PDA

View Full Version : Argonaut Announcer

ticatfan
05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
A friend of mine is auditioning for the PA announcer job with the Argos. I know the previous guys haven't always been the best. What do you look for and what do you not want to hear?

Will
05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Well, the first thing I want is accuracy! It got to the point last year where we were poking fun at Nathan Downer by saying it was "4th and 94" and "4th and 105" and so on. He also made mistakes with identifying players, although in that case he's only as good as his spotter.

I want someone who will get the crowd enthusiastic, although I'm not sure if I want a full-blown homer either. I liked Paul Morris' monotone announcement of "Toronto goal scored by #17 Wendel Clark, assist by #93 Doug Gilmour and #14 Dave Andreychuk, time thirteen fifty three." But, I'd also argue that Morris didn't need to be overly enthusiastic because the MLG crowd was much more boisterous than the Air Canada Centre.

ticatfan
05-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks Will. I remember the accuracy thing from last year. Had a quick search, but it seems that the thread only go back so far.

argomANIA
05-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I want someone who is a fan of the league and the Argos. I hated when the names were butchered last year

1argoholic
05-01-2012, 12:09 PM
It needs to be a great radio type voice not some little squeaky voice. During tv games the guy from last year would piss me off and I live thousands of miles away. You could hear him during breaks in the play.

gilthethrill
05-01-2012, 01:14 PM
What ever happened to lou jaffe?

AngeloV
05-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Most important thing is to get to know the league. Nothing worse than when a veteren player gets his name pronounced incorrectly.

Will
05-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks Will. I remember the accuracy thing from last year. Had a quick search, but it seems that the thread only go back so far.

That might've been only on Friends of the Argonauts and not Argo Fans.

ArgoRavi
05-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Fred Locking was the quintessential PA announcer - just give the facts and don't be yelling and screaming. That is all that is necessary.

AngeloV
05-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Fred Locking was the quintessential PA announcer - just give the facts and don't be yelling and screaming. That is all that is necessary.

Yes, how times have changed. I would go on, but I might have some idiot PM me and tell me to stop living in the past...or something like that anyways.

gilthethrill
05-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Yes, I was trying to recall his name....he was great.

argotom
05-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Not yelling, loud enough to hear and right on time after each play for each team.
But I do want a homer type that will/can stir up the crowd.

paulwoods13
05-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Not yelling, loud enough to hear and right on time after each play for each team.
But I do want a homer type that will/can stir up the crowd.

Don't think it's possible to have it both ways, AT. If you don't want yelling (and I certainly don't), you have to get the fans pumped up some other way than through the announcer.

No question Fred Locking was the greatest we've ever had.

LLB997
05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
i want someone enthusiastic, monotone doesn't work in 2012 . It would also be nice if he owned a sledgehammer and could get around to smashing the "fistpump cam".

Mulder
06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Chris Lyons is the new announcer for the Argo's I'll see what I can find about him

Nob
06-15-2012, 02:36 PM
I know Chris Lyons very well. Great guy. Knows and understands football. He has a great voice for this. He has also done this job for the University of Western Ontario Mustangs football games. He started out doing our London Falcon games in the OVFL and some other stuff.

Great, great guy. I couldn't be happier for Chris, or the Argos. He will do well. Knows his stuff, and makes it fun.

Will
06-15-2012, 03:34 PM
The key thing is that he has experience. I sometimes wonder (and I exaggerate) whether Nathan Downer had ever watched a CFL game in his life!

gilthethrill
06-15-2012, 05:00 PM
The key thing is that he has experience. I sometimes wonder (and I exaggerate) whether Nathan Downer had ever watched a CFL game in his life!

Downer does do a fine job on CP24.

Will
06-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Perhaps, but that doesn't necessarily qualify him for the other job.

gilthethrill
06-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Perhaps, but that doesn't necessarily qualify him for the other job.

I agree with you 100%....

crmsntide
06-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks so much for the kind words, had a blast at my first game. Pretty sure I made a few mistakes, but think it went pretty well. Any kind of constructive pointers would be helpful. Thanks,Chris

AngeloV
06-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks so much for the kind words, had a blast at my first game. Pretty sure I made a few mistakes, but think it went pretty well. Any kind of constructive pointers would be helpful. Thanks,Chris

I like the voice..kind of an enthusiastic Fred Lockingish...but what was with only identifying players by their last names? Did they not give you a roster sheet with first and last names? I left my roster sheet at home today, and it made it tougher to identify the players. Other than that..good job!!

ArgoZ
06-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Bring back the ARRRGOOS deep sounding music/horn and let the fans yell ARRRGOOOS with no announcer drowning them out. It used to give me chills when we did it right.

tc23
06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Pay attention to detail, Jackson did a qb sneak and you said it was Ray. Not Bad though, A little more enthusiasm would be good !! Get the Crowd going a little more !

Will
06-19-2012, 11:00 PM
You were somewhat difficult to hear at times, but that may be a product of the sound system in Rogers Centre and screaming children. Otherwise, I was pretty impressed.

