PDA

View Full Version : Argos sign Cleyon Laing

AngeloV
04-29-2017, 10:11 AM
http://ow.ly/vdbL30bhOZH

Great signing. Funny when you think of all the doom and gloom on here just a couple of months back.

Will
04-29-2017, 10:36 AM
Laing along with Cash should form a nice duo inside on the defensive line. But, we all said that about the defensive line prior to last season. On paper though a defensive line of Lemon, Laing, Cash, Waud and whomever will play that DE spot looks pretty nice indeed.

doubleblue
04-29-2017, 10:40 AM

Great signing. Funny when you think of all the doom and gloom on here just a couple of months back.

I always thought there was a chance he would re-sign in Toronto after exploring the NFL for interest. Kind of makes one DT a ratio spot now for sure, with Waud to rotate.

1971GreyCup
04-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Why is that funny?

paulwoods13
04-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Bravo! So now we know we can start at least two NATs on D. Four on the o-line and two receivers gives us the eight we need for ratio flexibility. If we could somehow land a starting-calibre NAT LB, or go with five on the o-line, we'd have tons of flex.

Wobbler
04-29-2017, 11:51 AM
Yay! No need to rush Waud - although I do hope we give him a serious look in camp.

OV Argo
04-29-2017, 12:48 PM
Why is that funny?

Cause the Argos are a lock to win the GC now with Popp & Trestman in charge ?

1971GreyCup
04-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Cause the Argos are a lock to win the GC now with Popp & Trestman in charge ?

I think the doom and gloom was related to the 3,500 season tickets holders and the demise of Argos interest in he GTA. It was never related to who was lining up at Right Tackle this season. I say, let's get to work on Argos interest now that football operations are in order.

eiben35
04-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Waud will back-up Laing I presume and Brian Jones may not start this season. Canadian starters should be Gabriel and Laing on dee. Tyler Holmes, Sean McEwen, Jeff Perrett if he can play right guard and Chris Van Zeyl and Anthony Coombs. I have a bad feeling that Van Zeyl might get cut if he doesn't take a pay cut.

jerrym
04-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Bravo! So now we know we can start at least two NATs on D. Four on the o-line and two receivers gives us the eight we need for ratio flexibility. If we could somehow land a starting-calibre NAT LB, or go with five on the o-line, we'd have tons of flex.

Great signing and upgrade in National talent and flexibility.

argolio
04-29-2017, 02:30 PM
Great news! I really thought his days as an Argo were over.

AngeloV
04-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Why is that funny?

If I need to explain that to you, I will. It's funny to me to see self proclaimed fans such as yourself jump off the bandwagon before we even know what will be happening personnel and front office wise. You have been the king of negativity on here.

I think the doom and gloom was related to the 3,500 season tickets holders and the demise of Argos interest in he GTA. It was never related to who was lining up at Right Tackle this season. I say, let's get to work on Argos interest now that football operations are in order.

So how is badmouthing them on social media going to help alter this?

1971GreyCup
04-29-2017, 03:51 PM
If I need to explain that to you, I will. It's funny to me to see self proclaimed fans such as yourself jump off the bandwagon before we even know what will be happening personnel and front office wise. You have been the king of negativity on here.

Make no mistake, I was never on your bandwagon. I took holy hell way back early on when I voiced concerns.

Management is always accountable to shareholders and customers. When these two groups voice their concerns, management had better listen. If they don't, there is always a new team who will.

I consider this forum an internal medium for Argo fans limited to about 50. Just like a family. At the dinner table discussions and amongst siblings, discussions can be heated at times. That's healthy. As you are well aware, my Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn are always 100% supportive to the Argos. Just like my discussions/disagreements stay in the family.

I guess your approach of laughing off concerned, caring fans and media is much more productive. I'll be happy to be the first one to admit that I was unduly concerned when a tangible turnaround is in process. Until then, I will offer solutions and will be critical. Where I come from, broke things get fixed.

gilthethrill
04-29-2017, 04:10 PM

I have no problem admitting that I was pessimistic for the coming season after Barker and Milanovich departed. Sure did not envision such a huge reason to be this optimistic for 2017.

