PDA

View Full Version : 2017 starters?

Wobbler
04-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Sweeting(BC) - Sears(BHB) - Gabriel*(S) - Alford(FHB) - Ansah(FC)
Murray(SLB) - McFadden(MLB) - Venable(WLB)
Lemon(DE1/RE) - Cash(DT/NT) - Waud*(DT2) - Butler(DE2)

Morris(LT) - Holmes*(LG) - McEwen*(C) - Deane*(RG) - Perrett*(RT)
Hill(WR1) - Green(SB1) - Jones*(SB2) - Wylie(WR2)
Wilder(RB) - Coombs*(RB2/SB3)
Ray(QB)

paulwoods13
04-27-2017, 07:22 AM
Interesting choices. I have a hard time seeing Whitaker and Van Zeyl out of the starting lineup. I think CVZ beats out Perrett, or beats out Deane at RG. I think Wilder dresses and rotates with Whitaker. I also think Fuller will play one of the receiver positions. I just expect Trestman to load up on veterans when he has that option. I like the eight NAT starters -- would prefer nine but we need at least eight IMO.

Jon Gonzo
04-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Sweeting(BC) - Sears(BHB) - Gabriel*(S) - Alford(FHB) - Ansah(FC)
Murray(SLB) - McFadden(MLB) - Venable(WLB)
Lemon(DE1/RE) - Cash(DT/NT) - Waud*(DT2) - Butler(DE2)

Morris(LT) - Holmes*(LG) - McEwen*(C) - Deane*(RG) - Perrett*(RT)
Hill(WR1) - Green(SB1) - Jones*(SB2) - Wylie(WR2)
Wilder(RB) - Coombs*(RB2/SB3)
Ray(QB)

My initial Depth Chart is close;

B.Harris (BC) - Owusu Ansah (BHB) - Gabriel (S)* - Sears (FHB) - Berry (FC)
Murray (SAM)- McFadden (MLB) - Venable (WIL)
Lemon (DE) - Cash (DT/NT) - Waud (DT)* - Butler (DE)

Morris (LT) - Holmes* (LG) - McEwen* (C) - Deane* (RG) - Van Zeyl* (RT)
Hill (WR) - Green (SB) - Wylie (SB) - Fuller (WR)
Whitaker (RB) - Coombs * (RB/SB)
Ray (QB)

Wobbler
04-27-2017, 11:10 AM
Interesting choices. I have a hard time seeing Whitaker and Van Zeyl out of the starting lineup. I think CVZ beats out Perrett, or beats out Deane at RG. I think Wilder dresses and rotates with Whitaker. I also think Fuller will play one of the receiver positions. I just expect Trestman to load up on veterans when he has that option. I like the eight NAT starters -- would prefer nine but we need at least eight IMO.
I don't feel too strongly about my choices, but my reasoning was that the late signing of Whitaker shows a lack of enthusiasm and that CVZ might have a tough time with the perceived need for an upgrade at RT and the huge competition for the RG job. Other than Jones, the receivers are just guesswork.

AngeloV
04-27-2017, 02:55 PM
I like the eight NAT starters -- would prefer nine but we need at least eight IMO.

Can't wait for a certain response to this.

Wobbler
04-27-2017, 04:00 PM

Ray (QB)
Harris is probably a good choice at boundary corner. The main reason I went with Sweeting is that I like his height.

gilthethrill
04-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Alford won't make it to main camp.

OV Argo
04-27-2017, 07:02 PM

Ray (QB)

Only one of all those ex-NFL resume receivers is going to make it (you have Hill) ?

Wylie did not show much last season IMO - I'll bet one or two of them make it (with another on the PR) out of Hill, Posey, Morgan, Brown & Debose - in place of Wylie, and very doubtful the Argos still use that Durie hybrid slot/RB spot that Coombs played last year.

Not sure if this Morris guy is a lock for an OT spot, but he might have a great camp and be considered critical to help protect Argo QBs; but I wouldn't be surprised to see both Van Zeyl & Perrett as the starting OTs, and they then go 5 imports for the starting receivers.

I also think the ex-49er RB (name escapes me now) has a wayyyyy better resume than Wilder, and could be the 2nd back dressed (as a DI) to back-up or rotate with Whitaker.

I'm also hoping a better MLB than McFadden emerges to take the starting spot there.

