweet was only intended to signify that Foley was going off the grid until he signs.

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/23/ricky-foley-drawing-interest-several-teams/

Will
05-23-2017, 11:12 PM
He's not going back to Regina. Wally isn't taking him back.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8