The Lainge signing is a huge improvement to our defense BTW.

Argo
04-29-2017, 05:48 PM
I have no problem admitting that I was pessimistic for the coming season after Barker and Milanovich departed.

I was essentially pessimistic until Milanovich and Barker departed. Better to strike off into the unknown to try to find sustenance than remain a huddled heap and starve to death.

Things seem to be working out rather well at this point even after clearly starting at a disadvantage.

doubleblue
04-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Laing along with Cash should form a nice duo inside on the defensive line. But, we all said that about the defensive line prior to last season. On paper though a defensive line of Lemon, Laing, Cash, Waud and whomever will play that DE spot looks pretty nice indeed.

They have a couple of guys Butler and Davis both about 6'2 245 and both former NFL LBers to go with holdover Eric Martin 6'2 260. That seems to be a good size for a rush end in the CFL now. I thought Martin showed some promise in the last few games after signing. Hope Cleyon comes in a little lighter as I thought he looked to have beefed up for the NFL and was a step slower.

OV Argo
04-29-2017, 08:16 PM
They have a couple of guys Butler and Davis both about 6'2 245 and both former NFL LBers to go with holdover Eric Martin 6'2 260. That seems to be a good size for a rush end in the CFL now. I thought Martin showed some promise in the last few games after signing. Hope Cleyon comes in a little lighter as I thought he looked to have beefed up for the NFL and was a step slower.

Yeah - Laing did not do much to impress with Ottawa in his late season stint there last year IMO (got the GC ring and bonu$ though - so smart move by him); small sample size though and maybe it was a case of NFL hang-over (or whatever Ravi calls it) - where a CFL player coming back from an NFL try-out does not look his old CFL self right away ?

Glad Cleon chose to come back to the good ship Argo - wonder if it was mostly about money or if some respect for the team that drafted him and gave him his first pro playing time was a factor too?

Argos D has made some nice off-season additions of vet CFL talent - Laing, with Venable, Cash, Murray and Sears could all be solid starters, I hope.

Laing with Waud at DT might man one NI spot on the D - and maybe mean no need to look to a DT from the good crop there this draft, with early picks anyways, and thus able to look at other positions ? (i have no idea what the thinking would be there)

ArgoGabe22
04-29-2017, 09:50 PM
I'm going to guess that Laing isn't cheap. Nor is SJ Green. I wonder how much cap space we have or had and if Popp's supposed spending over the cap spree in Montreal will transfer here.

Jon Gonzo
04-29-2017, 10:21 PM

That's cos that's what it was a couple of months ago. Never doubt a true reflection, and call it as you see it when you see it.

Jon Gonzo
04-29-2017, 10:35 PM

This is just rich. People that espouse concern don't qualify as fans? Gimme a break. Fans just want their team to contend and have a program that is going in the right direction. Especially important in Toronto right now, and since when is concern a problem? Please man, excuses don't help when people want wins. I think we're all aware of what went down. Don't let the pom poms blow back in your face and cause an accident. Lol

Stevoman
04-30-2017, 12:17 AM
Laing is a great signing. I wonder if the saving of Foley's salary had anything to do with this.

Will
04-30-2017, 08:12 AM
I'm going to guess that Laing isn't cheap. Nor is SJ Green. I wonder how much cap space we have or had and if Popp's supposed spending over the cap spree in Montreal will transfer here.

The Laing signing may not be possible without the release of Foley. I also suspect that some of these FA's signed (though not Green) have incentive-based contracts.