Will be 7 only NI starters - we have that bet on another thread here.

doubleblue
04-27-2017, 07:56 PM
Only one of all those ex-NFL resume receivers is going to make it (you have Hill) ?

Wylie did not show much last season IMO - I'll bet one or two of them make it (with another on the PR) out of Hill, Posey, Morgan, Brown & Debose - in place of Wylie, and very doubtful the Argos still use that Durie hybrid slot/RB spot that Coombs played last year.

Not sure if this Morris guy is a lock for an OT spot, but he might have a great camp and be considered critical to help protect Argo QBs; but I wouldn't be surprised to see both Van Zeyl & Perrett as the starting OTs, and they then go 5 imports for the starting receivers.

I also think the ex-49er RB (name escapes me now) has a wayyyyy better resume than Wilder, and could be the 2nd back dressed (as a DI) to back-up or rotate with Whitaker.

I'm also hoping a better MLB than McFadden emerges to take the starting spot there.

Wylie didn't jump out a me either last year, he's going to have some competition for sure. Hope Jones and Noel are ready to rotate for one Canadian position. Jones at SB and Noel coming in at WR.

I would like to see a big back like Wilder kept, but Hunter and McDaniel have more NFL experience. But we have seen more than a few of those guys come and go over the years.

I wouldn't be surprised either to see Perrett and Van Zeyl as the starting OT's.

If McFadden is the starting MLB we're in trouble there IMO. Can see Murray and Venerable on the outside though.

A lot of unknowns in the defensive backfield. They could start a veteran 5 of Berry, Sears, Gabriel, Owusu-Ansah and Alford. But I hope that there are some better players in camp in a few of those spots.

Martin, Waud, Cash and Lemon across the DLine?

Wobbler
04-27-2017, 08:00 PM
That would be fine with me, but I doubt that there will be many more signings and the only MLB-sized alternative on the roster is Terrance Plummer. I certainly wouldn't complain if we signed my old favourite Greg Jones, though.

Jon Gonzo
04-27-2017, 10:14 PM

It's a crap shoot with this roster and this new regime coming in. Just basing it on resumes really, and a hunch that Trestman may try Wylie inside. I think having smaller faster guys is an important contrast to the towers. Not even sure if Wylie is durable enough, but he caught the highest percentage of the balls thrown his way last year and maybe Trestman will see if he can get a sure handed possession guy. Someone like Ben Cahoon. (yeah I know) A short yardage underneath possession receiver.

Don't know enough about Morris to wage a decent debate in his honour. You may be right about Perrett. Has he ever been on the left side? I like Jacobs, Morgans, Debose's game tape. All are in the mix I am sure.

As for RB; the player you are referring to is Kendall Hunter.

Who knows really. Lots of discovery yet. Just a stab.

paulwoods13
04-28-2017, 12:11 PM
I don't think we saw enough of McFadden last season to be down on him. He played only eight games and IIRC in two of them he was injured very early. I saw signs that he can play in this league. A lot of guys who fail to impress initially end up being much better in Year 2.

jerrym
04-28-2017, 02:19 PM
It's a crap shoot with this roster and this new regime coming in. Just basing it on resumes really,

Who knows really. Lots of discovery yet. Just a stab.

It is a crapshoot, especially for Internationals and especially when you have a two game preseason with so many players to evaluate for the first time. Over the years, I've seen promising rookies and sometimes even veterans from the previous season disappear quickly when they didn't shine in the first preseason game, even more so with the arrival of a new HC and/or GM. In addition, you have to factor in the fact that Popp tends to have favourites, especially if they already have a reputation of some sort, that he will give time to develop to a greater extent than some other GMs.

Jon Gonzo
04-29-2017, 08:24 AM
I don't think we saw enough of McFadden last season to be down on him. He played only eight games and IIRC in two of them he was injured very early. I saw signs that he can play in this league. A lot of guys who fail to impress initially end up being much better in Year 2.

I see that he's come into Mini Camp looking lighter and very fit. He's not McFatten anymore. A lot of the NFL Type LB's aren't aware how much difference that can make. It took Greg Jones a year to adjust to that also. He deserves a shot. Haven't heard a Coach that didn't like him. But I'd be ready to get something done there too, just in case.