Nob
06-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Chris - I wasn't at he game (that darned BC thing......) but I would suggest that you should make reference to those great London Falcon junior teams.......lol!

I look forward to hearing your voice in the background during the tv games. Wish I was there but you know that I am in spirit.

And send some pepperettes out to BC!!! Jo and the boys say "hi"

crmsntide
06-20-2012, 07:36 AM
tc23, my bad, I saw it right afterwards and did not have time to fix it as the players had broken the huddle and I am not allowed to talk at that point. Argofan87, I assume that is just getting used to a new system, for me anyway, and will get better as I get used to the mike etc. Nob, I am sure I could feel you there is spirit, say hi to Jo and the boys, and I will see if I can find a way to get some pepps to you. C

paulwoods13
06-20-2012, 07:52 AM
I like the voice..kind of an enthusiastic Fred Lockingish...but what was with only identifying players by their last names? Did they not give you a roster sheet with first and last names? I left my roster sheet at home today, and it made it tougher to identify the players. Other than that..good job!!

Agreed -- good job for first game but we definitely need both first and last names. Thanks for asking for our feedback.

argomANIA
06-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Bring back the ARRRGOOS deep sounding music/horn and let the fans yell ARRRGOOOS with no announcer drowning them out. It used to give me chills when we did it right.

I too want the "First Down AAAAAAAAAARRRRGOS" back. Where the fans yell Argos.
Other then that, you did great for your first shot.

T-Bone
06-20-2012, 10:52 AM
tc23, my bad, I saw it right afterwards and did not have time to fix it as the players had broken the huddle and I am not allowed to talk at that point. Argofan87, I assume that is just getting used to a new system, for me anyway, and will get better as I get used to the mike etc. Nob, I am sure I could feel you there is spirit, say hi to Jo and the boys, and I will see if I can find a way to get some pepps to you. C
I would just like to say thank you for coming on here and opening up a dialog with the fans, it's appreciated. For a first time out I thought you did a good job and I'm looking forward to the next game.

mchesher03
06-20-2012, 12:39 PM
I too want the "First Down AAAAAAAAAARRRRGOS" back. Where the fans yell Argos.
Other then that, you did great for your first shot.

Agreed - I like the consistent "first down - arrrrrrrrgoooos' - something to look fwd to with every first down we get (plus annoying for the visitors)

the horn to get the arrrrrrrrrrrrgooooooooooos is a great touch too

CptArcher
06-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks for visiting the forum. Please see my thread entitled "Argos brass need to make a decision about game day atmosphere."

BATKINSON001
06-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Agreed - I like the consistent "first down - arrrrrrrrgoooos' - something to look fwd to with every first down we get (plus annoying for the visitors)

the horn to get the arrrrrrrrrrrrgooooooooooos is a great touch too

this would be cool. more fan involvement.

For the new Announcer, can you see if anything can be done to turn down the music (or if possible completely replace it with what is used at the Hamilton stadium - Rock music), it is quite hard to have a conversation or even get the fans involved in cheering if they keep getting drowned out by the music.

great work on Tuesday though.

crmsntide
06-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Batkinson: Since I am new to this, I don't have a whole lot of pull just yet, give it time tho!lol I will certainly mention to them about the number of people who feel the music is too loud etc. If it doesn't change, don't be blaming me! C

Mulder
06-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Awesome!

I wasn't able to attend the pre-season game. Look forward to the home opener! It's Great that you are interacting with us here

Maybe you can give a shout out to Argofans.com for all your argo talk :)

ArgoZ
06-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Another thread just reminded me of something. I don't know how influencual you can become, but I know quite a lot of fans would go crazy to see the return of the "Cheese Race"

BATKINSON001
06-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Another thread just reminded me of something. I don't know how influencual you can become, but I know quite a lot of fans would go crazy to see the return of the "Cheese Race" what is that? Before my time as an Argos fan

Will
06-24-2012, 09:24 AM
You took the time to learn how to pronounce all the player's names at Fan Day. While that may seem like an automatic thing for you to do Chris, it was something that was possibly ignored the last few seasons by whomever was doing the introductions at Fan Day before.

ArgoGabe22
07-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Not to sound like an ahole but I think you did a good job except for proper pronounciation of Simmons and Bauman. Unless the media guide tells differently. You called them Simons and Bowman. Great job for a new guy, I've been to a few Western games and recognized your voice.

CptArcher
07-07-2012, 08:12 PM
I like the new guy. Much better than the old one.

1argoholic
07-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Lets just say on tv today the crowd on 21,000 sounded like 5,OOO and didn't look much better. I guess people got there wish with no SH!T music between plays but it was a total dead zone on tv.

AngeloV
07-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Not to sound like an ahole but I think you did a good job except for proper pronounciation of Simmons and Bauman. Unless the media guide tells differently. You called them Simons and Bowman. Great job for a new guy, I've been to a few Western games and recognized your voice.

Still needs to identify first and last names of players. This isn't Paul Morris of the late 60's "Toronto goal by Keon".