Scooter McCray
04-30-2017, 08:35 AM
What is happening is improvement on the field. When Popp and Trestman were hired I don't think there were many Argo fans that did not think the team would get better. QB is still a question mark as far as Ray's current abilities and durability. The team is one injury away from struggling. But we know they will get better over time now. One year ago I believe there was optimism on the field to be competitive amongst most fans. The real concerns came off the field when pronouncements of making every game an event and filling the stadium and respecting the STH fell flat and rang hollow. Consulting with fans is a good start. Should have been done last year but a good start. Cancelling Argo radio broadcasts without any replacement like team run webcasting or online pre and post game lined up seems to go against the notion of being a first class organization. The ownership should want to have content to provide existing and future fans. The jury is out off the field for me still. They have a lot to show me yet to get over many errors last year.

Wobbler
04-30-2017, 10:52 AM
The Laing signing may not be possible without the release of Foley. I also suspect that some of these FA's signed (though not Green) have incentive-based contracts.
I think our late start in free agency has a silver lining, too. If we had "won" guys like Derek Dennis we probably wouldn't have money for Laing and/or Green.

AngeloV
04-30-2017, 11:00 AM
This is just rich. People that espouse concern don't qualify as fans? Gimme a break. Fans just want their team to contend and have a program that is going in the right direction. Especially important in Toronto right now, and since when is concern a problem? Please man, excuses don't help when people want wins. I think we're all aware of what went down. Don't let the pom poms blow back in your face and cause an accident. Lol

That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I sure as hell didn't see said poster show up for open mic night with team management and express any details of what he thinks might help. Just continues to blast the front office behind his keyboard.

Argo57
04-30-2017, 11:14 AM
That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I sure as hell didn't see said poster show up for open mic night with team management and express any details of what he thinks might help. Just continues to blast the front office behind his keyboard.

Most of the off season was pretty dire TBH Angelo.
IMO the criticism was justified and showed people still care about this franchise and their fortunes.
Widespread apathy however would not bode well for the Argonauts future.
I feel this new management group will get it right given time and have a lot of confidence in Marc Trestman and his staff.

1971GreyCup
04-30-2017, 11:39 AM

You are wrong once again. I have had direct conversations with both Michael Copeland and Sara Moore about these issues. I have been in discussions with Jamie Dykstra as well. I see no point in wasting an evening repeating myself. If they didn't listen to me the first time, why on earth would I try again. I assume you provided your input now as well. Would you provide it again in another forum?

AngeloV
04-30-2017, 12:09 PM
Most of the off season was pretty dire TBH Angelo.
IMO the criticism was justified and showed people still care about this franchise and their fortunes.
Widespread apathy however would not bode well for the Argonauts future.
I feel this new management group will get it right given time and have a lot of confidence in Marc Trestman and his staff.

I agree to a degree, but I felt then as I do now that it was way over the top.

AngeloV
04-30-2017, 12:10 PM
You are wrong once again. I have had direct conversations with both Michael Copeland and Sara Moore about these issues. I have been in discussions with Jamie Dykstra as well. I see no point in wasting an evening repeating myself. If they didn't listen to me the first time, why on earth would I try again. I assume you provided your input now as well. Would you provide it again in another forum?

Well, I guess you can say anything you want about that. If a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Wobbler
04-30-2017, 01:22 PM
Hope Cleyon comes in a little lighter as I thought he looked to have beefed up for the NFL and was a step slower.
According to his Dolphins roster page he put on 20 lbs of weight and 1 inch of height. I guess if he wears a really heavy hat for a few weeks that'll take care of both issues...

Jon Gonzo
04-30-2017, 01:46 PM
I agree to a degree, but I felt then as I do now that it was way over the top.

Warning; The Island of Blind Faith is a lonely place where people have low tops!

Wobbler
04-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Enough sniping and dumb comments, everyone - please. This thread is about Cleyon Laing.

paulwoods13
04-30-2017, 07:49 PM
According to his Dolphins roster page he put on 20 lbs of weight and 1 inch of height. I guess if he wears a really heavy hat for a few weeks that'll take care of both issues...

He likely hasn't grown an inch, but it's possible he has gained 20 pounds -- I sure hope not.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8