Will
04-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Projected d-line is now: Lemon, Laing, Cash and ???.

OV Argo
04-29-2017, 12:47 PM
Projected d-line is now: Lemon, Laing, Cash and ???.

Ex-NFLer Victor Butler might nail down the other DE spot - once considered a very good pass rusher - in college and with the Cowboys, and signed a big contract with the Saints as a projected starter, then ran into injury problems i think (?); have to learn the CFL game and be fit & healthy though.

Waud to platoon with Laing at one NI D-line position; wonder if Walker sticks as a back-up DE still? Probably another imporet DE dressed to back-up/rotate in ?

paulwoods13
04-29-2017, 01:09 PM
There's little doubt in my mind that we will dress at least six and possibly as many as eight d-linemen. Teams throughout the league have embraced the notion of rotating guys in and out throughout the game, so that there's always four fresh motors out there. If everyone is healthy, I assume we'll dress three, maybe four NATS (Laing, Waud, Walker and/or Finley) and four or five INTs.

jerrym
04-29-2017, 02:32 PM
In the video below, Wilder appears to have a long stride that eats up yards quickly. He reminds me of Robert Drummond. I hope the Argos keep both him and Whitaker.

http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/04/27/james-wilder_day-3-april-27/

Will
04-29-2017, 04:54 PM
Could the Argos choose to use Whitaker (a smaller back) and then Wilder (a bigger back)? Bit of a contrast of styles maybe.

Wobbler
06-18-2017, 12:25 AM
Ansah(BC) - Sears(BHB) - Mitchell(S) - Murray(FHB) - Gabriel*(FC)
Ball(SLB) - Woods(MLB) - Vaughn(WLB)
Lemon(DE1/RE) - Bishop(DT/NT) - Laing*(DT2) - Butler(DE2)

Washington(LT) - Holmes*(LG) - McEwen*(C) - Watman*(RG) - Van Zeyl*(RT)
Edwards(WR1) - Green(SB1) - Fuller(SB2) - Noel*(WR2)
Whitaker(RB) - Coombs*(RB2/SB3)
Ray(QB)

I'm really not sure about the boundary WR; has Posey been better? I'd prefer to have Fuller at SB than at WR. The new staff doesn't seem to regard Jones very highly, so I suspect he'll be backing up Coombs and that our "best" NAT WR (Noel or Ralph, I guess) will start at the field WR position.

ArgoGabe22
06-18-2017, 09:06 AM

Ray(QB)

I'm really not sure about the boundary WR; has Posey been better? I'd prefer to have Fuller at SB than at WR. The new staff doesn't seem to regard Jones very highly, so I suspect he'll be backing up Coombs and that our "best" NAT WR (Noel or Ralph, I guess) will start at the field WR position.

Fuller goes wide, as does Posey on the opposite side I believe. Don't think Noel will be start.

Argocister
06-18-2017, 11:06 AM
I can't remember when Trestman was with the Als ..... Did he have a tendency to play more nationals then just the required 7?

R.J
06-18-2017, 11:32 AM

Ray(QB)

Ball plays Will, and Vaughan would play Sam, and Fuller would most liekly occupy one of the outside receiver spots.

Wobbler
06-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Whoops - I flipped the LBs. Thanks.

As for the receivers, I know that Fuller has generally been a WR. But I think we'll start a Canadian receiver, and unless we're confident that Jones can start at his natural position (SB), that would mean putting a NAT on the boundary. I thought Jones looked good last year and *I* think he can do the job, but Trestman's opinion is slightly more important...

For those of you who watched practices - did Jones get much time with the starters?

Will
06-18-2017, 12:28 PM
FWIW, Cassius Vaughn is still listed as a DB while Rico Murray is listed as an LB. I do not believe that Murray was listed as an LB before, was he?

argolio
06-18-2017, 01:08 PM
For those of you who watched practices - did Jones get much time with the starters?He was hurt at the end of camp.

ArgoGabe22
06-18-2017, 01:12 PM
For those of you who watched practices - did Jones get much time with the starters?

Jones didn't practice at all when I was there, and they didn't occupy a Canadian at another starting position other than Coombs.

R.J
06-18-2017, 01:52 PM
I'd like to see Jones nab one of the starting slots positions, a lot of potential there IMO. I'd be a little surprised if Murray isn't our starting Sam.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8