Will
07-08-2012, 12:20 AM
That's "Toronto goal by No. 14 Keon!" :)

AngeloV
07-08-2012, 07:15 AM
That's "Toronto goal by No. 14 Keon!" :)

Thanks for the correction. I haven't kept up with my Leafs classics lately. LOL!!

Mulder
07-08-2012, 09:46 AM
I really noticed a difference with the music not being so loud. Told T-Bone in the first quarter. It was pretty nice.

paulwoods13
07-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Still needs to identify first and last names of players.

This is especially true considering how many new players the Argos have. There seem to be a ton of guys whose first names I have yet to fully absorb.

ArgoRavi
07-08-2012, 02:23 PM
This is especially true considering how many new players the Argos have. There seem to be a ton of guys whose first names I have yet to fully absorb.

Me too, Paul. I keep thinking that Summers' first name is Demetrius.

ArgoRavi
07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the correction. I haven't kept up with my Leafs classics lately. LOL!!

Have you noticed that those Sunday Night Leaf Classics have becoming classics themselves as they were all taped about ten years ago? ESPN's CFL Classics have a similar problem with a mustachioed Chris Schultz still hosting them. :D

CptArcher
07-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Me too, Paul. I keep thinking that Summers' first name is Demetrius.
I must say I'm agreed.

marcwagz
07-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Lets just say on tv today the crowd on 21,000 sounded like 5,OOO and didn't look much better. I guess people got there wish with no SH!T music between plays but it was a total dead zone on tv.

what really?
on the home side of the field the seats were packed, I was in mediocre seats and their were people packed in all around me.
maybe they just showed the wrong side of the field on tv

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/marcwagz/WP_000114.jpg

CptArcher
07-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I watched the VOD on TSN.ca and it looked much more full in person, although I sit in the endzone. The blue seats at RC stick out like a sore thumb on TV when empty. In person you need to be looking at the seats from across the stadium in order to truly appreciate how full or empty they are.

Will
07-08-2012, 05:52 PM
For some reason the Argos have lots of problems selling tickets on the west side of the dome. It makes that side look one-sided in favor of opposition fans.

Mulder
07-08-2012, 06:29 PM
For some reason the Argos have lots of problems selling tickets on the west side of the dome. It makes that side look one-sided in favor of opposition fans.

I think after this Grey Cup, the argos have to take a close look at their pricing structure.
I took a look at the Riders Pricing.

Centre Field - $68 Compared to $75 for Argos
Between the 45 and 25 - $63 - $75 for Argos
25 to Endzone sidelines - $56 - $53 for Argos
Sideline Endzone - $47 - $31 for Argos
Endzone - $30 - $23 for Argos

They need to lower the midfield seats and raise the price of the lower tiers make it so it the casual says "well if we spend $10 more we can sit here" instead of the current $20+ difference

1argoholic
07-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Believe me that was the side they show on tv and it looked empty and sounded pretty quiet.

paulwoods13
07-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Believe me that was the side they show on tv and it looked empty and sounded pretty quiet.

TV cameras are set up on the west side and point towards the east (Argo bench) side stands, actually.

Torontolaw
07-18-2012, 09:59 AM
So tell me, what does everyone think of the new P.A. announcer?.....

Torontolaw
07-18-2012, 10:20 AM
what do you think of him? were you at the opener

argotom
07-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I was going to start a thread.
Anyway the man is horrid, no excitement in his voice and he puts me to sleep as well as many of my dome neighbours.
Surely we could have done better?

Torontolaw
07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Glad to know I am not the only one....I think he took sominex before the game

AngeloV
07-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Other than the fact he doesn't identify the players by first and last name, I like him. I'll take him over the yelling and screeming homer pa guys that have become the norm these days.

argomANIA
07-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I like him, he's learning. He posts on here asks our opinions and tries to work with it.

paulwoods13
07-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Other than the fact he doesn't identify the players by first and last name, I like him. I'll take him over the yelling and screeming homer pa guys that have become the norm these days.

Guess we'll see what happens tonight but there really is no excuse for not giving first names as well as last names. It's one extra word. It may be that the spotter is not giving the first name to him.

Torontolaw
07-18-2012, 02:14 PM
I agree he is much better than that nathan character.. He was horrible. This guy just needs to get a little more oomph in his voice. Doesnt have to be a homer but just a little more cadence

argotom
07-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Yes but we are dealing with two extremes, the original guy and the new one.
Something in between would be good.

Argos
07-18-2012, 11:56 PM
First game this season I've been to tonight.. I found the announcer a bit mumbling much of the time, and the people around me said the same. When he'd get some enthusiasm, we could understand him, but most of what he said was all but impossible to deduce, particularly after plays. It wasn't a volume thing, it's more about enunciation and remembering to pause slightly between words because of the echo that happens over a PA system.

When there was a bit more enthusiasm, he seems like he'd be clearer and very good. I'm not a fan of the screamers either, just would help to be a little clearer on enunciation.

Thanks for coming on here and communicating with the fans, it's definitely appreciated!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8