View Full Version : Is Austin on hot seat?

Will
05-15-2017, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure if "hot seat" is quite the right word, but consider that the Ticats made it to two consecutive Grey Cups in 2013 and 2014 under his watch. At that time, the team appeared to be developing into an excellent football program with a fine defence and a solid offence led by, yes, Zach Collaros. However, 2015 saw the team lose to Ottawa in the EF and in 2016 the team finished 7-11 and lost to the Eskimos in the "east" semi.

Does another disappointing season in Hamilton put Austin on the "hot seat?" You have to factor in that the Ticats have suffered from the injury bug over the last couple of seasons, but I think another "meh" season in Hamilton will have the natives restless.

Antwon
05-15-2017, 12:37 PM
I don't think Austin is in the hot seat. In the playoffs every year. And has brought a lot of stability and continuity to the franchise.
There's a good core of players that have been there a while.
If anything I think Collaros is under the gun. He did not finish last season strong and played a bit tentative.
If he struggles through the early part of the season, I think Massoli give's Austin a viable option to switch to instead of riding the season out on Collaros.

My two cents.

jerrym
05-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Considering how many years the Tiger Cats were mostly in the doldrums before Austin, I doubt he is in hot seat, at least in the short run.

ArgoRavi
05-16-2017, 12:03 AM
If they don't make the playoffs this year, Austin would likely be finished IMO. If they make it back to the Grey Cup, his job is safe. I don't know how safe is job will be for anything in between those two possibilities though.

Will
05-16-2017, 04:41 PM
If they don't make the playoffs this year, Austin would likely be finished IMO. If they make it back to the Grey Cup, his job is safe. I don't know how safe is job will be for anything in between those two possibilities though.

Is Bob Young a patient person? The Ticats went through a ton of coaches previously, but that was after 3-15 or 4-14 seasons.

R.J
05-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Bob Young seems like a patient person, but I think if the Ticats were to miss the playoffs we could see change in Hamilton. Offensively they need more balance, which lets be honest Kent Austin isn't known for, and defensively Reinebold doesn't have the greatest track record when leading a defence. Could be an interesting year in the Hammer, but I do think that the talent is there.

Argo57
05-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Bob Young seems like a patient person, but I think if the Ticats were to miss the playoffs we could see change in Hamilton. Offensively they need more balance, which lets be honest Kent Austin isn't known for, and defensively Reinebold doesn't have the greatest track record when leading a defence. Could be an interesting year in the Hammer, but I do think that the talent is there.

Here's hoping your observations are correct SnowRogue!!

R.J
05-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Here's hoping your observations are correct SnowRogue!!
As a whole, I think the East will be interesting - no clear cut top team IMO (even though I think Hamilton has the strongest team). East could be for the Argonauts taking if things work out for Trestman & Co.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8